Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Netflix: After Life

Damn this is so good. Ricky Gervais is so great. Loved Roisin Conaty as Daphe, she is the best. I would love to be friends with Roisin, she seems fantastic. Tony and Anne’s cemetery friendship is a highlight too. Great to see Ashley Jensen and Ricky working together again. Although I can’t help but wish that Stephen Merchant was playing the terrible shrink.

Blasted through the first four episodes this evening and will save the last two until morning.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 1:29 AM

It’s rated high on IMDb but I barely got through the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2019

The dog is also fantastic. I’m not a dog person, but she is changing my mind.

by Anonymousreply 203/13/2019

Watched the whole thing last night. Funny and poignant. Could have done without the shrink character though.

by Anonymousreply 303/13/2019

Fucking hell. I think Gervais has actually outdone Peter Kay with the amount of dogshit he's managed to squeeze out of the same handful of paltry ideas. Not content with padding out his live stage shows with pub jokes from the 80's, he's now reworking them into stilted dialogue.

Sad that he's managed to drag Diane Morgan into his career-killing troupe. Given that she's basically been dressed up as the "sexy secretary" trope, I've got a horrible feeling her character is being set up as his love interest (although obviously not until the final episode so that Gervais can max out on his patented brand of oh-so-edgy misanthropy).

by Anonymousreply 403/13/2019

Gervais is one of the few celebrities who I find so utterly irritating that I won't watch what they're in because I'd be too distracted. There's this weird combination of boring and faux edginess from him that just grates.

Can't think of many others. Jonathan Ross I guess -- if he's on a talk or awards show, I'm turning it off.

by Anonymousreply 503/13/2019

Binged it last night. After the 1st episode I continued to the 2nd hoping it would get funnier. I ended up just really enjoying it. It was dark and heavy but also had heart. There was also humor thrown in here and there. Overall, I found it very different and entertaining. Anne was amazing and the dog was heart warming. Hoping it gets a 2nd season. I'll always love Ricky's disdain for religion and he always has it out for fat people lol.

by Anonymousreply 603/13/2019

For OP and the posters who liked it: have you watched Ricky's show Derek? What did you think of it? I loved it and thought it had a lot of heart. I haven't watched After Life yet but I'm going to.

by Anonymousreply 703/13/2019

R7 I’ve only watched Extras and Invention of Lying.

by Anonymousreply 803/13/2019

My husby and I are going to watch this series tonight. I hope we love it. I hope he likes it - to me it seems great, but my husby calls me an emotional gay queen. Is the series depressing?

by Anonymousreply 903/13/2019

It’s depressing but in the best way possible. It’s indescribably good. Got me a bit teary.

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2019

There were parts of it that were very funny, but the last episode was a complete shift in tone.

I felt as if I was suddenly watching the Hallmark Channel, where Ricky wanted us to like him, to really, really, like him.

The last episode was just so mawkish. I half expected it be revealed that the lady in the cemetery was really an angel sent to help him (because that was the only explanation why that old bitch was in the cemetery every motherfucking time he went. That was such a ludicrous plot device.)

by Anonymousreply 11Last Tuesday at 7:55 PM

Couldn’t get through five minutes. More Brit cuntineas disguised as “edgy” and “subversive”.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Tuesday at 9:18 PM

First episode down.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Tuesday at 9:26 PM

I've watched all but the final episode. For some reason, Netflix wouldn't let me see the last episode, so I'll try again today. The series is too depressing and doesn't give much hope, so I'm not really enjoying it. A couple of funny bits, but average overall. Ricky can do better, but he doesn't seem to want to try hard anymore. He seems to be coasting on past triumphs.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 1:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!