Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Squirrels

Don't you just love them? They're like the Jerry Lewis of the animal kingdom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2019 4:19 PM

No. If you've ever had red squirrels infest your property you fucking hate them. Vermin.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2019 3:29 AM

Love me some squirrels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2019 3:47 AM

I've had squirrels chew through the wings on the window AC's and get into my apartment and destroy things. Also come home once and found about 5 still blind baby squirrels in my bedroom....again through an AC wing. They chew on things and destroy stuff, fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2019 4:06 AM

I love them.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2019 4:21 AM

They cause raybeez.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2019 4:22 AM

They're just rats with better styling.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2019 4:24 AM

Paris Hilton (RIP?) once said that squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits. Smartest thing she ever said.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2019 4:27 AM

Squirrels are actually unlikely to carry rabies.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2019 4:40 AM

I like the cuteness of squirrels and wish them no harm but when I was a boy my parents always warned me to not go near a squirrel as they said they will definitely bite you and may very well have rabies. I don't know if that's an urban myth but I heard that everywhere, all the time. Also, when I was very, very young, we were so poor that my father used to go hunting for squirrels with a .22 rifle...so I did eat squirrel meat when I was very young. I didn't like it - it's tough and not very flavorful. That soon ended when he got a better paying job.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2019 4:42 AM

So toss me some peanuts, LAAAAAAAY-dee!

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2019 4:46 AM

The version I grew up with is "they're just rats but get better press".

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2019 4:51 AM

I took the bird feeder indoors to fill it because it was frozen shut. When I brought it out full of bird seed, a fat squirrel walked right up to me wanting a handout. I tried to shoo him but he wasn't afraid of me at all. He followed me til I hung up the feeder and went in.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2019 4:53 AM

One of my favorite cartoons growing up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2019 4:56 AM

They're the only cute thing about Bali.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2019 4:59 AM

I hate the little shits. I’m constantly chasing them away from my bird feeders.

I do enjoy watching them leap from tree branch.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Rats with bushy tails and good PR.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Hokey smoke, you all suck.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2019 5:03 AM

Who are the idiots that get close to them whilst trying to feed them knowing they will probably, hopefully, get bitten or scratched and the infection that follows if ignored or not treated.

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2019 5:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2019 5:05 AM

An old teacher of mine was out jogging and one ran right up to her, climbed up her leg and torso to bite her on the face. I've side-eyed the little bastards ever since.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2019 5:07 AM

Don't like squirrel. But moose is OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2019 5:12 AM

Neurotic animals. I assume they're all rabid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2019 5:14 AM

We had a baby squirrel fall out of a tree. We took it to the local pet shelter and they fixed its broken leg. They released the baby after rehabilitation. We requested updates. Sweet.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2019 5:20 AM

They really liven things up when they visit The First Self Righteous Church!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2019 5:22 AM

R13 Chip ‘n Dale are chipmunks not squirrels silly.

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2019 5:40 AM

[quote]Squirrels are actually unlikely to carry rabies

That's what I told my girlfriend, oops, sorry I have to run out and get her antiretrovirals.

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2019 6:11 AM

r25

They are homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2019 6:12 AM

[quote]We had a baby s̶s̶q̶u̶i̶r̶r̶e̶l̶l fall out of a tree. We took it to the local pet shelter and they fixed its broken leg. They rr̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ "aborted" the baby after rehabilitation. We requested updates. Sweet.

by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2019 6:14 AM

[quote]Who are the idiots that get close to them whilst trying to feed them knowing they will probably, hopefully, get bitten or scratched and the infection that follows if ignored or not treated.

We have them in the parks in Chicago and they are obviously hand fed all the time, 'cause you just show them a peanut and they run right up to you and demand it. They take it out of your hand.

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2019 6:15 AM

R29 Doubt they're foreign to anywhere in the US as ive seen them everywhere and if you live in Chicago or just visiting then of course they're not going to follow you home, unlike people who live out in rural areas. have fun feeding the rodents, doubt the ones in the park or in any metro area are starving but they do bite, jump and crawl on people. NO thanks. nature is nature but trying to think a squirrel in that area just being fed nuts is dumb. people probably feed them un-natural processed human food a lot. I just can't. cute resilient creatures they are, but im not feeding or getting close to one by any means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2019 6:31 AM

R28 😘

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2019 6:34 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2019 6:34 AM

I swear I know R24. How many gay men are Ray Stevens fans?

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2019 9:34 AM

They are chewing the hell out of a friend's house and prying up roofing material to hide acorns. He used to love them, now he hates then. I'm loaning him my humane trap. Squirrels in the relocation program go bye bye.

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2019 9:44 AM

I fucking hate them!. the ones in nyc are rude and inconsiderate

by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2019 10:36 AM

I love watching wild squirrels, from afar. Would never try to touch one, for obvious reasons. But rescue squirrels are sweet little creatures. Seymour and his 2 rescue step sisters Sabrina and Serena are a guilty pleasure of mine on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2019 11:29 AM

OMG I live in Queens NY (have a yard) and they are monsters- constantly digging up plants, flower pots, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2019 12:10 PM

Coming soon from Marvel Studios

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2019 12:14 PM

If squirrels are the Jerry Lewis of the animal kingdom what animal is the Dean Martin?

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2019 1:36 PM

They are cute until they get in your basement or attic or worse your living area and destroy it. A second home has been ravaged twice - the second time they ripped down most of the basement insulation. When we replaced all of it, dead squirrels fell out of the old insulation.

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2019 2:02 PM

Seymour enjoys a nice avocado nosh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2019 12:16 AM

if they could only purr like cats they'd be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Apparently they can, if they're raised by a cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2019 12:30 AM

If you must feed one, put the nut in the palm of your hand. If you hold the nut in your fingers, you're likely to get bitten. Squirrels' eyes are on opposite sides of their head preventing them from seeing objects directly in front of their faces.

Orphaned juvenile squirrels will follow humans. They may even climb up your jeans. They are cold and desperate for food and recognize you to be a heat source. Never feed them cow's milk. They need special nipples and altered puppy formula or a formula from Fox Valley Nutrition. They aspirate easily, so call a wildlife rehab agency.

Northern flying squirrels are threatened, not endangered yet. If you find that you have them in your house or garage during the winter, don't trap them and then throw them outside. They won't have another nest outside and could die that night from exposure. Keep them in the trap and call a wildlife rehabilitator or the game commission. If you find one flying squirrel in your house or garage, you'll have several.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2019 12:45 AM

R42 Squirrels are cute, but after 12 weeks of age, they'll bite your finger down to the bone. They make terrible pets.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2019 12:55 AM

In Boston, trapped vermin are killed. They are not allowed to be relocated. I assume the parks were getting too many squirrels.

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2019 1:29 AM

Squirrels are RATS - I loved that my cats killed the mutherfuckas!

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2019 1:45 AM

Squirrels, if relocated, no matter how far away will find their way back to where they were caught. The only solution is termination.

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2019 11:48 AM

Our neighborhood has lots of squirels. My only problem with them is they play kamikazi with cars and often get nailed.

Then I have to scrape the remains off the road and have a funeral.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2019 12:21 PM

They show no fear on the college campus I work at. They're well fed. Say what you will about them, they have a strong work ethic. They're never just chilling out. They're stuffing their cheeks, burying shit or chasing tail. A coworker and I saw this female squirrel with a pumped up vulva chased into the bushes by four or five males. A second later we heard the loudest, most disturbing scream I ever heard come out of an animal. A squirrel gang bang. It traumatized me for a while.

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2019 4:13 PM

I have a family of four in my yard. They dig up my bulbs and steal my bird seed, but they are cute.

by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2019 4:26 PM

Squirrels are cute, but only when smothered in onions and gravy.

by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2019 4:46 PM

They cost me 1200 dollars to get them humanely removed from my roof and to repair the damage they did to my ceilings. Carrie Bradshaw was right about one thing-a squirrel is just a rat in a cuter outfit.

by Anonymousreply 53February 13, 2019 4:49 PM

I've moved since, but where I use to live had many squirrels. There was this one squirrel that had a really bad case of mange. I would sometimes put out nuts for the squirrels and the one with mange would come up on the porch right next to me and take nuts from me. I never attempted to touch it or get too close and would just set the nuts down next to me. At first it would grab a nut and run but as time went on it would stay closer waiting for another nut. I bought some medicine for mange and would put it on some of the nuts but it didn't seem to help. Eventually I stopped seeing him, figured he died.

They would walk on the power lines, one time there were two squirrels on the same power line coming towards each other and I was wondering what would happen, a fight ensued and one squirrel fell to the ground landing on the grass with no apparent damage.

by Anonymousreply 54February 13, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]Paris Hilton (RIP?) once said that squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits. Smartest thing she ever said.

Actually that was Carrie Bradshaw in the episode where she goes to Aiden's log cabin upstate NY.

by Anonymousreply 55February 13, 2019 4:53 PM

Did you manage to capture it on video, R50?

by Anonymousreply 56February 13, 2019 6:55 PM

They worse than rats.

by Anonymousreply 57February 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Adorable but carriers of bubonic plague.

by Anonymousreply 58February 13, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote] They worse than rats.

Theys my favorites

by Anonymousreply 59February 13, 2019 7:17 PM

I love them, the area I grew up in is very wooded so I'm used to dozens running around me all the time. Now that I;m in the city I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2019 8:02 PM

R50, not only are you fucking insane, you know nothing about wild animals. Or any animals for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2019 2:32 AM

R60, that’s one reason I don’t want to give up my current job and move. I love having a backyard with birds and squirrels running around.

by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2019 6:31 PM

R51 - YES! That happened to me - I planted 200 tulip bulbs looking forward to a May "Tulip" party with friends - and lo and behold only ONE of them came up - in a spot that I had not planted it. Maddening!

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2019 7:51 PM

R50 - probably not your intention but you made me LOL

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2019 7:52 PM

Another victim of squirrel vandals here. I used to think that they were cute and harmless but just one of these furry little bastards cost us over a thousand dollars last year to fix the damage he left behind in our attic and to evict him humanely. He chewed a hole right through the roof and disconnected our air conditioning unit by chewing through the wiring. They are very determined to return to their nest sites so you really have to batten down the hatches to keep them out. If you hear the scamper of tiny feet in your ceilings you are in for an expensive ordeal.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2019 8:40 PM

I saw a mocking bird case a squirrel down a higher because the squirrel wanted to hang out on the bird's high line perch!

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2019 9:17 PM

Here you go, OP. Squirrel presenting hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 17, 2019 7:19 PM

I can’t get my squirrel hole link working, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 68February 17, 2019 7:20 PM

Rats with good PR.

Delicious though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2019 7:24 PM

They can be destructive but they're cute and fun to watch. I like squirrels.

by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2019 7:26 PM

Here he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2019 9:59 PM

[Quote] A coworker and I saw this female squirrel with a pumped up vulva chased into the bushes by four or five males.

Dead at [italic] pumped up vulva[/italic]!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2019 10:27 PM

How could anyone dislike this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2019 10:47 PM

If this doesn't melt your heart, you don't have one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2019 4:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!