Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do your pets go to bed at the same time as you do?

As soon as I go to bed my cat comes running and curls up beside me. He usually tries to take my pillow.

by Anonymousreply 226April 14, 2019 3:19 AM

If I don't go to bed on schedule my cat gets all yowly and tries to herd me there. Once in he plops on my chest and stretches sideways across me. Since I'm usually in bed by 11 PM this works, but if I stay up later he yowls and jumps atop high furniture and unsafe ledges for attention.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2019 4:38 AM

Yup. It's adorable and also annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2019 4:44 AM

Yes. When our dog thinks it's time for all of us to go to bed he'll come to the den sit in front of TV and, occasionally, whine. After a few minutes, he'll give up, lie on the floor of the den but the moment one of us goes to brush the teeth, he'll go to the bedroom and wait for us to go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2019 4:46 AM

No they go to bed before me and get mad if I wake them up when I get into bed.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2019 4:50 AM

When my dog thinks I should go to bed she'll come in and sit and stare at me. If I don't move, she'll get up and go into the bedroom and then come back out and stare at me again.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2019 4:52 AM

I have four cats who can't wait for me to lay down and they don't care where it is, be it bed or big comfy couch. They take turns laying directly on me with their face as close to mine as possible. The other three surround my body and fall asleep hugging me. I saved them from being abandoned in the huge apartment complex I lived in before moving into a two story 3 bedroom house.

Tonight with all the snow outside they are keeping me extra warm. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2019 5:00 AM

A few years ago, one of my cats developed his own bedtime routine to complement mine. First, he sat on his scratcher, facing the door, waiting for me to enter the bedroom.

Then, he moved to the foot of the bed and sat there while I did my usual check to make sure the electric blanket, clock radio and alarm clock were set. As I pointed at each one, I said, "That's set, and that's set, and that's set, and WE'RE set." Just as I said "WE'RE," he jumped onto the bed.

He's old now and doesn't do that anymore. Now, he just hobbles up his pet stairs and sits on the bed to wait for me. Oh, and he also checks his dry food to be sure there's enough to last until morning.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2019 5:14 AM

I love you r6 wish there were more people like you. My cat goes to sleep at the same time as me. She gets up super early wacthes birds and comes back to sleep. I like to sleep in and so does she.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2019 5:37 AM

That was cute AF, r7.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2019 5:39 AM

I don't know how he knows, but on the weekends, my cat gets undercover and lays on my chest to sleep. He knows he has a good hour or two before I would normally get up. I've never had a cat before, but I am team orange boy from now on.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2019 5:49 AM

My old boy doesn't do much but sit on the couch where we have his bed and a hot pad, and he will start howling during the night if he thinks we've slept too long. He never did sleep in the bedroom with us, though. He's not a snuggler. Stereotypical aloof cat.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2019 6:12 AM

My dog will go upstairs on his own when wants to go to bed, usually the same time each night.

Of course if a wrapper comes off something he flies down the stairs like the house is on fire.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2019 6:17 AM

I have 3 cats (one was my late father's), and despite my irregular schedule, they do go to sleep the same time I do. In the summer, they're around the house, in the winter, I have a blanket of cats. I am so lucky that they are diurnal.

However when my cat sitter stays over, two of them will wake up super early and start sounding the halls.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2019 6:20 AM

Lol R12 my dog does the exact same thing! Also if he hears you in the kitchen he will run in there.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2019 6:21 AM

I don't currently have any pets.but you all are going to make me change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2019 6:32 AM

These stories are adorable. I know two people who don't let their animals sleep with them, which I find somewhat disturbing. Wintertime is my favorite because we all keep each other more than just physically warm.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2019 6:44 AM

I love all the pet owners in this thread šŸ’—

R12, my dog does the same thing!!!

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2019 8:10 AM

If the weather is good my cat goes out, if the weather is bad, he comes to bed.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2019 8:32 AM

Before central heating people relied on animals for extra heat. I stayed in a place in Germany built in the 13th or 14th century, and the bedrooms were built directly above the horse stables. The horses gave off so much heat, the people above them were toasty warm. (I can only imagine how it smelled, but that's a different issue).

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2019 8:35 AM

R15 Go get something straight away. It is one of THE MOST REWARDING things in life. We all only have so much time on earth. Make the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2019 8:46 AM

Pets donā€™t belong in their owners beds or on any other piece of furniture. Unless you want your furniture to smell like dog or like cats. Clean or unclean pets have unpleasant odors.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2019 8:57 AM

Sometimes, our dog (a tiny Yorkshire Terrier) goes to bed on his own, waiting for us. Sometimes he goes to sleep in his den early so that I have to carry him to our bed (and he definitely wants to be carried then). Sometimes he waits for us in the study or living room and joins us when we go to bed. Anyway, as soon as I'm in bed and have positioned myself for sleep, he usually lies down back to back with me, warming my neck and shoulders. Over the night, he tends to snuggle himself even closer to me. It's the best feeling ever!

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2019 9:01 AM

I am so missing my special kitty! I am a left sided sleeper, and he was always melded to me when we reclined or slept. When I was working at home he kept guard under my office chair, but was always ready when I needed a break.

I was so fortunate to have such an affectionate easy going big guy! I am missing him terribly right now since I lost him last month.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2019 9:22 AM

R11, Not all cats are aloof. I'd lie on my comfy couch to watch TV and my cat would be wrapped across my neck. In bed, he couldn't get any closer either.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2019 9:31 AM

R12, R14, Your cat and dog have their humans very well-trained.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2019 9:33 AM

R23, so sorry you lost your baby.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2019 9:35 AM

Threads like this make me glad there's no limit on WWs.

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2019 9:36 AM

All of my pets would. I only have a betta fish right now and even he does. His tank is on a nightstand and he chooses a particular leaf bed that's as close as he can get to where I sleep. Any time I get up, he sleepily drops from his 'bed' and tries to follow as far as he can and then gets back in his bed when I do. If anyone tries to pet sit or gets near, he flares and hides and will not eat for them. If he goes too many hours without seeing me, he has separation anxiety and bites his fins.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2019 9:45 AM

My cat sleeps comes to bed with us. He has to have all 4 paws touching me and sleeps by my legs, usually hugging one of my calves.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2019 12:42 PM

R21's pussy stinks, and I'm not talking about her pets.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2019 1:24 PM

R21's mind stinks, too. I FFed him.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2019 1:25 PM

R5, mine do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2019 1:30 PM

I have Velcro kitties who supervise every step of my going to bed routine. They vary their routine and sometimes go to sleep with me or sleep in their little hammock beds which they love but they generally settle in for the night when I do.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2019 1:59 PM

My cat lets me know when it's nearing time for bed. He paws me (I'm usually on the computer) to get my attention, then will jump up on my desk and lay down. When I finally go to bed, he runs around the house sounding the halls, and then jumps into bed with me and goes to the space between my thighs and ankles and sits down in a warm coccoon. He will stay there until morning when he gets on my chest and plops down, staring at me until I give in.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2019 2:15 PM

My cat is paranoid. When I'm standing upright and wearing clothes, he thinks I might take him to the vet, so he won't come near me and runs away when I try to pet him. If I'm lying down on the couch while dressed, he feels semi-safe and will curl up at my feet but take off if I touch him. The only time he feels secure is when I undress and go to bed. Then he'll lie down next to me, take my hand, bury his face in it and go to sleep. When he's feeling extra paranoid, he'll wait till I'm asleep before doing this.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2019 3:17 PM

R28, how adorable!

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2019 3:19 PM

This reminds me of one of the best cats I had, who would occasionally crawl into bed and demand that I sleep with him holding him like a teddy bear under the covers.

r21, clean healthy cats actually have a sweet odor- much like sugar or maple syrup, but you have to bury your nose in their fur.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2019 5:36 PM

Bettas display facial recognition amongst other things. They are actually really sweet and "interactive"for being a fish.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2019 5:38 PM

My kitty has her own bed next to my pillow in bed. Anytime I start napping of when I go to sleep at night, she curls up in her bed and pretty much stays there until I wake up. If I sleep in she wakes me for her breakfast. Same with lunch and dinner. She keeps a schedule and I sometimes don't. She's very sweet and gentle in waking me up for food.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2019 5:48 PM

r23 I lost my kitty too last month. Bedtime was his favourite time. As cats can run very fast from a cold start and do amazing long jumps, he'd beat me to the bedroom when I had a three second headstart. He'd sit on a book on the bed so I couldn't pay attention to it, only for him. He'd sit on one person's chest and get skritched and stroked for 12-18 minutes, then go to the other person as if he hadn't been petted at all. The cat developed a habit of herding and was a vocal, demonstrative sort, so one couldn't expect to silently sit in another room with the door closed to stay up later without disturbing anyone -- the cat would yowl until everyone was in the bed. To his credit he never developed the "hey it's daybreak feed me feed me hey I hear the pre-dawn birds outside my stomach is empty" habit. But he did sit on the person who didn't get out of bed immediately.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2019 5:53 PM

Continued from r40 The bed was his sanctum. We tried putting the senile, arthritic cat on the bed for some minutes of attention but as soon as a human hand was off her he'd push her off. A more accurate statement would be "we went to bed when the cat determined we should be in bed."

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2019 6:03 PM

Interesting how the house cats take on the daily routines of their owners. When I was young, we had cats, but the cats lived outside. I always had the impression that they slept all day and went out at night to hunt.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2019 6:53 PM

I am on my second greyhound. Usually when you get them they are around 2 1/2 years old. Neither one of them (both males) has ever wanted to get on any furniture or my bed. When I head back to the bedroom he will come but he will get in his bed. In the morning he will make some noises but if I don't move he will stay in his bed till I decide to get up. They are l little reserved but they don't bark.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2019 8:14 PM

My little girl cat sleeps with me, curled against my hip all night.

My big fat boy cat sleeps most of the day and stays up all night chasing toys by himself. It's his 'me' time.

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2019 9:56 PM

Iā€™m on my second Jack Russell Terrier. I sleep on a king size bed but my little girl is such a bed pig, she takes over the whole mattress and pushes me to the very edge. I must obey her.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2019 10:09 PM

More pets at bedtime stories, please!

by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2019 10:25 PM

I love winter. In the summer, my dog will start out with me, but will usually head down to the living room or her own bed sometime during the night. But in winter she curls right to my chest. I sleep like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2019 10:27 PM

One our parrots sleeps on our bedroom door. When he decides its time for everybody to go to bed, he announces "Night - Night" in a very loud voice. Then, flies into the our bedroom and lands on the door.

Once on the door, he announces "want some water" which means we need to give him a sip of water before he goes to sleep.

If we don't jump fast enough, he flies out of the bedroom and back into the living room. Then, announces "Night - Night" to whoever will listen.

This routine continues until the water is provided and the lights are turned off

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Mine will sleep with me no matter the time of day. Sometimes I may take a nap, or go to bed early before I go back into work again, etc etc. , and he's always there, ready to plop down with me. I'm weird in that I sleep on top of my comforter with a thin blanket over me. I also have a separate blanket for my dog. But when I go to sleep, he uses his little paws to scratch the blanket as a signal for me to lift it up so he can get under it with me. If I am too tired to do that, he uses his little head to nudge up the blanket to get under it, which is funny cause it always takes him multiple tries to do that. He always curls right up next to me under the covers. Still, before the night is up he usually goes to the other side of the bed under his own blanket. Which I prefer since I am I guess hot blooded by nature so I always fry to death when he's on me at night.

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2019 10:36 PM

My dog usually tucks me in around 10:30. What she doesn't next, I don't know. Her time is her own.

by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2019 10:43 PM

My giant male cat lays down against my chest and stomach with his head on my pillow and wants me to read DL threads to him. Sometimes he can't believe the shit he hears and he'll look up at me like MARY!

by Anonymousreply 51January 20, 2019 10:43 PM

Starting about an hour before 'lights out,' my dog will engage me in the 'relentless stare down,' silently willing me to check my wristwatch (which is her trigger for a multitude of favors: she associates). She wins.

Mornings: she vigorously pushes the side of the bed with a running start to awaken me, five minutes before the morning alarm clock sounds, every effing morning, weekends included. I can't resist her joy upon awakening me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2019 10:54 PM

These are all wonderful stories.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2019 11:07 PM

I adore all of the kitty and dog stories but particularly enjoyed the Beta fish's and parrots' bedtime routines. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2019 11:27 PM

Thank you R36, R38, R54 re: the betta. I enjoy all these stories too. How people treat and bond with their pets says a lot about them, in the best way.

Loved your story, R48. That parrot sounds precious.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2019 11:43 PM

My 2 cats, brother and sister, know my routine late at night. I announce "It's time to go to bed now", and Caesar jumps up on the chair in the computer room and stays there all night. His sister Cleopatra crawls into bed with me and sleeps beside me. Then early in the morning when I feed them - at their demand - Cleopatra stays downstairs while Caesar jumps on the bed and stays with me until I get up again later in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2019 12:02 AM

I live alone with one cat. She pretty much stays near me, especially in bed. She likes to sleep with her head on the other pillow, but she insists we must be face to face. If I turn over, she climbs over to the other side.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2019 12:13 AM

R24, I meant he was stereotypical of aloof cats, not that all cats were aloof.

Most cats I've known have been very affectionate and snuggly and like to at least rub against legs, but there have been a few who were aloof, and they all have the same sort of attitude. I like them anyway, though I know there are a lot of people have really dislike cats if they are aloof and independent.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2019 11:09 AM

My two cats would turn in with me. The older one would always curl up on her side right next to me as I watched TV. She'd stay there until I fell asleep and then she'd get up and move around the house sleeping here and there. Doing a little wandering. A little eating & drinking. But by morning she'd be back in bed sleeping on the pillow next to me. The other cat would sleep on top of the bed but generally move under the bed at some point which is where she'd be when I awoke in the morning. If I didn't wake up with the older one expected me to she sit next to my head and every few moments reach over with a paw to lightly touch my face and make her special "wake up daddy" sounds. Not so much a meow and it was a short little rumble with her throat. As soon as I would wake up she'd get up, move over to the side of the bed and sit there staring back at me as if to say "okay daddy let's get up now and get the day started".

Sweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2019 11:41 AM

Sorta? When I'm futzing around on my computer in my den/study at night, my dogs are usually crashed out on the sofa in the living room. When I make the move to my bedroom, the "Little One" immediately awakens and follows me. He jumps up on my bed & gets comfy, while I brush my teeth & wash my face, etc. Then I get in bed, and call out, "Where's my big girl? Where's my Number One?" (as I adopted her, first) It may take several minutes, but eventually she wanders into the bedroom, jumps up on the bed, and burrows under the comforter, next to me.

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2019 1:09 PM

We have a 10 lb min pin chihuahua mix female. She loves to snuggle and burrow under the bedding. And she is pushy. Although she is perfectly capable of using her snout to lift up the bedding, she will scratch at me until I wake up and lift up the bedding for her. PB (pushy bitch!).

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2019 1:14 PM

No, we go to bed when she wants us to. Help, an unruly bulldog is holding us hostage.

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2019 1:56 PM

my cat Skittles would come to bed with me, lay by my side, put her head on my belly her paw on me. We would both go to sleep like this...

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2019 2:04 PM

My parrot flies to my shoulder and rubs her lower beak and upper beak together that makes a grinding noise and that's her way of saying it's time to sleep now.

by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2019 2:06 PM

Why would you let any animal near your face? I had a cat but it would curl up by my lower legs or feet.

It usually didn't sleep with me, because I built a shelf high up and cats like to sleep high up.

I had a dog, he wasn't allowed on the furniture, so he slept in winter in the hallways because the heating vents would cross and it was warm there on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2019 2:22 PM

You sound like a dull man, R65.

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2019 2:24 PM

Your dog could probably write better sentences than you, r65. Poor thing, getting stuck with you as an owner.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote] I always had the impression that they slept all day and went out at night to hunt.

That's because they do, well actually most cats like to go hunting at dusk and dawn.

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]To his credit he never developed the "hey it's daybreak feed me feed me hey I hear the pre-dawn birds outside my stomach is empty" habit.

I used to work shiftwork, so I figured the best way to ensure my cats didn't wake me up for food was to give them their dinner at bedtime, instead. I'm on a fourth kitty now, two decades later, and "supper" is still her favourite time of day.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2019 6:08 AM

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2019 6:10 AM

I have a folded blanket on the bed that the cat sleeps on. I get into bed at night while she waits on the floor. I cover myself and then unfold her little blanket right next to me. She waits until it's all ready and then jumps up and starts her softening routine which takes about five minutes. Then she lays down and stays there all night. When the alarm goes off I just say, "Time to get up." and she jumps down and starts her day.

That blanket is one of three blankets she has around the house and those are the only places she lays. She's got her spots and she's all set!

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2019 6:21 AM

I had a very big dog. People used to ask if I let him in the bed to sleep with me. I would always respond "No...

...He lets me sleep with him!"

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2019 6:28 AM

Dogs are so bony to sleep with. You have to sleep around them. Cats configure themselves around you, like a puddle of fur. That's such a cute routine, r71.

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2019 12:13 PM

I can't fathom why R65 would have ever wanted pets. Seems he got very little enjoyment out of them, and certainly didn't trust them. Snuggling with my dogs and cats was always one of the greatest joys of my life.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2019 12:18 PM

Historians believe that one reason for the popularity of many small dog breeds is that they worked well as bed-warmers for their owners, like a cute, fluffy hot water bottle.

by Anonymousreply 75January 25, 2019 7:51 AM

We have an Irish terrier - and later on - when she was a few years old - a beagle who was one of her bffs at the local dog park - came to live with us as well. His family - who lived in our street - became our good friends - and still are! But they had to move when their son got older and went to a selective school. They all were away from home a lot more and the poor beagle became very lonely and depressed. Started howling and barking and digging holes. He came to us on a temporary basis - and is still here five years later!

Theyā€™re a great pair - completely different personalities! - and at times I feel like our lives revolve completely around them. Which is not a bad thing!

Anyway - every night is fun and games. Theyā€™re like kids who donā€™t wanna go to bed yet. The beagle hates moving from his comfy spot on the sofa in the living room. But we go through the bedtime ritual - get them to come to the bedroom - let them out for a pee outside and so the terrier can bark at whatever wildlife she hears while doing the deed. Then to their dog beds...

Theoretically the feisty, fit, Irish terrier is pack leader and rules the roost. But never underestimate the ability of a chunky, lazy little beagle to fuck with oneā€™s head. Just recently he decided that he preferred her bigger bed to his smaller one - so if she got up at night to patrol the perimeters or whatever - sheā€™d come back to find him sprawled out on her bed - and as immovable as a bag of cement. Sheā€™d pace around looked confused and not knowi what to do. Her distressed little sounds would wake us up and Weā€™d move him back to his bed - and wake up later to find heā€™d done it again...

What could we do except buy another, big, expensive bed to match hers. No choice - none of us were getting a decent nightā€™s sleep. He still likes hers sometimes - so she just goes to his. And weā€™re now in no doubt as to who calls the shots,

And when ts cold in winter - we become the beagleā€™s human hot water bottles as he arranges our legs around him to suit his needs. He comes across as a complete sad sack who looks like heā€™s always in the midst of some existential crisis- when in fact he has everything running to his agenda, such a con artist! Wicked, wicked dogs!

by Anonymousreply 76January 25, 2019 8:54 AM

Yes, r75, the legend around French bulldogs was that they were to warm the laps of seamstresses in the 1800.

by Anonymousreply 77January 25, 2019 8:14 PM

Origin of Three Dog Night.

by Anonymousreply 78January 26, 2019 4:25 AM

Bumping thread in hopes of more stories!

by Anonymousreply 79January 31, 2019 6:26 AM

They do if I'm horny.

by Anonymousreply 80January 31, 2019 6:45 AM

My cat goes to bed the same time but I give her a 30 minute curtain call when I can. She gets a little silly when the lights dim. I give her a pillow to kangaroo kick and chase her till sheā€™s worn out.

Upon waking she waits for me at the corner of the bed, I have to give her a lift to the kitchen every morning. I throw her over my shoulder and we have a little cuddle on the way to the coffee machine. On the weekends when the alarm doesnā€™t go off I get my hair combed as a wake up call.

by Anonymousreply 81January 31, 2019 7:32 AM

r81 Awwwwwww

by Anonymousreply 82January 31, 2019 10:44 AM

Two of my cats snore when they are deep in sleep on the back of my huge comfy couch. The spend a lot of time looking out the big front window watching the world go past on the street outside. They look and look and shift positions and sometimes even change places for a different view. They groom each other while passing on the back of the couch. Eventually, they settle in and fall asleep and within several minutes I hear these small wheezing sounds wafting down from their places on high. They are usually in the head upside down position, maybe arms outstretched as they splay out. They seem so blissed out that it causes my to head droop and I snuggle even deeper into that amazing couch.

With these snowy, extremely cold nights we have been having, it's like a scene out of a Kinkade tacky painting.

by Anonymousreply 83January 31, 2019 12:53 PM

We have 2 dogs - a Miniature Schnauzer and a Frenchton ( french bulldog, boston terrier mix) and they both like to share the bed. The Frenchton is almost like a cat. He has to sleep touching me and usually around 2 in the morning he gets cold and decides he needs to be under the covers. He burrows in and then turns around so his head is on the pillow next to me. The Schnauzer knows when its bedtime and has been know to head down the hall when he thinks its time for me to go to bed and will keep looking back to make sure I am following him

by Anonymousreply 84January 31, 2019 1:02 PM

I have a new cat!

we are still adjusting to each other's rhythms but he's sort of into bedtime, or not. he usually has started road racing around the house, like something big is going to happen. then when I get into bed he maybe scratches the box springs a bit, then quiets down. he often of late has spent some time in bed with me, but then goes off and chases ghosts, or whatever cats do in the nighttime.

he definitely is there at my side when I wake up though, he knows who feeds him breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 85January 31, 2019 1:12 PM

What do you mean adjust to each other? IT'S A FUCKIN' CAT.

I love animals but IT'S A CAT. This is why Hillary lost, because all you are so screwed up thinking you have to revolve your life around a cat.

by Anonymousreply 86January 31, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote] I love animals but IT'S A CAT. This is why Hillary lost, because all you are so screwed up thinking you have to revolve your life around a cat.

Fluffylovers only vote if they can vote by mail. To leave the house to vote would be an inconvenience to the cat.

by Anonymousreply 87January 31, 2019 1:38 PM

I have been trying to get in bed between 10 and 10:30 during the week. About 5 minutes to 10 I get the "don't you have somewhere to be?" look. He sits right in front of me and just stares. If I ignore him, he sits in front of the TV. OK, Dad. I get it.

Once I'm tucked in bed safely but before I turn the bedstand light off, Cos runs around like a crazy boy. Down off the bed, into the bathroom, then out of the bathroom, into the 2nd bedroom. Then I can turn the light off and he goes to sleep in his cushy cat octagon in the living room

About an hour before the alarm goes off, he comes and lays on the bed by my legs. I can always tell when he's there because I go from being comfortable under the sheets and comforter to sweating due to his body heat. If I don't get up or acknowledge me, he stands with his two front paws on my head.

by Anonymousreply 88January 31, 2019 4:27 PM

My cat (as of yet) does not wake me unless the alarm has gone off, then a playfully pokes me

by Anonymousreply 89January 31, 2019 5:20 PM

R87, this fluffylover voted absentee. To my knowledge, it had nothing to do with owning a fluffy, and my vote went in weeks ahead of the election.

And HIllary's loss is on her as a candidate. If she owned more fluffies, she could have won! Having animals would have required a personality, be affectionate and approachable, things that the more likely cost her the election than America's cat ownership. As Trump proved, competency means less than previously believed in presidential elections.

And, yes, animals and humans adjust to one another.

by Anonymousreply 90January 31, 2019 6:07 PM

Why are you talking to the troll? This was a lovely thread up to now.

by Anonymousreply 91February 1, 2019 2:00 AM

I honestly believe I have a responsibility to ensure my cat's every desire is met. I want her to live a stress-free life and never know anything but happiness. She works so hard every day making me happy and show appreciation for all her special treats, I couldn't imagine treating her any other way. She sleeps when I sleep but she gets up several times during the night for bites of food and takes a pee now and then. The only stress she's ever known is when we travel and I carry her in my arms at the TSA screening area.

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2019 12:24 AM

One of my cats is diabetic and gets shots every 12 hours. After the shot, they all (3) get their favorite treat. I'm a night owl and don't wake up til 11 am. If I'm not up at 5 after 11, all three come in and jump on my bed, walking around and trying to annoy me. As soon as I get up, they fly down the stairs to the refrigerator where the insulin is kept.

At night, they start getting a little agitated after 10:30. By 11 pm, the loudest one (not the diabetic) is meowing at me to get my ass into the kitchen and get that syringe ready. After the shot & the treat, they get their last feeding and all 3 disappear downstairs and get on their cat trees and go to sleep.

(My husband feeds them at 7 am before he goes to work).

by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote] Most cats I've known have been very affectionate and snuggly and like to at least rub against legs, but there have been a few who were aloof, and they all have the same sort of attitude. I like them anyway, though I know there are a lot of people have really dislike cats if they are aloof and independent.

R58, in my experience, people who like aloof, independent cats anyway are also George Sanders fans.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2019 2:44 AM

Why yes! It's quite cozy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 13, 2019 12:51 PM

My cat hates my guts, so on. Kinda wish she did tho...

by Anonymousreply 96February 13, 2019 12:53 PM

My favorite time of day is night

by Anonymousreply 97February 13, 2019 1:03 PM

Very nice stories about your cats but I am surprised not much has been said about your cats purring while they sleep next to you. Probably one of the best things about a cat, that purring is so calming.

by Anonymousreply 98February 13, 2019 4:18 PM

I love your beagle R76! He sounds just like my Cavalier, who's always acted like an old man, even when he was a puppy, with droopy ears and sad-looking eyes that seem to hold the weight of the world. He's the sweetest dog and I am his slave, and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 99February 13, 2019 4:34 PM

My kitty is kind of hip. Some nights she stays up later than I and I can tell she's having a joint on the deck and playing her guitar. She had aspirations in her kittyhood of being discovered as we live in the Hollywood hills. She knows I don't want her smoking al the time, but she's got a mind of her own. Mostly I'm afraid of her setting her fur on fire, but she's good about burying her butts in her litter box on the deck. She cleans herself very well and rarely comes to bed smelling like an ashtray. Thankfully she doesn't drink the hard stuff. A thimble or two of Modelo and she's good for the night. She's quite the chanteuse if I say so myself.

by Anonymousreply 100February 14, 2019 12:06 AM

After my dog sucks me off around 8:30, I usually fall asleep. I don't know what my dog does next.

by Anonymousreply 101February 14, 2019 12:08 AM

For r35:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 14, 2019 1:18 AM

For r35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 14, 2019 1:22 AM

their purring and breathing puts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 104February 14, 2019 1:51 AM

Itā€™s Krazzykrazzy time right before bed, I just donā€™t know how my cat knows in advance, but then after a bit of upset, I settle down and he does too, either with me, or somewhere else in the house

by Anonymousreply 105February 14, 2019 2:03 AM

the soft chewing noises the cats make is also soothing

by Anonymousreply 106February 14, 2019 2:23 AM

For Xmas, I got my cats a heated throw -- small, lightweight, fleece version of an electric blanket ($20 vs. $200-$400). They LOVE it and I can hear them purring out in the hall when I pass the bedroom during the day. At my bedtime, I turn the heat down from high to low so I won't feel over-heated during the night (we do live in Calif, after all), but that's still OK with them and they continue to purr LOUDLY all night. Best $20 I ever spent.

by Anonymousreply 107February 15, 2019 1:35 AM

so crazy how animals covered in fur love heat

by Anonymousreply 108February 15, 2019 1:38 AM

R108, my cats are old and may have arthritis (like me), so warmth is comforting. In the summer, we all like a gentle breeze (not strong enough to ruffle their fur!) from a fan turned on low and I'll probably have to retire the heated throw for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 109February 15, 2019 1:54 AM

r107, can you link your cat blanket? I think my guys would like it.

by Anonymousreply 110February 15, 2019 2:05 AM

My cat doesn't purr, he doesn't sit on my lap, and he doesn't like to be held. (He's kind of a dud.) When I go to my bedroom, he makes this bizarre howling noise in the kitchen. If I go out to see what's going on, he wants me to pet him while he's eating. I only fell for that a few times; now I ignore him. About half an hour after I get in bed, he jumps onto the nearby window sill. And if I didn't raise the blinds and leave the window cracked (even in January), he will be PISSED. After looking out the window for two minutes, he jumps onto my bed and humps my comforter for about 5 minutes. (He's been neutered.) Then he curls up about a foot from my head. But he will get annoyed if I try to pet him.

In the morning, once my alarm goes off he will meow and meow until I get up and feed him. He won't even allow me to stop for a 20-second bathroom stop.

by Anonymousreply 111February 15, 2019 2:13 AM

lol, cranky kitty

by Anonymousreply 112February 15, 2019 2:16 AM

I'm not R107 but this looks cozy and has high ratings!

by Anonymousreply 113February 15, 2019 4:14 AM

R113 Oops here's the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 15, 2019 4:15 AM

Do you masturbate in front of your pets? Real question. May need separate thread.

by Anonymousreply 115February 15, 2019 4:17 AM

[quote] [R23], so sorry you lost your baby.

I'm sorry he lost his pet too.

But a pet is not a baby. It just isn't.

by Anonymousreply 116February 15, 2019 4:20 AM

R76, you have an Irish Terrier?!! LOVE!! My last dog was an IT....and he was greatest dog I ever had!! 12 years later, I still miss him, profoundly. I love the little Heinz 57s I've got now, but if I could get another IT or IT-mix, via adoption, I would. Unfortunately the IT adoption/rescue community seem especially loony.

by Anonymousreply 117February 15, 2019 5:04 AM

R111, have you tried punching him square on the nose? That might fix this "dud" problem.

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2019 5:11 AM

R110, the heated throw I got was on sale at CVS a month or so prior to Xmas, Sunbeam brand per link (which is a little more expensive than the CVS sale price last year). I don't like the automatic 3 hour shutoff, but that's a safety feature that everything seems to have these days (even my coffeepot) -- I'm home most of the time and just turn it back on periodically. Unless your cats are contrary (!), I'm pretty sure they'd approve of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2019 12:25 PM

My parrot has two cages, a big one in the living room and a small sleeping cage in the bedroom. He's free to fly around, so he usually starts nodding off on top of the big cage and when he's ready he flies off to the little sleeping cage, usually about 11pm. Then he insists on coming out and getting his head scratched for a couple minutes when I come to bed. He won't go to sleep for the night until his door is closed and the cage covered with a sheet (he chews a hole in the sheet so he can see me during the night).

In the morning he starts ringing a little bell he has in his cage--quietly at first, but if I'm not up by 8 he's ringing it non-stop until I open his door and let him come out. He then flies over to the curtain rod and looks out the window until I get up.

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2019 12:46 PM

God yes.

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2019 12:47 PM

R118, no. As with all family members, I focus on the things that I like about him. I like playing playing with him (dragging his fishing-pole toys around, chasing him around the house), and I can pet him when he's calm.

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2019 1:20 PM

R120, that's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 123February 15, 2019 1:22 PM

This thread is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2019 2:49 PM

That's fascinating r120. How long have you had your parrot? I have heard that they are very long lived.

And thank for all the heated blanket links r114 and r119. My cats are heat whores.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2019 3:36 PM

When I was 6 years old, my mom let me pick out a parakeet from a bin-o-budgies at a pet store. It was a very smart and friendly bird. When I was sick and lying on the sofa, my mother would lie the bird on my chest, and he would actually lie there for about an hour or so with me. The downside of his friendliness: when my mom opened his cage every morning, he flew directly to the bathroom, clung to the top edge of the medicine chest mirror, and loudly humped his reflection, leaving a mess behind.

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Gosh, I love R120's parrot.

R126's parakeet, well, maybe not so much. Messy mirrors are such a nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2019 5:44 PM

My old girl cat, Mojo, is more inclined to snore squeakily instead of purring when she sleeps. The cutest thing ever!

by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote]That's fascinating [R120]. How long have you had your parrot? I have heard that they are very long lived.

I rescued him 18 years ago. I think he's in his early 20's which is nothing. On the parrot newsgroups birds in their 40's and 50's aren't unusual. It's snowing here today, great big flakes, so he's spent most of the day on the curtain rod watching the snow with great interest.

I don't have a picture of him at the moment, but he's an Orange Winged Amazon. This is what he looks like:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Is it safe to sleep with an outdoor cat? I'm thinking of getting a cat but leaving him to go out and about. Little traffic in this rural area.

by Anonymousreply 130February 15, 2019 9:27 PM

r120- Do you have to clip his wings? Or does he fly about? Does he have any interest to try to escape to the outside? I can't tell from the picture, but how big is yours?

r130- you will have to give flea treatments on a regular basis if you have an indoor/outdoor cat.

by Anonymousreply 131February 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Which is no big deal, r130.

by Anonymousreply 132February 15, 2019 9:56 PM

R129 That's lovely! It's so interesting to hear about their quirks and preferences.

by Anonymousreply 133February 15, 2019 11:51 PM

If I am not in my bedroom by 9:30 or so, my dog will bark and attempt to herd me into the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 134February 15, 2019 11:56 PM

R130, I'm not sure what you mean about being "safe" sleeping with cats who go outdoors. I've never felt unsafe with any cat, but there could be a problem with whatever else might be coming into the house through the petdoor -- primarily raccoons, but also skunks and maybe foxes or even coyotes. None of those are likely to harm an adult human (though a pack of coyotes might be daunting), but skunks obviously could present issues, especially if startled --coons are smart and mischievous, vandals really, with hands -- foxes are like dogs and just looking for food, but cunning because they've had to be.

Also, indoor/outdoor cats like to hunt and bring whatever they catch into the house: birds, bats, lizards, snakes, rodents, etc. All of their prey may not be dead yet and the cat might lose interest if the escaped critter hides under the bed or in the laundry basket, where you get to find it in the morning....

by Anonymousreply 135February 16, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote][R120]- Do you have to clip his wings? Or does he fly about? Does he have any interest to try to escape to the outside? I can't tell from the picture, but how big is yours?

He's an Amazon so he's about the same size as a large pigeon, He can fly just fine. He has the run of the house, and is nimble enough to do a 180 turn in a hallway. He's basically housebroken himself, so he goes back to one of his cages to do his business. He flies from cage to cage, and he loves my shoulder and the top of the flat screen TV (I think he likes how it warms his feet). Jeopardy is his favorite television show. He sits and mimics Alex, especially Alex's little laugh.

Outside freaks him out. He enjoys being outside in his cage, but if I try to leave him alone outside he starts screeching for me as soon as I'm out of sight.

by Anonymousreply 136February 16, 2019 12:53 AM

R136 What an adorable fellow! That's so lovely that he loves Jeopardy and mimics Alex Trebek!

by Anonymousreply 137February 16, 2019 2:39 AM

No, my pets have an active sex life. My early bedtime affords them the privacy they need, and deserve.

by Anonymousreply 138February 16, 2019 2:41 AM

All three cats (2 brothers and their adoptive sister) come upstairs with us, and get their last meal of the day in our bedroom (kibble). The more independent brother hangs in the bedroom until we're finally in bed reading/watching TV and then leaves to begin his nocturnal routine elsewhere in the house. The sister hangs a bit in bed while we read, then leaves to find her sleeping spot on a couch downstairs. The second brother, and our most cuddly boy, sleeps between us until after we turn out the light, and which time he takes a spot on the floor next to the bed.

All three come find us in the morning when the alarm goes off. Pets are the best.

by Anonymousreply 139February 16, 2019 2:52 AM

[R130] Please reconsider -- traffic isn't the only danger an out-and-about cat faces.

by Anonymousreply 140February 16, 2019 3:25 AM

We could use some photos in this thread

by Anonymousreply 141February 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Iā€™m just here for the lovely anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 142February 16, 2019 7:18 PM

Thank you for your answers r136, he sounds like a delightful little guy. You're lucky they are so long lived. I wish dogs and cats lived as long.

by Anonymousreply 143February 16, 2019 8:19 PM

R141, there you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 16, 2019 8:35 PM

I have a parrot. It is very mean and abusive to me verbally. If I do n to go to bed by 10 pm it starts saying stuff like "son of a bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 145February 16, 2019 8:58 PM

R136, your parrot sounds adorable. Do you mist him? Shower? I knew someone who had a hyacinth macaw, and it loved taking a shower with him. He loved being on his shoulder and hogging the spray. He had to make him go up on the shower curtain rod so he could soap up and at least rinse his upper part before the bird flew back down.

by Anonymousreply 146February 16, 2019 9:28 PM

Hyacinth macaw acts like a dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Adorable, r22.

by Anonymousreply 148February 16, 2019 10:07 PM

My parrot šŸ¦œ is a mean abusing pet. Calls me names like ā€œmotherfuckerā€ daily.

by Anonymousreply 149February 16, 2019 10:22 PM

Oh my goodness, r144, who is that delightful little morsel? I'm usually not a fan of small dogs, but he/she is a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 150February 16, 2019 10:49 PM

Jesus christ, the macaw is giant. And to have the fingers in its beak....

by Anonymousreply 151February 16, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote][R136], your parrot sounds adorable. Do you mist him? Shower? I knew someone who had a hyacinth macaw, and it loved taking a shower with him. He loved being on his shoulder and hogging the spray. He had to make him go up on the shower curtain rod so he could soap up and at least rinse his upper part before the bird flew back down.

He doesn't like to get wet in the shower. He insists on showering with me, but he sits on the side of the shower and just sort of enjoys the steam. He usually nods off during a long shower. He does like to be misted with a spray bottle and gets that a couple times a week. He also dunks his head into his water bowl and splashes it onto his body--that's a pretty inefficient way to take a bath, but he seems to get a kick out of it.

by Anonymousreply 152February 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Love the posts about your parrot, R120. Birds are my favorite, but I appreciate all the pet stories. So many good ones here. Like R92, your cat sounds very sweet, and your devotion to her the same.

by Anonymousreply 153February 16, 2019 11:58 PM

My 2 Frenchies are "velcro dogs," so they go to bed whenever I do no matter how late or early it is. I used to have a pug who went to bed upstairs in my bed at 10:30 every night, whether or not I was following him. He

by Anonymousreply 154February 17, 2019 12:21 AM

They seem to (cats). When I get up in the morning they are stretching and yawning: breakfast time. I work 2nd shift and they all seem to be lying in their favorite place as I leave. Then when I get home at 12:30am, they are manic and it's feeding time again. After I go to bed I don't hear much from them (my bedroom is off-limits).

by Anonymousreply 155February 17, 2019 12:25 AM

R153, and other bird lovers, you all should read "The Birds Of Pandemonium" by Michele Raffin, who started a bird sanctuary at her home in Los Altos, Calif, specializing in parrots and rare species. Full of good stories (some sad, some funny, all fascinating).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156February 17, 2019 1:21 AM

Reading about your parrots, I want a crow as a pet. Or the smartass to adopt him. How are they to hang out with, anybody know?

by Anonymousreply 157February 17, 2019 3:17 AM

Will do, R156. Thank you for the rec. I read articles a couple weeks ago about the charity bird hospitals in Delhi, India, including the one in the temple. So this book should be a good read for me.

by Anonymousreply 158February 17, 2019 4:11 AM

My two cats vary their bed time routine. They generally follow me around so when I get ready they supervise my bath and brushing teeth routine. They either sleep on their cat tree and both come to my bed when the alarm is about to go off or sometimes my boy comes to bed in the middle of the night to cuddle in which case his little sis follows to squeeze herself in between him and me.btheybare the best.

by Anonymousreply 159February 17, 2019 4:23 AM

We had two dogs. The yorkie who has since passed, liked to sleep with my partner at night. He would lay with me on couch or during a nap but nightime was with my partner. He would crawl up on the pillows and paw my partner's head until he lifted the covers and let him under. I guess I tossed and turned too much for him at night. Our other dog doesn't like to sleep with us. She would always sleep at the foot of the bed or on a foot stool that we had for them to use as a step. Now that she's 17, she doesn't jump so her bed is right next to ours. She will walk around with a little orange ram that she has had since a baby to announce that she is going to bed for the night. She may nap earlier but when the orange ram parade happens we know she is going to sleep for the night.

by Anonymousreply 160February 17, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote]She will walk around with a little orange ram that she has had since a baby to announce that she is going to bed for the night.

That's adorable!

by Anonymousreply 161February 17, 2019 4:27 AM

The sad thing about parrots is that they live so long. and either the owner dies or abandons them and the parrot gets extremely depressed .

by Anonymousreply 162February 17, 2019 5:25 AM

I love the dog with the orange ram. My chihuahua / jack russel / beagle mix once developed an attachment to a plush toy carrot. She was also acting depressed. After she refused to eat for a few days, I took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with false pregnancy. She thought the carrot was her baby! Fortunately, she got over it after about a week or so.

She also had to sleep in the bed, under the covers. She was very polite about it, though. She would sit on the floor beside the bed and whine loudly until I said "Come on". Then she'd go right under the covers and curl up in a ball against my stomach. In the winter, it kept me warm, and she didn't get phased if I accidentally rolled over her.

by Anonymousreply 163February 17, 2019 6:13 AM

R162 True. Unless you get a smaller parrot. If well cared for, even budgies/parakeets can easily live 10 years. I had some and they were amazing little pets and I had a strong bond with two of them. Re: abandonment. Yes, and the parrots never quite get over it. Some will starve themselves to death or develop bad behaviors due to the trauma. I think these should be legacy animals to pass down after the owner dies. But many people don't have family or close friends that want the responsibility. And many of these birds are bonded with only one person or a couple and won't take to others. I've heard of some people arranging to have their older parrots euthanized should they (the owners) die. Some of the parrots are elderly which makes it a bit more understandable I guess. But it's a sad decision.

by Anonymousreply 164February 17, 2019 6:21 AM

My cat keeps me awake half the night.

by Anonymousreply 165February 17, 2019 6:56 AM

my parrot called me "motherfucker".

by Anonymousreply 166February 17, 2019 11:57 AM

They do if they know whatā€™s good for them.

by Anonymousreply 167February 17, 2019 12:56 PM

Motherfucker! Motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 168February 17, 2019 9:15 PM

i had no idea birds are so personable

by Anonymousreply 169February 18, 2019 2:31 AM

Cat stans are so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 170February 18, 2019 2:32 AM

my old siamese cat slept under the blanket curled in a ball near my stomach, her loud purring put me to sleep

by Anonymousreply 171February 18, 2019 2:34 AM

This isn't about bedtime, but I'm sharing it all the same:

My parents had two dogs and a cat, and the Lhasa had a thing about the cat--he refused to tolerate her getting attention from any of us. It was like, You want to be an independent cat, fine, you can't be part of this household.

But the cat and my father worked out this arrangement whereby she would sit in his lap while he was reading the evening paper, hidden behind the pages.

Every time, the Lhasa would come running in, certain that his regime was being flouted. But he was kind of dumb, and he never figured out where she was. Somehow, he knew she was defying his rule, and he would rush around the den looking for her, never realizing that she was inches away, hidden behind the newspaper.

We all thought it was tremendously funny. They're all dead now.

by Anonymousreply 172February 18, 2019 2:54 AM

My two elderly pugs and my partner and I all look at each other at 9:00 pm, and we'll say time for night night? Pugs get up from sleeping in front of the tv/fire and we all walk up to the bedroom. The smaller female gets carried up the stairs and runs like hell when she is placed on the ground upstairs so she can claim an obnoxiously placed position on their shared bed. The male saunters up after her and since she is splayed out, has to delicately place himself around her. He is 2x her size and if he touches her she starts growling. Once everyone is settled in I will roll up a little blanket for the female to use as a chin rest and then tuck everyone in for the night under a fluffy comforter taken from business class travel. I tell them every night while I tuck them in what good puggies they are and we are lucky to have them. They will proceed to snore and snuffle through the night. We do this every night!

by Anonymousreply 173February 18, 2019 10:39 AM

^^^ā¤ļø

by Anonymousreply 174February 18, 2019 8:12 PM

This thread is too cute for words. Bah. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 175February 18, 2019 9:06 PM

My old Maine Coon would get up from his cushion, stretch, yawn, then herd us to bed at 10.30. He didnā€™t like to be wakened once heā€™d got comfy on the bed and 10.30 was his bedtime so it became ours too. I missed that when he died.

Our current tyrant is a sassy little grey longhair who has her own bedtime routine. She gets into the treat cupboard and swats at her jar of lickystix until someone comes and gives her the bedtime treat. As soon as sheā€™s had her treat she trots upstairs and snuggles down in between the pillows. When we get into bed she picks one of our heads to sleep on like a raccoon skin hat.

by Anonymousreply 176February 18, 2019 9:16 PM

Love pugs!

by Anonymousreply 177February 18, 2019 9:16 PM

My parrot calls me motherfucker! Motherfucker!!!

by Anonymousreply 178February 18, 2019 9:48 PM

healthy cats have fur with a light clean scent, doggies have a metallic doggy odor

by Anonymousreply 179February 20, 2019 1:47 AM

My kitty girl smells like vanilla!

by Anonymousreply 180February 20, 2019 2:04 AM

My late greyhound developed his own bedtime routine, which was almost unnoticeable, and silent like him. At about 10:30pm he'd leave his large living room bed and stare at me as he relocated to his slightly smaller bed in my bedroom twenty feet away. It was the only time he would leave my sight while at home. As he walked by he'd give me this look that said, "I'm going to sleep, so keep it down!" He was the sweetest pal.

by Anonymousreply 181February 20, 2019 3:25 AM

Sweet dreams, Poppa Karl ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 20, 2019 3:51 AM

My cat is allowed to sleep on the bed but NOT on or touching the pillow. He is obsessed with trying to sleep right up against the pillow. Normally he always comes to bed about 1/2 hour after me. Tonight he pre-emptively went to bed before me and is smushed right up against the pillow grooming his paws. He gave me a look like "haha, look at where I am!"

by Anonymousreply 183February 20, 2019 5:02 AM

Night night ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184February 21, 2019 5:07 AM

R173, if only sugar was as sweet as your story. šŸ˜

by Anonymousreply 185February 22, 2019 2:50 AM

All sweet stories. I love dogs, but they are so doggy smelling to me- I can smell them on my hand if I pet them. Healthy cats do smell sweet- cookies, maple syrup, vanilla, but you have to smell their napes for it. I love cold nights, because my guys will sleep with me. In the summer, forget it.

by Anonymousreply 186February 22, 2019 4:37 PM

Dogs will smell if you don't bathe them, especially after rolling around outside.

by Anonymousreply 187February 22, 2019 4:46 PM

Thanks R185 they bring me so much joy every day!

by Anonymousreply 188February 22, 2019 11:50 PM

Here is a pic of them in their kitchen bed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189February 22, 2019 11:54 PM

Adorable! I'm so glad they have such a loving home!

by Anonymousreply 190February 22, 2019 11:59 PM

Yes. She usually gets right on top of me, puts her butt right next to my face, so that I can scratch the base of her tail for a few minutes.

She purrs for about half an hour after the scratching, and falls asleep curled up on top of my head.

I ADORE her. Sheā€™s spoiled to bits, daily.

by Anonymousreply 191February 23, 2019 9:13 AM

My little rescued from the streets boy cat quickly took over my bed, he now goes to be with me or slightly before and shares my pillow! Itā€™s like hitting the lottery, he also wants to have his own turn of the blanket ā€œjust soā€, bliss.

by Anonymousreply 192February 23, 2019 12:39 PM

Hoping for more bedtime stories ...

by Anonymousreply 193March 10, 2019 2:00 AM

Yes, OP. Every night when I'm ready to turn the lights out, I call to him. "It's snuggles time!" and he comes out of his little hiding place and jumps up on the bed for nighty night. He is so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 194March 10, 2019 2:03 AM

my cat sleeps when i am awake and watches over me when i sleep, at least at first. I do not know where she got this. But, it's a habit now.

by Anonymousreply 195March 10, 2019 2:03 AM

[r186] Yes, cats' musk smell like musk and cookies. You are the only one EVER that validated this. I thought i had some sort of olfactory disorder or something.

by Anonymousreply 196March 10, 2019 2:07 AM

I call my 9 year old golden in to sleep by my side every night and she either sleeps either at the foot of my bed, or right next to me on top of it. If she sleeps on top of the bed, she usually only lasts for 2 hours max because she gets hot and then she'll stare at me and pant at my face to get me to turn on the light so she can jump off. I know, I should let her figure out how to jump off the bed in the dark, but she has terminal cancer and I'm going to pamper her 24/7 and spend every possible second I can with her...I love her so much.

I like cats, too and our last one would crawl between the covers every night and not make a peep except if she purred.

by Anonymousreply 197March 10, 2019 2:10 AM

R173/R188, you deserve a pug tea infuser!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 10, 2019 3:21 PM

ā¤ļø im travelling So the puggies are at camp grandma getting even more spoiled!

by Anonymousreply 199March 10, 2019 3:24 PM

r197, do doggie steps for your golden? Sorry to hear she has cancer. I know CBD oil helps a bit.

by Anonymousreply 200March 10, 2019 3:28 PM

My cat is a fucking animal. You sleep on your cat bed. My bed and my room is my sanctuary. Get your paws off my 800 threat count Egyptian cotton Vera Wang sheets!!!

We're y'all raised in a barn?

by Anonymousreply 201March 10, 2019 3:33 PM

R201 sounds like my dad (though he's not gay & doesn't use fancy sheets), banishing pets to the barn. We are all animals -- Mark Twain considered the non-human variety to be the "higher" animals &, the more I see of my own species, the more I agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 202March 10, 2019 6:01 PM

pets not only sleep in the bed, they sleep on my pillow and i kiss them on the mouth!

by Anonymousreply 203March 15, 2019 2:47 AM

Yech. I love animals, but I don't kiss them on the mouth (at least dogs). My brother does something entirely disgusting by drooling into his cats mouth, and the cat laps it up.

by Anonymousreply 204March 15, 2019 5:22 AM

Good night, sweet prince!

by Anonymousreply 205March 18, 2019 4:52 AM

Once more: good night, sweet prince!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 18, 2019 4:52 AM

My vicious, fat assed chihuahua terrier mix forces me to sleep by attacking my ankles. Always aggravating, just like Donny Trump!

by Anonymousreply 207March 18, 2019 4:58 AM

My cat sleeps next to me in her cat bed where the other pillow would be. If I take a nap, she takes a nap. When I go to bed, she goes to bed, except if I stay up late on the computer then she goes to bed at 9pm but not in her bed, but on the part of bed closest to me and the computer.

by Anonymousreply 208April 5, 2019 7:52 PM

These stories are so cute. I wish we had more threads like this instead of the bitchy stuff we have.

by Anonymousreply 209April 5, 2019 8:33 PM

Van Gogh always follows us to the bedroom and jumps into his dog bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 5, 2019 8:45 PM

I think I got thrush from kissing my dog on the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 211April 5, 2019 8:49 PM

I have owned (and lost) many mastiff breeds over the years. Most have slept in our bedroom, and since my other half died, more than one ha snuggled up to me on the bed. I recently lost a beautiful, sweet natured rescue bullmastiff who would wait until I rolled into my usual sleeping position, then hop up and lay right next to me, with her nose pressing against my neck. I can still feel that sensation, and it makes me tear up. The other two sleep in their own baskets next to the bed. They are affectionate but not as tactile.

by Anonymousreply 212April 5, 2019 9:59 PM

Put some peanut butter on your balls...then report back....

by Anonymousreply 213April 5, 2019 10:43 PM

Say, R210, I am looking at your windows in that picture - are those replacements for sliders?

by Anonymousreply 214April 5, 2019 10:45 PM

dude spitting in his pets mouth, ick!

what a wierdo

by Anonymousreply 215April 6, 2019 1:39 AM

My pets stay up all night watching TV and posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 216April 6, 2019 1:40 AM

This is such a lovely thread. More more more please!

by Anonymousreply 217April 6, 2019 1:55 AM

my boston, sprite, goes to bed usually about an hour before I do.

by Anonymousreply 218April 6, 2019 12:47 PM

So many kind sisters and their precious little citizens!

by Anonymousreply 219April 6, 2019 12:58 PM

r218, is your Boston Terrier brown or black? I saw a brown one the other day and now I want one.

by Anonymousreply 220April 6, 2019 12:59 PM

i love the brindle boston terriers. they are all so cute like snowflakes. no two are alike. my Sprite is black and white - classic boston features.

by Anonymousreply 221April 6, 2019 1:02 PM

[quote] they are all so cute like snowflakes. no two are alike

I've often thought this about Dataloungers...

by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2019 11:44 AM

i love the bird bed time story

by Anonymousreply 223April 12, 2019 12:59 AM

I saw a beautiful long haired Belgian Shepherd the other day. I also like Shelties.

by Anonymousreply 224April 12, 2019 1:11 AM

Mine usually stay up and watch a little TV before they go to bed. Sometimes they raid the liquor cabinet after Iā€™ve gone to bed.

by Anonymousreply 225April 12, 2019 3:22 AM

Night-night ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 14, 2019 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!