Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

**OFFICIAL Government Shutdown thread PT 3**

***Continue discussion here***

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406February 15, 2019 4:25 AM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2019 3:52 AM

^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2019 6:23 AM

Thanks for starting (unfortunately) a third thread. I don’t think Trump would gain any currency from attacking striking TSA workers. The public already blames him and feels sympathy for people being asked to work with no paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2019 6:56 PM

He’s actually losing uneducated whites slowly as well, aka his base.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2019 6:57 PM

Republican senator admits Trump’s immigration proposal was just a “straw man”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2019 7:00 PM

Trump is filth.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2019 7:02 PM

"Trump knew that Pelosi would turn down the offer, so he's not going to have to grant amnesty and really rile the base. The point of the offer was to show Pelosi as unwilling to compromise."

Pelosi and the Dems should turn around and make some sort of offer, which Trump will undoubtedly reject or refuse to listen to in the first place. It's not hard to make someone look like they are unwilling to compromise.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2019 7:03 PM

They have done that repeatedly, r7, by passing the same bills that previously passed in the Senate but turtle refuses to even allow them to come to the Senate floor.

Both turtle and fat Donnie are unwilling to do anything but scream and pout.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2019 7:36 PM

[quote]As with Reagan the Air Traffic Controllers, if they strike or walk out THEY WILL BE TERMINATED.

The longer this shutdown lasts, the emptier this threat gets. They're not just going to "walk out." They'll quit.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2019 8:17 PM

Tom Nichols:

This shutdown is not about a wall. It's not about security. It's not even about the budget.

It's about how long Mitch McConnell wants to let Ann Coulter be president and Rush Limbaugh be the Senate Majority Leader.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2019 8:24 PM

Lol Ann the Mann is OWNING the president. She completely immasculated him. Cut his balls off and he said NOTHING in return.

NOW all of the sudden he’s speechless. Before, you couldn’t shut him up.

PATHETIC LOSER!

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2019 8:43 PM

Old sodomite Mitch is just another Trump enabler. He thinks he can keep sweetening the pot by adding in billions of money for other programs but keep the $5 billion for the pretend wall. They are ballooning the deficit and ruining the economy. I only take solace in knowing he and Trump will die soon.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote] I only take solace in knowing he and Trump will die soon.

Not soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2019 9:03 PM

I have to wonder if turtle and fat Donnie are hoping mist federal employees quit so they can hire all MAGAts loyal to him only.

I mean, there aren't enough MAGAts to fill all of the empty positions but that still might be a bonus in their book.

Seeing as how his cultists zombies won't be feeling enough pain to pressure him to open the government .

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2019 9:04 PM

First, this Mike Pence is a snake. The REAL Mike Pence has yet to really make himself known. All I ever see whenever I see him is someone who is so enamored by President Ronald Reagan that he probably spent a month 24/7 in a room watching all footage of Reagan. His voice intonation and mannerisms are all reminiscent of Reagan to me.

Second, is anyone else feeling that for some time now this Administration, in order to justify their actions, will always invoke the name of President Obama? It's like... President Obama did this or that and so why are there problems when we do this or that? Of course it could all be lies, (who really wants to spend the time to check), but it seems as if the Trump Administration is always fighting the ghost of Obama. Or, trying to destroy the Obama brand and legacy.

Third, I really feel bad for those of you who are suffering through this. I really, really, do! Truthfully though, if you are a Trump supporter or voted for him, I couldn't give a shit--SUFFER! But, I'd like to see people miss another two paychecks. That will bring people onto the streets! I'll be there with you too. But, that will definitely force Trump to his knees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2019 9:30 PM

In case you missed it, this was post #600 on the first thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2019 9:35 PM

Trump is no Reagan - Trump’s popularity is sinking faster than his wet diaper

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2019 9:44 PM

It's getting hot in here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2019 12:43 AM

One way the Dems can more effectively neutralize the GOP shutdown talking points is to be more aggressive and emasculating. “Every time the Republican Party has a problem, they bring up Obama. Guess what fellow Americans??? Obama has been out of office for over two years now. Any time the Republicans respond to an issue with ‘Oblaming’ you need to know they just aren’t man enough to own up to their own governing. Real men and women who govern — well, I want to say men and women but they barely allow women in there — don’t try to Pass to the Past every time they see a problem. They name it, they claim it, and they talk about it like adults and DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM. You, our citizens, deserve a government that doesn’t respond to every single problem with ‘Obama did this’ and ‘Obama did that.’ It’s time for citizens to tell Republicans we are TIRED of Oblaming, we want REAL answers to the problems created by the terrible leadership of Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the trainwreck that is currently occupying our White House.” Or something.

But now is their chance to crucify Mitch — they should take big shots at him, he’s weakened and they could REALLY squeeze Mitch right now. Strike Dems, you’ve gotta be hitting Mitch RIGHT NOW!!! It’s your window, and it won’t be open forever!!!

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]One way the Dems can more effectively neutralize the GOP shutdown talking points is to be more aggressive and emasculating.

I agree. But, Democrats had better be ready for the massive marketing onslaught that the Republicans will do once Mitch McConnell brings that Trump abomination to the floor and it passes the Senate. It isn't protection for the Dreamers and others at all. It's simply a delay. However, Republicans are already positioning it as a "protection" and if Nancy Pelosi chooses not to bring it up for a vote in the House, or if she chooses to and it fails--as it should, Republicans will pounce with Democrats care nothing for the Dreamers or the furloughed workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2019 2:09 AM

As if anyone trusts Mitch! People are smarter than you think.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2019 3:06 AM

Naw - No negotiations over border security, or anything else, until they open back up the government. That’s how government works.

Otherwise, next time they’ll shut down the government unless they get their way over farm subsidies, or climate change, or abortion.

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2019 3:28 AM

[quote]As if anyone trusts Mitch! People are smarter than you think.

Maybe one day you will start a thread discussing why people voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2019 3:30 AM

R22 Bingo!

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2019 3:33 AM

A minority voted for Trump. We already know that.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2019 4:34 AM

That's what Nancy has been saying, r22. But the stupid media just wants to scream "both sides".

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2019 6:43 AM

MAJOR tweeting going on among Republicans. Trump's last tweet was at midnight. All about how he is the greatest. His family is being attacked. No other president has done more. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Me thinks that they're feeling the heat from all of the ramifications that are happening and.... possibly something coming down from Mueller this week.

The headlines have not gone their way after having all of the Trump pundits on the Sunday morning talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2019 6:55 AM

2,500 retailers are unable to take any form of food stamps due to the government shutdown, because they need to renew EBT debit card licenses but can't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2019 2:07 PM

Trump tweeted 40 times on Day 30 of the shutdown

He spent 2 minutes or less at the MLK memorial and didn’t mention him

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Of COURSE r29. And we’re supposed to respect this guy? He’s a fucking CLOWN.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote]Lol Ann the Mann is OWNING the president. She completely immasculated him. Cut his balls off and he said NOTHING in return.

Mann must have some real nasty dirt on Dump. He is truly terrified of her.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2019 5:03 PM

How did that MKL memorial not explode with those two fucktards standing next to it? C'mon God, there was a perfect opportunity and ya blew it!

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2019 7:34 PM

God was a bit busy keeping an eye on the notorious RBG, urging Mueller's team on and whispering in Mueller's ear.

Besides, god has to drive them crazy first. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2019 8:16 PM

Seems like there is no plan in place for this week. Both sides will pass bills the other side will reject. The federal workers are showing remarkable restraint.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2019 8:25 PM

If Ginsberg dies, will he reopen?

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2019 8:29 PM

All of this is completely at the feet of Donald and if anyone but his moronic hardcore base blame the Democrats I'm going to rip my fucking hair out.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2019 8:33 PM

Well, bald is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2019 9:10 PM

Not gonna reopen til February

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2019 9:36 PM

It sounds as if may states dispersed food stamps early, but if this shutdown goes into March and those people don't get money for food, it might get ugly.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2019 11:50 PM

That's what Marshall Law is for, R39.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2019 11:52 PM

The “wall” seems like a symbolic fight for dominance. Clearly there is no crisis at the Mexican border. Too bad it will take a plane crash for the government to reopen.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2019 11:56 PM

Lol r40 whoooooooo boy. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2019 11:57 PM

From Travis Allen

[block]Why can’t we use Thoughts and Prayers to protect the border?

[block]It’s what we use to protect our schools.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2019 1:27 AM

AP - Trump's shutdown proposal faces uncertain fate in Senate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2019 3:41 PM

It can’t withstand the filibuster

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2019 4:05 PM

Good optics! Good optics!

Many Democrats are visiting and/helping out with food banks and soup kitchens. Where are the Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2019 4:06 PM

If TSA workers go on strike, who’s going to take a job where you work for free?

I can definitely see Trump firing them all. But if somebody needs a job so badly they’re willing to act as scabs, they need a paycheck. Issuing IOU’s isn’t going to work for people who have been unemployed and need money now. Those are low-paid jobs, people willing to work in them don’t have a lot of money laying around.

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2019 4:12 PM

Gee, I'm not the poster but I bet the guy who posts "govt workers cannot strike" will be very upset with your post R47 lol.

They will get back pay. That's what they said on the news. So it's not working for free.

by Anonymousreply 48January 22, 2019 4:15 PM

Natasha Bertrand:

FBI Agents Association just released a 72-page report about the shutdown. "The shutdown has eliminated any ability to operate," says 1 agent. "The US Attorney's Office is unable to issue grand jury subpoenas for financial institutions," says another.

by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2019 4:21 PM

This might turn into its own thread but here goes:

Mitch is about to take a huge gamble by passing this stunt bill. He will need ALL republicans to vote for "amnesty" in order to pass it.

Several of these senators are up for reelection in deep red states.

The deplorables will be up in arms over these RINOs who dared to pass an amnesty bill. KY is one of those states.

This is a huge opportunity to show deplorables that these amnesty-loving republican need to be primaried.

Basically, Cocaine Mitch is about to shoot himself and fellow republicans in the foot in order to pass a fake bill that will never become a law.

This is a huge opportunity. Make sure all deplorable scum knows that the repugs are about to vote for Amnesty.

And make sure Ann Colt and Rush Limbarf get lots of tweets about amnesty-loving republicans.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2019 4:28 PM

Hasn’t it come out that there are very bad things hidden in McTurtle’s bill?

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2019 11:44 PM

Poison pills

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2019 11:46 PM

The likely dealbreakers come from the new asylum provisions. Trump’s proposal isn’t actually a straightforward “BRIDGE Act for wall” swap, it turns out. It also attempts to limit the asylum application process in certain ways for some, notably minors from Central America.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2019 11:53 PM

I really don't want to miss another damn paycheck. Open the government you motherfucker. All you are doing is causing pain and misery you heartless bastard.

I hate, loathe, and despise the Dotard so much.

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2019 11:53 PM

I really feel for people. Missing two paychecks is unfair and burdensome for anyone. People that live near these local Republicans in red states need to picket their offices. It’s negatively impacting the working man and woman.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2019 1:14 AM

You all are cute that you think the Repigs give a shit about anyone other than themselves. Let them eat cake!

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2019 1:19 AM

But blue collar workers are red. This is a fallacy that the shutdown is all Democrats. Or they have family that is suffering etc. Americans need to not surrender.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2019 1:23 AM

R54, do you have any idea how the Trumpers in your office are taking it? Do you communicate with each other? Are you working unpaid or can you stay home? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2019 1:26 AM

R51, it came out that they were reducing the ways people could apply for asylum. They want them to apply in their home country. Obviously if you’re trying to run away from your home country, that could be enough to get you locked up or killed, so that isn’t going to help many people, if any. Most failed governments are embarrassed and offended by people running away.

I can imagine Putin wouldn’t like this, or any of the draconian Arab countries, let alone the South American countries. If people were living in a reasonable country, they wouldn’t need asylum in the first place.

They also wanted to reduce the numbers of asylum seekers granted asylum. It was said that Stephen Miller has a hand in this. I would assume these changes are fine with the racists in the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote]"The US Attorney's Office is unable to issue grand jury subpoenas for financial institutions," says another.

And that's just how we like it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2019 1:46 AM

Thanks for the info. It does feel like a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2019 2:06 AM

[quote] do you have any idea how the Trumpers in your office are taking it? Do you communicate with each other? Are you working unpaid or can you stay home? TIA.

There are almost no Rethuglicans in my section of our office, except one ex-Army guy. (The rest -- about 25 people -- are all Dems.) I'm not even certain that the Army guy voted for tRump. We talk politics only in the most general terms, and he has never tipped his hand. There was one woman who retired last year. She was tRumper because her husband, a real estate developer, knew the fat Orange Dotard bastard from NY and FL.

Most of us are required to be in work, including a few of the support staff. The others are furloughed -- which makes it difficult when we need files that the furloughed workers have squirreled away somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2019 2:59 AM

Muslim kid I work with prefers to bury his head in the sand and ignore everything political...I told him that politics impacts him also. He said he will pay attention when he feels the impact. I don’t understand “Americans” like that.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2019 3:03 AM

That kid is going to start feeling the pain soon.

The IRS can't staff.

And most of my coworkers are also claiming hardship. So much for tax refunds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2019 3:13 AM

Big thumbs up r54 / r62. Do you have any suggestions for the rest of us, some ways we can be the most supportive of you? Any movements we might join to show support?

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2019 3:13 AM

Appreciate it, R65. I would say if folks could donate to the food banks that have been set up to help people that would be great.

What really fries me is the cruelty of it all -- and yet none of the Repukes care. They are just pure evil. Making people go to work and then withholding their paychecks. We fought a war to end slavery.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2019 3:34 AM

[quote] Making people go to work and then withholding their paychecks. We fought a war to end slavery.

Time to start the commercials. Great line.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2019 3:38 AM

Today on NPR I heard an interview with Michael Lewis, author of "The Fifth Risk." I was glued to the radio but couldn't hear the end of the program because I finally arrived at work. The interview was so fascinating I just ordered the book. The part of the interview I heard is how ignorant, incompetent, and amateur the administration was from the start. How Obama's crew had prepared reams of transition information, scheduled meetings for crucial people in the new administration, and no one showed up. Trump also fired his own transition team and many of Obama's transition team as well. When trumpsters, including cabinet leaders, finally did saunter in a month or so later they had no idea what their departments actually did. They also ignored the reports Obama's team created. Then they wasted no time in demoting people, moving them around, demoralizing them, firing them, and essentially gutting crucial agencies.

Simply willful ignorance and arrogance. Anyway, a reasonable transition did not mesh with their agenda, which is to destroy this country to please Putin and create an oligarchy of their own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2019 3:45 AM

Clip of head of FBI Agents Association on Rachel. He was all over news yesterday, delivering messages like R60’s.

Said that Trump shutdown is causing their best agents to leave. Quietly indicated that the FBI has begun losing the ability to thwart terror plots.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2019 9:19 AM

[quote]it came out that they were reducing the ways people could apply for asylum

Mitch's version of the bill is even worse than what Trump asked for:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2019 11:23 AM

Mitch’s strategy is to try to get Democrats complaining about the DACA/Asylum issues in his bill, so as to make it look like this is a debate over immigration, rather than over why the Republicans won’t simply pass a bill to open the government.

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2019 11:34 AM

The numbers are pretty hideous for Trump's boondoggle vision:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2019 4:27 PM

According to the poll of polls, Trump's approval is back in the 30s (though just barely) for the first time in a year. Tired of winning yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2019 5:27 PM

Even Rasputin has him at 56% disapprove and they skew right.

He is fucked. And he did it to himself.

Serves him right.

It's going to keep going down once tax season kicks in.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2019 5:45 PM

It's interesting that this is the hill they want to die on. You'd think they'd be frantically working to get stuff done and look good before the Mueller report comes out. But they are just pissing away the little time they have left.

Why? Because Ann Coulter was mean to him?

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2019 6:01 PM

When will Republicans realize that Trump does not give a shit about anything but winning? He works for Russia and does not care one bit if America is run into the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2019 8:52 PM

You just described the Rethuglican Party in a nutshell. Be very afraid.

by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2019 9:03 PM

Time for impeachment. Bring it back on the table, Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2019 1:56 AM

Please recall that Speaker Pelosi has not "taken impeachment off the table." She said she wants to see what is in the Mueller report and what evidence turns up in the various investigations that the House is undertaking. The House Judiciary Committee (which has jurisdiction over drafting the articles of impeachment) must make sure that case against this motherfucker is ironclad so the Repukes in the Senate will have no choice whatsoever but to vote to remove the bastard from office.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote]make sure that case against this motherfucker is ironclad so the Repukes in the Senate will have no choice whatsoever but to vote to remove the bastard from office.

Those 2 bitches Collins and Murkowski could be convinced to flip.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2019 2:45 AM

If the government is closed, the investigations come to a halt? Give 'em time to hide stuff, or create new menaces to distract?

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2019 2:59 AM

I'm totally fine if you all want to start throwing rocks into Mitch's face. He is ugly and never touches me.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2019 3:10 AM

I think there’s a bigger picture going on. They structuring and wearing down for the future. The goal is long term. We need to take a bird eye view of what is going on.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2019 4:49 AM

It actually is happening here.

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2019 4:54 AM

Have you noticed that Trump is not concerned with reopening the government but is only concerned with making his State of the Union Address? If I were President, I would. be very concerned with re-openning government. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing many thousands were not getting paid. How come Trump doesn’t care?

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2019 5:03 AM

I address this to any supporters.that ever show up here because I honestly don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2019 5:05 AM

He doesn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2019 5:07 AM

We need to crowd fund the Mueller investigation.

It just boggles the mind that the orange idiot claims building a wall will protect the US from all sorts of evils. Meanwhile he puts us at risk by shutting crucial federal agencies. He's staging a coup in plain site. He is the threat, he is the evil. I'm confident he'll be stopped but in the meantime I am angrier than I'v ever been at at Republicans and stupid deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2019 5:13 AM

Bingo, R87

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2019 5:14 AM

The Republican do NOT care about our National Security, our Democracy or the American people. How many times do the Republicans have to show their true colors to us, the American people?

FUCK OFF REPUBLICANS!

Mitch and Trump can reopen the government anytime they want too. They can also jack up the taxes on the billionaire asshole so we can have a vibrant and dynamic democracy again. They can also freeze the assets of Putin and Russian Oligarchs, just like Obama did. Trump/Mitch/Republican Party are TRAITORS to the American people and DEMOCRACY.

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2019 5:18 AM

Authoritarianism is rising

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2019 5:26 AM

Trump is being egged on by sycophants Mulvaney and Miller to protract the shutdown and fight for the wall (even though they are so inept they can’t define what they mean by wall). 71% of the public do not want a shutdown over a wall (whatever that is). This does make me think they are testing the boundaries of how far they can push Execute power at the expense of state workers. I wish someone would drop a bomb on the WH. We can rebuild.

by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2019 5:42 AM

They are testing the boundaries of how far they can push Execute power at the expense of state workers.

YES

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2019 5:45 AM

R85, Are you Rip Van Winkle who just woke up?

"How come.... ?"?! Because Trump is a narcissistic sociopathic traitor, is "how come"!

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2019 11:15 AM

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who's worth $700 million, wonders why furloughed fed workers are relying on food banks rather than taking out loans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2019 1:52 PM

Just went through TSA today and they are f-ing pissed. They patted down and searched everyone, wands we’re out, bags were searched much more than usual, seemingly to make the lines really f-ing long. Be careful if you are bringing anything dicey they are on the rampage. I would happily tip the TSA if they don’t look at my stuff

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2019 3:16 PM

If news channels want to get the message of people hurting because of the shutdown, they need to interview more white men, the heart of Trump's base on how the shutdown has affected their families. Then, keep showing Eric's wife and the senile Commerce Sec. 's remarks over and over.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote] He is ugly and never touches me.

Well then, that should work out quite nicely for you, Elaine.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2019 4:03 PM

One of the anchors on CNN reported," Mitch McConnell emerged from his shell to promise a vote on both proposals." Oh, that turtle.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2019 4:17 PM

This thoughtful comment was posted in The Hill after the Wilbur Ross article above.

"I live in Texas and most of the people I went to school with (and even several of my in-laws) will vote straight ticket Republican for no other reason than "abortion". They are single issue voters that have been duped into believing that they are the side of "good" because they honestly believe anyone who votes for a Democrat loves abortion and giving people who aren't willing to work free taxpayer dollars. They are some of the most misinformed people I know. They are self-righteous, identify as Christian (although they seem to ignore everything Jesus taught, lived, and died for), love their guns... the other single issue that gets their votes.

When you think about the two bookends of their political ideology, it doesn't make a lot of sense. On the one end, they don't want any woman for any reason to have access to abortion. On the other end, they don't want anyone for any reason telling them they can't have access to whatever kind of firearm they want to stockpile. If that's not schizophrenic, I don't know what is. And undergirding all of that is their unshakable belief that God is on their side and if you aren't you are pure evil. Seriously. It's crazy."

Anonymous poster, The Hill

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2019 4:36 PM

On MSNBC last night, Barbara Boxer also snarked that McConnell needs "to come out of his shell" and get the governemnt opened.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote]I live in Texas and most of the people I went to school with (and even several of my in-laws) will vote straight ticket Republican for no other reason than "abortion".

We are told, in the very interesting article about SmellyAnne that was in the New Yorker during Trump's campaign, that she is also obsessed with abortion and that explains her entire world view. She's a monster but she seems very intelligent. Why would a person like her let her entire agenda be driven by such nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2019 5:02 PM

Fox News: Lisa Murkowski, Republican from Alaska, will join Susan Collins & Cory Gardner to vote for Democratic proposal to re-open government as well as GOP proposal. That makes three Republicans, ten short of the 13 needed to pass Dem bill

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2019 5:03 PM

It won't pass but the defections are very telling of the popular mood and will not go unnoticed by the public. And they're likely to drive Drumpf insane!

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2019 5:09 PM

What will drive him even more insane us his nosediving poll numbers.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2019 5:25 PM

It was rumored on the Joni Ernst thread that she also wants to vote yes for the Dem proposal. Whether she actually will remains to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2019 5:44 PM

“Let them eat cake.”/—Wilbur

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2019 6:05 PM

Mitch McConnell is100% Sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2019 6:09 PM

[r107] only if you pay it back and with interest. These people are psychos.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2019 7:49 PM

SIX defections in the Senate!

by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2019 8:02 PM

Michael Bennet yelled at Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate.

That was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2019 10:09 PM

Bennet 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2019 10:10 PM

Democratic bill got more Republican votes than Dump’s bill LOL! Now, Mitch says he wants to negotiate with Schumer...

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2019 10:37 PM

Can we please run someone good against Mitch McConnell? We have to get rid of this sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2019 11:05 PM

I am hoping Alison Grimes does. She almost beat that hateful fucker the last time she ran.

I told her I would knock on doors and work for her campaign if she does.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2019 1:25 AM

CNN says Trump is preparing a national emergency declaration. Anything to get out of being defeated I guess. And Kellyanne is not smart. She just knows how to change the subject and be a condescending cunt.

by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2019 2:08 AM

Schemer should start calling McConnell "Rich Mitch." Emphasize his indifference to employees' missing paydays.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2019 2:17 AM

Haha, auto-correct! "Schumer," not "Schemer." OTOH, ...!

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2019 2:23 AM

Trump is now asking for "pro-rated payment" now...instead of 5 billion

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2019 2:23 AM

Prorated down payment like dealing with Russian oligarchs? They know NOTHING about government. The Trump Train is running off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2019 3:02 AM

Pro-rated downpayment -- what the hell is that? He knows nothing about how the government works. Nancy should give him an IOU and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2019 3:17 AM

Nancy should make up some phony technical term that doesn’t mean anything and put that to a vote. Maybe Latin for “no wall.”

Trump won’t read it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2019 3:24 AM

Nancy slapping Trump around like a little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2019 4:15 AM

"I know some people call her 'Fancy Nancy' -- these days, I think a better nickname is 'Dr. No,'" White House adviser Kellyanne Conway told Fox News on Thursday, referring to Pelosi. "Just keep hearing 'no' -- just 'no no no' all the time - you can't just stomp your feet and say, 'Harrumph.'"

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2019 4:22 AM

Conway seems disarmed.

Will this upset the fat assed homophobic straight chicks whomhave made their invasion so,apparent?

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2019 4:54 AM

I like that Senator Bennett. The medieval wall. He's right.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote]Just keep hearing 'no' -- just 'no no no' all the time - you can't just stomp your feet and say, 'Harrumph.'"

Jaysus, these snowflakes. Nancy has had the power for what, only a month, and they're already rending their clothes and crying their eyes out. What are they gonna do at the six-month mark? Jump in the ocean? (If we were so lucky)

Like Nancy I say, No. No, I don't care about Trump's hurt feelings when people say No to him, do you?

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2019 5:22 AM

Speaker Pelosi learned from masters.

ACA Individual Mandate? "No, no, no!"

Merrick Garland? "No, no, no!"

Sanctions on Deripaska? "No, no, no!"

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2019 6:46 AM

A priceless line from the Washington Post, reporting on the tensions between Republican senators behind the scenes:

“This is your fault,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) at one point, according to two Republicans who attended the lunch and witnessed the exchange.

“Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?” McConnell [italic]snapped[/italic] back.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2019 12:19 PM

That Senator Bennett seems pretty cool. He might make a good running mate for Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2019 2:09 PM

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was the ONLY Democrat in the House to vote no on Pelosi’s bill to reopen the government.

Can New Yorkers please make her a one-termer and send her back to bartending where she belongs???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2019 2:11 PM

R130 except Colorado has so little Electoral votes.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2019 2:11 PM

I think Harris and Sherrod Brown would make a good ticket in 2020.

Originally I was for Harris/Beto but I worry Beto might implode

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2019 2:15 PM

^except Ohio is lost to the Deplorables, they will vote for Trump even if Brown is on Dem ticket

by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2019 2:17 PM

Here we go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 25, 2019 2:22 PM

Roger Stone arrested. Harrumph.

by Anonymousreply 136January 25, 2019 2:26 PM

Boo hoo Kellyanne. Dr. No strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 137January 25, 2019 2:29 PM

Following up 135:

CNN - Air traffic is delayed at LaGuardia Airport in New York, Philadelphia International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey due to staffing issues at an FAA regional air traffic control center.

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2019 2:31 PM

R 134, If Ohio is so deplorable, how is Brown still in the Senate and how did it put Obama over the electoral vote total twice? No, it's a state that Hillary forgot existed, much like Michigan and Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2019 2:32 PM

We need Brown in the Senate. If he leaves for P or VP, the governor of Ohio will replace him with a Rethug.

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2019 2:38 PM

LaGuardia now CLOSED to arriving flights.

by Anonymousreply 141January 25, 2019 2:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 25, 2019 2:41 PM

Flights are being redirected to land at Goose Bay, Newfoundland.

by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2019 2:45 PM

Dr. No is Kellyanne’s husband when she asks for FML sex

by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2019 2:45 PM

Why flights into airport?

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2019 2:52 PM

Only the little people fly commercial, so no problem, really.

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2019 2:55 PM

Trump will use the airport "emergency" to fold today and redirect attention from Roger Stone.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2019 2:57 PM

R143, we now have the perfect plotline for the sequel to the Broadway musical Come From Away.

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2019 3:00 PM

I've lived in NYC for decades and never ever used LaGuardia. I know to avoid that shithole.

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2019 3:02 PM

LGA groundstop lifted, just saw that on CNBC

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2019 3:02 PM

I wonder why, r150. Perhaps the White House intervened and ordered the FAA to reopen the airport, unsafe or not.

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2019 3:15 PM

Of course it's unfair for people to miss paychecks and this is political blackmail BUT of all people who can best survive this it is the majority of federal workers who get good salaries and enviable benefits. This has happened before and this wasn't unexpected. I can't believe most federal workers don't have some savings and couldn't get extra credit lines in preparation. Yes they will have to pay interest which may hurt but they know they are getting their back pay and everyone seems to be bending over to help them - DC metro system is going to be giving them free rides, DC has emergency legislation preventing foreclosures and evictions for this. . And no one's getting foreclosed or evicted this quickly. I mean people were wailing even before they missed one paycheck. People in the private sector face these issues all the time without the assurances of getting their money back..

In other words, while the wailing and reports of "hardships" is great fodder against the rethugs and Trump, I am not as sympathetic for people who should have several months of living expenses in savings available for emergencies.

Yes I guess I'm a cold hearted bitch. I'm more concerned about those who need the government services unavailable during the shutdown. And trust me it's not like the government will be up to speed the moment it reopens. People will have to "warm up" to working again.

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2019 3:52 PM

R152 = Lara Trump.

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2019 4:00 PM

Warriors skip a White House visit and instead meet with President Obama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2019 4:09 PM

I just read the Stone indictment (or most of it, I skimmed some of his lies). Too bad we don’t get a perp walk, I feel a little robbed.

by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2019 4:15 PM

We’ve all been robbed, Bigly.

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2019 4:26 PM

Drudge saying a shutdown agreement has been reached and will be announced at 1 pm. Govt. to reopen "temporarily."

by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2019 4:35 PM

R152, if you aren’t a troll, then you’re just a good old fashioned asshole. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2019 4:38 PM

Love Mazie! You go gurl!

"I guess if Ann Coulter yells at him he turns into a total wimp"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2019 4:45 PM

McTurtle is scared! He's talking to Schumer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2019 4:46 PM

McTurtle will end it. He knows he’s only looking like even more of an asshole (if that’s possible) as the hours go on.

by Anonymousreply 161January 25, 2019 4:49 PM

[quote] if you aren’t a troll, then you’re just a good old fashioned asshole. Go fuck yourself

LOL! Why would I have to be a troll to express an opinion? I expect adults to handle their finances in an adult fashion like having emergency savings instead of spending every dime they make. By the way, I'm not getting paid either during the shutdown.

Maybe this will be a good lesson in money management for my fellow federal paycheckers.

Still little sympathy from me for the majority of federal workers. They should be defiant in the face of the rethugs rather than caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 162January 25, 2019 4:50 PM

I stand by my comment r152/r162. You have an opinion about them, I have one about you, which is that you’re an asshole. Just expressing my opinion, just like you darling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2019 4:53 PM

Oooo! And I forgot to mention! Set aside how little you respect federal workers. By coming here and posting what you did, you’re carrying water for the Rethugs. That makes you an asshole too, just expressing an opinion!!! 😘

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2019 4:54 PM

Yes, R162, very irresponsible of that $12-an-hour Museum of American History cafeteria cashier to deplete her savings on such a frivolous thing as cancer treatment.

by Anonymousreply 165January 25, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote]I expect adults to handle their finances in an adult fashion like having emergency savings instead of spending every dime they make. By the way, I'm not getting paid either during the shutdown. Maybe this will be a good lesson in money management for my fellow federal paycheckers.

Christ you're insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 166January 25, 2019 4:57 PM

I also need to say, I wonder if you’re perhaps a single gay man or woman? Have you any children? Just wondering if you have comparable financial pressures to your co-workers who need “lessons on money management.” Just wondering what your bills look like compared to your coworkers??? Care to share? We’re just sharing opinions darling, no harm, no foul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 25, 2019 4:58 PM

R165, that worker should have 6 to 12 months of savings. There is NO liquidity crisis.

by Anonymousreply 168January 25, 2019 5:01 PM

CBS News chief Washington correspondent Major Garrett reports that Trump is expected to back a continuing resolution (CR) -- which would fund the government at current levels -- and reopen the government for a few weeks. The border security debate will continue while the resolution is in place, but the move is designed to take the stress off the system and assure that federal workers get paid.

by Anonymousreply 169January 25, 2019 5:11 PM

POLITICO: Three week CR and threat to declare a national emergency if Congress can’t come up with anything for border is the latest guidance I’ve been given on what the president may announce. Has changed several times today.

by Anonymousreply 170January 25, 2019 5:15 PM

The government will be reopened. And the Wall will not be funded.

Win: Nancy.

Loss: Donald.

by Anonymousreply 171January 25, 2019 5:16 PM

The ATC putting a ground stop at LaGuardia was the last straw.

by Anonymousreply 172January 25, 2019 5:17 PM

R162 is awful

by Anonymousreply 173January 25, 2019 5:29 PM

Yes r173, and notice that he/she still hasn’t returned to defend their awfulness? Hmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 174January 25, 2019 5:41 PM

Don’t most TSA workers make under $40K? Why are you expecting them to have large savings?

by Anonymousreply 175January 25, 2019 6:14 PM

Some deplorable is bumping mundane threads. Keep these threads at the top.

by Anonymousreply 176January 25, 2019 6:14 PM

Again with the see-through steel . . .

by Anonymousreply 177January 25, 2019 6:23 PM

He’s throwing the Wall overboard, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 178January 25, 2019 6:25 PM

He will just do it again in three weeks when that funding runs out.

And that isn't enough to get people the back pay they are owed, either.

by Anonymousreply 179January 25, 2019 6:25 PM

Jonathan Swan Verified account @jonathanvswan

A former White House official texts me, unsolicited: “Trump looks pathetic...he just ceded his presidency to Nancy Pelosi.”

11:24 AM - 25 Jan 2019

by Anonymousreply 180January 25, 2019 6:29 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

by Anonymousreply 181January 25, 2019 6:37 PM

So it will be the Ides of February when he calls a national emergency? I hope a massive stroke strikes him down first.

by Anonymousreply 182January 25, 2019 6:40 PM

Judd Legum Verified account @JuddLegum

Trump closed the government for 35 days. Hundreds of thousands of federal workers and contractors suffered. Then he gave Nancy Pelosi what she’s been asking for the entire time. #artofthedeal

-Pelosi is going to have to add Trump to her disclosure forms where it asks for a list of assets she owns.

-I think people may be underestimating the significance of Pelosi—and the midterm results—crushing the widespread assumption that Trump has a mystical grasp on the pulse of the electorate and is politically invulnerable

-You don't end a shutdown ... -1 day after 6 GOP senators defected -2 days after Pelosi called your SOTU bluff -In the midst of pretty brutal polls-Without getting any concessions. ... unless you have lost pretty badly

-Nancy Pelosi is clearly violating the Constitution by serving as both Speaker and President at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 183January 25, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote] very irresponsible of that $12-an-hour Museum of American History cafeteria cashier to deplete her savings on such a frivolous thing as cancer treatment.

Idiot. She's not a federal employee. She works for a private vendor with a contract with the government. Those ARE the people hurting because they aren't going to get paid for those work hours lost. THOSE are the people we should feel for rather than the vast majority of the federal employees who WILL be reimbursed for lost wages whether they worked or not.

I'm not backing down no matter how many juvenile names you call me. I realize there are exceptions but for the most part federal employees will be fine - you do know what federal workers are right? - and should be able to handle this shutdown. Save your tears for those who deserve them.

I sure riled some pissy federal worker. LOL! Too bad. Thank your lucky stars that you have a good job with enviable benefits. I'm sure you'll be back at retirement time to lord it over the rest of us about where to buy your summer home since your main residence is all paid for.

by Anonymousreply 184January 25, 2019 6:50 PM

Piffle r184. The Darfur Orphan would never hang around with the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 185January 25, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote]Pelosi is going to have to add Trump to her disclosure forms where it asks for a list of assets she owns.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Best quote ever!!

by Anonymousreply 186January 25, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote] Pelosi is going to have to add Trump to her disclosure forms where it asks for a list of assets she owns.

LMAO!! I want this on my tombstone

by Anonymousreply 187January 25, 2019 6:55 PM

Amazing how Pelosi went from an out of touch old has-been to a rock star in the minds of critics everywhere. She still has the scary googly eyes. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 188January 25, 2019 6:59 PM

Sweet, delicious Freeper tears:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 25, 2019 7:02 PM

Taste so bitter. And so sweet. I could drink a case of you, and I’d still be on my feet.

by Anonymousreply 190January 25, 2019 7:07 PM

Who's your Granny?!

by Anonymousreply 191January 25, 2019 7:18 PM

Matt Walsh: This whole shutdown thing reminds me of that scene in the Princess Bride when the Spaniard helps Wesley climb up the cliff then gives him time to rest then has a sword fight and loses. Republicans waited for Dems to be in power before they had the wall fight and then they lost.

by Anonymousreply 192January 25, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote]Republicans waited for Dems to be in power before they had the wall fight and then they lost.

Exactly. Republicans and Trump had the last two years to build their wall. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 193January 25, 2019 7:22 PM

Look at that loony conspiracy theory in r189. "The democrats have a plan to dilute conservative voters with floods of third world immigrants."

So ironic. It's Republican governments (state and sometimes even federal) suppressing and gerrymandering for decades, but the Deplorables are obsessed with non-existent Democratic voter fraud.

by Anonymousreply 194January 25, 2019 7:42 PM

[quote]He will just do it again in three weeks when that funding runs out.

Really? Pull this on the country all over again, after one horrific, totally fucked up episode? Yeah, he will if we wants to forever bury himself and the Republican Party forever.

by Anonymousreply 195January 25, 2019 7:44 PM

R195 I hope he does!

by Anonymousreply 196January 25, 2019 7:44 PM

Such a fabulous day it's been!

by Anonymousreply 197January 25, 2019 7:46 PM

Harrumph. You are all so negative. Today was a major victory for the President.

by Anonymousreply 198January 25, 2019 7:50 PM

Seriously, how will SmellyAnne spin this? I mean, if like the groundhog she finally comes out of her hole?

I guess the better question is, how will the huckabeast spin it? Threats for what's coming at the end of the three weeks?

by Anonymousreply 199January 25, 2019 7:53 PM

Can't believe I started that first thread almost a week before Christmas, and now, deep into the THIRD thread, we're not even sure it's definitely over yet.

by Anonymousreply 200January 25, 2019 7:54 PM

Fuck you all, no way I'm going to miss my big time in the SOTU spotlight!!!

by Anonymousreply 201January 25, 2019 7:57 PM

Three weeks my ass. He's hoping it will all go away

by Anonymousreply 202January 25, 2019 7:58 PM

Pelosi did it. She got Cheeto to his knees. He is not just criminal idiot and loser, he is also stupid fat negotiator with no stamina. Pelosi will slap his face without even really trying.

by Anonymousreply 203January 25, 2019 8:05 PM

Rogue Melania 🍸 🍸 🍸 @RogueFirstLady Everyone hiding now as The Donald watch news coverage of him humiliation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 25, 2019 8:12 PM

Trump staffers applauded his speech today as if it was a victory. Even the deplorables know now that their savior is a weakling.

by Anonymousreply 205January 25, 2019 8:20 PM

Bookmark this thread for Feb. 15...

by Anonymousreply 206January 25, 2019 8:21 PM

Daddy is getting tired of that nasty Nancy's obstructive attitude. But never fear, I'll convince him to abdicate this weekend - I think it's best for him to let me take over for him.

Jared's too secret clearance allows him to step in to negotiate our wall, and to secure personal loan welfare for all those delinquent federal workers who really should have done better with their personal finances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 25, 2019 8:24 PM

What a CUCK

by Anonymousreply 208January 25, 2019 8:24 PM

SmellyAnne has formed a new tactic-answer questions with questions to the questioner.

by Anonymousreply 209January 25, 2019 8:45 PM

Hey, I thought the shutdown was so the FBI could put Hillary and Obama in prison for something.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 210January 25, 2019 8:49 PM

Conservatives to Trump: You caved!

Conservatives had a quick message for President Donald Trump after he announced a deal to end the government shutdown without funds for his border wall: You caved!

"Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States," tweeted conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

"Nancy Pelosi is alpha," tweeted conservative film maker Mike Cernovich.

And right wing commentator Michael Malice opined: "Apparently a wall isn't as good as a cave."

Conservative outlets, from the Drudge Report to Breitbart News, also blasted headlines in dramatic font declaring Trump caved with "NO WALL."

The response came like clockwork, only minutes after Trump announced the deal to reopen the government for three weeks with no guarantee of wall funds. It was unsurprising considering conservative figures including Coulter were some of the initial instigators who prodded Trump to shut down the government to get his wall.

After the White House revealed in December it could back off from Trump's demands for over $5 billion in border wall funding to avoid a shutdown, Coulter mocked the president on Twitter, leading to a feud in which Trump unfollowed one of his biggest campaign supporters.

"The chant wasn't 'SIGN A BILL WITH B.S. PROMISES ABOUT "BORDER SECURITY" AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, GUARANTEED TO FAIL!' It was "BUILD A WALL!" Coulter tweeted in December.

During a March interview with The New York Times' Frank Bruni, Coulter said Trump should feel the "fear of God" if he doesn't build the wall, arguing his supporters would leave him en masse unless he fulfills his campaign promise.

"He could sell Ivanka Trump merchandise from the Oval Office if he would just build the wall," Coulter said. "If he doesn't change course, no, they're never coming back."

Trump announced the deal with Democrats during an address in the Rose Garden on Friday afternoon, where he continued to emphasize the need for physical barriers on the border. The deal will reopen the government only until Feb. 15, after which Trump said he would reshutter the government or declare a national emergency if he does not secure funding for the wall by then.

But Trump's description of what kind of wall he wants has evolved in a notable concession to his critics. Trump said Friday that natural barriers already provide ample protection in some parts of the border, and that resources for border control should also focus on ports of entry and technology developments beyond a physical barrier.

"The walls that we are building are not medieval walls. They are smart walls designed to meet the needs of front-line border agents and are operationally effective," Trump said. "We do not need 2,000 miles of concrete wall from sea to shining sea, we never did, we never proposed that."

He did propose that, however. Many times. And it was what many of his most ardent conservative followers called on him to do. But with the government shutdown stretching past a month and vital government services reaching a breaking point, the president apparently calculated that he had little choice but to concede. Trump's approval rating also suffered from the standoff, with The Associated Press showing about 60 percent of Americans blaming Trump for the shutdown.

But Malice didn't think conceding to Democrats was likely to help Trump among his most core base.

"Jeb Bush is laughing so hard rn that he's about to choke on his own puke," Malice tweeted.

by Anonymousreply 211January 25, 2019 8:57 PM

Caving to this pressure from the fringe Right is why he got his dick stuck in a trap the first time. Will he make the same stupid mistake again, in three weeks? Maybe!

by Anonymousreply 212January 25, 2019 9:18 PM

So now he can go to FL to play golf. Fuck this fat fuck!

by Anonymousreply 213January 25, 2019 9:38 PM

People suffered for over a month for nothing. What a tiny mushroom dick!

by Anonymousreply 214January 25, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote]So now he can go to FL to play golf.

Send him to Mammoth Cave instead.

by Anonymousreply 215January 25, 2019 9:50 PM

More Freeper tears:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216January 25, 2019 9:56 PM

Don't forget the state of the union, r213. He (probably) gets to do that too!

The State of the Union? It's the best union, because I'm in charge of it.

by Anonymousreply 217January 25, 2019 9:56 PM

Caught between the political savvy of Nancy Pelosi and the wrath of Ann Coulter the president secured not a penny for his wall.

by Anonymousreply 218January 25, 2019 10:01 PM

[quote]Caught between the political savvy of Nancy Pelosi and the wrath of Ann Coulter the president secured not a penny for his wall.

NOT the kind of three way he was thinking of.

by Anonymousreply 219January 25, 2019 10:03 PM

Pelosi has said he can’t give the SOTU address on Tuesday, that it’s “not planned.” He can give it when she’s ready to let him give it, and not before.

by Anonymousreply 220January 25, 2019 10:10 PM

I had a feeling he'd cave once the airports started shutting down.

by Anonymousreply 221January 25, 2019 10:19 PM

LOVE HER

by Anonymousreply 222January 25, 2019 10:19 PM

She should plan SOTU for February 18 pending opening of government

by Anonymousreply 223January 25, 2019 10:26 PM

Trump looked like a defeated old man on the bus with smelly hair and sour disposition.

by Anonymousreply 224January 25, 2019 10:39 PM

Queen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 25, 2019 10:44 PM

He only did this so he can have his SOTU address. The deplorables will forget all about this come 2020. And just to be clear - so Colter and Limbaugh are this admin's Dick Cheney? No one deserves that.

by Anonymousreply 226January 25, 2019 10:59 PM

I'm fine with having President Nancy when Trump and Pence go to prison.

by Anonymousreply 227January 25, 2019 11:03 PM

She's really stepped up her fashion game, R227, I am more than fine having that bad ass bitch in charge.

by Anonymousreply 228January 25, 2019 11:13 PM

When is Pence going to be implicated in something??? I want it to be so, but worry he was picked for VP because he had no ties to any of this.

by Anonymousreply 229January 25, 2019 11:15 PM

I don’t think Trump will ever threaten to shut down the government again. He has absolutely nothing to gain. He tried it, lost and went down HARD.

by Anonymousreply 230January 25, 2019 11:31 PM

I said this weeks ago: Nancy has the biggest dick in DC right now.

by Anonymousreply 231January 25, 2019 11:36 PM

Honey, she has the ONLY dick in DC!

by Anonymousreply 232January 25, 2019 11:41 PM

Nancy has both GLAMMA and MISTEEK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 25, 2019 11:45 PM

Pence may not have had ties when he was picked R229, but he certainly did when he led the transition, and went on TV and repeated the Flynn false story (i.e. everyone in Trump world had been deceived by Flynn).

by Anonymousreply 234January 25, 2019 11:56 PM

I knew that this news coverage would get to him. Remember... Trump has yet to sign the bill.

Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I wish people would read or listen to my words on the Border Wall. This was in no way a concession. It was taking care of millions of people who were getting badly hurt by the Shutdown with the understanding that in 21 days, if no deal is done, it’s off to the races!

by Anonymousreply 235January 26, 2019 12:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 26, 2019 12:45 AM

Why doesn’t he just tweet that directly to Mann Coulter?

by Anonymousreply 237January 26, 2019 12:45 AM

Huh? It was not a concession but was done to end the suffering that he unnecessarily caused? Fuckwad hope he dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 238January 26, 2019 12:48 AM

As per breaking news alert, the bill is signed.

Which makes me realize how few bills it seems like Trump has signed.

by Anonymousreply 239January 26, 2019 1:26 AM

He’s a loser, first, last and always...

by Anonymousreply 240January 26, 2019 1:27 AM

And, he went home with NOTHING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 26, 2019 1:55 AM

I like Jkm Acosta saying it was Alice in Wonderland at the WH. He knows exactly hit to kick Kellyanne in the cooch.

by Anonymousreply 242January 26, 2019 2:19 AM

r241 from the back he looks like Louie Anderson. LOL

by Anonymousreply 243January 26, 2019 2:21 AM

He's broken and defeated. Because he is a narcissistic buffoon, he got owned by Pelosi who is far more experienced and smarter than he is. If he is so stupid as to go down this path again in three weeks, please, by all means, let him. And I say that as one of the affected federal workers who is pissed as hell that I had to miss paychecks for this shit.

The outcome will be no better -- and a lot worse -- if he shuts down the government again. Plus, it will end the same way: with scenes of federal workers getting provisions from food banks and with the airports starting to close one-by-one. And he will capitulate once more. He had no plan for how this would end well for him and he refused to see how awful a strategy it was -- especially without a winning end-game.

by Anonymousreply 244January 26, 2019 2:42 AM

National Emergency. There IS a national emergency underway. President Donald J Trump.

by Anonymousreply 245January 26, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]He's broken and defeated. Because he is a narcissistic buffoon, he got owned by Pelosi who is far more experienced and smarter than he is.

While that may be true I'll give him this, (and not because I'm a supporter), but this isn't the time to gloat. Trump has done very deep damage to this nation and to individuals with his pseudo machismo attitude. In my opinion, what must be hammered home to him and the rest of the Republicans is that we've had enough. He's got to go. There is NOTHING that he can do to ever redeem himself except to just leave.

by Anonymousreply 246January 26, 2019 2:47 AM

I truly believe Trump either will resign or not run for re-election.

Then watch for Nikki Haley to win the Repug nomination for the POTUS. Klobuchar v. Haley

by Anonymousreply 247January 26, 2019 3:15 AM

Awww, look at his wee pink handie in the photo at R241. It's the wee hand of a LOSER.

by Anonymousreply 248January 26, 2019 3:23 AM

It’s incredible that Republicans are STILL hanging on to Trump. Why do they want to keep going through shameful incompetence? Are they annoying subs hooked on meth? Addicts!

by Anonymousreply 249January 26, 2019 4:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250January 26, 2019 5:28 AM

I hope that Speaker Pelosi does withhold the SOTU until after the 3 weeks have passed, and If he carries out his threat to bypass congress on his wall that she denies it until after the matter is resolved by congress or the law courts.

Also, what's the shit with him coming out to make his announcement, that he "Proudly" announces that the shut down is over. What does he have to be proud about? Nothing was accomplished by this act.

by Anonymousreply 251January 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Trump (and Kellyanne btw) are playing the children’s game of I know you are but what am I? Or, I am proud to announce when it’s really a failure. Normally people have shame but those two fuckfaces will lie and lie to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 252January 26, 2019 5:43 AM

Now that the freshman class understands how this is done and unity is strength, they will be even less inclined to put up with his bullshit.

They know pelosi has that fool's number and she is going to roll him. All they have to do is stand there and watch.

by Anonymousreply 253January 26, 2019 5:52 AM

This whole shutdown was about funding the wall. In an effort to discourage refugees entering at the appropriate refugees ports of entry, the US Government took children from their families and detained them in camps. They did not keep accurate documentation and many children have been permanently been separated from families.

We should stop calling them "detained" and start calling them what they are. Kidnap victims. The US kidnapped thousands of kids, not for ransom, but to punish their families.

Can you imagine what would have happened if Mexico took American children away from their parents at the border, perhaps in retaliation? The uproar would be heard in space. We would have invaded with armed forces. This is what it's come to. Trump is a kidnapper, his followers are Nazis. What else do you call people who separate families, for whatever reason?

by Anonymousreply 254January 26, 2019 3:14 PM

R253, I am glad the propaganda about not voting for Nancy has given way to freshman awe. That's how it is done!

by Anonymousreply 255January 26, 2019 3:20 PM

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the White House right now. Why haven’t there been any of those dishy articles from an inside talking about trump throwing things and screaming at people?

by Anonymousreply 256January 26, 2019 3:20 PM

[quote]It’s incredible that Republicans are STILL hanging on to Trump. Why do they want to keep going through shameful incompetence?

Because they know that no one will ever hold them accountable for their roles in this debacle.

by Anonymousreply 257January 26, 2019 3:20 PM

^^^insider

by Anonymousreply 258January 26, 2019 3:21 PM

R251, he does that because it’s a move straight out of Roy Cohn Mind Fucks 101. Trump learned to do that in the 70’s when they lost their case with the Fed regarding discrimination against blacks in their housing project. That was the first time Trump learned that you just go out to the media, call a loss a win, and it mitigates some of the damage.

R256, that’s because there’s almost no one left. Think about it. Half of who is around him now are family. There aren’t as many to leak, and KAC can’t be too obvious now that she can’t deflect blame on dozens of other people, see?

by Anonymousreply 259January 26, 2019 3:31 PM

Part of what will come out during the next three weeks is an explicit prohibition on the use of any federal funds for any construction of any fence, barrier or wall without authorization by Congress.

We’ve seen this movie before. In the early 1980s, Congress passed the Boland Amendment that stopped the-then Administration from funding the Contras in Nicaragua. The impeachable offenses under Iran Contra (and jesus, there was a shit load, had Congress pursued them) was the use of any funds no matter how raised, to support the Contras in explicit violation of the Will of Congress.

Only Congress can authorize the use of funds. Trump is getting his adice from the *FOREIGN OWNED* Fox News (Australian, Saudi) . His own advisers are untrustworthy, “yes men” who fear tellilng him what he doesn’t want to hear. Nobody wants to be the guy to tell him that House Appropropriations and House Defense will shut down any “declaration of emergency” bullshit and terminate any funding. This isn’t an empire, he isn’t King and he doesn’t get to do what he wants.

When Congress passes this Amendment - and it will, despite Turtle’s attempts to interfere - means every single member of Trump’s inner circle that has been telling him to declare a national emergency and engage in illegal maneuvers will be subject to federal investigation. Hi, Stephen Miller! Ready to join Manafort in prison?

Now is the time to tie the Toddler’s hands to the chair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 26, 2019 3:46 PM

Thanks r260

by Anonymousreply 261January 26, 2019 3:52 PM

@PeterKingCBS

Members of the machinists Union getting ready to rally for back pay for contractors near the Kennedy space Center. #shutdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 26, 2019 4:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263January 26, 2019 4:12 PM

I can’t breathe. The humiliation is so awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 26, 2019 4:16 PM

This whole episode now seems like another instance of Putin's Operation Chaos. Why would Trump suddenly turn on a dime and refuse to sign a bill he'd already agreed on just because a couple of over the hill pundits told him not to? And why would Mitch McConnell block Congress from sending Trump a bill, not only preventing Trump from having the opportunity to change his mind but from Congress having a rightful shot at overriding a veto?

I'm tired of being told that Republican politicians do things because they're afraid of their base. That's NOT who they're afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 265January 26, 2019 4:22 PM

S&P Global Ratings said late Friday that the shutdown cost "is likely worse than what we had previously expected."

Based on their analysis, "the US economy lost at least $6 billion ... larger than the $5.7 billion that the White House requested for the border wall," it said in a statement.

by Anonymousreply 266January 26, 2019 4:57 PM

Hello IRS poster! I'm thinking of you and wishing you well. you hung in there!

by Anonymousreply 267January 26, 2019 5:12 PM

R267

by Anonymousreply 268January 26, 2019 5:14 PM

House Dems want to give federal workers a pay raise. 👍🏾

by Anonymousreply 269January 26, 2019 5:16 PM

I don’t know if Putin ordered the shutdown. Trump is really thin skinned and he threw a tantrum when Coulter and Limbaugh criticized him. MCconnell went along with his game, but ultimately they both caved.

by Anonymousreply 270January 26, 2019 5:17 PM

All for nothing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271January 26, 2019 5:26 PM

This debacle has also taught federal workers how to end a shutdown. Call in sick especially TSA.

by Anonymousreply 272January 26, 2019 5:32 PM

[quote]Nobody wants to be the guy to tell him that House Appropropriations and House Defense will shut down any “declaration of emergency” bullshit and terminate any funding.

Nancy has the “power of the purse”, and she’ll be glad to tell Dump that he’s not getting one dime.

by Anonymousreply 273January 26, 2019 5:39 PM

The wall is still the subject of Trump’s Twitter feed today. He must see it as his only 2020 campaign issue.

by Anonymousreply 274January 26, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote]All for nothing

Yep. That’s what Trump’s supporters have gotten in return for their vote. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 275January 26, 2019 5:43 PM

I hope this makes him lose the election!

by Anonymousreply 276January 26, 2019 5:44 PM

He’s handed any number of potential opponents their leading weapon against him in the republican primary in 2020:

1. A return to the US Constitution 2. A return to Law and Order 3. A return to US AUTHORITY with *No foreign inflluence”

Look for a senior, recently retired 3 star or 4 star general to announce in the near future he’s running against Trump. If he lives in Florida - Trump is *fucked*

by Anonymousreply 277January 26, 2019 5:44 PM

[quote]The wall is still the subject of Trump’s Twitter feed today. He must see it as his only 2020 campaign issue.

It's the bad press that's really getting under his skin.

by Anonymousreply 278January 26, 2019 5:52 PM

Agree. He is not strategic. He will declare a national narcissist emergency in three weeks just to think he won.

by Anonymousreply 279January 26, 2019 6:01 PM

A VERY good read;

Trump tries to bounce back after horrible day damages presidency

This could be Nancy's opportunity to finish him and bring relief to the entire world!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 26, 2019 6:12 PM

I alone can nix it.

by Anonymousreply 281January 26, 2019 6:46 PM

Trump's head has been cut off, and he doesn't even realize he's bleeding.

by Anonymousreply 282January 26, 2019 6:48 PM

Jack up taxes on the wealthy to pay for the loss revenue. Fuck the Republican Donors who really did this will the Chetolini.

by Anonymousreply 283January 26, 2019 7:32 PM

Just wait until April when the majority of Americans realize that the 2017 Rethuglican tax scam was a expensive gift to the 1% that is being paid for by the rest of us. They were quite gleeful about the fact that people wouldn't realize the effect on their taxes until after the mid-terms. That didn't work out so well, since they lost the House anyway.

Taxes and the shutdown, plus the drain on the economy should help to further damage whatever is left of the Repukes.

by Anonymousreply 284January 26, 2019 7:41 PM

Brick him up!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 26, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote]I’d love to be a fly on the wall

Enough with the wall already.

by Anonymousreply 286January 26, 2019 8:05 PM

Finish him!!!

by Anonymousreply 287January 26, 2019 9:59 PM

So, has anyone else noticed a marked change in the coverage of this event today? It seemed to happen about a little after 12PM/ET. The coverage is becoming more "pro" Trump and/or there are articles that are totally away from what is happening. For ex; The gal received a large sum of money and an apology from some UK news outlet.

I'm not one for conspiracies but it seems to me that there are people making calls to the media demanding that they divert and change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 288January 26, 2019 11:05 PM

Even CNN is running BS like was this a great move by Trump? Hannity saying don’t underestimate his determination to get a wall etc. So many enablers - this was a major failure by Trump. I don’t think Republicans will let him do it again. They will forge some compromise of fencing and security etc. The wall is not physically possible because of terrain, land rights, common sense.

by Anonymousreply 289January 27, 2019 12:30 AM

R286. if he were a fly on the sofa, SmellyAnne would park her nasty twat on him

by Anonymousreply 290January 27, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote]Nancy has the “power of the purse”

And you just know she has a FAAABULOUS one!

by Anonymousreply 291January 27, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote] R102: I live in Texas and most of the people I went to school with (and even several of my in-laws) will vote straight ticket Republican for no other reason than "abortion".

I don’t doubt you, but Texas was close, IIRC, in the 2016 election. Lots of states were.

by Anonymousreply 292January 27, 2019 3:44 AM

These days, "close" ain't good enough.

by Anonymousreply 293January 27, 2019 6:02 AM

Washington Post: ‘Pelosi does not mess around’: Democratic speaker emerges triumphant from shutdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 27, 2019 3:00 PM

Thanks for posting a headline for the link, R294.

by Anonymousreply 295January 27, 2019 3:39 PM

You're welcome, r295. I've been trying to make sure to do that.

by Anonymousreply 296January 27, 2019 3:41 PM

R277 is there anyone in particular you’re thinking of?

by Anonymousreply 297January 27, 2019 3:51 PM

There is zero humanity---as in "human species"---to Pence, not in appearance, behaviors, facial expressions, verbiage, intonations, or stated thoughts.

He appears a rigidly self-controlled cypher, with still waters not running deep, but hiding deep.

by Anonymousreply 298January 27, 2019 4:02 PM

Not as fabulous as those owned by the Senatrice and Tuppence, r291.

by Anonymousreply 299January 27, 2019 4:03 PM

I fear that Republicans will start another shutdown that does not include TSA and IRS. They learned not to include those agencies in shutdowns just as they excluded DoD in this one.

by Anonymousreply 300January 27, 2019 4:06 PM

R300, I was just going to write that.

This shut-up only lasts three weeks. Then Trump will do something funky again.

I think Nancy (I call her Nancy.) will hold the SOTU address until this is settled. I mean, after three weeks. Even longer, maybe, but not so long that she looks like a jerk. Like Trump looks now.

by Anonymousreply 301January 27, 2019 4:12 PM

Does Miss Lindsay stand by her statement that Trump is finished because he could not get wall funding? Is she into a new bottle of poppers because she has the vapors? I do declare victory.

by Anonymousreply 302January 27, 2019 4:46 PM

They're kidding with this? This can only be republican strategists trying to repair the damage that was done. The country couldn't possibly tolerate another government shut down;

Aide says Trump OK with second shutdown over border spat

Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney says President Donald Trump is prepared for another government shutdown if Congress won't work with him to secure the southern border

President Donald Trump is prepared to shut down the government again or declare a national emergency if Congress won't work with him to secure the U.S.-Mexico border, the White House said Sunday.

The president's standoff with Democrats on Capitol Hill is far from over and the clock is ticking — the spending bill Trump signed on Friday funds the government agencies that had been shut down only until Feb. 15.

White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told CBS' "Face the Nation" that Trump's goal is was to work with Congress.

"What he wants to do is fix this the way that things are supposed to get fixed with our government which is through legislation," Mulvaney said.

Mulvaney said the president didn't want another shutdown, but he would do it if necessary.

"Keep in mind he's willing to do whatever it takes to secure the border," he said.

The record 35-day federal shutdown ended when Trump gave in to mounting pressure, retreating from his demand that Congress commit $5.7 billion for U.S.-Mexico border wall before federal agencies could resume work. The bill he signed did not provide the money Trump wanted for a barrier, which Pelosi has called "immoral" and has insisted Congress will not finance.

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York, a member of the Democratic leadership in the House, said that a long wall would be ineffective and a waste of taxpayers' dollars.

"That's a 5th century solution to a 21st century problem," Jeffries told NBC's "Meet the Press." 'What we want to support over the next few weeks is 21st century border security."

Jeffries said Democrats are willing to invest in additional infrastructure, especially at legal ports of entry where the majority of drugs come into the country. "We're willing to invest in personnel. We're willing to invest in additional technology. ... In the past, we have supported enhanced fencing and I think that's something that's reasonable that should be on the table," he said.

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he thinks a compromise is possible.

"I think the American people are tired of watching the government where people get locked down for no reason except maybe political reasons," Blunt said, adding that Trump has changed his demands on border security as he's learned more about the problem.

"The president went from talking about a wall along the entire southern border at one point during the campaign ... to let's have barriers where they work and let's have something else where barriers wouldn't work as well," Blunt said.

Mulvaney told "Fox News Sunday" that Trump agreed to temporarily end the shutdown because some Democrats have stepped forward, publicly and privately, to say they agree with Trump's plan to better secure the border. Mulvaney said they told Trump they couldn't split with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, and work with the White House if the government remained closed.

"Everybody wants to look at this and say the president lost," Mulvaney said. "We're still in the middle of negotiations."

Mulvaney said the president is not seeking a "2,000-mile sea to shining sea" wall. The White House has identified 17 priorities for building barriers to discourage illegal crossings. "It's about 243 miles," he said. "It's the wall, where we need it the most and where we need it the quickest."

"At the end of the day, the president is going to secure the border one way or another."

by Anonymousreply 303January 27, 2019 5:29 PM

Whatever. That is just a bunch of hot air. The shutdown was a failure and it won’t happen again. He will huff and puff but ultimately he will sign a bill that includes fencing and other sane measures for border security.

by Anonymousreply 304January 27, 2019 5:40 PM

He'll still call it a wall.

by Anonymousreply 305January 27, 2019 5:53 PM

Exactly. He’ll say we have our wall which is a combination of fencing and more agents etc. The entire imaginary wall effort is a giant waste of time and taxpayer money.

by Anonymousreply 306January 27, 2019 6:00 PM

I'm expecting the phrase "virtual wall" when he gets extra agents and drones.

You know. Exactly what they gave him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 307January 27, 2019 6:19 PM

In my opinion, Democrats should seize the moment here and release a comprehensive border security proposal (excluding a wall) that will suck the air out on the debate. While Republicans are still chasing their tails over such a report Democrats should begin intensive discussions about fixing healthcare. Of course everything would be televised for all Americans to see and pundits would refer to their work quite often.

by Anonymousreply 308January 27, 2019 6:29 PM

Well, he can say that air traffic control, TSA and IRS have to work during the shut down but how many of those people do you think will report after getting only one paycheck? They will he catching up on past due bills from the past pointless shutdown.

The agencies shut down because they weren't funded. You can't pick and choose what agencies to shut.

No, he won't get shit this time, either. Then he will declare a national emergency, it will go straight to court and he will still get nothing.

I am hoping that on Feb 14, another sealed indictment is handed down and we have a predawn no knock FBI raid on chinless jr.

That will certainly send him over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 309January 27, 2019 6:30 PM

Isn't it "Sea to SHINEY sea"?

by Anonymousreply 310January 27, 2019 9:37 PM

Toady Mulvaney contradicted himself on talk shows today - said Trump wants a wall but also said parts will just be fencing.

by Anonymousreply 311January 28, 2019 12:46 AM

I still don’t know what they want:

Mulvaney said the president is not seeking a “2,000-mile sea to shining sea” wall. The White House has identified 17 priorities for building barriers to discourage illegal crossings. “It’s about 243 miles,” he said. “It’s the wall, where we need it the most and where we need it the quickest.”

by Anonymousreply 312January 28, 2019 12:50 AM

Pelosi and Trump walk into a bar. The bartender says "What'll it be?"

Trump says, "Harvey Wallbanger"

Pelosi says, "Donny Ballhanger"

by Anonymousreply 313January 28, 2019 1:00 AM

243 miles of barriers! 243 miles of barriers!

by Anonymousreply 314January 28, 2019 1:02 AM

I always fantasized about living in a house with a white picket fence around it. Guess I'll have to settle for a country instead.

by Anonymousreply 315January 28, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]President Donald Trump is prepared to shut down the government again

He can only shut it down if the Congress can’t override his veto of a spending bill. There might be enough Republican Senators who defect and vote against him this time.

by Anonymousreply 316January 28, 2019 1:53 AM

This is interesting to watch -- unless you are a fed worker...

by Anonymousreply 317January 28, 2019 1:55 AM

R316, you must mean the Emergency bill? Because a spending bill will never pass the House.

Trump thought he’d get to make the State of the Union address in the House within the next three weeks, but I don’t think so. Nancy will hold off on that until the government is opened for the year.

by Anonymousreply 318January 28, 2019 2:13 AM

There apparently are some bills with bipartisan support that would effectively end any future furloughs of federal workers even if the appropriations bills have not been passed by Congress and signed by the president.

by Anonymousreply 319January 28, 2019 2:33 AM

The threat of another shutdown is just that ... another threat that will go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 320January 28, 2019 2:41 AM

True r120 -- Trump has the attention span of an eggplant.

by Anonymousreply 321January 28, 2019 2:45 AM

R319, I don’t like that. I’d be afraid that we’d lose all our leverage. I’d prefer a bill to eliminate this whole business and authorize a permanent continuing resolution unless an overriding Bill is passed.

by Anonymousreply 322January 28, 2019 3:23 AM

@LosFelizDaycare

The wonderful thing about working with toddlers is they expand your belief systems with questions like, “but why is nap time?” and “shouldn’t the president be smarter than me is?” They’re champions of progressive thought.

by Anonymousreply 323January 28, 2019 4:56 AM

All in all, Dotard's just another prick going on about The Wall.

by Anonymousreply 324January 28, 2019 5:02 AM

Yeah. No one reads his Tweets but the same moronic group of 100,000.

by Anonymousreply 325January 28, 2019 5:08 AM

This time, I think the airport workers would not be fooled again and walk out almost immediately.

by Anonymousreply 326January 28, 2019 5:29 AM

R326, If they did walk out, could they get fired? I'm guessing not, because it would be difficult or impossible to hire replacements with a shutdown going on. But no one quote me on that.

by Anonymousreply 327January 28, 2019 5:51 AM

Both congressional and White House funding should be contingent on adopted appropriations

by Anonymousreply 328January 28, 2019 10:55 AM

Yay to r233!

by Anonymousreply 329January 28, 2019 12:22 PM

Dump cost the US economy $11 billion with his 35 day shutdown, which is about double the $5.7 billion he threw his temper tantrum for!

by Anonymousreply 330January 28, 2019 6:42 PM

Washington Post is reporting that IRS has 5 million letters to reply and it's gonna take 12 -18 months to get back to normal operations! They are also behind in training new staff.

FUCK YOU ORANGE TURD!

by Anonymousreply 331January 28, 2019 7:40 PM

No refund for you!

by Anonymousreply 332January 28, 2019 7:46 PM

Does Trump even have a strategy?

by Anonymousreply 333January 28, 2019 7:50 PM

Trump has never had a strategy, which is why all of the competent people on staff have left.

by Anonymousreply 334January 28, 2019 8:32 PM

Isn't that why millions voted for him? They were fed up with so many ineffectual politicians. You know, the ones those same people keep re-electing to office. Fucking deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 335January 28, 2019 8:42 PM

R332, first, Trump consults with himself. He has a big brain and is really brilliant. He has one of the greatest memories of all time. He knows more than the generals, and more about technology than virtually everybody. Then he makes a decision based on what his gut tells him.

Since he does no reading, and doesn’t listen to his briefs and cancelled them, his gut is telling him what to do based on nothing. Just ignorance and hubris.

He does do whatever Fox and Putin tells him to do, apparently. Thank God we elected the newsreaders on Fox. Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 336January 28, 2019 8:46 PM

That post makes sense to me but perhaps I need to know more. They say that elephants never forget so at the very least he has a good memory.

by Anonymousreply 337January 28, 2019 8:49 PM

[quote] R335: Isn't that why millions voted for him? They were fed up with so many ineffectual politicians. You know, the ones those same people keep re-electing to office. Fucking deplorable.

What I wonder about, is what does the electorate really want or expect? They want small government, but also want government to jump into the medical insurance market, for them. They also want good infrastructure, but don’t want to pay for it. They want to go back to one-earner families, then approve of tax cuts.

Compared to the other first world countries, we’re doing just as well. Different, but doing well.

We need a charismatic leader who will say that government isn’t the enemy. Government is “We, the People”. And the People really need educating.

by Anonymousreply 338January 28, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote]We need a charismatic leader who will say that government isn’t the enemy. Government is “We, the People”. And the People really need educating.

KAMALA! KAMALA! KAMALA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 339January 28, 2019 8:54 PM

@CBSLA

#BREAKING Several people in custody after reported panga boat washed up in Huntington Beach, police say; Homeland Security on scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340January 28, 2019 10:21 PM

Presenting fake news to the mad king

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341January 28, 2019 11:57 PM

What is a panga boat?

by Anonymousreply 342January 29, 2019 4:12 PM

Piles of poop, toilet paper 'flowers' greet rangers as parks reopen after government shutdown.

[quote]Former Joshua Tree Supt. Curt Sauer decried the destruction at the park along with dozens of other people at a rally over the weekend. He estimated it could take centuries for the park’s namesake trees and other sensitive vegetation to recover from damage inflicted during the shutdown. Some trees appear to have been chopped down, but Land said rangers don’t know how many were harmed or how the destruction was caused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343January 30, 2019 8:17 PM

Dump is THE WORST "President" in all of American history!

There has to be retribution and consequences for all the damage he has inflicted on our country. There has to be!

by Anonymousreply 344January 30, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote]What is a panga boat?

Pangas are just small open boats with outboard motors on the back. Sometimes the term is used specifically for rubber rafts with outboard motors, but in can mean any small open boat.

by Anonymousreply 345January 30, 2019 8:25 PM

Those poor park rangers deserve hazard pay in addition to whatever back pay they're getting. People are horrific.

by Anonymousreply 346January 30, 2019 8:46 PM

I can't believe people actually go and destroy the trees. who the fuck does that? fucking assholes.

by Anonymousreply 347January 30, 2019 10:04 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing it's the same people who go on killing the remainder of an endangered species, take pics with them and post them to SM.

by Anonymousreply 348January 30, 2019 10:43 PM

Psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 349January 31, 2019 6:20 AM

Republicans really don't want a shutdown....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350January 31, 2019 4:58 PM

... but democrats are willing to fund some "new infrastructure"....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351January 31, 2019 4:59 PM

Because they were rightly blamed for the last one and the stench will linger well into next year.

Turtle doesn't want another shutdown but he isn't going to bring any votes to the floor to override the veto because he's a chicken shit.

The votes to overrides are there. He just doesn't want to do his job.

by Anonymousreply 352January 31, 2019 5:06 PM

Donnie Darko wants to declare a national emergency to distract from the upcoming Mueller report.

by Anonymousreply 353January 31, 2019 6:18 PM

How long until Cohen Day?

by Anonymousreply 354January 31, 2019 6:51 PM

A week and a day, r354

by Anonymousreply 355January 31, 2019 6:55 PM

Thank you

by Anonymousreply 356January 31, 2019 6:57 PM

It is dangerous to allow this megalomaniac to declare a national emergency for political purposes, and order the military to operate on the Wall, or anywhere, actually. It disrespects the Constitutional role that the House has the sole responsibility to allocate funds for government spending. It’s an egregious power grab from a guy who made the arrest of his political opponents a campaign promise.

One of the things Hitler did as Chancellor was to create a national holiday (I think it was German Labor Day). The following day, he abolished the Union.

Many are familiar with the burning of the Reichstag, the German Parliament building. The real cause was never identified, but Hitler scapegoated the Communists and Jews. In the following days, Parlement passed the “enabling act”, giving Hitler dictatorial powers.

So, my point being that the collapse of Democracy in Germany was gradual, at first, until it was too late to object.

by Anonymousreply 357January 31, 2019 7:36 PM

[quote]Donnie Darko

Donnie Dorko.

by Anonymousreply 358January 31, 2019 7:48 PM

[quote]Because they were rightly blamed for the last one and the stench will linger well into next year.

Interestingly they didn't, per se, blame the Republicans, although you can be forgiven for thinking they did.

The polls blamed Trump by 54%, Democrats by 36% and the Republicans by about 10%. So people weren't blaming the Republicans, just Trump.

But in a sign of how much the republican party has glommed onto Trump, they are intensely worried about his polling despite the fact that they escaped from it clean as a party.

by Anonymousreply 359January 31, 2019 8:08 PM

I’m counting on Speaker Pelosi to use parliamentary procedure to redirect any bill or amendment for a “wall” back through Ways and Means and use her power as Speaker to require direct, obligated funding that does not increase the debt. In essence, anything related to Trump’s pork barrel project cannot increase the debt or federal deficit, cannot borrow money or use budget tricks. -and must directly raise money through tax increases to pay for it.

So, “Build the Wall” means “RAISE YOUR TAXES”. That should be *very very popular* with his base.

by Anonymousreply 360January 31, 2019 8:26 PM

Walls are privately closing in on Trump. The photo op today was a big red flag.

by Anonymousreply 361January 31, 2019 11:58 PM

He looked awful

by Anonymousreply 362February 1, 2019 12:21 AM

^^^^^^ You mean like he normally looks?

by Anonymousreply 363February 1, 2019 12:55 AM

Maybe he will get so fat he will float away and become impaled on a cell tower, collapsing into a smoldering heap.

by Anonymousreply 364February 1, 2019 12:58 AM

His new video on the wall, the defensive posts, the even greater incompetence. Do Mitch or Lindsay even talk to him with Don Jr. about to be indicted? I do think he is sick and unwell.

by Anonymousreply 365February 1, 2019 1:02 AM

R347 - “I can't believe people actually go and destroy the trees. who the fuck does that? fucking assholes.”

Truth is, it’s not asylum seekers or illegal immigrants. Fuck his wall. The deplorables are already here.

by Anonymousreply 366February 1, 2019 1:02 AM

King Trump in a. interview with The NY Times sez, Congress? What Congress, baybuh?

[quote]In an interview in the Oval Office, Mr. Trump called the talks “a waste of time” and indicated he will most likely take action on his own when they officially end in two weeks. At the same time, he expressed optimism about reaching a trade deal with China and denied being at odds with his intelligence chiefs.

[quote]“I think Nancy Pelosi is hurting our country very badly by doing what’s she doing and, ultimately, I think I’ve set the table very nicely,” Mr. Trump said. While he would not directly say that he plans to declare a national emergency to build the wall, he added: “I’ve set the table. I’ve set the stage for doing what I’m going to do.”

And I loved this dish:

[quote]Mr. Trump sat behind the Resolute Desk, sipping periodically from a glass of Diet Coke with ice cubes floating in it and resting on a gold coaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367February 1, 2019 2:36 AM

OH! He actually uses coasters?

by Anonymousreply 368February 1, 2019 2:40 AM

That's vodka man!

by Anonymousreply 369February 1, 2019 2:43 AM

Still not the worst president ever though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370February 1, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Still not the worst president ever though

Oh, gosh! Trump has far surpassed Bush as being the worst POTUS. But, I do ask myself; "Who was the worst US President?"

I always lean towards James Buchanan or Franklin Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 371February 1, 2019 2:49 AM

I will say this, though... Trump is definitely in the top 10 of the worst US president.

by Anonymousreply 372February 1, 2019 2:52 AM

I think Trump will be found to be dead last.

by Anonymousreply 373February 1, 2019 3:44 AM

Trump is trying to turn our country into Russia so yes he is a traitor and the worst ever.

by Anonymousreply 374February 1, 2019 4:02 AM

[quote]Oh, gosh! Trump has far surpassed Bush as being the worst POTUS.

How many hundreds of thousands of people have been killed as a result of Trump so far? How many extremist caliphates have been set up that toss gay men off the rooftop with reckless abandon? Some estimates have as many as 820,000 Iraqis dead as a result, direct or indirect, of Bush's war for fun.

America is constantly engaging in military action overseas, but it doesn't happen here so we are basically numb to it. There are people who actually like it and rah-rah it up every time we bomb some place. It's like we don't even care. But people's are being killed, their arms and legs blown off, and we think it's nothing. We see Trump meeting with Putin without a transcript as being worse that bombing a village and blowing up 100 people.

by Anonymousreply 375February 1, 2019 4:12 PM

And by the way, Trump is the one person I would like to see carpet bombed. I'm not defending him, AT ALL. It's just that, because he's the biggest lout and asshole ever to be president, doesn't make him the worst president.

by Anonymousreply 376February 1, 2019 4:14 PM

Does anyone think he will announce a narcissist emergency? It seems like no one including McTurtle are with him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 377February 5, 2019 3:01 AM

Yes. He will, r377.

He has no other options as shutting down the government again will hurt his supporters. Not that he cares but it backfired on him the last time so he has to try a new tactic.

I'm kinda looking forward to it as it will give turtle massive heartburn and split his carcass into warring factions.

I hope it sinus these thugs for good and turtle forever.

by Anonymousreply 378February 5, 2019 3:12 AM

Sad. Plus it is big distraction from Mueller indictments I would guess.

by Anonymousreply 379February 5, 2019 3:15 AM

CNN says 10 ATC stopped shutdown by calling in sick on 1/25.

by Anonymousreply 380February 7, 2019 4:58 AM

Looks like Trump will sign — he’s already trying to seek the forgiveness of ultra rightwing media firebrands.

[quote]As he inched closer to reluctantly accepting a bipartisan spending compromise without the money he demanded for his border wall, Mr. Trump offered no acknowledgment on Wednesday that his pressure tactics had failed even as aides sought to minimize the damage by tamping down criticism on the right.

[quote]One call was made to Lou Dobbs, a favorite of Mr. Trump’s whose Fox News show he often tries to catch live. Another was placed to Sean Hannity, the Fox host who regularly talks with the president. The message: The president deserved support because he still forced concessions that he would never have gotten without a five-week partial government shutdown.

[quote]Even so, it was arguably the most punishing defeat Mr. Trump has experienced as president, and it left the White House scrounging for other ways to pay for a wall on the southwestern border and rethinking its approach to a Congress now partly controlled by Democrats. Mr. Trump’s inability to reach a satisfying deal despite the negotiating experience he regularly touted on the campaign trail suggested that any aspirations of collaboration across party lines may be even more elusive than he had imagined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381February 14, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote]10 ATC

?

by Anonymousreply 382February 14, 2019 12:59 AM

Air Traffic Controllers, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 383February 14, 2019 1:16 AM

Gallup has him up 7 points after shutdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384February 14, 2019 1:21 AM

Yes the ATC call out practicality shut down Laguardia Airport and threatened to shut down others. It is credited with the three week reprieve. This time it's the flight attendants who threatened a walk out for safety reasons which is being credited with the compromise to avoid a another shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 385February 14, 2019 1:24 AM

R384, 538 has him up a bit but not much — seems to be a lost SOTU bump mostly. He’s still dwelling in the basement. 41.5 approve, 54.1 disapprove.

by Anonymousreply 386February 14, 2019 3:41 AM

^^^ lost = post

by Anonymousreply 387February 14, 2019 3:42 AM

He is a buffoon. He basically is caving and desperately looking for face saving measures before his family are indicted.

by Anonymousreply 388February 14, 2019 3:52 AM

Well, what he's looking to do is prevent the pundits from raking him over the coals for failing to get his wally-wall.

It may work, who knows. He's the golden calf for them, and they can't goad it too much. Or who knows, maybe when he signs the bill with a shit-sniffing grimace on his face, Coulter's huge feet will stalk over to her smartphone and she's tweet something venomous about him. Can't wait to see!

by Anonymousreply 389February 14, 2019 5:57 PM

There will be no shutdown, but he will declare a national emergency. To save face, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 390February 14, 2019 7:26 PM

Yep, Trump has officially decided to declare a national emergency...

The New York Times ✔ @nytimes

Breaking News: Senator Mitch McConnell said that President Trump planned to declare a national emergency so he can bypass Congress and build his border wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391February 14, 2019 7:33 PM

So now the next Democratic president can call a state of emergency for climate change. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 392February 14, 2019 7:39 PM

From what I've read the national emergency declaration will be contested in courts for a looooong time. That's why I think he's trying to save face.

Am I the only one who thinks that Democrats taking over the House took some wind out of trump's sails? Or maybe it is the calm before the storm.

by Anonymousreply 393February 14, 2019 7:44 PM

Someone should've declared a national emergency one second after he was inaugurated.

by Anonymousreply 394February 14, 2019 7:53 PM

Upthread I said:

[quote]Well, what he's looking to do is prevent the pundits from raking him over the coals for failing to get his wally-wall.

And it looks like it worked. This is from a CNN website article:

[quote]Trump spent much of the flight phoning allies to seek counsel and bemoan what he viewed as the lackluster negotiating efforts by Republicans. Hannity, who the President often calls late at night after his show ends, cut away from the rally in El Paso Monday night to dismiss the breakthrough as a "garbage compromise."

[quote]"1.3 billion? That's not a -- not even a wall, a barrier?" Hannity said. "Any Republican that supports this garbage compromise, you will have to explain. Look at this crowd. Look at the country. Look at CBS News, even they say 72% of the American people want the heroin to stop, the cartels to stop, the gang members to stop, and those that wish us ill."

[quote]But Hannity's tone had changed markedly by the next night.

[quote]"I'm not happy either," Hannity said Tuesday. "Nobody should be happy. The President has every right to be angry."

The "president has the right to be angry" -- in other words, blame congress, not Trump.

by Anonymousreply 395February 14, 2019 8:13 PM

Trump appears to have gotten his clock totally cleaned on this new bill, which McConnell has preemptively announced that Trump will sign. From what I am hearing, it drastically scales back, if not removes, ICE's ability to arrest undocumented people who are here in the US: if you are the sponsor of an immigrant child, in the household of a sponsor of an immigrant child, or in the household of a person considering becoming a sponsor of an immigrant child, you can't be seized and deported -- even if you yourself are here illegally.

In the face of this massive grant of amnesty -- that's what this is -- some additional fencing is meaningless. How did this happen? Democratic Senator Dick Durbin is an expert on immigration law; the Republicans who were on the committee that produced the bill were not.

It's a huge fuck-you to the Base.

by Anonymousreply 396February 14, 2019 8:20 PM

R396: He will sign it AND declare a National Emergency per SHS.

by Anonymousreply 397February 14, 2019 8:40 PM

Aren't the courts now packed with Trump judges?

by Anonymousreply 398February 14, 2019 9:32 PM

I cannot accept the idea that the Congress, which controls the purse, weighed the Wall and decided not to fund it. The President’s response is to immediately declare an emergency to get around the Congresss and the Constitution. This is un-American. I hate using that word but it so often applies to Trump , Inc.

by Anonymousreply 399February 14, 2019 10:27 PM

R398, not everywhere, not at all levels. A challenge to the state of emergency declaration can probably be brought in any number of federal district courts, so whoever is filing the case can forum-shop. An appeal from the district court to the Circuit Court (and then the Supreme Court) would be heard by a panel of judges appointed by various Presidents.

by Anonymousreply 400February 14, 2019 10:45 PM

I think most judges would be appalled by a Wall Emergency, under the circumstances. The Congress just authorized over a billion for border security. You would go there first. A good Dem complaint or good court decision or both would skewer Trump .

by Anonymousreply 401February 14, 2019 10:54 PM

It’s all posturing for his minority base of morons. He actually ended up with an even worse deal than before. Now he can pretend to be in control by declaring a narcissist emergency. He will never end up with a wall. I only take solace in knowing that eventually the Mueller report coupled with a recession will destroy him.

by Anonymousreply 402February 14, 2019 11:23 PM

Passes the House 300 to 128. Veto proof majority in both houses.

by Anonymousreply 403February 15, 2019 2:09 AM

Ann Coulter and Laura Ingram are pissed to pisstivity!

by Anonymousreply 404February 15, 2019 2:32 AM

Trump only takes directives from Putin and Hannity. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 405February 15, 2019 3:43 AM

And Coulter of course

by Anonymousreply 406February 15, 2019 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!