Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Upstairs neighbors stomping

live in an older apartment building and my neighbor(s) a gay couple. upstairs tread very heavily when walking on their floor, and this causes my ceiling and even floor to vibrate. Listening to music doesn't drown the thumps, and earplugs haven't helped either. It feels like small earthquakes all the time, from when I come home from work to 2am and sometimes even later.

I've never met them, and I've already asked the property manager to kindly ask them to be more mindful, but nothing has changed in over a week. The thumps started months ago, so I guess it's a new neighbor who perhaps ate a fridge, because I haven't had this problem before. Knocking into the ceiling with a broomstick hasn't helped.

I left then a note, and they shoved a note under my door, saying, yes, we are doing it intentionally, because we are aroused by the sound of our stomping.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2019 2:25 AM

If they won’t cooperate and are being smart asses, keep letting your office know and call the cops.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2019 5:37 PM

[quote]I left then a note, and they shoved a note under my door, saying, yes, we are doing it intentionally, because we are aroused by the sound of our stomping.

Give this to your landlord. They are obviously ass holes and potentially violating something in the lease about interfering with others' rights to quiet enjoyment (look at your lease for this). How old are they?

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2019 5:47 PM

The landlord should do an inspection and make sure a certain percentage of their floors are covered. I've been in similar situations and it's pure hell hearing someone stomping over your head. I honestly don't know why people have to walk so heavy or fucking walk around in shoes. Obviously they were raised by trash.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2019 5:54 PM

This reminds me ... what ever happened to "The Apartment from Hell" posted here with that insane screeching noise and hammering noise? I'd take footsteps over that dying seal noise in my vents, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2019 6:01 PM

On the other hand, I lived upstairs from a crazed coupe who went nuts when I walked through my place. I put down extra carpets, invited them up to see them. Nope. They accused me of having a goat , I kid you not- I had a cat. They would scream curses up th air shaft. Finally they moved. Whew.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2019 6:06 PM

I know this won't help you, OP, but I once had an upstairs neighbour who made loud banging noises for about an hour in the morning and an hour late at night. I did my homework very carefully and was sure it was her and not any other neighbour. (You'll be surprised at how sounds that seem to come from upstairs actually come from somewhere else.) She was adamant that it wasn't her. I took the matter to the strata council but nothing much happened because, guess what, she was a member.

It was several months of hell.

And then she got on her motorcycle, was hit by an SUV, thrown to a lamppost, and killed instantly.

I won't say I'm glad she's dead, but I don't miss her.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2019 6:14 PM

lmao

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2019 6:23 PM

You can always sleep with white noise on, to cancel some of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2019 6:37 PM

r8, I learned from my experience with Smashskull Samantha that white noise can be quite effective against continuous droning sounds like road noise or music (but not bass-heavy), but not so much against percussive sounds like stomping.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2019 6:43 PM

I will fucking murder people over shit like this. It was very important I buy a detached home (with quiet neighbours) ASAP, and I did. As opposed to fucking murdering people.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2019 6:49 PM

I agree with you R10 and OP. I had a neighbor to the side of me who complained endlessly about the people above her. I could sorta hear them too, on our shared wall. Guess who was treated like the problem? She was. "You're too sensitive" and "This is what apartments are like" and so on. The complainer is virtually always treated like the problem by most landlords. They even offered to let her out of the lease so they wouldn't have to hear her complain anymore. They wanted the apt to sit vacant (this all happened in the middle of the winter when nobody would've rented it) rather than deal with the issue.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2019 6:52 PM

I'm going through a similar problem - I have rent control in West Hollywood. The nephew of the landlord moved in about 5 years ago and over the last 5 months has dramatically changed his behavior - up til 5:30 am sleeping to 2:30 every day (spoiled persian kid). Is mixed up with a different crowd and doing drugs all night. It's a long story but now addressing with the property manager - he blares music, stomps (i live above him). He has become aggresive and has called me names - so bad as I actually bought pepper spray for my own protection. I'm at the point that this needs to be corrected now or will report to the tenant assoication that a relative/agent is doing activity to force me out of my building - that is an illegal activity.

For you, maybe have a conversation with them. Or worse case move, but in moving by very direct and ask questions about how loud the environment is - most landlords want quite people.

I wish you well....sorry you are going through this. I will we could all be more considerate!!!

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote]he blares music, stomps (i live above him).

If you live above him, how can you hear him stomping?

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote]If you live above him, how can you hear him stomping?

I never would have believed that it's possible, but I have a similar problem with my downstairs neighbor. It's just shitty construction with hollow walls that carries sound in all directions.

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2019 12:31 AM

I've killed a man for less!!

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2019 12:42 AM

I had an upstairs neighbor who was taking flamenco classes. The tap-tap-tap in heels on the parquet floors was driving me crazy, so I spoke with her.

We came to an arrangement that suited both of us. I left for work around 7:30am, she left around 9:30am. She would do all the practice she wanted in those two morning hours after I was up and out. We also negotiated two-hours periods on both Saturdays and Sundays where she could stomp away and I would arrange to be out of the apartment (great time for shopping, errands, or long bike ride).

I'd also let her know when I would be out of town.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2019 12:42 AM

^^Just like a woman to be nice and work out an amicable solution. Dumb frau.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2019 1:08 AM

OP, I feel for you I had a gay couple above me in an apt and the noise was unbearable. To be fair, it wasn't totally their fault, sometimes it's just poor construction so their normal living makes strong sounds and there's not much you can do. I finally moved out and have vowed to never have anyone above me again.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2019 1:24 AM

I would ask your doctor for a prescription of Trazodone. Just 25 mg a night helps me sleep through my partner's snoring, my cat jumping on me and anything else.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2019 1:37 AM

Always rent the top floor.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2019 2:05 AM

R20, read R12 and R14.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2019 6:59 AM

I went upstairs earlier this evening to speak to my neighbor about her stomping. I was exceedingly (in fact, overly) nice about it as I realize it's a touchy subject and didn't want to come off like a jerk. She's a cute young white girl in her 20s and seemed to be understanding and said she would try to do better, but then after I got home, all I've heard the rest of the evening is stomp, stomp, stomp -- so much so that it makes me think she decided to amp it up to be more annoying as a pushback to my having said something to her. I hesitate to go back up, though, because I know the next time I would be a lot less nice about it. (Full disclosure: I'm a 53-year-old black male and the last thing I'd want to do is give her cause to say I made her feel "threatened" in any way.) If this continues, however, I may have no choice but to go back up again and tell her to knock it the fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2019 2:12 AM

I lived with a friend for a while in a well-constructed building on the top floor. The neighbor downstairs complained frequently about us being deliberately loud. We weren't. She complained to the landlord that we turned the TV way up, but we almost never even turned it on. She complained we had loud parties. Nope. He was always calling us and telling us to be "more considerate" and we always told him none of it was true.

Finally, she had a huge fit over the phone and told the landlord we were screaming and yelling and jumping up and down, maybe fighting. Turns out my friend (who took the call) was hundreds of miles away and I was about 30 miles away at a family dinner. He was in the building at the time and let himself in to the apartment to verify that it was true. He knew our cars and verified they weren't there, so he knew the woman was lying. He confronted her (because she was a pain in the ass in general) and told her he wouldn't listen to any more complaints and that if she kept it up she would be evicted. We never confronted her, but after that we didn't bother to be nice or particularly quiet.

Turns out she was a grade school teacher. The property manager seemed to think she just didn't like the homos. Since the property manager was a homo too, that was the end of the problem. Well, the end of OUR problem, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2019 2:38 AM

I rented in a 2 story 1950s and the guy above me must’ve been on uppers. He looked like a clean cut thirties tech guy with plaid shirt. Always pacing and dropping things, never stood still til 2 am then I passed out. I’m now on the top floor.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2019 2:47 AM

That was terrible, R23. How long did you live there? Good thing your landlord was able to confirm that she was a liar.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2019 2:52 AM

^and I hope her lease was never renewed!

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2019 2:57 AM

I'll take stomping over loud latino music any fucking day

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2019 2:57 AM

I lived there for a year, r25. My friend lived there a few months before I moved in, so he was there longer.

I liked the complex a lot. There were a lot of gay men there because the property manager was gay and also a barfly so when he had a vacancy he just spread the word and rarely had an apartment vacant for more than a few days. But … oh, the drama! It was Peyton Place. Couples were always breaking up or forming or threesomes happening and no one seemed able or willing to keep any of it secret. The guys across from us were the worst. It was a well-built building so sound didn't carry much, but arguing on the balcony doesn't help that. "You hateful bastard! You KNEW he was a slut and you never should have been alone with him, I don't care how drunk you were!"

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2019 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!