Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We live in a culture of extreme narcissism, covert and overt - fucks these days cannot compromise, share, or care enough...

...to look up from their phone and give a fuck about another person. We are a society of selfish, ignorant fucks destined to die alone. When did it become like this? Is it our parents fault?

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2019 3:24 AM

Chill. ™

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2019 6:01 AM

ancestral doomsday happenings

never healed =

generational insanity

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2019 6:40 AM

No, but it's your fault that you don't know how to use a possessive apostrophe.

parents' - a plural possessive.

by Anonymousreply 3March 7, 2019 7:23 AM

Blaming your parents is lame. Put away your phones. Take on some personal responsibility for dealing with the situation. I guess you could say the technology comes from your parents generation and before. But how central to the culture it has become is not because of them. There is a choice as to how it is used, how pervasive it is. You are entirely right about the narcissism and lessening of empathy so best start working against it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 7, 2019 7:24 AM

I like to intentional bump into walkxters. It's God's work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2019 7:27 AM

The fault lies not in the stars, but in ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2019 7:30 AM

Tech nerds lacking in social skills created the anti-social media.

by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2019 7:32 AM

We all die alone.

by Anonymousreply 8March 7, 2019 7:35 AM

[quote]Grammar will outlive us all!

I hope you're right.

by Anonymousreply 9March 7, 2019 9:08 AM

[quote]I hope you're right.

So would my parents' parents (especially my mother's mother).

by Anonymousreply 10March 7, 2019 9:09 AM

You're fat and ugly, OP. That's why nobody pays attention to you.

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2019 9:10 AM

Millennials have taken narcissism to the nth degree. The gay ones especially. Theirs is a version of Keeping up with the Joneses, except instead of material goods, the competition is measured by sculpted muscles, Instagrammable photos and notching as many sexual partners as possible.

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2019 9:24 AM

Gay narcissism existed long before millennials, r12.

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2019 9:42 AM

[quote]notching as many sexual partners as possible.

No, we gays never did this in the 1970s. Never.

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2019 9:44 AM

OP, can you be more specific about what you hoped someone would just give you?

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2019 9:46 AM

Kids eventually become just like their parents, R14, which is why I'm not surprised to see Millennials behaving just like their parents circa late 70s, early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2019 9:50 AM

Most gays are not parents, r16. At least, not gays who were having sex in the '70s and are still alive to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2019 9:56 AM

Yes r17, but the point is that millennial narcissism isn't really all that different from boomer narcissism. In fact, it's eerily similar.

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2019 10:02 AM

I enjoyed that thanks R5!

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2019 10:02 AM

R5's clip includes 'Trey' from Corbin Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2019 10:04 AM

Of course not, r18. Narcissism is narcissism. It's going to be "similar" regardless of one's age. Why do you queens parse EVERYTHING by generations? As if there's no such thing as a Gen-X narcissist. Or one from my mother's generation (I'm a boomer).

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2019 10:08 AM

It's all gonna work out......

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2019 10:18 AM

R21 lol only an extreme narcissist would think their narcissism is better than other's.

by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2019 10:24 AM

Thank you R21

by Anonymousreply 24March 7, 2019 10:26 AM

There's more to it than just youthful narcissism, R21, but whatever, I won't go further into it.

by Anonymousreply 25March 7, 2019 10:39 AM

Couldn't agree more. I'm a millennial and I've never used facebook, Instagram, any of that garbage. I would feel so embarrassed posting about how I'm so important and thoughtful and caring like all the other kids in HS did, yet acted like complete fuckheads! Something that REALLY bothers me about today though, when I hold the door for someone about 50% of the time I hear no "thank you".

by Anonymousreply 26March 7, 2019 10:46 AM

I keep hearing about this supposed similarity between baby boomer and millennials, R16. I'm curious to hear what you think that is?

by Anonymousreply 27March 7, 2019 10:48 AM

"Millennials have taken narcissism to the nth degree. The gay ones especially. "

Because gay people are always worse, right homophobic dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 28March 7, 2019 10:50 AM

I agree that narcissism is nothing new, but what is new is that we now have the technological means (i.e. smart phones) that can enable and amplify that narcissism like never before.

by Anonymousreply 29March 7, 2019 10:52 AM

R27:

Knowing they are young and hot and prizing youth and sex above all else. Devil may care hedonism. Promiscuity. Will not listen to the older generations before them. Think they know it all. Overshadowing the generations before and after them.

by Anonymousreply 30March 7, 2019 11:01 AM

Yes, r30. Only two generations have ever been like that.

Do you use that brain for thinking? Really?

by Anonymousreply 31March 7, 2019 11:03 AM

A youthquake movement. Idealism. Indulgence. Pushiness. The 2020s will be for millennials what the 80s were for Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 32March 7, 2019 11:10 AM

The '60s and '70s were for boomers what r32 thinks the '80s were for boomers.

by Anonymousreply 33March 7, 2019 11:11 AM

Keep yourself triggered, OP.

by Anonymousreply 34March 7, 2019 11:16 AM

The oldest Millennials are now where Boomers were at circa The Big Chill, so not quite, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35March 7, 2019 11:21 AM

Grammar will outlive us all!

nah my grammar died ages ago

by Anonymousreply 36March 7, 2019 11:27 AM

Narcissism is a young man's game.

by Anonymousreply 37March 7, 2019 11:29 AM

No hope for the future: Climate Change, Trump, Rednecks. We'll all be dead in like 20 years so who cares.-Millennials

by Anonymousreply 38March 7, 2019 11:39 AM

I call bullshit on R38.

Millennials are a lot of things but we're not pessimistic defeatists.

by Anonymousreply 39March 7, 2019 11:44 AM

Really tired of the simpleminded "it's the smartphones" comments around here.

You sound like the olds from the 1980s who were sure all kids were growing up to be sociopaths because of video games.

by Anonymousreply 40March 7, 2019 11:47 AM

R12 needs to learn more about the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 41March 7, 2019 11:49 AM

Even in the face of total collapse, we're closer to [italic] Pollyanna-esque [/italic] optimists. We need something to hold onto.

by Anonymousreply 42March 7, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]You sound like the olds from the 1980s who were sure all kids were growing up to be sociopaths because of video games.

The only video game addict I ever knew (b. 1977) did go on to take permanent disability because of depression, and one of the stated contributing factors was video game addiction.

by Anonymousreply 43March 7, 2019 11:52 AM

Thanks, Obama

by Anonymousreply 44March 7, 2019 11:53 AM

OBAMA, r44?

by Anonymousreply 45March 7, 2019 11:54 AM

,aae z,,z,,,,,,,,,,, ,,z,,s z x,s XS WZ can ,S,z

by Anonymousreply 46March 7, 2019 12:05 PM

Yes, R13. Lots of fundamentalist groups studied and “proved” “gay narcissism” back in 50s and 60s. Narcissism may be one of the many “causes” of homosexuality they believed. Lots of gay men from that time project that homophobia onto gays today.

Are you from that era?

by Anonymousreply 47March 7, 2019 12:15 PM

millennials are like early 80s boomers.

by Anonymousreply 48March 7, 2019 12:17 PM

You're 10 years off, R48. More like 70s.

by Anonymousreply 49March 7, 2019 12:20 PM

Don't blame the gay millenials as the majority of this problem. Certainly, they are a major part of the problem, but in New York City, I didn't see the same ratio of phone obsession between millenial males and females until a few years ago. They are both riding high on the twit-wit bandwagon and I can't wait for the day the ones most guilty of their selfish behaviors crash and burn when the tower comes crashing down and they can't even text their therapist to get an appointment. Payphone? Oh no. They are far too stupid to know how to use it.

I recall one time seeing some twit-wit millenial girl walking through Herald Square reading her phone and tripping over a chair. She fell to the grown in her teeney little skirt and started bleeding. Of course, she was bawling like the pathetic ho she is and NOBODY went over to help her. Grown men AND women looked over, and went back to their coffee and newspaper. She hobbled off, and as she limped away in tears, continued to look at her phone to text. Next time I hope she has a meeting with an open manhole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 7, 2019 12:22 PM

Talk about being heels over head!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 7, 2019 12:23 PM

Freud studied it in the 50s, R49.

by Anonymousreply 52March 7, 2019 12:27 PM

Gay narcissism existed

by Anonymousreply 53March 7, 2019 12:37 PM

Everyone's narcissism existed. We just haven't had a war we HAD to participate in in a long time that could distract us from our own personal navels.

by Anonymousreply 54March 7, 2019 12:41 PM

They aren't looking up from their phones at YOU.

by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2019 12:42 PM

Straight narcissism is normal. Gay narcissism is bad.

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote]The truth is the rise in narcissism among millennials may have less to do with our social networks online and more to do with our social networks at home. Throughout the last few decades, there has been an increase in parental coddling and the so-called "self-esteem" movement. Parents and teachers trying to instill a healthy sense of self-esteem in children by praising them lavishly often do more harm than good. In fact, studies show that children offered compliments for a skill they have not mastered or talents that they do not have are left feeling emptier and more insecure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2019 1:52 PM

So glad to be childless. Improves my health and life expectancy by huge odds.

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2019 10:09 PM

This is why I don't mind planting an elbow into some oaf blocking my way.

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2019 10:48 PM

One day, I'm going to get a bullhorn and blow it into the eardrum of the fucking idiotic twitwit girl on crowded city streets and deafen her right there, quickly disappearing into the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2019 10:57 PM

^You go girl.

by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2019 11:18 PM

Aah..we're all here together. All adults and nobody is coming. Nobody is coming for us. Gotta crack the whip on our own selves. No one's making sure we brushed our teeth before bed. Gonna have to find it in ourselves. But how?

by Anonymousreply 62March 8, 2019 2:09 AM

This is shocking?

by Anonymousreply 63March 8, 2019 7:53 AM

OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 8, 2019 8:02 AM

If every moron thinks they're a genius, this does not bode well for those of us who are genuinely awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 8, 2019 7:18 PM

Narcissism used to be considered a character flaw. Social media turned it into a virtue.

by Anonymousreply 66March 8, 2019 7:56 PM

Too many people don't even know what a narcissist is, rendering the word useless.

by Anonymousreply 67March 8, 2019 8:00 PM

r32 = FUCKTARD! DUUUUUUUH!

by Anonymousreply 68March 8, 2019 8:19 PM

R67 that is your argument, fucktard. Just because fucks like you don't know the meaning of words does not mean the concepts don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 69March 8, 2019 10:31 PM

Irrationally angry people are a far worse threat to the nation that vapid narcissists^^ Exhibit A above

by Anonymousreply 70March 8, 2019 10:32 PM

THAN

by Anonymousreply 71March 8, 2019 10:32 PM

R70 Irrationally stupid and hopeless fucks like you are a danger to anyone stupid enough to keep you around.

by Anonymousreply 72March 8, 2019 10:40 PM

"Tech nerds lacking in social skills created the anti-social media."

The evils of high functioning autism .

by Anonymousreply 73March 8, 2019 10:42 PM

r70, indeed

by Anonymousreply 74March 8, 2019 10:44 PM

[quote] [R70] Irrationally stupid and hopeless fucks like you are a danger to anyone stupid enough to keep you around.

Says the room temperature IQ idiot who wrote tripe like below:

[quote] Bottoms can rub one out and be fine but top guys need to fuck.

May the whole world strive to be as intelligent as you. Oh, and BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 75March 8, 2019 10:46 PM

R75 kill yourself, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 76March 8, 2019 10:48 PM

Hell is other people's selfies.

by Anonymousreply 77March 8, 2019 10:48 PM

r76, is autistic . Or a borderline

by Anonymousreply 78March 8, 2019 10:49 PM

Pretty much, I think narcissistic personality disorder is nurtured in the kids by narcissistic parents. I'm the non-narcissist, out of 3 children, raised by a malignant narcissist dad and co-dependent/enabling/narcissist mom. The difference is that I was the identified truth-teller, scapegoat, and outsider, and I wouldn't ever stop telling the truth about the fuckers.

The family was an abusive and tragic train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 79March 8, 2019 11:31 PM

The actual disorder has specific criteria but that doesn't mean most people are narcissistic to an unhealthy degree. Parents, like mine, can be extreme in the sense they give no fucks for their children's identity or well-being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 9, 2019 7:33 PM

R67 is actually calling out the misunderstanding on this thread. Many here mistaking narcissism as vanity /self interest. Age, generation doesn't factor in. Narcs share 1 common denominator with psycho/sociopaths and autism/aspergers. Those 3 have one major character flaw/trait that basically makes them disposable units.

LACK OF EMPATHY

THAT'S what you need to be on the lookout for. Keep your eyes peeled.

The sociopath & narcissist can conceal this inner corruption but those on autism spectrum are not capable, self aware.

The most dangerous of these would take the form of the COVERT NARCISSISTIC SOCIOPATH.

They don't display their inner malfunction as someone who is in love with themselves or attention seekers. Usually quite introverted. That's why they're so dangerous! Malignant narcissist of the covert type or more outgoing style consider themselves first before anyone. No matter the style, they don't deep down really think well of themselves. Both believe they are deserving of material items/life circumstances/personality traits and good looks.. and for others to believe they are special in some way. An overt will readily display thoughts and behavior that reflect this entitlement. Overt or covert they resent and envy others for having possessions or traits they wish they owned. Besides lacking empathy their comorbid sickness is ENVY.

Envy is a built in human trait. Normal people will use this trait to identify what they want out of life. They seek mentors or celebrity characters as guides to teach them how to achieve their desires..but there's no malice involved. They're supportive of their idols. Can feel joy for idol's/friends/family member achievements. The malignant "green narcissists", envy is a sickness. They not only idolize or secretly look up to those who possess what they wish for themselves but instead rather to take it away from the person they envy.

Follow with examples of the different branches of sick. What to look out for like signs a mostly well adjusted individual is 90% sure to miss. A healthy person struggles to be aware of the narcissist's warped predilection, is incapable of discerning the tell tale signs until maybe much later in life. Even a narcissist might struggle to wrap their heads around a Ted Bundy. The well adjusted will experience a shock to their core & scrambled belief in the human race. It's a hit in the gut for these souls. Struggling to fathom that monsters walk amongst us. Since the virus narcissist is ALWAYS working off of a malignant operating style (projecting their motives onto others [borderlines/paranoids overlap] with projection & validation) reaction to Ted Bundy is at least they're not as bad as him! The difference? Normal people focus outside of themselves onto the whole human race. The narcissist goes inside themselves and focuses on the comparison of themselves to Ted Bundy. At least I'm not a serial killer!

There's so many examples, seemingly benevolent feelings and actions towards those in their orbit. It is up to the innocent to play detective with various scenarios and record the true MOTIVATION for the narc's behavior.

The innocent must recollect these behaviors in ALL scenarios. A handwritten private journal disguised as a book or misleading first few pages as some mundane ledger for weight loss or decorating ideas. Disguised as a scrapbook the narcissist has no interest in. Use their self centered, lazy nature. THIS is how you'll expose their disorder. Self preservation.

Think of ordinarily seeming parents who only smother you with support when you reflect positively on them. Polar opposite if you dare be young, innocent and screw up in their eyes.

No empathy to how you may be feeling after you fucked up. It's how THEY feel it reflects on them. See, because you don't really exist for you. You're a personal nonentity. These replaceable, disposable scourge good for nothings, of all people, are deeming to place themselves above you. And YOU in comparison is in fact superior in every way. Deserving of upmost investment. You're cut from a finer cloth.

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2019 3:36 AM

R81 Is that a cut and paste?

TL/dr

by Anonymousreply 82March 10, 2019 3:51 AM

Oh no R82, bc it ended up being a novella 😂 even had to edit the crap out of it a/ maxing out the character allowance. It is written in the thesis format taught a/9th grade. Paragraphs are expounded bullet points. They're break up is to distinguish individual points. Aims to make the comment less tedious to the reader.

We're really here to protect the duped innocent from these predators.

As we asked the gang here, R82......can you throw in some sage tidbits of your observance when dealing with these soul-crushing, life-draining cretins?

Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 83March 10, 2019 4:07 AM

R83 Oh, OK.

by Anonymousreply 84March 10, 2019 4:49 AM

Used to read all about narcissism for the past decade. Still do. 3 years on free from a covert narcissistic psychopath. An IT director in a well known company to us all- located in Google Headquarters building in Chelsea blocks from Midtown.

My mom was a flagrant narcissist. Because of her mostly grandiose manner it was difficult for me to evade the downtrodden morose sadsack of my eventual captor of the covert sort later in life. My mom grandiose, yes, but in a somewhat refined manner. This covert narc psychopath flew under the radar by displaying more of a regular nerdy guy who grew up in circumstances no one would envy. They make you wanna rescue them. HIS MOTHER however was a flaming, flagrant VULGAR low rent shrew. Absentee father. This combo fuels the development of psychopathic males. Produces a permanent state of pure RAGE.

Know these signs if the above scenario fits an individual. Not all from these circumstances of course. But be hyperviligant of someone's marginal beginning such as above^. Not all psychopaths are serial killers but all serial killers are psychopaths. Research their childhoods and you're gonna find about 85% of SK had a domineering mother and absent bio father who bailed.

So important to share. You read news articles every day of the mask slipping.

Quietly, w/o arousing suspicion plan your exit. Anyone who reads this and recognizes the signs above get out or you'll one day be featured in the Daily Fail on a slow news day.

SPREAD THE WORD

by Anonymousreply 85March 10, 2019 5:31 AM

R85 you sound like a psychopath. Who is also unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 86March 11, 2019 6:56 AM

I hope this doesn't sound too old codgerish, but I thought, when cell phones first arrived on the scene, that they'd end up being the downfall of civilization. I still believe that. Not the phones themselves, obviously, but the impact they're having on society as a whole will become overwhelmingly detrimental.

by Anonymousreply 87March 11, 2019 7:27 AM

R87 = GET OFF MY LAWN!

by Anonymousreply 88March 11, 2019 11:53 AM

That's cute, R88!

by Anonymousreply 89March 11, 2019 11:55 AM

"The sociopath & narcissist can conceal this inner corruption but those on autism spectrum are not capable, self aware"

There are many autistics that can talk and function who share similarities with narcissists and sociopaths. The main symptom - lack of empathy and secretive life.

by Anonymousreply 90March 11, 2019 10:28 PM

Always have your guard up with someone who identifies as Asperger or autistic. They can be destructive . Also, many diagnosed borderlines are really autistic.

by Anonymousreply 91March 11, 2019 10:30 PM

R91 you say the same thing in every thread, die cunt. Please.

by Anonymousreply 92March 12, 2019 10:59 PM

r92, after you Tard.

by Anonymousreply 93March 14, 2019 7:32 PM

Will the tears never cease?

by Anonymousreply 94March 14, 2019 8:20 PM

Ironic that someone who purportedly knows a lot about mental health finds it appropriate to call someone a ‘tard.’

Classy.

by Anonymousreply 95March 14, 2019 8:44 PM

r95, knee jerk platitudes .. I hope you can stop with your obsessive need for vengeance . You so lack in self awareness .

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2019 8:49 PM

I think I read something like, single people are now the majority of baby boomers.

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2019 9:39 PM

Hint, r96, I’m not the guy you’re arguing with. I just found it very ironic and oh so rude.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2019 10:47 PM

Lol. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 99April 4, 2019 3:44 PM

Social media has increased narcissistic people exponentially

by Anonymousreply 100April 14, 2019 5:08 PM

I enjoying the anger and hostility in this thread,

by Anonymousreply 101April 14, 2019 5:31 PM

R100, "social media have" would be more correct. Narcissism I can handle. Poor grammar, no.

by Anonymousreply 102April 14, 2019 5:41 PM

Cue the inevitable comments blaming the ills of the world on "smartphones". Why do phones bother people so much? They seem an odd thing to focus on.

by Anonymousreply 103April 14, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote]Social media has increased narcissistic people exponentially

How do you "increase" people, exponentially or otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 104April 14, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote]Why do phones bother people so much?

I hate hearing other people's phones, whether conversation or music is what's being imposed upon me.

by Anonymousreply 105April 14, 2019 6:02 PM

R102 thanks cunt. We needed your stupid contribution. Hopefully a huge truck runs you over.

by Anonymousreply 106April 14, 2019 6:28 PM

R79 I was raised by two textbook narcissists. I have five siblings; two are narcissists, myself and other siblings are not. I noticed the narcissism in my two narcissistic siblings when they were pre-schoolers. I am quite older than them. We were raised in the same environment by the same two crazy, toxic, abusive parents. The same goes for my younger cousins. I saw the narcissism in four out of twenty of them when they were very young. They never outgrew that "I have to have my way or else" toddler stage.

Back then I didn't know what it was called, but I sure knew what it looked like whenever I saw it. I swear they are born that way and then the parents either make it worse OR they are narcissistic and tick all the boxes but just not toxic to the extreme, like some of the worst and most fucked up of the Real Housewives, and also Trump for example. However, there is no safe or good narcissism. They are all toxic, some are just a lot worse than others.

by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2019 12:13 AM

R107 people are people. They are what they are. Does not matter what you call it. Nothing you do will change it.

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2019 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!