Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Midsomer Murders

We haven't had a thread on this cosy detective show in a while.

Anyone got a favourite episode? Or least? I'm re-watching it from the start (perfect for cold, dark evenings). Love the village mysteries.

I find Cully such a boring waster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 11:35 AM

I agree Cully is boring, but I think she was put on the show for eye candy. She resembles Gwyneth Paltrow circa "Sliding Doors" in her styling and haircut in the early seasons. There's one episode where she's at a carnival wearing a revealing dress with no bra. My favorite episode is the one featuring very young and hot Orlando Bloom and DL fave, Tobias Menzies. Orlando shows skin too. Definitely one for the rewatch list.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2019 6:32 PM

Thanks R1 I saw that one, Orlando shows his bum after sex with an older woman then gets stabbed with a pitch fork!

Any others that you remember?

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2019 6:35 PM

Just watching "Strangler's Wood" tonight. Love the village names!

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2019 5:57 PM

Poor Cully! She got replaced by a dog.

My favorite episodes are the ones in which Jason Hughes gets naked.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2019 6:10 PM

Where does Jason get nude?

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2019 10:38 PM

Emily Mortimer, incest, murder, and murder suicide - the pilot prerry much had it all.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2019 1:13 AM

The episode with Honor Blackmon is one of my favorites. Also, any episode with the original Barnaby is great.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2019 1:56 AM

Gwilym Lee can currently be seen as Brian May in Oscar-nominated "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2019 2:08 AM

I like Murder on St. Malley’s Day because I think I’d like to belong to the Pudding Club.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]Anyone got a favourite episode?

My favorites tend to be the ones with actors whose work I've enjoyed in other programs, e.g., Anna Massey, Rosemary Leach, Richard Briers, Judy Parfitt, Phyllis Calvert, Nicholas Farrell, Elizabeth Spriggs, and so on. There's something cozy about seeing so many familiar faces.

Despite that, the episode I think I like best has no guest stars I've ever seen before. I've forgotten the title, but it has the elderly couple devoted to marijuana. I love how Super Sleuth Barnaby is oblivious to the evidence right under his nose - LITERALLY - as he devours their special brownies. It's an all 'round fun episode.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2019 2:32 AM

Whenever I watch the show I can feel my IQ dropping. The show is cosy but it's so infuriatingly predictable. These days my only reason to watch the show is admiring Nick Hendrix in his tight pants. He used to visit my wank fantasies at some point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2019 2:56 AM

Where's the tight pants, ayb?

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2019 3:04 AM

R12, are you accusing me of being that little Nazi cunt? In any case you see his body and tight suit better in the show when he's moving around. I couldn't find any good pictures of it. At least he's packing something unlike his predecessor.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2019 3:09 AM

My PBS channel showed the same dozen episodes for 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2019 3:26 AM

"You've got a right cuntstable there."

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2019 3:30 AM

OP, I'm doing the same! I never watched the series before, so I've about 18 seasons to go!

"Husband doesn't care for wife's cooking" motif was in Hitchcock's "Frenzy," 1972.

Love the "St. Mary Mead" quintessential British scenery.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2019 3:38 AM

Here you go, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2019 3:45 AM

And his cute little butt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2019 3:46 AM

I just discovered that Season 20 is now available for FREE on the IMDB channel. (It says "with ads," but I've watched the first two episodes and there were none.) There doesn't seem to be any way to get the IMDB channel on Roku, but I think it might work through Amazon Prime (Amazon owns IMDB.) I was able to watch it on my Amazon FireTV device.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2020 8:24 PM

The funny thing about this and most British shows is everyone looks "real" and not Hollywood bimbo types. If this was an American show Barnaby would have a 24 year old blonde wife with inflated tits and lips. His wife was a middle-aged matron and looked it. Awful haircut though.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2020 8:33 PM

It's such a lousy, tedious, boring and predictable (as has been noted) show.

And beneath that "cosiness" are messages of how hateful people are, including all the leading characters, how hectoring and controlling all the cunt-wives and cunt-daughters are, how low their interests are, how much the writers hate anyone with a title, money or pretensions to taste, and how soulless they think the countryside of England is.

Of course all the other "realistic" shows since 2000 would have you think that 40% of the English population derives directly from African colonials, that everyone who is Muslim is a murderer, especially of their own families, and that Indians are fools.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote]how much the writers hate anyone with a title, money or pretensions to taste

Bloody England and its class obsessions/hatreds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]His wife was a middle-aged matron and looked it. Awful haircut though.

Not true of the current wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2020 9:24 PM

The current DS has a nice body hiding under those suits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2020 12:01 AM

Divine diva Elaine Paige is in the first episode of Season 20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2020 12:03 AM

I like the newer Barnaby better than the old one. Is that heresy?

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2020 12:19 AM

I'm loving burning through this show during the COVID-19 epidemic. Almost finished with the John Nettles episodes. Loved all the DTs so far, but was surprised that John Hopkins as Dan Scott didn't last very long. Loved the surprise visit of Daniel Casey as Troy for the Cully marriage episode. The show isn't kind to the British upper classes. Also, the gay characters tend to be stereotypes. Maybe that gets better.

I see each episode as a two-hour long show... how was the show presented in the U.K.? Was each episode one hour long with a cliffhanger and conclusion the following episode? And some seasons have many more episodes than others.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2020 4:26 PM

R27 As two hour episodes on the same night

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2020 10:51 PM

When you watch it without ads on Prime/IMDB, it's a little over 90 minutes.

Just finished episode 4 of Season 20, which features [SPOILER ALERT!] the first man-on-man kiss in MSM history!

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2020 12:34 AM

Filming begins on the 22nd series of Midsomer Murders

A spate of bizarre deaths will occur across middle England as filming begins on a new series of the much-loved ITV detective drama Midsomer Murders.

Neil Dudgeon returns to play DCI John Barnaby for his 10th year in the role, Nick Hendrix is back as DS Jamie Winter and Annette Badland resumes her role as pathologist Dr Fleur Perkins. Midsomer Murders is made by Bentley Productions, part of ALL3Media and is the UK’s top-rated drama export.

Also returning to film the 22nd series is Fiona Dolman as Sarah Barnaby followed closely by Paddy the dog as the Barnaby’s faithful canine companion. Guest cast for the first film includes Amanda Abbington (Sherlock), Mark Williams (Father Brown) and Maimie McCoy (Van Der Valk). Further guest casting to be announced.

This series follows Barnaby and Winter as they investigate an urban myth becoming a murderous reality, a post-operative heart rehabilitation club whose members’ dreams of a second chance at life are cut short, a murder mystery weekend, a twisted scarecrow festival and an amateur dramatics company with deadly secrets.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2020 6:18 PM

Season 1 was enough for me. Substandard.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2020 6:20 PM

Ingredients for a MSM epi:

1) a pub and other scenes featuring drinking

2) a festival of some sort

3) some scenes filmed from above with a drone

4) menacing machinery of some sort

5) heavy reliance on mobile phones, esp. tracking and call lists

6) unhappy marriages in every episode

7) bone casting (as in, throw a one to) every B and C list Brit character actor & actress

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2020 6:46 PM

Sorry that we never got to see Gwilym Lee shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2020 9:26 PM

i prefered the second to last sergent rather than current one

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2020 9:59 AM

I think it would be a comedic device if little Paddy became an inveterate leg humper on the show.

Especially since Dr. Perkins keeps wanting to cut his bollocks off!

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2020 10:46 AM

My friend loves it, always talks about it and shows me scenes from it, I just never got into it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 11:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!