Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you ever use Cliff Notes?

This is the series that summarizes great plays and novels. I used them sporadically in high school and college when I was too overwhelmed with work to read the required books. THey're actually very detailed.

I believe the older iteration was called Monarch Notes and there is a current series called Spark Notes.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2019 3:23 AM

I took a Chaucer class in college, stupidly thinking it would be an easy A and even more stupidly not dropping it when I realized we'd be reading Chaucer as written in Middle English. I had to read the Cliff Notes version to get a general understanding of the story, then read the modern English translation, and then scan the Middle English version to identify the correct passage. I ended up with a C but probably would have failed had it not been for Cliffs Notes.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 6:34 PM

Loved Cliff Notes. Saved my ass in school many times

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Cliff, Monarch, and Spark ere competing brands. Master plots was a staple of most reference departments--didn't have to buy them, but summarized the plot line. And, as a teacher, I can say any good teacher can come up with a good assignment or exam that will foil any student who only uses the cribs.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2019 2:16 AM

OP yes I used them back in high school in the early 2000s when they were called Spark Notes. Sometimes like you I had no time or desire to read every damn page so I'd read the spark notes then skim through the books to write my papers. I also used them in college. I was SHOCKED that some kids were stupid as fuck and would sometimes copy the spark notes word for word in papers or answering written questions which led to plagiarism charges. Spark notes were widely known to teachers by the time I was in college

I'm sure there are other iterations these days especially with social media

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2019 2:16 AM

Gurl I would've never graduated high school without them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2019 2:19 AM

Nope, I’ve always been a voracious reader

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2019 2:19 AM

Yes. I could not get through Moby Dick at 15.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2019 2:20 AM

Fuck yes!! If it wasn't for Cliff Notes I would, never have; grajuated from kollege.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2019 2:24 AM

Yes, used them back when. I imagine the internet has kind of replaced them now.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2019 2:26 AM

Same idea but they were/are called Coles Notes in Canada, and the Coles bookstore who published them sold the US rights to their early ones to Cliff Hillegass who sold them under the CliffsNotes brand (probably after removing the letter u from a bunch of words).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2019 2:27 AM

I used them in college back in the early 80s. If I was struggling with "getting" a particular work, they helped a lot for me to get my bearings, and the context. I did not abuse them, I swear.

I DID NOT INHALE!

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2019 2:28 AM

I read maybe one or two of the assigned texts in my AP Lit class in high school. For the rest I depended on various websites (Millennial here) like Spark Notes. I can't remember if I used Cliff Notes specifically for that. It depends on whether it was available online in the mid-2000s (I was too lazy to consult anything outside my computer). But I did enjoy reading on my own terms, even those heavy tomes sometimes, and I remember a few times looking through the Cliffs Notes for the books I was reading just to be sure I "got" and could fully appreciate the important themes.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2019 2:33 AM

They'd have come in handy when I took Victorian literature one semester. Five Victorian novels, including Jane Eyre, Middlemarch and The Mayor of Casterbridge, in 12 weeks. By the end I was skipping every second/third page just to get through while trying to keep up with all my other reading. I barely passed, and I grew to hate Victorian literature. Which is probably why I hate Gwyneth Paltrow so much.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2019 2:35 AM

12 posts in and not one of us stellar students have mentioned/Oh, Dear'ed us that they are actually called CLIFFS notes!

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2019 2:34 AM

No. I remember not bothering because a few kids in my AP Lit class tried it and all failed because our teacher made sure that all questions and topics were details not mentioned in those books.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2019 2:36 AM

Kids today use Sparknotes. If you say Cliffs Notes they won't know what they are.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2019 2:35 AM

R16 I'm surprised there's nothing newer as Spark Notes were around since at least the early 2000s. I would have thought there'd be twitter and instagram pages dedicated to summarizing middle, high school and college books by now

Spark Notes spread like wildfire back in my high school days because they were online and free. Did people actually buy Cliffs Notes books?

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2019 2:39 AM

R17 Hi, R11 here. Of course we didn't buy them. We shoplifted them.

Kids today, I swear.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2019 2:41 AM

It's a victory if you get kids to read anything nowadays, including Sparknotes. There are youtube summaries that they can watch as well.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2019 2:42 AM

Hey - teacher @R19 - why are kids so bad at writing and grammar, now? My niece is 20 and her handwriting looks like that of a 10 year-old. I thought maybe it was just her, but noticed a lot of young people her age can't write. They can't spell for shit, either.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2019 2:46 AM

I bet kids don't use any of these notes because they'd have to read them.

I would guarantee they just go to Yotube and find something where someone reads them the highlights.

You think I'm joking but I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2019 2:47 AM

R21 here... Yup, as I was saying:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2019 2:47 AM

Bought, but didn't use. Forget for which novel, but the "interpretation" was so basic I would've been embarrassed to include it in my paper.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2019 2:49 AM

R23 So you are saying you bought them, yet were too above them?

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2019 2:51 AM

R20 given the increase in typing on computers and texting on phones, there is less usage of handwriting and those programs have spellcheck so less words are memorized.

When I was in high school, a few privileged rich kids were beginning to bring personal laptops to school to take notes in bust most of us were still handwriting notes. It's my understanding now that it's common for students to bring laptops to school?

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2019 2:50 AM

Was an A student, but had a hard time understanding "Heart of Darkness", so used Monarch Notes or Cliff for the only time; I think lots of folks used to read them instead of reading the book, but that book was one of the most turgid reads I had ever come across.

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2019 2:52 AM

*but most of us

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2019 2:51 AM

They don't teach cursive. Also a lot of kids get diagnosed with "dysgraphia" and get a pass on even trying. Honestly their writing is not as bad as it appears on the internet. But the reason they can't write is because they never, EVER read anything. The way to get good at writing is to read. There is no other way.

Spellcheck doesn't mean much. Kids don't know how to do even the most basic things with a computer, like use spellcheck. I blame it all on a lack of reading.

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2019 2:52 AM

They bring computers to school but they don't take notes. They sit and passively watch PowerPoint presentations. It's the only thing that makes students happy. They feel like that's learning.

by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2019 2:53 AM

I knew Cliff Hillegass, and he was. one of the nicest people I've ever known. He started the company to do summaries of Shakespeare's plays and never dreamed it would go anywhere.

I knew him when he was already rich, and he reminded me of Scrooge on Christmas morning--he took great joy in life, and did everything he could think of to give his money away. He was on the board of several art museums and loved to buy pieces anonymously for their collections.

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2019 2:54 AM

Somebody's family had money!

We were poor and had to the study the standard text books.

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2019 2:59 AM

I just want to say that A Tale of Two Cities was the most boring book of all times in junior high. That book should've come with the Spark Notes attached.

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2019 3:08 AM

That does seem like a tough read for junior high.

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2019 3:12 AM

Hell yes. I was an English major in college and it wasn’t unusual for me to have 3 -5 novels due per week. Seriously. I’d skim the novels for passages that caught my interest but then turn to Cliffs Notes for the plot summary. The “interpretation” was always useless to me because I’d focus on my intriguing passages for the papers and then parse my fave passages for paper mimicking close reading and then BAM get my A.

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2019 3:15 AM

R24, it was simple -- I was desperate and bought one without reading it. Later, when I went to read it, I couldn't use it. What's so strange about that?

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2019 3:17 AM

Yup! I remember the bright yellow covers of Cliffs Notes, you could easily spot them in the bookstores or libraries. Oh boy, bookstores, remember them?

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2019 3:18 AM

I remember using Cliffs Notes a couple of times. I think I used it for "The Prince" by Machiavelli. Now, I realize that book (The Prince) was so damn short, I really didn't need Cliffs Notes.

by Anonymousreply 37March 18, 2019 3:21 AM

R36. I do remember them. I loved them . My safest and most comfortable and most empowering space.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2019 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!