Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘The Craft’ Actress Rachel True Says Convention Didn’t Book Her Because She Is Black

Actress Rachel True is slamming a convention after they only booked the three white actresses from the film, excluding her.

On Twitter, True said that they booked “Neve, Fairuza &, Robin all together, but excluding me,” adding, “Sounds about white.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269February 2, 2019 5:28 PM

She wanted too much money, let's be honest rachel

by Anonymousreply 1January 28, 2019 6:39 AM

She works as a tarot card reader in a park now.

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2019 6:56 AM

How are they going to call the corners?

by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2019 8:05 AM

[quote]She wanted too much money, let's be honest rachel

They were doing it to her even when the film came out and the cast was doing promotion.

[quote]She works as a tarot card reader in a park now.

Fairuza Balk makes candles R2, and I only know that because her appearance on Celebrity Ghost Stories.

According to Rachel, Fairuza Balk was the one that told her what was going on.

Because of that (it's not something Rachel just pulled out of thin air based upon her own beliefs) and because it's pretty obvious that she's been left out of things over the years while the cast has no problem with her, it's obvious there's an issue here. She was a part of the original 4 members even if she wasn't the most famous at the time.

To Rachel's credit, she has never stopped working and even had a successful TV series that lasted for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2019 8:13 AM

Aww Witch Reunion :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2019 10:12 AM

And never 4 get bitches... NANCY WAS THE FIRST SUPREME!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2019 10:24 AM

I'm a little surprised that any of the cast of that movie is convention-worthy... was "The Craft" really that big of a deal when it came out?

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2019 10:28 AM

r7 you an eldergay, so yes for the younger generation it was. So yes the 3 white cast members are being booked for conventions, and Fairuza told Rachel about it. They also did the same exact thing when the 3 girls presented at the MTV movie awards. They invited the 3 girls to present an award, but didn't include Rachel WHO SAT IN THE AUDIENCE and watched.... smh.

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2019 10:32 AM

R8, think about this for a minute:

If I was an eldergay, as you allege, I would have known all of that. But because I was 5 y.o. around the time the movie was released, I didn't. Good job, you just revealed yourself to be what you accused of someone else. Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2019 12:21 PM

Eldergays are Boomers who would have scoffed at popular GenX and elder Millennial movies, R9. Calm your whiny ass down.

You're the age of people who love THE CRAFT, by the way -- kids who saw it on cable or rented it starting in the late 1990s, eventually leading to a cult following.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2019 12:28 PM

she was the best one. i liked when she made that white bitch's hair fall out

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2019 12:33 PM

[quote]I only know that because her appearance on Celebrity Ghost Stories.

Never change DL.

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2019 12:38 PM

Fairuza used to own Panpipes off Hollywood Blvd.

I always wanted that ram's head staff they had in there so I could be like Skeletor.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2019 12:42 PM

Rachel True is beautiful, I thought she is the most beautiful one in The Craft. My fav part is when Nancy deals with Chris, I did that exact scene to an ex of mine.

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2019 1:32 PM

Monster Mania, Cherry Hill New Jersey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2019 1:43 PM

[Quote] she was the best one. i liked when she made that white bitch's hair fall out

Me too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2019 2:08 PM

That white bitch was Marcia Brady, respect is in order!

by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2019 2:18 PM

R17 i think you mean stupid bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2019 2:31 PM

R7, It's a cult classic and you should probably see it.

And yes, it was popular among a certain age group of the time because they really didn't make films like it. "Teen Girls doing Witchcraft" was a new thing.

Scream also came out late the same year.

Years later a similar "male" version of it called "The Covenant" was released but it wasn't as popular and except for a shower scene, guys in speedos and the fact that it brought us young Sebastian Stan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2019 2:43 PM

[Quote] "Teen Girls doing Witchcraft" was a new thing.

Except for Teen Witch.

by Anonymousreply 20January 28, 2019 2:51 PM

I call bullshit. There is no logical reason she would get excluded from conventions because all four of them are what people remember from The Craft. She must be doing the same thing Mo'Nique does and expecting to be treated like the queen of Siam with perks and fees. She'd only get excluded if she were charging more than the other girls.

by Anonymousreply 21January 28, 2019 2:54 PM

The Craft was a big deal for lonely alienated tweens when it came out. It was the only movie I've seen in the cinema more than once. It doesn't matter if there were movies like it before, it came out at a certain time and made an impact.

by Anonymousreply 22January 28, 2019 2:56 PM

Teen witch was nothing like the craft in style and tone

by Anonymousreply 23January 28, 2019 2:58 PM

It really sucks since they should come as a package like a boyband, or the Spice Girls.

by Anonymousreply 24January 28, 2019 3:02 PM

The optimistic side of me wants to believe that there's more to the story as R21 says, and it's not just old-fashioned discrimination. Was she a bitch on set, causing the other 3 girls to hate her? Because if she was liked by them I'm surprised that they would agree to present on stage at the MTV awards without her.

by Anonymousreply 25January 28, 2019 3:04 PM

On Alec Mapa's podcast, Rachel recounted appearances at autograph shows with the likes of Julian Sands. She was out of the biz for a bit for health reasons but in recent years she's taken gigs like cameoing in Sharknado. I very much doubt she's making diva demands.

by Anonymousreply 26January 28, 2019 3:09 PM

It's a bit surprising that they would exclude her since having a reunion of the four main characters would be a bigger draw than having only three of them - and the point is to get attendees and make money.

There has to be more to the story. Of the other three, Neve would be big enough to make a demand that the convention people would accept, like "me or her" and prevent them from bringing her.

The real money (for most convention celebs) is in the autograph signing, not whatever they pay the people to attend. The only people who really command top dollar are people like Shatner, Hamill, Stewart, and the like.

by Anonymousreply 27January 28, 2019 3:19 PM

OMG bitches read the link, she explains it out on her twitter... This is not a DIVA moment or demands.!!! Again same thing happened at the MTV Movie Awards when the movie was released - when they only wanted the 3 white girls to present MEANWHILE Rachel was sitting in the audience! She mentions that... READ THE ARTICLE... READ HER TWEETS. SHE'S NOT WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2019 3:21 PM

Theres not more to the story. She was the black girl character, they wanted the 3 white marketable faces to do the promotion. It happened to many many black actors in the 90's. Facts! She has done many conventions, one with Neve, they get along fine. That hasnt been the issue. They have done other conventions with 2 of the other cast members. not Rachel, that has been fine. But when you market it as a reunion , and only invite 3 of the girls.. that was her issue. Why not 4? Then all the history of the shadiness they threw at Rachel during the junkets for the Craft, and the movie awards. LMAO Rachel is a earth soul sista, down to earth, tarot reading hippy, vergan, raw foodist... far far away from the zip code of Monique! lmao!

by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2019 3:26 PM

I've just finished her Insta live where she talks about that. She was indeed excluded even from presenting at the MTV music awards and her character's entire back store was cut from the movie. I know people will say it's for storytelling sake or whatever, and it might as well be, but it's very unfortunate to say the least that this woman wasn't even booked for press junkets back in the day. She aged really well and is very poised and mature. Too bad the convention responded with even more nastiness. Let's not forget Fairuza was the one that first called her to let her know she was being left out.

by Anonymousreply 30January 28, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote] Of the other three, Neve would be big enough to make a demand that the convention people would accept, like "me or her" and prevent them from bringing her.

Oh, dear God, R27.

Neve did speak up previously. Rachel said she did.

Fairuza told her what was going on at this particular convention.

Neve and Rachel have remained friends in the years since the movie. She did the same with Fairuza.

At one point, Rachel appeared in the audience of a Scream convention and Neve went out of the way to pull her into a conversation about The Craft. There are tons of pictures of them together over the years.

[quote]Was she a bitch on set, causing the other 3 girls to hate her? Because if she was liked by them I'm surprised that they would agree to present on stage at the MTV awards without her.

And R28, I'm not sure why in 2019 in Trump's America people refuse to believe that sometimes people are just racist.

There always has to be some other excuse.

She got along with the cast.

by Anonymousreply 31January 28, 2019 3:27 PM

My first review ever at my school newspaper was about The Craft when it came out. Great memories.

by Anonymousreply 32January 28, 2019 3:30 PM

Yeah some of these replies are suspect. Like no no no, no way the only black girl could have been excluded from working on an ensemble white cast. Not in the 1990's. NO way. She must have been a 'black' diva bitch, and angry, black woman. She must be like Monique. no way this could happen !No way! Minority actors in the 1990's were treated with nothing but respect and equal billing etc.

by Anonymousreply 33January 28, 2019 3:31 PM

She seems to still be friends with Fairuza, so it's likely untrue that she was disliked on set.

Also, isn't Fairuza Persian?

by Anonymousreply 34January 28, 2019 3:36 PM

Rachel and Neve in Nov. ( I didnt know they are doing a reboot of Party of Five, but with a Mexican family who's parents get deported back to Mexico)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 28, 2019 3:38 PM

It seems her spell against Laura Lizzie wore off.

by Anonymousreply 36January 28, 2019 3:53 PM

R34 I think only her name is. She's mostly white. I think she's part Russian Gypsy , thought I could be wrong. I remember her saying she traveled all over Europe as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 37January 28, 2019 3:58 PM

I loved her in Greg Araki Films.

by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2019 3:59 PM

The tale of them excluding her based on her blackness is b.s. - some of you are so inclined to insist YES IT is a FACT based on one person playing the race card. It does not pass the logic smell test. She's acting exactly like Mo'Nique.

by Anonymousreply 39January 28, 2019 4:01 PM

[quote]According to Rachel, Fairuza Balk was the one that told her what was going on.

Sounds like Fairuza likes to cause trouble!

And who knows if she was excluded because of race or not.. but here's the real question. If she's such good friends with Fairuza and Neve... WHY are they allowing, and why have they always allowed it to continue? If they cared that much they could stick together and say, "Nope, not unless all 4 of us are included.."

They don't seem to be doing that do they?

by Anonymousreply 40January 28, 2019 4:06 PM

[quote]Oh, dear God, [R27].

Oh dear God, r31 - try comprehending my point instead of filtering it through the haze of outrage.

Let me spell it out for you.

My point regarding Neve was not that she HATED Rachel. My point was that she would have been the only person with sufficient pull to make a demand such as "her or me," not that she did. The fact they are friends affirms my point since she would not actually do such a thing.

Promotion and awards shows are one thing. There could easily be an issue with regard to the studios or award show perceptions of who is marketable.

However, conventions - and try to follow along - cater to fans. Fans WANT cast reunions - FULL CAST reunions. They want to see the entire group together again if it's a beloved property. As a matter of course, as with all things, getting the full set is always more valuable than getting a partial or incomplete set. It would be a much bigger draw at a convention to say they had the entire group, rather than three of four.

I would be very surprised that the race card trumped the money card at a convention. Anything is possible, but it runs counter to what happens at most conventions.

by Anonymousreply 41January 28, 2019 4:07 PM

r39 if she was any other token race, it would have happened to them as well. You didnt even read her tweets moron. Mayo! r37 Balk has stated that her father is of Romani and Cherokee ancestry, and that her mother is of Irish and French descent

by Anonymousreply 42January 28, 2019 4:30 PM

The Tweets! Rachel True ‏ Verified account

@RachelTrue Jan 25 More I think it’s interesting these conventions are booking Neve, Fairuza &, Robin all together, but excluding me. Sounds about white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 28, 2019 4:33 PM

More Btw, I brought up awards show etc, because being left out of these events didn’t just hurt ego, it had a direct effect on POC actors pocket books & public profiles & level of celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 44January 28, 2019 4:34 PM

This is not about self absorption.. it’s about racism, parity & 💰 speaking up is costing me $ but may help younger folk coming up down the line achieve those things.

by Anonymousreply 45January 28, 2019 4:35 PM

Ive never heard of this movie

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2019 4:35 PM

This thread just made me rem the shitty feeling of watching the other 3 girls present that yr at the MTV movie awards while I sat in the audience despite having 2 movies coming out. These things aren’t the worst to suffer, but accumulated over the years are exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2019 4:35 PM

Fairuza's dad was a rocker and hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2019 4:41 PM

So which convention is she being excluded from the other three are attending?

It's not Monstermania at R15's post.

Two actresses are on the guest list, not three.

by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2019 5:07 PM

I don't see Robin Tunney booked at any of the major conventions. Now, maybe, a convention was trying to get her and hadn't yet. If they did book her, they would most definitely have booked Rachel. They would have made great money off a group photo op alone. But, they probably didn't want to commit to Rachel until they got Robin. She needs to face facts, Neve, Robin and even Fairuza are much more well known and have other selling points to convention goers. I saw Rachel at a con in Texas that also had Neve, and she hardly ever had anyone at her table.

by Anonymousreply 50January 28, 2019 5:43 PM

The part she got was originally written specifically for a white actress to play.

After she auditioned, the part was re-written so they could hire her.

It sounds to me like they went above and beyond for her.

She also has over 50 credits to her resume on the IMDB so she's not blacklisted.

Also, she says Balk told her she was being excluded.

Can anybody find any comments from Balk or anyone else that True's a victim of racism?

As usual, there's "a rest of the story" out there somewhere.....

by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2019 5:51 PM

I’m kind of surprised that Neve Campbell does conventions.

How much can she pull in for one?

by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2019 5:59 PM

She was well known for Party of Five etc.

Usually they are just some big convention like a Comic Book convention and all the minor stars and some big ones usually go and make money by selling merchandise and charging for autographs and photos.

by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2019 6:02 PM

They can make good money at these things. Between autographs and photo ops, she could make over $20,000 for the weekend. Probably more.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2019 6:03 PM

She was the face of one of the most successful horrifying franchises of the last quarter century

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2019 6:12 PM

Conventions used to just be for the super washed up who did, like, 2 B horror or sci-fi movies back in the day, but these days, a lot of big names are doing them and they can demand outrageous prices for autographs and pictures and people will eat it up. A lot of the shame is gone.

Neve started doing them a few years back and has been a very popular guest at many of them.

I believe Rachel except about the Robin part. I don't think Robin has ever done a con. I could be mistaken, but I don't think she has.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2019 6:12 PM

[R56]

Well, if you don't think Robin has ever been to one of these conventions, then she lied about Balk calling her to tell her all of three of them were at the convention she wasn't invited to as well.

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2019 6:16 PM

Did Balk tell her it was specifically about race? I can't imagine that they wouldn't have made a bigger deal out of it. It sounds more like Robin had some demands that caused them not to bother with her. The race issue isn't exactly a big deal at comic cons.

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2019 6:20 PM

[quote]a lot of big names are doing them and they can demand outrageous prices for autographs and pictures and people will eat it up. A lot of the shame is gone.

It's really no different than a meet & greet at a music concert, which every artist does now. Musicians make a fortune off of those things.

by Anonymousreply 59January 28, 2019 6:26 PM

True is now posting that the conventions should pay her twice the going rate to attend because of all of the publicity she's giving them!

by Anonymousreply 60January 28, 2019 6:31 PM

I only saw the movie once and to be honest, I forgot there were even 4 of them in the movie.

R40 is on to something. If this really is an issue, why aren't the others boycotting? And since they're not, why isn't she mad at her co-stars?

Something is off about this.

by Anonymousreply 61January 28, 2019 6:33 PM

R43 Someone should have replied to Rachel, " I mean their white honey, deal with it. "

Then I weep for your existence R46. You missed a good lesson on Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 62January 28, 2019 6:35 PM

She is delusional. And of course she mentions more money, because I think we all know that's why she wasn't invited.

by Anonymousreply 63January 28, 2019 6:36 PM

You have to remember too, that it's not like you just invite her to a convention. The convention has to pay for flying her out and her accommodations . Unless they were guaranteed Robin, she isn't worth the expense. Nothing to do with color.

by Anonymousreply 64January 28, 2019 6:39 PM

Check the link below to her latest postings.

She's trying to create a scandal where there isn't one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 28, 2019 6:39 PM

Seems like she was trying to create an issue so they'd have to invite her due to public outrage and then to justify a request for MORE money she posted the thing about bringing them more business.

by Anonymousreply 66January 28, 2019 6:46 PM

It's telling that she didn't link Fairuza Balk in her tweets, just name dropped her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 28, 2019 6:47 PM

You knew she was joking R66.

But the thing thing to remember about Datalounge, is that it is racist.

by Anonymousreply 68January 28, 2019 6:48 PM

Yeah, sure she was "joking."

Again, if this is a real issue, why isn't she pissed off at her co-stars who continue to do these events without her?

by Anonymousreply 69January 28, 2019 6:52 PM

Oh, shut up with that "Datalounge is racist" bullshit r67. I'm not going to just buy her "this con is racist" line without actual information other than her trying to shame them into inviting her, apparently. Everything points to her being asked for more than the con was willing to pay for her, not some hidden racist agenda on behalf of this one con's organizers.

by Anonymousreply 70January 28, 2019 6:53 PM

^ should be r68

by Anonymousreply 71January 28, 2019 6:53 PM

I'd forgotten about the hair falling out. Yes, I did like her the most.

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2019 6:55 PM

[quote]Oh, shut up with that "Datalounge is racist" bullshit

Oh, R70. I stopped reading after this point because you know damn well this is a lie.

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2019 7:00 PM

I have no idea if what she's saying is true or false but it's sketchy.

I have seen the three other girls in movies and tv shows over the years, know their names and recognize them. I couldn't pick Rachel True out of a lineup and had no idea she existed as a park tarot card reader or anything else. If I looked at all four and someone asked "who should we book" I'd say the three I recognize, not the one I don't.

Also, would the creepily over-invested person with the triggerhappy all-caps key please chill the fuck out? TIA!

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2019 7:02 PM

It was a shitty move not to invite her to the reunion as well but the fact remains that she's also the least known actress of the four and I'm sure that had something to do with it as well. I didn't even know what her name was until this story broke out.

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2019 7:02 PM

r73 no, it is not a lie. Except for the part that you seem pretty fucking racist and you're a DL poster, despite your attempts to "Other" the rest of us.

Good try at setting up a strawman, though.

by Anonymousreply 76January 28, 2019 7:03 PM

r75 the only person who says she wasn't invited is her and some hearsay from Fairuza Balk. It sounds like True's agent was talking with the organization, there's no way to know what was going on behind the scenes, but it's ridiculous to jump to "they're racist" just because she happens to be black. It discredits actual racism.

by Anonymousreply 77January 28, 2019 7:05 PM

I don't think she was invited but asked for too much money. That would be too easy for organizers to refute. I think she wasn't asked at all, but I don't know if it had to do with racism.

Maybe she isn't that in demand or maybe she has a reputation for being difficult.

by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2019 7:05 PM

If she's working as a tarot card reader it's entirely possible she has shitty representation and they weren't reachable.

by Anonymousreply 79January 28, 2019 7:07 PM

If she's working as a tarot reader.... she probably doesn't even have representation.

by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2019 7:08 PM

[R78]

In her Twitters, she admits she gets 2-3 invitations to Fancons a year.

Read that link above at 67. She gets called on the BS and immediately starts moving the goal posts. She says she does get invitations but she thinks there should be MORE POC there so she's doing this for those missing POC. She brings up Microaggressions, macroaggressions, passive aggressions, money, blah blah blah.

She's taking a page from McGowan and Argento, but using race instead of sex to get attention and a pay out.

by Anonymousreply 81January 28, 2019 7:14 PM

If she's working as a tarot reader then she should have seen this coming and contacted her agency to prevent the inevitable embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 82January 28, 2019 7:16 PM

R82 everyone knows Psychics aren't able to read themselves!!!

by Anonymousreply 83January 28, 2019 7:18 PM

The other women are going to have to respond because they look racist by not refusing to go to any conventions until Rachel is invited. That is, assuming she can whip this up into enough of a frenzy that she gets her Twitter fans to go after them for not supporting her.

by Anonymousreply 84January 28, 2019 7:19 PM

Like this, for example:

Ninja Kitty Boop Jan 26

right.

now i'm in my feelings looking hella sideways at neve, fb, & robin.

maybe n real time mtva sitch you can say 'youth'.

but still?

NOW?

in my 40's & 'you either prt of the solution, or i don't have time'.

by Anonymousreply 85January 28, 2019 7:25 PM

She's a tarot card reader in the park, I don't see her as having millions of online fans to do her bidding.

This whole thing looks like a PR swing and a miss to me.

by Anonymousreply 86January 28, 2019 7:26 PM

Posts like the one at R85 are why I avoid twitter, instagram, facebook and so on. (yes, I know it's not R85 but quoted and pasted from elsewhere)

Now I'm in my feelings? WTF? Forget it, I don't really want to know and since I don't deal with people like that in my day to day life, why would I seek them out online?

by Anonymousreply 87January 28, 2019 7:30 PM

If anyone should have not been invited, it should've been Robin -- she was the least compelling of the four, and she was the protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 88January 28, 2019 7:31 PM

She has ~37k fans on Twitter and 109k on Instagram, compared to:

Fairuza Balk, ~40k on Twitter, ~50k on Instagram (she's not a prolific poster on either though, which is probably why)

Neve Campbell, 252k Instagram followers (she's not on Twitter)

Robin Tunney, 131k Instagram followers (she has a Twitter account but hasn't used it in years)

Rachel is the only one who's really doing the social media thing, the others are kind of halfassing it.

by Anonymousreply 89January 28, 2019 7:34 PM

[R88] Robin wasn't invited to the convention that seems to be in question. There were two actresses invited, not three as claimed by RT. Reading RT's Twitter, it sounds like they were negotiating with her until finding out about her racism tweets. They were offended and backed out. Then RTs said they should have her there at twice the going rate because of all the publicity she brought them.

by Anonymousreply 90January 28, 2019 7:36 PM

Why did Robin's hair looked so fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 91January 28, 2019 7:38 PM

Interesting that Neve only got 3rd Billing on the movie.

by Anonymousreply 92January 28, 2019 7:43 PM

If the MTV Awards thing is true, which it sounds like it is, this is very shitty. Being left out of the promotion of a movie she was in, is bizarre and does give force to the racist angle. She is the only character in the film without a backstory or family too, I don't think this is a coincidence -- though she said the scenes with her family were cut in the end.

by Anonymousreply 93January 28, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] Interesting that Neve only got 3rd Billing on the movie.

That's because Robin was the protagonist and Fairuza her antagonist.

by Anonymousreply 94January 28, 2019 7:47 PM

And because Scream wasn't released yet.

by Anonymousreply 95January 28, 2019 7:52 PM

In 1996 I can't say I knew any of these girls. I only know the three popular ones now because they went on to other work that I happened to see. This Rachel girl didn't.

As for racism at the datalounge. Meh. We have literal Stormfronters who have come here for years because they are homophobic pieces of shit and know that this is a gay men's website. They're racist. We have alt.right trump cunts like Milo and Pooshoes and Erna, they are all racist.

Datalounge as a whole? No. At least not more than other white boomer gay men and perhaps a bit less. The average age here is 50's, making us children of the 60's. Remember that and you won't keep expecting us to be twenty-somethings all woke and shit. We're not like that.

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2019 7:59 PM

In terms of who would be booked, Neve is obviously a no brainer as she is the biggest star and has horror cred. Tunney was the lead and has some "genre" work (End of Days, Supernova) that would appeal to a convention (she also continues to work in horror films). Fairuza is the real star of the movie and the most memorable character. She also has a decent filmography with American History X, Almost Famous, and then some cult type stuff like Return to Oz and The Worst Witch.

Rachel is a bit harder sell to a convention. I guess she would be advertised by highlight all the 90s stuff she appeared in beyond the Craft: Cosby Show, 90210, Fresh Prince, Drew Carey, Half Baked. After that, Sharknado, and then finally Half & Half. Still, it would be pretty shitty to book the other three and not her, especially since I imagine she would come at a discounted rate. Conventions probably see a WOC as not being as big a draw to a convention audience.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2019 8:05 PM

I had no idea who this girl was when I saw her pic. I didn't even remember Campbell and Tunney were in the film but sure they are quite well-known otherwise. Balk is the only face that makes me think of The Craft immediately.

They were all four in the poster but was True featured as much as the others in the film? Someone mentioned earlier her backstory was cut from the film. Was she really in the end only a supporting character, or was she a true main character?

The awards story where she had to sit and watch the others presenting an award certainly sounds fucked up. Racism is very real and obviously was even more at the time. Still, if she wasn't seen as a main character you understand why she was excluded. If she was merely a decoration in the film she was probably featured in the poster mostly to pull in the black demo. That's Hollywood for ya.

At this point many people don't even remember her from anything, unlike the others. That's probably the biggest reason for getting excluded now. Show business is a fucking popularity contest, million times worse than it was in high school.

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote]Being left out of the promotion of a movie she was in, is bizarre and does give force to the racist angle.

She has talked about this a few times over the years. Originally she was saying that she thought they weren't including her because they weren't marketing the film to black audiences. (The other actresses fought for her to be involved in at least one junket.) She also has mentioned that with the MTV awards she thought she wasn't supposed to be on stage because the other three actresses were more popular but it was about the cast of the craft and she was one of the core members of it.

However, it seems like this has been something that has been repeatedly happening over the years so she's finally saying what it probably really is.

This is VERY similar to what Nicole Beharie went through when she was part of the cast as the LEAD in the cancelled Fox series "Sleepy Hollow." They started minimizing her part in favor of another actress, she was told by the producers that fans didn't really like her so she shouldn't go to conventions, the show's social media wouldn't even follow her until she demanded it. Her friends spoke up on social media about what was happening and those posts/instagrams were eventually deleted.

She left the show and the show was cancelled because it was her show even if the producers didn't seem to understand that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]They were all four in the poster but was True featured as much as the others in the film?

Yes, she was featured as much as the others and slightly more than Neve Campbell because her "revenge" story was more complex.

[quote]Someone mentioned earlier her backstory was cut from the film. Was she really in the end only a supporting character

Neve and Rachel were both supporting characters but since the film only involves 4 people, with a the exception of their own personal stories of getting revenge against certain people or Neve healing her back, everyone was on screen together when one appeared.

[quote] or was she a true main character?

True main character? What do you even mean? There were only 4 people who mattered in the entire film because they end up turning on each other!

Every promotional shot used for every release of the film & every still taken from the film and sold and marketed to promote the film all featured Fairuza, Neve, Robin AND Rachel. It wasn't like she popped up occasionally and said, "Hey guys! Wanna get witchy!" She was in the ENTIRE damn movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2019 8:15 PM

[quote]They started minimizing her part in favor of another actress, she was told by the producers that fans didn't really like her so she shouldn't go to conventions, the show's social media wouldn't even follow her until she demanded it.

Can you imagine being a working actor and having to deal with this coming from your superiors? This is truly sad.

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2019 8:17 PM

How can you not remember Rachel, seriously? I remember two things from this movie I watched as a teen when it came out. I remember Fairuza going apeshit and Rachel being lifted in the air by the other 3 chanting light as a feather and stiff as a board.

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2019 8:21 PM

Neve and Rachel were supporting characters in that they were mostly Fairuza's minions, but they were all part of the "the four", so if you're going to have a reunion it doesn't make sense not to have all four of them there.

Maybe it's a case of it not being a reunion at all, since Robin Tunney doesn't seem to have been invited, however what happened with the MTV Awards certainly makes it a suspicious thing. Rachel True being invited to other cons in the past doesn't disprove what she is saying about this one.

I kind of understand why Rachel's backstory in the movie might have been cut. She was the only one besides Robin whose problems didn't need to be related through family members, but Robins backstory had to be included because she was the protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2019 8:54 PM

Meh, she was a big part of The Craft, like the other three actresses. She was one of the two supporting characters to Tunney and Balk, who were the leads. Who the fuck really knows what happened decades ago at the MTV Awards.

I'm sure she's experienced racism. But you've got to be kidding about "black characters not being as desired at cons". It depends entirely on the character they played and how hot she is. The fanbois won't care how black or white or yellow or red she is if she had a cool character.

This is setting aside the issue that there's less racial representation in films and television shows as a whole - this has been an issue, and it's a reflection of the race of the fans, usually - just that I don't think it's THIS issue.

by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]Here's how it works: Actors typically ask for a price guarantee — often paid up front — to show up, sign autographs, pose for photos and sometimes take part in a panel discussion or two. Most conventions charge an entry fee, collect $5 for every autograph and $10 per photo (with a photographer taking another $10). The stars — who receive luxury travel and accommodations — pocket the rest. Anything over the guarantee is icing on the cake.

[quote]According to multiple sources familiar with convention deals, the basic guarantee rate for genre stars is in the $5,000 to $10,000 range per appearance — with leads on such current TV series as The Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Netflix's Marvel shows and The CW's DC Comics fare commanding anywhere from $35,000 to $250,000 and up, depending on their popularity and the frequency with which they appear. At top conventions, it's not uncommon for a star to earn anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 on top of their guarantee (more if they spend extra time signing).

[quote]The most sought-after stars include Reedus (one convention owner says he easily could command a $200,000 guarantee and pocket $500,000 per weekend), Andrew Lincoln (who donates his proceeds to charity), Star Wars great Mark Hamill and anyone who played Doctor Who. Sources say ex-Doctor Matt Smith collected $250,000 per weekend at a string of recent events, with any former Doctor said to easily score six figures. Smith's tally recently was doubled by Marvel film heroes, with the stars netting more than $500,000 each in one Atlanta weekend thanks to an overwhelming demand and rare convention appearances.

[quote]With stars like Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston joining such talent as Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk), Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) and the cast of Buffy on the circuit, the stigma of a convention paycheck has all but vanished. A-listers can judiciously attend paid fan events without damaging their brand or impacting their ability to command a seven- or eight-figure payday. It's all considered marketing — paid marketing. "The way people used to think about conventions — and some still do — was that it was someplace actors who had fame early on went as almost a last resort," says Amell. "And that's just not true anymore."

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2019 9:04 PM

Considering she's a D-lister, let's say she probably gets paid $5k and room and board. Also the $5 and $10 for a photo seems underpriced - I've seen B-list stars from popular network shows charging $20 for photos.

by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2019 9:07 PM

[quotes]The fanbois won't care how black or white or yellow or red she is if she had a cool character.

Sorry to do that thing where you pick one part of a post and go at the person. I really don't mean to. You conveyed your pointed well, even if I disagreed with it but R104 but you're wrong here.

These are the same kind of fans that got angry because there was an Asian person in Star Wars.

The same kind of fans that got angry because an orange character from DC's Titans was cast as a black woman who turns orange because in their minds she was white even if she was orange.

These are the same kind of fans that heard that Iceman was gay and lost their shit.

Or that got angry because Spock and Uhura were in a relationship in the new movies, or that Barry Allen on the Flash is married to a black version of Iris, or that Beyonce at one time was up for the role of Lois Lane in the Superman franchise or even that Doctor Who is a woman now or that the Doctor had a black companion at one point.

But let's not go saying that science fiction, comics and other "nerd type thing" fans are as a whole tolerant.

by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2019 10:23 PM

R107 blaming a small segment of the community and saying they speak for the entire community is like the poster above desparately trying to claim DLers are all racist because of a handful of trolls. It's similar to claiming the MRA represents men as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2019 10:26 PM

R108, No. The poster was claiming that fanbois don't care about these things. Not that, "a small segment" does care but the larger segment doesn't.

That poster said, they don't care.

Ignoring the problem completely by saying it doesn't exist doesn't fix anything.

That's like the MRA claiming that all gun owners are responsible and acquired their guns through legal means.

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2019 10:37 PM

... I think you missed the point.

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2019 10:39 PM

She starred in 2 Sharknado movies ! Give her the respect she deserves !

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2019 10:41 PM

R100 I concur. I would ask any who doubt Rachel's relevance , " did she call the corners with the other 3 girls?" Here's a hint she was on the Western Corner of Water !

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2019 10:53 PM

Nope, R110. I made exactly the point *I* wanted to make. Have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2019 10:54 PM

THE CRAFT wasn’t Rachel’s first horror flick. Before that, she was in the Alyssa Milano soft core flick EMBRACE OF THE VAMPIRE (which also starred a young Jordan Ladd).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2019 11:12 PM

R91, Tunney’s hair looks fucked up in The Craft because she’s wearing a bad wig, having previously shaved her head for Empire Records.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2019 11:12 PM

Rachel was good in Gregg Araki’s nutty flick NOWHERE. She’s never really been relegated to doing quote-unquote “black” movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2019 11:14 PM

[quote]If anyone should have not been invited, it should've been Robin -- she was the least compelling of the four, and she was the protagonist.

Wait a minute, Robin was the star, not Neve? I had it in my mind that the last battle was between Neve and Fairuka at Neve’s house. And Neve was crying after seeing on TV her parents died in a plane crash. Was that all Robin and not Neve?! Why do I so vividly remember it as Neve?

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2019 11:29 PM

Does anyone remember the other 3 at the MTV Awards? Did they present together or they each were separate presenters? Because if they presented together and Rachel was excluded, then something was definitely fucked up. But if they presented separately then I'd say Neve was presenting because she was also well known from Party of Five, Robin was presenting because she was also well known from Empire Records, and Fairuza was presenting because her character was pretty much the breakout star of The Craft.

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2019 11:42 PM

It was Fairuka and Robin fighting. Neve and True were secondary to those two.

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2019 11:42 PM

God, the acting was terrible by everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2019 11:44 PM

It was great if you were an alienated teenager!

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2019 11:47 PM

The only people I remember are Neve Campbell and Fairuza Balk. I didn't even know there was a third white girl.

by Anonymousreply 122January 29, 2019 12:00 AM

It seems weird that they didn't have Neve play the lead since she was the most well known and Robin was originally cast to play Bonnie.

by Anonymousreply 123January 29, 2019 12:06 AM

Yeah she's Robin Tunney, who was the protagonist in the movie. She's just not a good actress, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2019 12:06 AM

I always like Robin Tunney.

by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2019 12:41 AM

Rachel deserved better

The whole point is the 4 of them completing the coven

by Anonymousreply 126January 29, 2019 2:55 AM

Deserved better than what?

by Anonymousreply 127January 29, 2019 2:58 AM

Fairuza was by far the best in terms of acting. She dominated ever scene and made that role hers.

by Anonymousreply 128January 29, 2019 3:07 AM

Really, R128? Because when I see her scenes all I see is someone screeching and acting over the top. Dominating a scene doesn't make one the best in acting.

by Anonymousreply 129January 29, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote]These are the same kind of fans that got angry because there was an Asian person in Star Wars.

No, they got angry because she's a useless character that does nothing interesting and was only in the movie because she was an Asian person - taking away screen time from other characters that they'd already invested in seeing what happened to them (her story took away from an already thin Rey story).

[quote]These are the same kind of fans that heard that Iceman was gay and lost their shit.

No, they got made because making him gay retconned his history. Now, there is a separate argument that they had foreshadowed his being gay and that it wasn't a full retcon. But, the ultimate reason they lost it was that it retconned the character's history. But, the debate rarely focuses on WHETHER it was retconned.

[quote]Or that got angry because Spock and Uhura were in a relationship in the new movies,

Again, they retconned that story that did not exist in ToS. It actually breaks many of the previously told (and loved) stories, histories, and actions of the show(s).

What folks don't understand about the fanboys is that they take "canon" very, laughably, but very seriously. Breaking canon goes beyond the small silly things. All fiction, but especially science fiction and fantasy, require a suspension of disbelief. Immersion in that story is what makes it entertaining. When you violate the internal working of the mythical worlds, it all comes apart.

It's why so many folks also hated Enterprise and currently hate Discovery.

[quote]The same kind of fans that got angry because an orange character from DC's Titans was cast as a black woman who turns orange because in their minds she was white even if she was orange.

If the character had been a black woman who became orange, no one would have said boo. Everyone expected EVERY character in Black Panther to be black - there would have been OUTRAGE by those same fans if they had cast anyone of any other race. It's when they stunt cast against the stated backstory that it causes problems. If you want a Latino Spiderman, don't make him Peter Parker - make him Miles Morales. If you want a black Green Lantern don't make him Hal Jordan - make him John Stewart. Separate characters. Now, you might get a debate about whether John Stewart was a better Green Lantern, but you won't get an argument that he should not have been black.

However, people stop complaining when it turns out well. Few people are complaining that Aquaman, a traditionally blond-haired, blue-eyed hero was played by Mamoa. They're complaining about the movie, but not about Mamoa being cast as Aquaman.

by Anonymousreply 130January 29, 2019 3:25 AM

I have to laugh at the idiots who don't even remember the movie trying to argue that True wasn't even an integral part of it. "Sure, she was on the poster but...".

by Anonymousreply 131January 29, 2019 3:38 AM

The Craft is an ensemble piece, but Balk really does steal the entire movie and the movie starts on her face and ends on her face. I'm really surprised that she never went on to much else of note. She had the makings of a really fascinating character actress.

by Anonymousreply 132January 29, 2019 3:41 AM

Yeah I thought that was weird too r132. She carried that movie and was certifiably scary as Nancy. I was surprised she didn't go on to other big roles.

by Anonymousreply 133January 29, 2019 4:58 AM

Probably because she's not a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2019 5:01 AM

Eh, I thought she was great in The Craft. She also starred in Return to Oz as a younger actress and was a standout there, too.

by Anonymousreply 135January 29, 2019 5:02 AM

I mean of the 4 girls she was clearly 4th billing.

by Anonymousreply 136January 29, 2019 5:04 AM

Really? I thought of all of them, Robin Tunney was the worst actress. I have always hated the "I'm too cool for this" way she holds her hands when they're summoning Manananan. Her face just isn't expressive at all.

I've seen her in stuff since then - she still works - and thought the same. I think she's in some procedural show currently.

by Anonymousreply 137January 29, 2019 5:11 AM

Fairuza Balk always steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 138January 29, 2019 5:13 AM

Yes, everyone is constantly excluding her because she's black.

If something happens once or twice, it might be that, but when it happens all the time, face it bitch, AND YOU ARE A BITCH FOR PLAYING THE RACE CARD, it's you.

They don't want you BECAUSE YOU ARE A BITCH

by Anonymousreply 139January 29, 2019 5:15 AM

Calm the fuck down, R139. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 140January 29, 2019 5:32 AM

Give me a break. It’s 2019. She’s on the movie poster. Conventioneers want all four. She was/is cute. Done. Close the thread.

by Anonymousreply 141January 29, 2019 5:32 AM

I don’t know her and would not pay to see her at a con.

by Anonymousreply 142January 29, 2019 5:32 AM

It’s always wonderful when a bunch of white male show up to explain to a black woman what is or isn’t racial discrimination. Perhaps Rachel can drop by and explain homophobia to us.

by Anonymousreply 143January 29, 2019 6:32 AM

[quote]Here's how it works: Actors typically ask for a price guarantee — often paid up front — to show up, sign autographs, pose for photos and sometimes take part in a panel discussion or two.

The convention doesn't guarantee it. The celebs go thru a booker. The convention has no control on anything the stars charge, the booker does. The con provide the celebs with airfare and a room from the admission fees. That's why you pay to just get in.

Cons are big business, most of the comic book stars have done it, Stallone and Schwarzenegger have too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 29, 2019 9:34 AM

I thought Balk was an interesting actor but she has the mid to not not be replaced on The Sopranos but the scenes she did was reshot by the new actor. That is strange don’t think that has ever happed before ( oops Kevin zSpacey) and her character wasn’t very significant anyway. Then again these casting people aren’t so great they just cast an unknown James Gangofini’s son as young Tony. I’m sure he will be horrible.

by Anonymousreply 145January 29, 2019 9:49 AM

Was this a Bewitched remake?

by Anonymousreply 146January 29, 2019 9:53 AM

She had the misfortune not only to be replaced but her scenes she did do and had been aired reshot by another actress... I meant. I meant at r145.

Tunney was the star , CampBell is famous , Balk is the cast standout and True is.... Didn’t she have a small part in Silence of the Lambs ? Oops. Sorry. That was Kari Lemons.

Not everything bad that happens to a black is racism. Yes as a gay male I am able to voice my opinion about racism. I know a little about being treated unfairly.

by Anonymousreply 147January 29, 2019 10:16 AM

My.... the acting in this film is purposely camp, The Craft was the AHS of the 90s, it was meant to be that way -- it's no coincidence Ryan Murphy did Coven, where do you think he got that idea from? Same for Charmed.

[quote] replaced on The Sopranos but the scenes she did was reshot by the new actor. That is strange don’t think that has ever happed before

Dude, half of the work of a TV show/Film is reshooting scenes with different actors for different reasons, like schedule, lack of chemistry, the actor booking a better part somewhere else, studio honchos wanting their casting couch protege, etc. The most famous example I can think of is Eric Stoltz who was the original protagonist in Back to the Future, and had ALL his scenes reshot when he was replaced by Michael J. Fox because they thought he lacked comedic timing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 29, 2019 11:44 AM

Loved The Craft but I always thought it was supposed to be a comedy.

Especially the end when Fairuza is freaking out while strapped to that bed. That was some funny shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 29, 2019 11:48 AM

Has she done anything after The Craft?

by Anonymousreply 150January 29, 2019 11:52 AM

Her IMDB page shows constant work very similar to many actors in the business. She's been working steadily, possibly not living off it exclusively but still managing to do it as a second job.

She still gets residuals for Once and Again, Drew Carrey Show, 90210, Cosby etc. wherever they're syndicated, specially overseas cable. She wasn't a regular on these shows but had story arcs, so that will get her some cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 29, 2019 12:11 PM

[Quote] ( I didnt know they are doing a reboot of Party of Five, but with a Mexican family who's parents get deported back to Mexico)

Of course they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 29, 2019 12:35 PM

Party of five was created by Timmy Chalamet's aunt Amy Lippman, I wonder if the rat-face-closeted-queen will guest star as an ICE agent who fucks Mexican pussy to show how straight he is.

by Anonymousreply 153January 29, 2019 12:49 PM

I was around 10 when this came out and barely remember it but the clips you guys posted are hilarious. looks like total camp

by Anonymousreply 154January 29, 2019 1:07 PM

She was my favorite Spice Girl

by Anonymousreply 155January 29, 2019 1:10 PM

[quote]It’s always wonderful when a bunch of white male show up to explain to a black woman what is or isn’t racial discrimination. Perhaps Rachel can drop by and explain homophobia to us.

And why do you assume that the majority of responses were by white people?

by Anonymousreply 156January 29, 2019 2:42 PM

Because bigots aren’t very bright

by Anonymousreply 157January 29, 2019 3:12 PM

How many black celebs has the convention booked generally?

by Anonymousreply 158January 29, 2019 3:19 PM

R10 I am a Boomer and I watched The Craft at least five times on HBO. I loved it.

You really cannot generalize about what people like strictly by age.

by Anonymousreply 159January 29, 2019 3:30 PM

if those 3 white bitches say "No, not without Rachel" then this shit would stop

by Anonymousreply 160January 29, 2019 3:35 PM

r158 no one knows which convention it is. No convention has the 3 actresses listed as guests.

Tony Todd, Keith David, various Walking Dead actors are all regulars on the horror con scene. Lots of actors of color do the major pop culture cons. Plenty also do the more nostalgic cons like the Hollywood Show. and Chiller theatre.

by Anonymousreply 161January 29, 2019 3:56 PM

Love Keith David. Sorry to go off topic.

Fun Fact: Tony Todd was Charlie Sheen's best man in his weddings.

by Anonymousreply 162January 29, 2019 4:01 PM

R141 Nuff said. Let the four be united not divided.

by Anonymousreply 163January 29, 2019 4:05 PM

[quote] After she auditioned, the part was re-written so they could hire her. It sounds to me like they went above and beyond for her.

Grow up. There were hardly any rewrites (what do you think they had to do to change her character from a white teen to a black teen?) and rewrites are almost never "above and beyond."

And the convention itself is likely not the problem, it's the bookers for this particular film. Conventions want anyone who will show, they are unlikely to discriminate. My guess is that the other three have one agency that handles the bookings and who are ignoring True on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 164January 29, 2019 4:27 PM

Her whole storyline was about getting revenge against a racist girl, so that certainly had to be rewritten, R164.

by Anonymousreply 165January 29, 2019 4:33 PM

Ooh look WHITE GAY MISOGYNISTIC MEN... telling what really happened to a black woman in hollywood. Lmao.. How cute!

by Anonymousreply 166January 29, 2019 4:35 PM

Maybe she can bind the other 3 from doing conventions.

Bind them Rachel, from doing conventions! Conventions with other people, and conventions with themselves.

by Anonymousreply 167January 29, 2019 4:47 PM

r166 we've already ridiculed your stupid attempts upthread

by Anonymousreply 168January 29, 2019 4:47 PM

Hollywood itself is obviously very guilty of racism and sexism, but many ~horror fandom~ spaces (esp in la and online) also make it clear they’re there to cater to white men + the women they want to fuck (usually either white or the light skinned woc they fetishize). it’s incredibly gross and toxic and i know so many poc friends who avoid those spaces like the plague despite loving the genre.

by Anonymousreply 169January 29, 2019 4:53 PM

Majority of you know nothing about about the Horror Fandom, the cons, etc. If you did you would know Rachel is speaking nothing but facts! Sounds about WHITE!

by Anonymousreply 170January 29, 2019 5:03 PM

r170, I said we already ridiculed you upthread

by Anonymousreply 171January 29, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote]That was Kari Lemons.

It’s KASI.

[quote]Not everything bad that happens to a black is racism. Yes as a gay male I am able to voice my opinion about racism.

No you do not.

by Anonymousreply 172January 29, 2019 5:09 PM

Rachel True = the team of McGowan and Argento.

Her only example of being excluded happened in 1996...

I'll bet it's note easy having a movie star lifestyle when you reading Tarot cards.

She's looking for a pay out to go away and can't use #metoo, so she's trying to start a #metooblack controversy.

[R164] I'm not surprised "Grow up" is all you've got to rebut a fact. Go read her twitter posts. She's looking for more money than she was offered.

by Anonymousreply 173January 29, 2019 5:09 PM

To the genius upthread who keeps asking if Rachel did anything post-The Craft, for the umpteenth time, yes. She was in several films including Gregg Araki’s Nowhere and the cult David Chapelle comedy Half-Baked, and she did four seasons on the UPN sitcom Half & Half.

by Anonymousreply 174January 29, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote] I'm not surprised "Grow up" is all you've got to rebut a fact

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass. Your random, poorly written, pointlessly angry posts are nothing more than rage fanfic you made up in your head. And like everyone else who gets too invested in gossip and starts to confuse fantasy with reality, you've decided your made-up theories are facts that everyone has to stop and rebut, because you're important, you're special, you need attention.

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 175January 29, 2019 5:13 PM

You can voice your opinion about racism all you want, but if you’re not black, all you’ve got on the subject IS an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 176January 29, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote]Now, you might get a debate about whether John Stewart was a better Green Lantern,

He was.

But Guy Gardner is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 177January 29, 2019 5:17 PM

r176... AMEN!!!! These horror fandom conventions are WHITE MAN central. Of course they dont want a black girl... and that is racism!

by Anonymousreply 178January 29, 2019 5:17 PM

She is a beautiful woman. Of course those geeks want her.

by Anonymousreply 179January 29, 2019 5:19 PM

She reminds me of Rae Dawn Chong in that they never really had issues getting roles that were obviously written with white women in mind.

by Anonymousreply 180January 29, 2019 5:21 PM

I'm a horror fan and I've been to a few of these cons and I'd say the majority of horror fans are lovely, inclusive, and very smart. Unfortunately, there's still that ugly white boy section of horror fandom that thinks any movie without a decapitation every 5 minutes and tits every 10 minutes isn't worthy of their time and not a real horror movie. They're the ones who complain that Barbara Crampton didn't immediately propose marriage to them after they waxed on and on about her nude scene in Re-Animator made them cum 5,000 times. These creeps are, unfortunately, very real.

I've also had the pleasure of working with several of these horror actresses in my time and you wouldn't believe the stories they'd tell me about their weirdest fan encounters. Still, they'd even agree that a majority of the encounters have been wonderful and respectful - it's just the fringe creepers you have to look out for. Maybe they're not into black chicks or something or they don't like The Craft because it's more female empowerment and isn't full of blood, guts, and tits. Wasn't the writer/director gay?

by Anonymousreply 181January 29, 2019 5:22 PM

I recently met Toy Newkirk (Sheila from Nightmare in Elm Street 4 for all those non-Freddy Krueger fans) at a convention and she had good flow at her table. She was also very sweet and talked to me at length about making the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 29, 2019 5:26 PM

lol now here they come with the few exceptions... Oh look Toy Newkirk... see... not racist! lol

by Anonymousreply 183January 29, 2019 5:28 PM

Fine R183 give us real examples of this racism.

by Anonymousreply 184January 29, 2019 5:29 PM

[R175]

Speaking of asses, go pull your pants up and take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 185January 29, 2019 5:29 PM

I remember Carrie Fisher saying how she liked going to those conventions because the people were so nice.

by Anonymousreply 186January 29, 2019 5:33 PM

r174 Thanks for showing that she really doesn't have the credits to make her much of a draw

by Anonymousreply 187January 29, 2019 5:34 PM

Much of a draw ITS A PROMOTED REUNION FOR A MOVIE SHE WAS ONE OF THE MAJOR CAST MEMBERS OF? She is asking for inclusion etc. MY GAWD.... Movie fans, craft fans want a reunion with ALL CAST MEMBERS not just 1 2 3 all of them! stfu!

by Anonymousreply 188January 29, 2019 5:36 PM

Do the Sharknado people get any convention love ? She was in 2 of them.

by Anonymousreply 189January 29, 2019 5:36 PM

Toy does seem pretty popular at conventions and she was in a movie that's 30 years old and was killed half way through the film. By that logic, one would assume that Rachel could be popular at one of these cons, too.

I will say this - I'm always surprised by who does and doesn't have a line wrapped around the block at these cons. It changes at every con, too. Someone who had no line on Friday could have a huge line on Saturday. It's very weird, but it's gotta be tough on the actors. They have to smile and wave and pretend like everything's fine when they've had 5 people come up to them all day long.

by Anonymousreply 190January 29, 2019 5:37 PM

Didn’t someone say she was asking for more money ?

by Anonymousreply 191January 29, 2019 5:38 PM

Toy ?

by Anonymousreply 192January 29, 2019 5:39 PM

R177 Hal Jordan was the best. though guy and john were just as great.

by Anonymousreply 193January 29, 2019 5:39 PM

[R191]

Yes, she's posted it on Twitter, but her trolls are claiming it was just a joke....

by Anonymousreply 194January 29, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote]Unfortunately, there's still that ugly white boy section of horror fandom that thinks any movie without a decapitation every 5 minutes and tits every 10 minutes isn't worthy of their time and not a real horror movie. They're the ones who complain that Barbara Crampton didn't immediately propose marriage to them after they waxed on and on about her nude scene in Re-Animator made them cum 5,000 times. These creeps are, unfortunately, very real.

Isn't the one where the disembodied head performs oral sex on her she was laying on the table? Not exactly shocking she'd get some remarks like that from some idiots.

by Anonymousreply 195January 29, 2019 5:41 PM

A huge plot point in the movie was that they were a coven and supposed to be unbreakable. Breaking up the coven goes against a big reason people are still fans of the movie.

It's not about whether she was a big actress afterwards, it's about her being one of the four members of the coven.

by Anonymousreply 196January 29, 2019 5:41 PM

r194 which is clearly was.... laughing about all the xtra promotion!!! CUE THE EYE ROLL idiot.

by Anonymousreply 197January 29, 2019 5:41 PM

R188 What convention is it ? I do not see any of the major US cons having Robin listed as a guest but you claim it's being promoted , so where can we find this ?

by Anonymousreply 198January 29, 2019 5:42 PM

Oh Toy Star of one of The Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

I remember Jad Plinket was on a talk show bitching about her character was killed early in Scream 2 when in fact it was a tribute to Janet Leigh in Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 199January 29, 2019 5:46 PM

Again, does she or does she not take issue with the other girls supposedly doing these conventions while she's being excluded? Because if they are excluding her the others shouldn't be doing anything involving the film unless Craft is included.

by Anonymousreply 200January 29, 2019 5:50 PM

[R200]

Which conventions have the three of them been invited to that she hasn't?

She won't name them, the ones found only show Campbell and Falk invitations, and she has changed her story on Twitter to admit she has been invited to fancons every year.

by Anonymousreply 201January 29, 2019 5:57 PM

R201 so she's saying that one convention is not booking her because she's black but she won't name them?

That seems odd. Wouldn't naming the convention either help right it or at least expose them for being racist so fans can boycott?

by Anonymousreply 202January 29, 2019 6:11 PM

She's not naming them because they would defend themselves and release the texts that show she wanted way more than what the other actresses were getting. And she doesn't have an Academy award, even.

by Anonymousreply 203January 29, 2019 6:17 PM

Jeez do people actually read the threads....here R15

by Anonymousreply 204January 29, 2019 6:22 PM

What's that supposed to be? All I see is a link which lists only Fairuza and Neve, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 205January 29, 2019 6:25 PM

[R204]

Only Falk and Campbell are on the invitation list at that link.

If you posted that to support True....try again.

by Anonymousreply 206January 29, 2019 6:25 PM

Yeah, so where's the third girl that was supposedly invited?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 29, 2019 6:27 PM

Sidenote I can't believe people will pay $80 to get a photo with these people.

by Anonymousreply 208January 29, 2019 6:28 PM

[R208]

I think the issue with True is she wants top dollar that A listers get and it's not going to happen for her.

Rachel True is not unique here.

She's a symptom of a larger problem and that is: celebrities latching on to legitimate social issues to force a pay out for them when they've hit a wall career wise. . Actresses and a few actors are doing it with #metoo. Celebrities do it with gay rights when their careers dry. Celebrities do it with politics.

by Anonymousreply 209January 29, 2019 6:38 PM

Is Rachel saying that the other girl was invited, but declined and Rachel wasn't invited at all?

by Anonymousreply 210January 29, 2019 6:41 PM

[quote]I remember Jad Plinket was on a talk show bitching about her character was killed early in Scream 2 when in fact it was a tribute to Janet Leigh in Psycho

Drew Barrymore’s early death in the first one was a JL tribute (as was Amanda Wyss’s early death in the first Elm Street). Jada’s early death in S2 was just following up with that trope.

by Anonymousreply 211January 29, 2019 11:03 PM

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 212January 29, 2019 11:09 PM

R199 what a scant assessment from such a vapid actress like Pinkett-Smith.

It's practically light as a feather, stiff as a board.

by Anonymousreply 213January 29, 2019 11:39 PM

Is Rachel okay? Can someone check why she's stopped posting on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 214January 30, 2019 2:47 AM

She probably at the Jussie Smollett thread helping the cause over there.

by Anonymousreply 215January 30, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]I remember Jad Plinket was on a talk show bitching about her character was killed early in Scream 2 when in fact it was a tribute to Janet Leigh in Psycho.

[quote]what a scant assessment from such a vapid actress like Pinkett-Smith.

And here we have the problem with the internet.

R199 says he "remembers" Jada "bitching" her character was killed.

R213 believes it and calls her vapid.

The truth is: Jada herself asked Wes Craven when she signed on to die the way she did in that first scene and she has talked about it a few times over the years. She was so happy with it she sent Wes a box of steak knives for Christmas that year.

by Anonymousreply 216January 30, 2019 3:34 AM

I've gone to many cons over the last 15 years & POC are always few & far between as guests. Tony Todd, Ken Foree are the only frequent POC booked!!

by Anonymousreply 217January 30, 2019 7:41 AM

The poster for The Craft has all four of them on it not three. arguably the white actresses were better known at the time but that shouldn't matter at all. i usually roll my eyes at all this political correctness in Hollywood but in this case true has a valid point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218January 30, 2019 12:34 PM

No convention is under any obligation to invite her. It's about money. She has no drawing power on her own. Even the co-stars of the movie, Skeet Ulrich, Christine Taylor, Breckin Meyer, all have more credits that would make them appealing to the con crowd. She's done conventions before. She may have a bad reputation. Whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 219January 30, 2019 1:20 PM

I wonder if Mrs. Will Smith thinks she is the reason that many actors of color were nominated the following year of her protest ? Impossible because thevOscar worthy films had already been in production.

I was looking at her husband’s ( the real reason of her protest. Her man did not get a 3rd nomination)) projects assuming it would be more like the crappy Suicide Squad or that zombie Netflix movie Alladdin is directed by the undependable Guy Ritchie but there is one project that sounds interesting In Gemini Man he plays an over the hill hit an who faces off with a younger clone of himself. Ang Lee might be able to pull this off.

What I saw she was without a doubt not happy she was killed early in Scream 2. At the time Psycho was released Janet Leigh was a big star and it was a shock she was killled early. When big star Barrymore was killed in Scream it was supposed to have the same effect. An actress from the first Nightmare movie not so much.

by Anonymousreply 220January 30, 2019 1:38 PM

White people jump at any opportunity to gaslight people of color and insist that racism doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 221January 30, 2019 3:40 PM

Lame trolls love to post ridiculous wildly overbroad generalizations in threads accusing everyone of being racist when in fact they are the most racist of all.

by Anonymousreply 222January 30, 2019 4:20 PM

r222 White man with no poc as friends.

by Anonymousreply 223January 30, 2019 4:21 PM

Don’t you understand ? The Russian trolls are trying to start a race war.

by Anonymousreply 224January 30, 2019 4:28 PM

The black stars from some of the franchise film, like Kelly Jo Minter from Nightmare on Elm Street 5 (and she has other genre credits too) and Gloria Charles from Friday the 13th part 3 did several conventions before she died.

Pam Grier does them too and I bet she really rakes it in.

by Anonymousreply 225January 30, 2019 4:30 PM

[quote]An actress from the first Nightmare movie not so much.

Tina was the blonde damsel who appeared within the first minute of the original ANOES and was the one who first time viewers believed to be the heroine. When she was killed early on, it was expected and indeed harkened to the early Marion Crane death in psycho.

by Anonymousreply 226January 30, 2019 5:07 PM

R224 They need not try. It's happening organically every day.

by Anonymousreply 227January 31, 2019 3:29 PM

They are all going now....told you it was MonsterMania

We are VERY excited to announce that FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER all four stars of THE CRAFT will be making a convention appearance at MONSTER-MANIA CON 42 which will be held the weekend of MARCH 8-10th in Cherry Hill, NJ! Please LIKE and SHARE this announcement.

Joining us for this VERY SPECIAL REUNION will be NEVE CAMPBELL, FAIRUZA BALK, RACHEL TRUE and making her FIRST CON EVER appearance ROBIN TUNNEY! The stars will be appearing all 3 days of the show!

Don’t miss your chance to meet the stars of THE CRAFT at the show! VIP tickets are already SOLD OUT for the show and we expect that Saturday and possibly Friday will also sell out! Visit our ticket webpage and order your tickets today!

Website not updated yet....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 31, 2019 3:59 PM

Speak yo Truth Rachel!!!! words to power!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 229January 31, 2019 4:00 PM

[R228]

Why does that advertisement says it's Robin Tunney's first appearance ever with the other three?

Sounds like Tunney's the one who's been excluded.

by Anonymousreply 230January 31, 2019 4:03 PM

Robin has never done a convention... she has been asked for years... but never did one.

by Anonymousreply 231January 31, 2019 4:05 PM

And there were 4 - AS IT SHOULD BE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232January 31, 2019 4:08 PM

The whole controversy was that Tunney and the other two have been at every reunion together, while True was excluded because she's black.

So Tunney has actually never been at a single one of these "reunions"....

This was about money, not race.

by Anonymousreply 233January 31, 2019 4:08 PM

This is so important that I cannot believe it is not on the front page of the New York Times!

by Anonymousreply 234January 31, 2019 4:10 PM

r233 NO MORON... Rachel has stated, she had no problem when 2 girls were invited, or 1 on their own over the years. IT WAS THIS ONE THAT WAS PEGGED AS 'REUNION' with the 3 other woman being invited WITHOUT Rachel, it had been planned for weeks, all 3 other girls agreed to show. Fairuza let Rachel know.. THE END.

by Anonymousreply 235January 31, 2019 4:12 PM

[R235]

Baloney...

by Anonymousreply 236January 31, 2019 4:14 PM

r236. Wow thanks for setting me straight grandma. :)

by Anonymousreply 237January 31, 2019 4:15 PM

Robin Tunney doesn't need to do conventions (for now anyway). She was on The Mentalist for 7 seasons and that went into syndication. She has a new show coming up for ABC soon also.

by Anonymousreply 238January 31, 2019 5:10 PM

It's like I wrote before. The convention was trying to get Robin. They were not interested in Rachel unless Robin agreed. That makes perfect sense because she is not a draw like the others. Once Robin said yes, they asked Rachel. Skin color was never an issue except in Rachel's head.

by Anonymousreply 239January 31, 2019 5:29 PM

I saw Robin in a not bad movie recently Monster Party Julian McMahon played her husband. She has had a pretty good career.

by Anonymousreply 240January 31, 2019 5:34 PM

Hmm. Rachel was at a Monster Mania show once already back in 2015 and even promoted it on her Twitter. This does seem to be one of those cases where she made a big deal out of nothing. Maybe she really was trying to get more money.

On the MM Facebook page the MM people are saying it was actually Fairuza that excluded from The Craft reunions at Cons before rather than Rachel. They didn't say why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 31, 2019 5:42 PM

She was at MM and never had a line. Not to say she didn't have customers, but not enough to justify bringing her back without the hook of a full cast reunion.

by Anonymousreply 242January 31, 2019 5:45 PM

r239 WRONG! The three had already been confirmed for over 1 month. Stawp! And they were never ever coming around to ask Rachel. STOP! Dumb white man!

by Anonymousreply 243January 31, 2019 5:54 PM

r241 Sounds about WHITE AGAIN! Whats wrong with you? You never even read her replies or watched the video. IT WASNT ABOUT CONVENTIONS IN GENERAL! It was about REUNION where the 3 had been asked for weeks... and not RACHEL. It was billed as a reunion! SIMPLE! It wasnt a NO CONVENTION ever asks me because I'm black, it was A MAIN CAST member was left out of a reunion OF A MOVIE SHE WAS A MAIN cast member of!

Are we clear! idiot!

by Anonymousreply 244January 31, 2019 5:57 PM

Race. Race. Race. The world is going to hell. Real racism exists but we need to shed a tear for Rachel’ supposedly hurt feelings.

by Anonymousreply 245January 31, 2019 5:58 PM

R143, the problem there have been SOOOO many false claims of racism that it lost it’s meaning. It’s 2019. Most white people don’t give a fuck. Most straights don’t give a fuck about gays. It’s beyond tired.

I love The Craft. It’s a classic. Ball of course steals the show. Neve and Rachel are sidekicks, but Neve is fortunate enough to have a little movie franchise called Scream that con fans love. Rachel has muh racism.

And as usual with these things, the truth comes out. She was greedy. People didn’t want to deal with her. Whether that chip on her shoulder is 20 years old, who knows, but it’s there and nobody has time for it except a vocal minority of SJWs who don’t even go to cons and clickbait “journalists” who get paid to ignite outrage.

by Anonymousreply 246January 31, 2019 5:59 PM

The reply from the Monster Mania facebook. You'll need to scroll though the replies to the post to find it. I'm sure all four will rake in a lot of money for this.

[quote]She hasn’t been iced out at all. She’s been at every Craft pairing or group there’s been at cons. Fairuza is the one who’s been left out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 31, 2019 6:11 PM

So all 4 are going ?

Balk is an interesting actress but she hasn’t worked much. Doesn’t she have a reputation for being difficult ?

by Anonymousreply 248January 31, 2019 6:25 PM

Jesus Christ, someone is really incensed about this upthread. r244, have you tried laudanum?

by Anonymousreply 249January 31, 2019 8:02 PM

p246... She has a great rep. Lies! Explain away white man! Difficult? Link? or just made up opinion? She is still friends with everyone she has every worked with, from her show, from her movies. Chip on her shoulder? More black girl gone bad narratives! She was the minority girl, not worth the same at the others, no need to ask her to join. Simple. Microaggression! deal with it WHITE MAN!

by Anonymousreply 250January 31, 2019 8:06 PM

r250 you are clearly insane and should be red flagged. Go away with your racist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 251January 31, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]Robin Tunney doesn't need to do conventions

Lots of celebs don't HAVE to do cons...you think Arnold needs the money? They do it to meet and thank the fans who appreciate their work. Imagine working 8 weeks on a project and people are still talking about it twenty years later.

by Anonymousreply 252January 31, 2019 9:44 PM

To the white people on here saying stupid shit like “muh racism” and “racism has lost its meaning,” etc., kindly fuck the fuck off. Unless you’ve walked a mile in a black person’s shoes, in 1819, 1919 or 2019, you don’t know a goddamned thing and you wouldn’t say bullshit like that to a black person’s face. Anyhoo...

As for the actresses in the movie, Fairuza was the best and the most memorable. I remember she had to back out of a con last year due to a film commitment, and that she expressed regret to her fans via social media.

by Anonymousreply 253January 31, 2019 10:23 PM

R253, fuck off with your divisive "white people" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 254February 1, 2019 2:56 AM

^You fuck off, fuckface.

by Anonymousreply 255February 1, 2019 3:15 AM

You're being racist, r255, and it's a good way to get red tagged or banned. You also have no idea who is white or not on this board and you can't just assume because someone disagrees with you that they're not black.

by Anonymousreply 256February 1, 2019 3:32 AM

Whatever the rationale for the exclusion, the exclusion is in bad form Black, Hispanic and Asian actors have bills to pay including mortgages, rent, car notes and union fees just as white actors do.

The film was a big hit with wildly devoted fans. The actors, who grew up together, became life long friends.

All of these women have experienced a career cool down as most actors do. Their calendars are clear to fulfill this type of commitment and earn a bit of income.

In excluding True from participating in the convention, the organizers are taking money out of her pocket, why wouldn't she complain, you would complain too. This is more than a slight its an affront which is potentially costing her money.

by Anonymousreply 257February 1, 2019 3:43 AM

r257 I can tell you haven't read the thread, because you're just saying things that have already been said. Clearly you came in here with an agenda, not to discuss a topic.

by Anonymousreply 258February 1, 2019 3:45 AM

i'm discussing the topic, that is my agenda? clearly, my opinion doesn't suit you which is 'fine', it doesn't have to.

by Anonymousreply 259February 1, 2019 5:37 AM

Right on, R257/R259!

by Anonymousreply 260February 1, 2019 9:44 AM

I have a black work friend I got into many heated arguments at the time of the zoJ trial. What made me mad he was an expert on all things black while my opinion didn’t matter. Only very recently did he finally after If I killed Nicole tapes did he say OJ was guilty.

by Anonymousreply 261February 1, 2019 12:15 PM

Young people at work were offended yesterday when a co-worker jokingly said to a black co-worker who walked in the office "looks who's darkening our doorstep". This world is fucked

by Anonymousreply 262February 1, 2019 12:28 PM

I had an argument once with a black friend over how she insisted "black holes" (the cosmic entity) should be renamed because they're racist. Yes, really.

by Anonymousreply 263February 1, 2019 2:52 PM

Elise Neal commented on a gossip IG that, much like Rachel True, she too was shut out of press junkets and convention reunions for the film Scream 2. Neal played Hallie, the roommate of Neve Campbell's character, Sidney .Originally, her character had a more important role, (she was originally going to be one of the killers) but after many script changes, Hallie was reduced to being "the best friend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264February 2, 2019 2:12 AM

Interesting, R264... so I guess we can gather that the problem here is Neve!

by Anonymousreply 265February 2, 2019 2:32 AM

r265 NO DUMBASS! It's the system, the studio... Stop! Always blaming the Woman. She is difficult, she wants more money, oh she is gotta. Cut your dumb women hating. Never wasnt the producer, the financiers, the one in charge of the marketing. Stop!

by Anonymousreply 266February 2, 2019 2:35 AM

One person agreeing with her does not a trend make.

by Anonymousreply 267February 2, 2019 2:47 AM

I can't decide if it would've been better or worse for Hallie to be the killer. What would be her motive?? Plus Mickey was fucking hilarious in the final showdown.

by Anonymousreply 268February 2, 2019 2:02 PM

The original script is somewhere out there R268. The killers were Hallie and Derek.

by Anonymousreply 269February 2, 2019 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!