Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WEHT Michael Schoeffling from “Sixteen Candles”?

They’re giving this right now on AMC and I forgot how incredibly gorgeous this guy was.

The first time I saw him was in Mermaids with Cher. I loved when he took Winona Ryder’s V card as poor Christina Ricci was drowning.

He is iconic as “Jake Ryan” and one of the most beautiful love interests in a teen comedy.

What happened to him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395June 13, 2022 1:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2019 1:17 AM

Yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2019 1:18 AM

He runs a B&B in VT with Melissa Gilbert's brother. Happily together for many years now.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2019 1:18 AM

yum-ooooooooooooooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2019 1:18 AM

He’s not gay. He’s been married with kids for years. His daughter is a model.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2019 1:19 AM

Hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2019 1:20 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2019 1:20 AM

Vision Quest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2019 1:23 AM

That’s a film role... in real life he’s married to a woman.

He’s a beauty, or was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2019 1:23 AM

This is his model daughter, who took after her parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2019 1:25 AM

He makes furniture in Northeastern Pennsylvania, last I heard.

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2019 1:26 AM

Matt Dillon happened and killed any possible career Michael could have had. They looked alike, only Dillon was an actual actor while Schoeffling was a model whose looks scored him movie roles.

Schoeffling was the prettier, but less talented, version of Matt Dillon.

He became tired of good roles never coming his way so he picked up his wife, kid, and moved to PA and started a furniture store, which he always wanted to do. Completely abandoned Hollywood in the middle of the night and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2019 1:28 AM

Beautiful face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2019 1:30 AM

Jesus, his daughter is quite the narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2019 1:32 AM

Mike with his wife, daughter and son, early 90s after abandoning Hollywood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2019 1:32 AM

Scorching hot. The only reason I watch Mermaids when I catch it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2019 1:34 AM

Mike was the prettier but less talented version of Matt.

Matt’s talent got him the roles that could have went to Mike.

Here’s a side by side of them around the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2019 1:36 AM

R16 he’s the main reason I watch it, but I do actually enjoy it, mainly cause of Cher. Love the scene where she slaps the taste out of Winona’s mouth.

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2019 1:37 AM

Good analysis R12.

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2019 1:38 AM

An older thread has an alleged picture of him. It does look like him, he has long hair and glasses. Not a great look for what was once one of the most beautiful men ever.

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2019 1:48 AM

He was so beautiful in Mermaids that it almost hurt to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2019 1:49 AM

Here you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2019 1:52 AM

Still looks good, minus the ponytail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2019 1:52 AM

His daughter looks like the Hollywood version of Jazz Jennings in r10

Maybe she can star in the Lifetime movie whenever it's made.

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2019 1:53 AM

His daughter looks like her ethnic mom.

He looks fine. He just needs to lose the ponytail. If he got a haircut, lost the glasses and dressed up better we would swoon.

He’s only 58.

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2019 1:57 AM

I don't care that this movie was written/directed by "men." It's such a chick movie. It's like the teen version of every Austen novel. Absolute bullshit written by chicks for chicks.

Hot, rich, popular guy waiting for the barely above average chick.

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2019 1:57 AM

R26 Jesus. I’m so sick of people arguing that Jake Ryan would have never went for Sam in real life.

He already had the most popular girl in school and he wasn’t happy with her. He could have anyone in that school but he chose her cause he found her weirdness and awkwardness endearing and liked it.

Sometimes the not so pretty girl or guy gets the hot guy/girl. Lord knows I’ve seen plenty of couples where you question how one landed the other.

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2019 2:03 AM

R27, get real. Tom Brady ends up with Giselle Bundschen. All of these athletes end up with models/actresses/cheerleaders. And they still fuck around on them.

He had the most popular girl in the movie and in IRL, he'd fuck around on her with every chick including the plain one, but never "fall in love" - it's fucking HS.

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2019 2:09 AM

He was stunning!!! One of the most gorgeous men. That’s why he landed movie roles in the first place. He wasn’t an actor.

Watch him in Sixteen Candles. Not a good actor but INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY charming. If he made those facial expressions at me and spoke to me like he does I would MELT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2019 2:10 AM

I'm so sick of people misusing the term "iconic."

by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2019 2:11 AM

Not necessarily, R28. I've seen some really mismatched couples. That's said, the movie was pure fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2019 2:12 AM

He didn’t claim to be in love with her, R28. He was interested in her. He wanted to know her.

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2019 2:12 AM

That's why the movie is catnip for plain girls. They want to believe it's the more common scenario when it isn't. He'll let you blow him, but he's not looking for your plain ass to be his g/f when status is so important in HS. That's why The Breakfast Club is far better and far more realistic.

IRL, he ends up with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2019 2:14 AM

R32, come on. It's friggin' HIGH SCHOOL. The wealthy, hot jock in HS is rarely if ever "deep." Be serious. He's looking to fuck around. Yeah, tons of hot 17/18yo guys are looking for a deep commitment. You can't possibly be a guy.

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2019 2:17 AM

So Michael Schoeffling was the straight version of Matt Dillon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2019 2:17 AM

He'll be forever known as the mythical "Jake Ryan, the most popular boy in school", who only wants a girl who will really love him and who hands over his dead drunk girlfriend Caroline to a repulsive little creep to do with what he will. Here's some accurate commentary on Jake Ryan:

Jake Ryan is the embodiment of a fantasy so compelling it instantly made Sixteen Candles iconic: What if the object of all your romantic high school dreams decided to pursue you without you having to expend any effort whatsoever, just because they could see that you were, like, deeper and more special than the rest of the school? What if they somehow saw that without you ever having to have a conversation or interact with them in any way?

“Jake stands the test of time,” wrote Hank Stuever in the Washington Post in 2004. He quotes a 34-year-old woman who grew up on Jake Ryan: “Oh, gosh, Jake Ryan. Just thinking about it now, I get … kind of … It’s all just too good to be true.”

Jake Ryan’s reputation as the ideal dream boy of every teenage girl’s deepest fantasies has lasted for decades. Jake, writes Stuever, “is Christ, redeeming the evil sins of high school. Jake as the ideal. Jake as the eternal belief in something better.”

Yet Jake Ryan cold-bloodedly hands a drunk and unconscious Caroline over to another guy and says, “Have fun.”

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2019 2:21 AM

Was Matt Dillon really ever considered that talented that it could have hurt Schoeffling's career? In spite of some similarity in looks, they didn't really seem the same type to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2019 2:21 AM

Dillon was considered an actor who got the good roles. Schoeffling was the model who was offered the roles where he didn’t have to do much but be pretty and charming.

Dillon isn’t some amazing thespian but he would act circles around Schoeffling.

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2019 2:25 AM

Matt Dillon was already an established movie star by the time 16 Candles came out in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2019 2:28 AM

R34 the thing is he spend his entire HS career fucking who he wanted and partying. You forget he was now a senior about to graduate... he maybe was feeling a bit different now and wanted someone that actually was into him and not just wanting him for his status and looks.

R36 yes, I know. But that was common mentality amongst young men, that still exists today in HS and college aged guys. It’s not right but it’s not uncommon.

And yes, the character Jake Ryan, and Schoefflings image as Jake Ryan, are iconic and engraved in pop culture. If you search Jake Ryan on twitter or Sixteen Candles, you’ll find tons of young girls that have seen the film now going on and on about “perfect” Jake Ryan. I’m sure most only feel that way cause of who they cast to play him.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2019 2:31 AM

Dillon was still fresh in 1984, and had first dibs on good roles. Schoeffling never stood a chance. His lane was modeling and he should have remained and thrived there.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2019 2:32 AM

R33 actually he would have ended up with a blonde bombshell.

Ironically Schoeffling ended up with an ethnic model.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2019 2:35 AM

I think the public's enduring fascination with Jake was much like Samantha's, purely superficial. She didn't know him at all, she was attracted to him on a purely primal, aesthetic level.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2019 2:38 AM

I can't believe how bad he looks today. He aged like milk.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2019 2:40 AM

Many white People age like milk.

Here’s the scene that has some people bothered today with the Jake Ryan character.

R43 I agree. Like I said above, the Jake Ryan character is engraved in pop culture mainly cause of who was cast in the role. His image is what people think of when they think of this film. Molly Ringwald, and the beautiful Jake Ryan. No one cares about his flaws. They see him as perfect cause he is, physically.

Some also bitch about the Asian character.

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2019 2:44 AM

Sorry here’s the scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2019 2:44 AM

Several people in this thread have never heard of mixed attraction couples.

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2019 3:05 AM

I'm surprised people haven't asked Sixteen Candles to be banned. It's so politically incorrect - the Asian character, Jake allowing his drunk passed out girlfriend to be taken home by a stranger (and we're STILL supposed to root for him and Sam??) and they have sex (though she's drunk), the sister being completely drugged out at her own wedding. The whole movie seems to be about women not being able to consent (sex, wedding).

It didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 48March 9, 2019 3:13 AM

I’ve seen some HOT ASS DUDES with the ugliest people, but they saw them as beautiful. Everyone’s different and beauty is subjective

by Anonymousreply 49March 9, 2019 3:14 AM

He couldn't act, that was his main problem going forward.

by Anonymousreply 50March 9, 2019 3:18 AM

How did the sister not consent to her wedding?!

And Jake acknowledges his girlfriend is so drunk he can endlessly violate her all he wants but he hasn’t no interest, he wants someone that actually wants HIM. Then Anthony Michael Hall looks at him like he’s crazy, and Jake himself says he’s crazy for wanting someone that cares about him vs violating his drunk GF. He then tells AMH to take her home, make sure she gets home after he’s done with her.

It’s all right here.

Jake sounds like a normal teen guy of the 80s, to be honest.

The Asian Character is a stereotype to the extreme. And some of the lines are racist.

Her friend and her are speaking about how she wants a new car with a hot guy in it for her birthday, then Sam says “a black one”, her friend replies “A BLACK GUY?!” In shock and disgust and she says “no a black car. A pink guy”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 9, 2019 3:19 AM

There is a strong KJ Apa vibe on him in these Sixteen Candles vids (the kid who plays Archie on "Riverdale").

In fact, these clips have made me realize that KJ Apa is actually a pretty darn good actor, cuz I keep mentally substituting him in!

by Anonymousreply 52March 9, 2019 3:28 AM

R52 on social media KJ Apa has been called the modern day Michael Schoeffling many times since Riverdale premiered. Others have seen what you’re seeing.

Apa isn’t a good actor either. Another one benefitting from his physical appearance.

I love this scene in Mermaids where Cher kisses him and Winona Ryder gets pissed lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 9, 2019 3:32 AM

[QUOTE]Jesus. I’m so sick of people arguing that Jake Ryan would have never went for Sam in real life.

would have never gone for Sam

by Anonymousreply 54March 9, 2019 3:35 AM

Sometimes the Sams of the world get the Jakes.

by Anonymousreply 55March 9, 2019 3:46 AM

He was in the first wide-release theatrical film to deal with the subject of AIDS, Longtime Companion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 9, 2019 4:01 AM

I liked him in Vision Quest, and he’s endearing in Mermaids.

A full blown heartthrob in Sixteen Candles oozing charm and charisma in ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 9, 2019 4:08 AM

I give him credit, he knew when to walk away. He didn't even stay in California and stay a hanger on.

by Anonymousreply 58March 9, 2019 4:11 AM

His goal was always to eventually move to a small, quiet town and open a furniture store. His passion was building furniture. Modeling fell on his lap, as did acting.

I guess those are some perks to being absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 59March 9, 2019 4:13 AM

He had a good run, and a lot of his films still play on television regularly, particularly Sixteen Candles and Mermaids. New generations of young girls discover them, and new crushes begin.

He must still get residuals when they air, I assume?

by Anonymousreply 60March 9, 2019 4:15 AM

There were long periods in between films for him. He grew tired of the lack of roles, and his retirement from the industry came sooner than planned.

He was now married with two kids, that’s why he decided to abandon. If it were still just him I think he would have tried a little longer.

by Anonymousreply 61March 9, 2019 4:22 AM

R60 there are tweets as early as one hour ago on twitter from girls about Jake Ryan. All young.

He’s the epitome of teen heartthrob icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 9, 2019 4:32 AM

He would have dated Sam for awhile, just long enough for her to let him pop her cherry, and then he would have dumped her.

by Anonymousreply 63March 9, 2019 4:39 AM

I always found Molly Ringwald to be really pretty in The Breakfast Club.

by Anonymousreply 64March 9, 2019 4:44 AM

He was adorable and great in Longtime Companion.

by Anonymousreply 65March 9, 2019 4:44 AM

Loved him in Longtime Companion. So sweet.

by Anonymousreply 66March 9, 2019 4:49 AM

Even though it wasn't truly believable how it unfolded, I also think Molly Ringwald was pretty. R63, it would have been worth it. I read years ago that Molly wanted to do a follow-up film, I guess it never panned out.

by Anonymousreply 67March 9, 2019 4:49 AM

Sam and Jake weren’t gonna last long regardless. He’s having some moment where he wants to be with someone that “cares” about him. In his mind her fawning over him is her caring about him.

He also was a senior about to graduate from a rich family. She’s middle class and a Sophomore. Once he left to college they were done. He would probably want to try long distance but once he got out and saw some hot college girls, he would be balls deep in them.

by Anonymousreply 68March 9, 2019 4:58 AM

Oh my goodness, watching Ghost on AMC and what comes on next, Sixteen Candles.

by Anonymousreply 69March 9, 2019 5:08 AM

One of my very favorite movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 70March 9, 2019 5:16 AM

Where in PA is his furniture place? One link suggested Wilkes Barre.

by Anonymousreply 71March 9, 2019 5:29 AM

him....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 9, 2019 5:43 AM

R68 - Your post is 100% logical and then it cracked me up at the last phrase! LOL

by Anonymousreply 73March 9, 2019 6:35 AM

IMO, the ending of "16 Candles" was unrealistic.

When I see a mismatched heterosexual couple (man is a 9 and woman is a 5), I speculate that the man is gay.

IMO, Molly Ringwald was good-looking in "16 Candles." However, she was good-looking in a way that the high school boys, including Jake, would not have appreciated. (Short-ish red hair, vintage-type clothing, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 74March 9, 2019 7:06 AM

I DON'T WANT TO GO, I WANT TO STAY!

And do what?

FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!

GREAT START! What's your major, Town Tramp?

NO, MOM! THE TOWN ALREADY HAS ONE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 9, 2019 9:31 AM

It always amazes me that that these one time young and beautiful stars/models always seem to have ZERO style once they leave the industry. To have been dressed and styled by the best in the industry and to have walked away from that and learned nothing? Bruce Weber accuser and former model Jason Fedele is the epitome of this. Google him to see him at his modelling prime and then below looking like a below average bad hairstyle guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 9, 2019 10:31 AM

Here's another photo of him. Don't know how long ago the "older" photo was taken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 9, 2019 11:24 AM

R77 it’s been proven that’s not him.

Also looks nothing like him. The nose, lips, jawline etc. nothing matches.

by Anonymousreply 78March 9, 2019 11:27 AM

[quote] could have went to Mike.

There are no words. Appalling.

by Anonymousreply 79March 9, 2019 11:29 AM

R75 here is that scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 9, 2019 11:32 AM

His daughter posted this pic of her parents ❤️

I couldn’t even imagine having such a stunning father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 9, 2019 11:36 AM

I understand him going back to his small town roots, but why do you all think he wanted to live in anonymity? He doesn’t even allow his daughter to posts pics of them now. She has 3 pics with him up, one a pro model pic with her mom, the other two when she was a baby.

by Anonymousreply 82March 9, 2019 2:23 PM

Because he'd probably have stalkers, R82. In fact, he probably already has stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 83March 9, 2019 2:25 PM

There are groups devoted to track down and find “Jake Ryan”. So R83 May have a point.

I wonder if deep down he hated his gorgeous looks so that’s why he fell off the map. Some beautiful people resent their beautiful looks.

by Anonymousreply 84March 9, 2019 2:27 PM

r81 Is that a baby, what this a shotgun marriage?

by Anonymousreply 85March 9, 2019 2:36 PM

R85 who knows? They’re still together to this day.

by Anonymousreply 86March 9, 2019 2:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 9, 2019 2:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 9, 2019 2:57 PM

It's no worse than the King of Queens syndrome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 9, 2019 3:18 PM

what about PROM BLAINE

by Anonymousreply 90March 9, 2019 3:33 PM

I remember being kinda surprised when he left Hollywood, but he was probably right to do so. He knew his expiration day was coming and he was no Daniel Day Lewis, so what would there be for him in terms of roles once he hit 40 or 50? As others have mentioned, even a decent actor like Matt Dillon seems to pick and choose his roles these days. I honestly wish more actors and actresses like this would do that instead of putting fillers in their faces and doing reality shows to stay relevant. It's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 91March 9, 2019 3:35 PM

[Quote] I honestly wish more actors and actresses like this would do that instead of putting fillers in their faces and doing reality shows to stay relevant. It's just sad.

Is this a dig at Denise Richards??

by Anonymousreply 92March 9, 2019 3:36 PM

I don't want to get in trouble.

Mike was never, ever comfortable with being a "star".

He's kinda shy and very happy now. No, he doesn't build furniture, he does carpentry and high end cabinetry.

Yes, he lives i Pennsylvania. Bucks County.

Yes, his daughter is an aspiring model.

And no, he never was or is even slightly gay. It cost him.

Got to know him back in my time at F.I.T.

Very nice, normal,but really private. He would hate this.

& p.s. he was the first guy to wear CK underwear in GQ.

by Anonymousreply 93March 9, 2019 3:44 PM

Yes, I knew he was the first CK underwear guy in GQ. At like 19 or 20 he was already in GQ. He has a degree in Liberal Arts and yes, very shy and conservative.

And I keep telling people that he wasn’t gay nor did he use his body to get ahead. Had he been willing he would have had a better career. I mean, after 1986 he didn’t land another movie until 1989. I’m sure that wouldn’t have been the case if he used his “assets” to get ahead.

Hollyweird high ups wanted to devour him.

by Anonymousreply 94March 9, 2019 3:50 PM

Why do very private people go into modeling and acting? They only seem to get really private when their career is on the down turn. Anyway I enjoyed him in everything he did and I understand that was mostly because of how good looking he was. The only two that come close to him are Robert Tyler(a few of you will know) and Ryan McPartlin.

by Anonymousreply 95March 9, 2019 3:50 PM

R95 cause the opportunity fell on his lap. He didn’t seek it out. He got his degree from Temple University and a photographer got him into modeling while he was there. He was a good student as well as a wrestler. He was a collegiate wrestler that won many medals in national and international championships.

Photographer Bruce Weber took notice of him, and made him a model. Weber also KNEW with his looks he had a face that could make it in films, so he personally paid for Schoefflings acting classes in Manhattan. Not long after Schoeffling would land the role of Jake Ryan, which would bring him stardom internationally (as is still relevant to this day).

He didn’t seek it out. It came to him and he took advantage of it and saved up as much money as he could.

The plan was always to eventually move into obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 96March 9, 2019 4:01 PM

Wow. He sounds so fucking deep. LOL

by Anonymousreply 97March 9, 2019 4:03 PM

I wouldn’t say he’s deep. He is who he is. Some people are very shy. Some don’t like attention, especially when it’s never for his work or talent, but ALWAYS for his appearance. I’m sure that starts to make someone feel like all their worth is their exterior.

by Anonymousreply 98March 9, 2019 4:07 PM

For my fellow Theatre Thread devotees ... would you recommend a musical about his life called "Schoeffling Along?"

by Anonymousreply 99March 9, 2019 4:07 PM

His daughter looks like she's M2F trans.

by Anonymousreply 100March 9, 2019 4:07 PM

I would have milked his cock every day.

by Anonymousreply 101March 9, 2019 4:10 PM

R101 you’re a dude? Not his thing. If he were open to that he may have landed more roles. Many big timers wanted to get at that in exchange for work, he never accepted the offers. Not who he is.

I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 102March 9, 2019 4:12 PM

Looks completely different with longer hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 9, 2019 4:12 PM

Looks hot as fuck with short or long hair...

by Anonymousreply 104March 9, 2019 4:15 PM

How certain is it that the pic at R22 and R23 is really him? Because the nose looks completely different to me.

by Anonymousreply 105March 9, 2019 4:22 PM

Every part of that face looks the same minus the nose.

That’s him i think.

Some people’s noses change with their hormones at certain ages...

by Anonymousreply 106March 9, 2019 4:24 PM

Not very

by Anonymousreply 107March 9, 2019 4:24 PM

His smile always made me weak in the knees.

Very angelic looking and wholesome in values.

by Anonymousreply 108March 9, 2019 4:32 PM

I'm dying laughing at r92!!!

by Anonymousreply 109March 9, 2019 4:56 PM

I first met Michael at a party/event. It was a Christmas party at the second reinvention of Studio.

It was for a modeling agency called Zoli. I worked for them briefly.

Our connection was first we kind of looked alike and second we both had no idea what to do with ourselves.

He had a crush on my friends who was a pretty big model at the time. Esme Marshall.

There's more, but I've already said too much.

Really nice man, health not so good and is leading the life he always wanted.

by Anonymousreply 110March 9, 2019 4:57 PM

Kudos to him for doing Longtime Companion. Even if he was scrounging for work, taking a role like that in the late 80's was very risky.

by Anonymousreply 111March 9, 2019 5:02 PM

This is how you know looks are more important than money:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 9, 2019 5:04 PM

R110, can you confirm that is him at R22?

by Anonymousreply 113March 9, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]He had a crush on my friends who was a pretty big model at the time

Gee, you mean he didn't make a beeline for the plain girl receptionist?

by Anonymousreply 114March 9, 2019 5:15 PM

yup it's him.

You would probably recognize him in person.

He's gotten skinny and he's shorter than you would expect.

& BTW the person up thread is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 115March 9, 2019 5:21 PM

R114 why are you so obsessed with him picking Molly Ringwald in the movie? He fucked Winona Ryder in Mermaids also and you aren’t bitching lol

by Anonymousreply 116March 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Don't get me started on that one, R116!

by Anonymousreply 117March 9, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote]& BTW the person up thread is spot on.

About what?

by Anonymousreply 118March 9, 2019 5:27 PM

Jake Ryan states he can fuck any girl he wants. He spent his entire HS time fucking hot girls until he started dating Caroline, the most popular girl in school. He’s aware he can have anyone, but he’s interested in Sam cause he feels she can “love” him, something no one else does.

Why is it hard to believe he thinks the homely girl obsessed with him would be better to him than the popular girl that’s only with him for status? They don’t even get along. He hates Caroline lol.

by Anonymousreply 119March 9, 2019 5:28 PM

Because there are hot girls more than willing to "love" him, too. I hardly think that flat-chested thing is the only one and it's not like she was all that deep and loving considering how she treated that poor nerd!

Her "love" is skin deep.

by Anonymousreply 120March 9, 2019 5:31 PM

R120, we get it. Calm down, it was just a movie.

by Anonymousreply 121March 9, 2019 5:35 PM

Nah, R121. This is fun.

by Anonymousreply 122March 9, 2019 5:39 PM

Michael also had a modest role in the movie 'Slaves of New York' which starred Bernadette Peters. The movie was OK - but he was certainly worth watching. He had long hair and wore a leather jacket - way hot and just oozed sex appeal. There is a campy scene where a bunch of drag queens are doing a Supremes song in full drag while walking down the street - really fun!

by Anonymousreply 123March 9, 2019 5:53 PM

I don’t think he lives in Bucks county now... I think he’s way north. He lived at one time in a Philadelphia suburb but the internet tells me he’s,inNE Pennsylvania. No address just a PO Box but it’s in the middle of nowhere...

by Anonymousreply 124March 9, 2019 5:54 PM

R89, I think I already know, but what is the "King of Queens Syndrome"?

by Anonymousreply 125March 9, 2019 5:56 PM

[quote]He's gotten skinny and he's shorter than you would expect.

Listed as 6'0". Standing next to Matthew Modine (who is 6'3"), I'd say that sounds right. Maybe he's shrinking.

by Anonymousreply 126March 9, 2019 5:59 PM

He’s like 6 feet tall. He’s not short.

by Anonymousreply 127March 9, 2019 6:01 PM

I agree he's hot, but that a pretty vapid facial expression at R88.

by Anonymousreply 128March 9, 2019 6:09 PM

R128 he’s sitting in class bored. You should watch the scene before criticizing him.

by Anonymousreply 129March 9, 2019 6:11 PM

What I meant r118 is that whoever the poster is at r94 & r96 has his facts straight.

I haven't seen Mike in 10 years. He may very well have moved.

We reconnected years after NYC when he was doing work at my friends Inn in Bethlehem, P.A.

And I'm 6 feet tall. I'm taller.

by Anonymousreply 130March 9, 2019 6:18 PM

Yes, r130. I knew someone that knew him, but it’s been years since we’ve spoken. I don’t know if they still speak, but I always knew he hated Hollywood, the attention his looks get, and he only went along with the model and actor thing to save up money for his and eventually his families future. He never once intended to stay in Hollywood and always planned on leaving once he was content.

He ended up leaving sooner and going into hiding in a small town so no one can bother him.

I wonder if he resents Jake Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 131March 9, 2019 6:25 PM

r31 I've never seen the film. When I first knew Mike he was a model only.

Again I was 18, fresh off the bus in NYC.

When visiting in PA, my friend ( a woman) said literally "Guess who's in the basement?"

They were building a very fancy conference room.

John Sayer Mansion Inn BTW. Great place.

by Anonymousreply 132March 9, 2019 6:50 PM

R128 here’s the scene you see his “vapid” expression in.

Also the gym scene where you see him in short shorts and he’s hot as all fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 9, 2019 7:39 PM

[quote] I think I already know, but what is the "King of Queens Syndrome"?

I've always heard it referred to as "Male Pattern Optimism" (coined by a TV critic before "King of Queens" existed.) It refers to schlubby male TV characters with much hotter partners. Think Jackie Gleason (Audrey Meadows), Bob Newhart (Suzanne Pleshette and Mary Frann), Mark Addy (Jami Gertz,), Ray Romano (Patty Heaton), Jim Belushi (Courtney Thorne-Smith) etc.

by Anonymousreply 134March 9, 2019 8:02 PM

Ray Romano and Patricia Heaton matched.

And Kevin James and Leah Remini look good together.

by Anonymousreply 135March 9, 2019 8:07 PM

Jake Ryan calls Sams house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 9, 2019 8:19 PM

"He was in the first wide-release theatrical film to deal with the subject of AIDS, Longtime Companion."

What was he, a bit player? Because I don't remember him in that movie at all.

by Anonymousreply 137March 9, 2019 8:21 PM

Thanks, R134.

IMO, Kevin James and Leah Remini were an unrealistic couple, unless the Kevin James character was supposed to be wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 138March 9, 2019 8:35 PM

See it's easier to accept a fat dude who delivers packages or a chinless whiner who can't move more than a block away from his mom with a beautiful woman. Yet Jake falls for a smart and more than above average looking girl is somehow so unrealistic. Now I'm not agreeing Jake would fall for her. He probably wouldn't have even known her name. I'm just commenting on what seems acceptable in entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 139March 9, 2019 8:44 PM

R139 he didn’t know her name until he noticed she’s always looking and staring at him. Thats when he took notice and interest in her.

But before that he never noticed her.

by Anonymousreply 140March 9, 2019 8:49 PM

Can we just acknowledge the perfection that he is without all the debates over who Jake Ryan would go for?

by Anonymousreply 141March 9, 2019 9:09 PM

I don't think anyone in the thread hasn't acknowledged his supreme beauty.

by Anonymousreply 142March 9, 2019 9:10 PM

[quote]without all the debates over who Jake Ryan would go for?

debate?

by Anonymousreply 143March 9, 2019 9:12 PM

He went for Samantha aka Molly Ringwald. Good for him for having a moment of personal growth, even if I don’t think it would last.

I adore the final scene. He can’t act yet manages to be so charming and charismatic without trying. His facial expressions were puppy dog cuteness and it’s just ... hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 9, 2019 9:15 PM

I love how Molly despises Michael and the character of Jake and how he stole the movie. She's been real explicit and bitchy about it in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 145March 9, 2019 9:19 PM

With a Dalmatian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 9, 2019 9:20 PM

I don’t think Molly hated Michael himself but does seem resentful with his casting. She probably feels if someone less authentically beautiful and charming were cast the character wouldn’t have become the main image of the film and the iconic character he has.

Sam isn’t iconic, Jake Ryan is.

by Anonymousreply 147March 9, 2019 9:21 PM

A rare candid of him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 9, 2019 9:23 PM

It must be hard for a famous actress to share scenes with a model whose never acted and he ends up being the “star” of the film all over the world and his image and character iconic in Pop Culture, even though its your film.

by Anonymousreply 149March 9, 2019 9:24 PM

@R110 - Esme Marshall was a beauty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 9, 2019 9:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 9, 2019 9:46 PM

His GQ cover is adorbs.

by Anonymousreply 152March 9, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote] I think I already know, but what is the "King of Queens Syndrome"?

Fat guy and knockout wife, which so many think is only on TV.....but I can't tell you how many times I see this in suburbia.

I think some women have a thing for the big protective teddy bear type. Or like them :fit fat:

by Anonymousreply 153March 9, 2019 10:03 PM

Some people don’t care what you look like if they are attracted to your personality and you make them laugh etc.

Having an amazing personality gets some people very far.

PS I think Kevin James has a nice face.

by Anonymousreply 154March 9, 2019 10:07 PM

[quote] Some people don’t care what you look like if they are attracted to your personality and you make them laugh etc.

IMO, not true for men (in general). Can be true for a minority of women.

by Anonymousreply 155March 9, 2019 10:11 PM

It's pretty rare. Looks have always sought their own level.

by Anonymousreply 156March 9, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote] Some people don’t care what you look like if they are attracted to your personality and you make them laugh etc.

Hi, Pete Davidson! How's Kate Beckinsale?

by Anonymousreply 157March 9, 2019 10:14 PM

It’s rare with men, but many women have fallen for men that aren’t physically attractive but they’re wonderful men, hard working, smart and funny.

by Anonymousreply 158March 9, 2019 10:28 PM

If someone's rich and/or famous, looks do not matter.

by Anonymousreply 159March 9, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]some women have a thing for the big protective teddy bear type. Or like them :fit fat:

and some men, me being one of them.

by Anonymousreply 160March 9, 2019 10:34 PM

What's a'happenin, hot stuff?

by Anonymousreply 161March 9, 2019 10:35 PM

Yes, I know gay men into “chubs” etc. not into the pretty type.

by Anonymousreply 162March 9, 2019 10:37 PM

The way he said hi to her was too cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 9, 2019 10:41 PM

This chick does social media for a lot of reality shows. This is her boyfriend, former Major League Baseball player. He is much better looking than she is. So it happens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 9, 2019 10:42 PM

Another one I thought of Josh Holloway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 9, 2019 10:43 PM

John Cho pulling a Jake Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 9, 2019 10:48 PM

R164 he’s a beauty

by Anonymousreply 167March 9, 2019 10:49 PM

Am I the only one that noticed how in the end of Sixteen Candles, when Sam is walking to Jakes car and she shows her father from far that HE is the boy she told him about that the father is checking out Jake himself? Lmaooo

The dad wanted him some of that too lowkey. The power of Jake Ryan’s beauty lol.

Also, isn’t it weird the father is completely ok with her skipping the reception he paid thousands on? She could have just invited Jake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 9, 2019 10:57 PM

He is R167 and she is not. She's a bow wow. I wondered if maybe he was with her for her social media influence.

R168, I was thinking how could she just blow off her own sister's wedding reception for a guy that will probably be history in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 169March 9, 2019 11:00 PM

Sam's sister was a bitch. I'd have skipped reception Jake Ryan or not.

by Anonymousreply 170March 9, 2019 11:04 PM

Her BF looks kinda like her dad

by Anonymousreply 171March 9, 2019 11:05 PM

So many of you heathen Queens would probably invite Jake Ryan into the CHURCH to give him a quick BJ.

That would probably make him lose interest. His interest in Sam was that she was different.

by Anonymousreply 172March 9, 2019 11:10 PM

Or go and blow out the cake he got for you and then fuck him after your first kiss lmao

by Anonymousreply 173March 9, 2019 11:18 PM

I'd give Jake a BJ in the church parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 174March 9, 2019 11:28 PM

He was Michael in Longtime Companion R137. Hard to miss if you watch the movie, although not one of the major parts

by Anonymousreply 175March 9, 2019 11:40 PM

“Real Men Can’t Hold a Match to Jake Ryan”

An article from Washington Post about the iconic character

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 9, 2019 11:52 PM

That article is pretty mean to anyone in hopes to get a Jake Ryan one day lmao.

“Listen to all the Thompson Twins songs you want, but let's finally admit that Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles" is never coming to get you.

Not in the red Porsche 944, and not wearing that Fair Isle sweater vest. Not with his shiny black hair moussed gently heavenward, not with his gooey brown eyes and square Matt Dillonesque jaw. He will not be standing there with his hands in the pockets of his 501 button-fly jeans (while leaning against said Porsche), and he will not be shyly waving at you from across the street. ("Yeah, you," he mouths, just as in the movie, after you look behind you to see what girl he could possibly be interested in.)

Let's be even more clear: Popular high school seniors don't dump their cheerleader girlfriends with great bods so they can ask out a sophomore girl nobody notices. Jake did not actually do this, because he is not real.“

by Anonymousreply 177March 10, 2019 12:01 AM

I've often wondered why Michael agreed to do Longtime Companion. That was a risky role to take back in 1990.

Maybe he had friends from his modeling days who died of AIDS and he connected to the story. He probably knew by then that he didn't want to act much longer, so he probably didn't care if it hurt him or not.

by Anonymousreply 178March 10, 2019 12:09 AM

In Search of Jake Ryan

HuffPost Article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 10, 2019 12:23 AM

Another impossibility from "Sixteen Candles": that cake. The "most popular boy in school" shows up in his Porsche and 501 jeans and Fair Isle sweater to whisk away the geeky sophomore girl who he has never even had a conversation with, takes her to his parent's luxurious home (apparently at least ONE room wasn't demolished in that party he held there while the parents were conveniently away) and there they seal their love with a kiss in a room romantically lit by sixteen perfect candles decorating a perfect cake. What the living fuck? In addition to all his other perfection (his looks, his sensitivity, his depth, his wealth) he also goes out and buys a cake and candles that provide that final touch of romance for their first evening of love? This movie wasn't a comedy, it was science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 180March 10, 2019 12:26 AM

Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan) was so shy during his audition that he almost lost the role. But the film’s producer Michelle Manning found him so “stunning and dreamy” that they cast him.

Viggo Mortensen was up for the part but it went to “dreamy” model Schoeffling instead. Ringwald recently stated that she wanted Viggo for the role, she found him more attractive than Michael, but she doesn’t get to say. In reality, she’s still bitter that Schoeffling stole the entire movie from her and is the face of a classic despite her being first billed.

by Anonymousreply 181March 10, 2019 12:29 AM

In what world is a rich guy buying a cake and candles science fiction?

I’ve bought cakes for exes.

by Anonymousreply 182March 10, 2019 12:30 AM

But you are poor, hon.

by Anonymousreply 183March 10, 2019 12:34 AM

So a rich guy wouldn’t buy a birthday cake? Come on. You sound ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 184March 10, 2019 12:35 AM

Please. I beg of you. Don't read a Huffpo article about Jake. Huffpo can ruin anything. Don't let them ruin Jake for you.

by Anonymousreply 185March 10, 2019 12:36 AM

R185 I am reading tons of articles, some old, some recent, about Jake Ryan.

I had no idea there were hundreds to thousands of articles about a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. That’s true Icon status. No wonder Ringwald seems so bitter toward the Jake character and it’s actor, Michael Schoeffling.

Here’s another one, this one is bashing Jake Ryan lmao.

“Why Jake Ryan is the worst”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 10, 2019 12:40 AM

I believe Molly's comment was this: "I'm tired of answering questions about Jake Ryan." I'm pretty sure that was exactly it.

by Anonymousreply 187March 10, 2019 12:43 AM

My niece wore one in the early 2000s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 10, 2019 12:43 AM

I'd go for the more artistic print

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 10, 2019 12:47 AM

R189 I like that one actually!

by Anonymousreply 190March 10, 2019 12:51 AM

“How Jake Ryan Ruined My (And Every Other Heteronormative White Woman’s) Life”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 10, 2019 12:52 AM

Fish can ruin anything.

by Anonymousreply 192March 10, 2019 12:56 AM

“Looking for Jake Ryan”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 10, 2019 1:06 AM

Why is this character that impactful to garner this many thinkpieces. He was cute and seemed dumb like Matt Dillon. I didn't think people saw that much weight behind this nothing character.

by Anonymousreply 194March 10, 2019 1:08 AM

HI MOLLY!

by Anonymousreply 195March 10, 2019 1:09 AM

Out of all male love interests in films, he’s one of the most important in his impact on people. Why? Like one person said in one of the articles I read, who they cast plays a big role in why he became so important, he’s the perfect aesthetic. Physically, he’s perfect. Add his charm and cuteness, and his wanting love and sensitivity, he was ideal to most women and teen girls that saw (and still see it to this day). The character has a gay following also, again, a lot due to who was cast as him.

“Jake Ryan” is used as a term in the dating world. He’s what many women hold as a standard to live up to when dating. Even actresses have spoken about him, like Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Recently Amy Schumer declared she found her “Jake Ryan”.

He’s a character that will never die.

by Anonymousreply 196March 10, 2019 1:14 AM

Do young people even know this movie or care about it?

by Anonymousreply 197March 10, 2019 1:18 AM

R197 it gets played a lot and I’ve seen young people buying it, so yes. Many do. I know my sisters, 28 and 21, have seen it.

It’s also on Netflix now, added recently, so more young people will discover it.

by Anonymousreply 198March 10, 2019 1:20 AM

My 14 year old and her friends know Jake. They can recite every line and lyric in Grease too.

by Anonymousreply 199March 10, 2019 1:22 AM

Yeah, Grease is another one that gets a lot of TV play and Netflix etc. that young people know about.

Some classics never die.

And it seems Jake Ryan is more cared about than the film Sixteen Candles as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 200March 10, 2019 1:24 AM

My young nieces all do and I was in a class full of 20-somethings and all but one knew the movie. The one that didn't know it got ridiculed. It's an iconic film and role.

by Anonymousreply 201March 10, 2019 1:26 AM

PS the article at R193 is a gay mans journey to finding his Jake Ryan, and how he discovered he was gay, at 10, while watching Sixteen Candles. Jake Ryan was his sexual awakening.

He didn’t come to terms with his sexuality until 18 though.

by Anonymousreply 202March 10, 2019 1:28 AM

"In what world is a rich guy buying a cake and candles science fiction?"

You think teenage boys normally do that? Not on this earth.

by Anonymousreply 203March 10, 2019 1:28 AM

R203 normally? Maybe not. But I’m sure some have. Not everyone’s the same.

by Anonymousreply 204March 10, 2019 1:39 AM

“In Praise of Jake Ryan”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 10, 2019 1:45 AM

"Jake Ryan" is a rainbow-pooping unicorn in the same mold as the Jamie Frasier character in the Outlander series. Does not exist in real life.

by Anonymousreply 206March 10, 2019 2:04 AM

Jake Ryan CAN exist.

by Anonymousreply 207March 10, 2019 2:10 AM

Blane McDonough or Jake Ryan?

Steff McKee?

by Anonymousreply 208March 10, 2019 2:14 AM

He was truly a beautiful man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 10, 2019 2:15 AM

Spader in a Jake thread? Get lost.

by Anonymousreply 210March 10, 2019 2:16 AM

Which one of you Jake Queens made this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 10, 2019 2:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 10, 2019 2:17 AM

Schoeffling was so much better looking than Andrew McCarthey and James Spader.

They can’t hold a candle to him.

by Anonymousreply 213March 10, 2019 2:22 AM

Andrew is the biggest ugly that ever had a career. Michael was even a better actor than he was. How did Andrew have a career? He was horrible in every way. He was the Shelley Hack of teen movies.

by Anonymousreply 214March 10, 2019 2:23 AM

I've actually had my photo taken in front of Molly Ringwald's house from the movie. I think that makes me special, don't you?

The house is located in the Chicago suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 215March 10, 2019 2:23 AM

Time to cleanse the palate after those ugly intrusions into a Jake thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 10, 2019 2:25 AM

"But I’m sure some have. Not everyone’s the same."

Really? You're "sure" there are teenage boys who run out to a confectionary to buy a perfect cake with perfect candles for their beloved? I'll bet you're "sure" that Jake Ryan actually exists somewhere, too. Oh well, dream on, if it makes you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 217March 10, 2019 2:27 AM

Why the fuck would people post photos of uglies in a Jake Ryan Thread?

Only showing us how superior his looks were to other Hughes leading men.

R215 most of his films were set in Chicago suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 218March 10, 2019 2:27 AM

What movie was this? Him shirtless in bed? A must watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 10, 2019 2:35 AM

James Spader was good looking, but he never did anything for me.

Andrew McCarthy was a big no.

But Michael could get it anytime, anywhere, in any weather, on any surface, even with a stupid mohawk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 10, 2019 2:40 AM

I was just about to say that Michael even looked hot with a stupid Mohawk.

Some men look beautiful no matter what.

He’s one of those people you could put the ugliest shirt on and he would somehow make it look better.

by Anonymousreply 221March 10, 2019 2:43 AM

Michael isn't all that, bitches.

That haircut from Sixteen Candles is rather unfortunate

by Anonymousreply 222March 10, 2019 2:43 AM

His haircut from Sixteen Candles was of that era while not as extreme. A lot of guys had crazy hair in the 80s. He kept it neat and simple.

He’s all that plus some.

by Anonymousreply 223March 10, 2019 2:45 AM

Neiman Marcus ad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 10, 2019 2:48 AM

I would eat his ass until I got to his small intestines.

by Anonymousreply 225March 10, 2019 2:49 AM

His Calvin Klein ad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 10, 2019 2:53 AM

More modeling pics:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 10, 2019 2:53 AM

His face is just so perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 10, 2019 2:53 AM

Honestly I think I would get a boner if I would have ever seen him in person. Like instant stand up boner.

by Anonymousreply 229March 10, 2019 3:05 AM

I'm gonna disagree that Michael "stole" the movie. When people think Sixteen Candles they think Molly Ringwald, though i will say having watched the movie a couple months ago that her acting wasn't that great but she has the excuse of a lack of maturity considering her age.

by Anonymousreply 230March 10, 2019 3:50 AM

HEY MRS. RINGWALD.

by Anonymousreply 231March 10, 2019 3:51 AM

His image never dies. Ringwald’s name attached is why you think of her.

by Anonymousreply 232March 10, 2019 8:56 AM

Part of why his image won’t ever die is because he left the scene while young.

So while he may have not died, all images of him are from when he was young and beautiful. That’s an eternal image.

by Anonymousreply 233March 10, 2019 9:51 AM

Newsflash: Sixteen Candles was not a documentary. It's possible that a17 or 18 year old boy would buy a birthday cake for his love interest, but not probable. It's possible that the cute, popular boy would be interested in the 16 year old wallflower, but not probable. Is this really a debate? And the articles about "Jake Ryan ruined my romantic life!"... get a fucking grip.

by Anonymousreply 234March 10, 2019 10:25 AM

Lmaoooo there are so many articles about how Jake Ryan ruined their life or Made them lose hope in love etc.

It’s hysterical

by Anonymousreply 235March 10, 2019 11:12 AM

Is literally sell my soul to have a replica of him to be mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 10, 2019 12:48 PM

he's old

he's fat

he's flatulent

by Anonymousreply 237March 10, 2019 2:17 PM

He’s old.

Not the other two.

by Anonymousreply 238March 10, 2019 2:42 PM

Well, a little web sleuthing has revealed he has a furniture store and a really lovely house in the Poconos. Actually the house is really dreamy, if you’re into wooden beams and the rustic look.

by Anonymousreply 239March 10, 2019 2:58 PM

R239 the wooden and rustic look is actually very nice.

by Anonymousreply 240March 10, 2019 3:13 PM

God now I’m gonna watch the movie again. So good.

by Anonymousreply 241March 10, 2019 6:05 PM

Do you think he has a hairy ass? His legs aren’t very hairy.

by Anonymousreply 242March 10, 2019 8:44 PM

I don't remember Michael Schoeffling in "Longtime Companion" at all. His acting must have been really mediocre. But I DO remember Bruce Davison, Campbell Scott, Stephen Caffrey, Mark Lamos, and Dermot Mulroney. Especially Bruce Davison; the scene where he's telling his suffering and dying lover to "let go" is unforgettable. He should have won an Oscar. And the scene where Dermot Mulroney is alone in a hospital room, hooked up to a machine and looking terrified. And of course the ending. The ending still gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 243March 10, 2019 9:34 PM

I need to watch this Longtime Companion movie

by Anonymousreply 244March 10, 2019 9:38 PM

R243, it was just a small part. He plays one of Sean's visitors in the hospital who is all about vitamins and homeopathic remedies. He's kind, but so naive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 10, 2019 9:58 PM

Omg he looks so beautiful R245

by Anonymousreply 246March 10, 2019 10:09 PM

O

L

D

by Anonymousreply 247March 10, 2019 11:50 PM

To the poster who mentioned that Michael was in ill health, can you elaborate? I hope he is ok.

by Anonymousreply 248March 10, 2019 11:55 PM

I hope he’s ok too.

Wonder what’s wrong with him.

by Anonymousreply 249March 11, 2019 12:16 AM

It’s a shame he wasn’t utilized more as a model. I would have him half naked at all times.

by Anonymousreply 250March 11, 2019 2:55 AM

So did we decide if r22 is Michael? Where does he live, what does he do?

by Anonymousreply 251March 11, 2019 3:34 AM

I snooped around a little. I think I know his address as well as where he works. But I don’t want to post if everyone thinks it’s not right. The info is out there, you just need where to look.

Or I can tell you the websites and process and someone else can follow the same process.

by Anonymousreply 252March 11, 2019 3:52 AM

He's probably a very hot daddy nowadays

by Anonymousreply 253March 11, 2019 3:53 AM

R251, it was confirmed it was him. It looks just like him in an older version of course.

by Anonymousreply 254March 11, 2019 3:54 AM

There were links to his business in a Michael Schoeffling thread last year. Some furniture company called Modern Day. The link is dead. In the old thread someone linked to Schoeffling's daughter IG and there were people begging her to post a new picture of him. He should keep up the mystery like how Bettie Page didn't want to be seen in her latter years as to not ruin the memory of how she once looked.

by Anonymousreply 255March 11, 2019 3:56 AM

No his furniture company I think is Blueberry Hill Furniture. (Actually not sure about that.) it’s on Facebook. He lives in Cresco PA on Monomonock rd. A Zillow search will turn up his house that he recenty bought. The info wasn’t hard to find btw.

by Anonymousreply 256March 11, 2019 4:04 AM

Does he have a passion for furniture?

by Anonymousreply 257March 11, 2019 4:07 AM

The daughter kinda seems insufferable. I remember looking at her page periodically to see if she would post a recent picture of him. Ironically enough, she had a long term boyfriend that was a model and also does carpentry. I think he makes the furniture in a studio in Brooklyn. Seems like they're broken up now.

by Anonymousreply 258March 11, 2019 4:15 AM

the daughter's eyebrows are so strange

by Anonymousreply 259March 11, 2019 4:24 AM

He does have a passion for furniture

by Anonymousreply 260March 11, 2019 9:09 AM

If he sat on the furniture and made a couple Jake farts before he sold it he'd make a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 261March 11, 2019 9:50 AM

What would Jake Ryan be doing right now?

by Anonymousreply 262March 11, 2019 10:19 AM

Having sex with me.

by Anonymousreply 263March 11, 2019 10:24 AM

I would suck him off like no other

by Anonymousreply 264March 11, 2019 11:42 AM

I'm so sick of people misusing the term "went."

by Anonymousreply 265March 11, 2019 12:06 PM

R265 get over yourself

by Anonymousreply 266March 11, 2019 12:08 PM

What’s his ethnicity?

by Anonymousreply 267March 11, 2019 4:52 PM

German and English if I recall.

His health stuff is heart related and it goes way back.

And shame on the cunt who posted his whereabouts.

by Anonymousreply 268March 11, 2019 6:35 PM

Really? He has heart issues? Poor thing

by Anonymousreply 269March 11, 2019 6:42 PM

Jake Ryan would have gone into porn

by Anonymousreply 270March 11, 2019 7:39 PM

No. He wouldn’t.

He was from a rich family. He wouldn’t even have to do good in school, he would still get into any Ivy League school of his choice and had a career despite bad grades.

by Anonymousreply 271March 11, 2019 8:09 PM

He probably went to Princeton (his father's alma mater) or perhaps Northwestern if his grades and boards were really poor. After Wharton he glided into a cushy job pushing papers around a desk, aka finance.

by Anonymousreply 272March 11, 2019 8:10 PM

R272 and making tons of money on top of his trust fund.

by Anonymousreply 273March 11, 2019 8:12 PM

I feel he would have went to law school. Became a lawyer or something to that extent, and been a top attorney despite never caring or having good grades cause mommy and daddy made sure he passed without passing

by Anonymousreply 274March 11, 2019 8:15 PM

He was striking! Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275March 11, 2019 8:42 PM

Wait... I’m a cunt for posting Michael’s whereabouts, but you’re not for posting the serious medical condition he has, r268? Btw, his whereabouts aren’t a secret, it took me less than two minutes to find it, with no access to any unique sites.

by Anonymousreply 276March 11, 2019 8:55 PM

Whose gonna go visit his store and say hi and take pics for us?

by Anonymousreply 277March 11, 2019 9:00 PM

You first, R266.

by Anonymousreply 278March 11, 2019 10:12 PM

I wish there was a way to upload videos on here without needing YouTube etc.

by Anonymousreply 279March 11, 2019 11:05 PM

No wonder Jake ended up going for Sam. His blonde cheerleader girlfriend was such a bitch to him and only cared about status and his looks.

PS I can watch him all day. Look at that face. Beautiful. And all natural.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 11, 2019 11:12 PM

R276, you're not a cunt. Maybe a semi-cunt.

by Anonymousreply 281March 11, 2019 11:16 PM

"No wonder Jake ended up going for Sam. "

She's geeky looking, a sophomore and they've never even exchanged any words with each other. But despite all that he decides she's the girl for him? It's pure movie fantasy. It would never happen in real life.

by Anonymousreply 282March 11, 2019 11:18 PM

R282 it could if you had to put up with your hot bitchy girlfriend everyday using you for your status and looks and wealth.

by Anonymousreply 283March 11, 2019 11:30 PM

r283 95% of hot straight guys don't think this way, they're just as much involved in their status relationship as the woman

by Anonymousreply 284March 11, 2019 11:33 PM

A man that comes from a background like Jakes ending up with a middle class like Sam isn’t unrealistic.

I female like Caroline on the other hand would never settle for a middle class guy.

by Anonymousreply 285March 11, 2019 11:35 PM

R285, English translation please.

by Anonymousreply 286March 11, 2019 11:37 PM

Sam was not middle class. Did you see their house?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287March 11, 2019 11:38 PM

R287 that’s nothing compared to Jakes ...

by Anonymousreply 288March 11, 2019 11:39 PM

swoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 11, 2019 11:41 PM

r287 Looks like the home alone house.

by Anonymousreply 290March 11, 2019 11:43 PM

R289 the lip bite is in the clip at r280 ... at the end.

I love his reaction when his bitchy girlfriend grabs his face and asks him if he’s cheating. I love how he delivered his lines. Charming.

by Anonymousreply 291March 11, 2019 11:43 PM

Middle class for Evanston, IL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292March 11, 2019 11:45 PM

Yeah. She was a lower class than Jake and his GF.

by Anonymousreply 293March 11, 2019 11:47 PM

I wish Jake left Caroline for a hot guy.

by Anonymousreply 294March 11, 2019 11:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 11, 2019 11:58 PM

I wonder if Mike knows he has a huge following amongst the homosexualists.

by Anonymousreply 296March 11, 2019 11:58 PM

R296 I’m almost certain there is no way he couldn’t have at least known back in the 80s and 90s.

God knows, the power ups tried getting him, he wouldn’t budge. He would have gotten better roles if he put out but he isn’t that person.

I respect him.

He also has zero issues with gays. He just isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 297March 12, 2019 12:04 AM

The biggest reason his modeling career fizzled was he was being pestered by creepy old guys like my boss Pepo Vennini and that pig Bruce Weber. He wasn't interested.

Michael Bergen caved and did well for a while. So did Thom Flemming. Best looking of the bunch. Nice but dumb.

Funny, Thom does furniture and cabinetry but on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 298March 12, 2019 12:09 AM

Michael Bergins modeling career was about a decade after Michael Schoeffling.

But yes, Bergin used his body to get ahead, Schoeffling didn’t.

Schoeffling should be proud, he never even thought of modeling or acting. That shit found him! That’s how you know you’re gorgeous, and even with that he was always humble and grounded.

by Anonymousreply 299March 12, 2019 12:12 AM

Yeah I kind of cringed for him when I found out he had to deal with Bruce Weber. EEK

by Anonymousreply 300March 12, 2019 12:14 AM

Those old dudes wanted to devour Schoeffling. They all wanted a go at that.

by Anonymousreply 301March 12, 2019 12:16 AM

He timed his Hollywood days perfectly.

He got a few good gigs when there was more demand for the Matt Dillon type than Matt Dillon could do or want to do. He got out of Hollywood when there wasn't enough demand for the Matt Dillon type for even Matt Dillon.

by Anonymousreply 302March 12, 2019 12:27 AM

He’s a lot smarter than most give him credit for.

Walking away young and beautiful and staying off the internet, not allowing images of him posted etc. his image of young and beautiful is eternal, and he didn’t have to die young to gain that like James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 303March 12, 2019 12:28 AM

Him and Matt Dillon could pass for brothers.

KJ Apa could pass for his son.

by Anonymousreply 304March 12, 2019 12:29 AM

Michael and Thom Flemming were contemporaries. As were Michael Ives, Tod Erving and that creepy one who ended up marrying Christie Brinkley.

Michael Bergen came later but the same creeps were still there. I was in L.A. by then.

by Anonymousreply 305March 12, 2019 12:46 AM

he reminds me a little of the gay one on Reba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 12, 2019 12:47 AM

"it could if you had to put up with your hot bitchy girlfriend everyday using you for your status and looks and wealth."

No, it's a movie fantasy. In real life the "Jake Ryan" would just move on to another hot girlfriend, instead of going after a geeky little girl he'd never even spoken to once.

by Anonymousreply 307March 12, 2019 12:48 AM

R307 he didn’t just want a hot chick to fuck anymore. He wanted love.

by Anonymousreply 308March 12, 2019 12:52 AM

Teenage boys and love. Ok are you 12.

by Anonymousreply 309March 12, 2019 12:54 AM

Some teenage guys LOVE. Not all teenage guys are the same.

Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 310March 12, 2019 1:00 AM

Teenage boys want SEX, not love. People that age don't even know what love is.

by Anonymousreply 311March 12, 2019 1:39 AM

Some. Want. To. Feel. Loved.

by Anonymousreply 312March 12, 2019 1:53 AM

"Some. Want. To. Feel. Loved."

If there are some teenage boys who just "Want.To.Feel.Loved" they must be scarce as hen's teeth. Most teenage boys just want to get ahold of some nookie with a hot babe.

by Anonymousreply 313March 12, 2019 2:20 AM

R313 loves to generalize

by Anonymousreply 314March 12, 2019 2:24 AM

Michael Schoeffling and Mike Branson got married and are living off the grid in a log cabin in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 315March 12, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote]I feel he would have went to law school.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 316March 12, 2019 2:36 AM

R316 what do you think he would be doing? Guys like him are always super successful without having to work for it.

by Anonymousreply 317March 12, 2019 2:41 AM

I could see him being a lawyer. I knew a guy similar to him and that's exactly what he became.

I saw pictures of his son. He looks more like Sean Penn's son than Michael Schoeffling's. Jake Ryan has a 30 year old son.

by Anonymousreply 318March 12, 2019 2:51 AM

I thought the guy on Reba was straight and married.

by Anonymousreply 319March 12, 2019 2:52 AM

The guy on Reba looks nothing like Schoeffling

by Anonymousreply 320March 12, 2019 3:03 AM

Hot hot hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321March 18, 2019 1:21 AM

His daughter looka like a man.

by Anonymousreply 322March 18, 2019 1:32 AM

the daughter is hideous, she looks like a man

by Anonymousreply 323March 18, 2019 2:25 AM

r317 apparently doesn't understand that the purpose of an "oh, dear" comment is to point out someone's atrocious grammar or spelling faux pas.

by Anonymousreply 324March 18, 2019 4:46 AM

He’s a beauty. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 325May 4, 2019 10:57 PM

BUMP cause I wanna discuss his hotness more

by Anonymousreply 326June 12, 2019 2:18 AM

Are you watching SC on Sundance, R326?

by Anonymousreply 327June 12, 2019 2:21 AM

Yes r327... I watch it whenever I run into it lol

by Anonymousreply 328June 12, 2019 2:22 AM

The daughter looks fine at R321. Doesn’t look like a man.

by Anonymousreply 329June 12, 2019 2:26 AM

He's almost 60 now. He looks like a fried hippie in that photo upthread.

by Anonymousreply 330June 12, 2019 2:31 AM

It’s so sad he got old. Didn’t think it would happen to him.

by Anonymousreply 331June 12, 2019 2:33 AM

r331 because he left the business while still young and gorgeous and took himself off the map for good. The only image we had was of him young and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 332June 12, 2019 2:35 AM

His daughter posted this on Instagram

by Anonymousreply 333June 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Scarlett Schoeffling, his daughter, posted rare pics of him with her when she was a baby and little...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334June 17, 2019 1:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 17, 2019 1:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336June 17, 2019 1:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337June 17, 2019 1:04 AM

So, his wife is black?

by Anonymousreply 338June 17, 2019 2:34 AM

R338 his wife is Indian. Stupid.

The world is not just white or black 🙄

by Anonymousreply 339June 17, 2019 2:53 AM

It was just a harmless question, R339, you triggered cunt.

by Anonymousreply 340June 17, 2019 3:00 AM

How is his wife Indian? Her name is Valerie Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 341June 17, 2019 2:57 PM

Many families of the past would change their last names to white ones to fit in more.

by Anonymousreply 342June 17, 2019 3:00 PM

Did you see him in Mermaids? My G-d! He's like a movie monster that looks like a hunk. It's no wonder he didn't get more work.

by Anonymousreply 343June 17, 2019 4:06 PM

He’s gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 344June 17, 2019 6:40 PM

R342 stop making shit up. Indians are recent immigrants to this country, and don’t normally change their names.

by Anonymousreply 345June 18, 2019 12:53 AM

Just cause they don’t “normally” change their names doesn’t mean she didn’t when she got into acting and modeling. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 346June 18, 2019 7:59 AM

I don't find the daughter appealing.

by Anonymousreply 347June 18, 2019 10:28 AM

R346, this was in the 80s. The woman is Irish and Italian, you doofus.

by Anonymousreply 348June 18, 2019 8:54 PM

Wow! [R334] Those snaps you took from her daughter are gold! How can I see them on Instagram?

by Anonymousreply 349July 3, 2019 10:15 AM

R349 they expired weeks ago. R348 no she isn’t. Even online it says she’s a “gypsy”

by Anonymousreply 350July 3, 2019 10:57 AM

if you have a look at the Mum (wife of mike), I don’t really think the daughter looks like any of them! What do you think? Is she their biological kid?

by Anonymousreply 351July 3, 2019 12:43 PM

R351 I see both parents in her. She has his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 352July 3, 2019 12:52 PM

anymore fresh photos of Schoeffling??

by Anonymousreply 353July 3, 2019 3:19 PM

I’m pretty sure you know the answer to that r353

by Anonymousreply 354July 3, 2019 3:23 PM

I never saw the appeal of this man. He always seemed more of a clod than a hunk.

by Anonymousreply 355July 4, 2019 1:35 AM

He’s striking.

by Anonymousreply 356July 4, 2019 6:37 AM

R354 I meant any pics of him that are not heavily circulated on internet yet. Do not have to be pictures of him now.... for example those photos of him and his daughter after retirement are new.... like to see more of these rare ones... pre or post retirement.

by Anonymousreply 357July 4, 2019 10:36 AM

Judging by those pics of his daughter above, I think he definitely married a woman of color (be she black, Indian, or whichever). Would like to see what they both look like now.

by Anonymousreply 358July 4, 2019 1:05 PM

R358 no... the wife is not colored. She is a white. Search for valerie c Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 359July 4, 2019 5:42 PM

She’s not white.

by Anonymousreply 360July 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Also, don’t refer to PEOPLE OF COLOR as “coloreds”. The latter is a racial term used by racists.

by Anonymousreply 361July 4, 2019 5:48 PM

Perhaps the woman he married and the mother of his daughter are two different people? I'm just saying that the daughter looks mixed-race in those pictures and not the product of two white parents.

by Anonymousreply 362July 5, 2019 1:12 AM

Because the wife ISNT WHITE

by Anonymousreply 363July 5, 2019 1:19 AM

JUst caught him on Slaves of New York..... he was sporting long hair. Too beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 364July 5, 2019 7:23 AM

So.... what is she?

by Anonymousreply 365July 5, 2019 9:54 AM

Does the world not know that black and white aren’t the only two races out there?

by Anonymousreply 366July 5, 2019 9:58 AM

Caught Slaves of New York.... he was sporting long hair.... so beautiful! Need more pictures of that!

by Anonymousreply 367July 5, 2019 10:07 AM

I agree with the verdict of GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 368July 5, 2019 10:55 AM

R366, when did anyone in this thread say otherwise? We're just saying either the wife or mother of his daughter isn't/wasn't white. No one has said that means she had to be black.

by Anonymousreply 369July 5, 2019 1:07 PM

R366 thank you

by Anonymousreply 370July 5, 2019 3:22 PM

R369 thank you

by Anonymousreply 371July 5, 2019 5:23 PM

His wife is certainly not white. Look at his daughter. There is something else in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 372July 20, 2019 1:59 PM

We may be a year or so too late but I’d like to see a continuation 50 candles.

by Anonymousreply 373September 16, 2019 8:22 PM

He was so hot in Mermaids.

by Anonymousreply 374September 16, 2019 8:25 PM

He was strikingly gorgeous, and naturally hot. Also very charming and charismatic in a natural way. He was a 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375December 1, 2019 10:50 PM

"50 Candles"? Ugh. That's so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 376December 2, 2019 3:07 PM

He looks so average now. He'd look better with short hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377December 2, 2019 3:13 PM

They are giving Sixteen Candles right now on VH1, and damn. He was truly spectacular to look at. What a beautiful young man.

by Anonymousreply 378November 26, 2020 1:23 PM

He seems very down-to-earth and knew he wasn't the greatest actor, so he retired with dignity and pursued his passion. He also was educated (had a bachelor's degree) already when he became a model, so that probably helped. Weber introduced some mega hotties in the 80s like Schoeffling, Sasha Mitchell and Rodney Harvey

by Anonymousreply 379July 11, 2021 12:39 PM

I do see the resemblance to Matt Dillon but Matt had that sexy wise guy attitude and would fuck you silly.

by Anonymousreply 380July 11, 2021 10:49 PM

I had no idea who Rodney Harvey was and looked him up. Yikes. What a sad story.

by Anonymousreply 381July 11, 2021 10:57 PM

Rodney Harvey's beauty was perfectly captured in the two Paul Morrissey films, Mixed Blood and Spike of Bensonhurst (also starring Sasha Mitchell) and also in My Own Private Idaho. He even played Rob Lowe's character Soda Pop in The Outsider TV show. It's more than a bit fucked up that they used Harvey's autopsy photos for anti-drug commercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382July 11, 2021 11:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383July 12, 2021 5:16 AM

I used to be obsessed with him

by Anonymousreply 384July 19, 2021 1:53 AM

He played a completely different type of role in Vision Quest as the tough yet sensitive Kuch. It's a very homoerotic film that even has DL icons like Madonna and Linda Fiorentino.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385July 19, 2021 2:01 AM

It’s about wrestling r385

by Anonymousreply 386July 19, 2021 2:05 AM

Meh. He was never all that.

by Anonymousreply 387July 19, 2021 2:08 AM

Apart from all the shirtless scenes, the wrestling scenes and Madonna's singing. Vision Quest has a scene with Louden (Matthew Modine) working his bellboy job. He is interested in a hotel guest who is practicing martial arts and asks to come in and have the guest teach him the moves. The guest turns out to be gay and thinks Louden was trying to initiate something. They practice the moves and the guest grabs his crotch. Louden is shocked, he just walks away and brushes it off. He wasn't disgusted or entered a violent panic. He just wasn't interested and he understood he may have led the guy on. Kuch (Schoeffling) seems to have a bit of a crush on Louden and they ride together a lot on a motorcycle. The idea of Schoeffling and Modine getting it on is very hot as both were sexy.

by Anonymousreply 388July 19, 2021 2:27 AM

Wow, his daughter is still trying to make it in modeling?

by Anonymousreply 389July 19, 2021 2:45 AM

r389 yes. She is always back and forth between LA and NYC

by Anonymousreply 390July 19, 2021 2:50 AM

Should have had Rob Lowe's role in Youngblood so he could show his ass in a jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 391July 19, 2021 3:24 AM

Darren Kagasoff sorta favors him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392June 13, 2022 1:29 AM

It takes true talent to portray a date rapist. Nasty little underbelly to that film.

by Anonymousreply 393June 13, 2022 1:34 AM

You just know Jake was gonna bang Sam and then dump her after graduation.

by Anonymousreply 394June 13, 2022 1:40 AM

Irish American good looks? Stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395June 13, 2022 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!