Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Star is Born' screenwriter says Lady Gaga cannot act

[quote]He also said he and Bradley Cooper made the decision to write a script that would seem improvisational to moviegoers — a major change for Roth...

[quote]“I write 180-page scripts with a lot of prose,” he recalled. “No disrespect to Lady Gaga, but I’m not sure it’s in her DNA to do big set piece things with monologues.”

[quote]Roth also admitted his guiding principle is a simple one: “Fear. I was worried about winding up with egg on my face.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2019 4:33 PM

Glenn Close paid him to say this.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2019 8:50 PM

Haha

Haha HAHA!

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2019 8:56 PM

Gaga was good in A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2019 8:58 PM

Still better actress than Mangelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2019 8:58 PM

I don’t particularly like her but this stage that unnecessary and hurtful. Also, it doesn’t actually equal his saying she can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2019 9:03 PM

She's such a jealous cunt

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2019 9:06 PM

[quote] “She asked me what she might look at because she’s not an actress by trade. She said, ‘What can I learn from?’

This proves what a poseur she really is. If you watched the Hollywood Reporter round table, she brags that she's a trained actress, and then proceeds to list multiple acting methods that she's studied. The other actresses at the table can barely keep themselves from laughing.

You can tell that the other people involved with the movie have had it with her. If the screenwriter is openly mocking her, then the rest of them are doing the same in private. Her songwriting partners looked noticeably annoyed with her on the Grammys red carpet last weekend. And you thought Barbra had problems with her movie.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2019 9:24 PM

He's just saying what anyone who knows much about acting knows--Gaga did a decent job with a script written to cover her inexperience and short-comings. Different situation than with Cher, who showed that she could act in a supporting part in Silkwood and then anchored Moonstruck. Cher showed she could play not-Cher--i.e. a working-class lesbian or an Italian-American widow in Brooklyn.

Gaga's performance is more like Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan--where the script and cuts were managed to make an inexperienced actress with a ton of charisma look as good as possible. Gaga's better than Madonna, but the role just isn't demanding the way the real-actor roles are. Transformation involves more than removing eye make-up.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2019 9:35 PM

Comparisons to Cher aren't necessarily fair. Cher did a weekly TV variety series for several years. She also did Broadway before she did movies. The theater is a far more disciplined environment. She was working against top notch actresses like Kathy Bates, Karen Black and Sandy Dennis and Robert Altman. That's top notch academia. If Gaga keeps at it, she could have a good career in the movies. Unlike Madonna, who claimed she didn't need training because she considered herself a natural actress, Gaga does seem willing to learn as much as she can to succeed.

[quote]And you thought Barbra had problems with her movie

When one of Gaga's costars thanks their doctor for giving them the Valium they took to get through the making of the movie, then I think we can say Gaga was really a handful. Till then, Babs still wins this contest.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2019 9:46 PM

What R8 said.

I am sure the film editor could add to what the screenwriter said, but never will.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2019 9:48 PM

R9, The comparison to Cher is because Cher was a singer/entertainer who won a Best Actress Oscar and, of course, Lady Gaga's in the running for one. What you're pointing out is that Cher had been working as an actor for quite some time before she won for Moonstruck. So, it's not a case of Gaga having no potential, but whether she deserves an Oscar for A Star is Born.

I'd say, no, she doesn't--her performance isn't in the same caliber as Cher's for Moonstruck. (Or Liza's for Cabaret, for that matter.) But, I'd also agree, she's better than Madonna, whose only passable film performances are those where the director, editor and screenwriter figured out workarounds to cover for her limitations--DSS, Dick Tracy, Evita (? Never did see it--I did see Patti LuPone do it though--27 years old and voice made of iron.)

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2019 10:00 PM

I walked out of Evita. Shitty direction + shitty acting + shitty music + shitty art direction.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2019 10:16 PM

Gaga was pretty believable in ASIB. But now she seems over it and over Cooper. She was pretty overcome when she started the LV show, and it was obvious she was thinking about Cooper. I think he loved her too, while on set, off-set hes back to Irina Shayk, who looks like someone Patrick Nagel would have painted. Shes the epitome of that blue eyed black haired Nagel woman of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2019 10:18 PM

You really believe that he and Irina are "together"?

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2019 10:23 PM

Yes, I believe that Cooper & Shayk are together. She was fixing his bowtie recently at one of the awards shows and Gaga was there looking dissociative and out to lunch, actually really freaked out tbqh.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2019 10:27 PM

Yet GaGa’s acting in the movie is much better than the screenplay.

Gaga hater trying far too hard here.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2019 10:28 PM

Madonna is behind this.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2019 10:31 PM

Wow, he definitely does say she is not a great actress. He also says she never will be. Can't change your DNA. Either he is honest to a fault or he hates the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2019 10:36 PM

Did you read the screenplay, R16?

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2019 10:36 PM

I agree with r8. Gaga isn’t a great actress but she was competent in that role, Cher was magnificent.

I think Gaga could learn to be good if she can put her ego behind her. I’m not saying she’s an egomaniac just that most people I consider to be talented don’t seem to have a huge ego stopping them from truly becoming a character. Cher was a revelation to me, I would never have guessed she had it in her.

Madge will never be able to contain her ego to become an actress.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2019 10:38 PM

Lady Gaga is nothing more than manufactured product and people gobble it up. Cher and Madonna broke barriers and were very much for gay rights and hiv and aids research before it was popular. Lady Gaga has stolen everything from her name to her looks. She constantly contradicts herself in interviews. Basically begged the gays to like her... and her singing is mediocre. She’s no Whitney, Mariah, Adele, or even Kelly Clarkson. Two years before her “avant-garde “ looks the broad was sitting in an Abercrombie hoodie and a rich bitch ponytail. Sure there are some catchy songs but it all feels so...reductive.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2019 10:40 PM

R11 A better comparison to Lady Gaga and A Star Is Born is actually Bette Midler and The Rose. Both singers who jumped into playing the lead role of a singer as their first real film and getting an Oscar nomination for it.

Difference being of course that Bette can act and didn't already have a plastic looking face like Gaga has.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2019 10:41 PM

I don't agree. Gaga did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2019 10:54 PM

Olivia Colman will win. Gaga and Glenn needn't bother showing up.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2019 11:25 PM

I wonder if the press will pick up the fact that $2,000 was mysteriously taken out of Glenn Close’s PayPal account after this interview went to print?

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2019 11:25 PM

Nothing wrong with what he said.

He was smart to tailor the script so that it would be well-received to the basic audience. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing riveting, and no real expectation to be great.

Self-promotion is Gaga's biggest talent, so this seems like a decent fit. She's a persona and she makes some money. That doesn't make her an actress, nor should it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2019 11:39 PM

[quote]Difference being of course that Bette can act

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2019 2:00 AM

Cher didn’t do shit for us except sell us and her lesbian daughter out.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Gaga was great on AHS and she was great in ASIB. She deserves Best Actress. Just because Glenn has lost so many times before is NO reason to give her a pity Oscar. I saw The Wife and she was too much.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2019 3:26 AM

I noticed the camera cut away a lot when she had a big emotional scene. Those scenes are usually catnip to a real actress (see clip below) but she just doesn't have the chops. Maybe with more experience...

But she's competent and I enjoyed the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2019 4:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!