Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you a vegan?

If so, why?

by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2019 3:55 PM

I'm a vegan because I want to be flabby, have manboobs, and have patches of hair falling out. And I want my children to have developmental disorders.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2019 3:26 PM

I'm not vegan but I'm trying to minimize animal proteins and maximize plant proteins. I find that it's easier if I try not to label it. I had turkey sausage for breakfast this morning because I wanted it. But I will almost never eat pork and there's a host of other animals I just won't eat at this point.

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2019 3:30 PM

If I were a vegan you would already know, because I would have TOLD YOU.

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2019 3:32 PM

I've tried but I start feeling listless and light-headed. Pretty soon I'm adding tuna to my bean salad, then I'm back to beef and chicken. I hate the whole butcher industry, and I read somewhere that by 2050 the world's beef needs will be so great they'd have to put cows in little pens inside structures like high-rises, just to meet the demand. Cow skyscrapers. The smell!

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2019 3:41 PM

Yes, OP.

Reasons: Health, Animals, and Environment (not in any particular order).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2019 3:47 PM

Dominion (2018) - full documentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2019 3:48 PM

God, no. I love a good steak and unfortunately don’t like enough vegetables to have a great variety if I went vegan. I can’t live on salad the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2019 3:53 PM

I'll add: for me I just don't crave meat. And I realized I never really have. I crave some preparations of meat - like stews and breaded fried things, but there are substitutions that are getting better every year. So, since I naturally prefer vegetables, it just isn't that difficult for me.

Consider this product that literally just hit the market at Whole Foods:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2019 3:55 PM

I've been a vegetarian for a year, before that I didn't eat meat at all. Only seafood, but now not even that. I can't buy eggs, but I do love cheese and bread. I'm sure I'll be vegan eventually...........but what about alcohol??? Oh... the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 9February 16, 2019 4:04 PM

And I’ll add: beans and legumes give me atrocious gas. I love a good, spicy red beans and rice but I once ate it two says in a row and had cramps so bad I thought I was being ripped apart.

by Anonymousreply 10February 16, 2019 4:05 PM

Why can’t you drink alcohol R9?

by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2019 4:05 PM

Crack is plant-based, R2.

by Anonymousreply 12February 16, 2019 6:42 PM

Weekend vegan here

by Anonymousreply 13February 16, 2019 6:49 PM

I’ve set myself a goal to go meatless at least two days a week. I seldom eat beef. I eat a lot of eggs and a lot more fish. I try to avoid any processed foods.

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2019 7:53 PM

New England Patriots Tight End Rob Gronkowski Says Eating Tom Brady’s Vegan Meals Have ‘Extended’ His NFL Career

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2019 8:07 PM

Would like to but just can’t find enough th8ngs I like. Sure I could do pasta every day - but I’d also be 300 pounds. Trying to be low carb AND being vegan would be impossible. I minimize beef - but eat a ton of salmon and occasionally chicken.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2019 8:33 PM

No, but trying to eat vegetarian 3 days a week.

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2019 9:09 PM

Yes I am. There are quite a few pro athletes that have gone vegan and say they are playing the best they have in years.

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2019 9:12 PM

Hail to Vega!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2019 9:27 PM

Not vegan, but have been a vegetarian for years. Still eat dairy, but honestly, even the sight of meat in the market almost makes me puke.

by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Because a vegan diet, high in organic raw foods, has made me look so young and vibrant, compared to how I looked on a standard American diet.

The numerous health benefits of a plant based diet, and it’s superiority over that of a high/moderate protein diet, are indisputable at this point. Personally I subscribe to the notion that health = beauty. I’m 33, have been a high raw vegan (80% of what I eat is uncooked, organic fruits, nuts, vegetables, seeds), since 26, and I STILL get asked if I’m a college student.

My bone structure, skin, face, and body look like someone in their early 20’s and I know it’s because of I’ve stuck with this diet. I’ve posted about this before and received the usual snark, but for me, it works. I’m honest at least that I stay motivated to remain vegan just for superficial reasons.

Oddly, I I’d eat the wrong things (too much processed or cooked vegan food, I can almost immediately tell the difference in my face the next day—I look older. As all. AS I go back to a high/fully raw diet, my face returns to looking younger. It’s unbelievable!

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2019 9:40 PM

R21, I'm sorry but you sound delusional. Your face looks different within 24 hours of eating something cooked?

And please provide the stats that show a plant diet is UNDENIABLY superior. Different diets work for different people.

You're 33 but look 25? Woopty Doo! Often there is hardly a change in looks between those ages.

by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2019 9:46 PM

I'm 47 but look 45

by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2019 9:53 PM

I’m not going to provide numerous studies which have shown that vegan/plant based dietary protect against cancer, stroke, diabetes, etc, when that information can easily be found with a Google search, R22.

And if looking early 20’s at age 33 was commonplace or normal, I would t get such shocked reactions when people find out how old I really am. It’s atypical, and in looking st photos of myself from when I was age 20/21, where I ate fast food, lots of meat? And dairy I actually look much older/worse then than I do now.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to accept the strong correlation between food and health, and the even stronger correlation between health and looks.

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2019 9:54 PM

Maybe you should do some research R24. Some foods are better for you cooked than uncooked and vice versa. For instance, carrots are better cooked because of the beta carotene.

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2019 10:02 PM

No. Fuck cows!

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2019 10:05 PM

I'm 45 but look 47.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2019 10:12 PM

This woman eats just fruits and looks like crap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2019 10:18 PM

That's not what you purported, r24. You said that plant diets were undeniably BETTER, not that they prevent cancer. Those are two different things. Some people simply cannot eat vegan diets.

Glad it works for you though.

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2019 10:23 PM

No. I love animals, but giving up cheese? I could maybe make a swing for vegetarianism.

I do think there is something to people who eat lots of raw fruits/vegetables that enhances youthfulness.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2019 10:24 PM

I consider myself MOSTLY plant-based. The only animal product I eat is seafood. I will cheat once in a while though, usually when there aren't many options available. Such as weddings, family dinners, etc. I am a type 1 diabetic and my cholesterol was high so I vowed to do this to lower it so I wouldn't have to take meds. I though my insulin needs would go through the roof with all those carbs, but I was prepared to take extra insulin in order to lower my cholesterol. Well I was shocked that my insulin sensitivity went through the roof almost immediately. I have reduced my daily units by about 40% in less than a year's time and my numbers have never been better. So I sing the praises of plant based for diabetics any chance I get. The strict vegans have even better results according to the research I have done. It's tempting but I don't know if I could stick to it fully. In a nutshell fat, especially saturated fat gums up insulin receptors and causes insulin resistance. That's why the keto diet can cause type 2 over time. Between the heart and kidney benefits plus this I am sold.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2019 10:24 PM

Oh and eating more fiber can replace that satiation that all those animal fats provide.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2019 10:44 PM

Yes, because of the animals first and foremost but it's also been good for my health.

by Anonymousreply 33February 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Animals willingly sacrifice themselves for humans. That's the way it is. For the good of creatures whom eat eachother? You fool.

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2019 12:37 AM

Umm, no.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2019 12:48 AM

I try to be somewhat as I think meat consumption is linked to higher cancer rates and I dont like the idea of killing an animal for food or any other reason

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2019 5:06 AM

R16 , to be healthy it is recommended to replace meat (which has a fair amount of protein) with a combination of seeds, nuts and legumes. The healthy fats from the seeds and nuts are a bonus.

I've been doing low carb vegan for years now. The majority of the pasta I eat is made from the flour of pulses which is about 24% protein. Vegan cheeses are great for an occasional treat but do not all provide protein, just lots of fat.

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2019 5:30 AM

Lacto-veg following a mostly Ayurvedic diet. Many vegans go to extreme lengths to be virtuous, eating absolutely tasteless dairy and meat substitutes and replicating food combinations. I've tried a few of the vegan recipes touting "you won't believe it's not (whatever)!!!!". They were inedible.

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2019 5:49 AM

R38, it's not about being virtuous. More to do with avoiding supporting the dairy industry.

Bobby calves?

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2019 8:05 AM

I might be an on-again/off-again vegan if it weren't for cheese and ice cream. I don't eat a shitload of meat, and eggs only very occasionally. But I am being counseled to eat more of it. It goes against my nature to eat much beyond burgers or roast chicken.

by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2019 9:32 AM

Not a vegan, I can even say I am anti-vegan, especially when it's about all the false informations going around :

- we are not overpopulated, we are in an aging population phase, the baby boom generation is getting really old, and since they didn't have 6-7 kids themself, there isn't enought "adult" population (20-65) to cover for the financing of the pension (talking about France pension system, where the workforce is financing the pension of old people, we don't have 401, and have to push the pension age from 60 to 65 to compensate the lack of workforce). China has given up the 1 child policy, Japan is begging their adults to have kids, and Europe barely cover with 1.9 child per couple. And it's been like that for decades.

- Humans are not like animals, they need calcium all through they're life to keep a good bone density. Comparing our metabolism to animals is stupid, a bear can hybernate for months, a human would died of thirst after a week. My mum has broken her shoulder, has now a few screw to keep her bones together, I was talking to a friend about the difficulty to open a yogurt with a broken shoulder, her answer: "make her give up dairies, remember milk is only for babies!", NO IT'S NOT you CUNT! my mum is 78, has not problem digesting dairies, and need to consolidate her shoulder, fuck off!

- I would love to see farmers being sued for animal cruelty instead of making documentary to convince people to give up meat and dairies, but somehow the vegans and Peta prefers to encourage people to fuck their health. There are laws to protect animal you know?

- In their arguments, I would love the vegans and anti specism movement to get some decency and stop comparing the farming industry and slavery, or the holocaust, that's digusting. get yourself an history book.

by Anonymousreply 41February 17, 2019 10:00 AM

R41, somehow I don't think the insect population cares much about the solvency of the Social Security 'Trust Fund'.

by Anonymousreply 42February 17, 2019 11:28 AM

Being vegan also means no more milky undies, girls.

by Anonymousreply 43February 17, 2019 11:32 AM

[quote]we are not overpopulated

The West is barely replacing itself. Africa, Asia and Latin America are overpopulated and becoming increasingly so, one of the main reason for alien invasion of Western Europe, the US and Canada.

[quote]they need calcium all through they're life to keep a good bone density.

And yet the majority of cultures have other sources of calcium, do not depend on dairy for their "good bone density".

by Anonymousreply 44February 17, 2019 11:43 AM

The calcium argument is just as idiotic as the protein argument. I really love morons who accuse one side of being uninformed while showing off their lack of knowledge about basic things.

I’m mostly plant based, won’t eat any meat or fish, but I do eat eggs and dairy on occasions when I don’t have any vegan choices.

You can get more than enough nutrients from a plant based diet, and the only supplement that I take is B12 and the occasional vitamin D supplement to maintain my level.

Reason: I’ve always disliked the taste of meat (except for that other meat). Now I can add the environment and the fact that I love animals to the list, but it really all started because I disliked the texture, smell, and taste of meat.

by Anonymousreply 45February 17, 2019 11:53 AM

[quote]I would love to see farmers being sued for animal cruelty instead of making documentary to convince people to give up meat and dairies, but somehow the vegans and Peta prefers to encourage people to fuck their health.

I agree that there is something to this. I think it's essential that the consumption of meat products is drastically reduced for the sake of the environment, for health reasons and for the sake of the animals. This needs to go hand in hand with the implementation of standards for the humane conduct of dairy and poultry farms.

However, the vegan lobby tends towards a moral rather than a justice platform, and that needs to change to bring wider support behind campaigns towards reform. Insisting that a vegan diet is achievable or even desirable for everyone is extremely off-putting to the ordinary person, but it is an article of faith for many vegans. They have to face the fact that veganism is expensive, time-consuming and difficult, and not an option for many, many people.

by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2019 1:06 PM

Vegan 🌱 here,

I eat starches such as potatoes 🥔, rice, and oatmeal , quinoa to feel full. Look up McDougall for some guidance on what to eat,

I exercise in the AM and PM. Eat 3 times a day w 2 snacks. Low body fat. Great shape.

So many plant based athletes like Rich Roll and others. the the low inflammation of the diet is supportive for endurance athletes.

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2019 1:23 PM

Rich Roll is a steroid user. All those vegan "athletes" are.

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2019 1:32 PM

To add to my post at R45, my partner has a family history of high cholesterol and after his own cholesterol started skyrocketing, he decided to go vegan.

He was someone who wouldn’t eat a meal without some kind of animal protein and I was sceptical at first, but he has stuck with it. A year ago he started to follow Dr. Greger’s eating plan and his cholesterol has never been better.

Interestingly enough, my family has a high number of people with high cholesterol and cardiac attacks, but I have never had any issues, probably because I never really ate meat as a child.

by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2019 1:35 PM

I'm not vegan, but it never ceases to amaze me the level of vitriol that vegans have to endure for their choice of diet. It's strange. Why not chastise the people on keto diets who are eating pork rinds for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2019 1:43 PM

Because keto works, R50. I am living proof of it. This year alone I lost 3" off my waistline.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2019 2:32 PM

R50 because the vegans act and talk like the member of a cult, who are recruiting for their sect. An apocalyptic one, where to avoid the end of the world, you have to stop consuming animal product, not have children, and the planet will be saved once the human population disappeared. And when they do have children, they use them as guinea pig by feeding them without dairies, we already have 2 babies who died of malnutrition in France and Belgium because of vegan parents.

Not everybody will check with their doctor when changing their diet, not everybody has a dietetician diploma to know how to compensate, most people will just remove entire food group from their diet and see "how they feel", stop playing with your health. Every yoga teacher who advice somebody to change their diet without checking the medical history and family medical history should be put to prison.

R44 [quote]The West is barely replacing itself. Africa, Asia and Latin America are overpopulated and becoming increasingly so, one of the main reason for alien invasion of Western Europe, the US and Canada.

As I said China and Japan (Asia) are not overpopulated, it's loosing population, Africa is certainly not overpopulated, but the people running most of these countries don't organize the farming industry making them more likely to suffer of famina, like Europe who subsidize agriculture to make sure we have enough food at an affordable price and not just let the market make the prices. The alien invasion are made of people running away from poverty or war, not because their country cannot provide enough food for their population. It's more a problem or organization than number of people.

Despite what the far right is saying, we NEED those immigrants to come to do the jobs we no longer want to do, and we have asked for over 50 years immigrants to come to do our shitty job, except we fail to integrate them and to give a proper job to the second and third generation who was born and raise in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2019 3:25 PM

Everything I’ve tried that’s “vegan” has been revolting in both taste and texture. Let’s face it, animal fat gives a better flavor and texture. Vegan baked goods and condiments like mayo are abominations.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2019 6:27 PM

PETA asks Pixar to edit the animation of Toy Story 4 to remove Bo Peep's crook. Yes, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2019 8:40 PM

I'm a mostly vegan vegetarian. I eat occasional dairy when I'm traveling, because protein can be low in strictly vegan road food options.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2019 9:06 PM

R50, you’re full of shit. It’s interesting how vegans are always portrayed as terrorists, not only on DL, when I don’t see anyone starting “Meat is Murder” threads. Instead there are countless anti-vegan threads and comments.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2019 10:18 PM

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2019 12:54 AM

R50: ....it's loosing population...

Losing. If you can't even get that right...

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2019 6:34 AM

Oh, and r41? False informations?

There is no such word as "informations". It's always "information".

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote]The alien invasion are made of people running away from poverty or war, not because their country cannot provide enough food for their population.

Uh, no R52. Those people are opportunists, paying thousands of dollars (poor? hardly!) to traffickers for a chance at an easier life not based on family/clan/sect/bribes, but simply for showing up at the border. Overpopulation (West and North Africa have the world's greatest birthrate), tribalism, corruption, and Islam create societies empty of everything but humans and hatred.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2019 6:52 AM

I went vegetarian in 1976 when I learned that it takes ten pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. I was going to stay on the diet for a year as a personal protest against world hunger. After a year the thought of eating meat grossed me out so I never ent back. I later added seafood to my diet.

Once I hit menopause my weight went up so I switched to a vegan diet six years ago. My weight, blood sugar and cholesterol all dropped a lot.

I am going to Europe for 2.5 months and will eat dairy and seafood when my options require it, but otherwise I follow a pretty strict plant based diet.

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2019 11:08 AM

R57 is quoting Liz Cheney, which is pretty much what anti-vegans are: rightwing Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2019 11:23 AM

R52, in regards to talking to your doctor before changing your diet, the majority of doctors no nothing about diet. Surprisingly medical school requires only one class at most on nutrition.

What makes this even worse is that some medications deplete the body of certain nutrients. For example, some blood pressure medications deplete the body of magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can lead to heart disease.

Our farming techniques are depleting magnesium from the soil and our food that should be high in magnesium is not. I've begun supplementing my diet with magnesium citrate. It's pretty interesting to learn how important magnesium is to our bodies.

by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2019 11:46 AM

No , R57. I’m not vegan, don’t believe in it and virulently anti-Trump.

You’re an imbecile. Veganism doesn’t make you morally superior or righteous, just a pompous pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2019 12:49 PM

A group of crows is called a murder. A group of cows is called a herd.

What's a group of vegans called? A buzzkill.

How many vegans does it take to make a buzzkill? Just one.

by Anonymousreply 65February 18, 2019 12:54 PM

Animal welfare. Environment.

by Anonymousreply 66February 18, 2019 12:56 PM

And R66? Seriously. I do volunteer work at an animal shelter and I’m deeply involved in the saving the environment. That doesn’t mean I can’t eat a steak. Too many vegans go off the deep end with it. Year of the Dog is an excellent portrayal of the tragic fanaticism of vegans.

Eat all the crappy, tasteless food you want and leave others be.

by Anonymousreply 67February 18, 2019 1:00 PM

What the Health. Watch it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2019 1:12 PM

Funny how three words can cause R67 such agita. I really thought that a minimal response, with no proselytizing or expatiation on ethics, would leave the pond unrippled. Someone ate a piece of moldy bacon it seems.

R66

by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2019 1:15 PM

No , R69. No bacon today. Comparing non-vegans to right wing Trump supporters is vile and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 70February 18, 2019 1:39 PM

R70, where did r66 do that?

by Anonymousreply 71February 18, 2019 2:51 PM

R64 -- Actually, being so virulently anti-vegan for no other reason except that it bothers you makes you the insufferable one.

by Anonymousreply 72February 18, 2019 3:22 PM

I was thinking the same thing, r72.

by Anonymousreply 73February 18, 2019 3:43 PM

We know that the word "vegan" in a thread is catnip to some people.

by Anonymousreply 74February 18, 2019 3:47 PM

No one cares what you eat but stop with the posturing and self-righteous patting on the back. I feel the sanme way about rabid xtians.

by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2019 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!