Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Books Are You Reading in 2019? Part 2

Please continue to share with us the writings you read this year.

by Anonymousreply 7710 hours ago

Previous thread

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2019

Does anyone have any guesses as to what might be nominated for a Lambda Literary Award (a "Lammy") this year for gay fiction? The nominations are supposed to be announced this week.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2019

Is The Great Believers eligible this year?

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2019

Yes, R3. It's on the longlist of eligible books (under Gay Fiction).

Several books that have been discussed in the last thread are also on it.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2019

Ooh thanks for posting that, r4.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2019

Sorry for starting a similar thread, Please ignore it and post here.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2019

R6, I’m a huge fan of William Trevor. I started to read him after watching the movie of MY HOUSE IN UMBRIA with Maggie Smith and Chris Cooper, which was much more subversive than the poster and advertising of Maggie Smith in a period movie in Italy would suggest.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2019

“Anything is Possible” by Elizabeth Strout, which is one of those books where it becomes painful to see how few pages I have left to read every night....

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2019

Agree about Trevor. Sorry he didn't win the Nobel.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2019

I'll look for a paperback of My House in Umbria. I'll be eager to read more Trevor soon.

Thank you, r7.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2019

[quote]Lawn Boy, Jonathan Evison, Algonquin Books

Another gay novel named Lawnboy?

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2019

I own a few of the Lambda long list but have only read The Great Believers.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2019

First, as anyone read any Lori Lansens?

I am currently alternating The Librarian by Salleu Vickers, Motel Lige by Willy Vlautin and reading a chapter a night from The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie. I have never read a Poirot before.

On a lighter note, I have a copy of a gay romance called Red White And Royal Blue. Yes, it’s written by a woman so I assume Kosoko Jackson won’t approve.

It’s about the First Son of the first female President who attends Georgetown and lives in the White House (in Malia’s old bedroom). He has a rivalry with the similarly aged Henry, Prince of Wales, heir to the throne. Will their hate turn into love-hate? etc etc seems to be the premise.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2019

Toward the end of the previous thread, someone was talking about Sharon Kay Penman. Penman is a difficult one to judge. I respect the vast amount of research she clearly does. But her prose is dull, and her books are very, very staid and frauish. One of my peeves with SKP is her need to have her medieval characters bathing all the time. It's her one glaring anachronism, but I think she does it so that her readers won't be grossed out during the sex scenes. There's even bathtub sex (tame, frauish bathtub sex.) And of course, she never goes anywhere near gay relationships. I don't think that even her book about Richard the Lionheart had any hints of homosexuality.

That said, most other writers of histfic make SKP look like a Booker Prize winner.

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2019

I have Wolf Hall at home because i use to read Booker winners (well not necesarily winners, i generally read at least a couple of books of Booker, NBA and Women's prize long list) but i didn't even try it yet. I'm not a big fan of historical novels, and Wolf Hall is not a short novel.

Right now i'm on the mood for my yearly reading of John Connoly's Charlie Bird series

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2019

just finished Surprising Myself by Christopher Bram. what a delightful book. full of laughter and love and the world's most dysfunctional family. had to track it down on Amazon. no library seemed to have it. has moved to the top of my favorite book list.

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2019

R14 I compare reading Penman with eating a big slab of dry pound cake. It sits on your stomach until you have recourse to a dose of alka seltzer.

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2019

The Bogdanovich thread has inspired me to purchase Daisy Miller by Henry James on Audible. I will listen to it this weekend as I have a few hours driving to get through.

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2019

Thanks to the Elizabeth Holmes thread, I bought Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John about the Theranos shit show.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2019

Interesting. Lots of great books on that longlist were snubbed by the Lambda Literary Awards committee for fiction: The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai, A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne (I'm reading his The Heart's Invisible Furies right now and it is exceptional), Tin Man by Sarah Winman, Read by Strangers by Philip Dean Walker, etc.

The Makkai omission reminds me when they snubbed Tim Murphy for the brilliant Christodora.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2019

I'm reading Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington. I read The Magnificent Ambersons last year and was a bit disappointed. But then read some comments about how AA was his best novel (and I think it won him a Pulitzer).

It's like he wrote it for Katharine Hepburn, even though he obviously couldn't have known her in 1921.

I read a lot of late 19th century and early 20th century British literature and it's interesting how truly "homegrown" American authors of the same period sound like Tarkington, Sinclair Lewis and Theodore Dreiser in comparison. Mark Twain, too, of course. But then I don't find Edith Wharton usually has that quality....she always seems more British. She doesn't indulge much in American slang.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2019

friend just gave me My Own Country by Abraham Verghese. AIDS doctor. well reviewed. but i'm expecting a rough reaction to the story.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2019

Even Pauline Kael said good stuff about Hepburn in Alice Adams.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2019

Wharton was to the manor born and lived a great deal of time in Europe. She hung out with Henry James, who would have considered slang "vulgar."

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2019

The Library Book by Susan Orlean. Well written account of the Los Angeles Library fire. An interesting and fun read.

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2019

I'm nearly finished with "The Diary of a Bookseller" by Shaun Bythell. Some reviewers have found him a bit "attitudinal", but I find him funny. Does a great job showing the book biz in the days of Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2019

r26 he has a sequel coming out soon "Confessions of a Bookseller".

by Anonymousreply 2703/11/2019

He does? I can find nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 2803/11/2019

I just finished Booth Tarkington's ALICE ADAMS.

Highly recommended for DL readers. Alice is a character who could easily be a poster here. But beware: I bought a paperback on Amazon and it's one of those very cheap editions that look like it was created by the high school mimeograph machine.

by Anonymousreply 2903/12/2019

ALICE is part of the upcoming Library of America Tarkingtion volume.

by Anonymousreply 3003/12/2019

I was at The Strand Book Store today and picked up a paperback they were featuring called The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, a first novel by Natasha Pulley.

It looks like fun, a historic novel about a Victorian telegrapher who works at the Home Office and gets caught up in Irish revolutionary bombings at Scotland Yard. Many great reviews and blurbs all over the cover and front pages.

by Anonymousreply 3103/12/2019

just starting Ladder to the Sky. so damn enjoyable! M gored by Gore!

by Anonymousreply 3203/13/2019

I enjoyed A Ladder to the Sky but I thought it could have benefitted from a little more subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 3303/13/2019

Me too. Thought it was a good airplane book. Nothing wrong with that, though.

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2019

I'm reading "Small Fry" by Steve Jobs' daughter. It's starting to feel like Augusten Burroughs' book about his creepy dad "A Wolf At The Table".

Maybe fathers aren't such a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2019

thanks to a mention on the inside flap of A Ladder to the Sky, i have just picked Highsmith's trilogy of Ripley books.

by Anonymousreply 3603/15/2019

R36, there are five Ripley books, not three.

by Anonymousreply 3703/15/2019

I have Tessa Hadley's "Bad Dreams and other stories" on my eReader for times when I want a story or two, instead of a continuous narrative. Now that I've gone through four or five of them, I would say that the writing quality remains consistently high, although overall it seems a repeating theme of innocent younger women and not-so-innocent older men. In my opinion, the female lead characters could generally stand in for gay male ones.

by Anonymousreply 3803/15/2019

The Ripley books are divine.

by Anonymousreply 3903/15/2019

I'm reading Manhattan Beach, very different from previous Egan's books

by Anonymousreply 4003/15/2019

Beware Manhattan Beach.

It starts with a bang and ends with a whimper.

by Anonymousreply 4103/15/2019

I am reading Frank Langella’s celebrity tell all.

by Anonymousreply 4203/15/2019

"Wharton was to the manor born and lived a great deal of time in Europe. She hung out with Henry James, who would have considered slang "vulgar"

Plus her life experience, while not necessarily tragic in itself, certainly gave Wharton a more reserved and formal POV of the human condition, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 4303/15/2019

If memory serves, Langella did not care for a certain Actors Studio guru, which I found surprising.

by Anonymousreply 4403/15/2019

I listen to the audio of Langella's book which worked out well with him being an actor and all. Definitely recommended.

by Anonymousreply 4503/15/2019

Working on an Agatha Christie stand-alone novel: They Came to Baghdad. The grifter gal seems like she'd be popular with Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Monday at 6:57 PM

Just finished 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" by Winifred Watson. Such a lovely book, breezy, funny, witty. Though it does have a couple of anti-Semetic references, which is a pity.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Monday at 7:18 PM

really enjoyed Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. what an early life that man had.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Monday at 7:43 PM

Started Old Filth from Jane Gardam and am enjoying it.

Also started a series of books from Mathew Hall, the first one is called The coroner. It is about a female coroner in Bristol that is a pill popping mess but it is strangy engaging and original for a crime series.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Tuesday at 4:00 AM

R47 Loved the film. I may give the book a go.

R46 They Came To Baghdad is probably my favourite Agatha Christie stand-alone. It’s like a screwball comedy. Had it been published in the 1930s it could have been made into a film by Alfred Hitchcock and the last of The Lady Vanishes.

I laugh at the description of when the grifter protagonist attends the interview at the Savoy, and seeing a woman in a neat tweed suit, gleefully wants to rip it off her. And how she lives entire on free gin and olives at the hotel bar of her Baghdad hotel. I listened to the audiobook with Emilia Fox, who was hilariously good.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Tuesday at 4:21 AM

It always surprises me to think how few of the Christie books, including the Poirots and Marples, were made into films until the 1980s. Perhaps because the ones that were filmed were produced as cheap B pictures? It wasn't until Murder on the Orient Express that producers realized they needed superb all-star casting and expensive production design to carry the silly plots?

by Anonymousreply 51Last Tuesday at 4:41 AM

It's Emilia Fox's narration I'm listening to actually. Need to see a print copy to see the spelling of (phonetic) "Chlangow" where the ch is pronounced as in Scottish "loch"? Was thinking earlier that the story reminds me a bit of Graham Greene's "Our Man in Havana" and "Scoop".

by Anonymousreply 52Last Tuesday at 4:53 AM

R51, good question. Maybe because until then most of the adaptations were pretty dismal?

Also, much as I love Agathe Christie, her international spy stories are the worse of her books, including the Baghdad one (though they can be enjoying as well).

by Anonymousreply 53Last Tuesday at 9:39 AM

I am starting Game Of Thrones and am not loving it. I liked Season 3 best so perhaps I should skip ahead to that book.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Friday at 4:44 AM

Ninth Street Women: Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Grace Hartigan, Joan Mitchell, and Helen Frankenthaler: Five Painters and the Movement That Changed Modern Art.

Enjoying it, particularly since Mary Gabriel refers to the Museum of Modern Art as "the Modern," which is what I always called it, and thought it was called, instead of the annoying MoMA acronym. I had wondered if I were crazy: "the Modern"? One friend of mine actively makes fun of me for calling it that, the little parvenu.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Friday at 6:02 AM

I'm bingeing on William Trevor's 200 page novellas. End of Summer, The Old Boys, The Children of Dynmouth, Felicia's Journey, all highly compelling.

Though not mystery/thrillers, his writing style is not unlike DL fave Ruth Rendell's.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Friday at 7:29 AM

Finally finished this biography on Wittgenstein.

He sounds like a major self-hating semi-closeted pain-in-the-ass uptight DIVA.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Friday at 8:34 AM

^ Also: Straight men really should not be allowed to write biographies on Gay men.

They really have no fucking clues the kind of problems - familial, social/political , personal - that we face.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Friday at 8:37 AM

Well, that's just silly, r58. As if all game men faced the same problems. Does that apply to women writing about men and vice versa?

by Anonymousreply 59Last Friday at 1:31 PM

Well, I should have qualified by saying that only gay men should write biographies about gay PHILOSOPHERS.

And there’re only about two Gay Philosophers of note of 20th century: Wittgenstein and Foucault.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Friday at 3:10 PM

Right, And only gay actors should play gay characters, and only black authors should write about black experience and only Mexican chefs should open taquerias.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Friday at 3:31 PM

Don’t be dense. As I’ve said, in my qualification at r60: there are only TWO Gay Philosophers in the 20th century that are worth writing biographies about.

TWO.

Did you get it: TWO?

I said nothing about the other types, whether it’s writers or actors.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Friday at 4:17 PM

And the irony: on a thread about reading, there’s seems to be a glaring lack of reading comprehension, and understanding of qualifications.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Friday at 4:23 PM

^ * there seems

by Anonymousreply 64Last Friday at 4:23 PM

It was total shithouse!

by Anonymousreply 65Last Friday at 4:36 PM

A random thrift shop find, "Hello Dubai", a travelogue by Joe Bennett.

A really clever read, great turns of phrasing on every page. Bennett doesn't look down on his subject matter too much, he kind of has a love of the absurdity of modern life like JG Ballard had. Bennett is rather philosophical and sociological. The Filipina maid in a soulless mall food court is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Friday at 5:41 PM

R65 Very funny. "For entertainment they'd poke cobwebs or read books - being alive was like being dead. "

by Anonymousreply 67Yesterday at 6:27 AM

I just started Shape of Water and so far am enjoying it. I have Becoming on my library wait list. I just finished Jane Harper's (The Dry) new book Force of Nature. It was all right but not as good as her first.

by Anonymousreply 68Yesterday at 7:01 AM

I didn't even think The Dry was very good. Very overrated IMHO. I never understand how some of these mediocre books by unknown authors become bestsellers.

by Anonymousreply 69Yesterday at 11:11 AM

Just picked up an advance copy of Louis Bayard's COURTING MR. LINCOLN. About Abe's love for Joshua Speed. Scheduled to be published in April. Can't wait to see how he handles the subject! Have enjoyed some of Bayard's early works.

by Anonymousreply 70Yesterday at 11:16 AM

Sorry to re-ask if this has already been asked, but does anyone know when the third Wolf Hall book will be published?

by Anonymousreply 71Yesterday at 12:01 PM

Trump is reading....

by Anonymousreply 72Yesterday at 12:53 PM

I'm interested in reading Louis Bayard as I enjoy historical fiction. What would be his best book for a beginner?

by Anonymousreply 73Yesterday at 6:20 PM

I really enjoyed Your Friend Forever, A. Lincoln: The Enduring Friendship of Abraham Lincoln and Joshua Speed. Very well researched and a moving examination of male friendship.

by Anonymousreply 7412 hours ago

I enjoyed his MR. TIMOTHY, a sequel to CHRISTMAS CAROL, but I first encountered his early work when he was writing contemporary novels, like FOOL'S ERRAND and ENDANGERED SPECIES. He's pretty prolific, so you have a lot to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 7512 hours ago

I have had the audio of Mr Timothy on my TBR pile for a while.

by Anonymousreply 7611 hours ago

I continue reading Ninth Street Women. It's a big one, though—someone actually complained on Amazon how heavy the real book is—and I was only 13% through last time I looked. I'm enjoying it, but it's taking forever. I think I'm going to add a third book to my current pile.

by Anonymousreply 7710 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!