Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Caprese Salad

Why is it such a complicated dish to prepare?

Share your secrets on how to simplify the preparing of this salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2021 6:05 AM

Couldn't be simpler!

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2019 1:08 AM

R1 look at the picture, that is a work of art. How can someone recreate a piece of art like that.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2019 1:09 AM

Are you an idiot?

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2019 1:11 AM

R3 you are not threatened on how to create a piece of art like the picture?

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2019 1:12 AM

All in the assembly but it’s three ingredients and a drizzle of dressing...

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2019 1:24 AM

R5 but the application of the dressing must be tricky. How do you pull it off?

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2019 1:28 AM

I ate Caprese all the time in Italy and they never slathered on Balsamic dressing. It was fresh mozzarella , olive oil and basil with pepper and salt. That is all. Not all kinds of nonsense. Also OP is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2019 1:34 AM

R7 if you don't have mozzarella, what can you substitute?

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2019 1:35 AM

Burrata is good. The point is you want a softer cheese that you can pair with the tomato and olive oil and eat like salad.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2019 1:39 AM

Velveeta, you goddamn idiot!

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2019 1:39 AM

R8 you could substitute Bocconcini

Pro tip for R6: use an old syringe from your latest PnP sesh to artfully apply the balsamic reduction

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2019 1:56 AM

[quote] use an old syringe from your latest PnP sesh to artfully apply the balsamic reduction

Someone said a pastry bag works better

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2019 2:00 AM

You can substitute apples for tomatoes, lacy Swiss cheese for mozzarella, mint leaves for basil and chocolate syrup for balsamic vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2019 2:10 AM

It is not a winter dish in the Northern Hemisphere so the secret is DO NOT MAKE THIS.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2019 2:14 AM

I like this pre-sliced Bel Gioioso "fresh" mozzarella cheese (available at Costco). Burrata is a good suggestion (substitute). I've never made a balsamic vinegar reduction. To me, balsamic vinegar is already very concentrated-tasting. I don't think this is a complicated dish. It seems do-able.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2019 2:14 AM

Can you substitute Kraft Single Cheese Slices if you can't afford Mozzarella?

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2019 2:16 AM

Yes doll. Kraft or store brand singles. Use ketchup for the tomato and that already has vinegar. Sprinkle on some Accent.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote] Yes doll. Kraft or store brand singles. Use ketchup for the tomato and that already has vinegar. Sprinkle on some Accent.

And posters here say the recipe is not complicated?

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2019 2:32 AM

Ha, Ha, everybody -- tres droll! R15, Trader Joe's sells a bottle of reduced balsamic glaze that's excellent and well worth the $2.99 price.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2019 2:41 AM

R7 what about tomatoes 🍅?

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2019 3:25 AM

Silly question, but:

Puddle olive oil ("REALLY GOOD OLIVE OIL" — Ina) on platter.

Sliced tomatoes. Grind salt.

Mozzarella slices. Grind pepper.

Basil.

One last tomato layer. A little salt and pepper.

Top with shreds of chiffonade basil. Serve.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2019 3:40 AM

I once made the mistake of eating an insalata caprese in Mexico. I spent all night running at both ends.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2019 9:51 AM

I agree with R14. It is not a winter dish in the north and always tastes bland.

The essence of Italian cooking is simple, high quality ingredients used well. It is annoying to no end when people complicate simple recipes for no good reason and that doesn't enhance the dish, it seldom does. The dressing can't be easier...balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil that you like in proportions that you like, salt, pepper and sugar to taste, fresh tomatoes, basil and a fresh, creamy mozzarella that you like. Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2019 10:26 AM

Nothing screams frau like caprese salad and "brusketta!"

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2019 10:29 AM

If you can’t get your hands on vine ripened tomatoes then don’t bother with a dish like this. They should ideally be warm from the vine (growing next to the basil). And balsamic is not necessary as the tomatoes should already have the perfect levels of acid. Beefsteak and Plum tomatoes won’t work as good as a heirloom tomato will that’s because a heirloom tomato is has a texture that’s fleshy and not too pulpy, and is thin skinned.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2019 10:51 AM

Okay, you dummies. I'm going to help you out. I make this all the time. The secret is to use a BALSAMIC GLAZE (prefer Cento), not balsamic vinegar. It has a thicker consistency and comes in a bottle that allows you to drizzle it in pretty patterns ----like in the OP. The only thing I don't see in the OP photo is a drizzle of olive oil, which you want as well. The oil and balsamic glaze are not mixed. You drizzle them separately over the assembled tomato, mozz and basil leaves. Then grind some sea salt and pepper over top. Done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2019 11:01 AM

Ugh I despise tomatoes. Too slimy. A friend of mine used to say that they were still in the larvae stage, lol.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2019 11:08 AM

It's even better if you add slices of avocado to it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2019 11:35 AM

R27 = picky eater type proud he's carried food preferences of a 5 yr old into adulthood

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2019 11:36 AM

Can't you use thousand islands salad dressing instead?

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2019 12:17 AM

Exactly how is this a "salad?" Because of the tomatoes and the few sprinkles of basil?

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2019 3:56 AM

I never called it salad. I usually serve it as one of the breakfast buffet dishes I put out for guests when they stay over.....along with muffins, fruit, yogurt, HB eggs, prosciutto.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2019 10:41 AM

Canned tomatoes with dried basil and cracker barrel colby jack is a perfect substitute.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2019 11:04 AM

I like to substitute fried chicken for the mozzerella. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2019 11:16 AM

Apart from r23, who puts sugar in caprese salad?

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2019 11:18 AM

^No one. He is a freak.

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2019 11:19 AM

I make something similar when I can get good tomatoes, which I don't call Caprese salad. I slice the mozzarella and tomatoes, and interleave them with a pesto I make from just basil, EVOO, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Instead of any vinegar, I serve with lemon wedges. If I'm being fussy about the way the dish looks, I chiffonade a little basil and sprinkle it on last.

The Cento balsamic glaze someone mentioned above is actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 37February 11, 2019 12:28 PM

^That sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 38February 11, 2019 1:50 PM

One is required to wear capris when preparing it, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 11, 2019 2:04 PM

Thanks, r38. It really is wonderful. I love that time of year.

This time of year, my favorite thing to make is pasta with Amatriciana sauce, usually bucatini or cavatappi. Italian food is all I need.

by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2019 2:59 PM

R37, while I am sure it is delicious, your dressing is not pesto.

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2019 4:37 PM

I make a salad just like that but I don't bother with all that balsamic foolishness (since I don't really care for the taste). I use Kraft's Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette dressing.

by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2019 4:44 PM

Looks delicious but unfortunately hear on earth our supermarkets sell waxy bland mozzarella, mealy pink flannel tomatoes, and sad wilted "fresh" basil that has been hanging on the hook for a week.

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2019 4:51 PM

You can buy live basil in a pot at any Walmart produce section. Just plant it in a bigger pot and grow your own basil year round.

by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote][R37], while I am sure it is delicious, your dressing is not pesto.

"Pesto" means "pounded" and it's basically any combo of ingredients pounded or ground into a sauce. It doesn't have to have a specific list of ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2019 5:09 PM

I don't want to eat raw mozzarella, no matter how artfully it's been drizzled upon.

by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2019 5:15 PM

This dish is delicious in the summer

by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2019 5:18 PM

R46, it's cheese. There's nothing raw about it.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2019 5:28 PM

When I serve a sliced tomato and mozzarella salad I like to include some very thin red onion slices and big shaves of Parmesan as well.

by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2019 5:34 PM

R48, I think the baby taste flyover @ R46 is trying to say he will only eat deep fried mozzarella sticks from Olive Garden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 11, 2019 6:39 PM

[quote]Nothing screams frau like caprese salad and "brusketta!"

Hold my beer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2019 6:48 PM

You need a good stacking technique to make a good salad like this - that is where the difficulty lies.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2019 11:54 PM

Caprese salad. Paired with red or white wine?

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2019 12:05 AM

Caprese Salad is as lower middle class as kiwi fruit. Americans who have only been to Europe once, or dream of going one day, think serving it at home is on par with lunching al fresco on the shores of Lake Como with “O meo babbino caro” playing softly in the background.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2019 12:10 AM

I make a salad of perfectly ripe tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto. The basil leaf just isn't enough. No balsamic (or other) vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2019 12:20 AM

Just a spoonful of Hellman’s is all you need.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2019 12:34 AM

Tony Woodard, you broke my heart.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2019 12:52 AM

Tony's always been dumb as a post.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote]Ugh I despise tomatoes. Too slimy.

Picky adults are insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2019 1:32 AM

I think it needs a special “man made” cream to work for the DL crowd.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2019 1:35 AM

R39 that looks more like Ace bandages than clothing.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2019 1:45 AM

True Story: a friend and I met for lunch once. We both ended up wearing khaki shorts, blue oxford shirts and red sweaters.

Then we both wanted the caprese salad, which of course came out looking identical.

We wondered what people thought of us that day.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2019 3:40 AM

Just go to Madeo in Beverly Hills. They have the best burrata and tomato I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2019 3:57 AM

Do they deliver?

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2019 4:02 AM

one year anniversary of this thread

by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2020 3:16 AM

Here's the trailer park version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2020 3:32 AM

The main thing is you need good tomatoes. On the east cost anyway that means don't make it except from May - late Sept. Then try to get heirloom tomatoes. Do not you tomatoes that have been brought across the country in refrigerated trucks. Tomatoes should never be stored below about 60 degrees. That pretty much means don't buy them in a supermarket.

So once you have good tomatoes, get good fresh mozzarella good balsamic vinegar, or reduce one of the cheaper ones until it becomes like a syrup and get some fresh basil.

Just before you're about to eat the salad or serve it salt and pepper the tomatoes. Place them and the cheese and basil on the plate as shown above and drizzle with the balsamic. Don't go to heavy on it.

It doesn't keep so just make as much as you can eat.

Another really good but not too healthy thing to do with good heirloom tomatoes is make a simple tomato sandwich. Also salt and pepper the tomatoes and get a crummy really soft white bread, like Wonder. Put gobs of mayo on both sides of the sandwich and the tomatoes in there and enjoy as the wonder of the tomatoes and mayo drips down your fingers. Once in every tomato season one should enjoy a good old tomato sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 67February 19, 2020 3:42 AM

Did you just land on plAnet earth, r67?

Who the fuck in this day and age doesn’t know all that shit already??

Are you a frau?

I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 68February 19, 2020 4:12 AM

The vinegar is gross. Leave it out.

by Anonymousreply 69February 19, 2020 4:13 AM

R67 escaped her Frau Food Blogger containment field and is now shitting all over the thread.

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2020 4:14 AM

Yes, r70. Ignore her last paragraph especially.

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2020 4:26 AM

We’re all aware of what a Southern tomato sandwich is.

by Anonymousreply 72February 19, 2020 4:40 AM

R39: And a Pucci print top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 19, 2020 6:04 AM

For those of us who actually deign to eat tomatoes that haven't been freshly plucked from our garden in Tuscany in August, Campari tomatoes, available in any supermarket, are pretty good all year round.

by Anonymousreply 74February 19, 2020 6:07 AM

I feel like this is supposed to have an oil and vinegar dressing with a little salt and possibly pepper.

I'm also pretty sure that balsamic vinegar is supposed to cost at least $150-$200 and you only use a drop of it.

by Anonymousreply 75February 19, 2020 6:26 AM

Can I substitute the cheese with tuna?

by Anonymousreply 76February 19, 2020 6:45 AM

you guys are frauing it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 77February 19, 2020 7:01 AM

How can you make this dish gluten free

by Anonymousreply 78February 10, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote] Campari tomatoes, available in any supermarket, are pretty good all year round.

I was disappointed with Campari tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 79February 10, 2021 2:35 AM

Caprese Salad is my new drag name.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2021 3:09 AM

R31, the term "salad" is applied to many different dishes:

vegetable salads include Greek salad (mixed vegetables without lettuce but with cheese), garden salad (mixed vegetables with lettuce, no cheese), chef's salad (mixed vegetables with lettuce and cheese plus sliced ham), Caesar salad (primarily lettuce with some cheese and croutons) all with distinctive dressings;

Chinese chicken salad is a vegetable salad that's primarily lettuce with chicken added and a distinctive dressing;

slaws are shredded cabbage and other hard vegetables tossed with mayonnaise (sometimes with blue cheese);

chicken salad and egg salad and tuna salad and potato salad are the main ingredient chopped and mixed with mayonnaise plus pickles and onions;

Cobb or chopped salads are meats and vegetables laid out separately on a platter rather than mixed;

fruit salad is various different fruits chopped and mixed together with whipped cream (sometimes including marshmallows);

Jell-O salad is fruits or vegetables sliced or chopped and mixed into Jell-O to chill in a mold.

I've probably missed some, but you get the idea -- it's a matter of various ingredients combined to be served together as a single dish, rather than any particular style, let alone a recipe. Caprese Salad refers to slices of tomatoes and mozzarella overlapping each other spread around or across a platter, sprinkled with balsamic and olive oil, topped with basil leaves that have been rolled and sliced cross-wise (in a chiffonade).

by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2021 4:37 AM

Try the Cherub cherry tomatoes in the round yellow container they are the only ones I'll buy. If everything goes like it should we will have our own fresh tomatoes by late May, I get tingly just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2021 6:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!