Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Mask” Director Says Cher Can’t Act and That She Hates Men

So there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 7, 2019 3:55 PM

I agree

by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2019 4:23 PM

They’ve hated each other forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2019 4:24 PM

Ironically started to watch "Mask" last night which I have never seen. I saw "The Cher Show" on Broadway and the script goes overboard in making her a saint and the three men in her life jerks because they wouldn't accept her "nurturing nature". I've read a lot of negative things about Peter Bogdanovich over the years, and in researching "Mask", discovered that the real mother was nothing like how Cher portrayed her to be. None of us are saints, so biographies shouldn't make celebrities out to be. I enjoy her as a camp icon who on occasion could give a really good performance. So far, about 20 minutes into "Mask" (started it to help me get sleepy after 11 PM), I have mixed feelings, but more about the script than Cher's performance.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2019 4:24 PM

She still won the Oscar for Best Actress for MASK.

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2019 4:24 PM

R4 "Moonstruck". She got a Golden Globe nomination for "Mask", but no Oscar nomination. She was really pissed off by that, too, calling it a snub.

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2019 4:25 PM

Peter B married his murdered girlfriend’s sister. He has to be strange. Good for Cher she has a nice life.

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2019 4:32 PM

Minimal talent... wearing outrageous clothes etc for over fifty years ... what’s the big deal ?????. Couldn’t get ongoing mainstream fan base so pursued gay community ... No big deal really...

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2019 4:39 PM

OP = worse than Hitler and Bogdanovich's ego

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2019 4:41 PM

OP, you idiot, there's already a thread about this with 240+ posts.

Do a search next time.

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2019 4:42 PM

Cher is 72. You are still talking about her. Silkwood, Mask, Moonlight. He's talking to the wind.

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2019 4:49 PM

He's a failed director. His early films depended on gorgeous B+W cinematography and the charm of the actors. Good casting and good camera work, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2019 4:57 PM

WTF? Cher is not Streep. She can't play a wide range of characters.

Neither can most actors today.

But she sells the hell out of the Cher-like characters she does play.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2019 4:59 PM

She hates lesbians more if she made her LESBIAN daughter go to the chop shop. Marie Osmond and Carol Burnett did not.

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2019 6:11 PM

How is Cher still claiming to be 72??

She has to be at LEAST 90.

by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2019 6:14 PM

She badmouthed Sonny all the rest of his life then cried over him at his funeral. And he was more supportive of Chastity in private despite voting for DOMA in public.

by Anonymousreply 15March 6, 2019 6:26 PM

She was the one who had a cow over Chastity’s lesbianism. After Sonny died she refused to accept her until she turned tranny. That’s not love. That’s not acceptance. That’s blackmail. That’s homophobia. And I will always hate SWILL & DISGRACE for giving this homophobic breeder bitch a platform.

by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2019 6:29 PM

Sam Elliot was in the movie and once he was asked who was the most difficult to work with and he said "Cher, but that is all I'm going to say"

by Anonymousreply 17March 6, 2019 6:30 PM

Ironic considering Bogdanovich can't act and hates women.

by Anonymousreply 18March 6, 2019 6:31 PM

[quote] She was the one who had a cow over Chastity’s lesbianism. After Sonny died she refused to accept her until she turned tranny. That’s not love. That’s not acceptance. That’s blackmail. That’s homophobia. And I will always hate SWILL & DISGRACE for giving this homophobic breeder bitch a platform.

Cher actually THREW Chastity out of the house after she found out about her being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2019 6:32 PM

That’s why we should hate her as much as Anita Bryant. But since she dresses better gays give her a pass. Not this one.

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2019 6:35 PM

But they made-up quickly, in just a week. Cher's big excuse was that she was mad Chasity had already come out to everyone BUT Cher. Big deal, Chasity obviously knew Cher would overreact, just like she did. And it's ridiculous to say Cher pressured Chasity into becoming a trannie, that isn't how it works. After the initial hissy-fit, Cher was accepting of Chasity being a lesbian, and then also accepted her being a trannie.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2019 6:39 PM

Lies, R21. People who can accept themselves don’t try to change their sex.

by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2019 6:42 PM

Stop trying to rationalize gay erasure. She only accepted her on conditions of maintaining a false image of heterosexuality. She is no ally, she is a backstabber.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2019 6:43 PM

Like many trannies, Chasity initially assumed she was gay.

by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2019 6:47 PM

Saying that Cher hates men and that’s why she dropped her father’s last name is really an outrageous thing to say not to mention that Cher took her married name at one point - like women should have to do that. This dude is a misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 25March 6, 2019 7:29 PM

Cher was badmouthing Bogdanovich before he ever gave his side of it. He's not required to be nice to Cher of all people.

by Anonymousreply 26March 6, 2019 7:33 PM

r12 neither can Streep.

by Anonymousreply 27March 6, 2019 7:39 PM

And yet Cher seems to have decades long professional relationships with both men an women, she can’t be all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 28March 6, 2019 7:45 PM

Weren’t Cher and Eric Stoltz banging while making the movie? And why wasn’t Stoltz nominated for his performance in ‘Mask’?

by Anonymousreply 29March 6, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote] why wasn’t Stoltz nominated for his performance in ‘Mask’?

Backlash against Cher affected his chances. Bogdanovich had a fight with the studio, and Cher sided with the studio. That caused several of Bogdanovich allies to start a whisper campaign against Cher getting an Oscar nod. Unfortunate it spilled over to Stoltz chances as well.

by Anonymousreply 30March 6, 2019 7:59 PM

Agree that Cher has a limited range, but I never heard either Robert Altman or Mike Nichols bad-mouth her, and they both directed her prior to Bogdanovich.

I do recall reading stories that she spent a lot of time questioning his near-every move, which he probably hadn't encountered before. It's likely that she was a bit full of herself after the Oscar nom for SILKWOOD and thought Bogdanovich was a lesser talent as he had a very checkered career by then. So she didn't want to trust him.

It's interesting that Bogdanovich is very complimentary to Streisand (albeit in a rather patronizing way) and she had much more of a "difficult diva" rep at the time of DOC than Cher has. But at that time, he was golden.

by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2019 9:49 PM

Is she lez or trans?

by Anonymousreply 32March 7, 2019 2:22 PM

R23 maintaining a false image of heterosexuality.

Exactly like Whitney

by Anonymousreply 33March 7, 2019 2:23 PM

Having watched "Mask" last night and recalling how in "The Cher Show", she revealed how she took her being left out as a snub, it seems she thought she was guaranteed a nomination. Looking at who was nominated, it is obvious to me that Cher possibly just missed out on a nomination by a few votes. It was a very tough year. Whoopie, Bancroft, Streep, Lange, Page, all top notch performances. It was also the year of Glenn Close in "Jagged Edge", Kathleen Turner in "Prizzi's Honor", Mia Farrow in "The Purple Rose of Cairo", Sissy Spacek in "Marie", to mention a few.

Cher does give a very convincing performance, although research on the real "Rusty" Dennis shows her not to be as likable as Cher made her. The two scenes that really stand out are Stoltz's confrontation over her private life (resulting in a slap where Cher really shows several different elements of pain) and her reaction to his fate. Did Academy members perhaps not vote for her because her character was, as Rizzo in "Grease" says, "trashy and no good", or did the other nominees just strike them as more memorable? "Mask" as a movie is one step above a "movie of the week". After "Mask", I watched the same year's "A Time to Live" (an above average TV movie) with Liza playing the mother of a kid with muscular dystrophy, and while Liza did win the Golden Globe that year, she didn't get an Emmy nomination. It's the luck of the draw, and at the discretion of the voters.

by Anonymousreply 34March 7, 2019 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!