Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Annoying things about NPR

There are so many, but I'll start. Recently interviewees always begin their responses with "right" or "sure."

[quote] Interviewer: What's the reason for the government shutdown?

[quote] Interviewee: Sure. Blah blah blah

Is there a laboratory where they dream up this shit or what?

What annoys you about NPR?

by Anonymousreply 195February 3, 2019 11:56 PM

Steve Kornacki begins talking thusly:

“Yeah, no, ...”

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2019 2:55 AM

The way MEEshell Norris pronounces her name

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2019 2:56 AM

The "both sides do it, so everyone sucks, therefore we aren't liberal biased" coverage. That, and the need to bring on former hacks from previous administrations, who have nothing to say or contribute in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2019 2:57 AM

R2: She retired years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Science Fridays taking the spot of Fresh Air at the end of the week. Content is interesting, but that guy’s voice wrecks my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Linda Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2019 2:59 AM

It seems they are having pledge drives (begging for money) about once a month now (at least on my local NPR station they are.) It used to be NPR would only have pledge drives twice, maybe three times a year - no more than that. Now it's every few weeks and they have started sticking in requests for donations in between promos for shows. They are becoming relentless in their begging for money. I didn't mind the occasional two, three times a year drives but now it's become every few weeks. As for me, NPR is breeding a lot of resentment as this shows little respect for it's loyal listeners. And yes, I know they are more hard up for money than they used to be thanks to Trump and his henchmen but this is going too far.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2019 3:03 AM

Terry Gross annoys me too-- she's both smug and boring.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2019 3:05 AM

R5 is right,

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2019 3:05 AM

R7: NPR is fine. They make their money by making member stations buy all the programming they air. Stations buy Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air etc. So it's the stations that raise the money and get the grants and the CPB funding to then buy stuff from NPR, and PRI, APM etc. So I guess your local station is poor--or someone is putting their hand in the till....

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2019 3:07 AM

R10 It's true my local station is in a relatively poor state.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2019 3:09 AM

The way Terry Gross says, EVERY SINGLE SHOW: "If you're just joining us, my guest is...." (And then 30 seconds later, she says it again when the break ends.)

That person is your guest whether or not I'm just joining you. And seriously, Terry, how many people are just joining you at that exact moment? The majority have been listening since the show started.

I know it sounds stupid, but I promise that once you notice it, it will drive you nuts too.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Vocal fry

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2019 10:36 AM

-OP "begin their responses with "right" or "sure."" is a Jedi Mind trick that Millennials use to create faux agreement and feel-good as mandated by the hive mind.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2019 11:43 AM

"NPR voice" annoys me

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2019 11:49 AM

This is good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2019 11:51 AM

Nothing. We are fucking lucky to still have NPR.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2019 11:55 AM

Kai Ryssdal saying “This (pause) - is Marketplace... (play theme music)”

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2019 12:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2019 12:21 PM

Ditto r13

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2019 12:52 PM

Grossly overpaid Steve Inskeep's predictable response to any mildly surprising or discomfiting report: "Wow."

Endless and frequent interruptions by underwriters and now advertisers (The Shiastsu Massage Chair") on MORNING EDITION.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2019 12:56 PM

Lots of vocal fry. But have to admit, stopped listening to it precisely because of this, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2019 1:04 PM

r18 -- YES!!!

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2019 11:41 PM

Terry Gross , like, uses the unnecessary word "like" constantly. Reminds me of a teenage girl, like the kind who like, says the word "like" all the time.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2019 11:51 PM

Windsor Johnston's sex robot voice. White guilt. Chewiness.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2019 11:57 PM

I love Terry Gross and annoyed she gets Fridays off.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2019 12:02 AM

*and am annoyed

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2019 12:03 AM

R27: She doesn't get Friday off, most stations don't air the show that day for Ira Flatow. So they package it as Fresh Air Weekend so stations can fill the dead hours of Saturday and Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2019 12:04 AM

Jolly-jagging Saturday morning quiz and talent shows and their ilk. Klezmer music interludes. Rare-ingredient cooking shows and the hordes of Ira Glass wannabes with that voice inflection, you know the one?

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2019 12:15 AM

I was involved as a contract engineer at a small local NPR station. Under Trump, in general, federal grant money has dried up, and begging is necessary to make up the shortfall. Tech budgets suffer when money is short. NPR gets theirs.

Complaint: vocal fry. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2019 12:16 AM

Does Cokie Roberts still do her weak-assed rehash of the previous day's events? All she fucking did was repeat headlines from yesterday's newspapers. No insight, no real interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2019 12:17 AM

R31 I love when they bring Cokie Roberts on. Even the introduction for her is weak-assed and tentative, “As she comes here on some Monday mornings, here’s Cokie Roberts with headlines...”

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2019 12:20 AM

If you’re just joining this thread, we’re talking about NPR annoyances.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2019 12:22 AM

One of the only things that doesn't annoy me about NPR is the begging for money. It's not like they have a choice. But they DO have a choice in how they train their presenters to speak. And in that, they choose wrongly, and have done so for years.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2019 12:23 AM

Yeah, the pledge drives are annoying but big stations like WNYC will always get their funding. Give money to small stations whose audience is surrounded by deplorables. Sometimes NPR shows are all there is except right-wing ranting, live stock reports, and religion. I give to Red River Radio that broadcasts over parts of the South and Texas.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Mary Louise Kelly makes a lot of mouth noises, cuts people off midsentence due to time, and sounds like a frog.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2019 12:26 AM

I can't believe so many of you are picking on Terry Gross, of all people!!!

She's a goddess. So well-informed about her guests and the subject matter. She asks great specific questions and it's clear her guestst are thoroughly engaged by her. As am I.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2019 12:29 AM

Full disclosure: This thread does receive partial funding from NPR and some of its affiliate stations.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2019 12:30 AM

Fart jokes on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me. WHET class?

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2019 12:30 AM

I hate the sound effect that makes the tiny studio audience sitting in a local bank on Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me! sound like they're in the Roman Colisseum.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2019 12:31 AM

Alec Baldwin's "cultured voice" - that he uses for the CONSTANT promos for "Here's The Thing".

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote]Mary Louise Kelly makes a lot of mouth noises

Could you be more specific/descriptive?

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Kai Ryssdal saying “This (pause) - is Marketplace... (play theme music)”

Kai is not an NPR employee. All the variations of Marketplace (along with countless other pubic radio shows) are owned and produced by American Public Media - the production arm of Minnesota Public Radio. Former MPR CEO Bill Kling built a sizable public/private media empire during his tenure that at one time even included a for profit mail order retailer (Rivertown Trading) and many other side ventures. MPR is still the second largest producer of content for local public stations. Ultimately it's the house that untold millions of dollars in revenue from A Prairie Home Companion built.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2019 12:35 AM

The young black fella, what's-his-name, who took over for the old white lady, what's-her-name? He used to annoy me. Now I like him.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2019 12:35 AM

Kai Ryssdal is so fratty douchebro.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2019 12:37 AM

Terry Gross is also a good sport. Here she is in Mike Birbiglia's video in which she sends herself up and plays a bank robber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2019 12:37 AM

Jonathan Schwartz. But he's gone now.

I love Paul Cavalconte, his replacement, who plays the same great music without all the aged and wandering chatter.

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote]Mary Louise Kelly makes a lot of mouth noises, cuts people off midsentence due to time, and sounds like a frog.

Mary Louise, since the retirement of Diane Rehm, is probably the savviest and most demanding interviewer on public radio. I was thrilled when she was named Robert Siegel's successor. She has a gravitas her three more chipper co-hosts lack.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote]Jonathan Schwartz. But he's gone now.

I didn't know.

I'm glad.

[quote] without all the aged and wandering chatter.

Yes, I hated the wandering chatter too.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2019 12:47 AM

I used to live in a hellish area served by Red River Radio. Every other radio station was Christian rock. NOTHING BUT Christian rock and black gospel music. In the Deep South that's what rednecks and country black people listen to-- not country. Red River Radio made me feel like I was part of civilization. So yes, as much as it annoys me, I am grateful for NPR.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote]Mary Louise, since the retirement of Diane Rehm, is probably the savviest and most demanding interviewer on public radio. I was thrilled when she was named Robert Siegel's successor. She has a gravitas her three more chipper co-hosts lack.

But the mouth noises. What do you have to say about that?

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote]So yes, as much as it annoys me, I am grateful for NPR.

Gratitude aside, mouth noises are unacceptable on the radio. So is vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2019 12:50 AM

Love NPR

The only mild annoyance is when "sponsors" messages are as long as a standard commercial and they pretend it's not a commercial.

That, and I can't deal with listening during pledge drives

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2019 12:50 AM

I'm Lakshmi Singh.

NYers will know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2019 12:52 AM

Young reporters who start every other sentence with "I mean...". It’s not only NPR, I hear it on MSNBC as well. Where did these people learn to speak English?

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2019 12:53 AM

Where can I get a grant for a one-hour recording of NPR mouth noises and dramatic pauses? Maybe a little klezmer thrown in somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2019 12:53 AM

No one has replaced the Car Talk brothers and their crazy giggling.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2019 12:53 AM

The Mary Louise Kelly mouth noises are almost like her mouth lacks moisture and her tongue makes these smacking noises as she talks.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote] I'm Lakshmi Singh.

I adore how bored she sounds when she's reading the news.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2019 12:54 AM

Jazz, I fucking hate jazz, give me more opera, classical, world music, anything except jazz. Also, I wish they would do some original drama like the BBC does, or at least air some of the BBC radio dramas, like a radio version of "Masterpiece."

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2019 12:55 AM

That Ted Talk show is unbeaeable. Smug assholes oversharing.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2019 12:57 AM

I find Ari Shapiro annoying, specifically when he's interviewing people.

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2019 12:58 AM

[quote]But the mouth noises. What do you have to say about that?

We have a new troll - the Mary Louise Kelly Mouth Noises Troll!

Frankly - I don't hear them or would give a flying fuck even if I did. Remember - I earlier praised Diane Rehm, who due to an chronic illness gave a whole new meaning to vocal fry - but she was still the most incisive and unforgiving interviewer in the mainstream media.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2019 12:59 AM

One of the NPR-affiliate guys in my town sounds a lot like Goofy. He brings out the kid in me as I laugh at him.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2019 1:00 AM

The magic thing, using his kids as props...

Sorry, that's "annoying things about NPH". My bad.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2019 1:03 AM

I can't bear Ira Flatow.

I don't know what he looks like but he sounds like every math/science club/audio visual aids dweeb I went to high school with. He sounds so unsure of himself yet talks on and on.

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2019 1:03 AM

NPR, the place for people with a face for radio, and a voice for books.

Every goddamn person has some overly annoying accent, affect, lisp or vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]I'm Lakshmi Singh.

I'm Duane Brown

I'm Jack Spear

I'm Corva Coleman

To be honest it's a drive time party game for me. Guess the reader and imitate the grandiose vocal inflections as the NPR top of the hour newsreader identifies themselves. Unfortunately their newest team member doesn't quite have the same impact:

I'm Doualy Xaykaothao

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]I can't bear Ira Flatow. I don't know what he looks like

Now you do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2019 1:06 AM

IIRC, Lakshmi Singh is frequently followed by the BBC Newshour with Rasia Iqbal, who, in the way of the Brits, pronounces it "Rah-SEE-ah"

And if noticed that some NPR reporters have extended the meme of overly romancing the pronunciation of Spanish place names to Mandarin.

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2019 1:06 AM

YES, R36! JFC, when I'm trapped in the car (and am between Sirius/XM subscriptions) and that chick comes on, I simply lose the will to live.

R42, it's like my old friend described actor David Thewliss's voice to me years ago--imagine your mouth is super-dry, and each time you open your mouth, there's a dry, almost smacking sound coming from the movement of your dry tongue against your dry hard palate and your dry inner cheeks. Every word. Every sentence. Every news story. For three hours. Smack. Smack. Smack.

Then there are the otherworldly uvular clicks--like, how the FUCK [italic]dry[/italic] does your oral mucosa have to be for your gotdamn UVULA to click? Repeatedly?

Smack-click. Click-smack. Smack-click.

Then there's the voice itself, like a lady golfer/high school girls' basketball coach speaking with her chin tucked into her neck, through a turtleneck sweater pulled up over her mouth.

No, No. I just can't. She's even worse than MSNBC's girls' lacrosse team captain Kasie Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2019 1:06 AM

When they play a great song in between shows, and you get into it, then they cut it off for the next show to start.

by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2019 1:13 AM

R63, after getting used to it, I NEVER noticed Diane Rehm's voice, just as I forgot all about RFK Jr's vocal issues when he had his Air America radio show. I found both their vocal TONES quite pleasant, not even counting how brilliant they were.

But Mary Louise Kelly? A bridge too gotdamn far, man.

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2019 1:14 AM

[quote]We have a new troll - the Mary Louise Kelly Mouth Noises Troll!

AND we have a humorless Mary Louise Kelly fangay.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2019 1:16 AM

Does anyone know if Leonard Lopate now has a talk show on another station?

His firing was really shocking. Not that I necessarily doubt the indiscretions but, I guess because we only knew his cultured voice and quick mind, the firing seemed to come out of nowhere, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2019 1:17 AM

I hate Joshua Johnson 1A. Seems it’s always on and he is just annoying as fuck. Same with Ari Shapiro talk about someone who is over hyped.

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2019 1:31 AM

I went and listened to clip of Mary Louise Kelly's voice. She DOES have a mouth sound problem! Maybe it's the sound engineers' fault?

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2019 1:43 AM

Vocal fry is now acceptable on NPR, especially WNYC in NYC. Too much coffee-clutching and valley girl speak. less news, more b.s. pop culture magazine chatter. No longer smart. It never ceases to amaze me that in the USA, many people who make a living with their voice & speech, never study voice or speech. BBC and other world reporters, radio talent and presenters are exceptional. In the USA they are former beauty queens or current bloggers. ugh.

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2019 2:17 AM

Ira Glass is so whiny. I can’t deal.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote]BBC and other world reporters, radio talent and presenters are exceptional.

Really? The voices (continuity etc.) on BBC TV are horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2019 2:25 AM

R80 The BBC was better before they decided to go PC and have regional accents.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2019 2:28 AM

BBC talent generally knows how to pronounce Standard British and most speak additional foreign languages and can pronounce names, places, etc.

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2019 2:30 AM

[quote]The BBC was better before they decided to go PC and have regional accents.

and moving to the fucking Midlands was the last straw, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2019 2:32 AM

[quote]The BBC was better before they decided to go PC and have regional accents.

along with calling England "The UK" - fuck that shit.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]Does anyone know if Leonard Lopate now has a talk show on another station?

Lenny is now on WBAI in NYC. The station has been losing money forever, but Lopate has a large salary plus a producer. Most on-air talent work for free as a labor of love. Lenny and his ego aren't very popular there.

BAI was always a radical radio station, but its new Pacifica masters seem to think it can be another NPR. No. The pledge drives are sad; the old rad supporters are dead and it's not uncommon for hours of money beg to end up with nothing. Young people don't give a shit about radio. Well, BAI had a good run.

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]I went and listened to clip of Mary Louise Kelly's voice. She DOES have a mouth sound problem! Maybe it's the sound engineers' fault?

Maybe it's the water fountain's fault she never uses it?

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2019 3:14 AM

I have a gigantic Norse cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2019 4:35 AM

I live in Dallas; my station is KERA. I was a lifelong listener of public radio until the last 7-8 years. I miss the news and reporting; I don't need to hear everyone joking with each other, trying to prove how funny and cool nerds think they are.

Anyway, it could be a coincidence as I now very seldom listen, but every time I tune in to this station, it seems that they're having a pledge drive. Their CEO, Maryann Alhadeff, has a salary of over a half-million dollars per year ($505k+).

I looked it up on Charity Navigator. Below,is a link if you want to check out your own station's CEO pay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2019 5:00 AM

Lakshmi Singh is a gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2019 5:45 AM

Maybe, R87, but ya got no lips.

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2019 6:10 AM

While I love BBC, sometimes I get famished for the blonds.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2019 6:22 AM

Inskeep's guffaws, Ryssdal's smarminess, Ari Shapiro 's queen voice, Richard Hake's dyslexia, Elsa Chang's fake empathy, Ira Glass's dreadful diction.

Love and lust for Scott Horsley (Horse-hung). That deep commanding voice, the way he says ,"My pleasure!" when thanked for his story. He'd be fun in the sack. And he's cute.

I miss Todd Zwillich from The Takeaway. Very smart, good interviewer, good voice. And a face made for TV.

Paul Cavalcanti is smart and funny and such a relief from The Gasbag.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2019 7:29 AM

If you are just joining us, we are talking about NPR interviewers who talk over their guests and make you want to fucking scream while you are driving your car.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2019 10:19 AM

Yaaasssssss! WEHT Todd Zwillich?? Loved his voice and demeanor and was pleasantly shocked when I googled him to discover he's as sexy and handsome as any CNN reporter. I hope he's making his way to CNN or MSNBC.

Did Leonard Lopate ever do an interview to defend himself? My god, one minute he was there (for 20 or so years) and another minute he was gone forever!

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2019 10:27 AM

At least that serial harasser John Hockenberry is gone. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2019 10:41 AM

The sports show is torture.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2019 10:46 AM

The “sure” thing has crept its way into so many interviews, it has to be the work of some fuckhead junior producer who put it on the prep script, it’s everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2019 10:52 AM

It's only fairly recently that I've had the feeling that field reporters, when being interviewed by a "regular," are on a script. For example, they'll mention a story point, seemingly in response to a question, and right away have a clip to play to validate what they just said.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2019 11:46 AM

“This statistic/fact/number might surprise you...”

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2019 4:05 PM

(From linked article)

During a recent long car ride whose soundtrack was a medley of NPR podcasts, I noticed a verbal mannerism during scripted segments that appeared on just about every show. I’ve heard the same tic in countless speeches, TED talks and Moth StorySLAMS — anywhere that features semi-informal first-person narration.

If I could attempt to transcribe it, it sounds kind of like, y’know … this.

That is, in addition to looser language, the speaker generously employs pauses and, particularly at the end of sentences, emphatic inflection. (This is a separate issue from upspeak, the tendency to conclude statements with question marks?) A result is the suggestion of spontaneous speech and unadulterated emotion. The irony is that such presentations are highly rehearsed, with each caesura calculated and every syllable stressed in advance.

In literary circles, the practice of poets reciting verse in singsong registers and unnatural cadences is known, derogatorily, as “poet voice.” I propose calling this phenomenon “NPR voice” (which is distinct from the supple baritones we normally associate with radio voices).

This plague of pregnant pauses and off-kilter pronunciations must have come from someplace. But … where?

A primary cause of NPR voice is the sheer expansion of people broadcasting today. Whereas once only trained professionals were given a television or radio platform, amateurs have now taken over the airwaves and Internet. They may not have the thespian skills necessary to restrain the staginess of their elocution, leading to “indicating,” or overacting to express emotion.

By now, however, people trying to sell something — whether it’s a pair of jeans or a presidential candidate — know that consumers (and voters) are ever skeptical of faux sincerity. To subvert our suspicions, then, these salespeople reveal the ostensibly “genuine” cracks in their facades. How could I be deceiving you, the catch in the voice, the exposed seam in a sweater or the actor cracking up during an outtake asks, when I’m vulnerably baring my … flaws?

Speaking on (the more traditionally velvet-voiced) Alec Baldwin’s WNYC radio program “Here’s the Thing,” the most influential contemporary speaker of NPR voice, Ira Glass, the host of “This American Life,” said his own colloquial broadcasting style had anti-authoritarian roots.

“Back when we were kids, authority came from enunciation, precision,” Mr. Glass said. “But a whole generation of people feel like that character is obviously a phony — like the newscaster on ‘The Simpsons’ — with a deep voice and gravitas.”

For his more intimate storytelling, Mr. Glass “went in the other direction,” he said. “Any story hits you harder if the person delivering it doesn’t sound like a news robot but, in fact, sounds like a real person having the reactions a real person would.”

Nonetheless, the preplanned responses of NPR personalities sound somewhat counterfeit when stacked against the largely, if not completely, unscripted monologues that open rawer podcasts, such as Marc Maron’s “WTF” and Brad Listi’s literary “Otherppl” podcast. Mr. Listi, for instance, frequently allows for lengthy pauses in between sentences that convey, without stage directions, the process of someone thinking aloud.

Mr. Glass found inspiration in Susan Stamberg, who began hosting NPR’s “All Things Considered” in 1972. “She seemed like some Upper West Side, New York lady leaning into the microphone, mensch-ily talking into the radio,” he told Mr. Baldwin.

(more at link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2019 6:00 PM

Who woulda thunk r89 that Lakshmi Singh was, for the most part, a down to earth, chubby Caribbean Hispanic woman with a slight lisp. I always pictured her as the journalistic equivalent of Padma Lakshmi. An exotic creature with a speaking voice to match.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2019 12:23 AM

r100, very interesting article. This stood out to me:

[quote] How could I be deceiving you, the catch in the voice, the exposed seam in a sweater or the actor cracking up during an outtake asks, when I’m vulnerably baring my … flaws?

You hear this especially when they transition and start a new story. The announcers use this seemingly conversational, hestitant-stumbling kind of speech. It's very distracting and makes me not want to listen.

by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Again from r100's article, Ira Glass says:

[quote] “Back when we were kids, authority came from enunciation, precision,” Mr. Glass said. “But a whole generation of people feel like that character is obviously a phony — like the newscaster on ‘The Simpsons’ — with a deep voice and gravitas.”

I'm Generation X and I imagine he's talking about me. Yet I find that with traditional newscaster voice, it's easier to focus on the content and not get distracted by the personality of the speaker.

by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2019 12:30 AM

Greetings,

I'm afraid Ofeibea Quist-Arcton would scare the upspeak right out of me.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2019 12:32 AM

In local news, I fucking hate motherfucking Michael Krasny on KQED. Bitch pronounced "cache" as "cake".

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote]NPR, the place for people with a face for radio, and a voice for books.

Hey, I resemble that remark (though not a full on employee of NPR).

by Anonymousreply 106January 17, 2019 12:37 AM

Cokie Roberts is who started using "disconnect" as a noun.

by Anonymousreply 107January 17, 2019 12:43 AM

Live, from NPR News in Washington, I'm Dave Mattingly.

by Anonymousreply 108January 17, 2019 12:44 AM

Dave always sounds bored by the sound of his own name.

by Anonymousreply 109January 17, 2019 12:47 AM

Let's do the numbers!

by Anonymousreply 110January 17, 2019 12:50 AM

Funny, I’m always annoyed by the way their brainiac guests answer questions with “So,...” and end the answers with “right?”

And EVERY fucking thing is about race or immigration. Or trans.

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2019 12:54 AM

R40, that is an auditorium named for a bank. It's the size of a smallish theater.

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2019 12:55 AM

Zoe Chase and her egregiously Midwestern accent. It’s like an SNL skit, and I suspect it’s an affectation.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2019 12:56 AM

R112 It doesn't look like a smallish theater, my High School Auditorium was larger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2019 1:03 AM

I sort of get a kick out of Shay(sp?) Stevens, who has a beautiful voice but must be dyslexic. One can pretty much count on her fumbling something. I hear her only at midnight and 1am, when she does the brief updates.

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2019 1:03 AM

R114, it goes back farther than that. Many more rows. Check out the "Installations" tab at the home page of The Griffin Company here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2019 1:08 AM

R116 That still looks like a high school auditorium, not a legitimate theater.

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2019 1:16 AM

Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, Dakaaaaaaaaar!

by Anonymousreply 118January 17, 2019 1:34 AM

R111: Now that's an absolute lie! But please continue to make shit up about what NPR talks about.

by Anonymousreply 119January 17, 2019 1:55 AM

If you are just joining us, we are discussing Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, who is a radio journalist, correspondent, commentator and broadcaster from Dakar. She works for National Public Radio, reporting on queer and trans issues in West Africa.

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2019 8:04 AM

Once you notice Windsor Johnston's very sharp use of the letter S it will drive you crazy.

She almost whistles it.

by Anonymousreply 121January 17, 2019 8:42 AM

I appreciate having NPR. I wish the weekend shows on my local station were better. Not in to NPR “comedy” shows.

by Anonymousreply 122January 17, 2019 9:09 AM

Does ANYONE enjoy NPR "comedy" shows? They are unbearably lame. If Metafilter ran an entertainment network, I'd imagine it would look like the NPR weekend lineup. "

by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2019 9:31 AM

I love Wait Wait, especially Paula Poundstone.

by Anonymousreply 124January 17, 2019 9:39 AM

Heyyyy, it's Shereen Marisol Meraji.

by Anonymousreply 125January 17, 2019 10:11 AM

R119, maybe it’s just WNYC. And I might be exaggerating slightly, but not much.

Like Windsor Johnston’s sharp “s”, once you notice it, it’s all you hear. There might be stories about a coyote in Central Park or an interview with a Coen Brother, but there’s probably a 50/50 chance that what you’re about to hear is about race (specifically black, because they never address Asians) or immigration. The attention given other “liberal” agenda items is pitiful. Once in a while there will be a story checking in on GAY rights (but they call it “LGBTQ”) or women’s reproductive rights.

It’s like listening to Tumblr half the time.

by Anonymousreply 126January 17, 2019 10:18 AM

Come back, Tod Zwillich!

by Anonymousreply 127January 17, 2019 10:23 AM

Todd

by Anonymousreply 128January 17, 2019 10:24 AM

Speaking of their lame weekend comedy shows, I can't bear Sufira Eisenberg (is that her name?) and her lame trivia contest.

by Anonymousreply 129January 17, 2019 10:38 AM

[quote]Like Windsor Johnston’s sharp “s”, once you notice it, it’s all you hear.

I don't listen to NPR, so I purposely sought out this Windsor Johnston. She was every bit as sssibilant ass you dessscribe, I noticed. And then I realized she was sssimply the announssser introdusssing Windsssor Johnssston.

They were both sssibilant AF.

by Anonymousreply 130January 17, 2019 10:49 AM

If you’re just joining us, Cokie Roberts is here, as she is some Mondays, to help us with the news headlines of the week. Cokie, help us out.

by Anonymousreply 131January 17, 2019 11:39 AM

I went to high school with someone who was the Voice of NPR couple of years ago. They got rid of her because of vocal fry, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 132January 17, 2019 12:54 PM

You buhLEEEEEVVV, R132?

by Anonymousreply 133January 17, 2019 3:02 PM

I love Cokie Roberts and her explanations of the news.

It's my favorite segment on NPR

by Anonymousreply 134January 17, 2019 3:38 PM

This thread has really made me laugh... I don't even listen to NPR that much, but you've hit on all of it.

[quote]Then there are the otherworldly uvular clicks--like, how the FUCK dry does your oral mucosa have to be for your gotdamn UVULA to click? Repeatedly?

This killed me.

by Anonymousreply 135January 17, 2019 3:56 PM

R129, hi it's me, Ophira Eisenberg. I consider myself the funniest and most charming doyenne ever of female comedians. I'm also the most interesting person you will ever know, and the best game show moderator ever.

While it's true that I don't write the lame questions, you are supposed to be so enchanted by me that you don't even notice.

by Anonymousreply 136January 17, 2019 4:49 PM

Welcome Back. If you’re just joining us, I’m Audie Cornish and this is All Things Considered. Gene Demby is here to file a report on Avocado Toast: Millenial Hipster Treat or Cultural Appropriation? We begin with Gene’s interview of a young Honduran woman who remembers her grandma making “Pan Con Avogate” daily for breakfast back in Honduras as part of their family tradition.

Interviewee: Right. So here’s the thing...

by Anonymousreply 137January 17, 2019 5:13 PM

Hey there, I'm NPR Health Corishpondin Rob Stein and I have some draw-dropping noosh about gene editeen from ChinChin provinch in Shyna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 17, 2019 5:49 PM

R92, you wrote, Inskeep's guffaws, Ryssdal's smarminess, Ari Shapiro 's queen voice, Richard Hake's dyslexia, Elsa Chang's fake empathy, Ira Glass's dreadful diction.

Love and lust for Scott Horsley (Horse-hung). That deep commanding voice, the way he says ,"My pleasure!" when thanked for his story. He'd be fun in the sack. And he's cute.

I miss Todd Zwillich from The Takeaway. Very smart, good interviewer, good voice. And a face made for TV.

Paul Cavalcanti is smart and funny and such a relief from The Gasbag.

Lord we must have drinks - I completely agree and don't get me started on Rachel Martin - she is the worst. Personally, I love Mary Louise Kelly (a persistent and focused interviewer without being obnoxious; she also writes books which are nothing like her on-air persona) and Audie Cornish (who I've met and she is bright, intelligent, funny, and warm).

I googled for a Scott Horsley pic and I think you're right.

by Anonymousreply 139January 17, 2019 6:08 PM

Whenever I hear Scott Horsely's name, I always neigh like a mare.

Well, that's not what Scott H-H H-H-H-H-Hhhhhorsely said on NPR this morning!"

My husband laughs every time.

by Anonymousreply 140January 17, 2019 6:54 PM

My very favorite is hilariously named Kat Chow. If your name we’re Katherine Chow, why would you choose “Kat” as your nickname, when there are so many other choices for Katherine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 17, 2019 6:58 PM

Were, god damn it, were!!

by Anonymousreply 142January 17, 2019 6:59 PM

R141, also, she sounds like the type who would read you for filth if you made any remark about her name whatsoever.

Imagine working for NPR around such joyless people that everyone has to pretend that's not even a slightly funny name, even if you were giving a like-minded coworker a ride home, you couldn't say 'Have you ever found Cat Chow in the breakroom [snort!]?' for fear of being fired and publicly Lopated on grounds of xenophobia.

by Anonymousreply 143January 17, 2019 7:10 PM

Elenor Beardsley, Paaaris

by Anonymousreply 144January 17, 2019 8:23 PM

Ofebia Quist-Arcton is an absolute joy to listen to - actually, she's "always a pleasure".

NPR's foreign correspondent coverage is unmatched in the US - only CBS News has overseas corespondents who I think are actually intelligent and know the regions they cover.

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2019 8:37 PM

It's the foundashinnnnn of all my beliefs, R133

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2019 9:00 PM

Soraya Sarhaddi NELLLLL ... sssssoooonnnn, NPR News, Berlin

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2019 11:17 PM

[QUOTE]Elenor Beardsley, Paaaris

The fact that their Paris correspondent has the thickest Texas drawl this side of LBJ is actually kind of amusing. You have to wonder how it affects her French. It's even more amusing because she's from the Carolinas and not Texas.

by Anonymousreply 148January 17, 2019 11:55 PM

Haha R147 has me fucking rolling. She falls down through like 4-5 notes and slows waaaay down when saying her last name. I love it.

Mary Louise Kelly talking through her nose, Ari oozing bottom, and that new gal Ayesha Rascoe trying to not sound ghetto. I love me some NPR.

I do hate the scripted Q&A with field reporters though. Mary Louise is notorious for trying to ask the questions as if the reporter doesn’t have an answer prepared. So cringy.

by Anonymousreply 149January 18, 2019 12:53 AM

FYI - Mary Louise sounded particularly clicky and dry mouthed today. Oh the noises she makes.

by Anonymousreply 150January 18, 2019 1:43 AM

There's a White House repoter on the NPR podcast who's borderline autistic. She interrupts the other repoters during their discussions with sound effects ("Ding ding ding!") and weird non sequiters. She thinks she's hilarious but she's actually awful. She interrupts Stege Inskeep and Mara Liason routinely when they're at their most serious and professional.

She's super annoying.

by Anonymousreply 151January 18, 2019 6:50 AM

Mush mouth Gene Denby shouldn't speak so quickly. He has marbles in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 152January 18, 2019 6:52 AM

Tamara Keith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 18, 2019 7:00 AM

R151

by Anonymousreply 154January 18, 2019 7:01 AM

Not a radio voice.

by Anonymousreply 155January 18, 2019 7:02 AM

Gene. Marbles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 18, 2019 7:02 AM

LaDINO USA.

The exaggerated "authentic" Latino accents... Too much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 18, 2019 7:04 AM

Super annoying.

Code Switch. "Be easy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 18, 2019 7:05 AM

Code Switch is THE epitome of NPR at its most annoying.

A super liberal elementary school teacher in Brooklyn was criticized for teaching students about a dance that miners in South Africa made up and perform in rubber boots.

I'm like, why the hell are they even teaching something like that? Math, science, reading. Not dancing in galoshes.

by Anonymousreply 159January 18, 2019 7:09 AM

So offensive. Yeah, let's go with that.

Gumboot dance. Yeah, that's art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 18, 2019 7:10 AM

The loooong and loud electronica music interstitials on Marketplace. Wastes at least five minutes per episode. Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 161January 18, 2019 7:15 AM

R161m the long musical interludes during Marketplace - an entire program of annoyance. Super smarmy Kai Ryssdal (who sounds like a used car salesman at a beach resort trying to pick up the 'babes' he meets at a tiki bar). He's sounds perpetually bored by the subject/topic he's covering. If not bored, definitely distracted, wanting to do something other than conduct an interview. I hate how everyone is always, "Hey Kai", "Hey Kai", Hey... " So casual, off-the-cuff, hip! No you're not - you're middle-aged public radio employees and it's embarrassing to hear you sound faux-hip.

I loathe Ryssdal with the heat of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 162January 18, 2019 8:59 AM

R131, she's known to her friends--of whom she has many--as "Coke-Head" Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 163January 18, 2019 9:50 AM

R151 anyone who interrupts Steve Inskeep is jake by me.

by Anonymousreply 164January 18, 2019 10:09 AM

I feel bad for Ayesha Rascoe. She's smart, but that voice (the diction, really) is appalling.

R162 bullseye

by Anonymousreply 165January 18, 2019 10:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 18, 2019 10:23 AM

R47, Schwartz and Cavalconte are not on NPR, they're heard only on New York Pubic Radio's WNYC. Paul doubles on their Classical WQXR.

by Anonymousreply 167January 18, 2019 10:31 AM

Speaking of Inskeep, he just praised noted alt-right bonehead Erick Erickson for being "reasonable" in doubting Buzzfeed's breaking news about Trump instructing Cohen to lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 18, 2019 11:53 AM

Melissa Bloooooock always sounds like she’s about to lapse into a coma.

by Anonymousreply 169January 18, 2019 2:42 PM

Hopefully WNYC will change. The culture there seems hysterical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 18, 2019 2:54 PM

So they've never really come up with a real replacement for Leonard Lopate, have they?

by Anonymousreply 171January 18, 2019 3:27 PM

They have, as of about two months ago: Allison Stewart. She's okay, a bit giddy, and she talks too fast, so that her words are a bit mashed up. I think of the various interim people they had for about a year I most liked Jonathan Capehart, a gay journalist who had sometimes subbed for Lopate. A few of the interim people were very obviously chosen for "diversity" and not because of skill.

by Anonymousreply 172January 18, 2019 5:19 PM

R124 I do too! Paula makes that show.

by Anonymousreply 173January 20, 2019 8:33 AM

The way some of the journalists pronounce their names after they spoken in a completely different dialect during their piece - Adolfo Guzmen Lopez and Lakshmi Sing come to mind as the biggest offenders. And to whoever mentioned the Kai Rizzdols music at the end of market place.

by Anonymousreply 174January 20, 2019 3:58 PM

I’ll take any of them over AM radio.

by Anonymousreply 175January 20, 2019 4:44 PM

Yes, but that's a low bar.

by Anonymousreply 176February 1, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]r46 Terry Gross is also a good sport. Here she is in Mike Birbiglia's video in which she sends herself up and plays a bank robber.

[italic] [bold] Fresh Air 2: 2 Fresh 2 Furious[/bold] [/italic]

!!!

by Anonymousreply 177February 1, 2019 1:14 PM

I think she's smart and funny. I don't understand dislike for her. Of course I also like Elizabeth Warren and I know lots of other liberals don't.

by Anonymousreply 178February 1, 2019 1:25 PM

It annoys me that when they have people sharing their personal stories (on whatever show it is), the conclusions are so tenuous, so often relying on "maybe".

"Maybe it was the light, or maybe it was the time of day, but it occurred to me this may be something I should look into further. Or maybe it was something else entirely."

[italic]Why am I listening to you??

by Anonymousreply 179February 1, 2019 1:37 PM

R165, I'm with you about Ayesha. She sounds like a kid in high school. Or middle school.

by Anonymousreply 180February 1, 2019 1:48 PM

It's "LaTHino USA" said really fast. Not "LaDINO USA" lol.

by Anonymousreply 181February 1, 2019 1:51 PM

This morning, Rob Stein's speech defect was apparent in his report on "gene-edited babies."

by Anonymousreply 182February 1, 2019 2:00 PM

I WANT TO like Ayesha.

by Anonymousreply 183February 1, 2019 2:02 PM

R111 That's an awful millennial thing.

They made a point they consider brilliant, and then say "Right? So..." God shut the fucking fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 184February 1, 2019 2:46 PM

R151/R153, Tamara Keith is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 185February 1, 2019 6:57 PM

The class privilege and virtue signaling.

by Anonymousreply 186February 1, 2019 7:02 PM

I bet Air America would do well in these times. The railings would be through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 187February 1, 2019 7:05 PM

I laugh so hard to myself every time this threads gets bumped. I can’t get over that damn Mary Louise Kelly and the frog in her throat.

by Anonymousreply 188February 1, 2019 7:16 PM

I can't stand all the story-teling This American Life knockoffs. The Moth. Snap Judgement (Someone thought adding intrusive sound effects and louder background music would improve that genre. It does not.) Then there is that boring pointless TED talk show.

I listen to the Planet Money podcast and some of the voices are so fried I picture these young women as having chain smoked since they were toddlers.

All of the NPR podcasts have promos for the other podcasts and some insert an extra episode that is just an episode of one of the newer podcasts that is still trying to build an audience. Ugh.

I enjoy Wait Wait, and On The Media (Brooke Gladstone has good insights). I don't understand why anyone still contributes to NYPR after learning the executive salaries, though.

by Anonymousreply 189February 1, 2019 7:49 PM

I'm a left liberal who wants to see CPB, PBS and NPR fully fucking funded by the government again. You do know the reason the government yanked funding right - because those agencies did HONEST reporting and the honesty of it made Republicans look VERY bad. Which was in fact VERY true.

by Anonymousreply 190February 1, 2019 7:55 PM

NPR is so smug and self-satisfied. But whatever. To each xis own.

by Anonymousreply 191February 1, 2019 8:04 PM

Only one mention of me here? I AM SORAYA SAHARDI NELSON damn it.

by Anonymousreply 192February 1, 2019 8:50 PM

I hate various hosts of course, but what really rubs me the wrong way about NPR is that they all insist on using this affected and grammatically abhorrent phrasing of "an historic...". The word "an" should only be used before words that begin with vowels or vowel sounds. Whenever I hear them say "an historic event/occasion/whatever" it sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, or like a retarded person who can't figure out grammar.

by Anonymousreply 193February 1, 2019 9:01 PM

"My very favorite is hilariously named Kat Chow. If your name we’re Katherine Chow, why would you choose “Kat” as your nickname, when there are so many other choices for Katherine?"

You don't understand. Kat is her middle name. Her first name is Purina.

by Anonymousreply 194February 2, 2019 6:00 AM

I swear I heard the UK correspondent (forget his name) pronounce England as “Eng-ger-LAND.” Jesus. He’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 195February 3, 2019 11:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!