Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When your dad wasn't exactly a role model

Wondering who your male role model was - who was an example for you?

Was it a teacher? A friend's dad?

And no, I don't mean this question in an icky uncle Bottom/nifty sort of way. Genuinely curious who shaped your idea of what a man could or should be.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2019 4:39 AM

i never had a male role model. my dad was incredibly 'lazy'...he was a talented artist, he had a TON of interests, he was very smart... i think his father abused him and my uncle when they were little....we used to call the grandfather "The Hand' when we were kids....

i am 68. i am trying to think of any male that showed me what was what.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 7:18 PM

My dad never spent 10 minutes with me in his life. I didn't have any role models either. i wish i had. i missed out.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 7:52 PM

My dad was OK, a nice man that I don't think really wanted to be a parent. He was the son and grandson of some drunken assholes so I give him credit for not being them, for sure.

But I had a bit of a crush on my next door neighbor. He looked like Don Draper and was all the things I wanted to be.....and wasn't. And I've gravitated toward those kinds of guys - confident, athletic, sure of themselves - all my life as a result.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 8:58 PM

No, no male role models here....Female role models were everywhere, for which I am immensely grateful.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 9:25 PM

When they make DataLounge: The Movie, I hope the characters include Uncle Bottom

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 9:28 PM

^^^Hopefully played by Leslie Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 9:37 PM

I might finger my asshole now.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 9:37 PM

My role model was my older brother which was an unfortunate choice, he was a younger version of our father.

He manipulated me into making some decisions that seriously messed up my life in y late teens to mid twenties.

I wasn't able to walk away from his influence until my early 30s, much to his anger.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 9:39 PM

My male role model was Kevin Costner. Growing up, he seemed like everything a man should be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 9:43 PM

My greatest influence came from my mother. My parents we're married when me and my siblings grew up. But my dad would come home angry eat dinner take a shower get dressed up, and be in the streets for the rest of to day/night.

My mother did all of the heavy lifting with me and my siblings. She was always my favorite parent. And I made sure she knew it. There was never anything I wouldn't do for my mom. She was always there for me. I miss her a lot. My dad is still here, he's only in his 50s and me and my siblings are in out 20s and early 30s now. None of us really have a relationship with him anymore. He tells family friends and other people we know that we've thrown him away. But the truth is. He threw us away long before. He always seemed to have more interest in other people than his own family.

I still love him. But I think it's better this way. He's the reason why he doesn't have a relationship with his still young children. You have to invest in your kids early on.

Once again, or mother did all of the heavy lifting with me and my siblings.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 10:01 PM

I have daddy issues, too. My surrogates were my high school and college basketball coaches, and later, someone I worked for for nearly 30 years. The last one was as manipulative as my father. I just didn't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 10:13 PM

The Quaker Oats man.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 10:18 PM

My grandfather and classic male movie stars like Gable, John Wayne, Bogie.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 10:52 PM

I learned everything from my father. How not to be a terrible father, how not to be a terrible partner, how not to be an asshole, how not to be a good friend. I was glad when my mother divorced his ass 35 years ago and I've barely seen him since. And no I'm not going to regret it after he dies.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 11:00 PM

WHO ANSWERS THIS SHIT???

Whoever it is, YOU are the reason Datalounge sucks!

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2019 12:06 AM

I had one nice uncle who lived close by. Funny, patient, never lost his temper. He died just before Christmas. R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2019 12:31 AM

While my father was something of an asshole the proudest moment ever was when my mom died. The Catholic Priest, Father David was his name. Anyhow the priest told my father he didn't think my father gave enough to the church and the priest was thinking of denying the right of Christian burial. My father picked Father David up by the neck and I watched the priests eyes bugging out behind those coke bottle glasses. That was the one and only time I was proud of my father.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 12:39 AM

My dad was my role model and instrumental in my love of sports, the outdoors and building things. Taught me about fair play and sportsmanship, respect for the environment and how to fix stuff and always give back to the community. All the good stuff. Fortunately I was able to avoid becoming an alcoholic like him and I credit him for that, too. I miss him every day of my life. I'm sixty and I still play hockey, hike and build things.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 1:23 AM

My father taught me nothing except never to trust heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2019 1:31 PM

Pop was a wingnutty, far-right malignant narcissist who ruined several lives. My role models came from outside the family, including my godmother, teachers, and public figures like Carl Sagan and the astronauts.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2019 1:53 PM

My dad was okay. Just okay. Didn’t and don’t really have a male role model.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 2:03 PM

As a child our two role models were our mother and Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2019 2:09 PM

r17, go back to Party City where you belong!

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2019 2:12 PM

Why do we need male role model when gender is a social construct?

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2019 2:27 PM

R15 settle down will ya? maybe get laid. have a cocktail. smoke a joint. you will give yourself a stroke with that rage.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2019 4:43 PM

I didnt have a male role model nor did I ever really hero worship anybody. My dad wasnt really interested in kids or being a dad, nor really in being married. He was very very interested in golf. I had no siblings to lean on.

My uncles and grandfathers were in some ways stereotypical family men or father figures but were really all very flawed in some way...............I think that is why I fell for a high school best friend that was the all american boy. It didnt work out really but it was very intense for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2019 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!