Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BREAKING: Trump Issues Order Grounding All Boeing 737 Max Airplanes

President Donald Trump has announced that he has issued orders to ground all Boeing 737 Max 8 & 9 airplanes amid growing safety concerns after deadly crashes involving these planes have occurred.

On Sunday an Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 killed all 157 people on board and took place just minutes after takeoff. Last October, a 737 Max 8 operated by Indonesian carrier Lion Air, crashed in a similar circumstance and killed 189 people.

Trump said in a press spray in the White House Cabinet Room:

“I’ve spoken to Elaine Chao, Dan Atwell, acting administrator of the FAA and to Dennis Muilenburg, CEO of Boeing and they’ll be available shortly after our conference today. And they are all in agreement with the action. Any plane currently in the air will go to its destination and thereafter be grounded until further notice. So planes that are in the air will be grounded, if they’re the 737 max, will be grounded upon landing at the destination.”

Global groundings of this particular Boeing model had put increased pressure of on the United States Federal Aviation Authority. Earlier today Canada had announced plans to ground the plane amidst new information that has reportedly come out as reasons behind the Ethiopian Air crash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2019 6:52 PM

And what is wrong with this?

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 9:17 PM

For the first time, he does the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 9:17 PM

I surprisingly agree. Jesus fuck, am I a MAGAt now?

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 9:18 PM

[tagged] in a press spray

It always comes back to piss with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 9:21 PM

Trump finally did a good thing, it only took two years.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 9:22 PM

Read speculation over at Pprune site that the FAA had received new data and were going to announce the grounding order but Trump being the attention whore, issued the order first.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 9:25 PM

I agree this is the right thing to do but maybe now we can add executive overreach to his list of charges...

Grounding flights is an FAA decision and not a Presidential one. Heck, even during 9/11 it was the FAA that decided to halt all air traffic not Bush

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 9:27 PM

I hadn’t thought of that - he’s totally trying to get attention

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 9:31 PM

Oh no, and there was me hoping Dad might take one of these planes one fine day in the near future!

:-(

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 9:32 PM

Manafort distraction

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 9:36 PM

Trump is grasping for anything that might make him look remotely competent as POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2019 9:39 PM

Hold me R2!!!

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2019 9:54 PM

FAA is a component of Dept of Transportation. Trump is over the DOT, like any other federal agency. So based on the public concern about the safety of the 737 MAX it is probably not unreasonable for him to issue the grounding (if that is what he did) or announce it. Like mentioned in the first few comments this may be the first or third time he got something right. But the day isn't over, so he will screw this and a few other things up up somehow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2019 9:57 PM

He announced this about 2 minutes after Canada banned the planes. A happy coincidence, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2019 10:09 PM

[quote]And what is wrong with this?

Because it's by Presidential fiat rather than by letting the FAA drive this conversation without interference or intervention.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2019 10:32 PM

Boeing should be extremely worried about this. It could further impact their market share and give their rivals like Airbus an opportunity to pick up the slack.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2019 10:46 PM

Too bad Air Force One is not a Boeing 737 Max..

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2019 10:47 PM

He should've grounded them before 30 plus other countries did.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2019 10:52 PM

Did Dennis Muilenburg support Hillary?

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2019 10:54 PM

This is good. This shows that we can acknowledge the very rare instance when he does something not of the devil. We’re not deranged anti-Trumpers who object to it all because we hate him, we hate what he does and when he does the right thing we’ll acknowledge it. He also did something about streaming royalties for musicians thanks to that clown Kanye bending his ear, and it looks like things there might marginally improve. But that’s pretty much it.

If this were Obama, the deplorables would have tried to book flights on every 737 they could.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2019 11:19 PM

If this were Obama, the deplorables would have tried to book flights on every 737 they could.

IF ONLY

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2019 11:21 PM

Weren’t they talking about upgrading airforce one while Obama was still in office, r17? Obama really dropped the ball on this one. If he’d authorised the new plane then a new 737 max would have been good to go as soon as Trump assumed office.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2019 11:24 PM

True. That would have been amazing r21.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2019 11:24 PM

The FAA should have grounded these planes days ago.

Trump did the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2019 12:27 AM

R24- Trump only did the right thing because once Canada grounded the planes, the US was the only major country still flying them. Trump used the same explanation almost word for word that Marc Garneau used when he grounded the Canadian planes.

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2019 1:42 AM

Must we refer to him as President?

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2019 1:50 AM

This is the only right thing he's done in two years.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2019 5:08 AM

Prepare for delays and higher ticket prices. I hope this is based on fact and not cheap political points or rumors. Yes, I used the F word

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2019 5:35 AM

He jumped the gun and made the announcement once he was told the FAA was going to announce. At the press conference he carried on like some aviation expert when his only experience in air travel was driving trump airlines into bankruptcy. We know there is an autistic in the WH but I doubt it's Barron.

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2019 5:44 AM

America Last!

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2019 6:01 AM

To those with Trump Derangement Syndrome... everything he does is wrong no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2019 8:05 AM

R31, I kinda agree. obviously he's unfit, but EVERYTHING he does can't be wrong. Let's use our critical thinking skills to determine what is wrong and when to shut the hell up. Do we really want more defective airplanes falling out of the sky?

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2019 9:00 AM

The Ethiopian government/Ethiopian Airlines want Boeing to be blamed.

Boeing wants pilot error/EA to be blamed.

One wonders if the public will ever really know something that passes for the truth of the cause of the crash.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2019 9:11 AM

They should have grounded these jets after the Lion cash, it was obvious that something was really wrong.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2019 9:21 AM

Of course he's also been trying to appoint his personal pilot as Head of the FAA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2019 2:00 PM

It's been reported that the CEO of Boeing personally asked Trump to NOT ground the planes, which is why the FAA dragged on it.

It was only after the public uproar that Trump suddenly decided it was necessary.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote] To those with Trump Derangement Syndrome... everything he does is wrong no matter what.

What he did was right, but the fact that it took the US 2 days, after all the other countries involved did it immediately is what makes this suspect.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2019 2:36 PM

Trump only does what's right after a public uproar

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2019 2:37 PM

[quote]It's been reported that the CEO of Boeing personally asked Trump to NOT ground the planes, which is why the FAA dragged on it.

The FAA’s job is to ensure aviation safety, not to protect the interests of a CEO.

Trump stepped in when the FAA failed.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2019 9:36 PM

Bullshit, R39. See r36.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2019 6:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!