Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's this about a Superbloom in Southern California and Arizona?

Anyone seen such a thing in person? And if so, where's the most northerly place to see a proper super-duper-bloom?

I have Teusday and Wednesday off, and might make a dash for the Carrizo Plain or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2019 7:11 PM

The pollen, it burns!

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2019 12:44 AM

I am going to take my camera out and go to town photographing and picking wild flowers. 🌺

But when is this bloom supposed to occur? Apparently rare birds, bees, and butterflies 🦋 are supposed to descend down to California following the nectar and pollinators.

Maybe this is a good omen for SoCal and Mother Nature will no longer be mad at us. 🌳

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2019 12:47 AM

I don't have time to get down to Anza Borrego, but even here in Palm Springs the desert flowers are pretty spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2019 12:49 AM

Ahhh! The bees! They sting!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2019 12:50 AM

I'll bet Death Valley is pretty spectacular. How about the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve?

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2019 4:43 AM

OP here. Looks like I can't get away, but I will have a long weekend 3/23. If the superbloom is just starting now, will it be over by then?

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2019 5:24 AM

Sure does look purdy. Like an earthbound version of the Northern Lights or something.

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2019 5:34 AM

OP, try the Carrizo Plain west of Bakersfield, east of San Luis Obispo.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2019 5:39 AM

I live in Lake Elsinore, where the superbloom has attracted tens of thousands.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2019 5:44 AM

What's all this I keep hearing about Superglue in Southern California and Arizona?

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2019 5:50 AM

Perfect, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2019 5:53 AM

The Wind Wolves Preserve, just south of Bakersfield, should also be a promising place to see wildflowers.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2019 5:55 AM

That looks like Annihilation.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2019 5:58 AM

OP, visit now. Wildflower bloom in California is short.

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2019 8:40 PM

Scenery like this probably played a part in the color palette of California artists, like Selden Gile of the Society of Six.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2019 9:07 PM

Take pictures for us if you go, OP!

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2019 9:46 PM

Different areas reach peak-bloom at different times, OP. (see link) But R14 is right, don't drag your feet!

I would definitely suggest people go on a weekday, if your schedule allows. There was an hours long traffic jam on 1-15 near Lake Elsinore this weekend because so many people went to see the superbloom. (and too many people on the trails, blah!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2019 10:10 PM

Although not mentioned in R17, wildlife biologists are also expecting a pretty spectacular wildflower displays in the Santa Monica Mountains this spring, particularly in the Woolsey fire burn areas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2019 10:40 PM

Supposedly Death Valley is not a good show this year because the rain needed to come a month or two earlier. I’d still like to have a look around though.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2019 11:55 PM

I follow malibupost on Instagram and there have been a lot of pictures lately of the Woolsey fire area. It’s coming back with lots of green shoots.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2019 11:57 PM

OP here, managed a few hours at the Carrizo Plain, insane amount of wildflowers in the hills on the northeast part of the valley.

How long do these things last? In ten days I can make a longer trip, will it be over by then?

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 8:28 AM

Table Mountain up north near Orovlle is known for its spectacular wildflower bloom. I wonder how the heavy rains will affect it this season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 8:18 PM

r9 I was on I-15 yesterday and was amazed at all of the wildflowers on the east side of the freeway between Corona and Elsinore. Like nothing I've ever seen before.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 11:57 PM

R22, any way of finding out whether Oroville is blooming up yet? So far in No Cal the wildflowers are just starting up, mostly mustard and a few poppies.

There's no way there's a Datalounger in Oroville. Chico, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2019 12:00 AM

I"m in Sacramento and our poppies are already in full bloom. The site below has some links and a phone number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Here are a couple of twitter addresses you can use, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2019 1:22 AM

Poppies...poppies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2019 1:26 AM

The flower fields are open now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2019 2:37 AM

In the Coachella Valley, the mountains are the greenest I've ever seen them. More snow on the mountains than I can remember in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2019 2:38 AM

Video from Walker Canyon. Lots of mustard in bloom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2019 5:11 PM

I was at Table Mountain, Oroville today. Spring is just starting up, there are wildflowers but they're small and kind of scattered, with a few areas of carpeting. Early spring species, I'm going to visit again over the next month or two if I can.

Spring is here, but she's still in her bathrobe and trying to decide what to wear, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2019 2:58 AM

Lake Elsinore had to shut down due to the crowds today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2019 4:10 AM

The blooms are a little late arriving due to recent heavy rains so the Daffodil Hill opening was postponed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 20, 2019 5:29 PM

Amidst the visitor congestion over the weekend at/near Lake Elsinore, a tourist managed to get bitten by a rattlesnake. If you decide to go wandering around in Southern California fields and meadows, DO watch out, as this is also the start of rattlesnake season.

by Anonymousreply 34March 20, 2019 5:37 PM

I went to the Antelope Valley poppy reserve on Monday. Lots of brilliant orange poppies as well as purple and yellow flowers. The craziest part is the butterflies—they are everywhere. Just a constant stream of them the entire time I was there. Go on a weekday, though. It was really crowded even on a weekday.

by Anonymousreply 35March 20, 2019 5:37 PM

People ruin everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 20, 2019 5:44 PM

[quote]If you decide to go wandering around in Southern California fields and meadows, DO watch out, as this is also the start of rattlesnake season.

People also need to be careful with their dogs. They'll naturally poke around in bushes and may stir a nesting snake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 20, 2019 5:52 PM

When will Northern California - like near Guerneville - blossom?

by Anonymousreply 38March 20, 2019 6:09 PM

[quote]When will Northern California - like near Guerneville - blossom?

There are already lots of pansies in Guerneville.

by Anonymousreply 39March 20, 2019 6:34 PM

People really do fuck up everything. All these ATTENTION SEEKERS are exhausting. Everyone acts like its a all you can eat buffet 24/7 now. Gross!

by Anonymousreply 40March 20, 2019 7:21 PM

Consistent with the hypertourism happening across the globe. There is no tourist-worthy destination left that isn’t overwhelmed with gawkers. Even in nature. Just go to any national park - the crowds are insane almost all the time now.

by Anonymousreply 41March 20, 2019 7:38 PM

I might be able to visit So Cal this weekend. Is the bloom still going to be on, and is there any place I can see the blooms on the weekend without fighting crowds? Do I have to go all the way to the hell and gone Carrizo Plain?

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2019 9:54 PM

Oh fuck! Now they have put up zip lines. Sicking. People really do fuck up everything.

by Anonymousreply 43March 23, 2019 1:14 AM

Beautiful. Is it natural?

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2019 1:16 AM

True, R41

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2019 1:16 AM

Where, R43?

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2019 9:08 AM

Is the superbloom still on?

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2019 5:55 PM

Yes, it should last through early April. Many sites—Lake Elsinore (where the bloom is most super), Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego, etc.—post periodic updates about the flowers. Below is Elsinore. Sounds beautiful, but no way in hell I’d go on a weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2019 6:03 PM

You should still be able to see them up north for a few weeks yet as the bloom was delayed by heavy rains.

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2019 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!