Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

I just finished watching this film for the first time in YEARS, and I found the story so intriguing and sad. It holds up so well.

I absolutely love the story of friendship between Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, and that final shot on the beach where they meet up was beautiful! Also love watching him escape the Prison.

I always hated how Tommy was killed in the movie. So sad that he wasn’t given the opportunity to better himself and get home to his young wife and kid. In the book he’s moved to a different Prison, but I get why they changed that for the movie.

Did you like it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2021 3:26 PM

No OP, we didn't like it.

No one excepts straights like you, coming into Datalounge, like it.

If you weren't a newbie, which you patently are, you'd be aware that it is perennially dismissed as a weirdly popular film amongst heterosexuals, which is completely unappealing to homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2019 5:12 AM

I've never known anyone who didn't like it. It't he favorite movie of many of many friends.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2019 5:14 AM

Yeah. All your dull straight friends.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2019 5:16 AM

R3, I am a gay male and watched it with a group of gay men and we all loved it.

Not R2

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2019 5:17 AM

It's a great film. It's holding up better than Forest Gump that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2019 5:19 AM

I actually love Forrest Gump, but it should have never won Best Picture.

Tom Hanks winning I get. Best Picture? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2019 5:20 AM

It's one of my favorite movies of all time. I agree, OP--the friendship between Andy and Red, the escape and the ending are all beautiful, and incredibly moving.

The part where Brooks the old librarian gets paroled and can't make it on the other side kills me. His despair is so excruciating sometimes I can't bear to watch that segment. Powerful performance by James Whitmore. The entire cast is top notch.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2019 5:38 AM

Was Glenn in this? A men's prison? I was raising my children, so I don't remember since I am a good mother.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2019 7:32 AM

I enjoyed it. I actually liked the Stephen King short story, too. "The Rita Hayworth Poster" or whatever it was called.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2019 7:34 AM

R9 Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption , is a novella , from 'Different Seasons'.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2019 7:44 AM

R10, thanks. I remember Rita Hayworth in the title. If I remember correctly, that same book of short stories also spawned "Apt Pupil" and "Stand By Me" (The Body) films.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2019 7:48 AM

R11 Yes, and the darkly beautiful 'Breathing Method', which is lovely. Great book, always liked Kings short stories and novellas

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2019 7:51 AM

Why was Tommy killed again?

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2019 8:07 AM

R13 Tommy had evidence that the Tim Robbins character was innocent of the crimes he was accused of and was murdered to be scilenced. His death becomes the catalyst for the “obtuse” confrontation with the warden and his spirit becoming permanently broken, and eventually it sets the wheels in motion for him hatching his escape plan for revenge.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2019 8:26 AM

I liked the scene where the cops come to arrest the prison guard and the warden. That red haired guy who marches up with the warrants. No stopping him.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2019 10:17 AM

Tommy was going and cool. He added new energy to the movie when he’s introduced. I liked him a lot and remember being shocked and upset when he was murdered.

That scene, the escape scene and the final scene all have stuck with me for years.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2019 12:15 PM

Tommy was young*

Hate autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2019 12:16 PM

R7 it’s a fantastic and heartbreaking segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2019 12:33 PM

Gil Bellows was so hot when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2019 7:42 PM

I watched and liked it but the snob in me despises people who claim it's the greatest movie ever or something to that effect. It's a very unimaginative, feel good story with good acting but there are better classics out there.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2019 8:45 PM

It is one of the best movies I have ever seen and I am NOT straight.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2019 9:23 PM

That's almost sad, R20, to despise someone for how they feel about a movie. Tell us your idea of the greatest movie of all time. Let us judge you.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2019 11:06 PM

It's ultimately a story about justice and hope in the lives of otherwise ordinary people - well written, well acted.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2019 11:18 PM

I got sick of this movie. At one point it seemed like it was on all the time.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2019 11:51 PM

R24 AVATAR, Forrest Gump and Titanic are on ALL THE TIME. This, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2019 11:55 PM

R25, I said "At one point". TBS, TNT, and AMC showed the crap out of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2019 12:12 AM

Great movie. I've seen it probably a dozen times, and I still bawl at the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2019 12:28 AM

The scene with Brooks, was very sad - his inability to live on the outside & how he couldn't keep up with the rest of the world - but the best scene is clearly Morgan Freeman's speech about having to live with what he's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2019 12:58 AM

The Shawshank Redemption, one of the greatest movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2019 6:08 AM

Tommy being set up to be killed always upset me.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2021 3:16 PM

I like Shawshank Redemption too, BUT it's mostly for the heteros. A GAY Stephen King movie- a movie for the HOMOS is Dolores Claiborne (1995).

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote]I liked the scene where the cops come to arrest the prison guard and the warden. That red haired guy who marches up with the warrants. No stopping him.

Wish we could have seen that happen in the WH with 45.

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2021 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!