Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Date a guy with a low credit score?

I know it's shallow, but I met a guy who is my type, we hit it off completely. But I found out his credit score is only 579. We're both in our late 40s, I feel like he should have his shit together, or at least be trying. He's not. Should I continue to see him?

by Anonymousreply 86March 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Post a picture of his cock, and then we will decide

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 12:58 AM

If that's the kind of person you are, yes, you should give him the immediate opportunity to be free of your judgmental cuntescence.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 12:59 AM

Credit scores don't snuggle up with you in the moonlight, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 1:01 AM

How did you find out his credit score?

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 1:01 AM

You sound like a superficial p.o.s. I hope he finds out that you (1) know his credit score and (2) are so bitter in life that you'd consider not dating him based on something so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 1:02 AM

I once dated a bankrupt guy

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 1:03 AM

I gotta be honest; I wouldn't. My credit score is in the eight hundreds and I've protected and nurtured it my entire life. I'm thirty-six and view those who don't have the same financial "morals" as I have as just incompatible. The reality is that someone who's in their late forties would have had to make some very bad decisions to garner a score in the five hundreds. To be fair you should just come out and ask him about it.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 1:04 AM

Well, is he cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]My credit score is in the eight hundreds and I've protected and nurtured it my entire life.

You [italic]nurtured[/italic] a credit score?

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 1:06 AM

I’d be careful, truthfully. He’s a bit too old to be that reckless with his credit rating. There’s probably a long conversation coming if you continue to date. That’s likely “well, there was an uhhhh-gly divorce and I got shafted and had to declare bankruptcy”. Along with carrying lots of credit card debt and making minimum payments and those were late.

Just not somebody you let anywhere near your money. If you can’t trust somebody with your money, question the rest of his judgement.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 1:06 AM

It depends what you are looking for. If you are dating to get married and buy a home together then that might be a factor. In several years. But it sounds like you barely know this person. If it's such a big issue to you then you should let him know.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2019 1:06 AM

Did he tell you, did you ask, or did you just research him on your own?

Because credit can improve but judgmental people seldom do.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2019 1:09 AM

Op, run the other way. No responsible person has a credit number that low

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2019 1:12 AM

I've certainly nurtured mine R9. I'm not the poster up thread but, yeah, I've absolutely nurtured my credit score. I've done so by not buying what I can't afford. These days, your credit score is everything so I think a little nurturing is called for.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2019 1:12 AM

Ok, ok.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2019 1:17 AM

There's absolutely nothing stupid about it R5. You sound like your credit score is low too. Perhaps OP can fix you up with his loser since he doesn't want him.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2019 1:17 AM

Credit scores can be repaired if you are willing to break your bad financial habits. Sometimes, all it takes is paying your bills on time and not maxing out your credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2019 1:28 AM

He's twice married, no kids. Came out late in life. He told me about his score, it isn't due to the divorces, they pretty much all went their separate ways with what they brought in the relationships.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2019 1:33 AM

"See" him? Yes. Get financially involved with him? Oh hell no! Don't loan him money, & don't spend more money on him than he spends on you (restaurants, etc). In other words, don't let him run a game on you that ends up costing you money, even little bits at a time.

Do you know why his FICO core is so low? Some times it's because of situations completely out of someone's control, such as huge medical bills, or the loss of a job. If it's for a reason like that then you could possibly rest easier if you get more involved with him. If it's because he's a moron with money and has no self control over his spending then I wouldn't get any more involved with him other than an occasional pump, dump & run.

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2019 1:36 AM

Coming out late in life is almost always a deal breaker. Big sign of cowardice. Twice married shows impulsivity, desperation, and no self ontrispection. No kids though is a good one.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2019 1:37 AM

A high credit score only proves that you're good at borrowing money and paying it back with interest, and that you're a good mark for financing companies.

It's not a sign of actual wealth.

A low score however, is a stong indicator of poor financial hygiene.

A zero credit score is a clue that somebody knows how to actually save money and not nees to borrow and would be a sign of actual wealth.

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2019 1:39 AM

He's basically got no tradelines. No credit in his name. I didn't want to make him feel bad, but I can't fathom how that's possible at his age.

R20 from what he tells me, there was barely any sex, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2019 1:40 AM

R21 he's most definitely not wealthy, lol.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2019 1:41 AM

Credit scores are a huge invasion of our privacy and should not be allowed. You are an asshole, OP, for giving them any legitimacy whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2019 1:43 AM

OP, r23 I should have been more clear: "no" credit score, or a lack of a score, is a sign that someone actually has money and doesn't need to borrow.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2019 1:44 AM

I agree. OP is a nosy, judgmental douche.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2019 1:45 AM

[quote] A zero credit score

There's no such thing.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2019 1:46 AM

You can, just don't think you'll be able to marry and buy a house or anything with him. Ain't nothing wrong with a broke guy, especially if he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2019 1:46 AM

Actually, I just saw the "no tradelines" thing. This is so not a problem, that 579 will rise as soon as he opens his first credit card. No credit history is a big difference from terrible credit history.

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2019 1:47 AM

OP, this is a small matter that I would ignore, though I would keep your finances separate. Also, if you marry, you also marry his debt.

If you meet in your 20s and build a life together, or you have kids, I can understand sharing finances. Otherwise, I think it’s stupid to do so.

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2019 1:47 AM

If he has little to no credit in his name then obviously it was all in his wife's name which tells me he went into the marriage with bad credit.

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2019 1:48 AM

OP, you're not a woman, the only consideration should be whether you find him physically attractive.

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2019 1:49 AM

But then, if he's hot, a great fuck, and has a huge dick, most anything is workable.

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2019 1:49 AM

OP, mine is around 830. Are you hot?

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2019 1:50 AM

My old boyfriend wanted to open a joint bank account. I saw no reason to do so. We were together for two years at that point and there didn’t seem to be a need for it. Then a few months later, he broke up with me. I’m glad I didn’t get financially involved with him.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2019 1:50 AM

I dated someone with a low credit score but he didn't care and came from money. He had several fights with American Express and cosigned some loans for friends. His attitude was there was nothing he couldn't buy outright, including multiple homes, cars, etc. He was worth way more than I realized, at least 50 million, and stands to inherit another 200 million when his Mother dies and his Grandparents trusts are liquidated. He uses cash, debit cards and he has a UBS card tied to his account but it's not a debit card so he can rent cars on vacation. He refers to himself as living off the credit grid. He also has an aversion to on line shopping and had a secured credit card he used only for that. His Grandfather owned a lot of land under office buildings and hotels in New York which he bought during the depression and World War 2.

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2019 1:50 AM

R35 that was a close call! Major absconding of funds was in your future

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2019 1:53 AM

My credit score was in the high seven hi dress. then I gave my sister my emergency fund because she got behind on rent several months. A few months later, my business took a hit and I got behind and things snowballed. I know have a credit score of 520. I'm filled with shame about it, and I'm slowing working my way out if debt. (I have less than $3K in credit card debt, a 10K loan, 12K in back taxes and a 9K dental bill to pay down.) Some people just get behind it. It's not a statement of their character, which matters a fuck ton more than their credit score. he told you to be honest. That should speak for something. It sucks that you're using it against him.

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2019 1:56 AM

OP is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2019 2:00 AM

R36, I suspect your friend is actually a grifter.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2019 2:01 AM

I was in my 40s and found out I had a low credit score. I had always paid everything on time and never borrowed. But because I was so fiscally responsible, I was rated low.

People without credit cards and debt have low credit scores. The system is designed to reward living beyond your means. So it is possible this guy is more responsible than you.

I finally got credit cards, which I pay off twice a month. Still cannot break 800 because I do not carry debt and pay everything before it is due.

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2019 2:06 AM

That "reward living beyond your means" is just pure crap. You don't have to use credit, you just have to have tradelines for a LONG time. Hell, you can make money on credit cards. Get the ones that pay $100 to $200 when you spend some reasonable amount that you were probably going to spend on your home or car insurance, pay it off, then collect your bonus, and throw the card in a drawer.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2019 2:11 AM

OP at first I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just someone who never needed credit because low credit doesn't automatically mean bad finances but with the other details I'm leaning towards him being irresponsible with money. Does he seem at least sucessful or capable in other ways? If he isn't then you could be looking at a relationship that in the longterm feels like you're a parent rather than a partner. I guess at least he isn't lying about his situation.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2019 2:11 AM

Does he shoot far? Or does that suck like his credit score too?

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2019 2:15 AM

R42, not everyone needs credit cards and loans. If you do not ever spend more money than you have on hand, you do not need either .

And I learned to my surprise that if you do not have credit cards or borrow, the reward is a crappy credit rating.

I had been thinking I was doing the right thing until I applied for my first credit card and was told that I had a horrible credit score. I had only ever borrowed student loans, so I thought I was doing great.

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2019 2:18 AM

The wisest rule you'll ever live by is: OPENING A JOINT BANK ACCOUNT WITH ANYONE, EVEN A SPOUSE, IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER! The only time I think you should do it is if you have an aged parent who can still live on their own but can't handle the financial responsibilities such as paying bills, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

I briefly was "seeing" someone, and two weeks in he got upset because I covered the buttons while I was typing my p.i.n. at an a.t.m.. It wasn't that I didn't trust him (he had tons of inherited money), it was just none of his business. I asked if he would let me see his and he said no.

by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2019 2:22 AM

R47 wasn't that a Jerry Seinfeld episode?

by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2019 2:24 AM

Sizemeat verificada. Now.

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2019 2:25 AM

R10 basically said what I would. Someone in their late 40s with that type of terrible credit would absolutely give me pause. It shows they are irresponsible and reckless to a worrying extent.

The people who pretend otherwise I'm sure have never been in an adult relationship.

by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2019 2:26 AM

[quote] Still cannot break 800 because I do not carry debt and pay everything before it is due.

That's actually not true. I have never carried any debt. I have never had a mortgage. I paid cash for my main home that I've lived in for 43 years. I've have a summer home that I also paid cash for. I have always paid cash for my cars & I've never taken out a loan, not even a cash advance on a credit card. I have 3 credit cards that I predominately live on. I pay almost every daily expense I incur with those 3 credit cards and pay them off in full a few days before the statements drop so that my monthly statement balance reported to the credit agencies is always zero. And I have a credit score of 834 (as of today). I'm 65 years old and have been doing things this way my entire adult life. So keep doing what you're doing. Your score will increase over time.

by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2019 2:30 AM

A credit score doesn’t tell you everything. But it tells you something. Having owned and rented out many rental units over the years and I now also dabble in property management, I’ll tell you that we do not consider people with low scores to be an acceptable risk. It can be an indication that areas of their life are not together. Financial obligations are commitments. How a person pays their obligations could indicate how they feel about commitments, or how well they will perform with commitments. I might take a hard pass on the guy unless the credit is afoul from MEDICAL debt. That is usually a legitimate circumstance that could’ve been beyond his control. But if it’s petty shit like credit cards, evictions/unpaid rents, car repos, unpaid cell phone bills, etc...pass.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2019 2:33 AM

Is he a druggie? Or a gambler?

by Anonymousreply 53March 13, 2019 2:33 AM

And breaking 800 is no magic wand. If your score is 760 or above you're not going to have any problems. The average credit score for Americans is 687. You'd be shocked if you knew what most people's score is who are responsible for reviewing your credit worthiness in any situation. Most of them could only hope to have a 760 or higher credit score.

by Anonymousreply 54March 13, 2019 2:35 AM

I only date men who are generous. I certainly wouldn’t date a broke man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 13, 2019 2:37 AM

r45, you may not need credit or a good credit rating today, but things can happen in the future. There are plenty of credit cards that when used correctly won't make you pay a nickel more than if you had paid cash and with some, less, and in the process, you are prepared for the unexpected. It's FREE insurance.

Chase Freedom is giving 5% back on gas stations and drug store right now. I'm saving money on my gas that I have to buy anyway. Discover is giving 5% back on groceries. My newest card is 0% interest for 13 months plus a $100 bonus for spending $1,500. I'm banking the money I would have spent anyway and getting 2.2% while it sits in the bank ready to pay the bill when the 0% promo runs out.

When I lost my job in 2010, I was out of work for a 1-1/2 years. I was able to use my credit cards where they were accepted, preserved my UI benefits for minimum payments and places that don't take cards like for my car payment, and I was able to strategically stay afloat, and I only spent $75 in finance charges.

by Anonymousreply 56March 13, 2019 2:41 AM

OP my credit score is 550. I am 41-years-old. Date me?

by Anonymousreply 57March 13, 2019 2:44 AM

Don't use the free credit score sites to find out what your score is. Those sites are not trustworthy. Credit Karma for example only pulls from 2 of the 3 reporting agencies. And it happens to be the 2 that most financial institutions don't even use. The most popular reporting agency with retail and financial concerns is Experian. The free sites only pull from Trans Union and/or Equifax.

by Anonymousreply 58March 13, 2019 2:44 AM

AMEX gives you score. Doesn't anyone else get one?

by Anonymousreply 59March 13, 2019 2:49 AM

A* score

by Anonymousreply 60March 13, 2019 2:51 AM

R38 I wouldn't beat myself up too badly over it.The average score is 687, which means at least 50% of those Americans are well below it.

by Anonymousreply 61March 13, 2019 3:17 AM

Upthread guy who said you can’t have a zero score..I didn’t post that zero score but I know Asians moving here don’t have credit scores (they pay cash for everything ) and no credit is considered as bad as bad credit for purposes of getting credit.

by Anonymousreply 62March 13, 2019 4:00 AM

I don’t know my score, because I don’t need to.

by Anonymousreply 63March 13, 2019 5:37 AM

How about helping him out with repairing his credit OP?

by Anonymousreply 64March 13, 2019 6:10 AM

OK, I'm old and out of the mainstream, but isn't it kind of creepy that a new prospect knows everything about you, including your credit score (! ), before you get to first base?

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2019 6:29 AM

^he shared it with OP. I sold cars briefly in college and an applicant for credit had a fairly recent (few yrs) bankruptcy but a high credit score.

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2019 9:05 PM

R66 how's that possible?

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2019 9:12 PM

Yes, you're right OP, it is shallow -- my credit score is crap, due to my job being eliminated after 28 years, no income for 20 months, and medical issues which led to being on disability, which translates to my income being 40% of what it once was.... But the house is paid for, as is the car. But I probably would not want to date you.

by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2019 9:21 PM

OP And you wonder why you are all on your lonesome?

Vile creature.

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2019 9:24 PM

I'm not "all on my lonesome" though r69, so reevaluate your (lack of) conclusion reaching skills.

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2019 9:35 PM

I'm sure r68 and r69 are not shallow, I'm sure they're both fine with dating obese men and very ugly men, because they are so above shallowness.

Eyeroll.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2019 9:37 PM

R68, a broke disabled man wouldn't want to date me. How can I go on, knowing I can't have all that?!😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2019 9:40 PM

If you cannot discuss this with the actual person in question, you may not have the interpersonal skills needed to maintain a relationship.

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2019 11:22 PM

It is harder to have a score in the 800s if you don't have installment loans, such as student loans, car loans or mortgage payments.

by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2019 1:02 AM
by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2019 4:21 AM

Date him? Yes.

Marry him / Move in with him / anything more serious with him? Talk to him about what the issue was since it would be relevant then.

In my 20s I was one of those people who, thanks to a good job, was able to pay off my student loans quickly. I then figured that I only needed one credit card and I never used it because I just paid everything with cash or debit from my bank account. I paid my bills on time, had a cell phone but didn't need a car and never opened any lines of credit in any form other than my old loans which were paid off. My score sucked.

I really wish they would start early and teach kids this stuff in school because spending within your means and nothing outside of that isn't enough. It is slightly more complex than that.

by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2019 9:13 AM

I don't know OP. Are you Chinese?

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2019 9:30 AM

No, I'm not Chinese, why?

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2019 7:34 PM
by Anonymousreply 79March 19, 2019 10:15 PM

OP did you ever ask this guy why he has a low credit score? Did you tell him that you threw him under the bus on a gay blog before even asking him the reason?

by Anonymousreply 80March 19, 2019 10:27 PM

Yo, what’s a credit score?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2019 11:09 PM

R80 yes, and yes, he's fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2019 11:38 PM

A relationship is about 'he gives me what i need'. Now that could be Love...kindness...even Drama...so if Credit score is a high priority, then he doesnt give u what u need. But something will inevitably bw missing..its about the things that are present makjng a high percentage..of what u need. If u get 75 % ur doing well. (Actually i think str8s need WAY less compatibility. Wud a gay coupke work whete one wants to watch football while one wants to go see Liza? In the str8 world thats the norm....although 'stereotypically'.

by Anonymousreply 83March 20, 2019 12:15 AM

Lol, WHAT?!😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 84March 20, 2019 2:14 AM

"Nurture" is the kind of word you use to describe human relationships, that is why the use for credit scores sounds retarded.

by Anonymousreply 85March 20, 2019 2:18 AM

I don't think that credit score comes into play at all unless you intend to buy a house with him or marry him. Otherwise, who really cares? That said.....that is a low score.

by Anonymousreply 86March 20, 2019 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!