Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pillows

Where do you buy your pillows for sleep? I have never been able to find a genuinely great pillow that suits what I need, and that lasts. I've tried them all from down to memory foam, and I've even ordered the 'mypillow' from the infomercial, and they've all let me down. What brand/company do you recommend.

by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2020 9:57 AM

Queen latex pillows at jc penny online..expensive but last, also have regular size but not as high for the head. They are springy..I didn’t like my pillow. Look for a sale and u can return it to the store if u don’t love.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2019 1:07 AM

I have a regular cheapish hard pillow from IKEA and put a firm sofa cushion on top of it.

I too have had problems and have tried all sorts.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2019 1:09 AM

OP, have you ever considered a pine needle mattress?

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2019 1:09 AM

It’s a big difference if you’re a side sleeper, stomach or back sleeper.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2019 1:19 AM

I was in the same boat until I bought a couple of memory foam pillows and I just love them but since you have already tried that have you considered not using a pillow? Try a blanket folded up so it is about the height of a pillow.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2019 1:40 AM

OP, have you tried a hammock?

OP, have you ever heard of decapitation?

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2019 1:43 AM

The mypillow guy is a scumbag. Loves trump and Sarah palin amongst others. Also was involved in some shady business

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2019 2:36 AM

The Mypillow douche (Mike Lindell, sp?) ALSO makes a show of wearing a cross around his neck. You know, because he's on the side of Jesus, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2019 2:47 AM

R4 Many people change sides while they sleep. I start on my side, but end up on my back.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2019 2:52 AM

I’ve had horrible neck/shoulder pain for years. Bed Bath & Beyond is good about returns and has a pretty good selection. Last year I got some relief finally when I bought a Stearns & Foster side sleeper pillow. Down alternative fill.

But everybody is different.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2019 3:16 AM

R4 yes JC Penney latex pillows are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2019 3:34 AM

Oops meant R1 not R4

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2019 3:35 AM

I buy all of my pillows at Kmart. About six weeks ago I bought a queen size ULTRA FIRM pillow by Cannon. That's probably Kmart's in house brand. The first night I slept on it I liked it right away.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2019 3:56 AM

I got some firm down pillows from Target. I like down, and these are the only ones I’ve ever bought that didn’t start off with a weird “down” smell. I also like the firmness.

They are about $40.00 each on sale, not the cheapest but also not the most expensive pillow on earth..

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2019 4:17 AM

R7 I've been trying to find a list of Celebs (actual ones) who like Trump.

So far I have: Kristy Swanson, Suzanne Summers, and Tim Allen.

People like James Woods, Rosanne, Jensen Ackles, Vince Vaughn and Jon Voight are a given.

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2019 4:20 AM

Not OP but has anyone found a pillow that is soft/springy while still being on the thin side? I sleep on my back and most pillows with any softness to them are too high for me and make my neck ache. The ones that aren't too high tend to be hard, or compress down to being hard very quickly.

For some reason I often want things that don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2019 4:32 AM

I like soft to medium down pillows. I finally broke down and had to throw out my old favorite pillow because there was not much left to it. I bought this on a whim at Target and surprisingly I like it a lot. It might be a little too high for you, R16.(?) I am a side sleeper and like to scrunch up the pillow below me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2019 4:39 AM

Yeah r17, too high. Thanks though!

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2019 6:32 AM

When pillows get too used or flattened I buy two more from Costco. They’re usually pretty good quality and usually not too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2019 6:39 AM

I would like to say I can't believe some of the prisspots on here, but I can in regards to pillows. You can usually find decent, comfortable, reasonably priced pillows at the big box stores. I like to use several here and there, and don't forget to sleep with one between your knees when you sleep on your side. It will help keep your spine "aligned". Google it. After awhile when the pillows start to get old, throw them out and repeat. Real simple.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2019 1:46 PM

I bought Ralph Lauren down pillows at Marshalls and they have been great for a bunch of years now.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2019 2:02 PM

I buy firm pillows from Target I keep 4 on my bed 2 old slightly flattened and 2 new ones so I can adjust the height when I sleep since I ama side and back sleeper.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2019 2:14 PM

Bed Bath & Beyonce have an okay selection

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2019 2:35 PM

At Bed Bath & Beyond the down alternative and very affordable Isotonic Indulgence pillow is magnificent. I used to LOVE these pillows, still do...but somehow bought some ordinary Ralph Lauren branded pillows from Macy's on sale for $5 each, and they're fine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2019 2:19 PM

r21 I never thought I'd see Ralph Lauren and Marshalls in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2019 3:17 PM

Before I knew about the My Pillow guy I did get one but returned it anyway. Horrible! But what one likes in pillows is so personal it 's pretty difficult to recommend one to someone else. I still am not satisfied with the one I have, but I gave up trying.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2019 3:23 PM

First, you have to decide whether you want a back sleeper or a side sleeper. They are constructed differently from each other.

What I would actually recommend if you have that much trouble is to use two different pillows and create a combination that works:

1. Back or side sleeper: either 2 backs, 2 sides, or a 1 of each

2. Memory foam, down, or down alternative: they all have different loft, as well as having different fill levels for soft, medium, and firm.

You can see just that there would be a very large number of possible combinations, but you can eliminate several based on your particular issue with comfort.

As a final note: the vast majority of women in the world walk around uncomfortable because they wear and continue to buy the incorrect bra size from habit or a misconceived notion about what "their size" is or should be. You may not be able to find the "right" pillow because you are operating under some illusion that a cheap pillow is tacky or an expensive pillow should be better or some other notions of socialization, rather than absolute comfort. Don't get pillows based on some notion of what should be the best without considering the key factors that actually make pillows comfortable for you - support, shape, sleeping position, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2019 3:35 PM

I once went to a chiropractor who said that pillows actually create an unnatural kink in the neck and aren’t good for us. He said if we must have one it’s better to rest on a totally flat/thin single one under the head and sleep with a big one between our knees. Can anyone verify or disprove?

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2019 3:51 PM

I heard that over 30 years ago R28.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2019 3:55 PM

I buy thin pillows and extra pillow cases. I use two or three pillows at a time.

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2019 4:02 PM

I can see your dirty pillows, OP. Everyone will!

—Piper Laurie

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2019 4:16 PM

Your pillow should last a lifetime if you have a good quality feather pillow, in fact, they can be passed down through generations.

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2019 4:21 PM

'I've tried them all from down to memory foam"

My pillow's memory is of me foaming and biting into it when I'm getting pounded.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote]I never thought I'd see Ralph Lauren and Marshalls in the same sentence.

In 1999, I bought a dozen sets of Ralph Lauren jacquard Estate sheets at a Marshall's closeout, something like $9.99 a sheet. They lasted twelve years. I wish I could still find those sheets.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2019 4:43 PM

Memory foam is too hot.

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2019 5:30 PM

I've tried tons pillows. The best solution I've found is the basic $10 poly fill pillow at bed bath and beyond that I replace every month or so. It loses too much loft longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2019 5:40 PM

Yep r34, I also found Ralph Lauren sheets at either marshalls or T.j. Maxx in the mid/late 90's. They were the last leopard print ones. There were extra matching pillow cases(4in all) for $5 each. Still have two of the pillow cases.

by Anonymousreply 37March 4, 2019 1:16 AM

r37 were they made in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 38March 4, 2019 1:20 AM

I took the feathers out of a defunct couch’s cushions. Then double bagged it inside pillow liners. Then a pillowcase on top. Works great!

by Anonymousreply 39March 4, 2019 2:57 AM

The pillow between the knees is a great relief if you're suffering lower back pain.

I bought a couple of Tommy Hilfiger pillows on sale at Macy's and am happy with them. They were cheap enough that I won't mind replacing them eventually. I am allergic to down, so I usually buy fiberfill pillows.

Long ago I sold linens at Macy's. Supposedly, if you buy down pillows, Hungarian down is the best.

by Anonymousreply 40March 4, 2019 5:15 AM

Get a silk filled pillow with a silk pillow case. Make sure its 100% mulberry silk throughout.

Silk has great temperature control and stays cool. It is also great for allergies and for your skin. Silk filled pillows tend to be more firm and flatter.

I seriously recommend them.

by Anonymousreply 41March 4, 2019 5:31 AM

I ordered two feather pillows and some pillowcases from the nearest Four Seasons hotel (yup, I'm that pretentious). I'm happy with my purchase.

by Anonymousreply 42March 4, 2019 5:38 AM

Sleep on them. I love a pillow.

by Anonymousreply 43March 4, 2019 5:38 AM

I had the Ralph Lauren leopard print sheets as well. Got them from Ross. The quality was very good.

by Anonymousreply 44March 4, 2019 5:39 AM

Go to BBB, and get the down alt pillows recommended upthread.

But here is the trick: cut open the pillow and take out half of the filling. Sew (or pin) it back up. Keep the hole small, you’ll be able to get half out

Most confortable pillow in history.

Don’t forget your 20% coupon.

by Anonymousreply 45March 4, 2019 6:11 AM

I bought a Miracle Bamboo pillow at Kohls and I like it a lot even though it took a few weeks for the 'foam' smell to go away. Before that, the best pillow experience I had was with an old one that I had washed to the point that the foam inside had separated into a billion pieces. It was great. Completely malleable and bunchable. Flat or fluffy, depending on whether you beat it up a bit or not. Huggable.

by Anonymousreply 46March 4, 2019 7:11 AM

R32, I have feather pillows from my grandmother when she gave up her house and moved into a retirement community. They came with monogrammed pillowcases. She probably got them as wedding presents so they're over a hundred years old.

by Anonymousreply 47March 4, 2019 7:44 AM

Coyuchi.com has some great pillows

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2020 12:53 AM

You need to buy 100% goose down pillows. They are very expensive, but they shift and change to support your neck and spine. My spinal surgeon told me they were the best, for those of us with neck support needs. Watch the label. Many down pillows are 1/2 feathers. Not the same!!

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 1:09 AM

I pray that you find Jesus, R8.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2020 1:14 AM

La Noodle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2020 1:15 AM

This is my pillow. I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2020 1:24 AM

I have Primaloft pillows from The Company Store. I like them a lot.

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2020 1:33 AM

I buy $5 pillows at Macys or Target, and use a hypoallergenic case on top of each. Replace every six months. That's ten $ a year, use the same hypoallergenic pillow case, washed.

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2020 1:34 AM

"You need to buy 100% goose down pillows."

R49, tried that. All I got was a mouth full of feathers when the damn thing exploded/disintegrated two years later. NOT worth it. If you want the natural feel, there are plenty of synthetics available at a fraction of the price, such as:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2020 1:39 AM

Order pillows from the nearest Four Seasons hotel.

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2020 2:27 AM

Don't order from My Pillow, it's run by a Trumpster shitstain

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2020 3:32 AM

I found a perfect pillow about a decade ago - the Martha Stewart line at Macy's had something called Dual Sided Sleepwise - soft on one end but with some foam inside. It has been perfect.

I bought another a few years ago, but they have sadly stopped making them.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2020 3:38 AM

German, Austrian and Swiss pillows - down.

I also but synthetic pillows that feel good and have some marketing feature - at discount home stores. They are usually great but only up to a year. Wash them once to see if they revive. if not - chuck.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2020 3:46 AM

Not trying to be trashy-bougie but because of the demographics where I live we actually get really nice stuff at our T.J. Maxx (all of the major labels end up with something that nobody bought at Niemans or Bloomingdales end up there)....I’m terms of sheets and pillows the same is true. I’ve made out with several tempur-pedic pillows there along with Sferra , Marimekko, and Natori sheets for usually less than half price. I don’t mind spending....but even I know most bedding has inflated prices.

by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2020 4:01 AM

I use two goose feathers pillows, one is dense and firm (on the bottom) and the other one is soft and fluffy ( on top) best combination.

by Anonymousreply 61March 31, 2020 4:04 AM

Has anyone used the Casper pillows they sell at Target?

by Anonymousreply 62March 31, 2020 6:32 AM

If you’re a back sleeper, memory foam is the best.

Just bought one from Temper-pedic and it’s great.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2020 6:43 AM

I tired and returned numerous pillows from BBB until I tried the Brookstone Biosense pillow (at BBB). I don't like soft pillows at all, and this one is firm with just the right amount of give. For reading, I put a biggish bamboo pillow under it. Perfect. Then I have a non-descript but muscular third pillow that's a boyfriend pillow because I'm single. Good for cuddling. Then two more pillows so that's a total of five, and no two are the same. .My bed/mattress is a moderately prided queen size from Macy's and I love it. I sleep very well btw.

by Anonymousreply 64March 31, 2020 6:54 AM

I buy pillows at TJ Maxx or Marshall’s. Prefer a nice goosedown pillow, but I do have some synthetic down alternatives for volume/aesthetics. Same for my comforter: down only.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2020 8:21 AM

First, I don't think I'd like to buy pillows at a place that allows generous returns. Those returned pillows are going somewhere and it's probably back on their shelf even if they say otherwise.

And, where do they get all the goose down for these pillows? No one eats geese. Is it really chicken or turkey feathers or something? Do they put billions of geese in dog food?

Lastly, R48, are you me? I love my Miracle Bamboo from Kohls and my much washed super squishy pillow is sitting right behind it on my bed! You're right, it's fantastic for cuddling and sinking into. If you have a poly filled pillow you aren't happy with, just wash it a hundred times until the insides crumble into wonder foam!

by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2020 8:45 AM

Meant R46, not R48.

by Anonymousreply 67March 31, 2020 8:46 AM

I really slept well in a queen size bed at a Holiday Inn with amazing pillows. I'm obviously not the only one who likes the pillows because they're selling them online. But they're expensive.

by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2020 9:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!