Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gambino Crime Boss Shot Dead

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 30, 2020 1:18 AM

Wow, so it’s like the “Godfather” and “Goodfellas” times again? Will be get more good movies out of it?

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 5:18 AM

Trump has ties to the mafia. Bet he had him silenced.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 5:21 AM

Does this mean that there is going to be some sort of a Mafia war between families and/or internal power struggle? These guys knocking each other off can't be all bad just as long as too many police resource are diverted.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 5:32 AM

I have this weird reoccurring fantasy that I am a vampire and that I prey exclusively on organized crime figures. I think I would enjoy that. I know it's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 5:36 AM

Do you think this was a hit?

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 5:37 AM

[quote]These guys knocking each other off can't be all bad

Ack! It's late, I'm tired. Let me rephrase this. "Guys bad. Killing each other off good."

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 5:40 AM

R5 No Rose, it was a love tap.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 5:43 AM

I once witnessed a mob hit in New York City c. 1978 or 79. I was a kid, so I don't know who, or which family, etc. All I remember was thinking the body was like swiss cheese, because of the bullet holes. I thought it was cool, but my mom tried to usher me away pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 6:37 AM

R8, that's fucked up, your mother wasted a teaching moment.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 6:43 AM

R8 - I just looked up 1978 and 1979 in organized crime on Wikipedia and they were especially active and bloody years. The casualties and methods of assassination are listed. I'm curious if a name will jump out to you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 6:55 AM

He was hot.

I dated Squishy Gambino in the 80's. Helleva guy

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 7:01 AM

If it did, R10, I wouldn't say.

I also went to high school with a Genovese, of the Genovese crime family.

I might have already said too much.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 7:13 AM

The Italian Mob is back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 7:16 AM

Whacked!

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 7:24 AM

Reprisal hit?

The shooting wasn't the only recent mob assassination in New York. Sylvester Zottola, 71, reportedly of the Bonanno crime family, was gunned down at a McDonald's drive thru in the Bronx last October, according to WABC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 7:57 AM

Lovely house on the outside. I wonder if we'll see it Real estalker or Curbed soon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 8:23 AM

Wonder if this hit had any links to other Italian power playing from.abroad? Calabrian 'Ndrangheta?

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 9:13 AM

The mob positions must not pay all that well. His home looked cookie cutter. And on Staten Island?

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 9:27 AM

He didnt fallow the Rules! A Rat is a Rat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 9:31 AM

Was Tramp's family involved?

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 9:32 AM

I used to be his capo. He made me service him regularly.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 9:41 AM

R17, no, it was a Palermo related hit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 9:42 AM

Now that's just disrespectful.

But funny, I don't care who you are.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 10:19 AM

The house is on Todt (pronounced Tote) Hill, the island's most exclusive neighborhood. Another mobster who was murdered outside Spark's Steak House in Manhattan, also lived there. At 402-feet, Todt Hill is the highest elevation along the coast between Maine and Florida.

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2019 10:36 AM

Another return to the 1970s, I see. Cultural regression is fun!

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2019 10:40 AM

Whitey Bulger also got hit in prison not too long ago. The mob seems to be pretty active lately.

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2019 10:42 AM

Oh, Michael!

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2019 10:57 AM

[quote]I have this weird reoccurring fantasy that I am a vampire and that I prey exclusively on organized crime figures. I think I would enjoy that. I know it's fucked up.

Can you give us a call asap? We're all out of ideas and could use some new ones. Even if vampires have already been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2019 10:58 AM

To the mattresses!

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2019 11:02 AM

Where was Drita D'Avanzo last night? Hope she and Renee Graziano weren't giving blow jobs to other Gambino soldiers when this happened because they will have too much good material for their next reality show.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2019 11:15 AM

[quote]I dated Squishy Gambino in the 80's.

Just exactly which parts of him squished?

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2019 11:18 AM

He got the Frank Leotardo special.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2019 11:19 AM

Is Jonny Alite still around?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2019 11:26 AM

I thought this nonsense had gone the way of the dodo.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2019 11:31 AM

It still happens, r34.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2019 11:43 AM

Lifetime Staten Islander here. I’m surprised this happened. With the exception of the idiot reality star Mob Wives, the mafia on Staten Island has mostly been nonexistent. Back in the 80’s when I was a kid, every other headline was a mob related bust or a body dumped in the woods that was a mob hit. Speaking of the idiot reality show Mob Wives, I love when one of these mafia goons gets arrested or killed and suddenly there’s a hysterical Renee Graziano going on about what a stand up guy he was or how it sso unfair the Feds are targeting them. Delusional idiots.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2019 12:27 PM

R36 Not sure I would say delusional. They know the deal. But they have to play it up to make everything look good. There is a lot of pressure for the women to stand up for the family (or families as the case may be). Idot? Sure, but she's alive so that's better than a dead idiot.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2019 12:34 PM

Seems to me a reality show called Mob Wives would be bad for actual mob figures. Is this another fake show like Amish Mafia, which was totally fake?

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2019 12:37 PM

[quote]Oh, Michael!

That's my family, Kay. It's not me.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2019 2:06 PM

Do people on Staten Island generally know which areas are more populated by mob-affiliates or heavy hitters? I looked up Cali's house and others in the vicinity. Ir's valued at $1.3M. Imagine paying that kind of money to move in next door to a felon and sociopathic killer? Or worse, his tacky, shrieky wife.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2019 5:32 PM

You ain’t see nothin’, R8. You understand, nothin!

Capesce?

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2019 6:06 PM

This was not the first mob hit since 19 eighty-whatever. My friend's mafia dad had a peculiar accident blocks from his home in western LI where he was found dead in his smashed car. Nobody in the family thought he died from what appeared to be a fender-bender. But there were no witnesses, and there was no autopsy.

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2019 7:32 PM

Cali was lured out of the house by a staged car crash. The pickup rammed his SUV drawing him out of the house.

It's pretty damn bold to do the hit right in front of his house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2019 8:01 PM

Thugs.

Good riddance to trash.

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2019 8:08 PM

It seems it’s been a long time since we heard about an Italian mafia hit. It’s almost quaint.

I know a gal whose dad was a low-level mafioso from Queens. He just died in a nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2019 8:19 PM

Robin Quivers used to live on Todt Hill.

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]This was not the first mob hit since 19 eighty-whatever.

It was the first hit on a Mafia family boss since Paul Castellano got whacked in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 8:29 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2019 8:42 PM

R47 is right. Plus, chances are we don’t know of many other generic mob hits because they’re not big enough to make the news.

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2019 8:49 PM

Apparently being killed in front of your house, in front of your family, is a demonstration of scorn and disrespect, worthy of someone who had done something against gangster code.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2019 8:50 PM

The nephew/heir from the DM story:

[quote]He recently called President Trump to pardon his father Francesco, claiming fired FBI Director James Comey, who was responsible for taking down his father, treated his family unfairly.

by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2019 8:53 PM

To Live and Die in S. I.

by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2019 9:31 PM

Maybe Melissa Gilbert could get another Lifetime movie out of this

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2019 9:36 PM

I would bet that blue pick up drove straight to a mafia controlled savage yard and right into a car crusher never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2019 10:01 PM

Maybe it was a random drive by shooting and squishing with a truck.

by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2019 10:07 PM

Gloria:I walked out with Dinsdale on many occasions and found him a charming and erudite companion. He was wont to introduce one to eminent celebrities, celebrated American singers, members of the aristocracy and other gang leaders,

Interviewer (off screen): How had he met them?

Gloria:Through his work for charities. He took a warm interest in Boys' Clubs, Sailors' Homes, Choristers' Associations and the Grenadier Guards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 14, 2019 10:08 PM

Hillary is looking for some new territory. Now that she's not so busy.

by Anonymousreply 57March 14, 2019 10:09 PM

No one claims it’s the first mob hit since the 1980s. It’s the first mob boss hit.

The “disrespect” angle may mean he broke a big rule, or it may mean whoever killed him was not in the mob.

Anyway, they shot Tony Soprano in front of his wife and kids. What are ya gonna do?

by Anonymousreply 58March 14, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote] I have this weird reoccurring fantasy that I am a vampire and that I prey exclusively on organized crime figures.

Someone beat you to that idea. "Warren" was a defunct comic book company that specialized in non-comic book code stories heavy on gore and sex. You described the plot of one of their stories.

The police would summon the crime fighter and covered for the murders of the bat-man, but worried even in a large city like theirs, sooner of later they would have to run out of criminals.

I can't tell you offhand what book and issue it was but I'm certain I have it in a box down in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 59March 14, 2019 10:24 PM

Was he dining at Sparks?

by Anonymousreply 60March 14, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote]mafia controlled savage yard

Wondering why he would drive to a zoo.

When did they shoot Tony Soprano, r58?

by Anonymousreply 61March 14, 2019 10:34 PM

Me, too, r4, for years. You’re not alone in your weirdness.

by Anonymousreply 62March 14, 2019 10:39 PM

So you guys want to transform organized crime figures into the undead so they can roam the earth for eternity?

by Anonymousreply 63March 14, 2019 10:42 PM

At the end, r61.

by Anonymousreply 64March 14, 2019 10:49 PM

They didn’t shoot him.

At least we didn’t see it and the creator of the series himself said that’s not what happened.

by Anonymousreply 65March 14, 2019 10:59 PM

Hey R36 - where’d you go to high school? Farrell here, but I’m older than you.

by Anonymousreply 66March 14, 2019 11:05 PM

[quote] The “disrespect” angle may mean he broke a big rule, or it may mean whoever killed him was not in the mob.

Russians!

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2019 12:23 AM

R40 that area is where doctors and executives live. A partner at my law firm lives on Todt Hill in a 3 million dollar house. It really is a lovely area, I don’t think mob bosses are the norm

by Anonymousreply 68March 15, 2019 1:34 AM

I once interned at the US Attorney's and had a nice chit chat with a real mobster (you know, how's school going?)

by Anonymousreply 69March 15, 2019 1:44 AM

[Quote]I once witnessed a mob hit in New York City c. 1978 or 79. I was a kid, so I don't know who, or which family, etc. All I remember was thinking the body was like swiss cheese, because of the bullet holes.

Did you drive past the crime scene on Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn? A mortician friend of mine buried a mob guy killed in 79 and he described the body as looking like swiss cheese from the bullet holes. They left the body in the car so that the story would make the papers. Swiss cheese and 79, I think I got your hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Didn't Gotti or Gambino or one of them have a gay son who owned a gay bar in the village at one point?

by Anonymousreply 71March 15, 2019 2:40 AM

The one gay Gambino son went up into the other gay Gambino son's butt

by Anonymousreply 72March 15, 2019 2:44 AM

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2019 5:36 AM

NY media saying it was Gotti’s brother who just got out of prison after 29 years and wants his brother’s old job.

by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2019 7:01 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2019 7:01 AM

Alan Sepinwall [co-author]: When you said there was an end point, you don’t mean Tony at Holsten’s, you just meant, “I think I have two more years’ worth of stories left in me.”

Chase: Yes, I think I had that death scene around two years before the end… Tony was going to get called to a meeting with Johnny Sack in Manhattan, and he was going to go back through the Lincoln Tunnel for this meeting, and it was going to go black there and you never saw him again as he was heading back, the theory being that something bad happens to him at the meeting. But we didn’t do that.

Matt Zoller Seitz [co-author]: You realise, of course, that you just referred to that as a death scene.

[A long pause follows]

Chase: F*** you guys.

by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2019 7:02 AM

R70 he ain’t seen nuthin’ unnerstand? Nothin.

You guys tink you’ll be the first hole I ever dug? Eh?

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2019 8:34 AM

R34, as a group these types lack the ability & skills to be adaptable. They're not a bright bunch. No attractive prized physical traits. They also are prone to view incestuous liasons differently than the rest of us. Leads to a faulty brain wiring and poor executive functioning abilities. You can't predict their flawed logical tendencies. They also are resistant to assimilation. Lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2019 10:08 AM

R68😂

by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2019 10:15 AM

As a lifetime New Yorker, I think this mob hit is absolutely delish and hope it brings back some of the street cred this city used to have before Disney arrived. An all out mob war would be divine.

by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2019 11:31 AM

[quote]An all out mob war would be divine.

For some reason I thought I’d live my whole life without ‘mob war’ and ‘divine’ in the same sentence. ‘Mob war’ and ‘great,’ or ‘fantastic,’ yes.

I love the Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2019 11:55 AM

Are they sure it wasn't suicide?

by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2019 12:29 PM

The investigation is ongoing, R82, so you may be onto something.

by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2019 12:33 PM

R66 I went to Farrell too!

Anyways... it’s fun that this happened on SI! Back in the 70’s and 80’s, SI was mafioso central. It’s been quiet for so long (unless you count Renee Graziano in hysterics: “The Feds took my daaaaaaaad”), so a lot of people were interested to see that the mafia still has ties on the island!

by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2019 1:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2019 2:31 PM

I was raised in a town where cousins of the Gambino family had illegal gambling, drug, and prostitution run from many a legit family business. YES, prostitution. There was a small neighborhood grill where mom, dad, and the kiddies would be eating downstairs, and a lady or two would be working upstairs. It's different today.....No girls, just meth!

by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2019 2:54 PM

I keep checking for updates on this story...It feels like a movie!

by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2019 3:11 PM

Does the mafia still own all the unions in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2019 4:21 PM

Me, too, R87. I'm so fascinated by the story. As morbid as it is, like R80 and R81 I'm kind of looking forward to see a so-called "mob war." As long as innocent bystanders aren't harmed, it would be sociopaths killing other sociopaths, right?

[quote] as a group these types lack the ability & skills to be adaptable. They're not a bright bunch. No attractive prized physical traits. They also are prone to view incestuous liasons differently than the rest of us. Leads to a faulty brain wiring and poor executive functioning abilities.

I was thinking of the familial and multi-generational nature of their criminal enterprises, and these folks would be perfect subjects for a study of criminality and sociopathy and the genetic transmission patterns across generations. Do psych testing batteries, the whole works including collecting DNA . Of course, this would never happen because they're closed off to outsiders, but they are a ready made subject pool for sociological, psychological and genetic research into the etiology of psychopathy and sociopathy.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Not good. I know Italian mobsters are sort of romanticized in classic films and such, but not nice people. They kneecapped my great uncle in Sicily because of a debt...

by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2019 10:56 PM

I guess he shoulda paid.

by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2019 11:01 PM

Who’s had this guy’s cannoli?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2019 11:03 PM

What song was playing in the truck that ran him over?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2019 11:06 PM

R91, yeah. Sorta his fault for even borrowing money and dealing with them in the first place. But the mob did impose taxes on all businesses then, an everybody pay up kind of deal. I never met him, btw -- that was in the 1920s. I have no clue if the mob still operates the same way in present day Sicily..

by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2019 11:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2019 11:08 PM

[quote] . But there were no witnesses, and there was no autopsy

A non witnessed death in NY has to be autopsied, especially if there's blood outside of the body involved.

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2019 11:53 PM

Not necessarily, r96.

Indeed, Orthodox Jews will not permit an autopsy.

by Anonymousreply 97March 16, 2019 12:02 AM

THE NEW YORK STATE ASSOCIATION of COUNTY CORONERS and MEDICAL EXAMINERS

The following types of death must be investigated by the Coroner or Medical Examiners Office regardless of the time period involved from the incident to the time of death if the person did not regain their health to a status equal to or better than their health at the time of the incident:

Accidental Deaths.

Falls, including hip fractures or other injury.

Any blunt force or mechanical injury.

Cuttings and stabbings.

Explosions.

Firearm injuries.

Asphyxiation by gagging or foreign substance, including food, in the airway; compression of the airway or chest, by hand, material or ligature; drowning; hanging; cyanide; exclusion of oxygen; carbon monoxide; and/or other gases causing suffocation.

[bold] Vehicular accidents including auto, bus, train, motorcycle, bicycle, watercraft, snowmobile, or aircraft, including driver, passenger, or related non-passenger, such as being struck by parts flying or thrown from a vehicle

Any unattended death at home or in a public or outdoor space. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 98March 16, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote]The following types of death must be [bold]investigated[/bold] by the Coroner or Medical Examiners Office

This does not necessarily mean conducting a full scale autopsy. If the ME is satisfied the death was not a homicide, he ‘investigated.’

Again, the Orthodox Jewish community forbids autopsies as a desecration of the body.

by Anonymousreply 99March 16, 2019 12:09 AM

They may never be an arrest on this. Connie Francis's brother was gunned down by 2 mobsters back in the '80's in broad daylight in front of his house. There has never been any arrests in that case, despite his famous sister shining a spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 100March 16, 2019 12:12 AM

Has anyone on this thread been to Sparks recently?

by Anonymousreply 101March 16, 2019 12:12 AM

I doubt the family of a mafia guy found dead in a fender bender is going to get a court order to claim an autopsy can't be done on religious grounds.

Anyone found dead in a car - especially a fender bender - is going to be autopsied in downstate NY.

by Anonymousreply 102March 16, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote] As a lifetime New Yorker, I think this mob hit is absolutely delish and hope it brings back some of the street cred this city used to have before Disney arrived. An all out mob war would be divine.

"Street cred." Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 103March 16, 2019 1:44 AM

I think they're tremendous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 16, 2019 4:16 AM

Just taking out the garbage on Staten Island...

Next!

by Anonymousreply 105March 16, 2019 4:29 AM

I love you, R80!

by Anonymousreply 106March 16, 2019 4:35 AM

My boys Vinnie and Rocco did it.

by Anonymousreply 107March 16, 2019 4:38 AM

Why do mobsters always have such cool nicknames?

by Anonymousreply 108March 16, 2019 4:40 AM

You think "No Thumbs" is cool? Howabout Johnny No Knees?

by Anonymousreply 109March 16, 2019 4:42 AM

Very cool, R109!!

by Anonymousreply 110March 16, 2019 4:44 AM

Uncle Vittorio had his head cut off after he turned state's evidence against Benny the Blade.

by Anonymousreply 111March 16, 2019 4:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 16, 2019 4:58 AM

[quote]Cali's wife and child were in the home at the time, which sources say is a highly unusual circumstance in the lore of organized crime -- which, in its heyday, followed certain rules that kept targets from getting whacked in front of their families.

They’re saying the hitman was sending a message by going outside of established mob rules. (I think it’s fascinating that there is a form of etiquette for mob hits.)

by Anonymousreply 113March 16, 2019 5:13 AM

Wow. A cold blooded, expertly planned, pin point assassination by a trained killer. Frightening to think that there’s men out there like this walking among us. The next time someone says “You watch too many movies,” think of Frank Cali.

[QUOTE]The cold-blooded killer who gunned down Gambino crime boss Frank (Franky Boy) Cali likely lured his victim outside with a fake car crash — then blew him away in front of his Staten Island home.

[QUOTE]Cali, 53, was having dinner with his family inside his Todt Hill house when a pick-up truck smashed into his silver Cadillac Escalade SUV around 9:15 p.m Wednesday — prompting the Gambino mobster to rush outside.

[QUOTE]Video surveillance shows Cali briefly talking to a man who jumped out the truck — until a muzzle flash and a barrage of shots sent the old-school wiseguy desperately scrambling for cover underneath his Cadillac.

[QUOTE]It was too late, however. The shooter pumped at least six 9mm bullets into the Sicilian-born made man — leaving him bloody and inert — before hopping back into the vehicle and speeding away. Cops combed surveillance footage of Staten Island’s bridges Thursday but found no trace of it leaving the borough. The truck likely had already been dumped at a demolition site.

[QUOTE]While Shea cautioned that the investigation is still preliminary, other early theories included a planned rubout by Cali’s underlings, a killer with a personal vendetta with the mobster, or even a classic mob hit by the new wave of Russian and Albanian wiseguys looking to muscle into the family business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 16, 2019 5:16 AM

No one's talking -

by Anonymousreply 115March 16, 2019 5:18 AM

A guy like Frank would smell it on you if he thought something was up. This killer was so good that he was able to hold a face-to-face discussion with the target right outside his home without giving himself away, then calmly pulled a pistol and unloaded six shots into Frank’s chest before he could even drop to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 116March 16, 2019 5:24 AM

His wife and children will never be able to eat dinner again without thinking about that night.

by Anonymousreply 117March 16, 2019 5:29 AM

[quote]Wow. A cold blooded, expertly planned, pin point assassination by a trained killer. Frightening to think that there’s men out there like this walking among us. The next time someone says “You watch too many movies,” think of Frank Cali.

It only happened a few days ago, ffs. The cops already have theories and a suspect with a motive. Like someone said upthread, as much as the mob has been romanticized by Hollywood, they're just glorified thugs, and not too bright.

by Anonymousreply 118March 16, 2019 5:35 AM

Who’s the suspect?

by Anonymousreply 119March 16, 2019 5:43 AM

Last I heard the NYPD was seriously looking at Gotti.

I’m wondering if all this talk about right outside of his house was a “message” or simply that he rarely left his house and that was the only way to lure him out. The media says he was very reclusive and most didn’t even know he was the boss of a mafia family.

I heard the funniest quote from the owner of the deli where he would get breakfast sandwiches. The reporter asked something like, “What did you think of him” or some such dumb thing. She said:

[quote]Whaddaya mean? He didn’t come in and say “I’m the boss of a mafia family,” he came in and said, “Can I have a bacon, egg and cheese.”

by Anonymousreply 120March 16, 2019 10:58 AM

[quote]I doubt the family of a mafia guy found dead in a fender bender is going to get a court order to claim an autopsy can't be done on religious grounds.

It actually would work the opposite way. If the coroner insists on performing an autopsy, and the family is against it, the coroner would have to get a court order to conduct one. Not vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 121March 16, 2019 10:59 AM

The local news just reported the police have video of Cali and the man talking in front of the car and then Cali turning away and the man shooting him. If Gene Gotti is involved, the case will get solved pretty quickly because all the Gotti men are basically dumb (think Donald Trump Jr's IQ, then take away another 30 points and you are in Gotti territory).

by Anonymousreply 122March 16, 2019 11:22 AM

Quiet r103!

R80, I like how you think.

by Anonymousreply 123March 16, 2019 11:36 AM

So his car was parked on the street? I mean, if it was parked in the driveway and someone crashed into it, wouldn't you pause just a tiny bit and wonder if it was a set up?

by Anonymousreply 124March 16, 2019 2:04 PM

All this crap about “The Mafia would never kill a man in front of his house” is all bullshit. They killed Philly mob boss Angelo Bruno the same way as he was coming home one night. They don’t like to do stuff like that, but if it’s the only place where you’re vulnerable then they don’t really give a fuck. Depending on the importance and urgency of your impending demise, they’ll blow your brains out at your kid’s birthday party if they have to. They only have morals when it’s convenient for them (in other words they have no morals).

by Anonymousreply 125March 16, 2019 2:28 PM

R125, so do you support my theory at R120?

That was my thinking after a while because the media kept referring to him as a recluse.

by Anonymousreply 126March 16, 2019 2:49 PM

Yes, Cali was reclusive. A loner. He spent a lot of time at home with the family and tried to run things like a helicopter CEO. That’s a recipe for disaster. You’ve got to be on the streets. You’ve got to keep your guys in line. You can’t run a mafia family from behind the windows of your suburban mansion. It’s bad enough he was Sicilian. He must have had countless beefs and resentments festering internally. There might not be any revenge killings, contrary to all this gossip in the news from mob rats about “Ohh bodies gotta drop,” because many of his own guys are probably glad he’s dead. He wasn’t beloved like John Gotti. We like to clown John because he was so flashy and arrogant, but his guys adored him.

by Anonymousreply 127March 16, 2019 3:18 PM

Very interesting r127.

by Anonymousreply 128March 16, 2019 3:25 PM

Not all his guys.

by Anonymousreply 129March 16, 2019 3:24 PM

They killers staged a car accident in front of his home - so he would come out. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 130March 16, 2019 3:28 PM

How do they have video?

by Anonymousreply 131March 16, 2019 3:31 PM

[QUOTE]Not all his guys.

Lol, Gravano turned rat to save his own ass from going to prison for the rest of his life. But believe me, before the indictments, if somebody murdered John Gotti outside his home like this, Sam Gravano would’ve been the first motherfucker out there killing anyone he thought was responsible. The streets would already be red.

by Anonymousreply 132March 16, 2019 3:33 PM

True R132. Very true. Unless it was a sanctioned hit. I don’t think this was only because the commission could’ve sent for him and made him disappear without having a war. But if they were sending a message, they could do it this way, too.

I’ve read that’s why Gotti wanted to hit Castellano in Manhattan. It’s a public execution that, in their world, sends a message.

by Anonymousreply 133March 16, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]How do they have video?

CNN was there, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 134March 16, 2019 3:59 PM

The family had a video that they refused to turn over to police strangely enough

by Anonymousreply 135March 16, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]I was thinking of the familial and multi-generational nature of their criminal enterprises, and these folks would be perfect subjects for a study of criminality and sociopathy and the genetic transmission patterns across generations.

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 136March 16, 2019 5:12 PM

The video was turned over. He went outside after his SUV was hit, talked to the killer briefly, shook his hand, bent over to pick up his license plate which had been knocked off, and was shot six times in the chest, trying to take shelter under the vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 137March 16, 2019 5:15 PM

The cops are talking to a 25-year-old "person of interest" but no charges so far.

by Anonymousreply 138March 16, 2019 5:24 PM

God help us all if this was just some punk kid beefing over a broad. How does the boss of the Gambino Crime Family get killed over something like that? It might suck all of the juice out of the story. Fingers crossed that it’s mob related with more good old fashioned mafia violence to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 16, 2019 5:29 PM

I would think anyone in the Mob would stay strapped at all times.

If he had a gun on him he should've been able to get a few bullets in his assailant.

by Anonymousreply 140March 16, 2019 5:42 PM

The cops have arrested the hitter and think the murder might have been personal instead of a sanctioned mob hit. The guy sounds like a real amateur; cops got a finger print from the license plate he was holding, plus what kind of a pro is going to ignore a surveillance camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 16, 2019 5:45 PM

[QUOTE]I would think anyone in the Mob would stay strapped at all times.

Bosses don’t walk around with guns on them. There hasn’t been a boss murdered in 34 years for a reason. You’re practically untouchable when you reach that level. That’s part of what makes their life fascinating. In the legit world, bosses need all kinds of security to protect themselves from the bad guys. Guys like Jeff Bezos and Jay-Z and Mark Zuckerberg and Jamie Dimon and LA Reid and Mark Cuban—round the clock bodyguards and armored SUVs. But in the mob the higher up you go, the less protection you need. The only men hunting you are the ones who bring warrants and handcuffs.

by Anonymousreply 142March 16, 2019 5:57 PM

So, no fuckin’ mob war?

by Anonymousreply 143March 16, 2019 6:03 PM

Class—who would like to point out the obvious flaw in r142’s analysis?

by Anonymousreply 144March 16, 2019 6:05 PM

[QUOTE]So, no fuckin’ mob war?

The case isn’t solved yet. For all we know this guy’s fingerprint was on the license plate because he works at some garage in Staten Island to which Frank takes his Caddy for inspections. There’s still hope for mob fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 145March 16, 2019 6:07 PM

R142

That's a crock of shit. Everybody in that kind of business is armed. If he was eating dinner with his family he probably took off his weapon. Bad decision to not stuff his gun in the back of his pants before running outside.

by Anonymousreply 146March 16, 2019 6:29 PM

[QUOTE]Everybody in that kind of business is armed.

You know not of what you speak.

by Anonymousreply 147March 16, 2019 6:33 PM

[quote] There’s still hope for mob fuckery.

This is why I love Datalounge. While reading all of this, one thing I found interesting is that Cali imported a lot of his soldiers from Sicily as he thought they're more loyal and less likely to turn if arrested. This must not sit well with the homegrown talent. Couple it with the helicopter godfathering and there might be some pissed off underlings.

by Anonymousreply 148March 16, 2019 6:34 PM

In spite of what you want to believe, mob bosses do not routinely carry guns. Too easy to get pinched and do a mandatory minimum three years in New York. For the most part, bosses don’t take part in things that require having guns, that’s why they have underlings.

There may be a mob war yet. Again, they were immediately looking at Gotti. If Gotti hired this guy specifically because he WASN’T in the mob and therefore wouldn’t raise Cali’s hackles, you may just get your wish. The fact that they arrested the actual shooter can be just the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 149March 16, 2019 6:50 PM

Did the coroner provide sizemeat verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 150March 16, 2019 6:51 PM

WHET Victoria Gotti and her gay sons?

by Anonymousreply 151March 16, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote] It’s bad enough he was Sicilian. He must have had countless beefs and resentments festering internally.

This Sicilian THING that's been going on for 3,000 years---!

by Anonymousreply 152March 16, 2019 7:54 PM

There’s video of the murder and the guy’s been charged.

by Anonymousreply 153March 16, 2019 7:57 PM

R10 I recognize a few names from that list. I grew up in Brooklyn and went to school with some nephews and sons of mobsters, although most went to Catholic school (poor suckers).

by Anonymousreply 154March 16, 2019 7:57 PM

Do you know if any of those kids managed to escape their families and that life, R154? Move away to college in another state and establish themselves with some semblance of normalcy -- normal jobs, no connections to crime.

by Anonymousreply 155March 16, 2019 8:05 PM

Yes. Most of us did.

by Anonymousreply 156March 16, 2019 8:05 PM

Sorry, I need to clarify: Most of us who grew up in that environment were not caught up in it and left. Most people who are "in the mob" are drug dealers, low level errand boys. They are enticed to quit school early with the promise of money and, if they don't have skills or any encouragement to go to school or learn a trade, go for it, only to learn that it's a shitty life. Dozens of guys were dead by high school. By now, guys I knew who flirted with that life are married, have kids, support school. Basically the guys who beat the shit out of me are posting videos of their kids' academic achievements on Facebook. I hate them but am happy for their families.

by Anonymousreply 157March 16, 2019 8:17 PM

R155

The wife of the murdered man was the daughter of another made guy.

by Anonymousreply 158March 16, 2019 8:23 PM

Did they tie the suspect to Gotti's brother yet? Or was it a non-mob related beef?

by Anonymousreply 159March 16, 2019 8:23 PM

R153, why didn’t you scream out “BREAKING!!!” especially since we knew that 3 hours ago.

by Anonymousreply 160March 16, 2019 8:29 PM

Might have been all over a goomah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 16, 2019 8:30 PM

I can't wait for that whole generation to die.

by Anonymousreply 162March 16, 2019 8:32 PM

R162, no particular generation has anything to do with it. The mob has been around for generations and as soon as one leaves, there are younger ones just waiting to take their place...

by Anonymousreply 163March 16, 2019 8:37 PM

Less and less. Are you from a mob neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 164March 16, 2019 8:37 PM

Frank had to put this guy in his place and he just happens to run into his Caddy in the middle of the night? How did he not see it coming?

by Anonymousreply 165March 16, 2019 8:40 PM

I've read that HS drop out rates among Italian Americans in NYC is comparable to blacks and Hispanics. It's so strange to see a group of whites lagging behind like that. Must say something about the culture.

by Anonymousreply 166March 16, 2019 8:41 PM

They sure solved this fast. They are also sure it was personal and nothing to do with Mafia stuff. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 167March 16, 2019 8:43 PM

R164, not at all. Different coast even. But I am of Sicilian heritage, and I've spent months in Sicily, where the mafia seems to show no interest in ever releasing their stranglehold..

by Anonymousreply 168March 16, 2019 8:45 PM

How do they even distinguish between personal and mob-related? Two mobsters have a beef, it's both personal and professional.

by Anonymousreply 169March 16, 2019 8:45 PM

No, R169.

You fucked with my girlfriend: personal.

You violated mob rules by dealing drugs: mob-related.

by Anonymousreply 170March 16, 2019 8:51 PM

Wait, don't the Gambinos make most of their money from the illicit Oxy trade?

by Anonymousreply 171March 16, 2019 8:55 PM

R171, there's a lot of hypocrisy about Mafia rules among Mafia members and associates.

by Anonymousreply 172March 16, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote] there's a lot of hypocrisy about Mafia rules among Mafia members and associates.

This isn't even taking into account their proud 'Catholicism.'

by Anonymousreply 173March 16, 2019 9:01 PM

They're a backward people.

by Anonymousreply 174March 16, 2019 9:03 PM

There sure are a lot of experts in this thread. I feel blessed to reach such convincing, high-quality analysis!

by Anonymousreply 175March 16, 2019 9:14 PM

I eat regularly at an Italian place here that’s owned by a guy who grew up in a mob family who wanted no part of it. He broke tradition and moved here and opened a small but successful restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 176March 16, 2019 9:20 PM

Same experts you’d find on any anonymous message board I’m guessing. Some mob aficionados, some authors about mob life, some documentary watchers, some law enforcement, some attorneys and so on.

Kind of a cross-section.

But you believe you. That’s OK. I mean, learning isn’t for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 177March 16, 2019 9:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 16, 2019 9:36 PM

[quote]How do they even distinguish between personal and mob-related? Two mobsters have a beef, it's both personal and professional.

When the killer is not a mobster at all.

by Anonymousreply 179March 16, 2019 9:44 PM

irrelevant video at r178.

by Anonymousreply 180March 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Anthony Comello is not long for this world. There will be no trial.

by Anonymousreply 181March 16, 2019 9:46 PM

Suspect, 24, in assassination of Gambino crime boss Frank Cali: Construction worker in custody for shooting dead the mobster 'because he was told he couldn't date one of his relatives'

Anthony Comello, 24, was arrested on Saturday from his Brick, New Jersey home

He's suspected of killing mob boss Francesco 'Franky Boy' Cali' on Wednesday

He's believed to have no mob-ties and has been described as 'a complete nut'

It's alleged Comello wanted to date one of the mob boss' relatives, but was told to back off by the kingpin

CCTV footage obtained by police showed Frank Cali shaking hands with his murderer before being shot dead

The 53-year-old can be seen heading outside on March 13, to investigate after a pick-up truck crashed into his parked Escalade

The pair engage in a conversation, but Cali turns his back on the man to place his crumpled license plate into the trunk of his car

As he does so, the suspect pulls out a 9mm pistol and fires at Cali 12 times

Cali scrambles desperately to hide under his car to shield himself from the hail of gunfire, but he is struck six times

Former Gambino hitman John Alite warned that retribution is inevitable and 'a couple guys are going to get killed now'

by Anonymousreply 182March 16, 2019 9:49 PM

Do you think the prosecution will ask for low bail so he’s back on the street? He’s not eligible for protection since he’s not offering any information and is not a witness.

by Anonymousreply 183March 16, 2019 9:49 PM

Suspect looks disheveled here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 16, 2019 9:49 PM

R180 Are you new here? Everyone knows the DM links often lead to stupid video. Just go to the home page, the story is right there. No need to be a dick. some tidbits posted at r182

by Anonymousreply 185March 16, 2019 9:49 PM

Wow, this guy had balls and was pretty stupid all at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 186March 16, 2019 9:51 PM

Oh, he’s hot.

I’ll protect him.

He’s good-looking so he couldn’t have done it.

by Anonymousreply 187March 16, 2019 9:51 PM

he lewks hawt here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 16, 2019 9:52 PM

I'm relieved it was a civilian who did this. A mob war is the last thing anyone needs. I'm sure said civilian is not relieved as he is not long for this world. What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 189March 16, 2019 9:52 PM

And right on time r188 comes in to support r187.

*sigh*

by Anonymousreply 190March 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Maybe a DLer can hide him underneath his caftan? That's the only way the mob won't get to him.

by Anonymousreply 191March 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Is there sizemeat verificatia of the suspect?

by Anonymousreply 192March 16, 2019 9:58 PM

He looks mentally challenged in the mug shot.

What a senseless and pathetic demise for a Crime Boss. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 193March 16, 2019 10:01 PM

Construction worker gunning a guy down over a romance. Try to be a little bit less of a stereotype, eh?

by Anonymousreply 194March 16, 2019 10:02 PM

He looks a little like Tim Tebow in the DM preview picture.

by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2019 10:05 PM

The killers' entire extended family must be in fear for their lives right about now.

by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2019 10:06 PM

I thought sonething was off about this story. Mob hitmen don’t usually drive around in pickup trucks, do they?

by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2019 10:09 PM

What's the guy's life expectancy if he's released into the general population in prison?

More than six hours?

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2019 10:16 PM

Has Jersey Shore Vinny issued a statement yet?

by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2019 10:19 PM

Yes, r199, but we’re still trying to decipher exactly what the hell he said.

by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2019 10:28 PM

Whaaaa? One article says killer came out of truck gun blazin, other says they shook hands?

by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2019 10:36 PM

[QUOTE]I thought sonething was off about this story. Mob hitmen don’t usually drive around in pickup trucks, do they?

That’s part of what would’ve made this such a legendary hit. Instead it’s just some punk mad over a girl? I can’t believe this. How does some trash like that think he has the right to touch a mob boss? He’s a dead man. He deserves to be skinned alive.

by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2019 10:40 PM

[quote]Mob hitmen don’t usually drive around in pickup trucks, do they?

No, usually the scoot out of a Yugo.

by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2019 10:41 PM

Welcome to the DL Drita @ r202

by Anonymousreply 204March 16, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] How does some trash like that think he has the right to touch a mob boss?

Amazing how people are so enamored of these glorified thugs. Nobody has any "right" to hurt anyone, including your beloved mafia men, who make it their business to hurt people every day.

I'm enjoying the fact Mr. Cali was taken out by some mental case outside the mob. It wasn't his business telling this dude he can't date a woman in his family. The woman can tell him herself. We don't know yet if she maybe even wanted to date this guy. Or if she didn't, if she pleaded with Uncle Frank (or whatever he was to her) not to make a scene about it. Fucking dumb macho pimp/drug dealer. Psh!

I have no sympathy for men like him and other mobsters/gangsters need to get over themselves. Any rando nutbag could take them out just like this.

by Anonymousreply 205March 16, 2019 10:54 PM

But ya gotta admit he apparently was right about whatever reservations he had about his family member dating this nut.

by Anonymousreply 206March 16, 2019 11:05 PM

^ Yes, and look where it got him.

by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2019 11:09 PM

Nutbag was not impressed by Don Cali.

by Anonymousreply 208March 16, 2019 11:08 PM

Now we know what it would look like if you crossed Jay Leno with Tim Tebow. Not bad.

by Anonymousreply 209March 16, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote] It wasn't his business telling this dude he can't date a woman in his family. The woman can tell him herself.

If some nutbag with a gun wanted to date me, I'd be very happy for an old mafia don to tell him to leave me alone so I wouldn't have to do it myself.

by Anonymousreply 210March 16, 2019 11:12 PM

Well maybe the mafia doesn't have the "respect" they once did.

All they do is pimp and deal drugs anyway, in between bullying small businesses into giving them money and fighting with each other over this... Sicilian THING that's been going on for 3,000 years!!

by Anonymousreply 211March 16, 2019 11:18 PM

So how do they decide who replaces Don Cali?

by Anonymousreply 212March 16, 2019 11:25 PM

They wait until Election Day, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 213March 16, 2019 11:34 PM

They start shooting each other, like in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 214March 16, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote] Amazing how people are so enamored of these glorified thugs. Nobody has any "right" to hurt anyone, including your beloved mafia men, who make it their business to hurt people every day.

Exactly. I don't condone violence but these guys are scum -- they terrorize via fear, extortion, and intimidation. They're not the jolly, jovial wiseguys of TV. Along with the Catholic church, the scourge of Sicily.

by Anonymousreply 215March 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Who eats dinner at 9:15?

by Anonymousreply 216March 16, 2019 11:40 PM

Radio reports says cops have arrested a 24-year-old based on his fingerprints on Cali's license plate. This wasn't a mob hit. Cali objected to the guy dating the daughter of a friend.

by Anonymousreply 217March 16, 2019 11:42 PM

Geez who kills his own brother. Shudder!

by Anonymousreply 218March 16, 2019 11:42 PM

Oops, ok it was some nutjob, not the brother.

Well, there's that.

by Anonymousreply 219March 16, 2019 11:43 PM

R36 were you born before the gangplank went up?

by Anonymousreply 220March 16, 2019 11:44 PM

He looks retarded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 16, 2019 11:46 PM

Cosa Nostra News reported through sources that Comello may have heard voices that night “to the extent that he ‘asked’ President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence for permission to kill the Gambino acting boss.” Authorities have not confirmed that account.

by Anonymousreply 222March 16, 2019 11:48 PM

Paul Castellano's killers wore Russian hats, signaling the takeover by the Russian mob.

by Anonymousreply 223March 16, 2019 11:51 PM

^ If only all right wing Trumptards would target their violence on thugs like Cali, instead of going on a mass shooting rampage at a church or movie theater or elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 224March 16, 2019 11:51 PM

[QUOTE]If some nutbag with a gun wanted to date me, I'd be very happy for an old mafia don to tell him to leave me alone so I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Exactly. Frank Cali was trying to protect this young lady from a known neighborhood scumbag. If anything he was too nice: a mob boss like John Gotti might’ve had this piece of shit executed if he didn’t think he got the message. Somebody probably should’ve put this little wannabe gangster out of his misery years ago. Frank Cali would still be here today, God rest his chivalrous soul.

by Anonymousreply 225March 16, 2019 11:55 PM

Whew! Glad you showed up to tell us that r217. We had NO idea until you posted.

‘Course ya coulda just read the new posts, or scrolled up maybe just a touch, but nah, that’s OK.

by Anonymousreply 226March 17, 2019 12:00 AM

I can’t believe some angry millennial twerp with a grudge was able to murder a mob boss in front of his home. What the hell is the world coming to? He couldn’t confront Frank man to man so he ambushed him in the middle of the night in his fucking pajamas. What a disgrace. No amount of protective custody will keep the mafia from getting to this pork chop. He might as well kill himself now cause he’s dead!

by Anonymousreply 227March 17, 2019 12:05 AM

We have no idea yet, how Cali dealt with the nutbag, or if the woman even wanted him dealt with. I'll wait for that info before declaring a glorified thug, who most likely pimped out women as part of his income, to be "chivalrous."

by Anonymousreply 228March 17, 2019 12:06 AM

How many of the Cali fanboys in this thread have a Scarface poster on their wall?

by Anonymousreply 229March 17, 2019 12:09 AM

I hope they gouge this cafone’s eyes out! Justice for Frank Cali is coming, you motherless fuck!

by Anonymousreply 230March 17, 2019 12:10 AM

People are as breathless to mention their ancestral connection to the mob as others are to mention the Cherokee princess in the family tree.

by Anonymousreply 231March 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 232March 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Is it acceptable to be Gay and a made man these days? Do you have to be very quiet about it, or does it depend on how much money you can make for the mob?

by Anonymousreply 233March 17, 2019 12:15 AM

R233, no.

by Anonymousreply 234March 17, 2019 12:16 AM

R223

Russians? I thought John Gotti took out Paul Castellano?

by Anonymousreply 235March 17, 2019 12:19 AM

I've never understood why the Mob never killed Sammy the Bull.

He ratted out Gotti & others in the family. Sammy the Bull served his reduced time & now lives in Arizona.

I would've thought he'd have been murdered either while in prison or after his release.

by Anonymousreply 236March 17, 2019 12:24 AM

^ Maybe they're not as competent as people like to believe.

by Anonymousreply 237March 17, 2019 12:27 AM

It's rumored that Sammy did the other bosses a favor by ratting out Gotti. Gotti loved the spotlight and thought he was invincible. Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 238March 17, 2019 12:31 AM

Besides, who else is in prison with these white adjacent mafia goons who take falls for their bosses? Mostly blacks and Hispanics, that's who, many of whom are in petty racial gangs themselves. Do you think they give a fuck about this Sicilian THING that's been going on for 3,000 years?!!

by Anonymousreply 239March 17, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Sammy the Bull served his reduced time & now lives in Arizona.

Then he got arrested in Arizona and spent the next twenty years in prison. He was recently released.

by Anonymousreply 240March 17, 2019 12:49 AM

Did he say Bad A Bing as he shot him?

by Anonymousreply 241March 17, 2019 1:22 AM

[QUOTE]During the course of the investigation police scrubbed further back on the surveillance video timeline and saw Comello lurking on the porch outside Cali’s home earlier in the day, an official said Saturday.

[QUOTE]The official said investigators are considering the possibility that the man rang the door bell and was told to go away, leading him to back the pick up truck into Cali’s SUV.

This just gets more fucked up by the minute. The guy is lurking around a mob boss’ home in the daytime, comes back ringing the bell late at night and all he gets told is “Go away”? Wtf kind of shit is this? Why would Frank go out there without his gun? Why would he go out there AT ALL rather than call the goons up? It’s so preposterous. Was Frank so intent on not making headlines that he tried his damnest to make this kid go away quietly? Well look how the fuck that turned out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 17, 2019 2:18 AM

did antony tink dat killing the girl's family friend would make the girl want him maw? gah forbid

by Anonymousreply 243March 17, 2019 2:34 AM

"How does some trash like that think he has the right to touch a mob boss?"

Perhaps that should have been phrased "How does some trash like that think he can touch a mob boss and not die a horrific slow death by blowtorch and machete?".

by Anonymousreply 244March 17, 2019 3:02 AM

This is almost like President Kennedy being killed by a nobody like Oswald. It just doesn’t make sense that greatnesss could be extinguished by insignificance.

by Anonymousreply 245March 17, 2019 3:18 AM

r245 Nobodies from Buttfuck, USA don't have intelligence connections. And they don't get assassinated by shady nightclub owners.

by Anonymousreply 246March 17, 2019 6:33 AM

This really could've happened to anyone. It just HAPPENED to happen to a mob boss.

[quote]Cosa Nostra News reported through sources that Comello may have heard voices that night “to the extent that he ‘asked’ President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence for permission to kill the Gambino acting boss.” Authorities have not confirmed that account.

Any other sources claiming that? Or is Cosa Nostra just trying to drum up some liberal outrage on behalf of their fallen don?

Aren't most guido gangsters ultra conservative anyway?

One last thing, the Sicilian THING has only been going on for 2,000 years, not 3,000.

by Anonymousreply 247March 17, 2019 6:33 AM

Was he in a sexual relationship with the young man?

by Anonymousreply 248March 17, 2019 6:40 AM

Yes, where's the gay angle? Who's gay here? Why are we talking about this if it's not gay?

by Anonymousreply 249March 17, 2019 6:52 AM

[quote]This is almost like President Kennedy being killed by a nobody like Oswald. It just doesn’t make sense that greatnesss could be extinguished by insignificance.

It happens all the time...

by Anonymousreply 250March 17, 2019 8:22 AM

Yes, it does.

by Anonymousreply 251March 17, 2019 12:42 PM

This is like the "Lot Lizard" thread, a chance to use the Datalounge to look into a world that I will never experience in real life.

I live in a small town in the unfashionable parts of California, what do I know about New York mobsters except what I hear second hand?

by Anonymousreply 252March 17, 2019 5:13 PM

Fucking Frank Cali was so intent on not looking like a mob boss that he allowed some neckbearded millennial jerkoff to blow him away on the steps of his own home. With ONE phone call he could’ve assembled a Gambino hit squad that would’ve wiped this mook off the face of the earth but he didn’t want to draw any unwanted attention and add a murder charge to whatever indictment the feds were cooking up (there’s always one around the corner). His death is a result of the fear that authorities have put into modern mafiosi, combined with New York’s ridiculous gun laws that make citizens hesitant to exercise their right to bear firearms in defense of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 253March 17, 2019 5:38 PM

The authorities sure are eager to establish that there are no mob motivations at play here.

by Anonymousreply 254March 17, 2019 5:43 PM

[quote] One last thing, the Sicilian THING has only been going on for 2,000 years, not 3,000.

Cosa Nostra hasn't yet been going on for 300 years, let alone 3,000. But if by 'Sicilian Thing', that poster means petty, familial squabbles, feudalism, and blood vendettas, then OK, maybe 3,000 years is not too far off the mark.🤣

by Anonymousreply 255March 17, 2019 5:47 PM

[QUOTE]The authorities sure are eager to establish that there are no mob motivations at play here.

I doubt there are, but this kid isn’t tough and he’s looking at spending the rest of his life in prison. If there’s anything else to this story, particularly concerning Cosa Nostra, they’ll get it out of him real quick. That’s what they’re in the process of doing right now, especially since he’s a marked man who could literally get killed at any moment. All five families want this guy dead immediately. The contract is out.

by Anonymousreply 256March 17, 2019 5:48 PM

I’m going back to Cali ...

Man I don’t think so

by Anonymousreply 257March 17, 2019 5:52 PM

Italian-Americans want to reestablish criminal control of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 258March 17, 2019 5:53 PM

Actually r258 they’re circling the drain in that department. Too busy killing each other or ratting each other out — or doing ubertacky reality shows — to retake organized crime in nyc.

by Anonymousreply 259March 17, 2019 5:59 PM

We never stopped, R258.

by Anonymousreply 260March 17, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote]The authorities sure are eager to establish that there are no mob motivations at play here

To prevent NYers from wondering if there’s going to be an all-out mob war in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 261March 17, 2019 6:08 PM

[quote]Fucking Frank Cali was so intent on not looking like a mob boss that he allowed some neckbearded millennial jerkoff to blow him away on the steps of his own home. With ONE phone call he could’ve assembled a Gambino hit squad that would’ve wiped this mook off the face of the earth but he didn’t want to draw any unwanted attention and add a murder charge to whatever indictment the feds were cooking up (there’s always one around the corner). His death is a result of the fear that authorities have put into modern mafiosi, combined with New York’s ridiculous gun laws that make citizens hesitant to exercise their right to bear firearms in defense of their lives.

Good. Except you sound like another NYer who's sorry that public safety has taken precedence over your "street cred" cache.

by Anonymousreply 262March 17, 2019 6:11 PM

[QUOTE]Actually they’re circling the drain in that department. Too busy killing each other or ratting each other out — or doing ubertacky reality shows — to retake organized crime in nyc.

The mafia has suffered a tremendous brain drain thanks to the societal barriers of entry that were knocked down for Italian-Americans after they got accepted into “whitehood.” All the sharpest knives earn a legit living now. They go to college, they get steady jobs. You don’t need to be a mob boss to get a nice house in Staten Island anymore. The Carlo Gambinos of the world are in stocks and real estate, they’re running grocery stores, they’re doctors and psychiatrists and accountants, they’re in politics. The future of the American mafia is doomed with the shallow end of the gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 263March 17, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote] Good. Except you sound like another NYer who's sorry that public safety has taken precedence over your "street cred" cache.

There are a lot of breathless experts in this thread, aren't there? Apparently all it takes is growing up in the Tri-State area and Italian American neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 264March 17, 2019 6:17 PM

I’m always so amused by self-righteous Italians today who are just horrified that the stereotypical connection is always made to the mafia. But let’s face it. If your Italian family is from the tri-state area, somewhere in your family tree is a mob connection. An uncle who worked in a bar, a cousin who did construction, etc. To deny it is just ludicrous. Own your heritage! No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 265March 17, 2019 6:17 PM

I like your take, r263.

[quote]One last thing, the Sicilian THING has only been going on for 2,000 years, not 3,000.

[quote]Cosa Nostra hasn't yet been going on for 300 years, let alone 3,000. But if by 'Sicilian Thing', that poster means petty, familial squabbles, feudalism, and blood vendettas, then OK, maybe 3,000 years is not too far off the mark.🤣

I believe the point was to remain true to Kay's famous line in The Godfather before getting smacked across the face by Michael, and that she was indeed talking about petty vendettas.

by Anonymousreply 266March 17, 2019 6:20 PM

For every white collar success, R263, there are five more who work in construction and sanitation.

by Anonymousreply 267March 17, 2019 6:22 PM

Vinny says he's concerned, R199.

by Anonymousreply 268March 17, 2019 6:47 PM

"The authorities sure are eager to establish that there are no mob motivations at play here. "

I really wonder if this schmuck wasn't pressured into doing the murder by a "business rival", because one way to get under a boss's radar might be to send a genuine civilian to do the hit. Surely these guys can identify each other fairly well? People who belong to fringe groups can usually spot other members.

Still, fear of an all-out mob war... if NYC has become a playground for the rich, does the Mafia dare hold an all-out street war? It's not like the old days when they ruled the city, nowadays you piss off the wrong person and suddenly your territory is full of Blackwater Security vans.

by Anonymousreply 269March 17, 2019 6:59 PM

Yes. Let's go back to these glory days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270March 17, 2019 7:05 PM

I was a mob kid. My father was in tight. There was also my maternal grandfather who didn't get along very well with dad. I found out why at my grandfathers funeral. Seems dear old grandfather was a police officer for 20+ years. Also explains why he discouraged me from being police.

by Anonymousreply 271March 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Tell us more, R271.

by Anonymousreply 272March 17, 2019 7:57 PM

It looks like a Duck; it behaves like a Duck; and it quacks like a Duck. It's a Duck.

by Anonymousreply 273March 17, 2019 8:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 17, 2019 8:28 PM

What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 275March 17, 2019 9:08 PM

I don't believe a so called "nobody" would rub out the Gambino boss. It's way too neat and I think there's more to this story than the cops are saying.

by Anonymousreply 276March 17, 2019 9:13 PM

This is not helping New York Italian-American's poor reputation.

by Anonymousreply 277March 17, 2019 9:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 18, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote] I don't believe a so called "nobody" would rub out the Gambino boss. It's way too neat and I think there's more to this story than the cops are saying.

You give the mob too much credit. And before you can say "all he had to do was make ONE PHONE CALL," it would be bang, bang, bang! before these half dozen wop gooombah guineas you believe will magically fly out of the woodwork (dressed in black of course) to defend their don.

The simplest explanation is usually the truth.

But because it's a beloved middleaged white Italian thug boss in NYC, people will refuse to believe a retard killed him so easily. The mafia's "rules" for exterminating each other don't mean shit to anyone outside the mafia, especially a nutbag retard.

by Anonymousreply 279March 18, 2019 1:25 AM

That's a beautiful big tree in the front yard.

by Anonymousreply 280March 18, 2019 1:27 AM

R278 It'll be interesting to see how long it takes someone to kill him. He's a murderer, who cares.

by Anonymousreply 281March 18, 2019 2:00 AM

I fucking love the DL. When I posted this, I thought it would maybe be interesting to a handful of posters here and there if even that. Was I wrong. I love it, and I am learning so much! Yeah, I know...Mary!

by Anonymousreply 282March 18, 2019 4:21 AM

I didn't know the Italian Mafia was still a thing anymore

by Anonymousreply 283March 18, 2019 4:28 AM

r283 there is not one "Italian Mafia". The flashy, Italian American outfit everyone knows is based in the South. There are other groups who are much deadlier and still do quite a bit of business around the world.

The Calabrian branch have a powerful presence in Canada, and over the years they would only deal with certain American mafia leaders who had power, but lower profiles. The Don in Buffalo became very powerful as a result (a lot of cross border smuggling, which was much easier pre-911, that brought in a lot of money for the whole group, which made him influential).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284March 18, 2019 6:54 AM

R284, I'm not surprised to see Sicily being blood-red on that mafia map. Naples either. I have family in both regions -- so proud!

by Anonymousreply 285March 18, 2019 7:33 AM

Poor Anthony is such a sfigato.

The Staten Island man accused in the ambush shooting death of a Mafia family boss said told cops he smoked pot before the killing and tried to float a self-defense theory, law enforcement sources said.

Anthony Comello, 24, told investigators that Gambino crime family boss Frank Cali came at him with a gun — forcing him to shoot.

Cops found no weapon on Cali — and are still trying to figure out what drove Comello to shoot the 53-year-old mob kingpin right outside his Todt Hill home.

Investigators are looking into the possibility the killing was by lovesick rage unrelated to mob business. Cali may have tried to prevent Comello from dating his niece, police sources said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286March 18, 2019 7:41 AM

Obviously “suicide by mob” for the kid.

by Anonymousreply 287March 18, 2019 7:58 AM

What a great defense! Anthony was forced to defend himself by shooting Cali 10 times after the mob boss turned his back and then tried to kill him with an invisible gun.

by Anonymousreply 288March 18, 2019 8:24 AM

Suspect in Gambino Crime Boss Murder Showed Up to Court with ‘MAGA Forever’ Written On His Hand....does this mean Trump loses the Mafia vote in 2020?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 18, 2019 9:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290March 19, 2019 12:39 PM

R263 sounds like a mob groupie lol.

Meanwhile, no. The ginzo mob is dead because the feds finally figured a way to stop the hydra’s heads from growing back.

by Anonymousreply 291March 19, 2019 12:51 PM

I won't post the link since it's Fox, but this story is the gift that keeps on giving. I don't want it to end!

The man accused in the brazen murder of the Gambino crime family's alleged boss reportedly once attempted to make a citizen’s arrest of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Comello showed up outside city halls to protest the de Blasio’s reign and tried to make a citizen’s arrest of him, the New York Post reported, citing police sources.

by Anonymousreply 292March 19, 2019 2:33 PM

Geez -- even mob shootings aren't what they used to be...

by Anonymousreply 293March 19, 2019 5:28 PM

Of course, he's a Trump loony.

Anthony Comello — who showed up for his first court appearance Monday with “MAGA forever” and references to the conservative QAnon movement scrawled on his hand — managed the Instagram account “realamericasvoice_” which is filled with anti-Democrat and pro-President Trump posts, said the pals, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“He had a secret Instagram. He used to post crazy things about politics and Trump and Democrats,” a source said.

Another post was of Trump and Vice President Mike Pence from Jan. 20 with the caption, “This has been the greatest and amazing two years in this great country (THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA) for god, for country, for family @realdonaldtrump @vp you rocked the world. We the people are blessed for your SELFLESS PATH FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. THANK YOU.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 19, 2019 9:11 PM

Eugenics movement. Look it up

by Anonymousreply 295March 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 20, 2019 5:44 PM

Fucking thread got bogged down and now you’ve gotta turn off link previews to respond on iPhones.

by Anonymousreply 297March 20, 2019 5:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 20, 2019 5:52 PM

A lot of people here sound like they're posting from 1978.

With surveillance cameras everywhere, everyone with a phone that's also a camera and recording device and the internet keeping records of everything, running organized crime has got to be more trouble than it's worth these days. Aren't these guys just basically drug dealers now?

by Anonymousreply 299March 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Cali, along with several other Gambino Family All-Stars, has been buried in New Dorp’s Moravian Cemetery. Another notable family interred at Moravian are the Vanderbilts. Their Masoleum was a hang out spot when I was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 300March 22, 2019 3:23 AM

R9 she TRIED to usher him away. She didn't succeed.

by Anonymousreply 301March 22, 2019 3:30 AM

r299 there's an old military saying, if the enemy's in range, so are you.

Organized Crime also have access to the same, and in some cases more advanced technology. You're also forgetting the role political corruption plays in their operations. Generally, OC can't exist without political, particularly local, corruption.

by Anonymousreply 302March 22, 2019 6:37 AM

Still hard to believe Cali was wily enough to become a Gambino boss then gets whacked by a dim thug like Comello. Cali apparently didn't realize how astonishingly stupid Cornello is and let his guard down. Marone.

by Anonymousreply 303March 22, 2019 7:04 AM

How long will they let that punk live?

by Anonymousreply 304March 22, 2019 7:07 AM

AM I the only one who wants this kid beaten up? He looks scary

by Anonymousreply 305March 22, 2019 7:59 AM

The fact this punk looks so smug after realizing who he killed tells you he is crazy. He will be tortured in prison

by Anonymousreply 306March 22, 2019 8:04 AM

[quote]Still hard to believe Cali was wily enough to become a Gambino boss

Let’s not pretend you have to be a Rhodes Scholar to be a boss. Remember, Junior was a boss for a time.

by Anonymousreply 307March 22, 2019 12:27 PM

He was wily enough to the old and somewhat predictable ways, not the new 'da fuk idiocy that young males revel in.

by Anonymousreply 308March 22, 2019 1:21 PM

Am I the only one who wants this kid?

by Anonymousreply 309March 22, 2019 10:06 PM

Yes, R309.

Never stick your dick in crazy.

by Anonymousreply 310March 22, 2019 10:16 PM

Has the amateur hit man been murdered yet?

by Anonymousreply 311March 23, 2019 12:21 AM

Life is so ironic

by Anonymousreply 312March 24, 2019 4:53 PM

Comello's lawyer, Robert Gottlieb, says hate speech on the Internet made his client kill Cali. I know. But what are you going to do? Give the lawyer some kind of props for pulling nonsense out of his ass? Here's some of his incoherent word salad:

“Hate words matter ... We certainly are taking this very seriously, but at the end of the day, the truth and the reasons for whatever happened here will become so clear and will be shown to be directly related to the impact of the hate that people are bombarded with every day on the internet and elsewhere."

“When I raise the issue of the internet and the hate that’s on the internet, it wasn’t simply to raise potential defenses,” Gottlieb said. “We’re trying to get to the truth of what happened. Whatever happened happened. And that can be complicated, but there are certain signals that were picked up when he appeared in New Jersey.

“I don’t think I’m being cryptic, nor do I think what was on his hands was cryptic in any way,” Gottlieb said.

The late Jimmy Breslin would have loved this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Yes that poor boy was so overwhelmed by hate on the internet that he had to go murder a bedrock of the criminal community, tsk tsk

by Anonymousreply 314March 27, 2019 11:35 AM

Robert Gottlieb couldn’t get an innocent man off (Martin Tankleff).

He loses more cases than he wins.

by Anonymousreply 315March 27, 2019 12:32 PM

[quote]If your Italian family is from the tri-state area, somewhere in your family tree is a mob connection.

You don't even have to be Italian. I grew up in north Jersey, a Dutch/German WASP, and even I had mob connections. I was a Good Humor/Pied Piper Ice Cream man as a summer job in New Jersey. And yes, Pied Piper Ice Cream, is total mafia. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 316April 6, 2019 7:25 AM

How do you make a get away if you are on Staten Island in a pickup truck? Wouldn't you need a boat?

by Anonymousreply 317April 6, 2019 7:42 AM

Don't tell me the shooter is still alive!

Damn, the Mob must be losing its grip.

by Anonymousreply 318April 6, 2019 8:26 AM

Well I'm Chinese on S.I. and the fortune cookie supplier for my restaurant is mob run.

by Anonymousreply 319April 6, 2019 8:49 AM

None of that is true.

The mob doesn’t exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 320April 6, 2019 11:29 AM

Yes, he's still alive. Nobody but the eldergays care about this... Sicilian THING that's been going on for two thousand years!!!"

by Anonymousreply 321April 7, 2019 11:35 PM

No goombah guineas have come out of the woodwork to kill him yet? No connected jailbird or sheriff deputy has smothered him in his cell or stabbed hom with a shank?

by Anonymousreply 322June 9, 2019 2:01 PM

Anthony Comello is still a deplorable Trump-humping conspiracy theorist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 1, 2020 6:22 AM

If Cali had warned the kid about staying away from the girl wouldn't he have recognized him? - (and therefore gone back inside) - Or did he do it by CandyGram?

by Anonymousreply 324March 1, 2020 9:02 AM

r324 Comello denies he knows Cali's niece. The trial is going to be a circus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325March 1, 2020 11:11 AM

I think the mob could resurface. Why? Because the biggest law enforcement agency in the U.S. is more focused on terrorism than they are on domestic crime. Perfect opportunity for the mob to re-assert itself.

by Anonymousreply 326March 1, 2020 2:46 PM

The still-alive, mentally disabled shooter is due in court on June 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 30, 2020 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!