Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Evangelicals sue for right to deny shelter to homeless transgender people

Alliance Defending Freedom, the far-right evangelical legal group that defended the “right” of a baker to deny service to gay couples before the Supreme Court, has a new target.

This time they’re suing to give a homeless shelter in Anchorage, Alaska, the “right” to deny help to transgender people. The federal court lawsuit seeks to overturn the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance that prohibits discrimination against LGBTQ people.

ADF attorney Ryan Tucker told the court that many of the shelter’s residents are survivors of domestic violence and “they would rather sleep in the woods” in the frigid Alaskan winter than share space with a transgender woman. Temperatures in the city in the past week have hovered around zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope Center, a Christian nonprofit that operates the shelter for homeless women, turned away a transgender woman twice in January. While the facility had cause to turn her away (she showed up drunk once and after hours the second time), they couldn’t resist taking a jab at LGBTQ people.

As Anchorage was voting on whether or not to strike transgender people from the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance, an attorney for the shelter told a local newspaper that they would never admit a “biological male” into the facility despite how the vote turned out.

The measure was defeated at the ballot box.

But after the attorney’s remarks became public, the city initiated an investigation of the facility. The woman who was turned away also filed a complaint with the city’s Equal Rights Commission. Neither case has been resolved.

The group is asking the judge to stop the city from enforcing the nondiscrimination law, arguing that, as a homeless shelter, the group should have an exemption from the law and, as a charity, it should have the religious freedom to deny access as they see fit.

Assistant municipal attorney Ryan Stuart told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner that the city opposed the suit because the commission’s investigation has not been completed because the shelter wouldn’t cooperate with the investigation.

There is no exemption for homeless shelters in the law.

“There is simply no evidence that transgender people are more of a threat to anyone, whether that be in bathrooms, locker rooms, or homeless shelters,” David Dinielli, Deputy Legal Director for the Southern Poverty Law Center, told local news station KTUU.

“In fact, we know transgender people are among the most, if not the most likely to be targeted for abuse, sexual abuse and physical abuse.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2019 10:26 PM

Evangelicals have allies in all the anti-trans loons right here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2019 8:25 PM

Irrespective of your position on Ts...

...nothing in this world says xtian more than fighting for the right to sit back and watch other people die - whether by your direct or indirect action.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2019 8:38 PM

Reason #5,000,000 that proves evangelicals don't have love in their hearts but vindictiveness and judgment.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2019 8:40 PM

Bullshit r1. Those of us who question much of the trans ideology are not against civil rights, equality and legal protections for trans people. What we have a problem with is the notion that gender is all inside your head and a big butch male can call himself a woman just because he feels like it.

I presume you overlook the problem of women's refuges that have to accept biological men as women and that biological women who have been beaten and are escaping from violent men will have to sleep in dorms with biological men, even still with their penises, who identify as women - because that is what the law in many cases demands.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2019 8:47 PM

This is the problem with charity more generally

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2019 8:48 PM

How are the two things related, r4?

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2019 9:00 PM

I have no problem with this. Vulnerable homeless women should under no circumstance be forced to share sleeping quarters and shower facilites with men. This is not the first time this issue has arisen either, so don't try and spin it as evangelical bullshit. Linked is a story about a tranny harassing women at Poverello House in Fresno. The women are now suing the shelter.

I'm guessing transwomen can be admitted to this shelter as the males they are, by the way, which would make the headline of the article false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2019 9:01 PM

Why should biological women who are in the shelters to escape domestic violence now have to worry about getting their asses kicked in the shelter by a tranny for using the wrong pronoun, or worse, give in their demands for "lesbian" affection?

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2019 9:06 PM

R6, I was responding to r1, as is clear from my very first sentence

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2019 9:08 PM

whores

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote]Why should biological women who are in the shelters to escape domestic violence now have to worry about getting their asses kicked in the shelter by a tranny for using the wrong pronoun, or worse, give in their demands for "lesbian" affection?

The bad actions of a few people should not paint everyone. The answer is to create a safer environment for everyone, not just one group or another. The same reasoning, if it weren't currently illegal, has been used and would continue to be used to keep gay people out of shelters.

And really, does anyone buy that their motivation is women's safety, rather than standard operating procedure for religious nutbags - such champions of the downtrodden, oppressed, and victimized.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2019 9:12 PM

I assure you, r4/r7/r8, the reason they want to deny shelter to trans people isn't because of the potentially vulnerable women.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2019 9:13 PM

Time to banish these UK-based anti trans loons back to Mumsnet or wherever else they came from to push their right wing agenda.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2019 9:15 PM

These people should be thrown out of the Christian Religion.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2019 9:17 PM

If Trans males were concerned about the rights of women, they'd demand private facilities for themselves and respect the privacy and safety concerns of women.

If Trans males want access to women only spaces, then get your male genitals removed.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2019 9:19 PM

When someone says, "I assure you," R12, it's a sure sign they're talking out their ass. I assure you.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2019 9:19 PM

I predict if evangelicals can sue and win on this, they will be going after all LGB homeless people. They are no friends of any of us. Don't kid yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2019 9:20 PM

What does it really matter what their motivation is, R12? And these women aren't "potentially" vulnerable. They're vulnerable by definition, and their physical safety should count for more than some mentally ill man's burning desire to be adressed as "she".

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2019 9:20 PM

Well, r16, apparently you should know.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2019 9:20 PM

So do they perform genital checks, or is it based on "passable shaming"?

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Then they can create a safe environment for transgenders that is separate from the safe environment for women, R11.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Women don't have to worry about gay men raping them, period.

Women have every reason in the world to fear a man in a dress wanting to get close to them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2019 9:23 PM

Wow, R19. What a burn.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2019 9:23 PM

R11 if you're not a homeless woman it's the easiest thing in the world for you to lecture these women on who they should take for company. They shouldn't have to gamble that this biomale is one of the 'good ones' just so you feel fuzzy with compassion as you head to sleep in your cozy bed. You're not the one being compelled to shower with a naked stranger dick and balls out. You're not the one who went through sexual assault just to be roomed alone with a chauvinist grunt in combat boots.

This is just a thread to some of us. The women who pay for this don't exist to us.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2019 9:23 PM

You seem to think evangelicals care about such distinctions, r22. They don't.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2019 9:24 PM

Another case from Toronto. Sexual abuse survivor forced to share room with "woman" who had chest and facial hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2019 9:29 PM

First, drop the T before more harm is done to the GAY/LESBIAN community.

We cannot afford to be dragged down with the trannies.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2019 9:30 PM

"A sexual predator who falsely claimed to be transgender and preyed on women at two Toronto shelters was jailed indefinitely on Wednesday."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2019 9:31 PM

[R25]

I don't care what the Evangelicals motives and distinction criteria are. In this case, they're right.

Or, while we're on the topics of distinctions, count me in on the "Remove the T from LGB bandwagon.

The T's who want access to women are working for the Reich Wing, not the LGB citizens of this country.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2019 9:39 PM

[quote][R11] if you're not a homeless woman it's the easiest thing in the world for you to lecture these women on who they should take for company.

Only someone with an irrational, one-sided reading could possibly construe my comment at r11 - "The answer is to create a safer environment for everyone, not just one group or another" - to mean jamming people together without regard for the health and safety of everyone. What part of the word "everyone" is eluding your grasp of English?

No one is lecturing anyone about anything. Attacks and robberies in homeless shelters have continued to rise right along with homelessness itself. All homeless people are at risk and precautions need to be taken whenever vulnerable people are brought together. Simple and sane guidelines can be developed. There are always going to be criminals and predators who prey on vulnerable segments of society. But, I'm not more going to assume every T is a sexual predator than every black man is a murderer or rapist. Insufferable, sure until proven otherwise - but not a prior a predator.

Someone is feverishly clearing cookies to keep posting and pretend it's more than one person holding the same opinion.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2019 9:41 PM

R22 Straight/gay men have to worry about men raping them.

Gay/bi males will be separated from locker rooms & bathrooms with tech down the road.

Social media accounts will be used to keep Ls & Gs away from "straight majority" bathrooms & locker rooms.

In another decade Russia, Muslim countries & African counties will probably have ID cards you will have to swipe to gain access to those spaces & if it says LGBT on it (which the law will make happen) then you won't get any where in that particular nation. The fundies will want that "right" here in the USA for themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2019 9:47 PM

[R31] Get your genitals removed and I'll support your right to use the ladies Room.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2019 9:50 PM

Is it too much to ask for THE GREATEST and RICHEST country in the world to provide a couple rooms including one where trans people could sleep rather than the cold winter forest in Alaska? Sheesh! Don't put them with the men or the women, rent them a damned motel room. This isn't rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2019 9:51 PM

Males generally have the ability to defend themselves against other males, R22. Women generally have zero chance at defending themselves against men, which is why gender segregation exists in the first place. If we're just going to assume that everyone is equally likely to fall prey to everyone else, then gender segregation should be abolished altogether.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2019 9:52 PM

Sorry, that was meant for R31.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2019 9:53 PM

[R34/35]

I make the same mistake! It's all good.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2019 9:55 PM

I agree with the points R1, R2, R3, R11, R12, R14, R17, & R33 made.

R34/R35 So you could defend yourself against Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant & most steroid ridden athletes? I'm under 5'8" & have some health issues so don't speak for all guys okay?

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2019 9:57 PM

{R34]

The T's don't want gender segregation completely abolished. They just want access to the girls and women.

If bio males and females were totally integrated, the T's know they could get the living hell beat out of them by any bio men present the moment a T imposed himself on a woman. The bio women would probably help to dogpile the Tranny.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2019 9:59 PM

That's why I said GENERALLY, R37. Of course in a perfect world, there would be individual rooms and showers for everyone at shelters, which would eliminate a lot of these problems.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2019 10:00 PM

Evangelicals are fighting for “their Right” to lynch Gay people in the U.S.!

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2019 10:01 PM

Concerning the posters claiming straight men have to worry about gay men raping them, I'd like to see the articles showing all of incidents in public showers supporting this claim.

Prisons don't count, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2019 10:03 PM

I blocked one pro troll and 4/5 of the pro posts disappeared. Why do people do this? Pro/Anti/Whatever, just post once, or if posting many times don't pretend to be many people... it's obvious when you're not!

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2019 10:04 PM

[R40] is fighting for the right to sexually assault women in women only spaces!

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2019 10:05 PM

R40 Thank you for reminding everyone on this thread of that fight as well.

So many on here are slamming right wing everything & then turn around in the exact same post & support fundies who are the biggest voting block of the repubs agendas.

American politics is insane compared to other developed nations.

R43 is either not aware of what issue R40 is talking about or a Russian bot. Read some LGBT news sites?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2019 10:09 PM

He showed up drunk, belligerent, and aggressive, to a woman's shelter, after getting kicked out of another one... but nooo, it's just easy to say it was those mean lady bigots. There's been enough sexual attacks since self id. Not only do stats back up sex segregation, women can be raped and impregnated, something some men here forget.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2019 10:09 PM

R43 Yes, that’s what a lot of gay men want to do: rape women

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2019 10:11 PM

Hey [43], you're the one who posted men have to worry about gay men raping them.

Post the articles or stats showing how many men a year are getting raped.

Every thing you post supports violent lunatics and not gays and lesbians.

Who do YOU work for?

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote]ADF attorney Ryan Tucker told the court that many of the shelter’s residents are survivors of domestic violence and “they would rather sleep in the woods” in the frigid Alaskan winter than share space with a transgender woman.

I’ll be dipped - apparently beggars CAN be choosers!

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2019 10:21 PM

🥶And I’ll hold my breath till I get what I want 🥴

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2019 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!