Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Mississippi Delta's Chinese American community

Miss Thing in the jean shorts is a hoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2019 3:46 AM

I love those Delta accents!

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2019 12:28 AM

That was interesting!

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2019 12:35 AM

I loved that video. Sort of heartbreaking, but also positive, in different ways. Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2019 1:07 AM

Thank you, OP. Fascinating story.

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2019 1:19 AM

Thanks OP. Sad to hear that the lady's brother was the victim of the armed robbery.

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2019 1:23 AM

That was fun and Id love to sit and chat with Miss Daisy dukes while slinging down some gin and tonics ! Pure corn pone accents coming out of those faces just tickles me to no end.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2019 1:43 AM

As a " northerner" Chinese, hearing those accents is hysterical. We did have relatives from Georgia and they had the thickest southern accents.

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2019 1:45 AM

I could listen to that lady talk all day.

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2019 1:48 AM

"Are you ornamental?"

LOL, good old Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2019 3:04 AM

I planned on only watching a little bit, and I watched the whole segment before I knew it. Good share.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2019 3:43 AM

What a great story about some very good people. I love that woman's unexpected slow drawl.

If you didn't watch: Chinese in the Mississippi delta region took the cotton-picking and farm jobs after slavery was abolished. In time, many became grocers. These Chinese grocers sold to both black and white customers, unlike most white-owned stores. In this era, Chinese were not allowed to own property, so many lived in the back of the stores they ran. They integrated and contributed to the communities in which they lived, but their outward appearance often still leads others to see them them as outsiders.

Their work ethic and commitment to family is inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2019 4:43 AM

That was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2019 5:20 AM

nǐ hǎo, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2019 12:25 PM

Omg.

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2019 3:54 PM

R13: i’m Sure you know, in Mandarin pronunciation, when two characters with 3rd tone run together, you pronounce the first character as if it’s in 2nd tone. This is because two 3rd tones pronounced together just sound too ‘low’ and displeasing to the ear.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2019 3:59 PM

^^ ALL that shit sounds displeasing to my Western ear!

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote]"Are you ornamental?"

Ladies and gentlemen, behold! The people in real 'muricah who don't "live in a bubble" like us folk' on the coasts.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2019 4:26 PM

I don't know why they are still living in that shithole. Just move.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2019 4:28 PM

They live there because it's home and they love it there. Otherwise they would have left long ago. What's so hard to understand about that. Just because you don't like something does not necessarily mean everyone else is going to dislike it. Open you mind.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote]Open you[sic] mind.

Considering the majority of that region still hasn't managed to do this, that's why we're perplexed as to anyone, esp., non-whites *choosing* to stay there. Unless it's a financial situation.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2019 4:41 PM

R18 + r20 = idiots not understanding the concept of "home" and this, "Just because you don't like something does not necessarily mean everyone else is going to dislike it. "

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2019 4:45 PM

It's not financial. At the very least they could move to the larger cities in the region, but old people don't like change, especially with their living arrangements. Even if they wish things were better in some respects they'll put up with it to keep things the way they're comfortable with. This is the life they've learned to enjoy. Leaving and going elsewhere would mean they'd have to start all over in a new environment with no guarantee things would actually be better.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2019 4:46 PM

I have a feeling R18 is very young. If he lives long enough he'll probably think back one day, maybe remembering this very topic, and think "how could I have thought that way?".

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2019 4:48 PM

I spent the summer of 1985 in Greenville trying to get this little airline up and running. What an experience!

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2019 4:50 PM

OP, that honey has as thick a delta accent as you can find

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2019 5:00 PM

R21 = triggered hick

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2019 5:02 PM

r26 = big bloated blowhard

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2019 5:13 PM

Aww, still triggered, R27.

Come down, babe.

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2019 5:15 PM

Calm*

But you can come and I'll make you feel better

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2019 5:16 PM

^^ Still bloatin' 'n' blowin'. Stick a pin in it, shug.

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2019 5:16 PM

Only when I have dairy. I'm lactose intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2019 5:17 PM

Oh Toots, you're intolerant of a lot more than titty juice.

by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2019 5:37 PM

No, I'm not. Been down there. I have family in NC/GA...

I understand plenty, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2019 5:41 PM

People act like Chinese and other people who are obviously not "American" in appearance don't suffer discrimination in every city in America. Why do you think so many large cities end up with Chinatowns and Koreatowns, etc. It's because people gravitate to areas where they feel more safe from being mistreated than if they lived outside of these predominately Chinese and Korean neighborhoods. I've personally seen Asians being treated like crap by people of Italian heritage in New York City.

by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2019 6:15 PM

A lot them have moved r18. That is what they are saying, there are not a lot of them that remain.

There will always be some people that are ready to move on to better opportunities, and some people that want to remain where it is familiar and feels like home for them.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2019 9:56 PM

The young people leave. The old people stay as long as they're able to take care of themselves. When they get too old to do that they rely on their kids to move them closer to them.

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2019 10:01 PM

I drove all around the deep south on a couple of road trips last summer, and I can definitely understand the appeal in many parts of it. I'm actually planning to go back I liked it so much.

When I was down there I did wonder why there were so many Asian owned businesses through rural Georgia. I wasn't expecting it, but I guess this helps explain it. I had no idea about this part of southern history.

Very interesting. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2019 12:17 AM

OP, thanks for sharing that. The food looked good!

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2019 12:37 AM

Such a great video! Thank you for posting it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2019 12:49 AM

I found it interesting that they ate Chinese food with forks. Not a chopstick in sight. I remember eating dinner at a Chinese restaurant in South Carolina. Only forks.

by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2019 3:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!