Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carol Channing (and others) left out of Oscar Memoriam

Not to mention Dorthy Malone, left out of 2018 with the excuse they'd get her in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 1, 2019 2:01 PM

John Gavin, Bill Paxton, too.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2019 4:22 AM

Bill Patton was left out? Well that was pretty shitty. Did Donen make kids movies?

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2019 4:24 AM

The Academy's response according to Carol Channing's publicist:

[quote] Well, she really wasn’t that important to our industry and no one in Hollywood really knows who she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2019 4:28 AM

Uncle Stanley died four days ago. The academy can't turn it around that fast

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2019 4:29 AM

But at least they honored that really important Key Grip!

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2019 4:30 AM

John Gavin was in.

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2019 4:30 AM

This year In Memorium was nothing but still photos while the orchestra played

Anyone could put that together in a couple of hours

Let’s face it - TCM’s annual year end tribute is far superior

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2019 4:36 AM

They should routinely include people who have been nominated for - or won - an Oscar. Both Carol Channing and Sondra Locke were nominees.

Reminds me of the year they didn't include Dorothy McGuire, despite her being a nominee and starring in several classic films.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2019 4:36 AM

It is beyond crazy that people like Carol Channing, who was an Academy Award Nominee, would be left out. I'm sure the Tonys will give her the respect she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2019 4:37 AM

She’s more a Broadway actress

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2019 4:38 AM

Dorthy Malone, was Oscar WINNER and they still left her out,

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2019 4:38 AM

Sadly Sondra being left out is no surprise. She had been out of the spotlight for quite some time, and she refused to let Eastwood and Warner Brothers pull a big one over on her and fought back. They worked hard at trying to ruin her career and diminish her accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2019 4:40 AM

Is the In Memoriam video tribute done by interns?

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2019 4:43 AM

No surprise, the academy kisses Clint's crusty, decrepit anus.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2019 4:43 AM

R11 yes and that is a shame as well. Oscar winners and nominees should automatically have a place in the In Memoriam segment.

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2019 4:45 AM

Carol Channing was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in 1967’s “Thoroughly Modern Mille,”

Sondra Locke was nominated for an Academy Award for her first film role in 1968’s “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter” and went on to co-star six films with Clint Eastwood.

Stanley Donen co-directed Singin' in the Rain. What's more Hollywood than that?! He also directed the classic Damn Yankees.

It's inexcusable that these three in particular would be overlooked. In addition, Channing died at 97 years old; Donen died at 94. Out of a sense of decency and respect for their ages, they should have been included in "In Memoriam." It's disgraceful that they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2019 4:47 AM

I actually thought they did a good job of it this year. A nice mix of behind the camera folks and actors. But Channing was a huge fuckup. I also feel bad that Malone got the shaft twice.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2019 4:48 AM

It's a vast right wing conspiracy

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2019 4:49 AM

Sondra Locke did a cute movie with Keith Carradine and Jennifer Tilly just the year before.

I just think they do too many technical people that no one knows and haven't worked in decades. Not that they aren't deserving, it's just that they have more technical people remembered than actors.

Bill Paxton was remembered last year, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2019 4:52 AM

[quote]I also feel bad that Malone got the shaft twice

She got Jacques Bergerac's shaft more than twice, and I'm sure that more than makes up for in memoriam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2019 4:53 AM

For tech people to be included in an Oscar Memorium for the public at large is completely idiotic especially when they leave out people like Donen, Channing and Locke. Technology has not advanced to the point where they can't add a photo the day before?

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2019 5:04 AM

Exactly r21 Here's something this dude put together over lunch. Great job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2019 5:07 AM

The Oscars "In Memoriam" last night also left out Kaye Ballard and Nanette Fabray.

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2019 5:34 AM

R22 That was great! Thank you so much.

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2019 5:50 AM

TCM really put the Oscars' to shame. Stunning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2019 5:51 AM

They also left out the great character actor Dick Miller, a favorite of many early Roger Corman movies, like Little Shop of Horrors, Not of This Earth, Bucket of Blood, The Terror, The 'Burbs, among many others. Some of these he worked in with Jack Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2019 6:00 AM

Did the Academy also leave out John Gavin?

by Anonymousreply 27February 26, 2019 6:01 AM

They overlooked David Ogden Stiers? What dumb shit put this In Memoriam together? It's a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 28February 26, 2019 6:06 AM

It was the revenge of the nerds and the AMPAS abrogated its star power for a preference to the under the line deaths.

The nerds flexed their muscle and those fucking boring and horrifically accepted awards for categories that nobody cares about were moved from commercial time to prime time.

I watch the first award, female supporting, and then watch something else for half an hour. Watching three guys with laundry lists go through quivering voices that have never made a public speech was anger inspiring.

I liked when they killed the lights but left the mike hot as the jerk did not get the point. The mike was not left hot another time.

by Anonymousreply 29February 26, 2019 6:16 AM

Mini-Me wasn't in? I don't believe this!

by Anonymousreply 30February 26, 2019 3:43 PM

R6, I didn't see John Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 31February 26, 2019 3:44 PM

And yet they include every publicist who ever answered a phone.

by Anonymousreply 32February 26, 2019 3:51 PM

I'd rather remember John Gavin this way.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 26, 2019 3:52 PM

I loved Kaye Ballard

by Anonymousreply 34February 26, 2019 3:58 PM

Not only did they leave out John Gavin, but also Clint Walker as well They managed to give two shots to Tab Hunter however. They also left out Patricia Morison, Dewey Martin and Jerry Maren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 26, 2019 4:22 PM

at the least the guy said something of the effect of ' of course we cannot mention everyone' or some such shit to avoid families being outraged their person was left out.

still, i did not know half the people they put up there....

....i'm with the guy who said stunt people need to be recognized as well...in general, not in memoriam BUT: Remember Heidi Von Beltz? She wrote My Soul Purpose. She was paralyzed for life on a burt reynolds movie, Cannonball Run, well she wasn't doing any running after THAT.........she was involved afterwards with Ray Chantix Liotta....amazing and very sad story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 26, 2019 4:28 PM

they should overhaul this entire show.

No host. All you are allowed to say upon receiving your Oscar is, thank you. You can see the joy in their eyes and no one cares about all the people being thanked except the ones being thanked. That can be done privately. I would much rather see a list of all the ones that have passed with maybe a written list next to their photo of accomplishments. I would rather see a longer period of time of being able to see people's outfits. I like when they show us what they will be eating and the set up for it. I like to see what they are getting in their goody bags. All the time is wasted on "I want to thank"

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2019 4:30 PM

TCM's in R25 was much better than the Academy's.

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2019 7:03 PM

Are the people who make up these segments 25 years olds? Who cares if you can see these people on a website. They deserve a few seconds of recognition on the show. That's what matters if you are going to show respect to deceased actors.

Every single year they manage to pull off some real doozies. And it's such a herculean task to add somebody the day before. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2019 7:03 PM

[quote]The academy can't turn it around that fast

It can't be much more than a PowerPoint presentation.

by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2019 7:22 PM

I have a soft spot for Channing so I feel like them leaving her out was a shitty move; besides being just a cool gal who probably should have been mentioned, it feels akin to not inviting your grandma to your wedding because she just wouldn't fit in with your younger friends.

Piggy-backing off someone above, I feel it's gotten to the point where the ceremony no longer holds the interest of the public in general (I actually had no idea it was on and completely missed it). Hollywood is far too vast at this point for the average person to care about the industry as a whole and, really, the general public only really cares/knows about the actors and actresses from the films they viewed. It might be better to just skip the whole published, live event format and just make it a private, mostly un-televised production. And then the morning after news/online pubs can showcase bits and pieces of the night. But truly, I don't know of a single person under 40 who actually gives a hoot about this thing. Personally I see the Academy as a sorta-rich people's club that presents themselves to the public under this impression that the vast majority of people are tuning in with eyes glued to the TV in fascination when, in fact, few really care. And based on a lot of the clothing worn this year by the celebrities, it looks as if the whole ceremony has gone straight up its own behind.

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2019 7:30 PM

It does seem pretty antediluvian at this point. Very much Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton.

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2019 7:44 PM

Channing's publicist needs a valium the size of a GOLF BALL:

“I am inconsolably heartsick that the Motion Picture Academy would ignore one of its own members and an Academy award nominee, Carol Channing, in the in memoriam,” he wrote. “I texted a colleague of mine over at the Academy, to inquire how this could happen. In what may have been a miss guided (sic) attempt to soften the blow, I received the response that … “Well, she really wasn’t that important to our industry and no one in Hollywood really knows who she was.” WTF?!?!?!?!?”

“It’s inexcusable,” he continued. “I’m sitting here talking to Michael Learned, Loretta Swit, George Chakiris, Margaret O’Brien, Roslyn Kind and numerous other Academy members who are all simply stunned that Carol Channing would be ignored by the industry that she dedicated her life, and she fervently fought for and believed in.”

MARY!

First of all, when did she 'dedicate her life' to the Motion Picture Industry?

Secondly, sorry if the truth hurts Harlan, but they're right. She WASN'T that important to the film industry. Period.

by Anonymousreply 43February 26, 2019 9:20 PM

Carol originates two of the most legendary roles in Broadway musical history, then gets passed over by Hollywood to immortalize both of them on film and now this.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]Piggy-backing off someone above, I feel it's gotten to the point where the ceremony no longer holds the interest of the public in general (I actually had no idea it was on and completely missed it).

I didn't watch either, and haven't for a few years. No specific reason, I just can find other ways I'd prefer to fill 3-4 hours of my time.

However, one thing struck me as I scrolled through Wikipedia to see who won (and if I'd even recognize the names) and who was presenting - there aren't very many "movie stars" any more. I mean, we all know who Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are, and yes they've made movies... but are they movie stars? Is Serena Williams a movie star? Constance Wu, Alison Janney? If you told me these were the Emmy presenters, I'd totally buy it. But I grew up in the era when Henry and Jane Fonda were featured, or Gene Hackman, Paul Newman, Jessica Lange, etc.

I'd argue that today, TV and TV actors are more famous and more celebrated than movie actors, and for the most part the line between movie and TV has disappeared. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing... but it definitely makes The Academy Awards seem more pedestrian, and nothing like the event it once was.

by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2019 9:32 PM

CLearly the Academy is now run by clueless snowflakes. They need to be beaten about the head with a showbiz history book.

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2019 9:38 PM

They wouldn't know Carol Channing if they were forced to watch Thoroughly Modern Millie like a torture out of A Clockwork Orange.

by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2019 9:40 PM

Disgusting that they left off Goop Paltrow as well!

by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2019 9:50 PM

Donan should be in next year’s montage. The In Memoriam is for people who died in the previous year—just as films released in the previous year are eligible for nomination. Chuck Workman always did the best on these tributes.

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2019 10:03 PM

R49, that's incorrect. The gentleman stated: "We also pause to honor those artists who have left us since our last ceremony." For instance, Albert Finney was in, who passed on 2/07/2019.

by Anonymousreply 50February 26, 2019 10:30 PM

Dorothy Malone as noted died on Jan 19th 2018. She was not included in the 2018 or the 2019 ceremony. In other words she was completely forgotten.

And she WON her Oscar. No mere nomination or pathetic Honorary A for Effort consolation prize.

by Anonymousreply 51February 26, 2019 10:38 PM

Does anyone think they will forget Olivia de Havilland when she passes?

by Anonymousreply 52February 26, 2019 10:41 PM

Well she's got about another 15 years so I would assume so.

by Anonymousreply 53February 26, 2019 10:44 PM

Herein lies one of reasons I stopped watching the Oscar awards. I’m surprised that the Memorial segment wasn’t cut from the show yet.

by Anonymousreply 54February 26, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]Carol Channing was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in 1967’s “Thoroughly Modern Mille,”

It should also be remembered that “Thoroughly Modern Mille" was a huge success....the ninth highest grossing film of 1967.

And that Malone was ignored is just very very ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 55February 26, 2019 10:52 PM

They were old and white. Totally off brand. Get woke, people.

by Anonymousreply 56February 26, 2019 10:56 PM

R56 Carol Channing, might have been part black.

by Anonymousreply 57February 26, 2019 10:59 PM

The SJW nerds have taken over AMPAS and, going forward, few whites will be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 58February 26, 2019 11:09 PM

In recent years, they've become very snobbish about whose deaths they recognize especially if the person who died isn't considered a "serious" actor. They didn't recognize Corey Haim and had a long list of movie credits.

by Anonymousreply 59February 26, 2019 11:15 PM

"few whites will be recognized. "

sheer extinction lurks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2019 11:19 PM

[quote] Is Serena Williams a movie star? Constance Wu, Alison Janney?

Seriously? Allison Janney WON the Oscar last year, so there would be an outcry if she weren't there.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2019 11:39 PM

Amazes me that The Academy put up, what is effectively a superfast PowerPoint presentation.

A 5 minute, artistic and creative piece, would be beautiful. This year's was just tacky.

by Anonymousreply 62February 27, 2019 12:02 AM

One of the biggest problems is that movie stars won't attend the Oscars unless they've been nominated. And most of the nominations these days tend to go to relative newcomers like winners Rami Malek, Olivia Colman, Mahershala Ali and Regina King.

Where were Meryl Streep, Will Smith, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, etc. etc????

by Anonymousreply 63February 27, 2019 12:04 AM

[quote]Technology has not advanced to the point where they can't add a photo the day before?

Yes, of course it has. But since it's airing on a national broadcast, they have to clear the rights to every picture or clip that they air. That doesn't happen overnight.

by Anonymousreply 64February 27, 2019 1:16 AM

I'd have rather seen a longer Memorium segment than have to sit through Lady Fuckface and her caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 65February 27, 2019 1:37 AM

[quote]Constance Wu, Alison Janney?

Yes, let's not invite the star of this year's most successful romcom and last year's Best Supporting Actress winner just because they've also appeared on TV. Newsflash! Those lines have been erased - especially for female stars. Most of the A-List these days either came from TV/Cable or have returned to it recently.

by Anonymousreply 66February 27, 2019 2:27 AM

Constance Wu fine. If you want people to watch you have to mix in big A Listers with former winners and new talent that people are actually talking about. But there were quite a few people presenting I didnt know who the fuck they were. The ratings went up slightly but it probably had a lot to do with the hit films nominated not the presenters.

by Anonymousreply 67February 27, 2019 3:05 AM

Channing was barely known in films as opposed to Bway. She was too grotesque for films anyway.

by Anonymousreply 68February 27, 2019 3:36 AM

Channing should be memorialized for just reminding the public to eat their fruit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 27, 2019 3:39 AM

[quote]Seriously? Allison Janney WON the Oscar last year, so there would be an outcry if she weren't there.

Huh? Nowhere did I suggest Janney shouldn't be a presenter. I'm simply pointing out that she is one of many participants in the program that is not considered a "movie star", which accounts for the Oscars ceremony having a very different feel from 20 or 30 years ago.

[quote]Yes, let's not invite the star of this year's most successful romcom and last year's Best Supporting Actress winner just because they've also appeared on TV. Newsflash! Those lines have been erased - especially for female stars. Most of the A-List these days either came from TV/Cable or have returned to it recently.

Again, I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be invited. And it's not a newsflash to me that the lines have been erased since I said the VERY SAME THING in my post: "for the most part the line between movie and TV has disappeared".

Do people not read here? Or has reading comprehension just gone completely out the window?

by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2019 3:44 AM

[quote]Channing was barely known in films as opposed to Bway. She was too grotesque for films anyway.

Exactly. She had no business being memorialized at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2019 3:59 AM

John Gavin had major roles in at least three movies that are each considered major or minor classics in their genres -- PSYCHO, SPARTACUS, and THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE -- so the fact that he was not included in the "In Memoriam" segment is quite shocking. And I agree that Channing should have been included on the basis of her Oscar nomination for TMM. It would be fine with me if the Academy had a rule that anyone who had ever received even a single Oscar nomination in any category should be included in the segment when they pass. When you think about it, not THAT many people have been nominated over the decades, and that rule in itself wouldn't glut the segment.

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2019 4:00 AM

Who exactly picks who gets included in the In Memoriam segment and who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote]Donan should be in next year’s montage. The In Memoriam is for people who died in the previous year—just as films released in the previous year are eligible for nomination.

R49. I wholeheartedly disagree. The movies nominated can all be from the previous year. However, the In Memoriam " segment should include anyone who died up until the day of the Oscars. Yes, that means being adaptable and editing the videotape in case there are any deaths at the last minute. It's not like the Oscars broadcast are on a strict deadline to end the show. This year's Oscars went on for three hours and 10 minutes. If they had to add a few more names and photos of the people like Carol Channing, Stanley Donen and Sandra Locke, then it wouldn't kill anyone if the broadcast three hours and 11 minutes.

Besides, it would be ridiculous to acknowledge Stanley Donen, the director of Singin' in the Rain, next year when he had just died last week. Lastly and most importantly, Sandra Locke did die in Nov 2018! If we go by your rule, she should have been included In Memoriam on Sunday night--at this year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2019 4:28 AM

Who the fuck is Constance Wu?

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2019 4:47 AM

For R73, a partial answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2019 4:51 AM

Oh yeah Channing, Malone and Donen. such a terribly difficult choices. A opposed to some people that nobody knows except industry insiders and the entire nation is asking who?

John Gavin wasn't included?!!! Are they insane?

by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2019 12:15 PM

Maybe if they didn't show shots of the orchestra at the beginning and end and that intro by the Academy President with the frog neck, they could have fit in more names. Also for the broadcast, just do the actors and directors. Leave everyone else for the website.

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2019 12:49 PM

I would include hugely successful producers like those Mirisch guys. Is one of them still alive or did he die too?

Also Weinstein if he hadn't crashed and burned.

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2019 1:03 PM

Who's Carol Channing???

by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2019 1:23 PM

Thanks, R76

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2019 2:07 PM

They should at least have a complaint form that could be filled out by anyone who died yet didn't get included.

by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2019 2:09 PM

It's weird that the Oscars have recently made more attempts at diversity, yet they left Verne Troyer out of this segment.

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2019 2:42 PM

They focus on actors who are best known for their film careers. The appropriate place to honour Carol Channing is the Tony Awards. Oscar nomination or not, she was a stage star, not a movie star. She had almost no other movie credits.

David Ogden Stiers was best known for MASH, not anything he did in a movie, and appeared in the in memoriam segment of the last Emmys.

Not an appropriate inclusion — Stan Lee. Sure the movies about his characters have grossed a bazillion dollars over the last decade, and I guess he was credited as an executive producer of them, and he appeared onscreen in all of them. But he was not a movie person.

by Anonymousreply 84February 27, 2019 2:59 PM

Good point about Carol Channing: only in 5 movies, and support except for the second one.

by Anonymousreply 85February 27, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote] Not an appropriate inclusion — Stan Lee. Sure the movies about his characters have grossed a bazillion dollars over the last decade, and I guess he was credited as an executive producer of them, and he appeared onscreen in all of them. But he was not a movie person.

Well, no. Stan Lee created Marvel Comics, and like it or not (I happen to not like it, myself), his creation is the only thing keeping the movie industry afloat right now. He definitely deserves to be in there the same way Garrett Brown will when he dies.

by Anonymousreply 86February 27, 2019 4:04 PM

If Glenn passed away on Oscar night she would be forgotten by next year’s ceremony, so there’s a silver lining... or, should we say gold?

by Anonymousreply 87February 27, 2019 4:17 PM

R76, that's a good article. People may forget that they may omit not only Oscar nominees and winners for actors, but also writers, cinematographers, directors, producers, music, other behind-the-scenes crew artists.

by Anonymousreply 88February 27, 2019 6:02 PM

HOW could the Academy have overlooked the star of Skidoo and Thoroughly Modern Millie and . . . and . . . and Thoroughly Modern Millie and Skidoo?!

by Anonymousreply 89February 27, 2019 6:11 PM

You left out that western she starred in where she was the love interest of a young Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 90February 27, 2019 6:19 PM

R89, Hee Hee!! Yet they did recognize Zsa Zsa Gabor a few years back...star of "Queen Of Outer Space" and....?

by Anonymousreply 91February 27, 2019 6:33 PM

They included Zsa Zsa Gabor? Really?

Therefore there is no rhyme or reason to how they choose who to include and all their explanations makes them appear to be bigger idiots than we even thought.

by Anonymousreply 92February 27, 2019 8:44 PM

Zsa Zsa appeared in movies from John Huston's "Moulin Rouge" and Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil" in the 1950s, through "A Very Brady Sequel" in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 93February 27, 2019 9:05 PM

Racism.

by Anonymousreply 94February 27, 2019 9:15 PM

Then how do you explain Malone R93? And Gavin?

by Anonymousreply 95February 27, 2019 9:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 27, 2019 9:31 PM

I don’t R95. Clearly they should have been included.

by Anonymousreply 97February 27, 2019 9:35 PM

Poor Sondra Locke.

by Anonymousreply 98February 27, 2019 9:44 PM

They left out Roger Smith too. I know TV and Ann Margret but still more people know who he is than a number of people mentioned. He deserves it just for Auntie Mame. One of the last people of the old Hollywood contract system. And gives such a great head shot.

Watch they include Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 99February 27, 2019 9:49 PM

I bet it was Clint who suppressed both Channing and Locke. He's very powerful.

by Anonymousreply 100February 27, 2019 9:50 PM

IMDB list of people who died in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 27, 2019 9:51 PM

And those who died so far in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 27, 2019 9:53 PM

Carol and Clint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 27, 2019 10:00 PM

R41, I'm way over 40 and I don't give a shit about it anymore. It's a vestige of a long-gone Hollywood. There's a lot of good things to be said about current films, at least those that aren't franchise idiocies, but glamour ain't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 104February 27, 2019 10:13 PM

The Oscars used to celebrate Hollywood history. Now the celebrate NOW.

by Anonymousreply 105February 27, 2019 10:24 PM

Oscar winners and nominees should be included

by Anonymousreply 106February 27, 2019 10:29 PM

Honor the tech people during commercial breaks along with whatever those three clowns represented - the two gals and guy who couldn't even read their own notes.

by Anonymousreply 107February 27, 2019 10:32 PM

Dewey Martin is dead? Didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 108February 27, 2019 10:33 PM

As others have mentioned, it should be simple. Did the person receive an Oscar nomination or win during their lifetime? If so they get included, regardless of whether they are well known or not, actor, director, or behind the scenes. If they didn't receive at least a nomination, then they aren't included. Also, the Academy should ask all former nominees to provide them with a photograph for future use, so they can be included at a moment's notice.

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2019 12:24 AM

I can't imagine that anyone in Donen's family or estate would hold out on the Academy for a last minute photo request because they needed to include him. That seems insane to me.

Probably a millennial fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 110March 1, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote] Watch they include Connie Francis.

As well they should

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 1, 2019 3:17 AM

I can't believe they omitted Andre Previn.

by Anonymousreply 112March 1, 2019 3:22 AM

I'll plant my own tree, and I'll make it grow.

by Anonymousreply 113March 1, 2019 3:35 AM

You're gonna hear from me!

Dory Previn

by Anonymousreply 114March 1, 2019 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!