Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wait A Minute... WHAT? What Is With These Gay Trump Supporters?

(PHOTO)Michael Sanchez, (brother of Lauren Sanchez and involved with this Bezo mess and good friend of Roger Stone) Has Been Married to His Husband Since 2011 & Enjoys Playing Tennis. "The original Halloween bags created by my brilliant hubby @CaseyAshby! Happy Halloween!"

How ironic... the husband works for GUCCI...

I want explanation here! Someone explain to me these gay Trump supporters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 25, 2019 3:34 PM

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2019 6:25 PM

What's to explain. They are idiots. Who designs a Halloween costume that precludes the use of your hands?

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2019 6:25 PM

Honestly, please someone explain Trump supporters in general to me.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2019 6:26 PM

Why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2019 6:26 PM

It's all about access and being accepted. I also think a lot gay tRump supporters want to be in the "club" whatever that is

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2019 6:26 PM

[quote]Honestly, I can't understand the gay hate for Trump, what has he done against gays?

Oh, help me Holy Ghost...

[quote]Why do you care?

Well... given that Trump and his minions are a threat to my freedom and rights, I just can't help but be somewhat concerned.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2019 6:30 PM

GUCCI!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2019 6:34 PM

No different to women supporters or POC. They think that by allying themselves with the patriarchy they'll be seen as special or the cool chick, acceptable gay/POC etc. They'll have a valued place in the hierarchy when the rest of us are are getting what coming to us etc.

It's hilarious bullshit of course, because Dump doesn't even give a shit about the stupid white guys that support him.....unless they're Russian obviously.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2019 6:35 PM

He’s actually on our side. Anyone who has known him in NYC for years understands that.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2019 6:39 PM

He went to Liza's last wedding! That has to count for something!

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]He’s actually on our side. Anyone who has known him in NYC for years understands that.

Well HELLO, "Friend Of Dorothy's"... NO! I don't understand it! Trump was VERY transparent during his campaign about what he was about. But, okay... let's accept that and people "could" have been fooled. HOWEVER, given the people that Trump has surrounded himself with, and who he kowtows to, it is absolutely incomprehensible how any self-respecting gay person can support him or this Administration.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2019 6:45 PM

They're 1%ers through and through.

They don't give a shit about other gay people.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2019 6:47 PM

R10 A desperate troll being desperate.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2019 6:48 PM

He demolished the Bonwit Teller building. He is not on our side.

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2019 6:48 PM

These are people with severe internalized homophobia. It's really a disgrace to witness. The same as it is watching women, etc support republican agenda. It obviously stings a little more when it's gay guys. I agree they value some odd level of 'acceptance' from people who would otherwise strip them of their dignity. Republicans are often very nice to your face but their true colors always come out eventually.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2019 6:49 PM

Well look OP, it IS a rainbow. I don't get it either. Just means we really are everybody now. (Silver lining/glass half full and all that.)

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2019 6:49 PM

I'm a gay Republican who voted Libertarian at the last election and if Trump is on the ticket will do so again in 2020. Years ago most gay Republicans were primarily in the party for economic reasons or were pro-life voters. Although I am still a paper member of the NY Log Cabin chapter many of the members are now what I would call low class Trump supporters. I never see the old gang there.I

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2019 6:50 PM

They can enjoy the concentration camps Trump's alt right base wants to put them in and which "principled conservatives" would look the other way on.

They're collaborators desperate for approval that prayed every night not to be gay as kids. Sucks for them.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote]They're 1%ers through and through.

It has to be in spirit only because the husband is a retail sales clerk at GUCCI and the Sanchez guy is a wannabe talent agent whose career record can't be verified.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2019 6:51 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2019 6:54 PM

The Gestapo are the ones who insist you must like Judy, drain your pasta (or not, depending on whether you are Gestapo or SS) and be anti-Trump. Live and let live guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2019 6:54 PM

Well, my respect to you R18 for admitting (even on an anonymous board) that you are gay and a Republican. But honey, I still don't get it. And honestly, I am trying. It's just like Black Republicans. I simply don't get them either.

You are being told nearly on a daily basis that you are hated and that they don't want you. And yet...

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2019 6:56 PM

[quote] It has to be in spirit only because the husband is a retail sales clerk at GUCCI and the Sanchez guy is a wannabe talent agent whose career record can't be verified.

Oh, that's even better.

They're "aspirational" 1%ers. Mr. Gucci sales clerk votes Republican because all the customers he rings up do, and he thinks parroting what they say means that he is one of them.

As a wise woman once said, "You can drop the attitude. You only work in a shop."

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2019 6:56 PM

I wish the NY Log Cabin chapter still met at the Women's Republican Club. It was very nice back in the day. I am out of the loop so I don't know how the chapter made the decision but they now meet at the Manhattan Republican Club which recently invited the founder of the Proud Boys to speak. I will not set foot in it.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2019 6:57 PM

Probably raised Catholic and now a self hating gay. Gay Rethugs are some of the saddest creatures. This one is desperately jealous that his sister landed the biggest wallet in the world and he's stuck with a retail employee.

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2019 6:58 PM

[quote] Although I am still a paper member of the NY Log Cabin chapter many of the members are now what I would call low class Trump supporters. I never see the old gang there...

Lesbo here.

Just for fun, I looked up the staff and directors of the national Log Cabin group. (This was two or three years back.) And much to my surprise, it's half-straight people! The GAY republican can't even pull together a leadership of gays--that's how insignificant they are. And of the women, only one was an actual lesbian.

There is only one Log Cabin Republican lesbian. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2019 6:59 PM

R23 He's proud to be a token for the GOP. Bet he loves getting all that down low Republican cock and being called a fag afterwards. Clean yourself up, whore.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2019 7:00 PM

[quote]the Manhattan Republican Club which recently invited the founder of the Proud Boys to speak.

And here we go! This just once again boils down to racism and White fear. I don't care if your last name is Sanchez. It's all about colorism.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2019 7:01 PM

Unfortunately gays are not immune from being right wing fools. Gay who support Trump and the GOP are just people who hate the thought of one dime of their tax money going to help anyone who needs helping. They are stingy, self centered, bigoted, assholes. The fact that they're gay is just a coincidence. People have to stop assuming that being gay automatically means you're a liberal. The percentages may not be large, but we have to always remember that we have some seriously bad people in our ranks.

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2019 7:02 PM

"And of the women, only one was an actual lesbian."

And of the women, only one was a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2019 7:10 PM

Agreed, R30! This is just unbelievable to me! People such as Ken Mehlman deliberately and consciously hurt US! If I were to see someone like a Mehlman on the street I'd spit in his face!

We want nothing more than equal rights and to be left alone. And yet, you have more than few individuals who belong to the Republican party that are actively trying to hurt us. There are gays who support this? Is the attitude among those gays; "I've got mine and to hell with the rest"?

Where are these same people when we are getting beaten in the streets, marching for AIDS research, marriage, etc? Where are they? And yet, they get the benefits and continue to support those that actively work to hurt us.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2019 7:14 PM

Well, just look at this here!

Casey Ashby's

General Manager, GUCCI

Beverly Hills, California

SUMMARY

Casey Ashby currently works at Gucci Casey studied at University of Phoenix-Utah Campus and Casey is located at Beverly Hills, California.

Work

General Manager at Gucci

Past Companies

Massimo Dutti, Massimo Dutti, Michael Kors, MZ Media, HUGO BOSS, BCBGMAXAZRIAGROUP

Education

Public Relations/Image Management@University of Phoenix-Utah Campus

UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX???? Isn't that the on-line scam for profit mess??? And, these are the gay Trump supporters. Unfuckingbelievable...

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2019 7:30 PM

I know of one and he just does it for the attention. Remember Trump is a troll and so are some gay people. Mix in self loathing and it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2019 7:36 PM

r2, well, everything, but you're clearly too stupid to have been noticing.

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote] He’s actually on our side. Anyone who has known him in NYC for years understands that.

R10, If Trump is on our side, I can't imagine what it will be like when we get an enemy.

[quote] Less than two hours after Trump and his virulently anti-LGBTQ activist Vice President Mike Pence were sworn into office, all mentions of LGBTQ issues were removed from the official White House webpage.

[quote] Trump signed an executive order stating policy to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) -- landmark legislation that provides access to healthcare for millions of LGBTQ people.

[quote] Trump's State Department removed from the website former Secretary of State John Kerry's apology for the infamous "Lavender Scare" witch hunt in the 1950s and 1960s, and other content LGBTQ content, like information on pride month observances and the State Department’s Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBT Persons.

[quote] Trump succeeded in repealing an Obama-era executive order that helped protect gay people from employment discrimination.

[quote] Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Gorsuch has a long and troubling career opposing civil rights, including for LGBTQ people.

[quote] Vice President Pence cast the tie-breaking vote to confirm Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education, after all Democratic Senators and two Republican Senators voted against her confirmation. DeVos' family foundation funded major anti-LGBTQ orgnazations and campaigns. Her anti-equality record was denounced by major civil rights organizations, including HRC, which actively worked to stop her confirmation.

[quote] Trump appoints Jeff Session for Attorney General

[quote] Sessions' very public record of hostility towards the LGBTQ community and federal legislation designed to protect vulnerable Americans makes it nearly impossible to believe that he will vigorously enforce this statute that he worked so hard to defeat. – Judy Shepard, mother of Matthew Shepard who was murdered by a hate crime

[quote] Under the direction of Sessions and DeVos, the U.S. Departments of Justice and Education revoked the Obama Administration’s guidance detailing school protections for transgender students under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

[quote] Ben Carson as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Carson has made clear he opposes equality for LGBTQ people. His harmful rhetoric has included equating marriage equality with bestiality, opposed laws that protect LGBTQ Americans from discrimination, suggested transgender people be required to use separate bathrooms, and joked that same-sex couples might have their wedding cakes poisoned by anti-equality bakers.

[quote] Trump’s HUD -- led by anti-LGBTQ proponent Secretary Ben Carson -- took two steps backwards on protecting LGBTQ people.

[quote] Trump’s HHS changed two surveys of older Americans, removing a question about sexual orientation. The department uses the National Survey of Older Americans Act Participants (NSOAAP) to decide how to provide federal funding to groups working with the elderly, and removing the sexual orientation question was the only change made to the survey.

[quote] White House quietly appointed right-wing extremist Roger Severino to serve as Director of the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the HHS. Severino served as Director of the DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society for the Heritage Foundation where he wrote scathing opinions on transgender issues, abortion rights, and gay marriage.

[quote] The Trump Administration quietly killed a plan to collect data regarding sexual orientation and gender identity from the American Community Survey conducted by the Census Bureau. This was Trump’s latest move to erase LGBTQ people from federal surveys and disrupt programs providing direct assistance to the LGBTQ community.

continued

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote] Trump nominated anti-LGBTQ extremist Mark Green as the next U.S. Secretary of the Army. If confirmed, he would succeed Eric Fanning, who made history as the first openly gay person to lead a branch of the U.S. military. As a Tennessee state senator, he supported allowing businesses to discriminate, encouraged his state to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples following the Obergefell v. Hodges case, and called being transgender a "disease".

[quote] Trump signed an executive order giving AG Sessions discretion to create a license-to-discriminate in agencies across the federal government against LGBTQ Americans and women.

[quote] On the same day Trump’s decided to ban trans service members from the military, DOJ asserts that our nation’s civil rights laws do not apply to lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

[quote] The Trump DOJ files a brief arguing that a Colorado baker has a constitutionally protected right to refuse service to same-sex couples.

[quote] Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos officially rescinded critical 2011 Title IX guidance related to schools' obligations to address sexual harassment, including sexual violence. For the LGBTQ community, which faces disproportionate levels of sexual assault and violence, this decision sends a strong signal that the Department of Education will not use its full power to protect them from harm.

[quote] In a stunning new piece by the The New Yorker, Trump “jokes” Pence wants to hang LGBTQ people. Mike Pence has spent his career attacking LGBTQ people in Congress, in the governor's mansion, and now in the White House. Donald Trump's remark lays open the depth of their hostility and animosity toward LGBTQ people, and just how deeply they believe we should be treated as second-class citizens in our own country.

[quote] White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made the startling admission that Trump agreed with the position articulated before the Supreme Court by his solicitor general, Noel Francisco, that businesses should be allowed to hang signs that say they won’t serve LGBTQ customers.

[quote] Trump fires remaining members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA). Over the summer, six members resigned over the Trump Administration’s complacency in fighting the HIV epidemic.

[quote] The Trump-Pence administration launched the “Division of Conscience and Religious Freedom” at HHS, which could enable discrimination against LGBTQ people, women, and others.

[quote] The Senate confirmed Kansas Governor Sam Brownback for Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom. Vice President Mike Pence cast the tie-breaking vote after Brownback’s nomination failed to earn a majority of votes in the Senate. Brownback now joins the ranks of other anti-LGBTQ nominees put forward by the Trump-Pence Administration.

[quote] Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT), introduced a bill in the Senate called the “First Amendment Defense Act” (FADA), which seeks to permit discrimination by individuals, many businesses, and non-profit organizations against same-sex couples, single parents and unmarried couples. The bill was cosponsored by 21 Senate Republicans.

[quote] the Trump-Pence administration’s appointment of anti-LGBTQ extremists Tony Perkins and Gary Bauer to the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom. Tony Perkins and Gary Bauer have devoted their careers to limiting the legal rights of LGBTQ people to live their lives openly and honestly.

[quote] the Trump-Pence Administration’s creation of a taxpayer-funded task force as part of their ongoing campaign to license discrimination against LGBTQ people in the public square. AG Jeff Sessions announced the creation of the task force at the U.S. Department of Justice alongside anti-LGBTQ extremists from Alliance Defending Freedom and the Colorado baker who refused to serve a gay couple in violation of the state’s nondiscrimination law.

by Anonymousreply 37February 11, 2019 7:49 PM

But wait: aren't Jared and Ivanka gay-friendly?

by Anonymousreply 38February 11, 2019 7:51 PM

Some gays support Trump and are wonderful people. The one I know supports free markets and smaller government and he simply feels these are the most compelling issues of our age and, therefore, would never vote for a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 39February 11, 2019 7:52 PM

OP wishes gays would all think and act the same like a good little monolith just like that other little monolith the blacks who dutifully do as their masters tell them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2019 7:55 PM

Trump has mostly gone after the trannies, which I admittedly do not give a shit about and do not care if they or anyone else can murder overseas-- but he's also done a lot of stuff that negatively impacts us. Funding for AIDS research, banning diplomatic visas for same-sex partners, circuit court appointments that are opposed and have blocked employment and housing discrimination efforts, embracing of the general bigotry of the Republican base. It goes on. He's not gay-friendly. The conservatives use the fact that he (so far) has not called for the marriage ruling to be overturned as proof of his acceptance but it's obviously an abysmal standard

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2019 7:56 PM

Log Cabin's purpose us to advocate for gay rights within the GOP. They were necessary back in the day to get then gay non-discrimination act passed in Albany when they held GOP gov Pataki 's feet to the fire to hold the vote ( he called a special session), found a liberal GOP Senator from upstate to sponsor the bill, and got the GOP Senate majority leader to support it.

The Jews supporting Hitler thing is old and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2019 7:58 PM

I don't think Trump gives two shits about gay people, but he surrounds himself with people who HATE us because they stroke his ego. So yes, fuck him and fuck his Log Cabin supporters.

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2019 8:00 PM

[quote] Trump has mostly gone after the trannies, which I admittedly do not give a shit about and do not care if they or anyone else can murder overseas

R43, WOW just WOW, so you don't care whether people can be murdered for being who they are? A lot of anti gay bigots feel the same about gays as you do about Transgenders.

by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2019 8:01 PM

Oh, don't "play me" that cheap, R41. I'm not a 1%ter. But, I ain't far from it. I LOVE having lower taxes with the best of them. But, I'm a staunch believer in equal opportunity and EVERYONE having the opportunities that were afforded to me.

It is unconscionable to me that there are gay people who will support entities that advocate taking property, children, denying service, etc to other gay people simply because of who we are. Free markets and a smaller government are fabulous things but if I can be denied walking into any place to get a drink of water when I'm thirsty, then those things don't matter to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote]He’s actually on our side. Anyone who has known him in NYC for years understands that.

Hello.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2019 8:04 PM

Yeah, you think while they're putting together legislation against trans people, they'll care if we get caught in the backwash? Or once they get done with the trans, they won't work on us next?

by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2019 8:04 PM

Morons. Trump supports a religious exemption to our civil rights. Anyone can discriminate against us if they claim their motivation is religious. In other words, anyone can discriminate against us at any time.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2019 8:06 PM

Thank you R45 for not being a psycho

by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2019 8:06 PM

R42 Imagine crediting Republicans for a state law introduced and reintroduced by Democrats that they (the Republicans) intentionally shot down and halted for decades. SONDA does account for the decades of terror the GOP has inflicted on the gay population, and the fact that Republicans finally stopped obstructing it is no credit to them.

You're a collaborator, stop making excuses for it.

by Anonymousreply 50February 11, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote]just like that other little monolith the blacks who dutifully do as their masters tell them.

"The Blacks"? Uh-huh... okay...

by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2019 8:07 PM

I wouldn't mind Michael Sanchez in me, somewhat deeply. Is that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 52February 11, 2019 8:08 PM

R47 "the trans" are demanding rights that we never had nor asked for. They have no right to deny reality in law and strip women of their rights. That is what they are demanding.

by Anonymousreply 53February 11, 2019 8:09 PM

SONDA simply would not have passed when it did without GOP votes in the NY State Senate and without the signature of the GOP governor, R50.

by Anonymousreply 54February 11, 2019 8:11 PM

R45 Yeah, you're a greedy, parsimonious old shit that votes for the crooks that think you should pay no taxes and only when YOUR own personal liberties are in jeopardy do you say something. Not news to me. It's the conservative mentality and it's a cancer.

by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2019 8:12 PM

YES, R52! And did you see those hips? She can't help you....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2019 8:12 PM

R54 As I said, reluctantly ceasing their decades long opposition is not a credit to them. This is like saying you're thankful the madman that took your family hostage decided to give him back after some negotiation. Stockholm syndrome, dude.

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2019 8:14 PM

**them back

by Anonymousreply 58February 11, 2019 8:14 PM

Thank you Sarah Huckabee Sanders R53

by Anonymousreply 59February 11, 2019 8:15 PM

Maybe they have some reasons. A gay french facebook friend supported Le Pen and was dragged by his friends. He said he didn't give a shit about gay marriage. All he wanted was the muslims expelled.

by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2019 8:18 PM

If Democrats-- who introduced the bill-- had the votes, SONDA would have passed in the 70's. Our resident log cabin genius thinks Republicans are to thank for it passing in the 2000's after halting it for 30 years. Mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 61February 11, 2019 8:18 PM

Yeah that's called being a racist idiot R60

by Anonymousreply 62February 11, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote] He’s actually on our side.

No, people like that are whores for whatever way the wind blows.

by Anonymousreply 63February 11, 2019 8:20 PM

He has gayface for DAYS this shouldn't be news.

The first time they showed his pic on tv, there was an audible ping in my head.

by Anonymousreply 64February 11, 2019 8:25 PM

Exactly R63. He has two priorities, money and applause.

by Anonymousreply 65February 11, 2019 8:25 PM

Oh please, R55. Cry me a river....

by Anonymousreply 66February 11, 2019 8:28 PM

And so this little queen sells out his own sister in order to help Trump?

by Anonymousreply 67February 11, 2019 8:32 PM

It's sad to know, but there are gays who were raised by virulently homophobic parents who never wasted an opportunity to say the most heinous things about gays in front of their children. They raise their children to believe that being gay is the on the same level as a pedophile. Fortunately most people raised in that kind of environment yearn for nothing more than to escape so they can live their true live. But others grow up in a family dynamic so devoid of sanity that they actually end up believing what their parents say, some consciously and others sub-consciously. They end up as adults who know they are sexually attracted to and engage in relations with their own sex, but they hate themselves for it, because mom and dad said it was wrong and dirty. These people are brainwashed pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 68February 11, 2019 8:39 PM

R45 No one's crying over misers and Republican enabling thugs, we're just putting a stop to them. You cannot be reached. No one expects you to possess the requisite empathy to feel shame for yours actions and the harm caused as a result of the genocidal, climate change denying, air polluting, water poisoning, gay bashing, racial hatred stoking Republican agenda. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 69February 11, 2019 8:39 PM

Many of these pro-Trump posts are from the latest troll invasion. I suspect many of them are alt-right teenagers who come here hoping to stir shit and laugh at our expense. I just block them the second I see they are trolls.

by Anonymousreply 70February 11, 2019 8:39 PM

** R45/R66

by Anonymousreply 71February 11, 2019 8:39 PM

Or R70, they are the many Trump supporters who somewhere in their pea brains KNOW that Trump is a mess and is in trouble! They're trying to save a presidency, and a party (in my opinion), that cannot be saved.

by Anonymousreply 72February 11, 2019 8:43 PM

R72 Like those who were being paid to post like crazy in support of Hillary during her failing presidential campaign?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 11, 2019 8:47 PM

Omg who could be Gay and Conservative. How could they !!!

Same people : Islam is totally compatible with Gay Rights and no one is being killed for being Gay in America by Islam , except if you support Conservatives. Except of course the 50 people killed in Orlando.

BTW I am not American and I don’t like Trump , but I also don’t think you get much of a response from people calling them every name in the book. All you do is shut down debate and foster resentment. These guys will still vote Conservative. You just have made it harder to grasp , next time.

Nobody ever changed their views truly who were bullied into it . You can virtue signal till the cows come home, you haven’t changed anyone’s opinion. Ironically though you have shown while you preach against the intolerance you fear , you are the most intolerant people out there.

by Anonymousreply 74February 11, 2019 8:49 PM

Let's not do the whataboutism, R73. Republicans (along with Russian help) OWN the internet. I'm convinced that Disques is a Republican owned and operated company.

by Anonymousreply 75February 11, 2019 8:51 PM

LOL R73. Don't deflect because of your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 76February 11, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]BTW I am not American and I don’t like Trump , but I also don’t think you get much of a response from people calling them every name in the book. All you do is shut down debate and foster resentment. These guys will still vote Conservative. You just have made it harder to grasp , next time.

HA! I have no desire to debate with these people. Been there. Done that. Tried it over and over and now I am done. I want them squashed.

by Anonymousreply 77February 11, 2019 8:54 PM

R72 claimed Republicans are doing something even though his preferred candidate actually got busted for doing very thing that during the last election. Then again, you know that they say about the left. They're always accusing others of what they themselves are actually doing.

That's not whataboutism, dear. That's me putting you on blast for being a fucking hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 78February 11, 2019 8:56 PM

I think gay Trump supporters lack concern for others beyond themselves. They're self centered.

by Anonymousreply 79February 11, 2019 8:58 PM

Hypocrisy is rule one of the GOP R78.

by Anonymousreply 80February 11, 2019 8:58 PM

R3, the useless designers are Trump supporters, of course.

by Anonymousreply 81February 11, 2019 8:59 PM

Uh-huh, R78... (filing my nails)

by Anonymousreply 82February 11, 2019 9:01 PM

[R52] and [R56] : looking at OP's handbag pic, Michael and Casey both seem to have somewhat similar hips.

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2019 9:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2019 9:22 PM

These Trumpy gays support politicians intent on creating a right wing Supreme Court that’ll overturn Roe v Wade.

They’re not smart enough to realize they’re supporting the Court’s attack on the right of privacy (which underlays both Roe as well as protection against prosecution for gay sex).

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2019 9:25 PM

“ Tried it over and over and now I am done. I want them squashed. “ r77

Therein lies the tragedy r77, because what goes for you goes for them . This is how you get war and murder and violence. It’s them or us . We are good , they are evil or Bush’s infamous words “You either with us or against us “

If you dehumanise people to that extent then wonder when they are going to destru you and you better destroy them first , you have lost the argument, the war and the plot

by Anonymousreply 86February 11, 2019 9:25 PM

Another gay Texan: hot, but I don't know if he's a Trumptard: Micah, yeah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 11, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]Anyone who has known him in NYC for years understands that.

Anyone who has known him in NYC for years wishes he would disappear off the face of the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 88February 11, 2019 9:38 PM

Where is the fainting couch? GLORIA! Bring me my smellin' salts, ASAP!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 11, 2019 9:39 PM

Gregory dear, read the comments on your opinion piece.

by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote]UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX???? Isn't that the on-line scam for profit mess???

Clearly he couldn't get into Trump University.

by Anonymousreply 91February 11, 2019 9:50 PM

A lot of them would rather try and change the closed-minded Republicans from within rather than deal with the shrieking harpies of the Left who are never satisfied and lose their eyes from the prize.

I know plenty of people that hate Democrats on taxes and entitlements but hate republicans because they’re morally bankrupt so refuse to vote R. These are the gays with jobs (stable ones) mind, and yes, past their 20s.

Republican gays just dgaf and have pushed through the stigma/yuck of voting R. That, or they hate blacks in the party. And I don’t mean that in a “they're Racist!” way for feeling like that, though you could read it as such.

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2019 9:54 PM

It's nothing but attention seeking. Luckily they are a very small minority. I know a white one who dates a Latino so he uses that as an excuse to prove he isn't a racist, self loathing dirtbag.

by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote] That, or they hate blacks in the party. And I don’t mean that in a “they're Racist!” way for feeling like that, though you could read it as such.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2019 11:20 PM

Ugh....

"I'm very proud to be the first openly gay president of the Metropolitan Republican Club. "

Ian Reilly /Met Club President

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 12, 2019 4:43 PM

AND, JUST LOOK AT THIS RIGHT HERE....

-A gay Republican

AND

-A Black gay Republican

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 12, 2019 4:52 PM

For Gay Conservatives, the Trump Era is the Best and Worst of Times

Hannity is a buffoon,” Ben Holden said, perhaps a bit too loudly. Holden was drinking disappointing sangria with a friend at the bar of the Trump International Hotel in Washington, where he had come last February more out of curiosity than reverence for the president. He was in town for his first Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), an event that he took seriously enough to dress up for (dark suit, American-flag tie) but that he was also interested in for its anthropological weirdness. A 23-year-old student at Suffolk University in Boston who is gay and “leans conservative,” Holden planned to take copious notes and write a gonzo-style journalistic piece about a political gathering known as much for its raucous parties as its provocative speakers.

Holden wasn’t the only young L.G.B.T. person in the Trump lobby that night. A few feet away, several conservative gay and bisexual journalists and activists reclined on couches. Among them was Charlie Nash, a tweed-wearing 21-year-old British reporter for Breitbart who described himself to me as a pagan, an absurdist and a right-wing environmentalist. Next to Nash was Lucian Wintrich, the 30-year-old former White House correspondent for The Gateway Pundit, a conspiracy-peddling far-right website founded by another gay man, Jim Hoft, to “expose the wickedness of the left.” Wintrich is perhaps best known for his Twinks4Trump photo series, in which he photographed lithe young men wearing Make America Great Again baseball caps.

At the bar, Holden and a fellow Suffolk student were joined by a heavyset man in a colorful checkered shirt. Before telling them his name (and asking that I not use it), the man introduced himself by way of a toast: “We’re going to build that wall! We’re going to make America great again!”

Holden’s friend challenged the man to an arm-wrestling contest before having second thoughts. “Actually, my masculinity is not worth sweating over in a zero-sum situation,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That’s nonsense!” the man told him. “There’s an economic benefit to masculinity.”

This led to some back-and-forth about economics and gender theory before Holden’s friend relented and assumed an arm-wrestling position at the bar. The showdown didn’t go his way. “I think you got help from the Russians,” he said.

“Collusion!” the man shouted with delight.

Before long, it became clear why he had joined the students in conversation: to hit on Holden, who is tall and broad-shouldered and has big, protruding ears that add to an aura of youthful affability. But even as the man flirted he confided that he was deeply closeted and, in fact, saw his same-sex attractions as a kind of affliction. Still, he wanted Holden’s phone number.

Holden couldn’t relate to someone with shame about his sexual orientation, nor to those he called the “loud gay Trump fanboys,” referring to people like Wintrich and the former Breitbart senior editor Milo Yiannopoulos, who are both categorized by the Anti-Defamation League as “alt lite,” a designation given to those the organization says “are in step with the alt-right in their hatred of feminists and immigrants, among others.” Wintrich and Yiannopoulos have made careers out of social media trolling and incendiary campus speeches tailored to outrage progressive students. (Wintrich titled a 2017 talk “It’s O.K. to Be White.”) Holden saw them as gay minstrels producing a kind of garish, campy performance art meant more to shock than to make a cogent argument. He wasn’t sure what they actually believed.

by Anonymousreply 97February 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Part 2

For his part, Holden said he believed his sexual orientation was one of the least interesting things about him. “Being gay is not an accomplishment in and of itself,” he told me, “so I’m reluctant to lead with it or believe that it should dictate how I think about health care.” Holden was increasingly skeptical of tribalism and extremist elements of both parties; he seemed almost traumatized after attending the live CPAC taping of “Hannity,” describing some in the crowd as “maladjusted and mindless” and “dredged up from the savage American hinterlands.”

Though he said he is liberal on most social issues and wishes the Republican Party would take climate change seriously, Holden aligns himself with conservatives and libertarians in many other ways — he’s anti-abortion, free-market-oriented and skeptical of big government. But perhaps above all else, Holden rejects what he considers a bedrock of contemporary liberalism: that, as he put it, your “immutable characteristics” — race, ethnicity, sexual orientation — “should determine what your position is on every political issue, or what you’re allowed to express an opinion about.” He added that he feels alienated from progressives on his campus and across the country, many of whom he believes are unwilling to debate issues “without resorting to shaming or name-calling.”

Holden certainly didn’t endear himself to most students on his campus when he showed up to classes wearing a MAGA hat a week before the 2016 presidential election. In retrospect, he said, he wasn’t proud of his support for Trump. “I think I did it mostly out of spite,” he told me. “It was a kind of ‘F you’ to the left and the Democratic Party, which is doubling down on intersectionality and identity politics.”

After barely an hour at the bar, Holden and his friend returned to CPAC’s host hotel, the Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Md. Holden considered the Gaylord a fitting name for a conference with many openly gay attendees, including Log Cabin Republicans (a conservative L.G.B.T. group founded in 1977), Fox News analysts, transgender women and students from across the country.

Gregory T. Angelo, a 40-year-old longtime communications specialist who until recently was the president of the Log Cabin Republicans, told me that he had never seen so many openly gay conservatives at CPAC. “They’re coming out in recent years in a way they have not before,” he said. Guy Benson, 33, a conservative writer and Fox News on-air contributor who came out publicly in 2015, told me that the conservative gay movement has become diverse enough in the past few years “to have multiple constituencies with vastly different priorities and political styles.”

Many L.G.B.T. conservatives say they feel newly relevant and accepted in the Republican Party, which has long opposed L.G.B.T. rights. And, perhaps counterintuitive, some attribute this in part to Trump himself. “The narrative on the left tends to be that Trump is horrible for L.G.B.T. people in every way imaginable, but that’s not how many gays on the right see it,” Benson told me. “As a candidate, Trump signaled that L.G.B.T.-related culture wars are not ones the G.O.P. needs to be fighting anymore, and much of the base noticed. As flawed as Trump is, and despite some of his unfortunate policy moves on this front, he might actually represent a fulcrum point within the party on gay issues.”

by Anonymousreply 98February 12, 2019 5:11 PM

Part 3

Some gay conservatives feel so emboldened, in fact, that they “shout about their love of the president and their L.G.B.T. identity from rooftops,” Angelo told me. (By “rooftops,” he mostly meant Twitter.) Standing in front of the Log Cabin booth at CPAC, next to a poster affirming the organization’s support for the Second Amendment, Angelo didn’t shout, but he did beam as he showed me a letter Trump wrote in 2017 congratulating the group on its 40th anniversary. Trump is the first sitting Republican president to publicly commend the organization.

What a difference three years can make. In 2015, CPAC wouldn’t even let the Log Cabin Republicans set up a booth at the conference. But now here they were, snapping pictures in front of their booth and poster (“This will be sure to trigger my entire school at once,” a Log Cabin intern said) and basking in enthusiastic thumbs-ups from convention attendees. Though Angelo conceded the Republican Party “still has work to do” on L.G.B.T. issues, he insisted the future has never looked brighter. “It’s a good time to be a gay conservative,” he said.

The reality, I would come to learn, is a bit more complicated than that.

There have historically been few good times to be a gay conservative. Gay Republicans have spent the better part of several decades being excoriated from all sides, largely rejected by their party and alternately mocked and reviled by many in the L.G.B.T. community. When I asked Rob Smith — a 36-year-old Iraq War veteran and former Democrat who is now a conservative — about the longtime narrative associated with gays in the G.O.P., he didn’t hesitate. “Self-hating queens,” he said.

Gay conservatives have offered endless fodder for comedians. David Letterman took a shot during the 2004 Republican National Convention: “You know the Log Cabin Republicans — they hate Hillary Clinton, but they love what she’s done with her hair.” Jimmy Dore, co-host of the Young Turks’ “The Aggressive Progressives” web series, joked during a 2007 standup routine, “They’re gay Republicans — they’re people who are gay and, on purpose, are Republicans.”

When not mocking gay conservatives, comedians — as well as many in the L.G.B.T. community — have delighted in the sex scandals of closeted gay Republican lawmakers across the country, who often voted against gay rights even as they solicited gay sex in restrooms, hired male escorts or hooked up with men in their congressional offices. But gay Republicans have also long been seen by many in the L.G.B.T. community as no laughing matter. They’re routinely denounced for supporting a party that only 4 percent of L.G.B.T. people view as “friendly” toward the L.G.B.T. community, according to a 2013 Pew poll.

Gay Republicans have typically offered two reasons for remaining loyal to a party that offers little reciprocation. The first is that while they wish the party were better on L.G.B.T. issues, they prioritize other concerns more. “Why should I be a Democrat when I disagree with Democrats on most issues?” Sarah Longwell, the 38-year-old chairwoman of the Log Cabin Republicans, asked me. “I became interested in conservative ideas, particularly economic ideas, in high school. I knew I was conservative before I knew I was gay.” In a video on the home page of PragerU, a conservative video site, Guy Benson explained his political priorities: “I’m a Christian, a patriotic American and a free-market, shrink-the-government conservative who also happens to be gay.”

by Anonymousreply 99February 12, 2019 5:14 PM

Part 4 (clearly others are just as mystified as I am)

But gay conservatives also speak of their party affiliation as a kind of public service. Many have insisted for decades that their presence in the G.O.P. (their “place at the table,” as some put it) has helped it evolve, however slowly, on L.G.B.T. rights. In recent years, gay and lesbian conservatives have been especially eager to take partial credit for the legalization of same-sex marriage. “You weren’t going to have the cultural shift on gay marriage without Republicans talking to Republicans about gay dignity and why gay marriage is important,” Longwell said.

In a new documentary about the Log Cabin Republicans produced by the organization, longtime members also champion their 2004 lawsuit to overturn “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the Clinton administration policy on gay, bisexual and lesbian service members, which the organization opposed because it required service members to conceal their sexual orientation. “It was Clinton and the Democratic Party that passed ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’ ” a Log Cabin member says on camera. “We fought that for 20 years.”

Listening to gay Republicans take credit for gay civil rights victories is a mind-bending exercise for many L.G.B.T. people. The writer and sex-advice columnist Dan Savage, who has publicly called gay Republicans “house faggots,” told me that “the G.O.P. continues to be an anti-queer political movement, and these useful idiots continue to let themselves be used by the party to inoculate itself against charges of homophobia and transphobia.”

Though L.G.B.T. activists have never had particularly nice things to say about gay Republicans, the rhetoric has been dialed up in the Trump era. Kevin Sessums, a magazine writer and author who prolifically rails against Trump and Republicans on his popular Facebook page, has called gay Trump supporters “Vichy gays” for what he describes as their “collaboration with a fascist and deeply homophobic regime.” Recently, when a gay and formerly liberal power couple from New York were profiled in The Times as Trump supporters, the reaction was fierce. “These people are vile, despicable gay men,” the writer and gay activist Michelangelo Signorile wrote on Twitter.

Savage, Sessums and Signorile don’t lack for evidence when it comes to the Republican Party’s continued L.G.B.T. problem. Though Trump claimed while a candidate that he would be a “better friend” to L.G.B.T. people than Hillary Clinton would, gay rights advocates insist that he has failed to govern that way. “The coordinated, systematic onslaught of attacks on L.G.B.T.Q. civil rights has been unprecedented in scale and scope,” says Chad Griffin, the president of the Human Rights Campaign, an L.G.B.T. civil rights organization, adding that in Trump’s first year alone, “there were dozens of rollbacks, rescissions and executive orders attacking basic rights and protections.”

by Anonymousreply 100February 12, 2019 5:16 PM

Part 5

Transgender Americans have borne the brunt of those efforts. Trump has tried to block transgender people from serving in the military and reversed several Obama-era policies that protected transgender Americans from discrimination in workplaces, schools and prisons. But gays and lesbians haven’t escaped unscathed. In addition to more symbolic gestures, like failing to recognize L.G.B.T. Pride Month, Trump has taken a plethora of anti-gay actions “to pacify the intolerant base of his party,” says Jimmy LaSalvia, a longtime gay conservative activist who left the G.O.P. in 2014. On the same day as the transgender military ban announcement, for example, the Trump administration landed two other blows against L.G.B.T. rights: The Justice Department argued that the 1964 Civil Rights Act’s ban on sex discrimination doesn’t protect American workers on the basis of sexual orientation, and Trump nominated a longtime gay rights foe, Sam Brownback, as his ambassador at large for international religious freedom, a State Department position. (As governor of Kansas, Brownback signed an executive order in 2015 prohibiting the state government from penalizing religious groups that deny services to married same-sex couples.)

Still, many of Trump’s L.G.B.T. supporters dispute that Trump is bad for gay people; at CPAC, a Log Cabin Republicans flyer boasted of “fighting the ‘fake news’ about our president.” Gay conservatives like to cite Trump’s nomination of the openly gay Richard Grenell as ambassador to Germany as evidence that Trump has “no personal animus toward L.G.B.T. people,” as Angelo put it.

Critics of the party’s positions on L.G.B.T. issues have other targets besides the Trump administration. The most obvious is the G.O.P.’s breathtakingly anti-L.G.B.T. 2016 platform, which implicitly affirms conversion therapy for minors, claims that allowing transgender people to use the restroom matching their gender identity is “dangerous” and argues for the superiority of heterosexual households. Angelo called it “the most anti-L.G.B.T. platform in the party’s 162-year history.”

And yet, many L.G.B.T. conservatives — including Angelo — insist the party today is no longer an inhospitable place for gay people. Some, like Lucian Wintrich, go so far as to say that “it’s liberal propaganda to suggest that the right today is anti-gay.” Others are more cleareyed about their party’s shortcomings but say the platform, which is voted on by a committee dominated by social conservatives, is, as Angelo told me, “functionally meaningless” and “doesn’t represent the views of the Republicans I know.”

Angelo, who said the Log Cabin Republicans had a spike in membership and social media followers in 2016, believes that this greater G.O.P. openness largely explains why increasing numbers of young conservatives are coming out of the closet and “speaking their minds.” But other gay conservatives told me that Trump has simultaneously had an opposite effect. Andrew Sullivan, arguably the most influential (and controversial) conservative gay voice of the last three decades, told me he knows many politically moderate gay conservatives who have decided to “keep their heads down” during the Trump era. “Because they know that during this period of the Great Awokening, opposing Trump is not enough to satisfy the far left,” said Sullivan, who still considers himself center-right politically even though he has supported Democratic presidential candidates since 2000. “Anything less than completely accepting the far left’s worldview will get you attacked as racist, or misogynistic, or ableist, or whatever slur the mob settles on.”

by Anonymousreply 101February 12, 2019 5:17 PM

Part 6

Considering how much criticism L.G.B.T. conservatives face from outside their ranks, I was surprised by how often I heard them disparage one another. The assimilationist-minded Log Cabin Republicans, the Trump critics like Sullivan, the deliberately trollish Yiannopoulos acolytes and the conservative-leaning college students coming of age in an era of greater social acceptance have seemingly little in common besides their sexual orientation — and their oft-stated distaste for identity politics. I routinely heard conservative gays criticize other conservative gays as ineffective, boring or empty vessels. “What I see right now in the conservative L.G.B.T. community are a lot of Twitter trolls and some social media celebrities,” Rob Smith, the Iraq vet, told me. “What I don’t see are a lot of movement leaders.”

Not long before CPAC last year, I asked Doug Hattaway, a gay Democratic strategist who was a senior adviser to Hillary Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign, if he counted any gay conservatives as good friends. He did not, he told me, though he recently had gone on a Tinder date with a Trump appointee. “It did not go well,” he said. But Hattaway was friends with a gay former conservative — a 32-year-old named Ryan Newcomb, who worked in the White House during the George W. Bush administration and whom Hattaway describes as now being a “raging progressive.” Hattaway invited Newcomb to join us that night for a drink at a bar in Washington’s Logan Circle neighborhood.

The same day, I spoke by phone with a longtime gay conservative who served in Trump’s presidential campaign. (Though he is out of the closet, he asked me not to use his name so he could speak freely about his personal life. I’ll call him C., the first letter of his first name.) C. was having a rough week. His liberal boyfriend of about a year, whom C. was “head over heels for,” had decided, after much consternation, that he couldn’t continue seeing a Trump-supporting Republican. Though C. was devastated, he said he’d had plenty of practice being rejected by gay Democrats. He’d had men storm out of first dates with him, yell at him in bars and pour drinks on his head.

I didn’t expect anything that dramatic to happen when I invited C. to join Hattaway, Newcomb and me at the bar. As we waited for C. to arrive, Newcomb reclined in his seat with a drink and scrolled through his cellphone contacts, amazed at how many right-leaning gays he knew. I heard something similar from Tim Miller, a gay former communications staff member for Jeb Bush, who told me he was surprised by how quickly a community of mostly young, openly gay conservative men has formed in recent years in Washington. (Conservative lesbians often have less luck finding community. Sarah Longwell told me that she personally knew only a handful of conservative lesbians, and that her spouse and all her close lesbian friends are Democrats.)

When C. finally arrived, it didn’t take long for talk to turn to Trump. “I still can’t believe he’s president,” Newcomb said, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Why?” C. asked.

“Because he’s not worthy of the title.”

“Well, he won,” C. said, annoyed.

Awkward silence ensued. Before long, C. left. “I can stomach gay Republicans,” Hattaway said once C. was out the door. “But a gay Trump supporter? They know it’s indefensible, so off they go.”

But many gay Trump supporters aren’t so quick to run from a fight. In late 2017 I visited Chadwick Moore, a 35-year-old former liberal and writer for the national gay magazine Out who is now one of the most combative L.G.B.T. conservatives on social media and on Fox News, where he is Tucker Carlson’s go-to gay on the supposed hysterics of the gay left. During a June segment about a Huffington Post piece calling for a boycott of Chick-fil-A for its past donations to groups opposing L.G.B.T. rights, Moore gleefully drank from a Chick-fil-A cup as he mocked “pearl-clutching lefty gays” he deemed “desperate for villains” because they have “no one left to hate.”

by Anonymousreply 102February 12, 2019 5:19 PM

I used to think that Lucian was so cute. A nice boy who grew up down the street from Tree of Life Synagogue (not certain if he was Jewish). And then he started that Twinks for Trump thing. He'd better hope he's Jewish. If he's not, he's going to hell when he dies.

by Anonymousreply 103February 12, 2019 5:19 PM

Part 7

Moore — who has repeatedly defended the Proud Boys, a far-right men’s group of self-identified “Western chauvinists” that was banned on Facebook and Instagram after 10 members were arrested on charges of riot and attempted assault in New York in October — insists that the real threat to gay people comes from Islam. A strain of Islamophobia is common among some gay conservatives here and abroad, including in France’s far-right National Rally party (formerly called the National Front), which, though it opposes same-sex marriage, reportedly had more gay people in leadership roles in 2017 than any other major party in the country. “Pray for Le Pen,” Moore tweeted in support of National Rally candidate Marine Le Pen before last year’s French presidential election.

This current iteration of Moore would likely come as a surprise to the old version, who voted for Hillary Clinton. Moore “came out” as a conservative not long after he wrote an October 2016 Out cover story about Yiannopoulos that was harshly criticized as too sympathetic by many L.G.B.T. journalists. When I met with Moore on the patio of a bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to talk about his political metamorphosis, he had come directly from a taping of Carlson’s show and was still on an adrenaline high. Though he was friendlier and more introspective in person than he is on social media, it was difficult to take him seriously when he said things like “David Duke is actually a leftist” and “What’s not to love about Trump? He’s a drag queen. He’s a cartoon character. He’s fabulous. He’s a Kardashian!”

I was curious how much of Moore’s persona was Yiannopoulos-inspired performance art that he didn’t actually believe but that was gaining him more notoriety than he enjoyed as a writer for Out. I also wondered whether Moore’s schoolyard mocking of the gay left (sample tweet to Glaad, a group focused on L.G.B.T. media coverage: “Grow a pair, ladies”) was retribution for being publicly rebuked by his L.G.B.T. colleagues and eventually shunned by his longtime gay friends.

Unsurprisingly, Moore rejected both theories, insisting that as a member of the mainstream media, I couldn’t possibly understand him or portray him positively. “I like myself so much more and am so much happier” as a conservative, he said, but that’s “going to be left out of your article, because it’s too uplifting.” He no longer supports Democrats, he explained, because the contemporary left is dishonest, hysterical and obsessed with policing speech. Worse yet, the left is no fun anymore. “If you love mischief, if you love upsetting delicate people, I don’t know where else you would be right now than the gay right,” he told me.

Though Moore and Lucian Wintrich rarely passed up an opportunity to throw shade at each other when I spoke with them — Moore calls Wintrich “the dumbest person on the internet,” while Wintrich says Moore is “stealing Milo’s tired act” — they share a belief that their contemporary brand of conservatism is channeling a subversive, old-school gay spirit.

“Being gay used to be about being transgressive and pushing the culture,” Wintrich told me in late 2017 in the Washington apartment he lived in at the time, which was decorated with huge framed Twinks4Trump photographs. Wintrich, who attended Bard College and could even now pass for a brooding student at the famously liberal school, smoked a cigarette near an open kitchen window. “When did gay men get so boring?”

In April I traveled to northwest Oklahoma to meet Colton Buckley, a 24-year-old gay cowboy in the midst of a Republican primary campaign for a seat in the Oklahoma House. A self-described “God-fearing, gun-toting gay,” Buckley hoped to represent Ellis County, a sparsely populated area that may have more feral pigs than Hillary Clinton supporters. Of the 1,766 county residents who voted in the 2016 presidential election, only 155 backed Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 104February 12, 2019 5:21 PM

Part 8

That was good news for Buckley, one of the youngest Trump delegates to the 2016 Republican convention and one of more than 20 Republican L.G.B.T. candidates who competed in federal or local races in the 2018 election, according to the LGBTQ Victory Fund, a political action committee. (Five of these candidates won.)

Buckley, who came out publicly after the deadly 2016 terrorist shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, told me that his primary opponents were trying to use his sexual orientation against him. “There’s a whisper campaign going on,” he said, as he drove around Ellis County in his pickup truck, wearing jeans and a cowboy hat. Buckley told me he opposes both same-sex marriage — “for biblical reasons,” he said — and what he calls “the homosexual agenda.” (When I asked for sample agenda items, Buckley said it was less of an actual list and more of a “catchall phrase for a liberal doctrine.”) Buckley summarized his political beliefs this way: “I’m one of the most conservative gay people you’ll ever meet.”

Buckley lives in Arnett, a small, barren town with only one place to get a beer — a dive bar called the Longhorn with signage you might expect to find at the after-party for a women’s rodeo (“Cowgirl Motto: Party ’til He’s Cute”). The Longhorn’s chatty owner, Stacy McCartor, had also outfitted the place with Buckley campaign signs. She didn’t care that he was gay, she said, though she worried that others would. “If only you were a lesbian — guys can wrap their heads around that!” she told him.

I watched Buckley give a short version of his stump speech to three men in their 30s sitting around a table drinking. Then Buckley pulled out his phone to play a video from his campaign website, in which he shoots an AR-15 rifle after defiantly asking, “What part of ‘shall not be infringed’ do you not understand?”

The most talkative of the three men didn’t know that Buckley was gay, and finally he asked why I was there taking notes. “This is a journalist,” Buckley told him, “and he wants to know how a young man who lives in rural Oklahoma and who is running for office as a Republican is also a fag.” (Buckley told me he often used derogatory terms “to disarm voters who would potentially shut down based on my sexual orientation.”)

The man looked confused. “I’m going to need a couple more beers,” he said finally.

After gathering his thoughts, he told Buckley that he was “in the wrong area to be doing this. People around here ain’t gonna vote for you.” He said he didn’t personally have a problem with gay people before suggesting, a few minutes later, that Buckley might eventually learn to appreciate the opposite sex. “You don’t have no interest in a woman?” he asked.

“Nope,” Buckley said, adding that he didn’t choose to be gay. “Why would I live in a rural area and be a Republican and a Christian and choose something where everybody’s gonna hate me?”

“I don’t hate you,” the man said. Before long, in fact, he almost seemed ready to play matchmaker. “Do you have any interest in anyone here in town? Any fellas?”

by Anonymousreply 105February 12, 2019 5:24 PM

Part 9

Buckley offered him a choice. Would he prefer a candidate who is straight but who wants to raise taxes, as Buckley suggested one of his opponents did? Or would he prefer “a faggot that’s going to fight for your gun rights and make sure your taxes don’t get raised”? The man didn’t hesitate. “The faggot,” he said. Buckley turned toward me. “See? That’s why I’m going to win this race.”

Buckley turned out to be wrong about that — he finished in third place with just 26 percent of the vote. When I texted him after the primary to ask if he thought he would have made the runoff had he not been openly gay, he didn’t hesitate. “Yes,” he wrote back. But Buckley didn’t regret coming out. “The fact that I’m running honestly, bringing all of myself to the table, is a testament to how things are changing in this country for gay people,” he told me. He suspected that had he been born five or 10 years earlier, he would have run as a closeted candidate. “That’s what most gay conservatives did until now,” he said. “Or they didn’t run at all.”

If an openly gay cowboy running for office was a surprise to Republicans in Ellis County, conservative transgender activists were an equally unexpected sight at last year’s CPAC. Three transgender women, including Jennifer Williams, a 50-year-old government contractor from Trenton, walked around the Gaylord holding an L.G.B.T.-pride flag and small signs that read: “Proud to be Conservative. Proud to be Transgender. Proud to be American. #SameTeam.”

They knew they had their work cut out for them. Williams, who is running for the state’s General Assembly, told me that while most mainstream Republicans wouldn’t dare be openly contemptuous of gays and lesbians anymore, there’s no similar reprieve for transgender people. She described an endless barrage of antitransgender rhetoric from conservatives, including from some gay men (both Wintrich and Moore used the transgender slur “tranny” in their conversations with me) and from prominent voices like Ben Shapiro, who has called transgenderism a “mental disorder.” At CPAC, Shapiro told the crowd that “you don’t get to tell little boys they can become little girls just to avoid offending people.”

The day after Shapiro’s speech, I watched the transgender women engage in a lengthy discussion with several young men, including Ben Holden and another conservative gay college student. In what occasionally felt like a debate, Williams tried to get them to understand that transgender people face many of the same smears — that they’re mentally unstable and a threat to children in restrooms — that were aimed at gay men not long ago. Their conversation was momentarily interrupted when a young white nationalist walked between them, handing out his business card and suggesting that his organization “is going to be the future, because we have stuff like this” — meaning transgender people — “we have to deal with.” Though jarring, the disruption offered Williams and the students something they could agree on: White nationalism is bad.

I could think of few lonelier identities than that of transgender conservative activist, and I wondered whether Williams considered leaving the party after she transitioned in 2015. She had, she said, but she decided against it partly because “I was a Republican long before I was transgender,” adding that her politics — including limited government, a strong military and free-market policies — still align her more closely with Republicans

Like many L.G.B.T. conservatives, she also held out hope that her party might change. Jimmy LaSalvia, the longtime gay conservative who left the party in 2014, told me that he had watched several waves of gay conservatives have similar hopes dashed over the decades: “I’ve seen so many fight the good fight, then become disillusioned that the party isn’t changing and become independents or Democrats,” he said. “Then a new group of young gay conservatives appears, and they know almost nothing of this history, and they again insist that the party will change.”

by Anonymousreply 106February 12, 2019 5:26 PM

Part 10

Williams’s initial optimism in 2016 was shared by many L.G.B.T. conservatives, who watched as candidate Trump “made rather unprecedented public moves for a Republican to declare himself on the side of L.G.B.T. voters,” recalls Patrick J. Egan, a political scientist at N.Y.U. who researches L.G.B.T. voting behavior. Trump hawked “LGBTQ for Trump” T-shirts on his campaign website, held up a pride flag during a campaign event and presided over what Angelo, the former Log Cabin president, called “the most gay-friendly convention in G.O.P. history.” That’s a low bar, to be sure, but for some Log Cabin members who witnessed Pat Buchanan’s virulently anti-gay speech at the 1992 Republican convention, Trump’s willingness to say the term “L.G.B.T.Q.” from the stage and to offer the PayPal co-founder and openly gay conservative Peter Thiel a prime speaking slot was “deeply meaningful,” Angelo said.

But it wasn’t meaningful enough to earn Williams’s support — or that of many L.G.B.T. people. Trump received just 14 percent of the community’s vote, according to exit polling, significantly less than the 22 percent who backed Mitt Romney in 2012. One reason, Williams said, was Trump’s selection of Mike Pence, who has a long history of opposing L.G.B.T. rights, including suggesting that same-sex marriage might cause “societal collapse,” as his running mate.

Still, Trump’s announcement as president that he would block transgender people from serving in the military came as a surprise to Williams. “It felt like somebody sucker-punched me,” she said. But many gay conservatives I spent time with played down the importance of Trump’s record on transgender rights. “I think the trans issue gets more attention than it warrants,” says Jamie Kirchick, a center-right gay writer and visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution who opposed Trump’s military ban but who believes “the gay movement has been overtaken by transgender issues affecting a minuscule percentage of the population.” Rob Smith, the Iraq veteran, channeled the feelings of many gay conservatives I spoke to about transgender rights when he tweeted: “A ‘good’ gay in 2018 must: Diffuse his masculinity at all costs. Never question a trans person. Ever.”

The unwillingness of many gay conservatives to prioritize the struggle of transgender people comes as little surprise to Richard Goldstein, a gay former executive editor for The Village Voice who published “Homocons,” a scathing book about gay conservatives, 17 years ago. Though Goldstein doesn’t view them with the same scorn he once did (he sees their ability to live openly gay lives as proof of “the gay left’s success making it possible for every gay person to be themselves”), he remains disappointed by what he sees as their inability to empathize with marginalized communities. “These are mostly white gay men who are pretty comfortable and who can’t seem to understand that many in the L.G.B.T. community are still not safe and need protection,” Goldstein said.

That seeming lack of compassion also struck Alexander Chalgren, who for a time was arguably the most famous young Trump supporter in America. The former deputy director of Students for Trump, Chalgren, now a 21-year-old student at Cornell, was featured on a 2016 episode of “This American Life,” during which he said that just because he was gay and black didn’t mean he had to be a Democrat. But by the time I met Chalgren at CPAC, he had begun to sour on the president. He was particularly disheartened by Trump’s reaction to the 2017 white-supremacist marches and violence in Charlottesville and by his transgender military ban, which Chalgren called needlessly cruel. “I don’t have respect for a draft dodger who won’t allow other people to serve,” he told me.

When I talked to Chalgren again in November, he said he had lost all faith in Trump — and was disgusted by the Republicans’ “complete capitulation” to him. “I don’t consider myself a Republican anymore,” he told me. “I’ll be voting for Democrats in 2020.”

by Anonymousreply 107February 12, 2019 5:28 PM

Part 11

Among some L.G.B.T. conservatives there’s a contention that Chalgren’s experience is rare, and that the real movement is among people — both straight and gay — fleeing the Democratic Party, though the only evidence for this is anecdotal. In the 2018 midterms, in fact, 82 percent of L.G.B.T. voters supported their Democratic candidate for the House of Representatives, an increase over the three previous midterm election cycles, according to NBC News exit polling. The same polls show a decline since 2014 in Republican Party identification among L.G.B.T. voters, though the proportion who identify as “conservative” has held steady at 14 percent.

A leading proponent of the Democratic-flight theory is Brandon Straka, a gay 41-year-old hairstylist and longtime liberal from New York who became disillusioned with the Democratic Party and announced in a YouTube video last May that he was walking away from it. The #WalkAway hashtag became a sensation on right-wing social media, and Straka organized a #WalkAway march and rally in Washington 10 days before the midterm elections.

I met Straka the morning of the event at the Trump International Hotel; he had come from an appearance on “Fox & Friends,” which apparently caught the attention of Trump, who promptly tweeted about the march. Though it was raining, about 500 people (the crowd would later at least quadruple, by my estimate) gathered for a premarch rally at a park. Some came bearing signs. One read “I never dreamed I’d grow up to be a deplorable, but here I am killing it. #WalkAway,” while another read “Not a Bot,” a reference to reports contending the movement’s popularity was inflated by Russian social media accounts and other agents of disinformation.

Many of those in attendance at the premarch rally said they were longtime conservatives — or “WalkWiths,” as they called themselves. But I also met longtime Democrats and formerly “closeted conservatives,” people like Lynzee and Michelle Domanico, a married lesbian couple who in 2018 launched The Closet on the Right, a website for “people living in fear” of being “shunned, abandoned and vilified” for their conservative beliefs. As I spoke with Lynzee and Michelle, another lesbian walked by and said: “More lesbians for Trump. We love Daddy!”

The most interesting conversation I had that morning was with a married lesbian couple in their 60s who had until recently lived in San Francisco. The quieter of the pair, Jill, seemed surprised and not altogether comfortable that her recent political metamorphosis (from “San Francisco liberal” to political independent) had brought her here, only feet from a man holding a sign critical of Planned Parenthood. “I’m walking away — I’m just not sure what I’m walking away toward,” Jill told me. “I’m not a Democrat anymore, but I’m not ready to embrace Trump or to align myself with Republicans. I’m a Jew, I’m pro-choice. The evangelical wing of the party would keep me away.”

Attending the rally had been the idea of Jill’s wife, Ann, who expressed frustration with a contemporary Democratic Party she insists has lost its mind — and its priorities — in the Trump era. “I don’t hear any coherent vision for what the Democratic leadership believes in — most of what I hear is constant demonizing of Trump and his supporters,” she said. “I told Jill: ‘Let’s say I had a MAGA hat on. I wouldn’t, but let’s say I did. How far do you think I’d get down the street in New York, San Francisco or Berkeley before somebody spit on me or hit me?’ That’s not my Democratic Party. Old-school Democrats — we fought for the right of people we disagreed with to be able to speak, even when we thought their positions were offensive and wrong.”

Among the gays and lesbians I spoke with at the rally, there was a prevailing belief that while the L.G.B.T. community’s loyalty to the Democratic Party may have made sense in the past, it doesn’t now and won’t in 2020. As many gay conservatives see it, most L.G.B.T. people are now fully assimilated and are as secure as any other Americans.

by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2019 5:31 PM

Part 12

Whether L.G.B.T. people feel secure in this country could have profound implications on the future of the community’s vote, says Patrick Egan, the N.Y.U. political scientist. He believes that as L.G.B.T. people feel increasingly assimilated, they could go the way of one or the other of two traditionally Democratic constituencies: Jewish voters, who have by and large remained loyal to the Democratic Party as they have assimilated, or non-Hispanic Catholics, who gradually shed their partisanship. He suspects that will depend partly on the degree to which L.G.B.T. people continue to see themselves as outsiders.

Egan notes that marginalized groups can feel insecure even when protected by law, as L.G.B.T. people increasingly are. In a 2015 Washington Post article, he proposed asking “any legally married gay couple this question: Where do you feel comfortable holding your spouse’s hand in public?” For most gay couples, he suggested, the list of safe places is a short one. Until that changes, Egan suspects L.G.B.T. voting behavior won’t.

There’s another factor that could curb any meaningful L.G.B.T. migration toward the Republicans. The L.G.B.T. community, Egan says, has been “deeply infused with the notion of coalitions with other disenfranchised groups. There’s a sense among many rank-and-file voters that these fates are linked.”

Egan suspects that’s partly why Trump got so little L.G.B.T. support. Longwell, the Log Cabin chairwoman, agrees. “For many L.G.B.T. people, it didn’t matter how positive candidate Trump’s posture was on gay issues,” she says. “It couldn’t compensate for the alarming way Trump talked about women and minority and immigrant communities,” adding that many L.G.B.T. people are also members of those groups. Though Longwell can envision the day L.G.B.T. young people don’t automatically vote Democratic, she told me that will depend on what the Republican Party looks like after Trump. “I don’t believe that the party at this moment is compelling for many young people, gay or straight. In fact, I worry that we’re losing a generation.”

In October, Ben Holden sat with three other conservative students at a table in a student center on the campus of Suffolk University behind a banner promoting their chapter of Young Americans for Freedom (Y.A.F.), a national conservative student activist organization.

The four club members were white men, a stark contrast to the diverse students at tables around them. Holden recognized the optics problem while also lamenting that he had to think that way. What you look like shouldn’t make your argument any more or less valid, he said: “Demographics shouldn’t be destiny.”

During the hour I sat with the club members, only one person — a reporter for The Suffolk Voice, the school’s online student publication — stopped to chat with them. “You guys causing drama?” the young reporter said with a smile. (Y.A.F. is used to ruffling feathers. In April the group invited Christina Hoff Sommers, a critic of contemporary feminism, to campus.)

“Not enough, unfortunately,” Holden told her. “We’re just here showing people we’re still alive.”

“Oh, they know,” she said. “Especially after your little Twitter escapade.”

by Anonymousreply 109February 12, 2019 5:32 PM

Part 13 (The END finally!)

The reporter was referencing a short video Holden and Y.A.F. posted to Twitter on Oct. 11, National Coming Out Day, during which Holden said he was “coming out as a conservative.” Almost as an afterthought he added, “Also, I’m gay. Not that that really matters anymore.” The video drew some outrage on Twitter, with one young woman writing that “this parasite is mocking a day that was created to spread awareness about a community that is oppressed every single day.”

Despite making the Coming Out Day video, Holden played down the relevance of his sexual orientation to his politics. Most conservatives his age “couldn’t care less that I’m gay,” he told me. Though he conceded that “the left is responsible for most of the progress on gay issues,” he believes that “now it’s more a generational issue than a left vs. right one.”

Holden was keener to discuss his favorite class this semester, “Fyodor Dostoyevsky and the Great Philosophical Novel.” He said that the course was causing him to re-evaluate his motivations and those of everyone else in the world. It was also making him even more suspicious of conversations (political or otherwise) “where one or both people have a predetermined conclusion,” he said.

He reminded me that he’s only 23, and that though he leans politically conservative at this moment in his life (and plans to return to CPAC in late February), he doesn’t want to be forever wedded to one ideology. “But we live at a time when you’re expected to pick a side, and to stick to it without giving an inch or admitting that the opposing side might not have malicious intent,” he said. Nearly every time we spoke over the past year, Holden lamented this polarization, which he said had an impact on students on his campus, cable-news commentators and seemingly everyone else. Holden had hoped to put together a “smart and nuanced” panel at Suffolk about immigration policy, for example, but he wasn’t sure such a thing was possible.

“Trying to engage people in a thoughtful debate about ideas during the Donald Trump era seems like something very few people want to do,” he said. “I spend a lot more time thinking about how to exist during this time of political lunacy than I do about being a gay conservative.”

Benoit Denizet-Lewis is an associate professor at Emerson College and a longtime contributing writer for the magazine. He previously wrote a feature about teenage anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2019 5:34 PM

What the HELL was that???? Okay, before any of you bitches bitch, I did it because the NYT has a firewall and not everyone would be able to read the article. I HAD NO IDEA it would be so long! Lots and LOTS of interesting information in the piece. There were 500 comments! And no... I'm not copying and pasting those.

Continue the discussion of these miscreants who rank right up there with the mysteries of the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 111February 12, 2019 5:40 PM

They are both stupid and insane. Somewhere along the line, probably because they are racist, lost their minds.

by Anonymousreply 112February 12, 2019 5:41 PM

I skimmed some of that. Bottom line - those people just plain suck.

by Anonymousreply 113February 12, 2019 5:44 PM

Anyone who prizes, idolizes or exalts white American manhood to the exclusion of every other race, culture or gender has at least one thing in common with Trump and his Deplorables. I am no longer surprised by white (or white-aspiring) gay men supporting Trump.

by Anonymousreply 114February 12, 2019 5:56 PM

There is a whole cadre of alt-right gays who fetishize "being put in their place" and are big Trump supporters.

Tumblr was a playground for it until they removed all porn.

by Anonymousreply 115February 12, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote] I'm a gay Republican who voted Libertarian at the last election and if Trump is on the ticket will do so again in 2020. Years ago most gay Republicans were primarily in the party for economic reasons or were pro-life voters. Although I am still a paper member of the NY Log Cabin chapter many of the members are now what I would call low class Trump supporters. I never see the old gang there.I

Hmm. If we're lucky, you'll be murdered by your Dominican trade before November 2020 and the rest of us won't have to worry about how you'll cast your vote.

by Anonymousreply 116February 12, 2019 6:00 PM

I see you r56! W&W

by Anonymousreply 117February 12, 2019 6:05 PM

[quote]There is a whole cadre of alt-right gays who fetishize "being put in their place" and are big Trump supporters.

Really? Are these the guys that "get off" getting beaten and called all sorts of derogatory names? Ugh....

by Anonymousreply 118February 12, 2019 6:08 PM

So, are there any gay Conservatives/Republicans reading this thread care to enlighten the rest of us what it means to you to be a Conservative and/or a Republican?

Let me make note of a few things that I would challenge;

-You can't believe in fiscal responsibility and a balanced budget since every Republican going back to Reagan has exploded the debt and deficits.

-You can't believe in a smaller government since Republicans (Trump is the exception but his government is ineffective) has grown the government.

-Strong defense? What does that mean?

It's anonymous board. Speak your piece! There are those of us who are genuinely interested.

by Anonymousreply 119February 12, 2019 10:30 PM

I hate this queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 12, 2019 10:37 PM

^ Amazing... WHAT THE HELL DRUGS ARE THESE PEOPLE ON???

by Anonymousreply 121February 12, 2019 10:42 PM

Mmph....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 13, 2019 5:49 PM

Ew R122 I couldn't even finish that. Sad little kween who only cares about $$$$, clearly. And his hideous faghag should never hold up a sign that says "Adorable Deplorable".

He whines about not being invited to birthday parties. Yeah, your friends figured out you're a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 123February 13, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]He whines about not being invited to birthday parties.

And isn't that something? They all whine when they don't get an invitation to the ball. Remember Alan Dershowitz's boo-hooing because he no longer had any friends on Martha's Vineyard and is now never invited to any of the parties?

Are these people THAT dense?

by Anonymousreply 124February 13, 2019 7:40 PM

R10 is a complete moron...is he Eric?

by Anonymousreply 125February 13, 2019 7:45 PM

LOL R125. The words are too big to be Eric. Has to suck being the ugliest Trump spawn

by Anonymousreply 126February 13, 2019 7:55 PM

I had respected a guy and in 2016, he revealed that he believed all the right wing propaganda about Hillary and lies supporting. Donald Trump. His IQ must have plummeted or he simply lost his mind. It made me sad.

by Anonymousreply 127February 13, 2019 8:08 PM

It would be helpful to hear from more gay Republicans to see how they think. I honestly would like to understand.

From what I’ve seen many like “going against the mainstream”. There are also a lot of low-information or apolitical voters - people who really don’t care that much about politics and just get pulled in by some of the rhetoric. It would be better if those people stayed home. But in reality, a very small % of people actually take the time to study and learn about issues. Most vote on historical affiliation or an instinctual reaction to a random ad campaign or negative fact about the Dem.

by Anonymousreply 128February 13, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]From what I’ve seen many like “going against the mainstream”.

I'm always caught between if it is a sincere ideology that they believe in or is it just shtick that makes money for them. For example; I don't believe that Ann Coulter believes half of the stuff that she writes about. However, she's quite adept at reaching and triggering people with subject matters (usually race) that sells her books and gets her television air time. The same can be said for that Milo Yapdog who only proves on a daily basis what a scum bucket he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 13, 2019 8:34 PM

Money and race come before gay.

by Anonymousreply 130February 13, 2019 8:36 PM

For who, R130?

by Anonymousreply 131February 13, 2019 8:37 PM

And, isn't this special....

Gay club owner “didn’t know” about Trump’s anti-LGBTQ agenda when he attended rally. Sure, Jan.

By Dan Tracer 13 minutes ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 13, 2019 8:38 PM

Agree R129. I assume a good number of the Fox people are doing it for the attention and audience. Which is weird - because I don’t think any other hosts for CNN or even MSNBC do it purely to get attention. Seems like a Republican phenomenon to take crazy offensive stands on things for the attention. Assume it,plays to people’s base instincts which draws them to that type of TV personality,

by Anonymousreply 133February 13, 2019 8:45 PM

For gay r131. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 134February 13, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]It would be helpful to hear from more gay Republicans to see how they think. I honestly would like to understand.

I would too but that's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 135February 13, 2019 9:09 PM

The OP Nightclub

Yesterday at 2:24 PM ·

It has come to the attention of the Old Plantation ownership and staff that a minority stakeholder in the Old Plantation Nightclub was an attendee of President Trump’s rally in El Paso last night. We apologize to our patrons, members of the LGBTQ community, and any other members of the El Paso community for any confusion this has caused about our club, its ownership and its intention.

We want to make one thing as clear as crystal: The Old Plantation Nightclub does NOT support Trump’s views or opinions especially towards our LGBTQ community. The OP was built by and built for the LGBTQ community and everyone should know that.

We understand the concern and outrage from the community being reflected on social media, and we would like to reiterate that the individual who attended Trump’s rally is, just that, only one individual who is a minor shareholder that owns a small fraction of the company.

While he is a person who invested some of his hard earnings in our vision, with the sole intention of bringing The OP back for its original purpose, he does not represent The Old Plantation, its ownership or our community in any way. This minority partner is an individual with an open mind and an open heart. We have spoken with this individual and he has expressed his regret for posting about the rally on social media and his fundamental lack of knowledge about the ways in which Trump’s administration is working to stifle the rights of the LGBTQ community, as well as the rights of others in the greater El Paso community.

For those that don’t know, I, Mark Adkins, am the actual Owner, CEO, and majority shareholder -- and also one of the original OP owners. We re-opened the OP as a place of love not hate. We hope that our beloved patrons can focus on how we can unite, enjoy each other and create new memories with one another.

It’s very easy to forget how to express and show love and respect when politicians, including our own president, are spreading division through their words and policies. We have faith, however, that love will always win.

- Mark Adkins, CEO The OP Nightclub

❤️

by Anonymousreply 136February 13, 2019 9:17 PM

[quote]Michael Sanchez declined on Wednesday to provide CNN an on-the-record comment about whether he was the leaker. He previously denied to The Washington Post playing a role in leaking details about the relationship between Bezos and his sister, and told The New York Post he would not dignify such allegations with a response.

MMPH...

"As questions linger around Jeff Bezos' explosive suggestions, identity of tabloid leaker is confirmed"

New York (CNN Business)The brother of the woman with whom Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was in a relationship was the person who tipped off the National Enquirer to their relationship, two people with knowledge of the matter confirmed to CNN on Wednesday.

The little bitch sold out his own blood for Trump....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 14, 2019 12:10 PM

Not at all obvious what was meant, r130.

by Anonymousreply 138February 14, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote] I don't think Trump gives two shits about gay people, but he surrounds himself with people who HATE us because they stroke his ego. So yes, fuck him and fuck his Log Cabin supporters.

Trump was mentored by Roy Cohn. He knows there is no one better-equipped to be a drooling, obedient, rabidly regressive, anti-gay sycophant than a self-loathing gay (i.e. Stephen Miller)

by Anonymousreply 139February 14, 2019 3:08 PM

Well said R139. Trump = Roy Cohn of 2018. Same tactics and same evil philosophy of life. A scar on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 140February 14, 2019 3:14 PM

Actually, Stephen Miller is the young Roy Cohn. Playing the same role for Trump that Cohn played for shameless Senator Joesph McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 141February 14, 2019 3:18 PM

Good point R141. Sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 142February 14, 2019 3:27 PM

"Voter records show that Leonard Michael Sanchez is 53 and a registered Republican. He has resided variously in the Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood and Laguna Beach. Sanchez married his husband Casey Ashby in 2011.

Not shy about his conservative affiliation — even in liberal Hollywood — Sanchez wrote a letter to The Times in 2016, describing himself as “a gay man, a Hispanic, a West Hollywood homeowner and strong supporter of Trump.” He was writing to complain about a proposal by the mayor of West Hollywood to deny Trump's campaign an event permit, were it ever to request one, which it had not.

As the head of a small L.A.-based company called Axis Management, he has inserted himself into the world of right-wing politics, associating and speaking by phone on occasion with two prominent Trump allies — Roger Stone and Carter Page — though it remains unclear how close their relationships are. An associate of Sanchez said he met Stone two years ago in L.A. through a mutual friend and that Michael called him recently to discuss the Bezos matter.

Page, who served as a policy advisor in the Trump campaign, said that Michael Sanchez was his agent for Politicon in October, at the L.A. Convention Center. He said they have remained in contact even after the Bezos scandal broke. “We talk from time to time,” Page said."

by Anonymousreply 143February 14, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]I'm always caught between if it is a sincere ideology that they believe in or is it just shtick that makes money for them.

9 out of the 10 of them have patreon, paypal, or some other sort of payment account.

by Anonymousreply 144February 14, 2019 6:00 PM

The Sanchez brother is a POS. But I also think it sheds light on the sister Lauren. Clearly raised in a culture where morality or ethics were considered secondary to personal gain. Kinda like the Trump family philosophy of “killer or killed” - truly twisted families breed sociopaths like this. And who knows, Bezos probably has some fucked up beliefs too - so I’m not crying for him. Everyone involved in this are scum.

by Anonymousreply 145February 14, 2019 6:32 PM

Gay Trump supporters support him for the same reason most of his supporters do. The racism. They love his racism policy.

by Anonymousreply 146February 14, 2019 6:51 PM

Gay Republicans... your thoughts?

Kansas GOP introduces the ‘most vile, hateful & disrespectful’ anti-LGBTQ bills in the country

Several Kansas lawmakers have introduced two bills that would severely curtail LGBTQ rights.

The bills, which each have about half a dozen co-sponsors, were introduced yesterday and cover a range of topics, including marriage equality and civil rights legislation.

One of the bills would ban state officials from granting marriage licenses to same-sex couples and define same-sex marriages as “parody marriages,” something South Carolina Republicans tried to do last year.

The other bill defines LGBTQ people as a religion and says that the rainbow flag is a symbol of a “faith-based worldview,” an argument that a conservative crackpot tried to use several years ago to get a court to ban members of Congress from displaying the rainbow flag. (Oh! There's more!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 14, 2019 8:49 PM

R147 something something MAGA Fake News Something

by Anonymousreply 148February 14, 2019 8:53 PM

Remember these asswipes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 15, 2019 4:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 20, 2019 4:51 PM

As an aside: it makes no sense that Gay Sanchez turned over, or even had access to, his sister’s selfie pube shots.

It’s likely he alerted the Enquirer to the affair. But, as has been reported, the pics came from a “government entity.” That ain’t Sanchez. Bezos’ investigator said the whole affair was for “political purposes” and it’s THAT specific assertion that Pecker was trying to force Bezos to deny.

Why?

Putting one and two together, it’s the underlying “political” animus claim that distinguishes this story from the usual National Enquirer fare.

Could a “political entity” have helped confirm the affair by providing Pecker with hacked photos backing up Mr. Sanchez’s scoop? Involvement of a government entity in a blackmail/extortion scheme means somebody’s breaking some really big laws.

Could that be the reason Pecker was so desperate to extract a pubic denial from Bezos? So desperate, in fact, that he was willing to risk his own immunity deal to coerce Bezos into a lie?

OK. Got that out. Now back to face palming hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 151February 21, 2019 8:43 AM

Are the pictures available to see? I did a google search and didn’t find any.

by Anonymousreply 152February 21, 2019 11:05 AM

[quote]As an aside: it makes no sense that Gay Sanchez turned over, or even had access to, his sister’s selfie pube shots.

Gay Republicans make no sense either, but...

Look... it's been reported that Sanchez and his sister are/were VERY close. So, I'm sure that he was QUITE aware of his sister dating the RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD and his sister in her zeal about catching such a BIG fish might have shared some of the more intimate moments that she has had with her rich boyfriend. Sometimes... you just got to talk to somebody!

Anyway, this jealous queen, instead of being happy for his sister, looked at his bills and his struggles and saw an opportunity to make some money off of her and sold the story to the newspaper. See Madonna's brother for reference...

by Anonymousreply 153February 21, 2019 11:16 AM

"I don't know': Trump draws blank on homosexuality decriminalization push

Ambassador Richard Grenell said his plan to decriminalize homosexuality is "wildly supported" by both parties.

A day after the highest-profile openly gay person in the Trump administration revealed his push to decriminalize homosexuality around the world, the president was caught on camera seemingly unaware of the effort.

Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, said Tuesday that he has total support from the administration for his gay rights program focusing on 71 countries where homosexuality is still illegal. But Wednesday, a reporter asked President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, “Mr. President, on your push to decriminalize homosexuality — are you doing that? And why?”

"Say it?” Trump responded.

“Your push to decriminalize homosexuality across the world,” the reporter repeated.

Trump responded: "I don't know, uh, which report you're talking about. We have many reports."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 22, 2019 3:29 PM

Can't we revoke their gay card?

by Anonymousreply 155February 22, 2019 3:31 PM

Bezo should drop the bitch asap

Gay Trump Supporter Michael Sanchez Was Paid $200K to Leak Racy Photos of Jeff Bezos to ‘National Enquirer’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2019 7:53 PM

200K to betray the richest man on the planet? Gay Trumpers really are stupid

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2019 8:03 PM

Here's a picture of Bryan Eure, Bill White, Richard Grenell, and Matt Lashey. The first two are the vacuous idiots who switched from being Clinton to Trump supporters. Grenell is the gay ambassador to Germany, who is now rumored to be the next US ambassador to the UN at the recommendation of Ivanka Trump. Lashey is his partner.

I do not begrudge people their success. And I respect people whose principles may differ from mine.

This photo disgusts me. It's not simply two couples enjoying a vacation together. It's reminiscent of a dorm poster I remember as popular in the Eighties..."Poverty Sucks!" That's the attitude they reflect...a big "Fuck You" to the rest of us.

Just remember: "Though the mills of God grind slowly; Yet they grind exceeding small."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2019 9:34 PM

You see R158, it's up to the gay community to put a stop to this. ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A DEMOCRAT!!! But, you had better be aware of the policies and legislation that the person you support is supporting and passing.

Bryan Eure couldn't give a shit about the community. He gets off on access and being a part of the popular people. Okay.... if he thinks like that and wants those people then by ALL means let him have them! But, you can't ever come to the picnic that we're having over here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote]Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, said Tuesday that he has total support from the administration for his gay rights program focusing on 71 countries where homosexuality is still illegal.

Not quite

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2019 10:18 PM

Ugh....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 25, 2019 3:30 PM

Ugh....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 25, 2019 3:31 PM

Gay Republicans/Trump supporters are what they are because they are both racist and greedy. Some are also extremely misogynistic. All are dumb, likely have "Daddy" issues, and many have raging substance abuse problems.

That's pretty much it, OP. Not that complicated at all.

by Anonymousreply 163March 25, 2019 3:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!