Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What haughty things did you do as a child?

I refused to touch the food in the school cafeteria and would loudly ask those who did if their mothers shopped at KMart.

by Anonymousreply 84March 14, 2019 9:54 PM

That’s vile.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 9:13 PM

Indeed!

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 9:14 PM

I used to hold out for the really GOOD milk carton.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 9:16 PM

I was on a transfer to a school in a poorer school district for reasons, and used the fact that my house was bigger and nicer to generate an entire ridiculous backstory of untold riches, rare statues, and jewel thieves.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 9:17 PM

I would never eat chicken that I had to “pick up with my hands” ie fried chicken, chicken wings.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 9:21 PM

Not me, but a pretentious country club classmate in 8th grade asked the cafeteria workers why they didn't "chill the salad forks". She was a hero to me for that.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 9:44 PM

I refused to drink from plastic cups and drink ware I would only drink from porcelain cups and glass ware.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 9:53 PM

My mom always said that women who made stuff like Shake N Bake and Hamburger Helper were tacky. I used to get all judgy (silently) if I I went to someone's house and they served anything less than 100% from scratch dinners.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 10:19 PM

snobs. You all sound really fucked up

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 10:22 PM

I'd ask a poorly dressed classmate if her outfit was from sacks.

She'd reply, no, it's from Sears.

Looks like it's from sacks to me, I'd reply.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 10:24 PM

Ate pizza with a fork and knife if it looked overly messy and I had on a nice outfit ⸺ drove my dad wild!

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 10:28 PM

Judged a girl for wearing wool knee socks with heeled Dr. Scholls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 11:21 PM

R11 pizza is eaten with a knife and fork in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 11:26 PM

After I was sent to the principal's office and reprimanded in 4th grade (think I'd dawdled picking up the attendance forms or something as a proctor) I was completely insulted and incensed. I marched back to my classroom, went to the cloakroom, picked up my coat and walked out without a word to anyone.. When I got home I told my mother I would not be returning to school--ever.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 11:26 PM

I would only drink out of goblets, and demanded I have formal place settings. This was habit was picked up from my very formal German grandparents. My parents struck a deal with me that I could have whatever I wanted place setting wise, if I agreed to always set the table for everyone, including my extravagant needs, and I always had to clean everything I used from the formal dining objects I was using. Seemed fair enough. I still always set my table formally.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 11:34 PM

I sprayed Lysol on my desk every morning and after recess.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 11:39 PM

OP = Niles Crane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 11:56 PM

R13, true, but we were (mostly) not in Italy when I did it.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 12:01 AM

I worked at a stockboy at K-Mart and had nothing to be haughty about.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2019 12:18 AM

When I was in kindergarten, I told my desk mate: "You talk too much." She told her mom, her mom told my mom, and my mom asked me whether I said that.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2019 3:24 AM

I made snide comments about people who wear sweat pants.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 3:29 AM

I came from a 2 parent home and turned my nose diwn at any one who didnt (i was in elementary school btw) couldn't have been more than 7 8 years old

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2019 4:04 AM

In the third grade, on the playground, I called an annoying classmate a buffoon.

I'm amazed I was never beaten up at school.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2019 4:58 AM

I always thought David Sedaris must be an outlier, but apparently not, judging from the evidence presented here.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2019 6:44 AM

I refused to go into a Sears or JC. Penney's.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2019 8:49 AM

These responses would be hilarious if they weren't actually true. Fits in perfect though with the classist, self loathing snobs on here. I can guarantee that most of these nasty, effeminate fools are into leather.

P.S. R8, you're mother is a whore.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2019 9:42 AM

I never got above my raising

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2019 10:03 AM

I once threw my bologna sandwich at the help at the club, because I ordered an abalone sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2019 10:12 AM

O.P. is young Sheldon

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2019 10:24 AM

There was only one boy in my grade 4 class who came from a 'broken home'. His mother had a 'boyfriend' which was alien to everyone's experience and quite scandalous, we ostracised him.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2019 10:26 AM

R26, you're mother is a whore? Oh, dear!

At least my mother understands proper grammar.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2019 10:30 AM

You mean like using “you’re” instead of “your,” R31?

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2019 10:31 AM

R31, I apologize. You didn’t use the quote formatting, so I attributed the error to you.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2019 10:32 AM

R26 I did not lie.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2019 10:33 AM

My toys came from FAO Schwarz, mostly from Germany. I thought television advertised toys were vulgar, and I was not shy about letting others know it.

A subset of that: I thought Barbie was a whore. Any girl who played with Barbie would not come to a good end. I wasn't shy about expressing that either.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2019 10:34 AM

Sometimes auto correct is a whore too r31.

It was also trying to force "whore" to be "who're"... Pull the stick out of your cunt.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2019 10:39 AM

I simply refused to speak to anyone who didn't turn off autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2019 10:44 AM

I not only refused to speak to them, I had Jorge the gardener go to their homes late at night, sneak in, and lop off all their hair. And one eyebrow.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2019 2:39 PM

I refused to pee in the school bathrooms because they were filthy.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2019 3:14 PM

I turned a scrape on my arm to a story about how a rare statue fell dramatically from the third floor alcove, missing me by mere inches and shattering on the porcelain tile floor and that is why I can't participate in PE this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2019 5:06 PM

I clipped out photos from movie magazines and pretended they were pictures that I took over the weekend of my movie star friends. Christ, that's sad. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2019 5:40 PM

You poor thing

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2019 5:42 PM

I imagine none of your teachers, family, or friends were surprised when you queens turned out gay

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2019 2:25 AM

That visual makes me LOL, R11.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2019 7:35 AM

None. I was a humble child.

by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2019 7:46 AM

R43, in my case , no. I did a show-and-tell in the third grade on my doll collection (fine antique dolls, not Barbie or Madame Alexander). I collected first editions of the Wizard of Oz books. If I went to the movies, it was to a revival house to see something by Busby Berkeley or Lillian Gish.

R26, I am not into leather. I am nobody's fool, and I am only nasty if I need to be.

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2019 11:56 AM

I would never be into leather. Ugh. The smell.

by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2019 11:57 AM

[41]: You think imagining movie stars were your friends was pathetic????? Where does that leave ME? I'm pushing 70 and still doing it.

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2019 12:53 PM

I'd pretend my parents were chauffeurs, and I'd sit in the back, occasionally waving like the queen of England as we drove along.

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2019 3:17 PM

I'd kiss mirrors as I passed them. Yes, I looked that good.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]I refused to drink from plastic cups and drink ware I would only drink from porcelain cups and glass ware.

[quote]I would only drink out of goblets, and demanded I have formal place settings.

I thought I was the only one who did that. We owned a very expensive, very beautiful set of imported blue cobalt wine goblets, which were only used on special dining occasions. Except in my case. The only way I'd drink my milk was if it were served in one of the cobalt goblets—and my parents actually allowed this! I wouldn't have put up with that shit for a second if I had been them, but I really was an adorable child, albeit one given to making grand entrances and exits for dramatic effect. Surprisingly, I turned out to be quite normal.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2019 6:12 PM

Did you, though?

by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2019 6:17 PM

I wore an ascot to Church and only spoke French in Sunday School Class. I was 9.

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2019 6:20 PM

I'd glide down the stairs like Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard awaiting her closeup.

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2019 2:14 AM

Thank you. We have now surpassed the inspiration for this thread. Please, carry on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2019 5:08 AM

R3 = Li'l Ina Rosenberg, a.k.a. "Pooty"

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2019 5:13 AM

As a child I wasn't comfortable wearing shirts without a collar. Luckily it was the 80s so polo shirts were readily available, but most of my classmates were slumming it in graphic t-shirts. You also never would have caught me barefoot outside the house or swimming- I detested having dirty feet!

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2019 5:53 AM

All my clothes had to be freshly pressed before I wore them when I was going out.

by Anonymousreply 58February 25, 2019 12:01 PM

I ran away from home when my parents refused to give me piano lessons. When they relented I learned my fingers were too small for the keys.

by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2019 12:42 PM

I was never allowed piano lessons, so I drew and taped together a paper keyboard, and spent years in my room pretending to play. I pestered my friends who took lessons, and tried to make them teach me things. Of course they wouldn't, because they hated taking piano. I had the same obsession with ballet, and did the same kinds of things, practicing my positions, flouncing and leaping around my room year after year. Every railing was my "barre." Pathetic, I know. (The family could have afforded it, but my mother loathed me and favored my "normal" brother.)

The haughty bit was the way, for years, I pretended I'd had lessons in both, and would sigh knowingly and compliment the efforts of other kids, as if I were a retired professional.

by Anonymousreply 60February 25, 2019 3:09 PM

My older brother always insisted we take the slow, clunky Shaker Rapid in Cleveland, but much I preferred the sleek, modern CTS Rapid when going downtown. I liked all things thoroughly modern back in the sixties!

by Anonymousreply 61February 25, 2019 3:40 PM

At Halloween, I insisted that I be able to keep my 'trick-or-treat for Unicef" money because I deserved it much more than some smelly old kids in Africa.

by Anonymousreply 62February 25, 2019 3:44 PM

[quote]What haughty things did you do as a child?

I ignored the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 63February 25, 2019 3:47 PM

I marched over to a neighbor's house and told them off. I told them it was inconsiderate to allow "the old grandmother" to walk in the neighborhood during Halloween because little kids would think she's a real witch and be traumatized. The woman was not pleased but the man was doubled over laughing.

by Anonymousreply 64February 25, 2019 4:10 PM

That's hilarious r64

by Anonymousreply 65February 25, 2019 5:52 PM

Might I have some more?

by Anonymousreply 66March 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Op & many others... did you grow out of your behaviors or are you still assholes?

by Anonymousreply 67March 4, 2019 5:54 PM

R67 is banished.

by Anonymousreply 68March 4, 2019 5:55 PM

I was mad at a teacher who was mean to me. I said to her one day, "Is it true that those who don't do, teach?"

by Anonymousreply 69March 4, 2019 6:11 PM

[quote]"Is it true that those who don't do, teach?"

Actually, I did have the quote right when I said it to her. "Those who CAN'T do, teach."

by Anonymousreply 70March 4, 2019 6:13 PM

I sucked off Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 71March 4, 2019 6:21 PM

I was mad at a teacher who was mean to me. I said to her one day, "Is it true that those who don't do, teach?" —She Had It Coming. Certain People Should Never Be Teachers Of Children

haha...that's great. Some teachers are true cunts, nothing more obnoxious than a teacher who thinks they're still in the classroom when they're not. Yes, you're sooo important because you're in charge of 30 ten year olds and dictate to them 5 days a week, but when you're outta school you're nobody, on a nobody wage.

by Anonymousreply 72March 5, 2019 6:29 AM

I sucked off Michael Jackson.

Meh, what ten year old boy didn't

by Anonymousreply 73March 5, 2019 6:31 AM

Sucking off Michael Jackson might be naughty, but it’s hardly haughty.

by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2019 7:28 PM

R17 OP wishes

by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2019 7:33 PM

I took my inspiration from the neighborhood muses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2019 7:44 PM

I once told my beloved grandmother that chunk light tuna looked and smelled like cat food. (To be fair, I was only repeating what I heard my parents say.)

by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2019 8:58 PM

I had special Jackson Pollock juice boxes. I would not share them.

by Anonymousreply 78March 7, 2019 9:33 PM

R49 I did that too. Was fun to pretend my parents were my chauffeurs and sitting in the back seat. But I drew the line at pretending to be the Queen and waving.

by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2019 9:49 PM

R26, you are correct. I'm into leather, but I tend to agree with you about the veracity of these accounts. Still, they're as funny as all hell. I love The Data Lounge.

As for me, well I can be haughty, and I remember being aghast at how the other half lived when I was a kid. A choice bon mot from yesteryear? Alas, I can remember none. But I can remember having fun with an acquaintance of my Mom, when she would call. The lady in question would ask to speak to my mother by using her first name. I would respond very haughtily, "Mrs. So and So is not available. May I take a message?" I soon had the dear lady referring to my mother by her honorific and surname.

More recently, a bank teller called me by my first name. I reeled back and responded, "Are you a close friend or relative? How dare you call me by my Christian name without my permission!" It was great fun, and the next time I came into the bank,I confessed to the teller that I was having some fun. He now calls me "Mr. So and So." And he must think of me as "That Arsehole!" Ha!!

by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2019 10:10 PM

Regarding teachers. I know quite a few of them. To the point where I was asked to participate in program reviews in different schools around the state.

One school - we were reviewing a class that was teaching kids the MS Office suite. I noted they were doing a payroll sheet and they had a crib sheet given them by the teacher for the taxes etc.

I asked the teacher if they were ever going to cover entering a formula in a cell (They were using Excel) or perhaps even some VBA? What the teacher said floored me, "Oh that's computer programming and you need advanced math for that." I duly noted this comment in my report and said "No you don't need what I would consider advanced mathematics. All you need is understanding different number systems (Base 2, 8, 10, 16) and Algebra I. That's it - if you take Trig you could have an easier time with game programming but that's the extent.

I got a really nice letter from the state Department of Education for that one - they said it was honest and accurate and thanked me for the time I spent doing program reviews.

by Anonymousreply 81March 7, 2019 10:47 PM

Oh, where do I start?

by Anonymousreply 82March 8, 2019 1:53 PM

We shotgunned our parents.

Oh wait, you said HAUGHTY.

by Anonymousreply 83March 11, 2019 7:49 PM

Is that all there is, my friends?

by Anonymousreply 84March 14, 2019 9:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!