Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's Irish cuisine like?

Is it equally disgusting to the British one?

by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2019 4:38 PM

Mmmmm I love corned beef and cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 1:20 PM

[quote]Is it equally disgusting to the British one?

Learn to speak English.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 1:24 PM

Relatively simple, but quite delicious.

Colcannon is yummy comfort food. Mashed potatoes, cabbage, bacon and onion. Really nice served alongside a hearty Irish stew (usually lamb based)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 1:28 PM

Generally better. Dairy and meat are of a high standard.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 1:29 PM

[quote]Colcannon is yummy comfort food. Mashed potatoes, cabbage, bacon and onion.

There is nothing "yummy" about mashed potatoes that have been ruined with cooked cabbage.

Who says "yummy," anyway?

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 1:32 PM

Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 1:34 PM

Corned beef and cabbage isn't eaten in Ireland. It's an American invention.

The traditional Irish dish is boiled bacon and cabbage served, of course, with potatoes boiled in their skins which you peel yourself at the table.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 1:36 PM

No cuisine that depends on boiled cabbage can be considered worth eating.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 1:37 PM

Corned beef identifies as Irish. How dare you.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 1:38 PM

R7, that sounds colcannon. Or do they all look alike?

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 1:38 PM

Pig's feet (called "crubeens") are considered a delicacy there. That's all you need to know about their cuisine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 1:40 PM

This is DL. We love feets.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]potatoes boiled in their skins which you peel yourself at the table

Why on earth would you peel a boiled potato?

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 1:45 PM

I love colcannon. It's great made with kale instead of cabbage. The trick is to sautee it instead of boil it, and you have to saute it with bacon grease and lots of salt and pepper.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 1:45 PM

˄˄Yes, I like colcannon with kale. Cabbage is a bit bland.

[quote]No cuisine that depends on boiled cabbage can be considered worth eating.

No one depends on boiled cabbage, it's just tasty when you pair it with bacon (or corned beef).

Crubeens aren't a delicacy, just a poor person's snack. It's still popular in some parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 1:49 PM

Crubeens [italic]were[/italic] a poor person's snack, I mean (like a lot of fashionable food).

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 1:51 PM

Cabbage is delicious and under-rated because so many of us have eaten overcooked cabbage in the past.

Irish baked goods, dairy, whisky and beer are all exceptional. The cuisine is simple but hearty and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 1:52 PM

The best restuarants in Eire serve truly great seafood, lamb, and beef, all of it local.

The stuff talked about here is Irish-American slop.

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 1:54 PM

I was surprised by how good the food was when I visited Ireland. It’s a lot of familiar comfort/rustic foods like soups and stews, shepherds pie, potatoes in every form (of course), plus lots of seafood and beef, which are abundant because of the geography. They really know how to make use of cabbage, too. Colcannon is delicious, and as a cole slaw fan I was impressed by the abundance and quality of their cole slaw.

By the way, while it’s not unheard of, corned beef is mostly an Irish American thing. I don’t remember ever seeing it on a menu.

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 1:59 PM

If you like Guinness, or even if you don’t, try it in Ireland. It’s so much better than what we get here.

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 2:00 PM

Irish American food is basically garbage that no one else would eat. In NYC the Irish immigrants lived in tenements among the Jewish and learned how to cook and season meat scraps like brisket, aka corned beef.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 2:02 PM

Corned beef became associated with Irish Americans because they adopted it from their Jewish neighbors in immigrant communities ~150 years ago. It was a cheap meat readily available. When Ireland was part of the UK, the beef raised in Ireland was from farms owned by wealthy Protestants and went to English tables; Irish folks in Ireland could not afford most meat and certainly not beef.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 2:03 PM

[quote]I love colcannon. It's great made with kale instead of cabbage.

Kale sounds just as bad, tastewise, though I don't think it smells as bad cooked as cabbage does. Regardless, "will not attend."

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 2:08 PM

But there's one awful place near the Knock shrine. They can't even make tea.

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2019 2:09 PM

[quote]Cabbage is delicious

When it is used to make cole slaw. Cooked, it smells as bad as shit. Or "shite," given the provenance.

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2019 2:10 PM

OP made me laff. Little provincial flyover who has never been offshore.

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2019 2:12 PM

I would join you in mocking him, r26, especially over his use of words, but "laff"? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2019 2:15 PM

For anyone planning to prepare corned beef and cabbage this weekend, here's a trick to reduce some of the sodium. Even a reduced sodium package has way too much sodium. Rinse it thoroughly in cold water. Put it in a dutch oven, cover with water and bring to a boil. Drain and rinse again in cold water. Repeat. Then cook as usual.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2019 2:17 PM

Irish people do eat corned beef, R22, though as you say it's more an Irish-American than an Irish staple. Cows were central to Irish culture and the economy as far back as written and oral history extends. Personal wealth was calculated in cows. A bull was central to one of the early epics, The Cattle Raid of Cooley.

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2019 2:26 PM

Google comes to the rescue again. Rather than offer us your best guesses, please see the link below. If you don't know how Google works, just type in: Irish Recipes. (I works like magic.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2019 2:31 PM

But...do they strain the pasta or not? Do they call tomato sauce gravy?

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2019 2:42 PM

Yes, R29, but that was all before the English colonized the country, forced the native (land-owning) aristocracy to leave, and replaced them all with English Protestant land-owners whose allegience was to the British crown, not the native Catholic population who they subjugated. Sure, people in Ireland raised/bought and ate beef in recent centuries, but the native population did not because they didn’t own land and couldn’t afford beef.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2019 2:44 PM

That is true, R32, but folk memory is strong, and the beef-and-dairy economy is to the fore once again.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Pressure Cooker Corned Been 'n' Cabbage:

1. Pressure cook the meat for about an hour and remove from the PC.

2. Add red potatoes to the cook water and pressure cook for about three minutes; release pressure. Add carrots and cabbage (wedged) to the water with the potatoes and PC for about 5 more minutes. Release pressure.

Done and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2019 3:01 PM

The corned beef you eat in the US isn't eaten in Ireland. Corned beef here means the type of canned product often called 'bully beef' whereas the corned beef you have in the US would be called salt beef.

I grew up in Ireland and never even heard of salt beef unless it was in reference to the Jewish kind.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2019 3:03 PM

There is a local Irish pub, opened in the US by an Irish company, that didn't have corned beef and cabbage on the menu. It had traditional Irish pub food such as fish & chips, boxty sandwiches, but so many patrons were disappointed not to be able to get corned beef that after a while the restaurant had to add it. The management was trying to be authentic, but when people in the US go to an Irish pub they expect to be able to order corned beef throughout the year, not just on St. Patrick's day. You have to know what your customers want.

A similar thing happened with a new Chinese restaurant that opened. They brought over a Cantonese chef from China, and the menu was completely unrecognizable to most people. I thought the food was delicious, but customers were demanding General Tso's chicken, so the menu changed.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2019 3:11 PM

Ya give the people what they will pay for.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2019 3:17 PM

Ireland is a foodie paradise.

It's a closed ecosystem and the island is made of limestone soil, which makes the bones of the thoroughbreds that they raise very strong, and makes the meat of the cattle and lamb that they raise extremely tender and tasty. The Irish love variety in their food, and enjoy adjusting international cuisine to their own tastes. They love Italian food and do it very well.

They don't eat corned beef and cabbage. That's an Irish American thing.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2019 3:18 PM

That’s the true meaning of “the customer is always right” — customer base wants General Tso, you give them General Tso.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2019 3:20 PM

is it true they don't inject the cows? I know that the fucking farmers don't pay taxes!

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2019 3:23 PM

Interesting, R35, I didn't know that there are two different types of "corned beef". Wikipedia says

[quote]Mark Kurlansky, in his book Salt, states that the Irish produced a salted beef around the Middle Ages that was the "forerunner of what today is known as Irish corned beef" and in the 17th century, the English named the Irish salted beef "corned beef".

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2019 3:23 PM

We have found both Irish and English food to be almost inedible.

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2019 3:26 PM

r38, I had one of the memorably best meals in my life in Dublin 20+ years ago and to this day am not sure it was so good because I was starving or it really was that good. It was very simple, lentil soup, rolls with the perfect ratio of flakiness to doughiness, butter that I could have eaten off a spoon, and a steak that cut like butter and melted in my mouth. I've never been back to the restaurant (it still exists but probably has changed hands over the years) because I don't want to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2019 3:28 PM

Irish butter is life changing, R43, and you can practically cut the steaks with a fork. It wasn't a dream!

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2019 3:30 PM

Yes, I forgot about Irish butter. You really can eat it on it’s own, it’s so creamy and rich.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2019 3:38 PM

As R32 noted, Ireland was a colony until 1922, and its economy was structured to extract its wealth to Britain. Poor tenant farmers subsisted mainly on potatoes, root vegetables and dairy products. Even during the Great Famine, there was considerable agricultural output in Ireland -- if just flowed out of the country to enrich its landlords, rather than feed its native population. Ireland remained a poor country well after it joined the EC in the early 70s, but once it was a part of a larger European economic bloc, things improved relatively quickly. The Irish today are rightly proud of their native cuisine. The meat and seafood is exceptional, and there are a number of great chefs and restaurants throughout the country.

Most Irish-Americans are descended from people who emigrated during the years of poverty and colonialism, and they did not have much in terms of cuisine to bring with them. Given that their fare was pretty bland, they did not get too adventurous when picking up ideas from fellow immigrants. Even today, a lot of my Irish-American relations shy away from anything beyond meat + 2 Veg.

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 3:57 PM

Yes, it's disgusting. New Irish cuisine in restaurants isn't bad but that's because the dishes aren't really Irish anymore. It's mainly just roasted meat and potatoes with a few vegetables thrown in. Hard to go wrong with that, usually, because it's so simple.

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 4:17 PM

There's a lot of choice in Ireland in terms of different regional cuisines, which is great because it raises the standards in general. However, the best of Irish cuisine is simple dishes produced with high-quality local produce. It works in Italy, too, or so they say.

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Can we use this thread to finally and completely kill the “corned beef and cabbage” myth!?! It has nothing to do with Ireland. It is the perfect symbol of how Americans confuse Irish-American culture with Irish culture. They really are 2 different things.

The best Irish food is simple meat, potato, maybe vegetable - all of the highest quality and fresh. Bread and butter are also more popular than in most other countries. Tea and toast is staple - similar to England. Eggs and bacon- again high quality and fresh - are staples.

I don’t think Ireland has the best food nor the greatest variety. But the modern Irish restauarants have done wonders by using the abundant high quality organic foods available across the country. Like the British, they are also very open to other cuisines. Italian especially as well as Indian.

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2019 4:39 PM

Yes, you can't move on Ireland without running into curry and kebabs. It's actually difficult to get "Irish cuisine" in Ireland because most of the restaurants serve Indian and other foods, or some nouveau take on Irish cuisine that isn't really Irish anymore.

The ONLY food in Ireland that is awesome is the spice bag, a bag filled with thick chips, chicken goujons, chopped bell peppers and onions, and an Asian-inspired sauce, mixed together. Fantastic takeout. It's not really Irish, but I've only ever seen spice bags in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2019 4:58 PM

Shamrock shakes and Lucky Charms

by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2019 5:11 PM

r51, I've heard of Shamrock shakes and have seen them but what are they? Is it vanilla flavored with green food coloring?

by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2019 5:13 PM

It's one of those embarrassing products you see around St Patrick's Day in the US. Like green Guinness.

If anyone tried to serve those products in actual Ireland they'd be laughed into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2019 5:17 PM

Ummm,....how do people in US not know McDonalds Shamrock shakes? Do they not sell them anymore?

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2019 5:20 PM

Smells like feet.

by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2019 5:21 PM

R53 younger Irish would love them and drink them ironically. They are pretty smart and funny (well, not Dubliners but elsewhere).

They have their own homegrown McDonalds too. As well as actual McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 56March 14, 2019 5:22 PM

I am not fat, r54.

by Anonymousreply 57March 14, 2019 5:23 PM

Shamrock shakes are minty.

I would prefer they taste like lime sherbet.

by Anonymousreply 58March 14, 2019 5:24 PM

R57 everything in moderation. Including Shamrock Shakes.

by Anonymousreply 59March 14, 2019 5:25 PM

Thanks for the sympathy, r59, but McDonald's will never be a factor in my leading a fulfilled life.

by Anonymousreply 60March 14, 2019 5:27 PM

A perfect summary of America’s view of Irish cuisine/culture = Shamrock shakes. Lol

by Anonymousreply 61March 14, 2019 5:27 PM

Our ancestors fought and died to have Ireland for the Irish people and now the country is headed by an Indian homosexual whose allegiance is to the global usurers and not to Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 62March 14, 2019 5:32 PM

[quote]Like green Guinness.

Oh my god no. No such thing. It’s just beer dyed green, usually Budweiser or some other garbage domestic. The people who drink green beer on St. Patricks Day and people who drink Guinness are two separate groups.

by Anonymousreply 63March 14, 2019 5:41 PM

There is no corn in corned beef. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 64March 14, 2019 5:42 PM

R64 it refers to the corns of salt used.

by Anonymousreply 65March 14, 2019 5:43 PM

[quote]It's one of those embarrassing products you see around St Patrick's Day in the US. Like green Guinness. If anyone tried to serve those products in actual Ireland they'd be laughed into the sea.

Ummm - they DO have Shamrock Shakes in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 66March 14, 2019 5:46 PM

[quote]It's one of those embarrassing products you see around St Patrick's Day in the US. Like green Guinness. If anyone tried to serve those products in actual Ireland they'd be laughed into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 67March 14, 2019 5:46 PM

by Anonymousreply 68March 14, 2019 5:46 PM

someone is OCD in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 69March 14, 2019 5:50 PM

Not great, but certainly not bad. Breakfasts especially can be excellent. I'd give it a solid B on world cuisine. IK like Brazil the most and the Philippines the least.

by Anonymousreply 70March 14, 2019 5:53 PM

Irish sausage is full of filler. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 71March 14, 2019 5:55 PM

They suck spuds and hoover cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 72March 14, 2019 5:59 PM

If you're in DC you can get a Spice Bag at Rose's Compass (14th & T). It's quite "authentic."

by Anonymousreply 73March 14, 2019 6:11 PM

I made curried chicken last night. Now my apartment smells like curry.

by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2019 6:14 PM

R74 you can be evicted for that!

by Anonymousreply 75March 14, 2019 6:34 PM

White pudding!

Yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 14, 2019 6:49 PM

R76 that white pudding looks suspiciously American to me

by Anonymousreply 77March 14, 2019 6:51 PM

Do we really need more foods to Cause farting... enough

by Anonymousreply 78March 14, 2019 6:53 PM

Shamrock shakes taste like toothpaste

by Anonymousreply 79March 14, 2019 6:56 PM

R77 you're right, but you get the idea

by Anonymousreply 80March 14, 2019 7:03 PM

I don't think it rises to the level of being called cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 81March 14, 2019 7:08 PM

Yes it does, because cuisine means food as it pertains to a specific culture or region.

by Anonymousreply 82March 14, 2019 7:15 PM

So is Corned Beef and Cabbage an American thing? I’m not clear on that.

by Anonymousreply 83March 14, 2019 7:25 PM

Corned beef is one of the most disgusting foods on the planet. It tastes as if it's made up from the fumes emanating off fresh feces.

by Anonymousreply 84March 14, 2019 7:41 PM

It's nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 85March 14, 2019 7:50 PM

"Irish cuisine" is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 86March 14, 2019 7:52 PM

White Pudding is basically beef fat (suet) and oatmeal, tastes and looks better grilled/fried rather than boiled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 14, 2019 7:54 PM

And by Corned Beef the Irish & British mean this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 14, 2019 7:58 PM

Irish White Pudding doesn't look any different from German Weisswurst.

by Anonymousreply 89March 14, 2019 7:59 PM

In Irish language cakes are called "caca". A rather unfortunate word.

Here's caca Gur (also known as chester cake), a traditional Dublin dessert. Looks pretty tasty to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 14, 2019 8:06 PM

This is the good stuff. Pork, oatmeal and spices and fried for breakfast. Very tasty. I'm not a fan of black pudding, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 14, 2019 8:11 PM

The canned vs fresh Corned Beef confusion can crop up anywhere that had rationing after WWI/II. Especially in the Central Mediterranean plus Cyprus and Greece, but anywhere in Europe is possible, as is any former British Colony.

by Anonymousreply 92March 14, 2019 8:24 PM

His name is Donal Skehan. Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 14, 2019 8:27 PM

Check out the Try Channel on YouTube, wherein Irish people taste test various foods.

It’s usually American foods that they try, but you can learn a lot about what Irish people like to eat from watching their critiques.

by Anonymousreply 94March 14, 2019 8:27 PM

I had always heard that the food was bad so I was prepared or should say I was not prepared. There was not one thing that I ate that I didn't think was delicious. And it is the only place I have had fig chocolate ice cream which was equally as delicious.

by Anonymousreply 95March 14, 2019 8:27 PM

OMG R95 I would make a special trip over for that!

by Anonymousreply 96March 14, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]So is Corned Beef and Cabbage an American thing? I’m not clear on that.

Yes it is.

On work gangs around construction sites in New York, many of the workers were Irish, especiually building skyscrapers and other big projects. The Irish workers were quarrelsome but they were strong and cheap so they were widely used. The construction projects needed a very cheap, filling, protein rich food source to feed the men, who were often there for days or weeks at a time, so they had huge vats of water in which they boiled beef and cabbage. The men became accustomed to eating this and it became a part of Irish American cuisine.

So it's perfectly fitting that people eat it on Saint Patrick's Day, which as celebrated in America is more a celebration of Irish-Americanness than Irishness. It's actually like any other meal -- if cooked well it can be pretty tasty.

by Anonymousreply 97March 14, 2019 8:30 PM

It's ham and cabbage in Ireland. The corned beef is what's Irish-American. The ham and boiled cabbage dish is Irish.

by Anonymousreply 98March 14, 2019 8:35 PM

Nice brown filling r90. Is it made with real caca?

by Anonymousreply 99March 14, 2019 8:39 PM

[quote] I thought the food was delicious, but customers were demanding General Tso's chicken, so the menu changed.

I hate it when people with babytastes ruin a restaurant's menu.

by Anonymousreply 100March 14, 2019 9:45 PM

Irish Cuisine= Oxymoron

by Anonymousreply 101March 14, 2019 9:47 PM

R97 do you have a source for that story? I have never heard that one before in my life. The common explanation is that Irish immigrants were exposed to corned beef in immigrant communities where they encountered jewish delis.

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2019 10:09 PM

Potato

by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2019 12:52 AM

Could be more detail of the same story r102.

by Anonymousreply 104March 15, 2019 1:16 AM

When I was there it certainly wasn't the worst - I think Cuba has that honor - but the food was really, really boring. At least the food in Scotland had some bizarre but interesting options (deep-fried Haggis). Beer was good though.

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2019 1:29 AM

Soda bread pudding

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2019 2:12 AM

OMG yes R106 -

Actually - don't know about turning it into bread pudding?? - Sounds a bit iffy.

H/e as soon as I saw thread title popped in and scrolled down surprised to see no mention of the scrumptious fresh soda bread.

My abiding memory of B+B-ing around Eire was the ubiquitous fresh generous serves of soda bread. I'd bypass the 'full Irish' and just go Continental breakfast Irish style gorging myself on multiple slices of this stuff morning after morning with good local jams and, yes, that sublime Irish butter that's been mentioned upthread.

Mind you, this was back when carb loading did not destroy my waist measurement within hours.

I occasionally source it here in Australia, where there's some Irish heritage around the place, so it's sometimes seen at country farmers or produce markets or on cafe brunch menus and the like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2019 2:49 AM

Every county in Ireland has its own signature bread. Kilkenny county specializes in a delicious brown bread that will change your life.

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2019 4:33 AM

We called it bacon and cabbage but it's not like American streaky bacon. It is from the shoulder. If you want authentic, try to find a smoked shoulder butt.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2019 3:31 PM

I love carbs

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2019 4:16 PM

R102, there's a variation of it here. (See link below.) I seriously doubt that Irish immigrants "encountered Jewish delis."

I've heard that the cheap boiled beef was served at construction sites, but the link above claims it was served at pubs, which to be honest sounds just as legit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2019 5:00 PM

For you, r111. The article details the Irish - Jewish connections to St. Patricks Day:

Historian Shaylyn Esposito, writing in Smithsonian Magazine, says that what we think of today as Irish corned beef is actually Jewish brisket thrown into a pot with cabbage and potatoes. The Irish originally ate a dry, salted beef that came from England. When they came to America and began shopping at kosher butchers on the Lower East Side, they discovered brisket, a kosher cut of meat from the front of the cow, the salting and slow cooking of which transforms the meat into the extremely tender, moist, flavorful corned beef we know of today.

Read more: https://forward.com/culture/395695/the-secret-jewish-history-of-st-patricks-day/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2019 5:14 PM

And Katz's Deli, serving NYC's Lower East Side since 1888.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2019 5:18 PM

R112, just more theories. No more true than the idea that the several alternative theories on the same subject.

To be honest, that piece is subject because it's trying a little too hard to find Jewish roots in everything Irish American (and some Irish roots in Jewish American things). This for instance:

[quote]Irish music is really just klezmer with an Irish accent.

... is a bit silly and sets the tenor for the article.

by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2019 5:43 PM

How did brisket go from being a cheap cut of meat to one that is now quite dear?

by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2019 7:14 PM

We were Polish Catholic, and moved into a Scottish and Irish protestant neighborhood in the mid 1950s. The American born hated us, but the immigrants welcomed us, shared their food and drink with us, and gave my mother a copy of all their native recipes. The food is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2019 7:47 PM

I was very disappointed by Irish food, even the foodie type places and nice pubs. It's not like they don't have high quality local ingredients. It's more like they don't season their food properly and have a bland, French-inspired palette.

I preferred Scottish food, which is of a similarly high provenance but it more Italian and Asian inspired.

by Anonymousreply 117June 14, 2019 4:50 PM

You guys should try Kerrygold butter and Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. Both are delicious. Available at Costco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 14, 2019 5:44 PM

But is corned beef Irish? Or is it Jewish? Or American? This still isn't clear.

by Anonymousreply 119June 14, 2019 6:03 PM

Corned beef is Jewish American. So strange it’s associated with St Patrick’s Day. Always annoyed me as a first generation kid because people kept insisting it was Irish food.

by Anonymousreply 120June 14, 2019 6:25 PM

Is brisket Jewish or Texan?

by Anonymousreply 121June 14, 2019 8:36 PM

It's the lower breast of a cattle, r121

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2019 2:09 PM

Irish cuisine is effectively English cuisine. There isn't a distinct Irish cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2019 2:17 PM

Has anyone tried Dulce?

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2019 2:44 PM

R62 He's half Irish Catholic you cunty little hussy.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2019 3:04 PM

When did I eat corned beef?

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2019 3:06 PM

R!17 Britain has much more of a multi-ethnic flavor than The Republic of Ireland does. Talk to something from Cardiff and they might be Italian, Irish , English and Welsh! so that mixing of cultures has gone on for quite some time in Britain. After the economic boom, many immigrants have moved to The Republic and brought their cuisine and their culture. So it has gotten better there for sure but their foodie culture has lagged behind Britain for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2019 3:09 PM

When I traveled through Ireland the food was bland, and there was so much gristle in the meat I couldn't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 128June 16, 2019 3:25 PM

My experience with Irish food is that everything I’ve ever had when eating out in that country has been made from the freshest produce, dairy, meat, seafood, etc. I didn’t eat in high end places either. I enjoyed everything I had. The seafood was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 129June 16, 2019 4:17 PM

Jewish corned beef is slightly different to the Irish variety, R119.

Spiced beef is something that seems to be unique to the southern part of Ireland, and it's delicious. It's traditionally eaten at Christmas but you can get it year-round.

by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2019 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!