Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I LOVE MAINE

OH YES I DO

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2019 4:11 AM

Ogunquit, Bar Harbor and Acadia Natl Park.

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2019 10:36 PM

Maine born - current CT resident for work, but now also a part-time resident in Maine. I cannot explain, but am totally in love with the place. Gay marriage approved by popular vote of the people says a lot of what I feel. I am between Portland and Ogunquit.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2019 10:53 PM

I spent a year there at a boarding school near Bar Harbor. It is beautiful...although the school was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2019 11:00 PM

I spent a summer there in college, working for Americorps on a trailbuilding crew in the Appalachian. Loved all of the wilderness and the quaint small towns. Dover-Foxcroft, Watertown, Camden, Farmington. Not very many young people though -- it seems there just weren't all that many or they all moved away.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2019 6:15 PM

you must be over 60 years old

Do you love Susan Collins?

Do you love Paul LePage?

Do you love the lack of diversity?

Do you love the arctic winters?

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2019 6:36 PM

R5, I'm not quite 60 yet, at 35. I'm not the OP though. Maine was nice for the one summer I was there — I didn't experience their brutal winters, and being from CA, I don't think I could quite hack it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2019 6:41 PM

It's pretty but there is no there there.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2019 6:53 PM

I love the IDEA of Maine. Not sure if I could handle the climate.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2019 6:56 PM

ME TOO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2019 7:08 PM

Maine, the Alabama of New England.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2019 7:11 PM

Ugh - it takes a certain person to like Maine. Harsh, not beautiful in my opinion, mostly shacks for housing, brutal winter, horrible Republicanism of the old and new kind, far from anything. Opioid addicts, unemployed. One of the last places I would ever consider living. Even Portland. But for the hearty, Ted Kaczinski type, I’m sure it has its appeal.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2019 7:33 PM

Are there lots of French people there?

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2019 7:44 PM

The lobstah up there is AWESOME 👏

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2019 8:30 PM

I could never get into lobster rolls when I was there. Either I just had mediocre ones, or they just weren't my thing.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2019 9:53 PM

I have a friend that’s sick of city life and constant sunshine here in LA. He says he wants to move to Maine. I’m like have you ever been there? How will you support yourself? It’s like I would never move anywhere without a job waiting for me.At least visit the place you know?

by Anonymousreply 15March 11, 2019 3:53 PM

I'd like to live in Collinsport. From what I understand, a nice family live nearby that I'm sure would have exciting stories to share with me. Stories I could really sink my teeth into.

I posted a picture of their charming house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 11, 2019 4:04 PM

This winter has not been too bad in Southern Maine this year.

by Anonymousreply 17March 11, 2019 4:10 PM

I enjoyed my time at Bowdoin. Wouldn't have wanted to remain in the state.

by Anonymousreply 18March 11, 2019 4:19 PM

Maine loves me.

by Anonymousreply 19March 11, 2019 4:24 PM

Grew up in Massachusetts, but spent significant time in coastal Maine, which is unbelievably gorgeous, but I’m not sure I’d want to spend winter there, or stray too far into the interior.

by Anonymousreply 20March 11, 2019 4:24 PM

Thank you, R11, for encouraging others to avoid Maine. Owing to a lack of diversity, we are the safest place in the USA to live. The only dangerous places to live in Maine are the cities that were forced to accept thousands of African welfare recipients. Sorry if that offends you, but it's true. If you aren't here already, please don't come here. And if you do come here, please leave soon.

by Anonymousreply 21March 11, 2019 4:37 PM

It’s all yours R21. Other than 1 month in summer, Maine is one of the most depressing, depressed places you can live. Not sure why anyone - especially a gay man - would want to live there. Unless you’re a misanthropic Deplorable who has been rejected by society and is already a deep dark depressive anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22March 11, 2019 5:40 PM

DID UNTIL I FOUN OUT LL BEAN IS ALL REPUG.

by Anonymousreply 23March 11, 2019 5:43 PM

^^ FOUND

by Anonymousreply 24March 11, 2019 5:43 PM

R21 isn't a "true Mainer" called a Downeastah?

by Anonymousreply 25March 11, 2019 5:48 PM

Much of Maine is cultural Appalachia. Though they were supposed to represent Vermont, think: Larry. Darryl and Darryl.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2019 5:51 PM

Portland is a fantastic small city. I would move there in heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote]Not sure why anyone - especially a gay man - would want to live there. Unless you’re a misanthropic Deplorable who has been rejected by society and is already a deep dark depressive anyway.

Let's just say you've got me almost pegged. Let's also say that Stephen King is in many ways a typical Mainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2019 3:17 AM

Yes, yes, we know you judge every state by its congressional representatives and percentage of POC. Yes, we apologize, we wish we were Chicago or San Francisco. Sadly, we're not. We'll just have to live with fact that at night you can see all the constellations; perfect strangers will plow out your driveway without you even asking; and that AOC and Rashida Tlaib and Kamala Harris don't even where the fuck we are.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2019 3:32 AM

Lesbian heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 12, 2019 3:43 AM

Gorgeous state in summer. Unfortunately, home to every biting insect known to man during that season. Mosquitoes by the trillions, black fly, horse fly, deer fly, no seeums. And they chase you and bite you even as you swat. Slowest driving state anywhere. Somewhere 20 miles distant as the bird flies will take an hour with all the twisty turny roads and 15 mile an hour zones through little villages.

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2019 4:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!