Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Telling my daughter her grandparents are deplorables

My six year old keeps asking for her grandparents. How can I explain to a six year old who obviously has no understanding of politics, that her grandparents cannot be a part of her life because they are deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2019 12:24 AM

Children should be seen and not heard. No one gives a fuck what they think. End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2019 6:55 PM

I guess it depends just how deplorable they are, but as much as I hate Republicans, I'd still allow my child some contact with their grandparents. Surely they have something else to talk about than politics, especially with a 6yr old.

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2019 6:55 PM

Wow, you daughter is dating a man who smokes?

- My daughter's boyfriend smokes tobacco

[quote]How can I convince her to respect herself and leave him?

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2019 6:55 PM

R3 Take your yourself and your slanderous implications out of my thread.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2019 6:58 PM

My mother was a narcissistic, borderline horror. She abuse me and my brother from my earliest memories. I told both my kids what a mess she was.

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2019 7:05 PM

While I don't have children, all other members of my family are Trumptards. I made a deal with them early on - if they wanted to have me around, or be a part of their lives, then there would be absolutely NO discussion of politics (religion is also included for other reasons).

Make the same deal with your parents, OP, and enforce it. If they can't keep their politics out of any discussion in front of their granddaughter, then tell them they can have a relationship with their granddaughter in writing.

Put the burden on THEM to keep their mouths shut. By the same token, you can't bring up your political beliefs when you are with them and your daughter.

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2019 7:05 PM

We don’t care about your breeder problems.

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2019 7:07 PM

Your daughter asked me to tell you, OP, that even though she's only six, she already finds you tedious.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2019 7:10 PM

Grammy and Grandpa are not nice people, and they only like people who are bad. They will make you feel bad. The President of our country is a bad and scary man. But I am here to make sure you are okay and safe.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2019 7:13 PM

Is this a frau thread?

Does anyone have a nice bundt cake recipe?

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2019 7:20 PM

What your question actually tells all of us is that you yourself do not have a well-considered reason for not having your parents in your life.

If you had a reason beyond sound bites, identity politics, and/or purity tests, you'd be able to sit down and explain to your daughter what is truly wrong with the current right wing orthodoxy.

You would be able to say:

- Honey, your grandparents don't believe the same things I believe.

- I believe that people should be judged based on what they do, not what color their skin is or who they want to love and marry.

- I your grandparents think that it's okay to be mean to people because they have different color skin or hair or want to marry a man instead of a woman.

The fact that you don't know what's wrong with being a deplorable means that you probably are one, but just happen to be gay, so are more about identity politics than actual well-considered policy.

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2019 7:27 PM

OP - do they treat you and your daughter well - and you are just hung up on their voting record? Every child who is lucky enough to have grandparents have a right to see them and vice versa. Perhaps your parents aren't the deplorables in this conversation....

by Anonymousreply 12March 4, 2019 7:38 PM

R12 don't try and reason with a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 13March 4, 2019 8:25 PM

The problem I have with my Deplorable relatives is that they can’t shut up about it. My brother, for example, recently referred to “the haters”, meaning Liberals. So I wonder, “hates who? Muslims? Blacks? Mexicans, immigrants, Gays, disabled? Elites?” Those, or much of those, are all hated (or feared or both) by the Right, not by the Left. A case might be made that the Left hates my brother, or other right wingers. I’d accept that. But the difference, of course, is between hating people for existing, and hating them for their actions.

So, engaging my brother means having a pointless argument over something he already ought to understand but chooses to be willfully ignorant of. Besides, the next time I see him, he’ll start up again, and he will again act surprised if I stop him and argue the point, as if we’ve never discussed it before. I’ve asked my other siblings if he has Alzheimers but can’t get any agreement on that.

So dealing with him means either being a perpetual doormat, or engaging in perpetual arguments over things that neither of us can actually change, particularly at the dinner table, and which are repugnant to me to be even discussing at all, and are not how we were raised.

My brother in law is the same, and the two men share one thing in particular in common: they want whatever benefits they can get from the government or from life in general, though they don’t actually want to work for them; and also, want to deny such benefits to other equally qualified or entitled people. They’re fucking sociopaths.

So, that is why I skipped Easter with my Deplorables and expect to continue to do so at least through current Fascist regime.

OP, just tell your folks. If they can’t agree to keep their mouths closed on the subject, they’re done, though I’d try to be forgiving of the occasional slip, if not too egregious. Also, tell them that Fox is a very bad influence on them, like you would if they were meth heads, and ask them to just stop watching it. They won’t ever recover with a daily dose of Fox, I am convinced.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2019 3:53 PM

OP, something tells me your mouth never shuts either. You don't have a daughter, you have a weapon you use to hurt people you don't agree with. And when she grows up she'll despise you. Which is something she and I will have in common.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 4:05 PM

But R14, weren't they equally as horrible during the Obama years? These people will always be unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 4:14 PM

Guess what her grandparents are telling her about you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2019 4:16 PM

My son used to like his grandma until she became addicted to Fox News and the Catholic channel. By the time she died, he was pretty glad to be rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 4:34 PM

1/10.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 4:41 PM

OP YOU ARE AS EVIL AS ANY DEPLORABLE .

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 5:14 PM

[quote]While I don't have children, all other members of my family are Trumptards. I made a deal with them early on - if they wanted to have me around, or be a part of their lives, then there would be absolutely NO discussion of politics (religion is also included for other reasons).

I don't agree with this. If they cared about you, they wouldn't support a man who is reinstating policies and appointing officials who are against you. By remaining in their lives you are giving them permission to work against you and your rights. If you can't depend on family to support you and your best interests, then who else do you have?

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 5:24 PM

There are other solutions to this problem, OP.

More....permanent solutions, shall we say.

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 5:29 PM

It's sad that this regime has divided so many people OP I sympathize with your situation. I know it's tough but obviously your child loves them. Children see past politics. Shield her. Protect her but life is too short not to honor her wishes. They wont always be around . You can teach your child that love conquers hate through this tough time. I think it has to be one of the lessons for this difficult time in America. I wish you good luck

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Just tell them they are sick and not mentally well. If you tried to make it work and the GPS start up with the abusive communication tactics that deplorables use, then you tried your best.

If they choose to continue to be in an abusive cult that promotes harassment, dishonesty and chaos then that is not safe for children.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2019 5:33 PM

GPS = grandparents

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Life is too short to argue with deplorable scum. There’s less of them than in 2016, but some are still out there.

Only the worst of the worst are left.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2019 5:36 PM

Tell her they're Gromblefogues. That'll shut her up.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2019 5:41 PM

Hillary really was engaging in psychological projection when she made that initial comment, and this thread is living proof. OP, I hope they take your daughter away from you and give her to them just to spite you.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Only gay Republicans should be allowed to have children.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2019 5:45 PM

This is a troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2019 6:19 PM

I saw a man with a "MAGA" hat on in the airport.

I no longer get angry. I pity the stupid and laugh at them

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2019 6:28 PM

Yes, it is, R30. OP is the anti-smoking troll.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2019 6:40 PM

Here's OP's thread about his daughter who is a smoker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2019 6:41 PM

OP has an entire imaginary family. Two of 'em, in fact. And neighbors. And in-laws.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2019 6:44 PM

I adored my maternal grandparents and spent summers with them and they instilled in me many ethics of discipline and hard work but that was in the 60's. Recently mother told me how my grandfather in the 1940's in Detroit area led a neighborhood brigade to stop blacks from moving in. SO, there's that. I considered them Reagan-type Republicans but I guess in some ways they were pre-Deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2019 6:46 PM

In the South they would have been Slaveocrats. I had a boyfriend whose whole family were racists and they were not Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2019 6:50 PM

When are you going to tell your daughter it's a boy?

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote] Here's OP's thread about his daughter who is a smoker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2019 7:01 PM

We had this problem during Vietnam/Nixon years and it went away til Rush Limbaugh & Newt Gingrich hit the scene. Hillary knew what she was talking about with the vast RW cabal. They’re real. They’ve stolen 2 elections in order to stack the Supreme Court and federal benches.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2019 7:07 PM

That OP is entertained by creating threads like this and the one million anti-smoker threads, are why his family and partner will remain imaginary forever, R34.

No one wants this type of bullshit in their lives, real or on-line.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2019 7:09 PM

R35 Did your Detroit grandparents' brigade to stop blacks moving in work?

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote] R16: But [R14], weren't they equally as horrible during the Obama years? These people will always be unbearable.

No, not really. My BIL would ask me what I thought about certain things, and I’d tell him. He asked about Hillary’s emails, and my response was “Well, it’s the Republicans’ job to come up with something, and it’s an indication of how clean she is that this is the best they can do. But they have to come up with something.” And the discussion ended there, since I really wasn’t interested in hearing what he might have thought.

Otherwise, the comments were rare. But now, they are every visit, and sometimes, frequently per visit. I think Trump has emboldened people into thinking that vulgar, abominable talk and behavior is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2019 7:49 PM

Oh, my Deplorable relatives not only bring their vile opinions up unsolicited, they yell them. That’s an abusive technique meant to stifle (usually indefensible) discussion. And I hate yelling, especially at people in their own homes. I assume their understanding that I’m liberal it’s what sets them off. My very presence. So, I don’t actually have to say anything to get them started.

by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2019 8:03 PM

My mother’s entire extended family has cut me out because I’m a democrat. I remember a time when nobody discussed politics at parties or family holiday gatherings. It was all about catching up with each other and their lives. Who’s moving to FL, who’s going to college, who’s starting a new job, who’s having a baby, who’s buying a house.......never politics. I used to have so much fun with them. We’d laugh, tell jokes, try to make each other laugh. Then it became all political.

I wish I could find another fun family to be part of.

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2019 8:12 PM

R41 ironically no, and the area they moved to in Cleveland Heights is now total ghetto ghetto and the are in Shaker Heights that they lived in is not ghetto but almost all black.

by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2019 10:57 PM

Leftists are the ones constantly injecting Trump into heretofore apolitical discussions.

by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2019 11:04 PM

Not in my family, R46.

But DataLounge “threads” are family discussions, so it’s not even relevant.

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2019 11:15 PM

OP = Vanessa Trump

by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2019 11:16 PM

Tell her on Facebook so tons of people can see it. You are a total attention whore I assume.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2019 11:22 PM

R34 if you've got to have a family, imaginary is the best kind.

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2019 11:42 PM

OP you are a horrible horrible person. I hope you get pancreatic cancer and you die. I hope that brat fucking child of yours has to go live with the grandparents molest the kid and subject it to satanic rituals.

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2019 11:53 PM

Thanks nice, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2019 8:36 PM

Seriously, OP, IA to just tell her that her grandparents are not nice people and that what they want in life is bad for everyone and the country and leave it at that. Keep her away from them as you would from any bad people.

Wow, total psycho at R51.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2019 8:51 PM

I wouldn’t go as far as R53. Perhaps they will learn something, and change.

The thing that is important to me is this: assuming Trump loses his mind or defects to Russia or otherwise clearly betrays the country in a way that 95%+ people recognize, I will ask my Deplorable relatives to identify who it was that told them that the man was qualified and a patriot? When we get to the fact that it was Fox, Hannity, Ingram, Limbaugh, and so forth, I will stress that as long as they continue to watch this people, they haven’t learned anything. They continue to trust the people who lied to them, who were incompetent, who advocated for a man uniquely unqualified for the Presidency and who was a traitor - something most of us knew before he was elected. I’d tell them it’s a cult, and as long as they remain in the cult, nothing is going to change.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2019 9:26 PM

Why do liberals hate people?

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2019 9:57 PM

OP, you're dreaming. Your relatives are never going to change or see the truth about Trump. There is nothing he can do that will turn his supporters against him, NOTHING! If trump murdered your child in front of them they would still believe he is the best thing to happen to them.

Trump's base has been brainwashed. They are part of a cult and a cult so ingrained in them that even deprogramming wouldn't work. These people have to be out of your life forever. They will not change and they will just spread their poison to a young impressionable mind.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2019 12:04 AM

R56, I still have hope. Trump is a lunatic. He may well completely crack up in public in that embarrassing way that causes people to discreetly slink ought of the room. Perhaps Putin will expose him with a release of emails and recordings. We shall see. But remain hopeful.

Some will stick with him, but maybe just 20%. Think of Nixon. He opened-up Russia and China and played them against each other. He had considerable accomplishments in domestic affairs, too. Trump has a poorly received tax cut. That’s really it. He may well have a sizable recession a year from now, too. So, let’s see!

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2019 12:18 AM

R55 have you met people? Oy gewalt!

by Anonymousreply 58April 24, 2019 12:22 AM

The entirety of Fox News sponsors need to be boycotted and James And Laughlin Murdoch should be buried in SNAIL MAIL, not electronic petitions, calling them out for destroying American families. Bury their offices in millions of tangible pieces of mail

by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2019 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!