Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fiona Apple: I'm listening to her right now

Is she a DL fave? Hadn't heard a song in a couple years, I came across this and had forgotten how much I loved her, and how unique I thought she was.

Any other fans around here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 24, 2019 12:58 AM

Love that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2019 6:12 AM

She's quite the damaged genius. We'd get along swimmingly.

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2019 6:13 AM

Is she the one who sings that monotonous, incantatory song about how she is doing this, then doing that? God, I hate that song.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2019 6:22 AM

I don't like her music but I like her. She's brought up the other end of body shaming you never hear about when people continually harass you about how skinny you are.

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2019 6:30 AM

Yes, R3. Because we can all figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2019 6:31 AM

She is genius! I listen to "Why try to change me now" whenever I feel down. Her albums are a rarity in that you can olay them from start to finish without skipping a track. No filler, all great! Loved her since 5th grade and "Criminal". I'm a HUGE fan, can't say enough great things!

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2019 6:34 AM

Physically, she always seemed like the music version of Angelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2019 7:12 AM

Yes , OP, one of my favs from my high school years and she still holds up well. Puts on a great show, too. Her random video Q&As she's been posting on social media are a lot of fun, too. Despite all her anxiety and dark shit, she has a sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2019 7:42 AM

R8 Thanks for that post. I had no idea....

Dumb question: She really is beautiful isn't she? Sometimes I tend to find people attractive that others don't necessarily think are. I'm gay, but every once in awhile I come across some woman who I think might have changed me. Fiona is one.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2019 7:52 AM

She's very good looking. Her father is Brandon Maggart, who was in that comedy series about 30 years ago called "Brothers," where one if the brothers--Paul something--is gay.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2019 8:27 AM

That video is magnificent.

My husband really loves her music. It’s not my cup of tea, but I hear the talent. Her lyrics can be harrowing, very potent and very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2019 8:28 AM

Does anybody know if she's bipolar? I figure she has to be, but I don't know if she ever officially proclaimed it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2019 4:55 PM

R12 never heard of such a thing. I know she is super raw sensitive. Intelligent. Was married to a french photographer (no one knows his name). I have loved her since day 1. Met her once during the When the pawn tour. I know she has struggled with her weight. I hoped album 5 would drop before I turned 40 this year lol!!!

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2019 5:35 PM

The unreleased version of Extraordinary Machine made me a fan. It's much better than the one they eventually released. It makes me wonder how other artists would sound before the production/marketing machine takes over.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2019 5:40 PM

That's Jon Brions version. The other released version is Mike Elizondos. I was involved in the misguided free fiona campaign. I love her music so much. It has gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life. She truly is such a beautiful woman. She has a darkness to her that I find attractive. I love her cover of Jolene and it slays all others. Her show on VH1 with Elvis Costello, especially "I want you" is one of the best shows I have seen and watch it once a year.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2019 5:45 PM

R13 I don't think she ever stated it publicly, but she displays all the signs: Incredibly sensitive, emotional mixed with extraordinary talent. Innovative in a way that harkens back to other brilliant minds who were later revealed to be bipolar. It's not necessarily a bad thing. With many, it's what enables them to explore their amazing gifts.

Anyway, it's just my suspicion.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2019 5:45 PM

Extraordinarily talented. Have admired her songwriting and singing since Tidal. Stumbled across this video the other night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2019 5:45 PM

R14, R15 Can either of you provide a link to the unreleased? Extraordinary Machine is my favorite of all her albums. I'd love to hear the alternate version. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2019 5:47 PM

Love her, thanks OP, will listen to her tonight. Other than her music, her versions of Why try to change me now” and Walk a little faster” are great

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2019 5:50 PM

Very few Beatles covers are as good as the original, but her cover of Across the Universe is exceptional. It's hypnotic....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2019 6:12 PM

R15 - I believe I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad Fiona scrapped the Jon Brion version. And, I say that as a huge Jon Brion fan -- used to catch his wonderful shows at the original Largo in LA where guests (like Fiona) would join him on stage and loved his prior work with Fiona, Rufus etc. But, I think Jon's (lovely) arrangements became a bit too floral over the course of that recording and they overwhelmed a lot of the songs. Yes, his arrangements/production are prettier than the final album, but I think there's something to be said for the hard, flintiness of what Mike Elizondos did with the material. It let Fiona and her songcraft be the true leads whereas the prior version almost sounded like "JON BRION & HIS ORCHESTRA PRESENT MISS FIONA APPLE".

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2019 6:14 PM

She’s wonderful, and deeply damaged in a way that makes for incredible music. I believe she’s battled anorexia most of her life. “Never is a Promise” will always be one of my favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2019 6:24 PM

R18 I have an actual physical copy, it's a bootleg, and I paid 65 bucks for it. From Japan. Can't find a vendor who carries it at all now, but it is in the directory at Discogs. I absolutely prefer the original version for Red Red Red, O'sailor, and especially Not About Love. I can't believe I still have this link, it's been out there since 98 and hasn't been updated for Idler Wheel era. But this place is amazing. I went on Discogs and purchased any import, deluxe edition, and cd maxi single of hers I could, she is an absolute must in my house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2019 6:59 PM

reddit had some links to the earlier version. not sure if the files are still downloadable. Early on Fiona herself was giving it away. Since the official has been released it might be illegal to do that now.

by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2019 7:00 PM

R24 That isn't true. She has claimed many times she didn't want it out there at all. Jon has stated he and one of his sound guys has put it out in the ether.

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2019 7:03 PM

Sebs archive used to have a different name for the site before it was archived and mirrored. I believe it was called Fiona.riot. and required a password.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2019 7:06 PM

I adore her. Her music got me through some difficult times. My favourite songs from each album:

Tidal: "Criminal", "Never Is a Promise", "Pale September"

When the Pawn: "Paper Bag", "Fast as You Can", "I Know"

Extraordinary Machine: "Tymps" (although a lot of other fans dislike it), "Oh Well", "Waltz"

The Idler Wheel: "Valentine", "Werewolf", "Hot Knife"

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2019 7:52 PM

PT Anderson is the one who got away

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2019 7:56 PM

She would be a good subject for "what do they do all day" thread about celebrities who haven't produced any work in a while.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2019 8:08 PM

I wonder if she would have done as well if she were a new artist in 2019. Some SJW would probably bitterly complain, what's this privileged white girl have to bitch about?

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2019 9:26 PM

What would Fiona Apple fans on here consider her best album?

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2019 10:22 PM

This site is ran by a friend of hers, she does not personally use social media. Also, my favorite albums (it's a tie) When the Pawn and The Idler Wheel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2019 10:56 PM

Loved her first three albums, was kinda meh on the last one.

Record companies suck these days and she'll probably never make another album, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote] What would Fiona Apple fans on here consider her best album?

The first two are my favorites - her debut album was quite something.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2019 10:59 PM

In the shalow la la la ow

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2019 11:05 PM

When the Pawn... is probably her most consistent album, but all four are great.

I wonder if she's ever recorded a full-length version of "Container"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2019 11:10 PM

My favorite FA song, "The First Taste," is the first track on the April 1997 GAP In-Store Playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2019 11:15 PM

R31, I’d say “Tidal,” the first album. Here she is with Elvis Costello with “I Want You.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2019 11:22 PM

Love Fiona Apple! Her debut album is incredible, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2019 11:25 PM

Best Album(s) - It's a tie between "When the Pawn..." and "Extraordinary Machine" in my opinion. But they are all great and all can be played from beginning to end without skipping a track. My least favorite is the "Idler Wheel" but it's still an excellent album, but not as good compared to her other three albums. I get the feeling she may never release another album, which would be a shame. There is an acoustic version of "Fast as You Can" from a live performance with her longtime producer Jon Brion and Chris Thile killing it on the mandolin, one of my fave performances ever. I wish I could have been there. I wish she was better at advertising her smaller live performances at club Largo and the like. I would definitely fly into LA just for that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2019 11:32 PM

OP here. Extraordinary Machine is my favorite. For me, the first two albums were like previews. Very, very good, lots of potential to come. EM was the payoff. Everything building to a crescendo that was EM. Just like the construction of her best songs.

My favorite track is Not About Love. Incredibly powerful and sophisticated. I never get tired of listening to the entire album.

Oddly, it was months after release before I got to see the video of NAL she did with Zach Gallif.... I didn't care for it.

by Anonymousreply 41March 4, 2019 12:14 AM

I love her, I think I like Extraordinary Machine the best. I don't think there is any current artist that is like her, it's all manufactured crap today sadly.

by Anonymousreply 42March 4, 2019 12:37 AM

Fiona's speaking the truth at the MTV Award/Grammy's, which derailed her career.

by Anonymousreply 43March 4, 2019 1:29 AM

I love Fiona's music but thought she was a cunt for her shady attitude towards Tori Amos.

by Anonymousreply 44March 4, 2019 1:46 AM

R44 Tori Amos and her phscyobable music is shit. And she wasn't the only one to shade that balding red headed druid princess from the woods. Also that was 1997.

by Anonymousreply 45March 4, 2019 1:50 AM

I love Tori and Fiona. They should make up and do a duet.

by Anonymousreply 46March 4, 2019 4:14 PM

Are there any good Fiona b-sides or rarities? I only know her albums.

by Anonymousreply 47March 4, 2019 6:04 PM

I think "Dull Tool" (from the soundtrack of This Is 40) is the only original song of hers that she didn't put on an album, R47. She's also recorded quite a few covers for soundtracks and compilations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 4, 2019 6:09 PM

This song wasn't on any of her albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 4, 2019 6:22 PM

i adore her. Her albums (especially the first two) were instant classics. I couldnt believe that such a young, tiny girl, could write, play and sing such incredible songs. I remember all the drama around her third album, and i still think that the Brion version (i found it in mp3 on the web, it sounds like 100 years ago) was better than the official release. Her covers are also wonderful. Hope she records new material soon.

by Anonymousreply 50March 4, 2019 6:30 PM

this impromptu cover of After you've gone is also beautiful. And she looks gorgeous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 4, 2019 6:32 PM

I though the whole MeeToo and Trump events would inspire her to make an album.

by Anonymousreply 52March 4, 2019 6:38 PM

R46 that is an awful idea.

by Anonymousreply 53March 4, 2019 7:23 PM

R49, it's on the This is 40 soundtrack, available on lp cd and mp3. It's out there. Some good b sides are: after you've gone away, river stay away from my door, I walk a little faster, why try to change me now,angel, sitting in limbo, she did a cover of a McCartney song with The Roots that's easy to find on youtube, I want you, shabby doll,paper moon, pure imagination, Sally's song, Jolene, so sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 54March 4, 2019 7:29 PM

The things Fiona dislikes about Tori are the things Fiona herself does......

by Anonymousreply 55March 4, 2019 7:34 PM

I just found the Jon Brion produced on You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 56March 4, 2019 8:42 PM

Love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 4, 2019 8:43 PM

Sorry, meant to post it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 4, 2019 9:13 PM

she does a good version of Across the Universe. Also Angel, the Hendrix song.

by Anonymousreply 59March 4, 2019 9:49 PM

I own a fapple

by Anonymousreply 60March 4, 2019 9:57 PM

Poor Fiona, I remember her "this world is bullshit" speech at the MTV music video awards like it was yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 61March 4, 2019 10:08 PM

She looked like death at a concert a few years back. I hope she's gotten help.

by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2019 11:50 PM

R61, she is fine, she gets noms each time she releases an album. And the Whack Tori fan should give it a damn rest. Nobody is checking for her.

by Anonymousreply 63March 5, 2019 7:10 AM

I like her and I like her music and I like her politics and I like these strange little videos she's been sharing. But she still seems majorly mentally ill and like she'd be a horrific friend. She posted a weepy shout out to Sinead O'Connor after the latter shared that bizarre video of herself stoned out of her mind and threatening suicide in a New Jersey motel. And I thought that's probably going to be Fiona in 15 years but Sinead had a lot more crossover appeal. I just don't think things end particularly well for Fiona.

by Anonymousreply 64March 5, 2019 7:20 AM

She wouldn't have been signed if it were not for Amos, but she owes her nothing for that. Amos is a vastly superior talent to Apple, in terms of lyricist and pianist and general songwriting. But Apple succeeded by only release high quality records with a long span in between each album , making her albums special and an event, where Amos released a continuous line of terrible, terrible records all through the 00s, even her last album Native Invader comes nowhere close to the Idler Wheel.

by Anonymousreply 65March 5, 2019 12:36 PM

"So Sleepy" is another great track that was never on any of her albums. The lyrics are silly, but I believe they were written by children for a charity album.

by Anonymousreply 66March 6, 2019 2:43 AM

Fiona fans - What is your favorite non-single track from any of her albums? Without a doubt,.mine is "Carrion" from Tidal. It has a very other worldy quality to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 6, 2019 3:01 AM

R67 - LOVE that track. It's hard to believe she was just 17 when she wrote the album and 19 when it came out. Definitely an old soul. Beyond her songcraft and raw vocals, Jon Brion's production was so good -- I loved his use of the Chamberlin, which, I believe was the first sampling keyboard, invented in the 40s or 50s. It really adds to Carrion's uniqueness.

by Anonymousreply 68March 6, 2019 6:46 PM

It would be wonderful if Fiona released the Brion demos in lossless format (plus new versions of the title track, "Waltz" and "Parting Gift"). Unfortunately, there's not much chance of that happening in the next century - reading between the lines in interviews, she didn't like what Brion did with those songs, but didn't want to outright say that as he's her friend.

I think both versions of Extraordinary Machine have their strengths and weaknesses. The only song that I think was completely butchered by Elizondo was "Better Version of Me" (ironic, given the title). Both of the Brion versions are so fun, like music from a demented 30s Disney cartoon. The official one sounds so plastic in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2019 11:40 PM

My friend worked in the music industry when she was just getting famous. She was a major CUNT. late to everything and just a real CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2019 11:43 PM

I do love her version of "Across the Universe".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2019 11:45 PM

R69 I think Elizandos versions of "Window", "TYMPS" and "please please please" were much better. But Brions version of "Waltz" is my FAVE! 🎵If you don't have a date, celebrate! Go out and sit on the lawn and do nothing.🎵

by Anonymousreply 72March 8, 2019 1:10 AM

That said unleased "red red red" is way better than the released version

by Anonymousreply 73March 8, 2019 1:16 AM

R70 that sounds like complete and utter bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2019 6:53 PM

I prefer her brother Tim.

by Anonymousreply 75March 14, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote]I think Elizandos versions of "Window", "TYMPS" and "please please please" were much better. But Brions version of "Waltz" is my FAVE!

The version on the final album *is* Brion’s version, she didn’t re-record that.

by Anonymousreply 76March 14, 2019 7:50 PM

I still think everyone got seduced by Jon Brion's very pretty orchestral arrangements on the "original" Extraordinary Machine. Don't get me wrong... they WERE lovely, but they overpowered many of the songs. I think Fiona was dead right to take the more stripped down approach of the final cut. (and, hey, she did hold onto a couple of his original arrangements/productions). But, choosing to redo the production on most of the songs put the songcraft and the singer center stage, rather than the producer. And I say that as a big admirer of Brion's work.

by Anonymousreply 77March 14, 2019 7:52 PM

R76 Truth Thank you fellow Fi fan

by Anonymousreply 78March 14, 2019 7:52 PM

I always love the moment in "Periphery" when she sings "I don't even like you anymore at all!" so childishly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 14, 2019 8:03 PM

Fiona is recording new music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 19, 2019 1:54 AM

Exceptional talent, I saw her at the Park West in Chicago when she was touring for “Tidal”. Terrific show.

I remember seeing her on a talk show (Jimmy Kimmel, maybe?) where it was mentioned that she’d gone on the record as being a huge “Columbo” fan, and Kimmel presented her a personal note and sketch from Peter Falk. Apple was thrilled, and it was endearing to see.

There was an “E! True Hollywood Story” on Liza Minnelli which featured Fiona’s mother, Diane McAffee — she was in a Broadway show with Minnelli. I was struck at how bubbly she was — not at all what I expected from the mother of Fiona Apple!

by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2019 5:07 AM

Eww, it was Carson Daly, not Jimmy Kimmel! But her genuine delight at her Columbo gift was charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2019 11:32 AM

Never is a promise is my favorite off of Tidal- with Carrion a close second.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 19, 2019 1:02 PM

Mistake is my favorite track off of when the Pawn- with limp being a close second

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 19, 2019 1:08 PM

Oh Sailor and Waltz are my favorite songs on Jon brions version of Extraordinary Machine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 19, 2019 1:20 PM

Valentine and Werewolf are my favorites off Idler Wheel. However I love ALL Fiona Apple songs. I was in 9th grade when Tidal came out and she changed my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 19, 2019 1:22 PM

What a weirdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 19, 2019 1:30 PM

Actual full name of her second album:

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

by Anonymousreply 88March 19, 2019 1:32 PM

Steve had the right attitude about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 19, 2019 1:36 PM

I always thought she was gorgeous. Beautiful soulful eyes and pouty. It’s too bad about her weight issues. She looks sickly.

by Anonymousreply 90March 19, 2019 1:35 PM

My favorite Fiona Apple moment of all time was at the 2000 Oscars ceremony. At the time, she was dating Paul Thomas Anderson who was nominated for the screenplay for Magnolia. When someone else's name was announced as the winner, it looked like Fiona was going to either cry or have a breakdown.

First watch her brief reaction at the 1:56 mark when the winner is announced. She closes her eyes as if she's suddenly in deep pain and shakes her head in disbelief. But even better is her body language at the 3:02 mark where she looks as though literally nothing in the world is as tragic as this moment as she tries to comfort PTA, who seems to be handling the loss just fine.

Drama queen!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 19, 2019 3:27 PM

R87 She isn't weird, you are just super stupid.

by Anonymousreply 92March 19, 2019 3:54 PM

Fiona Apple - Sleep To Dream [1996]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 19, 2019 9:39 PM

Pretentious AF

by Anonymousreply 94March 19, 2019 11:40 PM

That Oscar clip was hysterical, was she looking to get hired for some role? Drama Queen is right!

by Anonymousreply 95March 19, 2019 11:48 PM

You do know she's part African?

"Born and raised on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City in 1977, Apple is the daughter of singer Diane McAfee and actor Brandon Maggart, who met when both were cast in the Broadway musical Applause. Her father is from Tennessee, and through him, Apple has Melungeon ancestry."

"Melungeon is a term traditionally applied to one of numerous "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern United States. Historically, Melungeons were associated with the Cumberland Gap area of central Appalachia, which includes portions of East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and eastern Kentucky. Tri-racial describes populations thought to be of mixed European, African and Native American ancestry. Although there is no consensus on how many such groups exist, estimates range as high as 200."

by Anonymousreply 96March 19, 2019 11:51 PM

Her sister, Maude Maggart, has a lovely voice. She recorded a concept album with Brett Spiner from Star Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 24, 2019 12:45 AM

She’s brilliant.

Somehow I got an mp3 of “Container” and listened to it constantly. I wish it were longer.

by Anonymousreply 98March 24, 2019 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!