Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Men: Do you wear jewelry (other than a watch)?

That penguin thread got me thinking.

How many of you wear jewelry--chains, rings, pins, earrings, bracelets--other than watches and Fitbit-style trackers?

Do you wear it daily or only for special occasions?

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 9:25 PM

Bump.

Surely DLers have strong opinions on men and jewelry

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 3:59 PM

I just think it’s annoying. I hate feeling chained with a watch.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 4:03 PM

I can't wear any jewelry on my hands other than my wedding ring, and that took months to get used to. Can't stand a watch these days either. Only nice cufflinks when I'm dressed up. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 4:21 PM

My watch—an excellent vintage piece my boyfriend paid a handsome sum for—has stopped working so I’ve stopped wearing it, but I used to wear it every day with a blank, small ID bracelet on the same wrist. Now I just wear the ID bracelet. And a little gold chain around my neck. I saw this look on a really handsome straight skater guy a couple years ago and knew I had to copy it.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 4:28 PM

A watch with a couple bracelets on the same wrist.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 4:29 PM

A necklace is acceptable. Maybe a bracelet. Just plain gold or silver, none of that foofoo torquoise crap.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 4:48 PM

My husband keeps buying me turquoise jewelry. I have to wear it even though it does not flatter my skin tone.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 5:24 PM

A watch often, cuff links when I’m wearing a dinner jacket, and sometimes a gold signet ring from school. Otherwise nothing ever. Young hot guys can sometimes get away with jewelry, but it’s a big turnoff on anyone over 30.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 5:38 PM

I use to only wear one piece of jewelry- my grandmother's wedding band. My grandparents were very poor, and this simple gold band represented an important bond between them. It will be 100 years old next year. So I wore that all through college. Then the only man I have really ever loved gave me a Claddagh ring and a cross from Tiffany's- blessed by my favorite priest- when he got married for the second time (don't ask). Then when my mother passed away I added her wedding ring to the necklace with the cross, and I brought a watch and bracelet- because she was always begging me to wear them- my father use to wear a pair- which is why I resisted. Few ever notice the watch or the rings. No one ever sees the necklace. I wear cufflinks for work. At some point I will only wear the cross and the ring

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 6:05 PM

I never have liked wearing jewelry, had a gold chain when they were fashionable in the 70's, wonder what ever happened to that? Only ring I have ever had was a class ring which I didn't wear much, wonder what happened to that? I have a couple of watches but I never wear them, since cellphones.

I have seen guys with rings on almost every finger and wonder how they can stand that. Actually wearing rings is unsanitary. When I worked with food they were not allowed.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 6:24 PM

I never even considered cuff links to be jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 6:32 PM

I clutched my pearls hoping this was a thread about me.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 6:38 PM

Some guys take it Johnny Depp level

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 6:45 PM

Fancy cockrings

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 6:50 PM

never and it is a huge turnoff for me when I see men that do...........I also hate sandals on men and men who drink in bars with a straw in their drink and use the straw

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 10:27 PM

Bumping with a specific question.

My younger Millennial sister is quite set on exchanging rings with her boyfriend of four years as a casual dating-anniversary present (I.e. not to signify engagement or promise), and I’m having trouble talking her out of choosing tacky vermeil costume jewellery, carved in head shapes or studded with ugly stones. She keeps showing me her selections and I’m running out of vague noncommittal responses.

Of course it doesn’t help that her tenuous employment and the squeeze of late mean she is shopping on a tight budget (less than £100) and I don’t have much I can afford to lend her either (not that I would for the hideous pieces she’s looking at), plus boyfriend has helpfully put in that he likes wearing gold-plate and trendy bling (he’s a flashy tasteless Egyptian in his 20s, can’t be helped I suppose).

Could DL direct me to a classy affordable ring selection for my sister’s man, in style that confers a measure good taste?

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 12:11 PM

I never go out without my parure, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 12:25 PM

copper bracelet to ward off bad spirits

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 12:27 PM

Just costume jewelry in my day to day life. A brooch, small necklace, hat pin. I don't like bracelets. I find them very new money, the way they simulate the jingling of pockets. I try to keep things simple.

I do have some other pieces that are worn only once a year at most, if I'm attending a benefit at a hospital or a fancy family dinner with my ex and his extended family, that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 12:33 PM

No. I wear only a watch and even that one's not a fancy coming, expensive brand. I like Japanese digital watches and wear a cheap $50 Casio.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 1:22 PM

[quote] She keeps showing me her selections and I’m running out of vague noncommittal responses.

Does she actually want you to help choose? If not, why the hell is it your business to force her into something specific?

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 1:24 PM

Two apotropaic amulets and my wedding ring.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 1:36 PM

I love my bejewelled hands.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 1:39 PM

Gold chain only.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 1:43 PM

Just earrings when I'm wearing one of my kaftans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 2:13 PM

A simple signet ring, gold with black onyx, a family piece. Oh, and a wolf head cane, gold and silver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 2:21 PM

I'm coming up on the Big 4-0, and the only jewelry that interests me at this point are wristwatches. I only got into the watch collecting hobby a couple years ago. I worked hard and saved up to get two nice timepieces and love them both. It's definitely an old-fashioned hobby; none of my friends have any interest at all and gawk at the amount of money I've spent when my iPhone tells the time "for free."

Of course, if I somehow ever manage to end up married, a wedding ring will be fine to wear. I've also always kind of like the Cartier Trinity Ring. I have a friend who once remarked, "Other than a wedding band, this is the only ring a gentleman should ever wear."

Otherwise, no jewelry for me.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 2:21 PM

I don't wear a watch anymore, even though I used to collect mechanical watches, and have about 150. The only jewelry I wear consistently are cuff links.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!