Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Strange Case of Delilah-Judith

I found a 1971 copy of ACADEMY PLAYERS DIRECTORY in a thrift shop, which is a kind of yearly phone book of actors advertising themselves (with pics and contact info.) Sometimes producers, casting directors etc. used to flip through these for ideas when thinking who they might use for a role, or to check who their agent is.

Under LEADING WOMEN, there were very old pictures of a performer called Delilah-Judith ... and intrigued, elsewhere on the web I read:

[quote]Hollywood ‘celebrity’ who walked around in quirky outfits and heavy makeup, who Bette Davis used as an inspiration for her character in “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?”

Has anyone ever heard of this weird old bat before?? I HAVEN’T ! ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2020 8:54 AM

You once could buy an old autograph of hers ... I think she carried these preprinted cards around with her (???)

[quote]Ink signature, “Delilah-Judith,” on an off-white 5 x 3 card with her photo affixed to the lower right. Light scattered toning, and the signature started and finished with different pens, otherwise fine condition. Originally acquired from the Buddy George Marshall in-person Hollywood collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2019 3:27 AM

Just looking at the picture, she does resemble Baby Jane.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2019 3:37 AM

She sounds like a cross between Baby Jane and Angelyne.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2019 3:38 AM

[quote]who Bette Davis used as an inspiration for her character in “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Bet she made this rumor up herself.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2019 3:40 AM

From a 1938 issue of "Hollywood Lowdown", a fan mag:

Delilah-Judith, whose first bit is in “Secret of Treasure Island"

Unusually interested in future great material is Delilah-Judith, — and, please, do not forget the hyphen. In her it is particularly gratifying to discover a new type that has all the requisites to success. She is a young lady richly gifted in musical talents and histrionic ability, combining the charm and personality of a true Southerner with the unusual grace that goes with red hair and brown eyes. Too, she has brightened the world by lending her services frequently to creators of magazine covers and lovers of the theatre know her well as a dancer of more than passing merit.

Of course, “Delilah-Judith” is not the name by which her friends in and around Louisville, Kentucky, know her best. There, when she was born in Hodgensville, she was christened Judith Churchill Howard but for the more practical purposes of stage and screen, she adopted the name suggested to her by the late Flo Ziegfeld from whom she got her start.

Professionally, Delilah-Judith has appeared throughout the country, being starred in Ibsen’s “A Doll’s House” and “Honeymoon for Three” and playing the leading role in “The Doctor In Spite Of Himself,” French comedv by Moliere ; “Riders of the Sea,” “Two Sides of the Door,” “Because I Love You” and several Shakespearean productions. She has appeared as an instrumental soloist on the concert stage and the airways, spelling these appearances with occasional spots in the realm of the dance. When “at liberty,” Delilah-Judith has written, her finest contribution to literary fare being “Cloe Cunningham, Actress,” a modern drama first produced in 1936.

A delightful and interesting little person — Delilah-Judith stands but three inches over five feet — she has modeled for Harrison Fisher, Van Leshout, Devereux, Earle Rogers and others. She is happiest, perhaps because her hands and face have been perpetuated in a line of widely distributed dolls for which she served as the model for a friend. She speaks French and German and is an expert horsewoman.

But, more than that, she is an unusual personality, capable certainly of winning a high place in that grand, kaleidoscopeic array of talent that parades across the screens.

Yes, Hollywood — Mecca of the aspiring — still seeks the stars of tomorrow and will continue to seek them as each today passes into the limbo of the past.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2019 3:49 AM

Thanks, all! I find this SOOOO WEIRD ! ! !

Let me stress, she was STILL advertising herself for roles with those ancient publicity pictures [italic]in 1971!

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote] r5 When “at liberty,” Delilah-Judith has written, her finest contribution to literary fare being [italic]“Cloe Cunningham, Actress,” [/italic]a modern drama first produced in 1936.

Could this script be found anywhere?

I desperately want to stage it in my living room!

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2019 4:05 AM

Someone write up a plot for this lost masterpiece and the actors you would cast (besides Miss Judith herselfses).

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2019 4:10 AM

From another fan mag (1939). Straight out of "Little Me"...

Player Model For Doll Faces and Hands Star: While Blind Discovers Talent by Telling Stories

Delilah-Judith, stage and radio star, has been named by artists, producers and writers, as being one of the most beautiful girls in the world. They mention her resemblance in both face and figure to the Venus de Milo, with her carrot-red hair, brown eyes and flashing dimples. A statue has been made of her, and her face reproduced in plaster for museums. She was discovered by Florenz Ziegfeld, shortly before his death, contracted by him and made a stage star in Los Angeles in "Honeymoon" two months after she became an actress. Ziegfeld had seen her first appearance as actress, as leading woman in Moliere's, "The Doctor in Spite of Himself," in Hollywood, when the audience cheered as soon as she appeared, because of her amazing beauty. She has been a leading woman in plays, including "Romeo and Juliet" and "The Merchant of Venice." She starred in Ibsen's "A Doll's House" last year in HollyWood and signed a star radio contract, while doing “The Woman in White," and later "Supernatural."

Delilah-Judith was featured this year on the Hollywood Screen World program on Monday nights from KMPC as dramatic actress. She is a model for dolls' faces and hands. Quoting from the Hollywood Screen World magazine, February, 1939: "Delilah- Judith possesses the perfect doll face and is the model for many of the dolls manufactured today. As artist and model, Delilah-Judith has posed I for internationally famous artists, including Harrison Fisher, and her face has appeared many times on front covers of Cosmopolitan magazine and other publications." The actress was model for Van Leshout and his class of 40 pupils in Louisville, Ky., when she was but 18 yenrs of age. Her face smiles at you daily from bathing suit ads, etc. She first played ln movies last year In "The Secret of Treasure Island," Columbia studios.

This star was born at Hodgenville, Ky., is single and her home in Hollywood is called "The Doll's House." She was a child prodigy at the piano and Is now on the air as a soloist, and is studying for grand opera. This unusual person was, as a child, blind and crippled, due to a fall. "It was during the suffering and misery of those dark years that I laid the foundation for my career," she told an editor recently. "To amuse myself I learned to play the piano, but not well. I limped up and down alongside the keyboard, not being able to reach enough keys when seated. I pretended I was the north wind rushing from base to treble. I was a dancer swaying back and forth over the keys. I was a kitten running up and down on black and white ivory. One thing. I learned in blindness, was that Stevenson was right when he wrote, 'Close all the roads of all the world, love's road is open still.' In blindness one. is certainly dependent on the outside world, and so In order to keep the other children near me, that I might have their companionship and be near the warmth of their childish joyousness, I told them stories of fairies and animals and all I could invent. And in trying to hold their interest I had to be emphatic at certain points — startling, breath-taking, speaking in whisper, rising to a crescendo — falling to a meekness, gay laughter, pretended sobs, and so on. In this way I learned to act. "The doctor said if I cried much my sight would never return — so I tried to sing instead. Well — now I am studying grand opera. After I was miraculously cured of being blind and my crippled condition was almost cured I danced and danced, pretending I was a butterfly or a rose or a scarlet cockatoo. I feel that in the dark in blindness I found the cold stone floor of acting. It is knowing how to pretend — how to act."

continued

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2019 4:33 AM

Quoting Fred Schubert, columnist: "Delilah- Judith will bring a new type of beauty to the screen. She is a living prototype of the Venus de Milo, her measurements being exact with those of the Goddess of Loveliness." Then again quoting William Wolfe, vaudeville producer: "Delilah- Judith is the most beautiful girl in the world. I hope she will be my leading woman in vaudeville soon." The actress will soon be on the air on the new Hollywood Screen World program from KFWB in "Stardust of Yesteryear." She is a member of the American Federation of Radio Artists, Screen Actors Guild and American Guild of Variety Artists. The Wood Radio Productions will feature the talented actress in a series of transcriptions. The assignment will present her acceptance of a part in "Pamela" which she had under consideration. She has been approached by scouts of the Selznlck studio.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2019 4:33 AM

Delilah-Judith is a ridiculous name. No wonder she went nowhere and descended into battiness. Hollywood was filled with such delusional old ladies living out their days in small apartments around town. There are probably still many around.

Here's a list of ladies I found who had some years of fame before fading into anonymity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2019 5:18 AM

I’m thinking she must have had SOME talent - if she was playing in tours of Ibsen, Molier and Shakespeare.

Still — a doll model?

[quote]This unusual person was, as a child, blind and crippled, due to a fall.

[quote]"To amuse myself I learned to play the piano, but not well. I limped up and down alongside the keyboard, not being able to reach enough keys when seated ... I was a dancer swaying back and forth over the keys. I was a kitten running up and down on black and white ivory. One thing. I learned in blindness, was that Stevenson was right when he wrote,[italic] 'Close all the roads of all the world, love's road is open still.'”[/italic]

So, she was molested?

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2019 6:21 AM

In the 1950 PLAYERS DIRECTORY - right under Livy and across from Nancy.

And a new out-of-date photo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2019 6:32 AM

[quote]Hollywood was filled with such delusional old ladies living out their days in small apartments around town.

Fuck you, R11!

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2019 10:17 AM

This is fascinating. The snarky part of me believes that she was in the middle of pestering Mr Ziegfeld at the stage door when he probably said, "Delilah, Judith, whatever!" and she took that to mean he named her!

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2019 10:50 AM

Was she a Ziegfeld Girl?

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2019 10:56 AM

Bump. Interesting thread.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2019 3:01 PM

This whole thing makes me think of this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote]R11 Hollywood was filled with such delusional old ladies living out their days in small apartments around town.

[quote]r14 Fuck you! —Pola N.

An' that goes double for me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2019 6:56 PM

I just noticed Faye’s using a headshot in the same volume that’s from 1966, so ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2019 7:33 PM

I wonder if some unsuspecting casting assistant ever called someone in based on those out of date photos, and then got a shock when Delilah-Judith or whomever showed up.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2019 8:17 PM

They'd be like, "Yeah, so we're looking for a young Blanche Sweet type ... Oh, hello. Um, did you notice anyone in the elevator with you?"

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2019 8:21 PM

I’ve been thinking of our little Delilah-Judith (that name COULDN’T have helped) and wonder how she ended up. Did she die alone? Is she in a pauper’s grave? Or was she rich?

Or HAS she died????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2019 2:21 AM

Who's the pretty girl, R23?

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote]Her name lost to the ages, the mummy now known as The Beauty of Xiaohe is at least 3,500 years old. She was found in a tomb complex in western China, along with the remains of hundreds of other members of her lost culture.

SEE ARTICLE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2019 2:26 AM

This is unexpected!

From article:

[quote]Her name lost to the ages, the Beauty wore a tall hat of white felt and fur-lined boots. Her body was surrounded by grave goods, including an intricately carved wood phallus placed on her chest

!!

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2019 2:32 AM

Thank you, R25, I shall read it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2019 2:33 AM

She died in L.A. at age 83, in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2019 2:36 AM

R28 I am impressed!

How did you find that? Maybe i’m not very good with internet searches....

Was she destitute? I would love it if she ended up somewhere okay, like the Actors Home, or the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2019 2:55 AM

That mummy looks like Rue McClanahan.

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2019 3:02 AM

oh lort, you’re right!

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2019 3:04 AM

Fantastic thread

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2019 3:29 AM

R29 I couldn't find an obituary, just a date of death under the name "Judith Churchill Rogers". She was married in Kentucky in 1921 to Earle Aldridge Rogers, and it looks like she kept his name after they split. I also hope she didn't end up destitute in Los Angeles. Maybe someone else will have some more info.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2019 3:38 AM

I’m not r28 but I found the same info. Her full given name of Judith Churchill Howard is in one of the old stories linked above. Through that you can find her wedding announcement in 1921 and a couple of family obits from the 1930s. She married a man named Earle Aldridge Rogers from Pittsburgh and he died in Los Angeles in 1980, so she was perhaps married to him for all that time and was his widow when she died as Judith Rogers in 1984. Can’t determine what he did for a living or if they had any children.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2019 3:44 AM

One of the stories from the 30s says she is single, so it sounds like they had split by then, but maybe they got back together at some point.

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2019 3:53 AM

She had a daughter named Barbara by 1934. It made the newspaper when she came back to Kentucky for a visit (no mention of the husband).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2019 3:58 AM

R36 Wow: it's a puzzle, and that's a good piece you found.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2019 4:01 AM

R11, the best find for me was that Elaine Stewart was a starlet but I remembered her from the game show Gambit where she was the dealer. I always thought the producer picked her up in a bar and just put her on TV, which is probably not far from the truth.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2019 4:05 AM

^^ Elaine Stewart WAS a promising starlet, one whose career ultimately didn't pan out as planned.

I think she's best remembered for THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, made her first year in Hollywood. She has a few small scenes in which she effectively plays a jaded, opportunistic actress. She did other parts, but I don't think she made as much impact in them, and her career petered out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2019 6:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2019 6:35 AM

Does anyone remember Miss DuPont? Or so she was billed. She was a blond actress from the silent days, co-starred as Erich von Stroheim's love victim in Foolish Wives or Husbands, or one of the movies of such vintage. I believe she married a blue blood and died in Palm Beach in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2020 9:26 PM

Love that this thread is back. One of the best.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2020 9:30 PM

Oooh this one is interesting.

I was friends with someone whose mother was an actress-model. She was quite eccentric but also delightful. She cling to her former beauty, but I think she was more beautiful in her 70s! She was quite a character, and I’m glad to have known her for the last 25 years of her life. She had many former connections to show business, but died unknown.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2020 9:35 PM

In a 1956 Players' Guide, Delilah is listed as performing "Swing," Not the "swing" of Broadway performers.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2020 9:41 PM

When I was 21yrs old, my first entertainment job was an assistant in a casting office in NYC, circa 1983. We would use the Players Directory at times, and Delilah-Judith was a running joke. Whenever a new Directory would be delivered, they'd immediately check if her picture was still in there. We would occasionally put her name on casting lists for commercials, or if someone was, say, looking for a "Sigourney Weaver" type, one of us would predictably yell out "how about Delilah-Judith?" and we'd all laugh. Then the 84 directory came out and her pic wasn't in there. We were curious and very sad. No internet then to research. (I could be wrong on the dates but it was around that time).

I have't even heard or thought of the name until now, Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2020 9:43 PM

R45, the directory you're remember is Players Guide, created in 1944 patterned after the Academy Directory in Hollywood. It's last edition was in 1996 when Online Casting began.

My 1971 edition shows Delilah at 694 South Burlington Avenue in Los Angeles, HUnter 3-8368. Credits include "Delilah-Judith Grand Opera Company (Prima Donna and Owner) and Delilah-Judith Record Company (Prima Donna and Owner.)

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2020 10:21 PM

Gloria Grahame doesn't belong on that list.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Ed Fury namechecks Elaine Stewart in his interview with Skip E. Lowe, which can be found on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2020 10:34 PM

New York Public Access has Florence Morrison, now in her late 80s, Claims to be a Spinto Soprano specializing in works by Verdi. Begins each show with a clip of her singing from a CD she made and peddled door-to-door at the "finest music stores." Always shows a full-page ad from Musical America that she paid for, with quotes of how wonderful she is. The Manhattan Neighborhood Network shows are at least ten years old. Florence can next be seen at 1:00PM on Saturday, January 25 on Spectrum 56, if their program log is up-to-date.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2020 10:44 PM

In 1971 694 S. Burlington, LA was a really dicey area east of MacArthur Park. It’s an apartment building that looks like it wasn’t especially nice, even when first built. I’m guessing she wasn’t drowning in cash.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2020 2:44 AM

Janis Paige really doesn’t belong on that list either.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2020 2:46 AM

True, R51. There's a throwaway line about Janis Paige "rebounding a bit" on Broadway. You could say that. She starred in the original production of "The Pajama Game" and later was an Angela Lansbury replacement in "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2020 3:38 AM

Paige got "The Pajama Game" after Dolores Gray turned it down. Gray was a finalist for "Mame" but lost out to Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2020 3:42 AM

Janis Paige is still with us. She's 97.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote]Janis Paige is still with us. She's 97.

And writing an autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2020 5:56 AM

Oh DL, thankyou, this is the renaissance I waited 60 years for

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2020 6:15 AM

Poor Delilah Judith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2020 6:16 AM

Poor Delilah - Judith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2020 6:18 AM

With a name like Delilah Judith, she must have been a fag hag surely. Add her to the list of celebrities who would have been DListers.

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2020 6:20 AM

That cunt Bette Davis made a caricature out of me and ruined my career!

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2020 6:22 AM

Retain the dash, DL!

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2020 6:25 AM

I smell a DL documentary to be made; 'Looking For Delilah- Judith'. Our own Faye can host. I picture Ms Dunaway kneeling down at an unmarked grave in a small country graveyard pretending to shed tears for D.J.

Or a movie. Faye as old Delilah- Judith, in pancake makeup, living as a recluse in her bedsit apartment, with flashbacks of her life.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2020 6:50 AM

At this stage, it should be Madonna. She could recreate the graveyard scene from "Truth or Dare."

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2020 6:52 AM

R39

Picture is finished Georgia; you're business, I'm company...... Burn!

Oh I forgot to tell you Georgia, I saw the picture; thought you were swell! Burn #2

They just don't make films, or have scripts like this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2020 7:05 AM

That's a lot of guests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2020 7:13 AM

A Judith C (Churchill?) Rogers grave;

Judith C. Rogers

Birth 10 Jul 1900

Death 8 Sep 1984 (aged 84)

Burial Inglewood Park Cemetery

Inglewood, Los Angeles County, California, USA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2020 7:35 AM

Earle's grave very nearby, so she called herself Judith Churchill Rogers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2020 7:42 AM

[quote]R46 My 1971 edition shows credits include "Delilah-Judith Grand Opera Company (Prima Donna and Owner) and Delilah-Judith Record Company (Prima Donna and Owner.)

So she came up in the world!

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2020 7:46 AM

Oh dear, THIS is dangerous!

The R66 link to her gravesite asks visitors, [italic] ”What’s one thing you’ll always remember when you think of Judith?”

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2020 7:50 AM

R50

Is this same MacArthur park that melted in the dark? You know with all the sweet green icing flowing down?

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2020 8:11 AM

Could her daughter Barbara (from R36) still be alive?

I wonder if it would be cruel to try to track her down. I mean, talk about parents that EMBARRASSED you...!!

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2020 8:16 AM

I noticed that, R50. And the phone number is still using the old alphanumeric system that had been outdated for nearly a decade by ’71. It all seems rather sad.

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2020 8:29 AM

“Rather”?

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2020 8:33 AM

R73, I still have hope that maybe it's not as bad as it looks. Just call me a cockeyed optimist.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2020 8:55 AM

We have the power to write the ending. She lived a long, full life and was surrounded by loved ones when she died. Flowers are placed on her grave by visitors a number of times throughout the year.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2020 9:08 AM

r75 how do you know flowers are placed on her grave by visitors a number of times throughout the year?

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2020 9:18 AM

Earle and Judith were living at 694 S Burlington Ave, Los Angeles in 1971 but in 1980 when Earle died they were living in Whittier, so no, Delilah-Judith didn't die in that pitiful apartment. She may have died in a pitiful apart in Whittier though.

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2020 9:24 AM

#apartment

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Delilah-Judith's family may have been quite influential since old mansions, masonry churches, Victorian homes, and enormous trees line almost the whole length of either side of the street mentioned in [R65]'s link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2020 9:27 AM

r79 they'd have to have been to cater for all those guests

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2020 9:30 AM

Sounds like another Phoebe Price. Although, to my knowledge, Phoebe Price hasn’t landed a man.

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2020 9:35 AM

engagement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 19, 2020 9:45 AM

her fathers' obit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2020 9:49 AM

sisters' house her father died in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2020 9:56 AM

grave of a sister who died young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 19, 2020 10:08 AM

What isn't mentioned about Dona Drake, another actress in r11's list is she was African-American who 'passed'. Her stage names were 'Una Velon' (!) and 'Rita Rio' who in her latter name, led an all-girl orchestra in the late 30s and early '40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 19, 2020 10:41 AM

A snappy Dona Drake "soundie", made right before she was signed by Paramount.

Interesting she was promoted at Paramount by Dorothy Lamour who explained her "exotic coloring" as a combination of her Irish, French, Spanish and "French Creole" ancestry. OK, Dot, whatever you say...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2020 10:53 AM

So she was a drag queen, right?

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2020 12:22 PM

[quote]My 1971 edition shows Delilah at 694 South Burlington Avenue in Los Angeles, HUnter 3-8368

My telephone number is actually CUnter 3-8368

Get it right. I've been waiting for calls.

by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2020 12:29 PM

Great thread! Keep it coming.

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2020 12:37 PM

I keep waiting for later photos to emerge, with her wandering LA like a later-day Angelyne.

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2020 12:39 PM

Exchange names were in phone books of New York City's five boroughs until 1977. Philadelphia into the 80s

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2020 1:10 PM

Looking like this, R91?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2020 1:11 PM

No one has mentioned the dolls she posed for. I wonder what ones they were? Baby Jane had dolls too.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2020 1:36 PM

Last I heard she was doing a World Tour while wearing an eye patch

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]r85 grave of a sister who died young

Surely there's more of a story there? Was she making her mark in the chorus of their community theater's operettas, and our little Delilah-Judith became cagey? Or perhaps doll manufacturer's wanted to use the sister's features to cast doll face molds from, instead of DJ's??

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2020 4:10 PM

I don't believe Dona Drake was 3/4 black, 1/4 white. Flip those fractions and maybe I'd buy it.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2020 4:53 PM

If only Flo Ziegfeld had named her Judith Delilah, perhaps it all would have gone differently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2020 4:58 PM

Love this thread

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2020 5:27 PM

Delilah Dith. That's it. That's the name.

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2020 5:39 PM

694 South Burlington Avenue.....sad....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2020 5:55 PM

Dona Drake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2020 6:26 PM

Did somebody mention Delilah?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2020 6:29 PM

I would never guess that was Carol Channing, especially with her original nose.

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2020 6:32 PM

Get out'ta here with yer goddamn DONA DRAKE nonsense!

ANY role Dona did, Delilah-Judith could have done better. DONA'S the reason DJ failed!

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2020 7:16 PM

D-J.

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2020 7:17 PM

In the 1940 census she’s listed as Judith Rogers, age 40, living at 1580 Gower St with her daughter Barbara. Under occupation, a blank, and income for 1939, $0.

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2020 7:23 PM

Was she entertaining gentlemen?

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2020 7:24 PM

I wonder if she ever slept with JFK when he was blind drunk. (No close hole was safe!)

I like the idea of her incessantly calling the White House for a second date, at all hours.

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote]r107 Under occupation, a blank, and income for 1939, $0.

[quote]r108 Was she entertaining gentlemen?

Maybe she and Babs were pullin' a mother-daughter act for their callers - -

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2020 7:35 PM

R86

Ms. Dona Drake did rather well for herself considering background and what times were in USA regarding race.

She married fashion designer William Travilla (who did much work for Marilyn Monroe), and couple remained together until her death in 1989. Mr. Travilla lived only one year longer than his wife dying in 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2020 7:45 PM

Drake looked reminiscent of Eileen Brennan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2020 7:52 PM

Can someone be three quarters black and have that hair texture?

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2020 7:53 PM

Can someone SHUT UP about that g-damn INTERLOPER??

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2020 8:02 PM

Oh, r111, how in the world could you leave out....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2020 8:06 PM

R113

Dona Drake had one set of "black" grandparents and other was mixed (one black, one white), but we don't know how "black" any of her ancestors given that designation truly were in terms of blood and or features.

Far as South and many other parts of USA were concerned it only took "one drop" of AA, Mexican, Indian or whatever non-white blood to make someone "black" or whatever non-white race.

In early part of 20th century well as good part of 1800's, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, etc... were all states where there was significant inter-marriage (and or just sexual relations) between native Indian populations (what was left of them anyway), along with Mexicans and later Italians who began arriving from Italy by 1900.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2020 8:20 PM

She reminds me of Datalounge posters asking questions aimed at "Eldergays".

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2020 8:21 PM

[Quote] Far as South and many other parts of USA were concerned it only took "one drop" of AA, Mexican, Indian or whatever non-white blood to make someone "black" or whatever non-white race.

That makes sense. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 118January 19, 2020 8:23 PM

Why do people have to ruin a fascinating thread with off topic Dona Drake bullshit! I hate you right now!

by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote] Far as South and many other parts of USA were concerned it only took "one drop" of AA, Mexican, Indian or whatever non-white blood to make someone "black" or whatever non-white race.

And, now that has become the position of "woke" people.

by Anonymousreply 120January 19, 2020 9:40 PM

R119

Fascinating to persons like yourself, but for those of us < age 90 that really don't know D-J from Eve we're just making conversation.

by Anonymousreply 121January 19, 2020 9:51 PM

Any of you super sleuths track down her daughter, Barbara?

by Anonymousreply 122January 19, 2020 10:19 PM

I wonder WHET Dixie Dunbar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 19, 2020 10:21 PM

Well goodness, this isn't of much help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 19, 2020 10:21 PM

Well, here we go....

Unhappy with filmmaking and disappointed at the lack of success she had, she left moviemaking altogether in 1939 and returned to the 'Great White Way' to appear with Buddy Ebsen, Phil Silvers and Judy Canova in "Yokel Boy." She met and married the co-director of the Rockettes of Radio City Music Hall, Gene Snyder, in 1940 and later toured in a nightclub act but things died down quickly. One vision of Dixie, ironically, was of only her legs! From 1949 to 1951 she was "seen" dancing in the now-famous television commercials ads that featured her totally covered head to hips by a giant Old Gold cigarette box. Divorced in 1953 and after some TV work, Dixie retired. She married twice more and once operated a restaurant for a time in Florida. In the late 70s she began losing her eyesight to glaucoma., dying in 1991 following multiple heart attacks.

by Anonymousreply 125January 19, 2020 10:23 PM

Poor Dixie....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 19, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote]the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital.

Delilah-Judith wouldn't have been allowed there. She has ZERO credits on IMDB, so her career was largely in her mind. Which is true for over half of the actors who list in the Academy Directory.

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2020 10:49 PM

"Her name lost to the ages, the mummy now known as The Beauty of Xiaohe is at least 3,500 years old."

It's not lost. That's our dear Catherine Zeta.

by Anonymousreply 128January 19, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote]I wonder WHET Dixie Dunbar.

Today, Jan 19, is her 101st birthday! Or would be, if she weren't rotting in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 129January 19, 2020 10:53 PM

Oooweeooowee!

by Anonymousreply 130January 19, 2020 11:00 PM

R128 = Gabrielle Carteris, cranky because she's going through Boniva withdrawal

by Anonymousreply 131January 19, 2020 11:00 PM

Dixie Dunbar died in 1991. I'm fairly certain she's no longer rotting.

by Anonymousreply 132January 19, 2020 11:02 PM

Either/or it's still her birthday. Happy birthday Dixie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 19, 2020 11:03 PM

Her story reminds me of a less thirsty, more talented Liz Renay. Of course, John Waters gave Liz her screen infamy, and no one did that for poor D-J.

Liz and her daughter did a mother daughter strip routine in Vegas, and to read her tell it, Liz had quite the career in Hollywood, both on and off screen. I have both of Liz's books; I wish there was a Delilah-Judith one to read. Perhaps I will write one for her- it would be about the same amount of fiction as My Face For The World To See.

by Anonymousreply 134January 19, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote]134 Perhaps I will write one for her- it would be about the same amount of fiction as My Face For The World To See.

[italic]My Face (in a 50-year-old headshot) For The World To See: The Delilah-Judith Story

by Anonymousreply 135January 19, 2020 11:52 PM

She really does look like baby Jane

by Anonymousreply 136January 19, 2020 11:57 PM

Back around 1969 I knew a young woman from a prosperous family in a wealthy area where I live. Her parents owned a furniture store and did quite well. Prior to marriage the mother was an extra in the 1930-4ss, with walk-on and bit parts in movies where lots of pretty women were in the cast, like the Ziegfield Follies. Eventually she married and left the business.

Fast forward 20+ years and she's got two young adult daughters and is rattling around this big elegant house. Except the one time I was there I noticed the ashes in the fireplace were piled over a foot high and spilling out onto the floor. Then, she made an appearance, a blowzy Baby Jane with an out of date hairstyle drunkenly yelling at her daughter about something petty. I was so shocked and embarrassed for my friend.

The daughter definitely had some issues, not the least was the drunken mother. But she also had the movie star looks of a 1930s ingenue, big wide eyes, pretty face, and really insecure.

by Anonymousreply 137January 20, 2020 12:06 AM

Wow...fascinating story r137.

by Anonymousreply 138January 20, 2020 12:20 AM

R137 was the daughter named Barbara?

by Anonymousreply 139January 20, 2020 1:27 AM

1977 The Making Of Desperate Living

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 20, 2020 1:53 AM

In the late 40s there was a rumor that Dinah Shore had a :Touch of Tar," despite her parents being Jews who came from Europe. The rumor was started by another singer who was jealous of Dinah's popularity. Anyone know who the other woman was?

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2020 2:11 AM

Pearl Bailey?

by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2020 2:13 AM

I doubt it was Peggy...oops, I mean Miss Peggy Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 20, 2020 2:38 AM

FFS no one cares about Dona fuckin Drake or Dixie Dunbar or fuckin Dinah Shore! This is about ME!

by Anonymousreply 144January 20, 2020 3:05 AM

D-J was kind of the CZJ of her day, age wise.

by Anonymousreply 145January 20, 2020 4:59 AM

Don't fuck with me, fellas! I have CREDITS!

by Anonymousreply 146January 20, 2020 5:00 AM

I love the clip at R133 - Dixie and her happy feet! That little gal could move. How tall was she anyway? The male dancers that are with her... I always wonder about the guys when I see scenes like this. You know, what their story is, what kind of lives they had, were they happy? I don't know why.

I think the addition of Delilah-Judith to the DL pantheon is a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 147January 20, 2020 8:41 AM

Delilah-Judith is not worthy of DL adoration. She did NOTHING! It was all a LIE! She was just an alcoholic mess who made a fool of herself on a daily basis. She had no talent at all. NONE!

by Anonymousreply 148January 20, 2020 8:54 AM

"She did NOTHING! It was all a LIE! She was just an alcoholic mess who made a fool of herself on a daily basis. She had no talent at all. NONE!"

If that doesn't make her a DLer, I don't know what does.

by Anonymousreply 149January 20, 2020 12:58 PM

r141: Kate Smith. She loathed the fact that sexy Dinah was another "Songbird from the South" whose radio shows were more popular than Kates.

by Anonymousreply 150January 20, 2020 1:32 PM

Dinah Shore's original dark hair made it easier to start rumors that she was biracial. This may be one of the reasons she went blonde in the late 1940s.

Dinah was also very happy to feature black performers on her TV show - Pearl Bailey and Mahalia Jackson, for example. She enjoyed singing with them and would embrace them on-air, which led to criticism from network execs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 20, 2020 2:48 PM

Poor Delilah-Judith! Not even the star of her own THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 152January 20, 2020 3:38 PM

Delilah-Judith getting the spotlight stolen from her on a thread about her, by other female Hollywood hasbeens, is the very definition of soured optimism.

by Anonymousreply 153January 20, 2020 3:55 PM

She was but yet another Mary C. Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 20, 2020 3:58 PM

DL Documentary Special: Whatever Happened to the REAL Baby Jane?

by Anonymousreply 155January 20, 2020 4:24 PM

Barbara, PLEASE....please, Barbara!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 20, 2020 11:45 PM

Even the sad old cunts of DataLounge have forgotten me. And that's saying something. Sigh

by Anonymousreply 157January 21, 2020 11:32 AM

Delilah-Judith would have been perfect for the musical!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 21, 2020 12:01 PM

Just think, this movie could have been "Samson and Delilah-Judith," if only our D-J had been cast in place of that plain-Jane Hedy Lamarr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 21, 2020 4:48 PM

r159, that would have been a riot!

by Anonymousreply 160January 21, 2020 4:54 PM

Delilah-Judith = Hattie

Dixie Dunbar = Sally

Dona Drake = Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 161January 21, 2020 7:49 PM

If I hear Dixie Dunbar Dona Drake one more fucking time i'll rip you cunts a new asshole!

by Anonymousreply 162January 21, 2020 9:14 PM

Why, why, why, Delilah - Judith

by Anonymousreply 163January 21, 2020 9:15 PM

Lupe Velez = Carlotta

by Anonymousreply 164January 22, 2020 2:37 PM

Dona Drake was great, and Dixie Dunbar was greater.

I wonder if Delilah-Judith even had a SAG card? I mean, to not even have one little IMDB credit? That's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 165January 22, 2020 8:25 PM

Two words:

Trixie Friganza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 22, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]Dona Drake was great, and Dixie Dunbar was greater.

Nigger, please.

by Anonymousreply 167January 22, 2020 9:00 PM

WHET juggling legend Trixie Frischke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 22, 2020 9:10 PM

Don't forget about us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 22, 2020 10:03 PM

Some DLer needs to get cracking on the script for Samson and Delilah-Judith

by Anonymousreply 170January 22, 2020 10:40 PM

Dona sizzling in an unbilled specialty in STRIKE ME PINK (1936)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 22, 2020 11:15 PM

R196 = Fat old white guy trying to be edgy

by Anonymousreply 172January 22, 2020 11:19 PM

I'd like to thank R18 for contributing to this thread with that perfect clip. Funny to see Kramer being the sensible, sane one in that duo. Good job R18.

by Anonymousreply 173January 23, 2020 12:30 AM

Dona Drake Travilla & Travilla

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 23, 2020 12:59 AM

Dona Drake Travilla & Travilla

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 23, 2020 1:06 AM

Get those OTHER FUCKIN’ WHORES out’ta here!!

by Anonymousreply 176January 23, 2020 2:39 AM

[quote]I wonder if Delilah-Judith even had a SAG card? I mean, to not even have one little IMDB credit? That's pathetic.

She could have had a SAG card and done nothing but extra work, which would result in no IMDB credits. In New York, anyway. Hollywood had the Screen Extras Guild.

by Anonymousreply 177January 23, 2020 2:46 AM

A non sequitur, I know, but all this talk of Dona Drake suddenly reminded me of early TV exercise pioneer Debbie Drake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 23, 2020 3:24 AM

Debbie Drake was a doll, r178!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179January 23, 2020 12:51 PM

"Unbelievable" is right. Wow, the Debbie doll has an amazingly long set of gams. I don't remember the real Debbie being such a sourpuss, though. The head must be one of those used for cheapo imported fake Barbies.

by Anonymousreply 180January 23, 2020 4:38 PM

I cornered the doll model market first.

by Anonymousreply 181January 23, 2020 4:55 PM

Her Jaw Twist and Cheek Reducer were instrumental in keeping her face from looking like a cheapo imported fake Barbie, r180.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 23, 2020 4:59 PM

"You will literally suck away the extra fatty tissue."

by Anonymousreply 183January 23, 2020 5:02 PM

I see where she's sometimes referred to as a "Beauty Culturist". She even rated an Eisenstaedt photo in LIFE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 23, 2020 5:06 PM

With the photographer....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 23, 2020 5:07 PM

Debbie gives Dick a workout....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 23, 2020 5:11 PM

As I recall, Debbie Drake got her show following the TV success of Jack LaLanne, whose exercise show was also intended for women. But Debbie added a beauty angle. I don't think Jack ever concerned himself with cheek reduction exercises.

by Anonymousreply 187January 23, 2020 5:15 PM

Forgotten and ignored once again. It's the story of my life.

by Anonymousreply 188January 23, 2020 5:18 PM

It's because you have no talent, no union affiliation, and nothing to show that you are worthy of having the kind of renown you are seeking. Tough luck, D-J.

by Anonymousreply 189January 23, 2020 8:13 PM

Mid-'70s, a friend and I were passing through an upscale department store in Denver. Miss Drake was in a roped off area leading a group of housewives through one of her work-outs. I guess she was on some sort of publicity tour. She was the personification of vivacity and glamour in her signature leotard and spike-heeled pumps.

by Anonymousreply 190January 23, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote]R189 you have no talent, no union affiliation, and nothing to show that you are worthy of having the kind of renown you are seeking. Tough luck, D-J.

Now listen, it’s not like every single early movie or TV program is listed on IMDb. It was put together kind of like Wikipedia, built by contributors.

Delilah-Judith’s heyday simply fell under the radar.

Give the girl a chance!! That bitch spawn Barbara probably derailed her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 24, 2020 4:28 AM

The Debbie Drake doll at r179 has a lovely camel-toe.

by Anonymousreply 192January 24, 2020 9:21 AM

As did Debbie, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 193January 24, 2020 12:38 PM

Damn, even Davida Rochelle Kantor (poo shoes) has more credits on IMDB than D-J.

by Anonymousreply 194January 24, 2020 3:20 PM

Slander and libel abound on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 195January 24, 2020 4:10 PM

I meant [bold]#TeamD-J[/bold]

!!!!

(maybe the same thing...)

by Anonymousreply 196January 24, 2020 4:12 PM

The r5 movie mag mentions her upcoming appearance in “The Secret if Treasure Island” (1938) for Columbia Pictures.

I don’t think this is her in the pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 24, 2020 4:38 PM

It's hard to tell, r197. It does look like her profile.

by Anonymousreply 198January 24, 2020 4:47 PM

I wonder if D-J ever worked with Miss Maila Nurmi.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 24, 2020 5:38 PM

Delilah-Junkyard is not in that Treasure Island serial. The leading lady, Gwen Gaze, was an established Aussie actress. The only other woman in the cast was someone named Sandra Karina as “Nurse Zanya.” Its one of only two credits she has.

[quote] Now listen, it’s not like every single early movie or TV program is listed on IMDb.

Actually, yeah, it is. IMDB has been run by pros for years now. That Treasure Island thing is a good example - it’s there, along with the whole cast, including Sandra Karina & her two credits. If Delilah-Judith had appeared in anything, she’d be there.

by Anonymousreply 200January 25, 2020 1:45 AM

Poor Delilah- Judith, it's hard being continually overlooked, upstaged and forgotten

by Anonymousreply 201January 25, 2020 7:51 AM

Politico:

Republicans livid after Schiff cites supposed threat to GOP senators

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 25, 2020 12:26 PM

^My apologies, D-J!

by Anonymousreply 203January 25, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]From a 1938 issue of "Hollywood Lowdown", a fan mag:

[quote]Delilah-Judith, whose first bit is in “Secret of Treasure Island"

From that item posted at R5, her part in The Secret of Treasure Island is described as a "bit", so she may have just been an extra, seen in the background or walking by or something.

The movie was based on a story by L. Ron Hubbard, of all people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 25, 2020 1:44 PM

What an interesting read Bump

by Anonymousreply 205January 25, 2020 2:37 PM

R169-the Ross contortionists with their potato salad song is one of the weirdest things I've seen in a while. All those crotch shots had to contribute to many a hot-blooded hetero male fantasy. I pity the mothers who washed their sons sheets after seeing that. Just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 206January 25, 2020 3:17 PM

Buck never would have been in such a tasteless act.

And neither would D-J!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 25, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]From that item posted at [R5], her part in The Secret of Treasure Island is described as a "bit", so she may have just been an extra, seen in the background or walking by or something.

I beg your pardon, R204. It was a performance! Something made of fire and music!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 25, 2020 6:16 PM

so who’s tracing the daughter, Barbara? She’s the one with the real dish.

And perhaps a copy of Mommie’s 1930s play, [italic] Cloe Cunningham, Actress.

by Anonymousreply 209January 25, 2020 7:16 PM

If anybody cares about Starlets.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210January 26, 2020 6:10 PM

I think Madge Blake had the career D-J coveted....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 31, 2020 10:42 PM

I'm pretty sure that our dear Delilah-Judith saw herself as a leading lady and not as a dumpy character actress. No offense to dear Madge Blake, of course.

by Anonymousreply 212February 1, 2020 12:07 AM

R211, Holy hole in the pass-around bottom Batman! That’s Aunt Harriet!

by Anonymousreply 213February 1, 2020 12:15 AM

Dear Madge was instrumental in the A-bomb!

by Anonymousreply 214February 1, 2020 12:17 AM

She looks like Shannon Beador at R208.

by Anonymousreply 215February 1, 2020 12:22 AM

I think she’s tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 216February 1, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote]r215 She looks like Shannon Beador at R208

D-J could have done [italic]The Real Housewives of Skid Row[/italic]

Gone too soon...

by Anonymousreply 217February 1, 2020 12:35 AM

You want a strange case? Miss Susan Cabot. Now there's a strange case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218February 2, 2020 4:54 PM

Can she run for President? It’s not too late.

by Anonymousreply 219February 2, 2020 5:14 PM

Two words:

Reta Shaw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220February 10, 2020 9:33 PM

Reta Shaw was a very busy character actress. She was in the stage and movie versions of "The Pajama Game," a regular on TV"s "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," and, with Hermione Baddeley, one if the two domestics in "Mary Poppins.." She worked all the time.

by Anonymousreply 221February 10, 2020 9:39 PM

And yet she never had her own DL thread.

Delilah-Judith wins.

by Anonymousreply 222February 10, 2020 9:47 PM

Unfortunately, this was not a biopic about Delilah-Judith made after her passing. I guess the fact that it wasn't called "Dear Dead Delilah-Judith" should have tipped me off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223February 10, 2020 9:56 PM

DDD....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224February 10, 2020 10:00 PM

Ugh, I totally want one of her autograph cards. Looks like the last auction for one was in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 225February 10, 2020 10:12 PM

Goodness gracious....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226February 10, 2020 10:17 PM

Amazing find, R226, not least for the shout-out to DL.

It gives me LIFE that, to judge from the social column linked at R65, the gracious spirit of Mary Todd still held sway in the Louisville of 1916. "Mesdames"!

by Anonymousreply 227February 10, 2020 10:45 PM

If anyone here bought the item at R226, I'll pay you $25 for it.

by Anonymousreply 228February 10, 2020 10:47 PM

I will have these conversations with myself? I suspect she did, poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 229February 10, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote]r228 If anyone here bought the item at R226, I'll pay you $25 for it.

It sold for $3.00 ? ? ?

What a pearl was so foolishly cast aside ! !

by Anonymousreply 230February 10, 2020 11:14 PM

I am CRYING AS I TYPE THIS ... the ebay item was nine pages of correspondence from D-J herself!!! OMG - did the seller keep copies??

And why was he contacting her for an interview in the 1960s/70s?? How did he even know who she was??

by Anonymousreply 231February 10, 2020 11:43 PM

Maybe he's the poster who worked in casting.

by Anonymousreply 232February 10, 2020 11:57 PM

Only a Dlister would have bought it, no one else cares.

by Anonymousreply 233February 11, 2020 12:21 AM

How dare you speak of your DL brothers and sisters that way?!

by Anonymousreply 234February 11, 2020 12:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235February 11, 2020 12:29 AM

Oh for chrissakes. I clicked on this thinking it was going to be a career retrospective. Jeez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236February 22, 2020 1:30 AM

You could have a reading at the DL Palm Springs get together.

by Anonymousreply 237February 22, 2020 2:09 AM

I really wish someone could find her daughter, Barbara.

Unless there was a boozy (gay?!) neighbor D-J confided all to over many (many?!) afternoon stingers, Babs is the only one left who knows the ins and outs of this supposed “career”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238February 22, 2020 5:23 AM

Speaking of Josie Lloyd.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239February 23, 2020 2:23 AM

I wish D-J was still around to help us get through this.

by Anonymousreply 240April 12, 2020 2:29 AM

Can someone from Acquisitions please place these in the Delilah Judith file?

Will explain later.

[italic]DL ICONS (second string) Page 1 of 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 3, 2020 5:00 PM

[italic]Page 2 of 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 3, 2020 5:02 PM

GREATEST OPERAS ONLY

D - J never spared any expense for us. Thank you D - J!

by Anonymousreply 243August 13, 2020 8:04 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 244September 13, 2020 8:54 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2020 8:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!