Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is The Most Underrated Female Singer of Popular Music? I think it’s easily Donna Summer.p

Agree with me (as you should), or tell me your thoughts — whose voice do you believe is highly underrated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2019 11:36 PM

JANET!!!

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2019 1:09 AM

Jessie J is very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2019 1:16 AM

Alana Davis....she had one hit, covering Ani Defranco's "32 Flavors" and then never made another Top 40. Her voice is like butter and she writes her own stuff except for this one. Insanely talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2019 1:16 AM

Donna Summer had a great voice and was a great musician. She so seamlessly fit into those great dance hits that it is easy to overlook her enormous talent and skill.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2019 1:23 AM

You said it so well R4.

And she took care of her voice always. I very unexpectedly met her at Elaine’s in 1997 - she was so sweet and beautiful and gracious. I was awestruck.

I saw her perform with the Houston Symphony many years later. It was like hearing Live and More (1978) all over again. It was effortless for her :))

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2019 1:35 AM

Donna Summer could sing anything. She definitely never got the respect she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2019 1:57 AM

Donna Summer is my favorite. She could sing anything. Why else would Barbra choose her to represent her, on several occasions? She was amazingly versatile. I fell in love with her disco hits, but I realized she was so much more than that. Her voice was so gorgeous, so lush, so warm, so embracing. My boyfriend is also as huge fan (we're both the same age, late 50s). We remember the disco years, but also know there was so much much there, and it was a tragedy that her voice was cut short the way it was. It was in fine fettle even towards the later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2019 2:42 AM

R7 thanks for that clip, I’d never seen it. Wow!

Barbra chose Donna to sing THAT song; a song that meant so much to Barbra. Of course! Only Donna, as it should be.

The Incomparable Donna Summer. The day she died, my father called me to give his condolences. I loved her so.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2019 3:59 PM

Didn't you do this Donna Summer thread last week? Last month?

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2019 4:02 PM

[quote] Donna Summer is my favorite. She could sing anything. Why else would Barbra choose her to represent her, on several occasions?

Because she is her son Jason's favorite, and it's the only way she can be sure Jason is paying attention to her.

Next question.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2019 4:06 PM

Donna wasn’t underrated by a long shot. R2, no, just no.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2019 4:07 PM

Santigold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2019 4:08 PM

Róisín Murphy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2019 4:11 PM

Diana Ross and Karen Carpenter. I would also say Aretha Franklin by the younger generation. I know it sounds crazy but I think they judge her by the way she sounded in her last decade and all the reverence she was shown by older people. I thinks some of them thought that Mary J. and Whitney were better. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2019 4:32 PM

How in the fuck is Diana underrated?! She’s overrated!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2019 4:35 PM

How is Diana Ross underrated though? I think she had a pretty decent success.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2019 4:36 PM

Fucking Aretha had nothing but praise bestowed upon her during her career. NOT underrated in the slightest bit.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2019 4:36 PM

I don't think Diana Ross is overrated, but how in the world could you describe her as underrated?

Aretha, now she was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2019 4:37 PM

The Pointer Sisters. They were commercially successful in the 70s and especially in the 80s but they were so versitile in their music choices that they never received their just due.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2019 4:40 PM

Sheena Easton. Bitch could literally sing whatever style of music she wanted and was regarded as one of pop’s most versatile singers in the 80s and early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2019 4:42 PM

Randy Crawford has an amazing voice!

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2019 4:44 PM

Teena Marie. She should've been huge in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2019 4:57 PM

Tracey Thorn.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Agree about Lady T!!!

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Tracey Thorn has the charisma of a dead fish and slightly looks like one in the face.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2019 5:01 PM

Sophie B. Hawkins, without a doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2019 5:03 PM

R26!!!! Dream on!

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Phyllis Hyman.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2019 5:29 PM

I said Diana Ross in terms that she never receive a competitive Grammy as a member of The Supremes or as a solo artist. Aretha in terms of younger people only but she simply was the best.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2019 5:58 PM

Didn't like Aretha. Hers was the image that came to mind whenever I read the word "caterwauling." Until the 21st century, that is.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2019 6:00 PM

Definitely agree Randy Crawford is underrated.

Marlena Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2019 6:03 PM

Aretha could do it with the best of them and she launched a thousand ships but she also had subtlety. Her notes had conviction and she never at least to my ears never sounded like she was showing off. That’s the difference and she always sang from her heart. She didn’t scream just to be screaming. They asked Leyontyne Price who were the greatest voices of the century? Her response was herself and Aretha. Listen to her version of “Wholly, Wholly” from her “Amazing Grace” album. That tells you all anyone needs to know about Aretha and I always play that for anyone that doubts her supremacy.

I can’t wait for that film to be released.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Randy Crawford is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2019 6:14 PM

Laura Branigan

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2019 6:17 PM

I agree that Randy Crawford has a great voice, but she was never going to be a star. She looked like a Gender Studies professor from Bennington College.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2019 6:20 PM

Patti Austin...a technically perfect voice with great pitch and depth.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2019 6:46 PM

Obviously, Jasmyn Burke:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2019 6:48 PM

I voted for Donna Summer upthread, but I saw that Phyllis Hyman was mentioned, and she is truly example of an underrated female singer. I think Donna Summer was very widely appreciated. Phyllis had in common with Donna musical theater experience, which I think shows in the range of their music. RIP, Sophisticated Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2019 11:39 PM

Phyllis was phenomenal and appreciated in certain circles (the Black Community, the jazz circuit) but she didn’t get the broad exposure her talent deserved.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2019 11:48 PM

Phyllis Hyman definitely deserved a lot more than what she got. She was fantastic. Unfortunately, Clive Davis was so preoccupied with Whitney Houston, other artists on Arista didn't get the attention or promotion they should've had.

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2019 11:54 PM

The answers are Belinda Carlisle, Miss Gong Li, Ms. Liv Ullmann, and Lisa Kudrow. Oh, and Capucine. Because DL.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2019 11:56 PM

I think Donna got her due and continues to get her due (RRHOF). I think because so many said she was underrated, including Dick Clark, she got more recognition. Plus, "I Feel Love" is considered one of the most influential songs of the past 50 years. Songs like Bad Girls and She Works Hard for the Money are iconic and of course, Last Dance is the closer for so many wedding receptions and dance nights.

Bad Girls was the prototype for so much of '80s dance-pop.

I think Hyman didn't get the recognition because of her own personal issues but also because she wouldn't put up with Clive Davis and his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2019 11:59 PM

I've always loved Gladys Knight

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2019 12:01 AM

Donna Summer was the QUEEN of music for many years at her peak. She is still considered one of the greatest female singers ever. She was a MASSIVE music seller back in the day so NO she was NOT underrated.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2019 12:02 AM

Donna's voice was one of a kind - she could do just about anything. As much as we may slag the Geffen era on here there are some gems in there that rank among her best. Robert Christgau once said she managed to build a career out of belting out inconsistent banality as if her life depended on it - I didn't find her work banal at all but he was pretty on with regards to her oomph.

Dusty was equally underrated and versatile vocally. Roisin Murphy comes shockingly close on some cuts to sounding just like her, and her body of offbeat butt-shakers is pretty peerless this century.

Agree on The Pointers too! Randy Crawford as well.

More recently, the original and now reunited Sugababes (Mutya & Siobhan especially) and Sophie Ellis-Bextor never got their due in the States.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2019 12:10 AM

I just love the Pointer Sisters. A lot of their music has aged really well (for me, at least). I love their harmonies.

I think it's amazing that their biggest album, Break Out, came out when they were approaching their mid-to-late '30s. That would never happen today.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2019 12:12 AM

I don't think we should award threads started by such OBVIOUS, stanning trolls.

by Anonymousreply 47February 19, 2019 12:16 AM

We had a great Pointer Sisters thread on here a while ago. It reminded me of how many great songs they had. They had a ton of hits over two decades.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2019 12:33 AM

I hate Clive Davis...pimp.

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2019 1:28 AM

Flo Ballard

by Anonymousreply 50February 19, 2019 1:40 AM

Donna is a rock n roll hall of famer. Not underrated.

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2019 1:55 AM

I forgot about Phyllis Hyman's mental health issues. Yes, that certainly contributed to her career problems. Not all of them, of course, but it did have an effect.

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2019 1:55 AM

Ariana Grande hands down. The poor thing will probably never get the respect she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2019 1:57 AM

The poster who stated Karen Carpenter must be the most clueless person alive. Karen is considered one of the premier voices in music. Perhaps you don't know what underrated means.

by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2019 2:04 AM

Eydie Gorme had them all beat.

But I'd also agree about Phyllis Hyman, incredible voice.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2019 2:04 AM

Huh, r53? Ariana Grande is probably the most popular female pop star at the moment. She just won a Grammy and her latest album received good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2019 2:30 AM

Lady T

by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2019 2:33 AM

r56, I came to the conclusion r53 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2019 2:34 AM

Yes, the Pointer Sisters really could sing everything. Pop, R&B, Soul, Country, Dance, Blues, Rock, etc... Basically give them a song and they could sing the crap out of it.

by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2019 2:38 AM

I was just a kid in the 80s, but I remember you heard the Pointer Sisters constantly. Their music seemed to be everywhere back then.

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2019 2:43 AM

Shara Nelson? or maybe I just really like this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2019 2:46 AM

I’ll concede that she has a limited range, but Natalie Merchant has a lovely voice, amazing stage presence and is a flawless live performer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2019 2:55 AM

Natalie Merchant was pretty damn famous in the 90s. Tigerlily was a massive album.

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2019 2:58 AM

Natalie was a massive BORE!

by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2019 3:17 AM

Gladys Knight, Gladys Knight, Gladys Knight. After her Superbowl performance, everyone was talking about how "classy" she's always been, and sometimes I think she "classed" herself right out of the running for GOAT. Should have been a little pushier, 'cause she deserved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2019 3:34 AM

[quote] Sheena Easton. Bitch could literally sing whatever style of music she wanted and was regarded as one of pop’s most versatile singers in the 80s and early 90s.

Since she's not really thought of as a vocalist, I'd have to agree with you about Sheena. Her hits were pop fluff but I think she had serious vocal chops -- a strong belt and very lovely high notes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2019 3:35 AM

Sinead had quite the pipes back in the day

by Anonymousreply 67February 19, 2019 3:40 AM

I said Karen Carpenter because she wasn’t respected as a great artists in her lifetime. A few years ago Richard was being interviewed by NPR’s Terry Grosse and she practically dismissed their music as bubblegum. I was appalled.

by Anonymousreply 68February 19, 2019 3:58 AM

Florence from FATM?

by Anonymousreply 69February 19, 2019 7:19 PM

Macy Gray

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2019 9:51 PM

R70, good choice.

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2019 9:52 PM

Lady T was completely underrated. Most white people don't even know who she is/was. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 72February 20, 2019 12:40 AM

SuBo!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 20, 2019 3:09 AM

Joan Osborne is really too good to be a one hit wonder (One of Us) Especially since her breakout album Relish was so good. She still makes a living as a singer. Her cover of blues songs Bring it on home is fantastic, almost as good as Relish.

by Anonymousreply 74February 20, 2019 3:19 AM

I'm white and I love Teena Marie. So sad she died young. Listen to her albums from the 80s and you'll see she should've been a big star. Totally underrated and never got the mainstream success her talent deserved.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2019 3:35 AM

The OP asked about popular music so that leaves out one hit wonders, up & comers & no charters.

The key word is underrated. Aretha (Queen of Soul) & Donna (Queen of Disco) have plenty of awards, charted songs, money & name recognition.

The Pointer Sisters have had plenty of rated success. Diana Ross does seem to lack some awards but not #1's or $ so I don't think she can be called underrated.

Belinda Carlisle would most likely be considered underrated of all of those named. She was nominated for a Grammy with The Go-Go's for their debut record but lost. She was nominated for her solo work as well but also lost. She still isn't in the Rock HOF despite the groundbreaking achievement with The Go-Go's (first all girl group to have write & play their own instruments with a #1 album). She might be the biggest household name for a female punk singer worldwide (guys tend to dominate that category more than any other except maybe bluegrass) but no one calls her "Queen of Punk" who would end up with that title?). Her net worth (minus her hubby's) is around $15 million. That pales in comparison to some of the above mentioned artists. She did blow much of her $ from her Go-Go's days which is one of the reasons for her solo career. Belinda's French album was the best thing she ever did & should've had more of a push worldwide. She basically said that after a meeting with MTV execs, she was shut out of video rotation for not showing the amount of skin they wanted from her. She also told off a powerful music exec & probably had repercussions from that as well.

Someone mentioned Laura Branigan who I would also consider a contender. She was nominated twice for a Grammy but never won any.

Teena Marie & Rosiin Murphy are also interesting choices but I'm not as familiar with their awards/ chart histories.

I'm trying to think of some females with vocal abilities that were shut out of having top 10 hits & a longer shelf life.

Lisa "How Can I Ease The Pain" Fischer comes to mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2019 5:01 AM

Irene Cara was supposed to be the next big thing of the 80's

but unfairly fizzled out after a couple of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2019 5:08 AM

Lisa Fischer only did one album and decided she liked being a backup singer better.

by Anonymousreply 78February 20, 2019 5:24 AM

Belinda Carlisle's French album is wonderful, if you haven't heard it go on Youtube and listen.

Irene Cara was allegedly a huge bitch and a cokehead and that ruined her career.

by Anonymousreply 79February 20, 2019 12:20 PM

Agreed. Donna Summer. Hands down.

by Anonymousreply 80February 20, 2019 1:07 PM

As a teenage gay white boy in the early 1980's, when I heard Donna Summer sing, I didn't think, "Wow. She's a great black singer." I thought, "What a great artist!" I went to see "Foxes" and went to the local record store and bought the single of "On the Radio". I felt the same about Whitney during her early days prior to all the drama. Seeing "Summer" on Broadway, I had "Heaven Knows" going through my head all night. I didn't have Cher songs going through my head after seeing "The Cher Show" even though it was a slightly better show. But if there's one black diva whom I can listen to over and over, it is Dame Shirley Bassey, the Queen of the Bond Theme Divas. When I watched the video recently of "For Your Eyes Only", I had to rewind it to hear Sheena Easton sing the theme song again. Same with any movie theme song sung by Maureen McGovern or Melissa Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2019 1:45 PM

Thanks R78 I didn't know that.

I guess that's a rare breed of singer to go back to playing second fiddle.

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2019 7:11 PM

Chris, of Giorgio & Chris. Hands down. Totally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2019 7:42 PM

Agree on Teena Marie.

Completely different style, but I love Sarah Cracknell of Saint Etienne. It's all just so lovely and retro and English (in a good way).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2019 7:54 PM

Sheena Easton. Fantastic pipes and technical abilities. Always on the edge of superstardom but couldn’t quite crack it. Great looking - the camera loved her - but she produced too much mediocre material in the late 80s (minus the Prince collabs) and never quite figured out her image. She did have a handful of infectious hits, more than enough for a greatest hits.

Even the pussy song was fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2019 10:22 PM

R81, you've got great taste for a gay white boy!

by Anonymousreply 86February 21, 2019 3:00 PM

Jeanette McDonald wins this thread.

by Anonymousreply 87February 21, 2019 3:30 PM

Alison Moyet.

by Anonymousreply 88February 21, 2019 3:36 PM

[timid whisper] connie francis?

by Anonymousreply 89February 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Mary Weiss of The Shangri-las.

They've never even gotten a nomination to the RRHoF unlike the RRHoF inductee Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 90February 21, 2019 3:44 PM

Mary Weiss is badass, really a subtly original edgy voice.

by Anonymousreply 91February 21, 2019 5:15 PM

Been listening to some Tracey Chapman and she deserves to be on this list.

by Anonymousreply 92February 23, 2019 4:07 PM

R4 absolutely love Alana Davis and though she would be a big star

by Anonymousreply 93February 23, 2019 4:15 PM

Donna Summer was a superstar. How is that being underrated

by Anonymousreply 94February 23, 2019 4:15 PM

Diana Ross. For some reason her recordings make it seem like her voice is thin and reedy.

In actuality it’s a full, large voice

by Anonymousreply 95February 23, 2019 4:16 PM

Debbie Harry is a better singer than given credit for being. And, again, once the most beautiful woman in the world hands down.

by Anonymousreply 96February 23, 2019 4:16 PM

Martha Wash has an inhuman voice but her obesity keeps her from the limelight

by Anonymousreply 97February 23, 2019 4:17 PM

I would not consider Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Dusty Springfield or Karen Carpenter “underrated” – they’ve all received their just due in the form of multiple honors and are considered icons.

I do agree that Sheena Easton, Laura Branigan, The Pointer Sisters, and Belinda Carlisle are underrated.

My choice would be Juice Newton, who could move easily between pop, country and rock and had a clear, beautiful voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 23, 2019 4:30 PM

OP, you're right she is underrated. Robert Christgau in one of his reviews said, "I mean, this woman will never compete for Lady Soul, but she enjoys singing as much as Diana Ross ever has, and if her timbre isn't as magical her robust technique makes up for it." WTF? I like Diana Ross's voice, but there is no way Diana Ross is a better singer than Donna Summer. Not in any universe.

by Anonymousreply 99February 23, 2019 4:48 PM

Diana Ross didn't have the most powerful voice, but she had a VERY commercial voice. That's why she was front and center when she was with the Supremes.

by Anonymousreply 100February 23, 2019 4:51 PM

R100, you are right but there is no way she can be described as a better singer than Summer. Summer had a very broad vocal range, whereas Ross had a very narrow one.

by Anonymousreply 101February 23, 2019 4:52 PM

Summer was definitely the better singer, but Ross had a perfectly good voice.

by Anonymousreply 102February 23, 2019 4:55 PM

Also, Diana had a very unique look that stood out compared to other R&B singers of the 60s and early 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 23, 2019 4:55 PM

Well to be a total bitch about it, Diana Ross was the only one who was good-looking and could really wear clothes well. God bless Aretha, Dionne and Gladys, but damn they weren't exactly cover girl material.

by Anonymousreply 104February 23, 2019 4:57 PM

Alison Goldfrapp and Roisin Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 105February 23, 2019 5:12 PM

Donna for the win.

by Anonymousreply 106February 23, 2019 5:34 PM

Roberta Flack

One of the most beautiful voices in pop music history. Roberta Flack had a total of six Top-10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including three that went to # 1:

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (1972)

"Killing Me Softly with His Song" (1973)

"Feel Like Makin' Love" (1974)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2019 2:32 AM

Romeo Void's Debra Iyall -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 24, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote] Martha Wash has an inhuman voice but her obesity keeps her from the limelight

Agreed. Martha has an amazing high soprano belting voice. I saw her in the mid-90s in L.A. She was singing to pre-recorded backing tracks but at the top end of her range her voice was so loud and powerful. She gave me goosebumps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 24, 2019 3:28 AM

Donna Summer wasn't/isn't underrated; she was/is HUGE! People loved her music and she skyrocketed to fame in her time.

I'd go with Irene Cara or maybe Gladys Knight, so talented, but never got all the glory.

by Anonymousreply 110February 24, 2019 3:36 AM

Love both of them too, good choices.

by Anonymousreply 111February 24, 2019 8:47 AM

Irene Cara was a cokehead bitch who was a nightmare to be around. That's why her career stalled.

by Anonymousreply 112February 24, 2019 12:29 PM

Irene Cara won an Oscar, so she is not underrated commensurate to her talent.

by Anonymousreply 113February 24, 2019 9:01 PM

Gladys Knight never got her due? Really?

by Anonymousreply 114February 24, 2019 9:06 PM

Teena Marie and Phyllis Hyman are the two big ones for me. They should've had much more success and recognition, given the level of talent each had.

by Anonymousreply 115February 24, 2019 9:07 PM

I think that Phyllis Hyman’s voice was one of a kind. From no one else have I heard those velvety deep low notes.

She never fit well into the pop world. Her work on Bway in Sophisticated Ladies was stunning— she should have delved more into the blues and classics with that phenomenal instrument

by Anonymousreply 116February 24, 2019 9:10 PM

Mary Martin, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 117February 27, 2019 2:50 PM

My hymen is underrated cause it’s gone!

by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2019 10:30 PM

Donna Summer? Gladys Knight? Diana Ross? Are you people insane? These three are amongst the most successful and well-recognised female singers in the history of pop music!

by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2019 10:44 PM

No shit, r119! I agree!

by Anonymousreply 120February 28, 2019 10:47 PM

Ann Wilson. Phenomenal voice. She did a better Robert Plant than Robert Plant. Still sounds amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2019 2:22 AM

Phoebe Snow

Minnie Ripperton

by Anonymousreply 122March 1, 2019 5:32 AM

Dusty Springfield

by Anonymousreply 123March 1, 2019 5:55 AM

Teena Marie was too ugly to even be rated.

by Anonymousreply 124March 1, 2019 6:02 AM

Debbie Harry was definitely an underrated singer. People were too focused on her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 125March 1, 2019 6:04 AM

Duffy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 1, 2019 6:21 AM

How about Laura Nyro:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 1, 2019 6:58 AM

She’s more alternative than pop, but I am obligated to say Tori Amos. She has always roughed up her voice a lot, using it as an instrument of texture, etc., rather than just sounding pretty all the time. But in her prime (alas, her voice has thinned out a lot with age), she is one of few performers who has ever been able to command an auditorium with just her piano and the power of her voice—no distractions, no dancers, no autotune, nothing else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 1, 2019 7:27 AM

🤮 at 128

by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2019 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!