Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Buttigieg. Who the hell is he?

All of the sudden he is everywhere and announced his 2020 candidacy for President.

He’s gay , married, and comes from Indiana or somewhere equally obscured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601March 22, 2019 1:52 AM

Boot-edge-edge

Another voice to the chorus. Fine. No chance to win, but he is a decent voice.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2019 2:14 AM

Did you need to make a new thread on him from the one that was already started today...?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2019 2:14 AM

That name is a nonstarter.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2019 2:16 AM

I like him. This country would vote black, woman, before gay unfortunately. And as mentioned he won't get the democratic black vote for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2019 2:41 AM

All of A sudden, not all of THE sudden

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2019 2:48 AM

He's a master debater … but a gay guy with a last name that starts with "Butt"????

It's good that he'll run, but there's no chance he'll win. Best he can do is provide some great debate performances and raise good issues.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2019 2:49 AM

He is excellent. He ran for head of the DNC or something like that and saw him interviewed several times. He has a future, maybe not President, but he's cabinet level material. Imagine if someone like Kamala Harris chose him for VP (wouldn't hurt, he's from MAGA-land).

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2019 2:56 AM

I guess he needs to find a new job since The Big Bang Theory is going off the air at the end of this season.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2019 2:58 AM

Butty-gig. Yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2019 3:13 AM

I read “Buttplug”

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2019 3:16 AM

Damn. R8 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2019 3:17 AM

His name might as well be "Dick Butts". And openly gay? Holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2019 3:18 AM

Remember when on some tacky show they asked candidate Bill Clinton (or was it Obama) boxers or briefs? In today’s ever more tasteless environment the question will be “top or bottom?” Or perhaps “do like to do the rimming or do you prefer being rimmed?”

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2019 3:31 AM

The comments on the youtube seem rather nice and supportive. The homophobia is found only here. I like him but liking him doesn’t fit the anti-gay agenda of this site.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2019 4:14 AM

Lol R18 First thing I saw was his resemblance to Sheldon.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2019 4:32 AM

Mayor of medium-sized Indiana city isn’t much background for President. But then, Trump had no experience in government at all. So I guess anyone can be qualified.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2019 5:33 AM

Should stick to his old military style haircut, he looked much better then,

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2019 9:32 AM

"She acts like a queen if you know what I mean..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2019 10:02 AM

If he wasn't smart enough to. Change that name...he just ain't smart enough.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2019 10:07 AM

It must be killing Pence that a married homo from Indiana is running for President.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2019 11:54 AM

He's just not hot like Beto.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2019 11:57 AM

I agree. He’s not hot.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2019 11:52 PM

He has no chin and a weak face. And for fuck's sake, he's the mayor of a little town. Talk about narcissism and ego.

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2019 12:29 AM

He does look like Sheldon.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2019 12:34 AM

Good for him! A gay man who may run for President shows how far we have come. Carry on!!

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2019 12:47 AM

He’s also a Rhodes scholar, Harvard graduate and a vet (ran, not animal doctor, although he looks closer to that than a guy who’s seen combat.

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2019 12:57 AM

Underestimate Mayor Pete at your peril -- Afghanistan vet, Harvard, etc. He is a person of real substance.

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2019 12:59 AM

R27 Yes! He deserves the gay community's full support.

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2019 1:08 AM

Peter just turned 37 on January 19th ad has a bright future ahead of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2019 1:12 AM

Don't assume the Dems will be running against Trump in 2020 -- he may be gone by then. But a Mayor Pete vs. Mike Pence showdown would be a perfect heartland/flyover classic.

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]But then, Trump had no experience in government at all. So I guess anyone can be qualified.

Does that mean you think Trump is qualified?

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2019 1:18 AM

^^^ I guess what I meant was that any old fool can be President.

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2019 8:09 AM

I can't wait until this dorky genius from "Flyoverstan," as so many of you sneeringly refer to it, becomes lord and master of you smug, sanctimonious Lilliputians of the Coasts.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2019 8:30 AM

[quote]Underestimate Mayor Pete at your peril -- Afghanistan vet, Harvard, etc. He is a person of real substance.

Yeah... but he’s not hot. As we’ve all pointed out multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2019 4:28 PM

That’s tired and unfunny ^. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2019 4:31 PM

What’s *really* funny is that while some of the queens are just having a good time with his name, there are others here making fun of him because they’re absolutely threatened by him. “You aren’t really free if you can’t sue the bank that lies to you.” He is dangerous. In a good way. So you’ll see him attacked immediately and hopefully those of you joining in will consider the fact that he’s actually saying things that are waking people up — you sure you want to ruin him? Hmmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2019 4:35 PM

He looks just like Jim Parsons. That won't help.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2019 4:36 PM

You’re posting on a site where poster’s post, “I loathe out gay men”, R36.

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2019 4:39 PM

This is true r38 — the irony of my post is not lost on me, I’ve been here a long time. But still I say it, because it’s the right thing to do. Gay men here need to wake the FUCK UP. And if they don’t, they don’t. But I refuse to sit here, quietly sipping my tea while they assassinate a candidate who can improve the quality of life for all citizens. But yes, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2019 4:41 PM

How did the Republicans corner the market on all the hotties? Lindsay Graham, Roger Stone, Wilbur Ross and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2019 4:42 PM

The hate for him is only found on this site, R39. I don’t see it on youtube or anywhere else. Not sure if gay people post here regularly.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2019 4:44 PM

But, I will say that Datalounge is the only forum where you can call gays (I’m going to use the whole word) faggots and actually have the post save and display and not fall into a “awaiting approval” mode. I see the most homophobia on this site as opposed to others. Other sites you can’t use gay slurs.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2019 4:46 PM

[quote]How did the Republicans corner the market on all the hotties? Lindsay Graham, Roger Stone, Wilbur Ross and on and on.

What about Paul Ryan, Aaron Schock?

Who are some Democratic hotties? This South Bend guy isn’t hot.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2019 4:47 PM

The fact that you can get away with gay slurs and homophobia here and have your posts save or not get banned could be appealing to homophobes who post here daily.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2019 4:48 PM

[quote] He's a master debater … but a gay guy with a last name that starts with "Butt"????

And a first name of Peter

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2019 4:52 PM

Who assassinated a candidate, R39?

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2019 4:53 PM

What the fuck ever r46. Give me a break, my eyes are rolling back into my skull. If you want to pretend that the DL has been warm and fuzzy to him, you just go right ahead darling.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2019 5:13 PM

Would someone buy a clue for r43? I'm rather worried.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2019 5:30 PM

He's kind of butch! I likey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 1, 2019 8:43 AM

Neither is Paul Ryan, R43.

by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2019 8:46 AM

He has a lot going for him, especially his military service. I'm not sure how many other Democratic candidates will have served. Respect for the military experience's cross-party, which is something we need. I wish him the best as this primary looks like a mess.

by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2019 9:18 AM

He's gonna need a name change for a start. The opposition are gonna be all over that with puns.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2019 10:17 AM

Yeah, he looks good on paper, but with that dorky face he’s going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 53February 1, 2019 12:40 PM

What a sad commentary on our society that fact is, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54February 1, 2019 2:14 PM

Coming out of the gate with zero name recognition and introducing himself with that bland, dour ad doesn't speak well for his political instincts. He'd need to have a simple, bold message delivered with charm and energy to capture widespread attention. He blew his introduction and running on being gay will not cut it. Snowball's chance. Next.

by Anonymousreply 55February 1, 2019 3:05 PM

Bad face, bad hair, bad teeth, bad name.

by Anonymousreply 56February 1, 2019 3:15 PM

He had a memorable career as a child playing Brighton on "The Nanny"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 1, 2019 3:36 PM

I don't know that much but from what I've seen, he seems excellent. Grounded, well spoken, out and proud...he would probably have a much better chance before the internet ruined every thing.

by Anonymousreply 58February 1, 2019 3:57 PM

R54, they’re trolls, and this is how they act when someone scares them. Time will tell on this candidate, but my first impressions of him are extremely positive, I think he’s incredible.

by Anonymousreply 59February 1, 2019 5:06 PM

He is a fucking nobody and should not be running for president! What the hell is wrong with all of these idiots? I would like for Sherrod Brown to run, he is for workers and sometimes one problem at a time is what we need to see toto.Fair wages are long overdue.

I voted for Hillary but I felt she ignored workers...but she was closer to helping the workers more than any Republican andidate.

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote]Coming out of the gate with zero name recognition

Once people recognize that he's a gay man whose name looks like Butt-Gag, his candidacy will effectively end.

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2019 5:31 PM

[R60] You're working off an old script about Democrats being "the party of working people" that hasn't been relevant since the 1980's. Bill Clinton and his neoliberal compatriots sold out working people a long time ago through "free" trade deals, outsourcing and unfettered illegal immigration. There's no going back for them at this point, which is why someone like Ocasio-Cortez is getting such traction in the media with her pie-in-the-sky proposals of "FREE EVERYTHING!" She provides a good smokescreen for the ruthless, soulless, materialistic neoliberals who are really in change. Say and think what you want about Trump but there's no denying his fairly spectacular employment numbers, which mean a lot more than the happy-talk the Dems are putting out there about caring about "working people." Working people who actually have work is what matters. "Mayor Pete" and his manufactured folksiness don't stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2019 5:35 PM

Well, two year out before the Presidential election:

Jimmy who? Georgia what?

Are you fucking nuts, a governor from ARKANSAS???

Barack Hussein Obama who? Yeah right. HAHAHAHA

Pete Budda-jedge? Gay? HAHAHAHAHA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2019 5:45 PM

"But that means letting go of some of the things in the past that are not going to come back" - such as prosperity? Such as jobs? Such as manufacturing? I wish he'd be specific and I resent the small-minded fatalism implied by that statement. This is an infuriating, condescending, Obama-esque evasion that suggests that as president he'd be in the business of managed decline as opposed to economic dynamism. No, thank you on that count.

Another maddening thing these lockstep Democrats always allude to is "climate change." Even if you believe in the most dire predictions about climate change, it's China and India who are by far the biggest polluters and are beyond the regulatory reach of the U.S. government. The Paris Accord was symbolic and non-binding. Also, globalization and climate change are compatible - shipping goods that could be made at home thousands of miles overseas in heavily-polluting freighters adds enormous amounts of CO2 to the atmosphere. The climate change statements are sentimental, not logical and not to be solved by simply taxing people into oblivion.

"Bold ideas" and "difference perspective" blah blah blah! What ideas? What perspective? He's a bullshitter just like the others and the softball questions and "gee whiz" humble-bragging answers are serious turn-offs. I'd like to see him grilled by someone really knowledgeable about politics and the issues.

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2019 6:16 PM

"globalization and climate change are INCOMPATIBLE"

by Anonymousreply 65February 1, 2019 6:19 PM

r64, keep listening.

r65, no they are not.

Improvements in technology and shifts to service industries on a global level are compatible.

by Anonymousreply 66February 1, 2019 6:33 PM

R66 thinks we can grow the economy by doing each other's laundry.

by Anonymousreply 67February 1, 2019 6:35 PM

Carter, Clinton and Obama were unknowns two years out.

I have stated my boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 68February 1, 2019 6:36 PM

[R68] I get the gist of what you're saying but it's not quite true. Carter was a Naval Commander and the governor of Georgia. Clinton was twice the governor of Arkansas. Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, was groomed as a political star (introducing Kerry at the 2004 Dem convention) and had serious connections. None of them came out of "nowhere" - each of them were groomed by the DNC powers-that-be before they became known nationally.

by Anonymousreply 69February 1, 2019 6:55 PM

He seems smart and articulate (not gonna bitch too much about the lack of specifics - it was The View!), and has definite potential, but I'd like to see him do Congress/the Senate/ Governor first. In 10 years he could be a serious candidate. On a shallow level (which unfortunately is relevant nowadays) in 10 years he'll have lost the baby face and will look less dorky.

by Anonymousreply 70February 1, 2019 7:02 PM

He can't go from being the mayor of a little town to President. His ego's outta control.

by Anonymousreply 71February 1, 2019 7:09 PM

He was cursed at birth with the Kilgallen chin.

by Anonymousreply 72February 1, 2019 7:17 PM

Not only does his surname begin with Butt . . . he hails from South Bend.

by Anonymousreply 73February 1, 2019 7:18 PM

I'd make a Better Peterjudge

by Anonymousreply 74February 1, 2019 7:20 PM

R62, how you could extrapolate all my beliefs from a short post I made is ridiculous. You’re obviously anti-Dem — stop being a pussy and just say so! Fucking wimp. You think in black and white, good and bad, us and them. The Dems are “the bad guys” yes? Got it.

by Anonymousreply 75February 1, 2019 7:52 PM

Peter Butt-plug, Peter Butt-pirate, Peter Butt-fucker, Peter Butter-face, Peter Butt-lover - the homophobic slurs write themselves.

by Anonymousreply 76February 1, 2019 7:53 PM

R76 hasn’t been laid in six months.

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2019 7:58 PM

It's obvious that his appeal to establishment Democrats is all about winning back the Rust Belt, home to many of Hillary's "deplorables." I know that many on DL proudly cite "deplorables" any chance they get but its very damaging to Democrats. Any Democrat presidential candidate who wants to win has to find a way of cleaning up the mess Hillary made with her foolish, impolitic statements.

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2019 8:01 PM

Oh. I thought it said Butt pig. Which actually sounds kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2019 8:03 PM

"I'm Peter Buttplug of South Bend-Over, Indiana and I approved this message."

by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2019 8:09 PM

He's an extremely smart guy who doesn't seem to fail at pretty much anything he does. So he's not great looking, does that really matter? Not all Presidents have been telegenic. He's inexperienced, yes, but I'd like to hear him speak before I make any judgments.

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2019 8:09 PM

R78, let’s call a spade a spade, shall we? The MAGAettes are openly racist, openly bigoted against gays, and despise women having equal power in this country. And you’re worried about their feelings??? How about I DON’T GIVE A FUCK IF IT OFFENDS THEM. Too god damned bad. Hillary tagged them correctly. These are the people who cheer immigrant children being locked up like animals. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2019 8:11 PM

[R82] Projection, projection and more projection, with a dash of fantasy sprinkled in. Clean up your own act and stop moralizing.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2019 8:15 PM

Sure r83, you make “sense.” Tell us, are you even a gay man? Which party do you support? Who did you vote for in 2016?

by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2019 8:18 PM

[R82] I get it that you justify your deep-seated hatred and misanthropy to yourself by arguing that you only feel as you do because other people are so evil. If only those "deplorables" weren't so sexist/racist/homophobic/Islamophobic, etc. you could live in perfect harmony with all of your brothers and sister in the human family. Hitler had similar ideas.

by Anonymousreply 85February 1, 2019 8:32 PM

Pete's father died Sunday, and is being buried today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 1, 2019 8:55 PM

Nice looking man! I certainly wouldn’t crawl over him to get to you . . .

by Anonymousreply 87February 1, 2019 9:03 PM

I can only imagine what nickname Trump would coin for him.

by Anonymousreply 88February 1, 2019 11:07 PM

He looks eerily like Sheldon on Big Bang. Big turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 89February 2, 2019 12:26 AM

Mayor of South Bend isn't going to be anyone's idea of proper preparation for the presidency.

Running a terrible corporation that has declared bankruptcy is actually worse preparation, but at least Trump was able to fool people into thinking otherwise. No one is going to think Pete Buttigieg is ready though--that's the difference.

Obviously, he's doing this to get statewide name attention so he can make a real run for governor or senator.

by Anonymousreply 90February 2, 2019 12:31 AM

I think he can handle Trump r88.

by Anonymousreply 91February 2, 2019 12:32 AM

He resembles Mr. Bean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 2, 2019 9:49 AM

I thought he came across better prepared and seeemed way more genuine than Cory Booker did during his appearance yesterday on the View.

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2019 2:08 PM

An intelligent, competent, genuine guy has no chance to win in politics these days.

by Anonymousreply 94February 2, 2019 4:23 PM

Booker never feels genuine to me r93, why I believe he might actually be a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 95February 2, 2019 5:43 PM

How the FUCK do you pronounce his name?!?

Butt-ih-geeg?

I have no clue.

by Anonymousreply 96February 2, 2019 10:22 PM

r96 it's Buddah-jedge,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 2, 2019 10:31 PM

Boot-edge-edge

by Anonymousreply 98February 18, 2019 6:17 AM

His confidence and bro vibe make him extra hot.

by Anonymousreply 99February 18, 2019 6:35 AM

I heard him interviewed on NPR and I like him. He has no chance, but...

by Anonymousreply 100February 18, 2019 6:44 AM

His appearance on Colbert was disturbing. He was trying much too hard, coming out in shirtsleeves, loosened tie, etc.

It didn't help that his appearance was directly after a very dapper looking Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 101February 18, 2019 10:47 AM

He looks like the bastard child of Old Sheldon and Mr. Bean.

by Anonymousreply 102February 18, 2019 3:42 PM

I like him. But is he ready for the Presidency?

by Anonymousreply 103March 7, 2019 8:59 PM

of course not - he's a narcissist

by Anonymousreply 104March 7, 2019 9:59 PM

Oh please r104. What the fuck are you now, our resident Boot-edge-edge Expert Witness? Be gone.

by Anonymousreply 105March 7, 2019 10:05 PM

He is a young man with solid government, military and management cred.

TRUMP is a narcissist and they are worlds apart.

by Anonymousreply 106March 7, 2019 10:06 PM

Tomorrow CNN has 3 Town Halls with the nonentities: one with Delaney, one with Gabbard and one with this guy.

by Anonymousreply 107March 8, 2019 2:17 AM

He’s one smart cookie, but with limited experience. Still, he’s far more qualified to be President than Trump or Pence.

by Anonymousreply 108March 8, 2019 4:33 AM

[quote]Still, he’s far more qualified to be President than Trump or Pence.

So is my emotional support amoeba.

by Anonymousreply 109March 9, 2019 2:13 AM

Dang. Just watched that clip of him on The View at R49. VERY impressive man and CLEARLY a skilled politician to be able to hold his own among that many squaking chickens. He answered ALL of their questions thoughtfully, respectfully and while making a connection with them and still keeping the answers universally appealing.

I was ready to dismiss him as well when I heard the Mayor South Bend was running for President. No, of course he isn't going to get the nom, but he definitely has a bright future. He just may need to leave Indiana first.

by Anonymousreply 110March 9, 2019 2:30 AM

He is outstanding, and if more people get to see him in action it could make a difference

by Anonymousreply 111March 9, 2019 2:31 AM

Jim Parsons should play him in the eventual inevitable biopic film.

by Anonymousreply 112March 9, 2019 5:10 AM

If elected, will there be White Parties in the White House?

by Anonymousreply 113March 9, 2019 6:45 AM

He was just on the Stay Tuned with Preet podcast. Very well spoken and intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 114March 9, 2019 7:13 AM

Why isn't this guy running for statewide office in 2020? He's like Julian Castro - too shit-scared to run statewide in a red state but thinks he can be President.

by Anonymousreply 115March 9, 2019 3:16 PM

Oh fuck off r115. You have no clue.

by Anonymousreply 116March 9, 2019 5:07 PM

Everyone underestimated Carter, Trump, Obama, Clinton’s chances too. Gay, straight, whatever-this guy is super impressive

by Anonymousreply 117March 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Mr. Bean's on TV tonight on CNN!

by Anonymousreply 118March 10, 2019 9:27 PM

DL Homos a question for you. More important than his abilities as a politician-Is Peter BUTTgieg DOABLE?

by Anonymousreply 119March 10, 2019 9:51 PM

R119 no

by Anonymousreply 120March 10, 2019 10:45 PM

"What the hell is wrong with all of these idiots?"

I was just trying to re-tool my brand. I mean, that's all we had after the banks no longer would loan to us. We were selling cubic zirconia, deodorant, steaks... Also, I'd found out Gwen Stefani was making more than me on that talent show.

I shoulda got right back on that Up escalator...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 10, 2019 10:51 PM

He is wonderful. Give him time to age gracefuly, hold more offices, and he will be a light for years.

by Anonymousreply 122March 10, 2019 10:56 PM

R119, Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 123March 10, 2019 11:02 PM

I've heard him do several interviews. I like him. Rational, intelligent and calm. Wish I had a chance to vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 124March 10, 2019 11:03 PM

He's Beto Lite

by Anonymousreply 125March 10, 2019 11:03 PM

Heard him on the Preet Bharara podcast.

He’s very smart and has a nice deep voice. He has a great future in politics

by Anonymousreply 126March 10, 2019 11:08 PM

That name tho.

by Anonymousreply 127March 10, 2019 11:09 PM

He needs to go to Ivanka's plastic surgeon and have a chin constructed.

by Anonymousreply 128March 10, 2019 11:13 PM

Beto/Buttigieg ticket please <3 <3

by Anonymousreply 129March 10, 2019 11:18 PM

We Like Butt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 10, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote]He's Beto Lite

I actually feel like he has more substance than Beto whose cult of personality is becoming a bit much. (Just read about the nonsense he was up to at SXSW)

by Anonymousreply 131March 11, 2019 12:27 AM

Shirtless pics? Any nudes?

by Anonymousreply 132March 11, 2019 12:37 AM

I never thought I'd live to see the day when an openly gay man could run for President - and Peter Buttigieg is doing just that. He's cracking that glass ceiling that says No Gays Allowed. He's a real pioneer, a possibility thinker, and a knowledgeable guy. He has the seeds of greatness in him and I hope he stays in the public eye for many years to come - maybe even as President!

by Anonymousreply 133March 11, 2019 12:42 AM

Harris/Buttigieg?

by Anonymousreply 134March 11, 2019 1:05 AM

Biden/Buttigieg...

by Anonymousreply 135March 11, 2019 1:07 AM

Nice to see a regular Joe that just happens to be gay, no grandstanding or desperate for attention.

He however mentions the LGBT and that is problematic. He needs to remove himself away from the alphabet soup if he has any prayer of entering national politics. The backlash against the T is coming and the last thing he needs is for gays to be caught on that mess.

by Anonymousreply 136March 11, 2019 1:16 AM

Live on CNN right now, west coast, go watch.

by Anonymousreply 137March 11, 2019 1:28 AM

Goodness, he is impressive. Oh shit!

by Anonymousreply 138March 11, 2019 1:37 AM

"Yeah, he looks good on paper, but with that dorky face he’s going nowhere."

I think he's cute in a "real gay" way, and if being unattractive disqualified someone Trump wouldn't be president because he's fat, orange, and has the worst haircut in the world.

"He however mentions the LGBT and that is problematic. He needs to remove himself away from the alphabet soup if he has any prayer of entering national politics. The backlash against the T is coming and the last thing he needs is for gays to be caught on that mess."

Yawn, another chance for the "I hate trans people" to express their hate, even in a thread that is not about trans people

by Anonymousreply 139March 11, 2019 1:44 AM

He’s a totally hot little stud muffin

by Anonymousreply 140March 11, 2019 1:46 AM

Pete is 10x the candidate that Beto is.

by Anonymousreply 141March 11, 2019 1:49 AM

Are you guys watching this? He obviously has been studying all the important issues facing America.

I don't understand. How did Indiana end up with such a brilliant and intelligent orator? It doesn't compute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 11, 2019 1:58 AM

Stop the insanity. He's a non-starter, I don't care HOW he pronounces his unfortunately-spelled surname ("Bouquet," not "Bucket"). And intelligence is not and never has been a major advantage in American politics.

by Anonymousreply 143March 11, 2019 2:18 AM

To all of you claiming you believe he could never be elected because he is gay, he got re-elected South Bend Mayor after coming out. Now South Bend is a very Democratic city but it is still conservative Indiana and the Democrats in South Bend tend to run on the conservative side.

I am not saying it isn't going to be a really tough experience for him to get elected as a gay man to the Presidency but I don't think it is impossible. I am hoping for a good cabinet position for Pete in a Democratic Presidency in 2020 and hope he can run for President again in 2028.

by Anonymousreply 144March 11, 2019 3:03 AM

R144 Annise Parker, an out lesbian. was twice elected Mayor of Houston - the soon-to-be 3rd largest city in the US in a solid red state.

by Anonymousreply 145March 11, 2019 3:06 AM

He is receiving glowing reviews from political pundits.

David Axelrod:

[quote]I have rarely seen a candidate make better use of televised Town Hall than @PeteButtigieg is on @CNN tonight. Crisp, thoughtful and relatable. He’ll be a little less of a long shot tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 11, 2019 3:07 AM

Seth Abramson:

[quote]Everyone should be watching @CNN right now. @PeteButtigieg is absolutely killing this town hall. I'm not endorsing anyone or putting anyone else down—at all—I'm just saying this guy, who I didn't know anything about before tonight, seems extremely impressive. So many smart ideas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 11, 2019 3:11 AM

He's whip-smart and has some interesting, thought-provoking ideas.

by Anonymousreply 148March 11, 2019 3:14 AM

What gay man could get elected without a sex scandal? Doesn’t everyone have at least a dick pic or hookup app profile in their past?

by Anonymousreply 149March 11, 2019 3:18 AM

This guy was so thoughtful, fluid, and confident . If he makes it to the debate (he needs 65k different donations to qualify) he is going to killl the field.

Robert Costa:

[quote]This Buttigieg town hall is worth watching. Polished and thoughtful presentation with clear answers. Underscores military exp. Of course, it’s a big field and he’s a young Midwestern mayor. But he’s using his time on stage effectively here. This is a focused candidate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 11, 2019 3:21 AM

Pete Buttigieg savagely roasted Mike Pence tonight. It was impressive.

[quote] "Is it that he stopped believing in scripture when he started believing in Donald Trump?”"

by Anonymousreply 151March 11, 2019 3:25 AM

R135, fuck no on Biden.

by Anonymousreply 152March 11, 2019 3:45 AM

R143, everyone knows he's not going win. But he's there to say things other more viable candidates probably can't.... and to raise important issues, and call things out. He's great for that.

by Anonymousreply 153March 11, 2019 3:51 AM

R152, fuck yes on Biden.

by Anonymousreply 154March 11, 2019 3:58 AM

Peter Bland

by Anonymousreply 155March 11, 2019 4:03 AM

Pete's a gay Belgian boy from South Bend. South Bend is a place that everyone wants to leave. Including Pete! He's no fool.

by Anonymousreply 156March 11, 2019 4:11 AM

R154, are you stupid? Biden has so much baggage, he'd be ripped to shreds. Reminder: Hillary started her campaign with approval ratings in the 60s. And they have enough to hang on Biden, especially in this #MeeToo world, that he'd be shredded even more than her.

Biden has tried three times before and never even made it to Super Tuesday. He's was a great VP for Obama, sure, but he's got a zero percent chance of even winning a Primary, let alone a General Election against the GOP/Russia smear machine.

Pull your head out of your ass, please.

by Anonymousreply 157March 11, 2019 4:17 AM

R157, After Beau Biden died, his brother Hunter left his wife and children for his late brother's widow. And both Joe and Jill Biden publicly approved. You don't think that will be brought up during the campaign if Biden runs for POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 158March 11, 2019 4:28 AM

Holy shit. I thought you were making that up for a second, R158, and then I googled it. That's just.. wow. Anyway, I don't think that will hurt Biden, but it's still.. quite the way for a family to bond.

Anyway, is this town hall thing re-airing? Bummed I missed Petey shining on Andy Coop's network.

by Anonymousreply 159March 11, 2019 6:08 AM

Okay, watched a few clips. He was very impressive. I donated. Not because I really think he has a shot, but because I'd like to see his profile raised and see him continue to rise in prominence in the party. And...maybe... one day make it to the highest office.

by Anonymousreply 160March 11, 2019 7:31 AM

He is charismatic.

One of the keys to the WH that few of the declared possesses.

by Anonymousreply 161March 11, 2019 7:33 AM

His being gay seems to be the only novelty that is attracting any attention. If not for that he would be treated like any of the other noname people who somehow get their name on the ballot. He's going to have to achieve something to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 162March 11, 2019 7:39 AM

Biden was pro-segregation.

by Anonymousreply 163March 11, 2019 7:41 AM

[quote]After Beau Biden died, his brother Hunter left his wife and children for his late brother's widow. And both Joe and Jill Biden publicly approved. You don't think that will be brought up during the campaign if Biden runs for POTUS?

Also, Biden's comments about Obama being articulate and clean will be played nonstop on black media.

by Anonymousreply 164March 11, 2019 7:43 AM

Biden was exposed as a plagiarist twice in his adult life, once in law school and once during the 1988 campaign for POTUS.

That will definitely be rehashed by Team Trump.

by Anonymousreply 165March 11, 2019 8:51 AM

There's also a video compilation of Biden being quite handsey and inappropriate with very uncomfortable-looking younger women. THAT will be played endlessly too.

by Anonymousreply 166March 11, 2019 1:38 PM

How big is Mr. Butt Plug’s cock?

by Anonymousreply 167March 11, 2019 1:44 PM

The beauty of running against tRump is that no matter what skeletons the Republicunts pull from your closet, there is just about nothing that will pale in comparison to the shit pit of horrors that is Trump's past and present. And even his handlers know this. Any Democratic candidate will rake him over the coals in terms of any smear campaign.

I saw last night's CNN town hall in its entirety, and Mayor Pete may be relatively unknown (hell, I really didn't know much about him at all before yesterday), but he's going to be a superstar. He has surpassed O'Rourke in my opinion, and I know Beto personally. No joke. With some high-powered financial backing, Buttigieg will go far. If he can win over 80% of his constituents, then he should be able to translate that on a national level with some energetic support. He already has the required charisma in spades.

What really thrills me is that he is a strong voice for our community, and I absolutely fucking LOVE that. He makes me so proud, and I am so genuinely gobsmacked to have lived to see this momentous occasion in our country, in which an out gay man--military, no less--is running for President of the United States, not to mention being married to a MAN, and most of the country isn't batting an eyelid. That is undeniable progress, and I personally would like to see how much further he can take us. This man is the real deal, and I identify with him infinitely more than any of the other candidates. He's got my vote now....and my jaded heart.

by Anonymousreply 168March 11, 2019 1:55 PM

I like him. But I can't see him winning the nomination in 2020. He should run for governor of Indiana first.

by Anonymousreply 169March 11, 2019 1:58 PM

I agree, a governorship would serve him well. But I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the as the VP pick for whichever Dem gets the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 170March 11, 2019 2:00 PM

Nope. Bernie will choose a woman as his VP.

by Anonymousreply 171March 11, 2019 2:03 PM

R157 baggage no longer exists after Trump, right? No, I guess past behavior only disqualifies Democrats. Republicans just need to be "listened to" and "reached out to" and "blown when necessary".

by Anonymousreply 172March 11, 2019 2:38 PM

Worse comes to worse, he is increasing his visibility in Confederate Indiana.

It MAY end well.

by Anonymousreply 173March 11, 2019 5:16 PM

Finally someone is using Trumps playbook against him. His bashing of Pence by using the term “porn star President” is the first effective use of Trumps strategy of using nicknames that stick to summarize and demean the whole persona of an opponent. Like AOCs use of twitter, he gets that we can’t “rise above it” - but have to use the same dirty tricks as Trump/Stone/Bannon to defeat him. Well done.

“Porn star President” needs to be repeated constantly and everywhere. Perfect nickname and summary for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 174March 11, 2019 5:22 PM

Loved his Town Hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 11, 2019 6:43 PM

“Porn Star President” may be too complimentary of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 176March 12, 2019 12:32 AM

F&F R171. Bernie is going to lose in a landslide just like last time you dumbfuck. Stop worshiping at the feet of that mediocre old fraud.

by Anonymousreply 177March 12, 2019 12:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 12, 2019 1:29 AM

The Emerson poll shows Bernie beating Trump in Michigan, just as he would have in 2016. He'll get voters who could never vote for Hillary under any circumstance but who will be willing to vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 179March 12, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote] He'll get voters who could never vote for Hillary under any circumstance but who will be willing to vote for him.

So you're telling us that Bernie voters are responsible for Hillary not beating Trump?

by Anonymousreply 180March 12, 2019 1:34 AM

Hillary and the DNC are responsible for Hillary not beating Trump.

by Anonymousreply 181March 12, 2019 1:37 AM

Take the Bernie and Hillary crap out of a Mayor Pete thread.

BEGONE

by Anonymousreply 182March 12, 2019 1:40 AM

I’m a lifelong Democrat who would never vote for Bernie Sanders under any circumstance. He’s not even a Democrat, for Chrissake!

by Anonymousreply 183March 12, 2019 2:06 AM

r168 Thank you for writing that. I feel proud watching all this unfold as well and I'm not even American. He probably won't be the candidate but he's raising his profile and the profile of smart gay men everywhere. I just hope some truly awful oppo that buries him overnight isn't in the works. To all those making fun of his name - stop being childish and focus on his policies. Someone named Donald J. (Jessica?) Trump is currently in the White House. TRUMP. It doesn't get worse than that.

The soldier aspect... unnerves me a bit, should it turn into a trend of only army people being electable in the distant future. It's the perfect weapon against Trump but may have consequences down the line. It's not wise to let the generals govern themselves.

by Anonymousreply 184March 12, 2019 2:06 AM

R184 Buttigieg was Naval intelligence officer in the Navy Reserve in 2009, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2014 for a seven-month deployment while he was Mayor. I think it was a resume builder for him, he is ambitious which is pretty much why he is running for President. Anyone running for President has to be ambitious I guess, but my point is this wasn't a regular enlistment in the Navy but instead an enlistment in the Naval reserve, if we weren't at war he would have never seen anything close to combat.

by Anonymousreply 185March 12, 2019 2:14 AM

R184, you never need to worry about Congress being taken over by soldiers. I believe in the 50’s that the vast majority in Congress were indeed veterans, but that was WW2 — we will never again see the numbers we saw of men volunteering to serve their country however they could including running for office.

by Anonymousreply 186March 12, 2019 2:16 AM

R179 lives in a fantasy world where general elections don't actually happen, and only the pre-primary polls count.

The GOP/Russian smear machine would tear Bernie apart so badly he'd lose in a landslide. You fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 187March 12, 2019 2:27 AM

R181 could not be more wrong... a sexist dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 188March 12, 2019 2:29 AM

"Anyone running for President has to be ambitious I guess, but my point is this wasn't a regular enlistment in the Navy but instead an enlistment in the Naval reserve, if we weren't at war he would have never seen anything close to combat."

But we WERE at war, he knew he could be deployed

by Anonymousreply 189March 12, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote] he knew he could be deployed

He joined in 2009 and wasn't deployed until 2014, it must have been like a kid waiting for Santa Claus to come down the chimney.

by Anonymousreply 190March 12, 2019 2:34 AM

lol r441, so true - btw you wrote my post for me.

by Anonymousreply 191March 12, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Pete's a gay Belgian boy from South Bend.

I thought he was Maltese.

by Anonymousreply 192March 12, 2019 3:08 AM

There's no way a gay man will ever be elected President in this country.

There's still way too much prejudice, even though it's 2019.

by Anonymousreply 193March 12, 2019 7:18 AM

^^^ And yet, I was thinking there was no way Trump could possibly get elected in 2016 either, but here we are….

by Anonymousreply 194March 12, 2019 6:39 PM

^^^ This gay guy got elected in Mike Pence’s conservative state, Indiana. So stranger things have happened, like Trump getting elected.

by Anonymousreply 195March 12, 2019 8:10 PM

R195 Houston... which is in Texas a state redder than Indiana ... twice elected an out lesbian as mayor. Houston has a population of 5 million. South Bend has a population of 100,000.

Don't be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 196March 12, 2019 9:06 PM

[quote] I thought he was Maltese.

I wonder if he's related to Danielle Fishel. jk

Seriously though, I'm glad to see that his candidacy is having a bit of snowball effect. Is he a long-shot dark horse? Yes. But he's less of a long-shot dark horse than he was even a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 197March 12, 2019 9:11 PM

I recall a conversation I had with a co-worker in 2004. We were both convinced Americans wouldn't elect a black President.

by Anonymousreply 198March 12, 2019 9:12 PM

I just want to see him get into the debates because he's clearly much smarter than some of the other idiots running.

by Anonymousreply 199March 12, 2019 9:14 PM

America has elected a lot of straights even in a darker color. I don't know about a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 200March 12, 2019 9:15 PM

r198 Not just a black president but one name Barack HUSSEIN Obama? Not in a million years we thought.

by Anonymousreply 201March 12, 2019 9:17 PM

Exactly. That’s why I am questioning whether or not we are selling ourselves short by being so quick to admit defeat with this guy. Why do we really think this way? ANYONE can win right now. That will shift soon enough, but powerful money is going to start placing money on this guy, and then it will be about how much momentum builds with him — that will determine if the money keeps flowing.

I absolutely believe that with the right support, he has enormous potential and we *must* not write-off a candidate just because he/she is gay! The majority is WITH us.

by Anonymousreply 202March 12, 2019 9:25 PM

I want a Buttigieg 2020 lawn sign.

by Anonymousreply 203March 12, 2019 9:28 PM

"Houston... which is in Texas a state redder than Indiana ... twice elected an out lesbian as mayor."

Houston has a large minority population, most of whom are Dems

by Anonymousreply 204March 12, 2019 9:31 PM

I’m sure the Fundies are combing through Grindr, Adam4Adam etc., to find a salacious profile. Gay guys will, too, for salacious reasons such as verification of size, ass or top or bottom status.

by Anonymousreply 205March 12, 2019 9:35 PM

Ok r204, and so another way to look at it is I’m guessing South Bend does *not* have a super diverse population — yet they elected this gay man. Twice, yes?

by Anonymousreply 206March 12, 2019 9:37 PM

R205, fundies will maliciously comb through, invent, lie, cheat, steal against any Democratic candidate in an effort to smear them and advance their own backwards agendas.

It's time to stop worrying about their hypocrisy and what they think.

by Anonymousreply 207March 12, 2019 9:38 PM

Buttigieg hasn't a prayer of being President.

Gay, single, bland, unqualified and unseasoned.

by Anonymousreply 208March 12, 2019 9:38 PM

[quote] Gay, single, bland, unqualified and unseasoned.

Except for the gay part, you're wrong on every other adjective in that sentence.

by Anonymousreply 209March 12, 2019 9:39 PM

r205 smart politicians know not to use the same area as the commoners. You gotta dig deeper. The instawhores, popular gay porn stars that escort, and high class daddies that have connections would certainly steer you towards the right direction.

Biggest problem is that all gay celebrities hang out with gay porn stars, porn stars aren't people you revere and put up there on the same level as Obama.

by Anonymousreply 210March 12, 2019 9:39 PM

I just googled the demographics....Houston is 50% white. South Bend is 60% white.

R208, he’s not bland at ALL, he’s simply articulate. People aren’t looking for a bullshit artist, they’re sick of that.

by Anonymousreply 211March 12, 2019 9:40 PM

His town hall was magnificent. I think he'll have a prominent cabinet spot. And an openly gay cabinet official will check a box for the PresiDem, whomever she or he is.

I love Mayor Pete! Really genuine and no-bullshit. Seems like some folks are responding to that.

by Anonymousreply 212March 12, 2019 9:40 PM

Who are his potential voters. Let me guess fraus and mostly lgbtq community. I am not been mean.

by Anonymousreply 213March 12, 2019 9:41 PM

R208 does not even know simple facts, R211. He thinks he's single.

by Anonymousreply 214March 12, 2019 9:41 PM

I've met him. He's butching it up for TV.

by Anonymousreply 215March 12, 2019 9:44 PM

So what if he is r215? We don’t give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 216March 12, 2019 9:45 PM

Has anyone here had him? Top or bottom? Cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 217March 12, 2019 9:47 PM

Top or bottom? Probably versatile.

by Anonymousreply 218March 12, 2019 9:47 PM

And you know what? No DOUBT his core base would be LGBTQ, fraus, and likely AA’s.

But I also think there are many men who simply out of curiosity would want to hear “the gay soldier who was a mayor” talking, if only for the novelty. And then when they hear his message, many will realize he has a REAL message and great ideas. People are hungry for game-changers, GenX on down do not give two fucks about orientation.

by Anonymousreply 219March 12, 2019 9:48 PM

R219. We shall see since older people vote e n mass in comparison to younger people. I don't see them voting for an openly gay guy. African Americans tend to be very conservative so you are wrong. I don't see minorities voting for him.

by Anonymousreply 220March 12, 2019 9:53 PM

Your Democratic Concern has been noted, R220.

by Anonymousreply 221March 12, 2019 9:55 PM

It's true that religious African Americans in particular are not very supportive of gays and lesbians, yet they obviously voted for the out lesbian as mayor in Houston (I'm blanking on her name). I doubt she could have won if they hadn't.

I think the fact that he's married and seems a little nerdy and sexless (if you ask me) would work in his favor, by offsetting the gay angle in the eyes of religious types.

by Anonymousreply 222March 12, 2019 10:01 PM

Good on the Weeds podcast today

by Anonymousreply 223March 12, 2019 10:02 PM

Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg???

Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 224March 12, 2019 10:04 PM

Religious types don't care if he's married or lacks sex appeal. They're convinced all gay men are insatiable sluts.

by Anonymousreply 225March 12, 2019 10:08 PM

R225, Well, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 226March 12, 2019 10:17 PM

Religious types also voted for Trump who sleazes around with strippers and porn stars, so nobody really cares what they think anymore.

by Anonymousreply 227March 12, 2019 10:20 PM

R222. Maybe the lesbians are ok because why is miss Booker still in the closet. Male homosexuality is more of a serious issue for religious people. R227 trump is an heterosexual sleazeball so it is ok.

by Anonymousreply 228March 12, 2019 10:24 PM

I'd vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 229March 12, 2019 10:48 PM

[quote]It's true that religious African Americans in particular are not very supportive of gays and lesbians, yet they obviously voted for the out lesbian as mayor in Houston

The circumstances are a bit different in Houston since that city is 43% Hispanic, 25% white, 23% black, and 6% Asian. The demographics are very young and favorable to a gay candidate.

by Anonymousreply 230March 12, 2019 11:50 PM

The mayor of Houston was Annise Parker who has a wife and a bunch of adopted black kids.

Maybe she should run for President.

by Anonymousreply 231March 13, 2019 12:03 AM

I love this guy and I donated because a place in the debates is dependent upon the number of early donations the candidates receive. Even a tiny $5 donation counts! And I did that fully knowing there's virtually no chance he'll be the nominee. That said, I imagine he'll be a speaker at the DNC and has a bright future in public service.

by Anonymousreply 232March 13, 2019 12:06 AM

I love that he triggers the Concern Trolls. Makes me like him even more.

by Anonymousreply 233March 13, 2019 12:08 AM

Pete is known now after his CNN town hall.

by Anonymousreply 234March 13, 2019 12:17 AM

Posted today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 13, 2019 12:33 AM

I like him a lot. I hope he can overtake Bernie and Biden.

by Anonymousreply 236March 13, 2019 12:34 AM

Pete is now my darkhorse pick after Beto and Harris.

Bernie's campaign donations seem frontloaded. All the bitter Berbros that still have an itch from 2016. Watch how his campaign efforts plummet once the candidates start digging dirt on him and smear campaigns begin.

by Anonymousreply 237March 13, 2019 12:47 AM

I'm sorry -- a gay candidate with a name like Buttgag?

by Anonymousreply 238March 13, 2019 12:52 AM

I sure wish some of you would grow the fuck up R238, and stop with the childish name jokes, it only reflect badly on you not him. The people who have a problem with his name were never going vote for him anyway even if it was Peter Smith.

I remember when people said a man with the middle name of Hussein would never be elected President. I can remember when they said a black man would never be elected, heck I am old enough to remember when they said a Catholic would never be elected President.

by Anonymousreply 239March 13, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote] I want a Buttigieg 2020 lawn sign.

Would you settle for a T-shirt for now? Hopefully you will donate at least $3 to his campaign also so he can be included in the debates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 13, 2019 1:10 AM

R239, thank you. Such grade school silliness about the name.

by Anonymousreply 241March 13, 2019 1:10 AM

R241, I will, once I'm home. Here is the Buttigieg donation link. And I like that shirt, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 13, 2019 1:12 AM

2020 is serious business. We don't need a punchline name as a candidate, especially when there are equally viable non-punchlines. You grow up.

by Anonymousreply 243March 13, 2019 1:14 AM

[bold]Don't buy Pete memorabilia unless it comes from his official campaign[/bold]. Don't throw your dollars to who knows what person, instead donate to his campaign or better yet go to his official website and buy your t-shirts from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 13, 2019 1:16 AM

Found a link for a 2020 Buttigieg yard sign but they are $31.70 each, wait long enough and you might be able to get one free, an official one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 13, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote]a name like Buttgag?

It’s pronounced butt-genie.

by Anonymousreply 246March 13, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote] 2020 is serious business. We don't need a punchline name as a candidate, especially when there are equally viable non-punchlines. You grow up.

Yes it is serious business, too serious to make Butt jokes, we can all see who needs to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 247March 13, 2019 1:27 AM

Budda-jedge.

by Anonymousreply 248March 13, 2019 1:32 AM

He's too rehearsed, too programmed, too cliche.

His always appearing in shirtsleeves, please.

That first CNN Town Hall question was an obvious plant and his automated response was so pat.

by Anonymousreply 249March 13, 2019 1:33 AM

Zazzle is not an official outlet.

Wait till Pete adds stuff to his online store.

by Anonymousreply 250March 13, 2019 1:33 AM

Have you noticed that posters who claim, so and so candidate, doesn't stand a chance of getting elected, will spend hours on threads about that candidate trying to convince everyone the candidate doesn't stand a chance?

by Anonymousreply 251March 13, 2019 1:34 AM

Leslie King became Gerald Ford, so he wouldn't be the first politician to have a name change, if he was smart enough to do it.

by Anonymousreply 252March 13, 2019 1:34 AM

Pete is sol;id and poised in his presentation.

He is a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 253March 13, 2019 1:34 AM

Pete's the man.

by Anonymousreply 254March 13, 2019 1:35 AM

R249 = self-hating gay

Pete sounds intelligent and knowledgeable. A throwback to the days when gay men were not afraid to be measured, relatable, and bold. Today's gay leaders are forced to become caricatures of what a man is and instead have to pander to the lowest common denominator like mimicry, stereotypes, and ignorance.

Pete is the man gay men have waited for... A leader not a follower.

by Anonymousreply 255March 13, 2019 1:41 AM

My first boyfriend was a Vietnam Vet. I was proud of him.

Seeing pictures of Pete in his camo makes me a very proud as well.

by Anonymousreply 256March 13, 2019 1:49 AM

He is very unfortunate to look at.

by Anonymousreply 257March 13, 2019 1:49 AM

I find him creepy.

by Anonymousreply 258March 13, 2019 1:58 AM

I LOVE him so much

by Anonymousreply 259March 13, 2019 1:59 AM

Our next First Lady?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260March 13, 2019 2:17 AM

He is all man baby.

His deportment, his deep voice, masculinity, and his confidence are all pluses. He doesn't need to win the primary. He only needs to perform well in places like South Carolina, Florida and his homestate like Indiana. He could be a great VP to a Beto or Klobuchar, even to a Biden.

by Anonymousreply 261March 13, 2019 2:19 AM

r260, he'd be the First Chasten, ya asshole.

by Anonymousreply 262March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

This thread is so disappointing. We have a dynamic and possibly viable gay candidate in a year with no clear front runner and a wide open field, and instead of rallying around him and trying to push him as far as possible, maybe even all the way, we have posters making fun of his name like a bunch of 5 year olds and the usual concern trolls, self-loathers and Borises.

So fucking predictable, Datalounge. This is why we’re still lacking equity.

by Anonymousreply 263March 13, 2019 2:46 AM

The people complaining about his name were the ones saying no one would vote for a guy named Barack Hussein Obama.

by Anonymousreply 264March 13, 2019 2:49 AM

R263 there were some better threads a day or so ago but they are buried and this somehow got bumped from a year ago or more.

by Anonymousreply 265March 13, 2019 2:50 AM

I saw my doppelgänger once. I was watching SNL years ago and a couple was sitting at a table in a restaurant scene and one of them looked EXACTLY like me. Even the movements were the same.

It was creepy.

I've never seen that sketch again.

by Anonymousreply 266March 13, 2019 4:56 AM

Wrong thread.

Don't know how I got in this one.

by Anonymousreply 267March 13, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote]The people complaining about his name were the ones saying no one would vote for a guy named Barack Hussein Obama.

No, we said that no one would vote for a guy named Buttock Hussein Obama, and so far we have been right about that.

by Anonymousreply 268March 13, 2019 6:02 AM

I hope he makes it to the Debate. He would wipe the floor with Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 269March 13, 2019 2:38 PM

R268 Barack Hussein with his weird name is an heterosexual man with a wife and kids. Buttigeg is a gay man with an unfortunate last name with insert gay sex jokes. Two double strikes.

by Anonymousreply 270March 13, 2019 3:46 PM

Doesn't matter if he's gay, he's a white guy and identity politics will demand a woman, preferably of color, be the VP. Pete might get a shot at a Cabinet appointment if a Dem wins in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 271March 13, 2019 4:50 PM

R270 also Barack Hussein wasn't a dead ringer for Mr. Bean.

by Anonymousreply 272March 13, 2019 4:52 PM

God, the comments here are getting dumber by the minute.

by Anonymousreply 273March 13, 2019 5:07 PM

"Doesn't matter if he's gay, he's a white guy and identity politics will demand a woman, preferably of color, be the VP. "

Yawn, love the freepers whining about "identity politics" - Clinton chose a safe white man as her running mate.

by Anonymousreply 274March 13, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote] Yawn, love the freepers whining about "identity politics"

The fucking California GOP just used 'identity politics' to help head their state party. They put a Latina as their head and Asian and gay man as chairmen, in an effort to "re-brand" themselves. Screw those hypocritical GOP motherfuckers and whatever they think or say.

by Anonymousreply 275March 13, 2019 5:35 PM

r275, yes, Republicans always reward a few tokens to look less racist

by Anonymousreply 276March 13, 2019 5:40 PM

It ain't going to happen for the California GOP since they are still the party of Trump, and his legacy will stay in voter's mind for a long time. I do however think we need less extremists in the GOP, so eventually the GOP will have to move left in order to survive.

by Anonymousreply 277March 13, 2019 5:44 PM

Stop using the Republican talking point Republicans foist on Democrats...Identity Politics, and start using the Republican talking point that Republicans use for themselves...Block Voters.

Democrats have more blocks.

by Anonymousreply 278March 13, 2019 5:59 PM

If you think Democratic ueber-feminists are not attacking every white guy potentially running R278, you must not be on twitter. They're as bad as the BernieBros.

by Anonymousreply 279March 13, 2019 6:01 PM

"If you think Democratic ueber-feminists are not attacking every white guy potentially running R278, you must not be on twitter."

I am, and you are full of it. I actually know tons of feminists who support Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 280March 13, 2019 6:04 PM

"...the days when gay men were not afraid to be measured..."

I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 281March 13, 2019 9:12 PM

I just received a text saying that Pete has raised $600,000 from over 22,200 donations. That's 85% of the goal required to be invited to the DNC debate! Go Pete!

by Anonymousreply 282March 13, 2019 10:15 PM

I just donated 25.00. Mayor Pete needs to be at the debates. He is amazing. He is a millennial who is concerned about this country and is able to speak coherently and intelligentlly. He's the real deal. And he reads books! Refreshing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283March 14, 2019 12:16 AM

Great. This country is ready for an openly gay president!!

by Anonymousreply 284March 14, 2019 12:21 AM

Beto/Buttigieg 2020

by Anonymousreply 285March 14, 2019 12:24 AM

Beto is a loser.

by Anonymousreply 286March 14, 2019 12:50 AM

It sounds like dancing, doesn't it!

by Anonymousreply 287March 14, 2019 1:11 AM

OK R283 now after watching that bookstore video , I went ahead and ordered his book and that was after donating yesterday so I'm kind of going crazy on him right now. Not a BernieBro but a Bootybro!

by Anonymousreply 288March 14, 2019 2:55 AM

[quote]Beto/Buttigieg 2020

Buttigieg is much more impressive than Beto, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 289March 14, 2019 3:02 AM

His campaign received donations from 22,000 individuals after his town hall appearance

by Anonymousreply 290March 14, 2019 3:32 AM

That's all?

by Anonymousreply 291March 14, 2019 3:39 AM

R289, I completely agree, and I was on some of the original threads about this guy. When was his first public appearance exactly?? I can’t remember exactly what show I first saw him on, but wasn’t it literally just like a month ago, tops? Anyone recall?

But I literally felt that bolt you have when you finally realized you are looking at a mother fucking STAR. The only other time I’ve felt that was when I first heard Obama after he was elected Senator in my state. I just KNEW Obama would be our first black President, he radiated perfection, like Obama spoke our Love Language, he knew what we needed to hear..

So when I first heard Beto, I was confused about him because he did say some of what I want to hear. So I *thought* Beto was it, but he isn’t. Beto made me be willing to fall in love with a politician again, but then Pete made me realize that I don’t have to settle for Beto — there’s something even BETTER out there!!

by Anonymousreply 292March 14, 2019 4:03 AM

R283, Pete isn’t a millennial. He’s in his late 30’s. (You have to be 35, you know, to be President.)

by Anonymousreply 293March 14, 2019 5:04 AM

R290, Pete was over 55,000 donors Wednesday. He needs 65,000 to qualify for the Democratic debates.

by Anonymousreply 294March 14, 2019 7:05 AM

He looks a decade older than he is and his bf is too ugly to be first man.

by Anonymousreply 295March 14, 2019 7:15 AM

Meant husband^

by Anonymousreply 296March 14, 2019 7:17 AM

I want to make out with him.

by Anonymousreply 297March 14, 2019 8:09 AM

The oldest millennials are 38 by most measures, R293, so Pete makes the cutoff.

by Anonymousreply 298March 14, 2019 8:20 AM

OK, he’s close, but probably really a Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 299March 14, 2019 9:48 AM

I don't know if this is an Indiana thing, but he has the snap-on Lego hair of a Mike Pence.

And yes, he's more impressive a candidate than Beto, whose radiance is more Texocentric and who's so far relying more on nice-sounding generalities than addressing actual problems and policies than Pete. Then again Beto hasn't officially declared yet.

by Anonymousreply 300March 14, 2019 11:49 AM

Have either Pete or Beto stated any plans for dealing with Putin?

by Anonymousreply 301March 14, 2019 12:50 PM

I'm still researching but he seems like a good guy. I want people to root for and intelligent presidents.

by Anonymousreply 302March 14, 2019 1:07 PM

Can’t he change his name? Or go by his first and middle name?

by Anonymousreply 303March 14, 2019 1:14 PM

Enough with the name shit, Jesus! Look at his policies and decide based on that, like a mature responsible voter. Just like the deplorables looked past the name Trump, his excremental appearance, his imported prostitution whore third wife, and decided he would be the best candidate to ruin the progressive cause via judicial appointments for the next couple of decades. Learn from them at least in this one instance, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 304March 14, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]Then again Beto hasn't officially declared yet.

Try to keep up, dear.

by Anonymousreply 305March 14, 2019 2:37 PM

[R287] Love The Philadelphia Story :-) I can't remember what she was referring to--Jimmy Stewart's character's hometown, South Bend? Ah, now I see the connection hehe. Seemed like a non-sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 306March 14, 2019 2:48 PM

[quote]Have either Pete or Beto stated any plans for dealing with Putin?

Well, certainly we need to be looking at that. Vladimir Putin is definitely someone we need to deal with. The question, though, is how? In what way should be deal with Putin? Have we considered new solutions? Are their any unanswered questions that we haven’t considered? These are all compelling issues that need to be talked about, and I look forward to continuing the conversation when I’m elected President.

[massive applause from Centrist Democrats]

by Anonymousreply 307March 14, 2019 2:53 PM

At home with the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 14, 2019 3:00 PM

I love people who think he's too "ugly" or his partner is.....have you seen what our current president looks like? At least Pete doesn't bathe in bronzer like Forrest trump

by Anonymousreply 309March 14, 2019 3:38 PM

R309 Republican trolls jack off to Trump's disgusting, fat body every night. Trump sitting on their face is their fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 310March 14, 2019 3:48 PM

They’re adorable at R308. Anyone mocking them is either self-loathing or enormously damaged.

by Anonymousreply 311March 14, 2019 4:22 PM

The people making fun of his looks are the gay male equivalent of straight men who judge women politicians (or just women in general) on how “fuckable” they are.

Very Trumpian. Very deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 312March 14, 2019 4:25 PM

He studied foreign policy as a Rhodes scholar at Oxford. He was good in the Weeds interview from South by Southwest.

by Anonymousreply 313March 14, 2019 4:25 PM

If you don't like his last name, or are a simpleton, just call him Mayor Pete.

by Anonymousreply 314March 14, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote]I just received a text saying that Pete has raised $600,000 from over 22,200 donations. That's 85% of the goal required to be invited to the DNC debate! Go Pete!

I'm confused, I thought he had to receive 65,000 individual donations in order to be invited to the DNC debates. Or is it the total dollar value that matters? Can someone clarify? And, do repeat donations count? I donated $5. I might throw him a few more if it will make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 315March 14, 2019 7:54 PM

He needs 65,000 individual donations. He has reached 85% of that goal.

by Anonymousreply 316March 14, 2019 8:54 PM

So, I'll admit that math isn't my strong suit (thanks, Liberal Arts!), but.... 22,200 / 65,000 = 34.15% How does THAT translate to being 85% of the way to the number of required individual donations. Wouldn't 85% of the way there = 55,250 donations? What am I missing here?

by Anonymousreply 317March 15, 2019 1:02 AM

He needs 65K DONORS.

You are confusing cash with people numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318March 15, 2019 2:05 AM

He describes himself as a millennial mayor though, R299.

by Anonymousreply 319March 15, 2019 2:29 AM

R304 the deplorables LIKED the name trump.

by Anonymousreply 320March 15, 2019 2:48 AM

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 321March 15, 2019 6:16 AM

[quote]He needs 65K DONORS. You are confusing cash with people numbers.

Except I'm not. I understand it's individual donors. But, the post from R282 stated that he'd received over 22,200 donations and was therefor 85% toward the goal of 65,000 donations. Clearly, the 22,200 number wasn't accurate or was representative of something else.

Anyway, moving on, it's AWESOME that he's this close. I really think it will only take one more effective media appearance to get him over the line. Go, Mayor Pete, go!

by Anonymousreply 322March 15, 2019 7:26 AM

[quote]OK, he’s close, but probably really a Gen X.

1982? No, he's a millennial R299. There's no, "probably really" there. It's okay to be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 323March 15, 2019 8:20 AM

R315/R317/R322, you're fixating on post R282, but did you read R294? Buttigieg is over 55K donors now, and 55/65 = 85%.

The Democratic National Committee requires presidential candidates to reach 1 percent in three national polls and to have 65,000 individual campaign contributions. There also must be at least 200 donations each in 20 states.

by Anonymousreply 324March 15, 2019 8:49 AM

Pete gets an apology from the Starbucks' billionaire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325March 15, 2019 3:41 PM

I do love how the MSM is attacking Beto but not Pete. They can't attack 1) women 2) blacks 3) Hispanics 4) Chinese and we are now a protected class! 5) rich gay white guys!

by Anonymousreply 326March 15, 2019 4:19 PM

The MSM is attacking Beto because they're figuring out that outside of TX he doesn't have that much to offer besides bromides. Here's an especially pointed take-down.

The time for Democrats to avoid the realities and aim for lofty ideals is over. Make the ideals serve the facts and needs, and most of all, keep the discourse focused on the realities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327March 15, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote]rich gay white guys!

You think being in the military and being mayor of South Bend Indiana makes one RICH?

Begone, troll.

by Anonymousreply 328March 15, 2019 5:16 PM

R327 - Yup. 100% agreed. I'm over the Beto idolizing and of his empty platitudes. It's becoming a cult of personality. I know you could say the same thing about any major campaign -- Bernie for example. But, Bernie at least has specific policy initiatives and platforms.

Any updates on Mayor Pete's campaign? When does he need to meet the 65k donor threshold by?

by Anonymousreply 329March 15, 2019 5:23 PM

Watching Beto's ad just pointed out how empty that sort of thing is, especially after Mayor Pete was so specific and honest during his Town Hall.

by Anonymousreply 330March 15, 2019 5:38 PM

NYT's Annie Karni:

In an unrelated interview just now with me and @katierogers, we asked @PeteButtigieg if he, too, was "born to do this," a la Beto. "I think I was born to make myself useful," he said. "We're all trying to figure out how to do it."

by Anonymousreply 331March 15, 2019 7:19 PM

I feel that Pete is more of an Obama-style candidate than Beto. To be honest, Beto give John Edwards vibes.

by Anonymousreply 332March 15, 2019 8:08 PM

r331 If he were part of the ball culture, he would be in the House of Clapback for sure. Such delicious bitchy shade. Makes me wonder how vicious he gets about people when he's alone with his husband.

And the best part is, those retorts come across as wise!

by Anonymousreply 333March 15, 2019 8:58 PM

R328 Pete's the son of two college professors. Yeah, a poor, underprivileged family.

by Anonymousreply 334March 15, 2019 10:06 PM

r334, still not rich. Nobody said he was poor.

Gad, you're an asshole.

Troll

by Anonymousreply 335March 15, 2019 10:47 PM

R335 Tell that to Elizabeth Warren who grew up in a tincan.

by Anonymousreply 336March 16, 2019 12:18 AM

First misstep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 16, 2019 12:22 AM

R337 how ? Good for him that shit is shit!

by Anonymousreply 338March 16, 2019 12:44 AM

r338 That shit is an integral part of our shared gay culture. However, the headline makes it seem more dramatic than it really is. It's not that he isn't a fan in the sense that he hates the show, but rather that he just hasn't seen that many episodes and then implies that his husband has. He's so fucking gracious, I'm falling for him more and more.

by Anonymousreply 339March 16, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote]I do love how the MSM is attacking Beto but not Pete.

Pete is well-grounded, a reasonable candidate, and has a solid set of accomplishments. Beto is riding a moonbeam to another planet.

by Anonymousreply 340March 16, 2019 1:01 AM

How can you not attack that "I was born for this" bullshit in 2019?

by Anonymousreply 341March 16, 2019 1:08 AM

R339 no it’s not fucking mary!

by Anonymousreply 342March 16, 2019 1:39 AM

r342 Yes it is, fucking Mary!

by Anonymousreply 343March 16, 2019 1:41 AM

He is staying pretty much on script which is good in the "gothca" media of today but cant wait to see him on the stump against others, i.e. debates (so please donate to get him even that far)

by Anonymousreply 344March 16, 2019 1:41 AM

We are confident that if the nation can learn to pronounce O-ba-ma, they can learn to say Booty - gig as well.

by Anonymousreply 345March 16, 2019 1:45 AM

Budah-jedge

by Anonymousreply 346March 16, 2019 1:47 AM

People in Ira Madison's replies are donating left and right, after he said he had done the same, so that's nice.

[quote]I know we have the tendency to nitpick our identities, particularly when wondering what’s gonna knock that morally bankrupt racist out of the White House. The field is crowded and I’m looking forward to hearing Democratic candidates debate.

[quote]Having listened to him speak on issues important to this country, I think @PeteButtigieg deserves the chance to be among everyone else we’ve already decided is a frontrunner. I’ve donated to ensure that happens I hope you will too!

[quote]I don’t know who I’ll ultimately vote for in the primaries, but I do know I don’t want a great candidate out of the running before he’s even started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347March 16, 2019 1:47 AM

r347, EXACTLY!

by Anonymousreply 348March 16, 2019 1:50 AM

Won't Beto and Buttigieg cancel each other out? It seems like a danger to me.

by Anonymousreply 349March 16, 2019 1:53 AM

No, Beto shot his wad last year. Wasted it on Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 350March 16, 2019 2:01 AM

Beto and Buttigieg together would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 351March 16, 2019 2:06 AM

I don't think Pete would play that

by Anonymousreply 352March 16, 2019 2:10 AM

I like them both but that's a bit too much whiteness and maleness for one ticket, especially these days.

by Anonymousreply 353March 16, 2019 2:12 AM

Harris/Buttigieg?

by Anonymousreply 354March 16, 2019 2:14 AM

More like Buttigieg/Harris.

by Anonymousreply 355March 16, 2019 2:16 AM

More like neither!

by Anonymousreply 356March 16, 2019 2:20 AM

Hey, r239, my mother knew early in 1968 that Nixon would win. She said that Americans would never elect as President a man named "Hubert." Names matter.

As for "Barack Hussein Obama," the candidate's charisma overcame the moniker handicap. Charisma will always prevail, if it's in the mix.

Currently, Beto has it.

by Anonymousreply 357March 16, 2019 2:54 AM

"I do love how the MSM is attacking Beto but not Pete. They can't attack 1) women 2) blacks 3) Hispanics 4) Chinese and we are now a protected class! 5) rich gay white guys!"

Except people belonging to all those groups get dumped on all the time. Nice try, troll.

"I like them both but that's a bit too much whiteness and maleness for one ticket, especially these days."

Yeah, because white men can never succeed in the political world! All the Senators and Governors are black women! Oh, wait......

by Anonymousreply 358March 16, 2019 2:55 AM

r357 Sorry, but no. No candidate in the modern era lost because of their name alone. It's a myth ignorant people use because they're unable to grasp the real causes behind the defeat. This is so infantile, we shouldn't waste another word on it. Again, someone named Donald Trump (of the Drumpf lineage) is currently in the White House. Ad acta.

r358 Stop being triggered so easily, brush up on your reading comprehension, and notice the "ticket" part. I have no problem with any of the white guys running, just not on the ticket [italic]together.[/italic] Who the fuck would that motivate to vote, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 359March 16, 2019 3:04 AM

he is CUTE!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 360March 16, 2019 3:06 AM

r359, you sound "triggered" given the nastiness of your post. You think two white guys wouldn't motivate people to vote - I guess Bill Clinton and Al Gore were black women!

by Anonymousreply 361March 16, 2019 3:07 AM

R359 ummmm ,people that actually listen to the message rather cast identity politics agendas onto any given candidate

by Anonymousreply 362March 16, 2019 3:07 AM

r360 Isn't he just? I like him in this photo the most.

r391 It's 2019, not the '90s, sweetheart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363March 16, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote]identity politics agendas

Clocked the racist. That didn't take long.

by Anonymousreply 364March 16, 2019 3:09 AM

"It's 2019, not the '90s, sweetheart."

Most politicians are still white men, sweetheart. Or are you living in some alternate universe where the Senate is made up of only black women?

by Anonymousreply 365March 16, 2019 3:10 AM

R364 fool and troll

by Anonymousreply 366March 16, 2019 3:10 AM

[quote]That shit is an integral part of our shared gay culture.

Do you expect all straight guys to watch football? I'm gay and I have nothing against drag but I have no more interest in watching it than I do football. Are you going to insist that we all be Barbra Streisand or Lady Gaga fans too?

by Anonymousreply 367March 16, 2019 3:15 AM

No, but definitely Judy.

by Anonymousreply 368March 16, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote]That shit is an integral part of our shared gay culture.

It says something that he knows this and didn't lie. I like that.

[quote]This is so infantile, we shouldn't waste another word on it.

Unfortunately there are quite a few people on this thread who have made fun of his name. While Datalounge isn't the world, you can fully expect this to be happening nationwide. You are right, however, I doubt it would sway many people away from voting for him if he were the candidate.

I always thought Trump had a real chance at getting elected. I thought the same for Obama as well. The only issue Peter will have is: while America has said it's okay for a biracial (black) man to be President, I still have a hard time believing that the GOP won't find ways to attack him and play on the homophobic fears of the mid-western state's voters.

And yes, I love that photo at R363!

by Anonymousreply 369March 16, 2019 10:16 AM

He has bad taste in bottoms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370March 16, 2019 10:31 AM

I find Beto off-putting. Messianic comes to mind. He seems addicted to the adrenaline rush of the adulation and roar of the crowd. Like Trump. He’s also very hyper. Like Trump. Which makes it difficult for me to listen to him. And what I have heard has not impressed me. Tell me why you are qualified to be president. Pete can do that and expound on issues that are important to him and also articulate what his first priorities would be as president. He has a calm, measured, and reassuring manner that we sorely need after the buffoonish histrionics of Trump. Not unlike Obama. He’s impressive. And if the MSM will give him the same level of attention as Beto then I think more people will start to consider him as a viable and wholly qualified candidate. We need smarts, heart, and a serious approach to solving our problems. He has all of that and more. BTW, I’m female and straight and think it’s time for a president who can bring us together, restore out faith in government, mitigate some of the damage done to our democratic norms, and who just happens to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 371March 16, 2019 11:32 AM

Thumbs up from Eichner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 16, 2019 11:47 AM

[quote]They can't attack 1) women 2) blacks 3) Hispanics 4) Chinese and we are now a protected class! 5) rich gay white guys!

Wow, next level trolling. Why are you conflating wealth with Pete Buttigieg/all gay white men? He is not from a privileged background nor does he have a large amount of wealth; he’s spent his adult life in the military and then in public service. He’s not exactly raking in the cash, so it’s a very weird leap to make.

Buttigieg is not unlike most gay white men, who contrary to the popular image shallow people associate with us, are not all status obsessed and materialistic. Might want ti broaden your horizons a bit, troll.

by Anonymousreply 373March 16, 2019 12:00 PM

Pete goes into the Lion's Den: he will be interviewed by Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 374March 16, 2019 12:30 PM

Beto is an empty suit. Pete is the real thing though.

by Anonymousreply 375March 16, 2019 12:36 PM

Then I guess I will be watching Faux News for the first time in years.

The more I see Mayor Pete, the more I like him. He’s not a lightweight like Beto. And I hate to admit Trump is right about anything, but after I saw Trumps comments about Beto’s excessive hand gestures, I watched video of Beto at some campaign event. Trump’s not kidding. Beto needs to stop that right away. Very easily fixed with a bit of concentration.

Here’s Pete’s response to the NZ shooting. He hits just the right tone in his statement. Sounds like Obama Part II, but I have a feeling he’s tougher. He says growing up gay in the Midwest toughened him up, which makes sense. And he met his 65,000 goal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 16, 2019 1:40 PM

He just got enough signatures to permit him to participate in the first debate. YES!

"Thanks to you, we hit the @TheDemocrats 65,000 donor goal in order to be invited to the first debate. But we are going to need to raise a lot more money to compete."

by Anonymousreply 377March 16, 2019 1:44 PM

I'd totally vote for Pete before Beto.

by Anonymousreply 378March 16, 2019 1:44 PM

There were a lot of comments in his tweet at R376 saying they were impressed by him, and donating. I’m glad to see him getting attention.

Anything is possible. Who thought a governor from Arkansas could do two terms as President?

by Anonymousreply 379March 16, 2019 1:49 PM

MorningJoe was saying that Beto lacks substance.

by Anonymousreply 380March 16, 2019 2:29 PM

r376 No, there needs to be more gesticulation in American politics; it's refreshing and a sign of virility. Just look at how impotent and low-energy Trump looks using those three learned gestures.

I know it was inevitable and some trash talk is unavoidable but I still wish each DL thread about a certain candidate focused more on that person and less on attacking other Dem candidates. You're just going to poison the atmosphere, even before the first debates.

by Anonymousreply 381March 16, 2019 2:53 PM

GREAT post r381 — I think you should just keep posting your thoughts here, and it will organically happen.

I am bombing SM with Pete. He’s gaining momentum, just like I knew he would. He’s the dark horse candidate, I’m telling you, if we have just a little bit of luck, he will EXPLODE as a candidate.

Him being on Chris Wallace is brilliant, Chris is the only actual journalist on that station. If you support Pete, we are at a critical stage where he needs as much exposure as possible, please put him out there on your SM, you can help him take this campaign to the next level.

by Anonymousreply 382March 16, 2019 3:22 PM

Is Billy Eichner very tall or is Pete very short?

by Anonymousreply 383March 16, 2019 3:27 PM

R383 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 384March 16, 2019 3:27 PM

FFS, r220. Stop talking full stop. Your banal generalizations about entire blocks of voters and how they choose a candidate is tired and also full of shit. Straight, female, 68 years old and I would vote for Pete over Beto in a New York minute. Which is also where I happen to live. He’s an out gay man and that gives him the freedom to be authentic and honest with voters because he is being true to himself and thus living an authentic and honest life. Something very few politicians manage to do or can afford to do. So he’s already ahead in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 385March 16, 2019 3:32 PM

R220, r385 is correct, sorry not sorry! You sound ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 386March 16, 2019 3:34 PM

No one voted for a black candidate or Trump either. Until they did and they won. People in general tend to think something that hasn't yet happened is impossible and can never happen.

by Anonymousreply 387March 16, 2019 3:38 PM

Yeah, I think we're a month or so out from there being a realization that Pete represents our best chance of winning and governing.

by Anonymousreply 388March 16, 2019 3:47 PM

R388 he gives me the same chills as Obama did without the "cult of personality' vibe I sometimes got from Barak.

by Anonymousreply 389March 16, 2019 4:06 PM

R389, he reminds me of Jimmy Carter talking at the next table at the Willard College cafeteria back in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 390March 16, 2019 4:13 PM

One good thing about Pete is that he should be able to get a lot of votes in the Midwest. Also, for a gay man, he is very conventional and relatable. Cute but not movie star handsome, married to an average looking guy. He’s not a matinee idol, but he does have substance and he served in the military which is a big plus when running against draft-dodging Trump. He checks all the boxes.

And I can see his husband making a good First Gentleman and being involved with non-controversial issues like veteran’s care or education. He seems relatable too. The kind of guy rednecks would be determined to hate, but they come away liking him.

Bill Clinton would have enjoyed being the first one and I would have enjoyed watching him, but I can totally see this guy stuck in a room with a bunch of politicians’ wives talking about First Lady issues.

They both seem like the type to just knock all the hot air and pretentiousness out of the room with their down-to-earth style. Kind of the anti-Trump and the anti-First Whore.

by Anonymousreply 391March 16, 2019 4:23 PM

R363: Damn! I want him looking just like that to strip me, spank me over his knee, and order me to service him. God yes!

R375: You don't have to watch Fox Nazi News. The Sunday show is the one show they simulcast on the over-the-air Fox stations. Just check your local listings.

by Anonymousreply 392March 16, 2019 4:49 PM

this would basically be a litmus test for the true American psyche as Pete represents most of the values traditionalists cherish , whether they realize that or not, but he is also enough of a visionary to inspire young people. I mean if WE reject all of that , then we get what we deserve and aren't who we think we are!

by Anonymousreply 393March 16, 2019 4:49 PM

Harris/Buttigieg could be the winning ticket.

It would be fun to see him debate Pence.

by Anonymousreply 394March 16, 2019 5:05 PM

Pete could mercilessly attack Trump while he is debating Pence.

by Anonymousreply 395March 16, 2019 5:06 PM

I think it may turn out that Harris is not as prepared as she comes across. Same with Beto. But they can work their way up and we’ll see.

Both are good looking and have a lot of charisma. But after Trump, the next President is going to have to sweep up after the elephants. A low key guy like Pete B. might be able to say the ugly truths without being nasty about it and alienating disillusioned Trumpsters and people that crossed over for Trump, who are looking around for a candidate after the Mueller report comes out.

Read his letter to his community after the NZ massacre. Done masterfully, it says what he needs to say without being bitchy or angry. That’s the tone the next President needs to set. “I hate Trump” feels good now, but for the election and afterwards, a more positive message is going to be necessary because we are going to go through some hell.

Trump is leaving us with ruinous debt and somebody nice is going to have to give out the draconian cuts to the budget. It better be someone that has some kindness and mercy to him.

by Anonymousreply 396March 16, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote]draconian cuts to the budget

Or return taxes back to the normal level. I mean, what can you cut in the budget, besides ICE and the military, which are both no-brainers?

by Anonymousreply 397March 16, 2019 5:50 PM

Trump is trying to cut social services. That’s a huge chunk if you don’t give a shit what happens to people.

by Anonymousreply 398March 16, 2019 5:57 PM

Buttigieg is better suited to the VP role.

by Anonymousreply 399March 16, 2019 8:12 PM

People said that about Obama too, r399.

by Anonymousreply 400March 16, 2019 9:12 PM

I want his campaign to gain more and more traction. People who didn't know who he was one month ago are slowly starting to talk about him a little. This needs to get bigger.

by Anonymousreply 401March 16, 2019 9:14 PM

Obama happened to be running against a weak primary candidate.

by Anonymousreply 402March 16, 2019 9:14 PM

Are you really comparing Obama's campaign to Pete's r399?

One was a senator, one is a mayor of a city no one has heard of. If Buttigieg was the Senator from Indiana his campaign would be looking completely differently.

by Anonymousreply 403March 16, 2019 9:20 PM

R400*

by Anonymousreply 404March 16, 2019 9:22 PM

And Trump is a slimeball, piece of shit host of a reality TV show with no experience at all, so Buttigieg is already 1,000,000 times more qualified.

by Anonymousreply 405March 16, 2019 9:23 PM

This guy is very compelling. I often have time for Elizabeth Warren, she's always worth a listen, but right now Mayor Pete is stealing the show. Buttigieg and Klobacher are the people getting my attention.

by Anonymousreply 406March 16, 2019 9:22 PM

How come people say “no one has ever heard of South Bend”?

Do people really not know that’s where Notre Dame is?

by Anonymousreply 407March 16, 2019 9:25 PM

The uneducated, low IQ trolls on this thread don't even know what a Notre Dame is, R407. They think it's a cartoon where a hunchback lives.

by Anonymousreply 408March 16, 2019 9:27 PM

You are delusional if you think most people could tell you which city Notre Dame is located in r407.

r408 seems triggered.

by Anonymousreply 409March 16, 2019 9:28 PM

R406 I think E Warren serves better in the Senate or a cabinet position

by Anonymousreply 410March 16, 2019 9:30 PM

R409, not at all. But maybe you are if you felt that my comment was directed towards you...

by Anonymousreply 411March 16, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote][R406] I think E Warren serves better in the Senate or a cabinet position

E Warren has Cabinet written all over her. She sure as fuck isn’t going to be President.

by Anonymousreply 412March 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Warren/Buttigieg

by Anonymousreply 413March 16, 2019 9:41 PM

Pete wont play that R413

by Anonymousreply 414March 16, 2019 9:46 PM

Why not R414?

by Anonymousreply 415March 16, 2019 10:00 PM

it would kill his future as she would be NUTS in the White House

by Anonymousreply 416March 16, 2019 10:21 PM

Andrew Yang is the freight train no one sees coming. Get onboard or step aside.

by Anonymousreply 417March 16, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote]it would kill his future as she would be NUTS in the White House

Good thing this is only a concern for Democrats!

by Anonymousreply 418March 16, 2019 10:52 PM

Rhea Butcher a bit more forceful on Twitter than others.

[quote]Mayor Pete is ten thousand times more progressive than Beto. It’s too early to be all in on anyone but this guy deserves to be on the debate stage for sure. He needs 65k donations to get there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419March 16, 2019 11:21 PM

I'm 95% sure Biden wins (then picks a female vp) but Imma work like hell to elect Buttigieg anyways

by Anonymousreply 420March 16, 2019 11:50 PM

r420 Exactly my thinking. And intention.

by Anonymousreply 421March 16, 2019 11:54 PM

Smart guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422March 17, 2019 12:10 AM

Is he just going to be referred to as “Mayor Pete”?

by Anonymousreply 423March 17, 2019 12:13 AM

r422 Jesus Christ, that's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 424March 17, 2019 12:13 AM

I had no idea that he can communicate in 7 languages, that is genuinely quite impressive.

"Mayor Pete" was the moniker he used a lot in Indiana r423, it isn't like it is a secret that his last name takes people through a loop.

by Anonymousreply 425March 17, 2019 12:16 AM

[quote]That shit is an integral part of our shared gay culture

I'm as gay as gay can be. And the whole drag thing holds zero interest to me. I'm not a fan of "Drag Race". I do like Ru Paul as a person. I liked her big hit song. But I'm with Pete on this one. "Drag" and "Drag Race" the show have zero impact on my life, not a fan, have no interest in it, and … generally have to even be reminded that these things exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 426March 17, 2019 12:16 AM

Mayor Pete stans: the Trump trolls are overrunning the Beto threads but leaving Mayor Pete alone. I fear they don't consider him to be a threat.

by Anonymousreply 427March 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Two hot mayors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428March 17, 2019 12:30 AM

r426 I understand and that's perfectly fine but it's still a part of gay culture and a uniting and empowering element for many, especially for those gays abroad in less accepting countries who sometimes even have to watch the show in secret. It's always important to be mindful of that aspect and just in general mindful of the fact that there are gays outside of the US.

by Anonymousreply 429March 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Many of the gay guys I know in real life don't watch drag race, the only thing that unites gay guys is our like of dick.

Anyway, it's a pointless aside cause all he said about it was that he has only seen a couple episodes and you would have to ask his husband about it.

by Anonymousreply 430March 17, 2019 12:39 AM

OP, does he still have that goofy name?

by Anonymousreply 431March 17, 2019 2:11 AM

More on the first hurdle:

Seven languages, wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432March 17, 2019 3:13 AM

I love Pete! When is his next town hall?

by Anonymousreply 433March 17, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote] "Mayor Pete" was the moniker he used a lot in Indiana.

So if he becomes President will we call him “President Pete”?

by Anonymousreply 434March 17, 2019 7:40 AM

No, Mr. President. Or the President.

Or just Budah-jedge.

It ain't brain science.

by Anonymousreply 435March 17, 2019 7:54 AM

R429 just because you femmy crossdressers like watching that shit does not mean other gay men do as well!!there are better things to unite gay men that a show about untalented catty drag queens!

by Anonymousreply 436March 17, 2019 8:20 AM

Some - particularly the less-travelled folk - are never going to wrap their heads around his name, are they?

r430 Your personal company is not representative of the society at large. And if you think the like of dick is the only thing that unites us, why are you here on DL? Anyway, I already explained why that headline was overblown and that no one actually has a problem with what he said (certainly not Drag Race fans), so there's no need to keep dredging it up as you just come across like a clingy bottom. Not a good lewk.

by Anonymousreply 437March 17, 2019 11:25 AM

It seems like he went from no one knowing who he is to so many people being intrigued by him and his accomplishments. I’m excited for him. Imagine having a president once again who is intellectually curious and an accomplished scholar? Who speaks seven languages including Arabic and Dari! A vet who has served in Afghanistan. Someone who has respect for the past but is also a visionary and has actual experience governing. Nothing wrong with being mayor of a small town. A person who is able to genuinely connect with people who are hurting, scared, and unsure of the future. A kind, empathetic, and compassionate human being who can bring back respect and dignity to the office of president of the united states. A president we can all be proud of regardless of political affiliation, ideology or tribalism. And happens to be an out gay man. I want to live in that America. I do believe I done drunk the Koolaid.

by Anonymousreply 438March 17, 2019 1:09 PM

ANYONE ON EAST COAST WATCHING MAYOR PETE ON FOX (not Fox News, the regular Fox network channel) RIGHT NOW???

by Anonymousreply 439March 17, 2019 2:08 PM

I’m all for him

by Anonymousreply 440March 17, 2019 2:07 PM

Is he killing it on Fox right now?!

by Anonymousreply 441March 17, 2019 2:08 PM

Yes, R441! I haven't been this hard in a looong time.

by Anonymousreply 442March 17, 2019 2:12 PM

It's crazy how hot AF he gets once he gets talking. That sly CONFIDENCE! That genius! I need him to fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 443March 17, 2019 2:17 PM

What's going on on Fox?

by Anonymousreply 444March 17, 2019 2:29 PM

what's happening?

by Anonymousreply 445March 17, 2019 2:35 PM

Haha I think Chris Wallace was hard too.

- "In 2054, when I'll be the same age as the current President..."

- "I have more political experience than the current President and more executive experience than the current Vice President.."

Man, can he throw shade!

by Anonymousreply 446March 17, 2019 2:46 PM

I think mayor Pete almost broke the Fox network. The online channel was bugging out because of the intense network load. He's going to be a superstar.

by Anonymousreply 447March 17, 2019 2:48 PM

YAY! Petie!

by Anonymousreply 448March 17, 2019 2:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up, r439. I missed the interview with Mayor Pete but started taping the show in hopes it will start from the beginning on DVR. Hope he did well.

by Anonymousreply 449March 17, 2019 2:52 PM

I shot my load listening to him speak this morning.

by Anonymousreply 450March 17, 2019 2:54 PM

Honestly why are we all so fucking hard for him? Lmfao I love this

by Anonymousreply 451March 17, 2019 2:58 PM

Goddamn -- his book is out and the reviews are in: "Best political autobiography since Barack Obama." GodDAMN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452March 17, 2019 3:01 PM

Excerpt from the book, describing his gay love (saccharine, but doesn't shy away from it):

“I felt the slight brushing of his hand coming closer to mine,” he writes, “and I took hold of it. Nothing in my life, from shaking hands with a president to experiencing my first rocket attack, matched the thrill of holding Chasten’s hand for the first time. I was electrified. We got back to the car just as the post-game fireworks began, and as the explosions and lit colors unfolded over us, he went in for a kiss … It only took a few weeks for me to acknowledge the obvious: I was in love.”

by Anonymousreply 453March 17, 2019 3:09 PM

Well, anatomically speaking, I can’t get hard but he’s doing a bang up job of stimulating the area between my ears. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 454March 17, 2019 3:09 PM

Mayor Pete hitting all the right notes. This is how Beto’s campaign was supposed to be going. Damn, reality can be so cruel.

by Anonymousreply 455March 17, 2019 3:13 PM

Is he a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 456March 17, 2019 3:28 PM

Harvard + Oxford First + Thoroughly Decent Human Being. JFC, please do this America, and truly make yourselves great again.

by Anonymousreply 457March 17, 2019 4:02 PM

That is one of the sweetest things I've ever read, R453. Not saccharine at all; it's just an honest recounting of love. It reminds me of the freshness of JFK and Jackie, but the twist is that it's now Pete and Chasten. I can only imagine the happiness of witnessing Pete being sworn...with his *husband* at his side. That day would be enough (for me) to remove the dark cloud of the Trump administration.

by Anonymousreply 458March 17, 2019 4:25 PM

He's 2020's Martin O'Malley.

by Anonymousreply 459March 17, 2019 4:34 PM

Does he even know a soul in DC?

That was Carter's problem, he knew no one.

by Anonymousreply 460March 17, 2019 4:36 PM

R459: How so? O'Malley was the left alternative to Rodham Clinton until Sanders stole his thunder. If anything, O'Rourke is the O'Malley of 2020. Buttigieg is stealing his thunder in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 461March 17, 2019 4:35 PM

If Pete were married to a female spouse (and ideally with a couple of tiny kids) he'd be being called the new JFK right now, with the way he's exploding. Tragedy for our country that the gay thing may stop that.

by Anonymousreply 462March 17, 2019 4:53 PM

R460, trump doesn’t either

by Anonymousreply 463March 17, 2019 4:52 PM

What strikes me is that his partner took his name

by Anonymousreply 464March 17, 2019 4:52 PM

Buttigieg on Fox with Chris Wallace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465March 17, 2019 5:34 PM

Now he claims he speaks 7 languages. Damn, Melania only speaks 5!

So what languages does he speak and how did he learn them? I ask that as a translator myself who had to live in France for 30 years to become fluent. Never, ever met anybody who is fluent in a language without either 1) living in the country of the language before the age of 10 or 2) living 30 years in the country of the language... and most people still aren't fluent even after that.

by Anonymousreply 466March 17, 2019 5:38 PM

I doubt he’s fluent, but probably has conversational skills in several languages.

by Anonymousreply 467March 17, 2019 5:41 PM

Well, he's clearly a fucking genius R466, so that helps.

by Anonymousreply 468March 17, 2019 5:42 PM

My brother speaks 6 and has only lived in Cleveland , Kansas City and Madison and is a Spanish professor. R466.. In fact he only speaks Spanish to his children (he married Peruvian)

by Anonymousreply 469March 17, 2019 5:43 PM

Never liked Obama all that much -- he's calculating and fake, aligned with the establishment. Obviously Pete is extremely ambitious but as far as sincerely governing for the good of all, he's the real deal (as much as one can be).

by Anonymousreply 470March 17, 2019 5:43 PM

Pete will be president in 2020 or 2028. Count on it.

by Anonymousreply 471March 17, 2019 5:50 PM

Pete seems the type that can let us down gently from all this mess, not create whiplash like others are promoting!

by Anonymousreply 472March 17, 2019 5:54 PM

He's a policy wonk. There isn't a major area of government that he hasn't mastered. And because he's run a medium city, he knows how to make deals and get tings done. He ticks all the right boxes. Universal healthcare, increase marginal tax rates, climate change. He also has the gift of explaining complicated issues in a way that stupid people (like the 12-year-olds here who think making fun of someone's name is still funny) can understand.

by Anonymousreply 473March 17, 2019 6:00 PM

I'm very impressed after watching his Fox news interview this morning. It's the first time I've heard him speak. He comes across as smarter and more aware of the issues than even Obama and Hillary.

I'm curious to see how he does at rallies in front of a crowd. He needs to be able to energize people. I guess if Bernie can do it, then so can Pete.

He needs to get a top-notch campaign manager/social media/communications team behind him. If he gets the right team, then he could win this damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 474March 17, 2019 6:02 PM

This link works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475March 17, 2019 6:08 PM

Damn! Wallace trying to put up roadblocks throughout and he aced all of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 476March 17, 2019 6:19 PM

[quote]If Pete were married to a female spouse (and ideally with a couple of tiny kids) he'd be being called the new JFK right now, with the way he's exploding. Tragedy for our country that the gay thing may stop that.

Umm ... JFK had more experience than being a mayor of a medium-sized city.

by Anonymousreply 477March 17, 2019 6:22 PM

R477 South Bend is the 301st largest city in the US!

by Anonymousreply 478March 17, 2019 6:25 PM

He's so smart and articulate and knowledgeable. And his policies are thought out and realistic. Linking Climate Change to Economic Growth = Genius

To be fair, Chris Wallace also did a pretty good job. IMO, this was a great interview to have been aired across the Fox network.

by Anonymousreply 479March 17, 2019 6:32 PM

Of his seven languages he knows English as a native and Maltese as his father's first language; Arabic (which is related to Maltese) and Dari from his time in the military in the ME/Central Asia; and French, Italian, and Spanish presumably from school or picking them up for his studies/work. He claims to be at least conversational in all seven; I suspect there are some he'd need more practice in before he's fluent.

by Anonymousreply 480March 17, 2019 6:32 PM

Didn't he also learn Norwegian?

by Anonymousreply 481March 17, 2019 6:33 PM

Seven languages? Show-off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482March 17, 2019 6:33 PM

I think Chris Wallace asking some tough questions really worked for Mayor Pete, because it enabled him to shine in answering all of them so well. He seems really well prepared, but in a way that the knowledge seems to have come naturally to him and isn't struggled for.

by Anonymousreply 483March 17, 2019 6:34 PM

He learned Norwegian deliberately to read the works of a Norwegian author who hadn't been translated into English.

by Anonymousreply 484March 17, 2019 6:34 PM

R480 oh he's fluent in 'em, no doubt. He launched into conversation with a Norwegian politician, shocking her -- a language he self-taught.

by Anonymousreply 485March 17, 2019 6:41 PM

The Guardian has falled in love quickly. First the gushing review of his book, now an article on his Fox appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486March 17, 2019 6:43 PM

"A vet who has served in Afghanistan."

Wait, you mean he didn't have bone spurs?!

by Anonymousreply 487March 17, 2019 7:14 PM

This is a man who disproves all the crap of those who supported a ban on gays in the military.

FUCK THEM.

And thank you for you service, Pete.

We fought hard for you to serve.

by Anonymousreply 488March 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Naval Intelligence to boot, r487. The Intel community would LOVE him after dealing with the subversive and traitorous Clown Prince.

by Anonymousreply 489March 17, 2019 7:24 PM

Yes, r489, I can see him as the Democrat who wrangles a lot of impressive military-related endorsements from the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 490March 17, 2019 7:32 PM

I can’t see the Republicans loving him, r490. Or endorsing him. Unless it were someone like McCain but he’s dayd. Although, someone should really remind the Idiota in Chief of that fact. Were you thinking along the lines of several of “his generals” who were booted out for knowing too much? About Jared and his shady relationships with some of the worst hombres in the world? You might be right.

by Anonymousreply 491March 17, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]The Guardian has falled in love quickly.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 492March 17, 2019 7:47 PM

Yes, r491. I'm suggesting that famous military figures, particularly high-ranking officers, are a distinct group in politics when compared to the general population. The unique moment when men like Mattis, McRaven, and McMaster oppose Trump means that Buttigieg can capture their public support in a way that other candidates perhaps cannot.

by Anonymousreply 493March 17, 2019 7:47 PM

Excuse the typo, R492. Mea culpa.

*fallen

by Anonymousreply 494March 17, 2019 7:49 PM

I could definitely see Brennan supporting him, r493. And Comey. But his endorsement might not be such a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 495March 17, 2019 8:01 PM

Damn. I don't think I've ever seen DL fall so hard for someone. I'm fairly new around here was there this much enthusiasm for Obama in 2007?

by Anonymousreply 496March 17, 2019 8:14 PM

It's pretty wild that at the same time, the field will have someone younger than Gen X, and two people older than Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 497March 17, 2019 8:35 PM

R496 it’s delusion

by Anonymousreply 498March 17, 2019 9:00 PM

We need hope, r496. I was all in for Hillary in 2008. Couldn’t stand Obama. The zeal for him among the young seemed cultish, almost messianic. I didn’t know jack about him and didn’t really care to learn more. I thought Hillary was qualified and would make a great president. The fact that she was a woman really wasn’t a factor in my thinking. I was devastated and angry when she lost the nomination. I didn’t vote for him. I’m not proud that I didn’t vote in that election. 2016 was different. Something changed in my perception of her as a candidate and as a person. Then Bernie threw his hat in the ring and for the first time in my lifetime a politician identified as a Democratic Socialist. Hallelujah. So I voted for my man in the primary. And, yes, I held my nose and voted for her in the general. But something about this seems different. Apart from the fact that he is out and gay. I want to hear more from him and will wait for the other shoe to drop. I’m guessing that there are plenty of people out there who are trying to dig up the dirt right this minute. Funny thing is, I don’t think they will find much. If anything. And that gives me HOPE.

by Anonymousreply 499March 17, 2019 9:05 PM

R499, if you didn't have to hold your nose for a sexist, casually racist fraud like Bernie, but DID have to hold your nose for Hillary... you're a fucking moron. What the FUCK is wrong with you?

Bernie Sanders is an intellectually dishonest empty suit, a fraud that promises shit he has no clue how to deliver (as exposed in his disastrous NYDN interview back in 2016), a childish egotistical sore loser, who has accomplished exactly nothing in his 30+ years, and has TONS of problematic votes and statements … baggage that would have taken anyone else down.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was provably the most truthful, trustworthy, transparent, qualified, experienced, hard-working, knowledgeable, and capable candidate to run for President in our lifetimes.

Seriously, what the ever-loving FUCK is wrong with you?

I will NEVER understand Bernie-love or Hillary-hate... it must just be rooted in willful ignorance, sexism, and racism. Nothing else makes any sense at all. He's a fucking LOSER. She would have made an utterly fantastic President we could have all been proud of.

by Anonymousreply 500March 17, 2019 9:11 PM

He’s so nerdy cute.

by Anonymousreply 501March 17, 2019 9:13 PM

Amen, R500. It's derpy logic.

by Anonymousreply 502March 17, 2019 9:17 PM

Anybody see the pics of Bernie after he ran into the shower door... or got into a fistfight with the Frau is more probable. He's so damn old. He's not gonna last till 2020.

by Anonymousreply 503March 17, 2019 9:21 PM

Here’s the thing, r500. I have changed my mind about Bernie too. Live and learn. Bernie has one position. Income inequality is the root of all evil. And he’s right. But the problems that we face are more complicated and can’t be fixed by a guaranteed income and free college. In his own way he would be as polarizing and divisive as Trump. Just in a different way. He doesn’t like to listen either. So, you jumped the gun by attacking me. But you do you. And quite frankly, the Bernie Bros thing was mostly the russians and their paid trolls who would come into sites like this to start shit. You seem like you’d know a thing or two about that. I voted for her. But that is never enough for you zealots. And that is why you never have anything constructive to add to the conversation. Too busy rehashing the past. You are tedious, son. Very tedious.

by Anonymousreply 504March 17, 2019 9:26 PM

R496, it's not just here. In fact, here is quite measured compared to the hundreds of comments you see about Buttigieg under articles or videos about him. For examples, see the comments under the WaPo article about the CNN Townhall, or under the video linked (Pod Save America on YT). The word I think I'm seeing most often is "impressive".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505March 17, 2019 9:41 PM

R504 r499, The only reason to hold your nose to vote for Hillary is if you stupidly bought into the years of lies about her from the Republican propaganda machine.

by Anonymousreply 506March 17, 2019 9:44 PM

I was impressed that his sexuality didn't come up once in the Chris Wallace interview on Fox. The majority of viewers have no idea that he's gay, which is the way it should be, because it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 507March 17, 2019 9:54 PM

He moves better than he looks. He moves real suave actually. He has a good voice too. Thanks for the links upthread. I hadn't seen him in action until then.

by Anonymousreply 508March 17, 2019 10:32 PM

Exactly, R506, but I think he willfully missed that point.

by Anonymousreply 509March 17, 2019 11:34 PM

Eaxacrly why Pete should run, shove all of those old fogies into a shallow grave

by Anonymousreply 510March 18, 2019 2:19 AM

I wasn't terribly impressed when I heard he was going to run for President, but after seeing the town hall, and the Faux News interview I have absolutely changed my mind. It has been a long time since I felt this excited about a new candidate.

He's charming, and self effacing. He did a great job answering the questions about lack of experience and his age. He comes across as honest and intelligent. Add in the military service, and the general air of confidence with out arrogance that he gives off, and I think he might be the most surprising and exciting candidates in this round of primaries.

President Pete 2020!

by Anonymousreply 511March 18, 2019 2:36 AM

He may not be the first gay President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512March 18, 2019 3:36 AM

Well, no, it's widely known that James "The Bachelor President" Buchanan was gay. But he was also a terrible President.

He'd be the first GOOD President if elected.

Which he won't be, because FOX News/Brietbart/Trumpism/GOP, but hey, it's good to dream.

by Anonymousreply 513March 18, 2019 3:48 AM

* He needs more (state-level) experience first (according to the doubters and those unfamiliar with Pete)...

* But his name (for the knuckle-dragging comedians and the socially-flawed bullies)...

* But his looks (according to the jealous and the blind)...

* But his spouse (according to the bigots and the self-conscious)...

* But all the other Democratic candidates (according to the stans and the disruptors)...

So many excuses are being offered as to why Pete can't win. But the huge key is his eloquence. He is more well-spoken and knowledgeable (save maybe for Biden) than any other candidate. Plus, he is more likeable and more believable than Biden, his toughest competition, in my opinion.

And ultimately, if he's elected as the Democratic nominee, he'll be running against Trump, the most illiterate, inexperienced, crude, scandal-ridden, unliked, and corrupt President in modern history. The choice between the two is a no-brainer for those with a brain.

And if he loses, it's still a win-win. He's only 37, so his star power will only increase exponentially after this election and he'll collect followers like a snowball in an avalanche.

Trump should be very afraid. If he isn't yet, he will be.

by Anonymousreply 514March 18, 2019 5:24 AM

Uncle Joe and Mayor Pete.

by Anonymousreply 515March 18, 2019 5:27 AM

He gets my vote for sure.

by Anonymousreply 516March 18, 2019 6:00 AM

I LOVE him. I've donated twice. But, I still think the most likely best case scenario from this would be a Veep nomination. And, man, if they did a VP debate, can you imagine? Indiana's best (Pete) and worst (Miss Mikey Pence) debating?? I would pay to see that.

by Anonymousreply 517March 18, 2019 7:33 AM

Is he a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 518March 18, 2019 7:41 AM

Waiting for my Mayor Pete shirt...

by Anonymousreply 519March 18, 2019 8:40 AM

[quote]And if he loses, it's still a win-win.

Not for the country.

by Anonymousreply 520March 18, 2019 12:08 PM

Why doesn't he try to be straight and cure his homosexuality? Maybe he should start praying harder.

by Anonymousreply 521March 18, 2019 2:14 PM

Is our gay Pete the toughest guy up for the nomination (on either side)?

by Anonymousreply 522March 18, 2019 2:18 PM

He makes me think of Mr Bean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523March 18, 2019 2:53 PM

A brilliant war vet who is also gay?

Those DC politicians will never know what hit them.

GO PETE!

by Anonymousreply 524March 18, 2019 4:18 PM

Yay, go PETE!

by Anonymousreply 525March 18, 2019 4:19 PM

Pete is the way to go!

by Anonymousreply 526March 18, 2019 4:44 PM

I think most people posting here "love" this guy BECAUSE he is gay (and can string two sentences together without lisping) and then keep typing that "it shouldn't matter." But it DOES. It DOES. Because it validates us as leaders on the world stage, as equals, as intelligent players out there. The first gay president will be a HUGE deal.

by Anonymousreply 527March 18, 2019 4:51 PM

What nationality is the name "Buttliegeg"?

by Anonymousreply 528March 18, 2019 4:55 PM

I don't know, but Buttigieg is Maltese

by Anonymousreply 529March 18, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]I think most people posting here "love" this guy BECAUSE he is gay (and can string two sentences together without lisping)

let me count the ways

1. he's smart and articulate and multilingual

2. he's a vet

3. he's competent at his present job

4. he's gay and that's okay to him, no squirrelly reactions like with other gay politicians

ALL of those things add up, but the first one is the most important.

by Anonymousreply 530March 18, 2019 5:01 PM

He's also a Rhode's Scholar, he plays the piano, he speaks 7 languages. At least four fluently.

He knows what it is to be a persecuted minority.

He is the best of us.

He is what I fought for over the past 50 years.

GO PETE!

by Anonymousreply 531March 18, 2019 5:15 PM

YAY!!

by Anonymousreply 532March 18, 2019 5:59 PM

No threads about the very heterosexual Corey Booker “dating” Rosario Dawson? They’re in love after only two months of knowing each other. Imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 533March 18, 2019 11:21 PM

R533, you must have missed this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534March 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Bottom or top?

by Anonymousreply 535March 19, 2019 12:06 AM

I think a top, because I can’t envision the Missus getting hard unless being boned by Mayor Pete.

by Anonymousreply 536March 19, 2019 12:19 AM

R533, that’s because petey is better

by Anonymousreply 537March 19, 2019 12:30 AM

I want him to divorce the bottom hubs. With his new found fame he can get a hotter bottom with dreams of being first lady.

by Anonymousreply 538March 19, 2019 6:38 AM

Only a lesbian President will have a First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 539March 19, 2019 7:57 AM

FYI, Mayor Pete is on Morning Joe Wednesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540March 19, 2019 1:23 PM

Well, this is tailor-made for Pete -- there will be a Democratic presidential debate specifically on LGBTQ issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541March 19, 2019 3:23 PM

I was wondering when he would make another appearance on Morning Joe since both Mika and Joe seemed impressed with him and she told him to come back any time. Not that I consider that a ringing endorsement but it does mean he can cut through all the useless chatter on the show to talk about the issues and not be sidetracked by her constant cooing or intimidated by Joe’s snarky questions. I hope Willie and Barnacle are on the show Wednesday, but please gawd, not Donnie the Douche.

by Anonymousreply 542March 19, 2019 3:34 PM

I’m impressed

by Anonymousreply 543March 20, 2019 12:57 AM

r514 said it all. Bravo! Mayor Pete all the way!

by Anonymousreply 544March 20, 2019 1:46 AM

He’s young enough that he’s got a future even if this doesn’t pan out. He’s polling at 1% as of a poll released today, but that’s because no one’s ever heard of him. The longer campaign season this time may help him get name recognition. He’s doing a book tour now so he’s getting airtime on the networks.

by Anonymousreply 545March 20, 2019 1:52 AM

R514 is correct

by Anonymousreply 546March 20, 2019 3:34 AM

[quote]If Pete were married to a female spouse (and ideally with a couple of tiny kids) he'd be being called the new JFK right now, with the way he's exploding. Tragedy for our country that the gay thing may stop that.

Don't be absurd. No one is talking about his being gay - it's not an issue except for people who would never vote for him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 547March 20, 2019 3:38 AM

R541, Will he present hole?

by Anonymousreply 548March 20, 2019 3:51 AM

That's it, demean him as a gay man r548.

This is why we do not deserve a gay president.

by Anonymousreply 549March 20, 2019 6:16 AM

Oh yeah....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550March 20, 2019 8:30 AM

Watching now on MSNBC and he’s really cute! Much better in person than he photographs. Beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 551March 20, 2019 11:33 AM

To the tedious vulgarian at r548. You are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 552March 20, 2019 11:39 AM

He is very articulate and sophisticated enough.

by Anonymousreply 553March 20, 2019 11:43 AM

He looks like he'd have a slender, Asian husband with glasses. You know that type...

by Anonymousreply 554March 20, 2019 11:48 AM

Pete is so much more impressive than any of the other Democrats running right know...IMHO

by Anonymousreply 555March 20, 2019 11:49 AM

He is starting to get repetitive in his rallies. His handler must have a short leash so there are no "gotcha" moments!

by Anonymousreply 556March 20, 2019 1:12 PM

R556 again I am watching the Morning Joe this a.m. and he is going little more extemp. in substance which is refreshing. He has that entire crew mesmerized, as if they are forced to defer to his elevated intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 557March 20, 2019 2:53 PM

thank goodness

by Anonymousreply 558March 20, 2019 5:05 PM

That meme is so perfect, R550.

by Anonymousreply 559March 20, 2019 8:29 PM

Same here

by Anonymousreply 560March 21, 2019 2:21 AM

Has anyone ever seen him twerk? I'm withholding judgement until I see him twerk. He brings a unique set of expectations.

by Anonymousreply 561March 21, 2019 2:32 AM

He looks like a talking puppet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562March 21, 2019 2:37 AM

That's a good point, r562. Now I want to see him wearing a tophat and monocle, for comparison purposes.

by Anonymousreply 563March 21, 2019 2:40 AM

He posted this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564March 21, 2019 2:57 AM

If any of you are interested in volunteering, or working for him, he is looking for staff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565March 21, 2019 2:59 AM

r561, he was at a rally with Harris, they ate watermelon, had a seed spitting contest and then Harris twerked and Pete did Single Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 566March 21, 2019 8:12 AM

R565, I would like to see his staff.

by Anonymousreply 567March 21, 2019 11:38 AM

He looks cute & puppetlike in his still pictures. But in motion he's a panther.

by Anonymousreply 568March 21, 2019 11:46 AM

The Morning Joe panel is praising Mayor Pete to the skies right now on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 569March 21, 2019 12:05 PM

Preface- Big fan of Pete's and rooting for him all the way

However, I am reading the book and his oratory is far superior to his writing. The book gets a C+ to B- for me. I can't put my finger on it but it's not a good read for me although the message is still fine. Also, there is a glaring typo on the inside jacket cover as well

by Anonymousreply 570March 21, 2019 1:35 PM

He strikes me as oddly asexual. Like he's purposely trying to avoid being "too gay" to improve his mass appeal.

I love him. But I want more too.

He's kind of like a straight gay.

by Anonymousreply 571March 21, 2019 1:56 PM

He is SO CUTE

by Anonymousreply 572March 21, 2019 1:59 PM

Esquire did a great interview with him

by Anonymousreply 573March 21, 2019 2:08 PM

R570 re typo: the author doesn't write the inside jacket cover. That's a publisher & proofer error.

by Anonymousreply 574March 21, 2019 2:23 PM

R571 agree, but I think he has really repressed himself most of his life. He's talked about his journey of self-acceptance and he's now 100% all in on gay pride, even saying he's ashamed that he felt ashamed for so long. But no, I don't think he's ever had much sexual experience, except once he met his now-husband. I'm sure their married love life is fine though.

by Anonymousreply 575March 21, 2019 2:26 PM

sweeties

by Anonymousreply 576March 21, 2019 2:49 PM

He looks like Mr. Bean.

by Anonymousreply 577March 21, 2019 2:55 PM

He’d be hotter if he had a hot husband then we would think he had a big dick or was good At sex, but since his husband is an ugly nerd he just seems boring.

by Anonymousreply 578March 21, 2019 3:18 PM

boring can be good

by Anonymousreply 579March 21, 2019 3:20 PM

Getting to know Pete Buttigieg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580March 21, 2019 4:25 PM

I saw a program on the VICE network which said that most men in Norway are bisexual. Did you know this?

by Anonymousreply 581March 21, 2019 4:32 PM

My experience - having lived in Norway twice - is that all Norwegian men are very open and flexible with sex after two drinks.

But what does that have to do with Mayor Pete?

by Anonymousreply 582March 21, 2019 4:41 PM

CNN: Pete Buttigieg is the hottest candidate in the 2020 race right now.

Don't look now, but a(nother) skinny kid with a funny name is turning heads in the presidential race.

In 2008, it was Barack Obama. In 2020, it's Pete Buttigieg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583March 21, 2019 4:50 PM

r571, I never thought if Nixon was too straight.

Reagan the philanderer was, so is mushroom dick.

by Anonymousreply 584March 21, 2019 5:01 PM

squeaky clean

by Anonymousreply 585March 21, 2019 5:40 PM

Mayor Pete can come sit on my rim chair anytime he wants.

by Anonymousreply 586March 21, 2019 6:14 PM

Which would you rather, Pete or Beto?

by Anonymousreply 587March 21, 2019 6:22 PM

R587 porque no los dos?

by Anonymousreply 588March 21, 2019 6:23 PM

Me gusta Pedro.

by Anonymousreply 589March 21, 2019 6:36 PM

I've been having dirty thoughts about Mayor Pete and Eric Swalwell.

by Anonymousreply 590March 21, 2019 6:41 PM

Like R578 would kick him out of bed...

by Anonymousreply 591March 21, 2019 7:57 PM

I don’t think it’s bad at all that his first great romance is his husband. There’s nothing wrong with it, and it cuts down on the blackmail opportunities.

Do you really want a guy who’s running for President to have a bunch of nude selfies or disgruntled former Grindr partners turn up in the middle of an election?

by Anonymousreply 592March 21, 2019 8:55 PM

R592, Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 593March 21, 2019 10:32 PM

why would anyone think it's bad that his husband is his first great romance? Who wants a cump-dump candidate?

by Anonymousreply 594March 21, 2019 11:23 PM

R593, Clinton got away with it because people thought he was just a virile good ol’ boy who couldn’t keep his pants on. People in the South knew a million guys like that. They called Clinton “Bubba” at the time.

If a gay guy did the same he would be branded a slut. That’s a double standard, but you’re talking about a guy that would be the first. Like Obama, you have to be better than perfect if you’re the first, or you’ll get nowhere. May be unfair, but it’s the truth.

The slutty, gorgeous gay President is a few more Presidents down the road. People are still looking for the family man type, straight or gay. Trump broke the mold on that one, that’s probably the only reason Mayor Pete got his foot in the door. He’s the anti-Trump, and his husband is the anti-Melania.

by Anonymousreply 595March 21, 2019 11:33 PM

"I saw a program on the VICE network which said that most men in Norway are bisexual. Did you know this?"

Based on what evidence? I seriously doubt there are significantly more gay or bi people there. I'd wager the % is pretty much the same everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 596March 22, 2019 1:22 AM

Who would you pick as Pete's VP? I might go with Biden. He would need an experienced white guy to balance out the gay and youth.

by Anonymousreply 597March 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Pete: love 'im

by Anonymousreply 598March 22, 2019 1:33 AM

R594 you think it will have a fairytale ending? How naive of you.

by Anonymousreply 599March 22, 2019 1:36 AM

Pete Buttigieg / Michelle Obama 2020. End of.

by Anonymousreply 600March 22, 2019 1:42 AM

What has Pete done as Mayor? Haven't heard any record of his.

by Anonymousreply 601March 22, 2019 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!