Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert DeNiro is an grossly over-rated actor

He is no chameleon, not having played a wide variety of characters. He is limited.

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2019 3:03 PM

I'll agree with you on that, even though I still love him. But he did transform a little for Raging Bull.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2019 1:43 PM

I think he is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2019 1:46 PM

He was actually excellent in THE INTERN and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2019 1:50 PM

is a grossly over-rated actor.

Don't hurt my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2019 1:55 PM

He's TERRIBLE at comedy.

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Wonder why he never got that mole removed off his face. GROSS

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2019 1:57 PM

Most actors who get a ton of praise for a long period are overrated (and I would include DDL and Streep on the list).

He showed much more range earlier in his career in films like BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY, 1900, THE LAST TYCOON, GODFATHER 2, NEW YORK NEW YORK, TRUE CONFESSIONS, TAXI DRIVER, and KING OF COMEDY.

But he got typecast in gangster roles and then, due to his ongoing gambling addiction, wound up taking a lot of money jobs that trashed his reputation. He's still respected, but with reservations. I generally like him when he's not overacting.

Unlike Pacino, he never really made any mark in theater. De Niro did one play on Broadway years ago and got middling reviews.

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2019 2:39 PM

Whatever, Mr. Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2019 2:49 PM

Has he ever done anything on the stage? That's the real test of a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2019 3:02 PM

As R7 noted, he did a Broadway play. It was called Cuba and His Teddy Bear, and played a limited run (@ 8 weeks) in 1986. Also starred Ralph Macchio and Burt Young. All three were making their Broadway debuts. Reviews were meh.

The only other stage project that I'm aware of his co-directing (with Jerry Zaks) the musical of A BRONX TALE.

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2019 3:07 PM

I loved his performance in The Deer Hunter. Probably his best performance.

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2019 3:35 PM

Face it, Dorothy. Robert De Niro is limited.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2019 3:28 AM

[quote]He's TERRIBLE at comedy.

Charles Grodin tickled his funny bone in Midnight Run. They were great together.

And I like his mole,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2019 3:42 AM

He's not a chameleon, but if I like what he's capable of within his range.

I actually think he's hilarious as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2019 3:54 AM

I meant that I like what he's capable within his range.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2019 3:54 AM

Hey Al,

At least I didn't sell my ass like a cheap whore.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2019 3:56 AM

But Bobby, we were in heat together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2019 3:59 AM

He does all supporting character parts these days - obviously for the quick money.

An actress who worked with him in a movie said that he couldn't wait to get his part over with then disappeared from the set, never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2019 4:03 AM

He was great for 20 years then started phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2019 4:05 AM

He was in a league of his own up until the early/mid 90s when he just stopped caring and started doing stuff soley for the money.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2019 4:12 AM

He's done so many crappy movies the last 20 years that people have forgotten he was one of the best, if not the best, actors of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2019 4:13 AM

Yeah, at some point he just became like Al Pacino, Nic Cage, and just started doing less interesting parts and started phoning it in.

But Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Raging Bull, King of Comedy, Once Upon a Time in America, Midnight Run and Goodfellas - all great performances.

He was also wonderful in Awakenings.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2019 5:04 AM

De Niro said yes to a number of crap films because 1) his wife was spending all his dough on her business ventures, and 2) to pay for their autistic son's care.

Alledgedly, he told his wife Grace, "I wouldn't have to keep making shitty movies if you didn't spend all my money!"

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2019 6:20 AM

Totally concur. I find Pacino to be more compelling. DeNiro would have NEVER done films like Cruising or Dog Day Afternoon.

And I don't consider playing a sexually ambiguous, cross dressing pirate a "risky" role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2019 12:23 PM

I thought he was great in The Mission.

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2019 12:28 PM

Omg! yes, op, yes!

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2019 12:31 PM

I saw Cuba and His Teddy Bear and De Niro was fucking awful in it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2019 12:47 PM

He gave up

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2019 5:05 PM

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2019 1:21 AM

What kind of a title is "Cuba & His Teddy Bear"? Sounds awful and conjures up hilarious images.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2019 1:32 AM

Quentin knew what he was doing when he cast him in Jackie Brown,. Orell said what we were all thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2019 1:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2019 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2019 1:43 AM

I don't really watch his movies, but I have seen him on talk shows, he just sits there looking grumpy or uninterested. I don't get why he even goes onto these talks shows if he's not actually going to bother to talk.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2019 1:45 AM

OP is a dumb, tasteless cunt who knows nothing about acting or film.

Other than that, OP is a fucking genius!

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2019 2:05 AM

R7, Daniel Day Lewis is not overrated.

Streep, perhaps. Depends on who is doing the rating.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2019 2:09 AM

DDL is very much overrated! It's because he does few projects and takes breaks in between that you don't hear that often from/about him. But whenever he has a new project, all the critics are up his ass!

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2019 1:02 PM

But so are Rose and Blanche

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2019 3:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!