Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Tork Dead

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2019 12:29 PM

I was more into Davy Jones but Peter had his boyish charms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 3:36 PM

Oh dear, what age can do to a person

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Sad.

He was always my fave.

Cute.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Seeing Peter scrubbing his back shirtless in the tub during the Monkees opening gave this tot the feels.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 3:40 PM

He smoked lots of dope in his time. I wonder if that had anything to do with causing his tongue cancer.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 3:40 PM

He looked like some other 60s singer - can't remember his name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 3:41 PM

[quote]Oh dear, what age can do to a person

I think he had a rough time. Didn't he go to prison? Had some kind of problem with the law.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 3:42 PM

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 3:42 PM

So that leaves 2 Monkees that are still alive?

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 3:45 PM

Awwww. He was cute and goofy. Loved seeing the Monkees on reruns.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 3:45 PM

He was on my 5th grade lunchbox. Now I feel more Eldergayer than ever.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 3:52 PM

I know Davy got all the press and the all-important approval of Marcia Brady, but just like The Brady Bunch I still think Peter was the cute one. I'm shocked and saddened.

My boyfriend and I got to see the three then-surviving Monkees in concert a few years ago. Good show. Obviously they've gotten better on their instruments. But for a manufactured pop group for a TV sitcom (one that introduced new wave techniques to TV that you rarely see anywhere else in American media), you couldn't ask for a better song catalog.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]I think he had a rough time. Didn't he go to prison? Had some kind of problem with the law.

No, that was us.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote] I know Davy got all the press and the all-important approval of Marcia Brady

That's because Davy was the only one of the Monkees with a foreskin. That Marcia loved uncut dick.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 4:01 PM

R6 Stephen Stills.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 4:01 PM

Daydream Believer is a fucking great song.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 4:03 PM

That asshole Nesmith will be the one to last forever.

The assholes always do.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 4:05 PM

[quote]That Marcia loved uncut dick.

Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 4:06 PM

He had a strange celebrity road, he fell into obscurity after the Monkees first broke up and ended living as a kind of drifter for while. The big Monkees 'renaissance' in the 80s brought him back to the spotlight and I think finally financially stabilized him.

I think he was from New England iirc, his father was some kind of academic (UConn or Yale?). He has a daughter who is also some kind of academic and uses her father's family name Thorkelson. I'm sure the details will be in his obit.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Peter Thorkelson

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Wow. My favorite Monkee.

Wanting to be, to hear and to see

Crying to the sky

But the porpoise is laughing good-bye, good-bye

good-bye, good-bye, good-bye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2019 4:12 PM

I wonder if this is his sister, a San Fran area attorney. Looks a lot like him:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Nesmith is the only one who can afford health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2019 4:13 PM

r16=Shrek

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2019 4:14 PM

I don’t remember Peter doing any vocals.

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2019 4:24 PM

He went to prison in Oklahoma in 1972 for possession of $3.00 worth of hashish, caught as he was crossing the border from Texas to Mexico. He was prosecuted by the Federal Govt. rather than by Texas which was lucky for him as Texas in those days had a history of giving very long sentences to drug offenders, no matter how minimal the infraction was He was sentenced to a short stint as a first offender and spent 3 months behind bars.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2019 4:25 PM

I read he was really, really generous to people he knew with his money.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2019 4:29 PM

Nesmith has his mother to thank for his riches. She was the inventor of Liquid Paper which she eventually sold to Gillette in 1979 for $47.5 million. He, an only child, inherited everything when she died.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2019 4:29 PM

Not my favorite but RIP.

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2019 4:29 PM

And Nesmith's mother died early, he inherited her million$ when he was still in his 30s.

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2019 4:33 PM

Quickly aging here.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2019 4:35 PM

[quote]I don’t remember Peter doing any vocals.

He did a few. He sang "Shades of Gray" on the Headquarters album, which I've been humming all morning.

Michael Nesmith not only inherited a huge pile of money, he started a video production company (or something like that) in the late 70s/early 80s that went on to make another huge pile of money.

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2019 4:36 PM

Yes, poor Betty Nesmith Graham had less than a year to enjoy all her money before she died.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2019 4:40 PM

Did he give up butt in jail?

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2019 4:41 PM

That’s a shame. ™

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote] I don’t remember Peter doing any vocals.

Auntie Griselda. Peter was the “Ringo” of the group.

Nesmith wrote “Dofferent Drum,” a hit recorded by Linda Ronstadt

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2019 4:45 PM

Obviously, it was Different Drum

by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2019 4:46 PM

Oh, man! What a sweet, sweet cutie he was. So loveable on The Monkees shows and movie(s).

by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Mike Nesmith produced Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" video, one of the most craptastic videos of the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2019 4:48 PM

Now I’ve got Auntie Griselda playing in my brain. 🤪

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2019 4:49 PM

Peter Tork directed "The Monkees" episode "Monkees Mind Their Manor."

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2019 4:50 PM

Nesmith gained enough respect and lucre via his production company and producing efforts to be named a Board member of the AFI a few years ago, if I recall correctly. He maintained his A-list credentials to a degree.

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2019 4:50 PM

R2

I think it was the meth

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2019 4:52 PM

r42 A is for asshole.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2019 4:52 PM

Ten years with tongue cancer...oy.

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Nesmith produced the movie Repo Man.

In the first season of the Monkees, Nesmith’s character was listed as “Wool Hat” in TV Guide

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2019 4:54 PM

Micky Dolenz told some interesting behind-the-scenes Monkeys stories on a recent Gilibert Gottfried podcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2019 4:55 PM

I wonder if he was the one who gave Farrah Fawcett anal cancer?

by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote]He smoked lots of dope in his time. I wonder if that had anything to do with causing his tongue cancer.

Yes. That was it. Dope.

by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2019 5:06 PM

I loved in the beginning credits when Peter would cry when they put the wrong name up on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2019 5:12 PM

Micky Dolenz lived in my building in the early 2000s with his gf (later wife) and their baby. His wife got busted for fraud because she was living in our rent subsidized building while she had another apartment she was subletting & she was living in a house owned by Dolenz in a California gated community in winter.

Our building was in the Mitchell Lama program, which was designed for middle income NYers who worked in the city. We paid rent on on a sliding scale dependent on our W2. At the time, we were trying to keep our building from leaving the program and there were stories of all kinds of people taking advantage of the program and these people were giving the vast majority of legitimate ML residents a bad name. By this time the internet was around, so building residents looked her up and found her other addresses and turned her in to the NYC Housing Authority. Dolenz was not arrested because his name was not on the lease. (But he was living in subsidized housing while being a DJ on WCBS FM.)

Ultimately she was found guilty of fraud and she handed over a check for the amount that NYCHA determined she’d defrauded the housing program (which was around $140k) and was sentenced to 5 days community service (which I’m sure she never did & were probably suspended).

We all lost our housing anyway when our building left the ML program & became luxury condos.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2019 5:21 PM

At least he outlived Peter Tomarken.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2019 5:22 PM

Damn and his father invented Post-It notes.

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]He smoked lots of dope in his time. I wonder if that had anything to do with causing his tongue cancer.

According to Michael Douglas, tongue cancer is caused by eating ladies private parts.

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2019 6:19 PM

[quote]Damn and his father invented Post-It notes.

I think you mean Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2019 6:20 PM

I would not have told this story while he was alive, but in 1995(?), I met Peter Tork at a 12-step meeting in Storrs, CT. I was in grad school at UCONN at the time. After the meeting was over, I went up to him and said, "You look like Peter Tork from the Monkees!" Of course, he replied that that's because he WAS Peter Tork from the Monkees.

He was very personable and we talked for a couple of hours; I was shocked to find that he was a brilliant man, nothing at all like the character he played on the show. He told me that he was home visiting his parents, and that his father was a professor at UCONN (but not in my department). He had arranged to have the reunion tour do a concert that night in (perhaps) Hartford, and he said he would give me and my gf tickets and we could go backstage if we wanted to. I begged off, because I had been reading for my comps, and I didn't feel like I could take a night off. But I was very flattered.

He was very kind and gracious, with lovely manners. He was the only famous person I ever met at a 12-step meeting. But I will always remember his intelligence and warmth. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2019 6:27 PM

[quote]Damn and his father invented Post-It notes.

Don't go there.

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2019 6:31 PM

It makes me think of the guy here who has tongue cancer.

I really liked Peter, on the show.

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2019 6:32 PM

Nice story r56 thanks for sharing. Not only was Tork's father an academic, Tork's kids are extremely well-educated. One is an Ivy grad, the elder two have grad degrees and also work in academia. They use a different name than their dad's surname, one assumes for privacy, and I wonder if their father's obituary will list them.

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2019 6:39 PM

At least he died peacefully, I just hate it when you childhood crushes start dying of old age. Peter was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2019 6:46 PM

My brother loved them. They were yuuge in England. It was a big deal for an American group to crack England in the '60s.

They'd buy up half of Carnaby Street. Have jazzy Mini Coopers made up for them to take home.

I keep thinking of the song "Laugh"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2019 6:51 PM

Thank you for your tribute, elderlez @ R56

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2019 6:51 PM

The Monkees arrive in London. Pandemonium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2019 6:55 PM

I love Peter's "with it" Errol Flynn as Robin Hood-inspired "gear" in the 1967 Pathe newsreel.

by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2019 7:01 PM

For everything he went through with his health, he didn't age that bad.

by Anonymousreply 65February 21, 2019 7:59 PM

Family statement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2019 8:04 PM

I always thought Peter was the cutest one.

Love these stories. 77 is a pretty good run, especially if you brought joy and laughter to people. Lol the Monkees show was so 60s. Lots of fun and innocence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote] Micky Dolenz told some interesting behind-the-scenes Monkeys stories on a recent Gilibert Gottfried podcast.

I listened to the whole thing - and man, it 's long, but I think Micky gets drunker as he goes through the podcast. At 1.15 he starts actually crying when he's talking about the movie they made or something! He recovers but soon after sort of garbled thru the word "sensibilities" - anyway, wow. And he was close close friends with Repig Alice Cooper! Fuck that guy (Alice, not Micky)

One bit of Monkees gossip - I think Davy was an asshole which is why Mike wouldn't tour with the reconstituted group till after Davy died. One time Davy said Micky Dolenz looked like somebody had slapped him in the face with a frying pan. Methinks he was jealous of the real lead singer of the group.

by Anonymousreply 68February 21, 2019 8:32 PM

* oh by 1.15 I mean one hour and 15 minutes into the podcast

by Anonymousreply 69February 21, 2019 8:33 PM

They were huge in Engerland.

Remember watching the show as a kid in the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 70February 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Even when I was a kid, watching that Monkees show made me tired in a bad way.

by Anonymousreply 71February 21, 2019 10:33 PM

I, too, always thought him the cutest. Kind, goofy and best friend material.

by Anonymousreply 72February 21, 2019 11:39 PM

r68 Davy also married into an asshole family. His wife's relations wanted to control all aspects of the tour. I don't blame Mike for staying away. He and Micky are touring later this year. Nesmith did a West Coast US tour last month.

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2019 12:29 AM

I guess he took the last train to Clarksville...

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2019 12:43 AM

Nesmith also had bypass surgery this past summer. He and Mickey were due to perform at the Keswick Theater outside of Philadelphia when he fell ill.

Always liked Peter. Wish I could have seen him live. RIP

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2019 1:11 AM

Mickey sang lead on most of their big songs ("I'm A Believer", "Last Train to Clarksville"), but Davy was the one the teenage girls loved. He ruled Tiger Beat Magazine, with fellow teen idols Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman.

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2019 1:20 AM

I also thought Peter was the cutest. I think I read that he tried homosex once, as a top.

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2019 1:26 AM

God, everybody's so fucking old now.

by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2019 1:33 AM

R22, this article gives more info about his daughter (one of 2) Hallie Thorkelson:

[quote] According to her social media profiles, Thorkelson lives in New York City and has worked as an educator for several years. The 49-year-old eldest daughter of The Monkees’ bassist is currently an assistant professor of practice at Relay Graduate School of Education, according to her Linkedin profile. She has worked there since 2015, when she started as a senior instructional fellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2019 1:36 AM

Micky, in a later interview, said that of all four of them, Peter was the only Monkee really acting contrary to type or natural character.

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2019 1:36 AM

He wrote my favorite Monkees song. Though Mickey sang it on the record. For Pete's Sake, it's called. It served as the closing theme song during the second season. When they played it live more recently, they let Peter sing the lead, which was a mistake. The song was suited to Mickey's voice.

I love how groovy it is. Sundrenched, slightly prefabricated, and idealistic. It's what I imagine it felt like to live in Hollywood in the '60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 22, 2019 1:39 AM

He and Stephen Stills both tried out for the Monkees. Producers turned down Stills because of his fucked up teeth and thinning hair.

I believe Tork was the one who introduced Stills to the whole Laurel Canyon scene. Stills is before my time, but I've always had a bit of an obsession with him, so I know he and Tork were really good friends.

Tork was also awesomely Liberal. I recall him being on Rachel Maddow and he was great. RIP, Mr. Tork

by Anonymousreply 82February 22, 2019 1:41 AM

R81 - I had that album - living in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan, as a very isolated, and out of place gay kid. Played it on a mono RCA record player. This album, and one from K-Tel (Crimson and Clover, anyone?) were played over and over again. That image of the record album is one of those things that had it not been posted here, would have never been a recall of my life again.

And, I also got out of a place I never fit into, and live over 5,000 km's away, in another country now.

by Anonymousreply 83February 22, 2019 2:06 AM

[quote]Now I’ve got Auntie Griselda playing in my brain.

That song explains why Peter rarely sang lead.

by Anonymousreply 84February 22, 2019 2:16 AM

As a kid, I watched The Monkees religiously in reruns. The original airing was before time. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 85February 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Peter once said in an interview that if the group had been put together according to what they could actually do, he would have been the lead guitarist, Mike the bassist, Davy the drummer and Micky the lead singer.

by Anonymousreply 86February 22, 2019 2:18 AM

That’s lovely, R81.

by Anonymousreply 87February 22, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote]Now I’ve got Auntie Griselda playing in my brain.

I hate you. I hadn't heard that song in a long time, so I just went to YT and now it's stuck in my head!

by Anonymousreply 88February 22, 2019 2:29 AM

Davy was so short that he couldn't be seen behind the drums, so they put him up front with a handful of maracas. Micky and Mike sang all the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 89February 22, 2019 3:47 AM

Wasn't he involved with some members of the Manson family?

by Anonymousreply 90February 22, 2019 3:55 AM

No, Ma’am, that was me.

by Anonymousreply 91February 22, 2019 3:57 AM

Had such hots for Peter - definitely the cutest of the bunch. Used to see him going to AA meetings at the West Side YMCA.

by Anonymousreply 92February 22, 2019 2:12 PM

Before the Monkees second wave of popularity, he was a high school teacher. He was a true hippie...reportedly many took advantage of his generosity in the Laurel Canyon days

by Anonymousreply 93February 22, 2019 2:20 PM

Loved the show as a kid during the 80s revival and found their records in a used record shop.

Still love them today. As a kid I hated the song Auntie Grizelda, but now as an adult I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 22, 2019 2:23 PM

As a boy Davy was my favorite. But when I started seeing reruns I was like wow Peter was really the cute one.

This is really sad. I wonder if it was oral sex. Seems to be becoming more prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 95February 22, 2019 2:44 PM

[quote]He was a true hippie...reportedly many took advantage of his generosity in the Laurel Canyon days

Including men?

by Anonymousreply 96February 22, 2019 5:51 PM

He was notorious for his orgies and groupies. Not the goofy guy we saw on their show, and quite the musician.

by Anonymousreply 97February 23, 2019 5:47 PM

Tribute on MeTV tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 23, 2019 6:57 PM

I loved the Monkees from the re-runs on the BBC in the 70s and 80s. Peter was always my favourite on the tv show; although musically his vocals could be painful at times.

The best thing he (and the others) ever did was the movie Head; Peter's two songs are terrific, including his vocal on Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again, it's miles away from Your Auntie Grizelda.

I saw the Monkees live twice, once as a trio in the 80s (minus Mike) and then all four of them. They are still the best manufactured band ever.

RIP Mr Tork and thanks for the music and the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 99February 25, 2019 8:43 AM

[quote]One time Davy said Micky Dolenz looked like somebody had slapped him in the face with a frying pan. Methinks he was jealous of the real lead singer of the group.

Jealous or not, Mickey Dolenz really does look like someone slapped him in the face with a frying pan. They got in lots of short jokes at Davy's expense. Why should Mickey's wall-face be off limits?

by Anonymousreply 100February 25, 2019 10:23 AM

R100, I feel Micky's pain.

George used to say that my face was shaped like a frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 101February 26, 2019 4:15 PM

Davy was heading for a major career in the musical theater. I wonder if he ever resented he would have to spend his life as the manufactured TV icon of a 2 year series.

by Anonymousreply 102February 26, 2019 5:13 PM

In the My Three Sons episode where he plays a guy from their hometown who became a rock star, Micky Dolenz is way, way hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 26, 2019 5:27 PM

Boy, that kid acting in R103's clip might be worse than even Vicky the robot. Jesus, he's awful.

by Anonymousreply 104February 26, 2019 5:29 PM

It's a girl and she's Lief Garret's sister!

by Anonymousreply 105February 26, 2019 5:47 PM

R104, that is the famous Dawnn Lewis who played Dodie, Fred MacMurray's step-daughter in the later eps of My Three Sons.

We are way off topic here, but fans of the old website "Jump The Shark" may remember pages and pages of posts mocking the unfortunate young Dawnn Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 106February 26, 2019 9:02 PM

My bad, Dawn Lyn!

by Anonymousreply 107February 26, 2019 9:04 PM

Dodie was painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 108February 26, 2019 9:06 PM

As a little boy I loved My Three Sons but even I stopped watching when Dodie came along. This most obnoxious child actor in the history of the world must have been cast at a drug fueled Hollywood party.

by Anonymousreply 109February 26, 2019 9:09 PM

R108, R109, same here. Loved that show until she came along.

And entire episodes would be devoted to her!

by Anonymousreply 110February 26, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote]That asshole Nesmith will be the one to last forever. The assholes always do.

How does he stack up to the inaptly named Mike Love?

by Anonymousreply 111March 1, 2019 5:17 PM

Ah is Nes an asshole too? He recently had a quadruple bypass - but yeah, George Burns had one in his 70s and made it to 100.

by Anonymousreply 112March 1, 2019 5:35 PM

Nesmith was an asshole back in the late 80s when the Monkees had a revival. He refused to do a reunion tour because of course he inherited all of his mother's money. The other three Monkees weren't nearly as well-off, and it wouldn't have killed Nesmith to reunite for a three-month tour so they could make some money.

by Anonymousreply 113March 1, 2019 5:37 PM

Oh my, I just happen to come back to this thread. I didn't watch the whole clip @R103 because it was so bad. I didn't realize that was a little girl! She has David Cassidy's hair and even he looked more fem in the face.

by Anonymousreply 114March 1, 2019 5:41 PM

happened*

by Anonymousreply 115March 1, 2019 5:42 PM

Nesmith rejoined after Jones died because he knew the other 2 needed money. They did fine without him in their reunion tours, so he figured they didn’t need him. But after Jones died, he knew they did need him. Now Dolenz has no breadwinner. Nobody wants to see only him & Nesmith.

I read, back when the Monkees were in their late 60s hippie/Monterrey Pop days, that Peter Tork picked up teenage girl hitchhikers & got high with them. It was insinuated that more than just smoking a joust was involved. I guess this was normal behavior for California pop stars and visiting British bands. Poor Dennis Wilson just happened to pick the wrong girls 🥴

by Anonymousreply 116March 1, 2019 6:20 PM

Thanks autocorrect, for turning joint into joust. (It also turned “girls” into “giros.” Is giro even a word? I know gyro is....)

by Anonymousreply 117March 1, 2019 6:23 PM

[quote]Nesmith was an asshole back in the late 80s when the Monkees had a revival. He refused to do a reunion tour because of course he inherited all of his mother's money. The other three Monkees weren't nearly as well-off, and it wouldn't have killed Nesmith to reunite for a three-month tour so they could make some money.

r116 has it right, r113. Aside from his mom's money, Nesmith also essentionally invented MTV, and took far less than he was offerred to get out, because he didn't want it He also won a lawsuit against PBS, who ripped him off. Nesmith never needed the money after the Monkees, and helped all of them whenever he could.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 1, 2019 11:34 PM

Back in the late 80s during the Monkees big revival there was a big stink about Nesmith not joining them for a tour. People were pissed that he wouldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2019 11:47 PM

I read somewhere that he hated Davy Jones and that's why he wouldn't tour with them - but abruptly changed his mind after Davy died. It makes sense - but maybe it was his tender-heartedness. But t'would have been a lot easier just to give them some money if he really didn't want to tour other than to help them out.

by Anonymousreply 120March 2, 2019 12:21 AM

Could be wrong, but I recall the surviving Monkees gave a portion of post-Jones demise tour earnings to Davy's daughters, who weren't left much financially due to having a young goldigging stepmother. Jones had married some young chippy a few years before he died and she was fond of his fame and $. From recall, his youngest daughter was starting college and needed tuition support.

re Tork's family: accomplished bunch, maybe the most intellectual of any modern pop star. Father an econ prof, sister an attorney, one brother a writer/cartoonist. Two of his kids Ivy grads, both in academia; one niece a Fulbright scholar & executive, other niece & nephew uni profs, all Ivy undergrad/grad. Very liberal the entire bunch - his father's obit from a few yrs ago lists Oakland's Marxist library as a memorial donation recipient.

by Anonymousreply 121March 2, 2019 1:51 AM

No one has said what his cause of death was but I think it was a recurrence of his oral cancer. He was diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) in 2009 and declared “cancer free” in 2012, but this cancer is known to be slow but relentless in its growth with poor long-term survival rates. I found this while researching it:

“Due to its slow growth, ACC has a relatively indolent but relentless course. Unlike most carcinomas, most patients with ACC survive for 5 years, only to have tumors recur and progress. In a recent study of a cohort of 160 ACC patients, disease specific survival was 89% at 5 years but only 40% at 15 years.”

“Another unusual feature of ACC is that, unlike most carcinomas, it seldom metastasizes to regional lymph nodes. Distant metastasis is the most common presentation of treatment failure. The lung is by far the most common site of metastasis, with the liver being the second most common site.”

That plus he posted on Facebook shortly before his death something about his health being troublesome, and that he’d be focusing on spending time with his family and wouldn’t be posting further updates.

by Anonymousreply 122March 2, 2019 2:22 AM

In the late 90s he did a one week residency at Eddie’s Attic, the somewhat famous acoustic music venue in Decatur, GA. I worked at a restaurant/bar across the street, and he was in there almost every lunch and dinner. He was super nice, unassuming, and a big tipper. Very good guy. One of the female servers slept with him 3 times that week, and she was about 20. So, there you go.

by Anonymousreply 123March 2, 2019 5:55 AM

[quote]Very liberal the entire bunch - his father's obit from a few yrs ago lists Oakland's Marxist library as a memorial donation recipient.

Marxism was the guiding light that caused young Peter Tork to spend every nickel he made in his original stint with The Monkees partying with countless hangers-on.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2019 6:11 AM

Well he had a fun life.

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2019 12:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!