Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Supremes in the ‘70s

They went through several lineup changes after the departure of Diana Ross in 1970, but still managed to score a few more hits, mostly with Ross soundalike Jean Terrell as lead singer.

Birdsong left the group briefly in 1972, replaced by Lynda Laurence, formerly a backup singer for Stevie Wonder. Terrell and Laurence both left in 1973; Terrell was replaced by Scherrie Payne (sister of Freda), while Laurence was replaced by the returning Birdsong. This iteration lasted until 1976, when Birdsong left again, replaced by Susaye Green, another former Stevie Wonder backup singer. This formation had one final Top 40 hit, “I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking.”

The group disbanded in 1977, although Scherrie Payne and Susaye Green released a duet album, Partners, in 1979.

All of their ‘70s albums are available on streaming services and they’re generally quite strong even though they didn’t perform terribly well commercially. The Supremes Produced & Arranged by Jimmy Webb (from 1972, the last album to feature Jean Terrell) is particularly beautiful.

What are your ‘70s Supremes favorites?

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 5:57 AM

I liked the Jean, Mary and Cindy lineup. Jean didn’t sound like Diana Ross.

“Stoned Love,” “Everbody’s Got the Right to Live,” and others.

by Anonymousreply 1January 28, 2019 12:41 AM

I love the Jimmy Webb album. 5:30 Plane is an incredible song.

I love all the Jean Terrell albums. The box set that came out over a decade ago - This is the Story - is one of my favourite box sets. Beautifully produced and packaged and helps to reassess their output.

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2019 12:52 AM

I beg to differ that Jean didn't sound a lot like Diana. I once dated a guy who had no idea that Diana Ross wasn't singing on "Up the Ladder to the Roof."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2019 9:13 PM

Here's "Bad Weather," with Jean, Mary, and Lynda Laurence. Mary, as always, has that shit-eating grin that makes her look like she's mentally retarded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2019 9:16 PM

"Up the Ladder to the Roof" is probably one of my top ten favorite songs of all time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2019 9:26 PM

Scherrie Payne was probably the most talented lead singer that group ever had. Criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2019 9:40 PM

Let Yourself Go (1976) - Scherrie Payne, Mary Wilson, Susaye Green (the final Supremes incarnation):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2019 9:44 PM

Automatically Sunshine (1972)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2019 9:49 PM

I love the '70s Supremes output. Nathan Jones is a classic. It was covered by Bananarama, and it became a hit for them in the late '80s and their version was featured in Rain Man, as well as the soundtrack. I still think the original Supremes version is superior.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 5:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!