Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix: After Life

Damn this is so good. Ricky Gervais is so great. Loved Roisin Conaty as Daphe, she is the best. I would love to be friends with Roisin, she seems fantastic. Tony and Anne’s cemetery friendship is a highlight too. Great to see Ashley Jensen and Ricky working together again. Although I can’t help but wish that Stephen Merchant was playing the terrible shrink.

Blasted through the first four episodes this evening and will save the last two until morning.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2020 10:58 PM

It’s rated high on IMDb but I barely got through the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 9:41 AM

The dog is also fantastic. I’m not a dog person, but she is changing my mind.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Watched the whole thing last night. Funny and poignant. Could have done without the shrink character though.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 10:09 AM

Fucking hell. I think Gervais has actually outdone Peter Kay with the amount of dogshit he's managed to squeeze out of the same handful of paltry ideas. Not content with padding out his live stage shows with pub jokes from the 80's, he's now reworking them into stilted dialogue.

Sad that he's managed to drag Diane Morgan into his career-killing troupe. Given that she's basically been dressed up as the "sexy secretary" trope, I've got a horrible feeling her character is being set up as his love interest (although obviously not until the final episode so that Gervais can max out on his patented brand of oh-so-edgy misanthropy).

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 10:11 AM

Gervais is one of the few celebrities who I find so utterly irritating that I won't watch what they're in because I'd be too distracted. There's this weird combination of boring and faux edginess from him that just grates.

Can't think of many others. Jonathan Ross I guess -- if he's on a talk or awards show, I'm turning it off.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 10:31 AM

Binged it last night. After the 1st episode I continued to the 2nd hoping it would get funnier. I ended up just really enjoying it. It was dark and heavy but also had heart. There was also humor thrown in here and there. Overall, I found it very different and entertaining. Anne was amazing and the dog was heart warming. Hoping it gets a 2nd season. I'll always love Ricky's disdain for religion and he always has it out for fat people lol.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 12:59 PM

For OP and the posters who liked it: have you watched Ricky's show Derek? What did you think of it? I loved it and thought it had a lot of heart. I haven't watched After Life yet but I'm going to.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 3:57 PM

R7 I’ve only watched Extras and Invention of Lying.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 7:35 PM

My husby and I are going to watch this series tonight. I hope we love it. I hope he likes it - to me it seems great, but my husby calls me an emotional gay queen. Is the series depressing?

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 10:14 PM

It’s depressing but in the best way possible. It’s indescribably good. Got me a bit teary.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 8:34 AM

There were parts of it that were very funny, but the last episode was a complete shift in tone.

I felt as if I was suddenly watching the Hallmark Channel, where Ricky wanted us to like him, to really, really, like him.

The last episode was just so mawkish. I half expected it be revealed that the lady in the cemetery was really an angel sent to help him (because that was the only explanation why that old bitch was in the cemetery every motherfucking time he went. That was such a ludicrous plot device.)

by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2019 3:55 AM

Couldn’t get through five minutes. More Brit cuntineas disguised as “edgy” and “subversive”.

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2019 5:18 AM

First episode down.

by Anonymousreply 13March 20, 2019 5:26 AM

I've watched all but the final episode. For some reason, Netflix wouldn't let me see the last episode, so I'll try again today. The series is too depressing and doesn't give much hope, so I'm not really enjoying it. A couple of funny bits, but average overall. Ricky can do better, but he doesn't seem to want to try hard anymore. He seems to be coasting on past triumphs.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2019 9:29 AM

I watched Seasons 1 and 2 over the weekend. Funny and sad and different. Will there be a Season 3?

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2020 9:49 PM

OP, if you have never seen the original BBC version of "The Office," you have skipped GO without earning your $200. In other words, you can't really grasp where Ricky Gervais has come from and follow it to where he's ended up, without "The Office." Which is a loss for you.

The BBC "Office" was so funny and brilliant, it was almost astonishing, like a miracle. "Extras" was funny with a little more layers to it but still very, very absurd and funny. "After Life" is is aging atheist's reflection on life and death. It's way deep into his career. Not saying you shouldn't love this latest series, but it needs context.

Basically, you just really need to watch his original version of "The Office"!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2020 10:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!