Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alison Brie

What do we know about her outside of the Chrissy Metz controversy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 14, 2022 10:37 PM

She’s an annoying and bad actress. How does she get cast? Jessica Fletcher — get on it right now! That’s a criminal act for every role she gets.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2019 4:17 AM

I thought she was very good as Trudy on Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2019 4:18 AM

I also disagree, R1. She was very compelling (and amusing) on MAD MEN--a great palate cleanser to, say beautiful but infuriating Jessica Pare and January Jones.

I don't love or follow GLOW, but I found some of season 1 very funny, and she's very good on it. I have to admire her level of commitment: she has a lovely head of hair and actually chose to get an 80's style perm for her character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2019 4:33 AM

And OP: what is the Metz controversy, and Brie's role in it?

Did Chrissie eat Alison?

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2019 4:50 AM

She's named for a cheese? And she didn't bring any to a hangry Chrissy?

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2019 4:54 AM

She gets all the Dave Franco dick she wants, a woman to be jealous of indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2019 5:09 AM

I've asked this but WHY did the interview say to Chrissy: Hey, Alison Brie's on the other end of the carpet!

Unless they know each other what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2019 5:37 AM

R3 - Cute interview. I love her hair there.

R4- Chrissy supposedly called her a butch.

R5- She named herself Brie. And she did so after the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2019 5:46 AM

I think she's a very good actress. She was excellent in Mad Men. GLOW is a silly show, but she's good in her role and does all she can with it. I've never seen Community, but have heard she was good in that, too. I believe Brie is actually her middle name.

Also, she doesn't want to have kids, which I heartily applaud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2019 5:57 AM

She has a very expressive face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2019 6:32 AM

She got in great shape for GLOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2019 4:26 AM

She was great in Scream 4.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2019 4:38 AM

[quote] [R4]- Chrissy supposedly called her a butch.

And anyone can see she's really a femme!

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2019 4:40 AM

Worked with her on a Beck video. She was a last minute fill in for another actress who dropped out on a Friday. We shot the video on Monday, and she got all the moves down, never made a mistake. Even the dancers were impressed. Very quiet, super nice.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2019 4:52 AM

R12 - Yes! As the assistant.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2019 10:02 PM

very funny on Community, scene stealer on Mad Men

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2019 10:06 PM

did she and Chrissy ever work together on the same show?

how do they even know each other for there to be any bad blood?

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2019 5:30 AM

Dave Franco probably cheats on her.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2019 3:25 AM

She was terrific on Community

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2019 3:28 AM

Gossiping about Joel McHale’s hair plugs with M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2019 5:46 AM

I hope she got a restraining order on Chrissy Metz

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2019 12:24 PM

She's cute. Deserves every nomination she's gotten for GLOW. Hope she wins one day.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2019 1:06 PM

Did Ailson miss the boat by not getting the role of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? At least she’s Jewish, I’m surprised there was no blow back about that for Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2019 2:29 PM

No, she dodged a bullet not having to deal with that insufferable Amy Sherman-Palladino every day.

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2019 11:56 AM

I think she's just tremendous on GLOW. She was doing masterful work on Community as well, especially when it comes to facial expressions. Not a false note in her performance there.

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2019 12:03 PM

Yes, she is masterful at making faces.

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2019 12:30 PM

She fools around with her brother-in-law, James Franco. She used to find him sexy a few years ago, but now it's pity-fuck city.

by Anonymousreply 27February 26, 2019 12:41 PM

What is the Chrissie Metz controversy???

by Anonymousreply 28February 26, 2019 12:41 PM

I get her mixed up with Bree Larson and some other Brie person.

She is a good actress, and I haven’t heard anything bad about her. So thumbs up.

by Anonymousreply 29February 26, 2019 1:09 PM

After GLOW, her most famous role is Annie from that show Community - it has a pretty big cult following as well her character (straight guys especially).

You never hear any gossip about her - I wonder why that is?

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 7:26 AM

Surprisingly low key career. Especially given the almost total paucity of star power these days. Like someone said Mrs Maisel would have been a natural fit, but that’s still sub-Mad Men. I recall her being outspoken about being a slut years ago, so putting out for work shouldn’t have been an issue?

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2019 7:42 AM

[quote]You never hear any gossip about her - I wonder why that is?

I’ve come around to believing the people you read about actively seek out the coverage, in one way or another. Relatively easy to keep a low profile - if that’s what you actually desire.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2019 7:44 AM

Alison Brie has that theater kid vibe about her.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2019 8:50 AM

She's one of the nicest celebs.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2020 7:20 PM

The face at the OP confused me until I realised that I thought Alison Pill was named Alison Brie.

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2020 7:31 PM

Less Alison B.

More Dave B

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2020 7:41 PM

She did a podcast with Dax Shepard a few months ago. She’s enthusiastic but I found her to be a little ingratiating and ultimately annoying. I loved her as Trudy though.

She admits doing a decent amount of drugs and dating/sleeping around some. No apologies though, which I liked.

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2020 7:42 PM

Trudy was probably the most complex female character on "Mad Men" (just as Pete was the most complex male character on the show), and Brie was superb at showing the character's depths. She started out as a nouveau riche WASP princess, but as the series progressed you got a sense of both all that she would do for Peter and also where her limits were with him. I thought she had much more grit than not only Betty and Megan, but even Peggy and Joan (who both in the end seemed a bit shallow).

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2020 7:50 PM

I like her. Her only visible fault is being with the douchey brother of that other douche

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2020 7:53 PM

At least she chose the handsomer of the two brothers.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2020 7:54 PM

I know her husband is a twinky, bossy power-bottom.

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2020 7:58 PM

Our friend who works in the entertainment industry loves her. I always ask him who is nice to work with and who is horrible. He worked with her last year and said Allison Brie is a gem.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote] Our friend who works in the entertainment industry loves her.

Are you Queen Victoria, or do you have multiple personalities?

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2020 8:26 PM

Eesh, point taken. I type how I talk. A friend of my husband’s and mine. I said “our” without thinking

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2020 8:34 PM

I’m very judgmental about celebrities, but I love her. I think she’s lovely - better than many of the stars pushed on us... It’s probably about effing for roles, and I’m gonna say she doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2020 10:27 PM

Doesn't look like Dakota or Leslie are fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2020 11:49 PM

I really liked Horse Girl. Really strange and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote]Dave Franco probably cheats on her.

...with his brother.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2020 5:07 PM

She looked so young on Community and so old on Glow.

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2020 5:16 PM

For the longest time I thought she and Anna Kendrick were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2020 5:17 PM

I'm always fascinated by well-balanced (by Hollywood standards) clean-cut looking celebrities who do or have done certain hard drugs. But do any actually admit to partaking in their current life? It's always "in college" or "a few years ago." I guess some are honest and others are just smart. Lady Gaga is the only one I can think of, but she quickly backtracked and became moralistic about it.

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2020 7:19 PM

I can't tell if her chirpy vibe is an act or really her. Maybe it's that theater kid thing?

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2020 12:01 PM

This isn't anything outrageous, but according to someone on this forum, she had a nervous breakdown on the set of "Sleeping with Other People" because she kept missing up her lines and they were close to running out of time. I can totally see that. She has the vibe of someone who is ready to lose it at any moment. Like a theater kid who is barely keeping it together.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2021 4:21 PM

I wanted to like her because of Mad Men but since she is married to a Franco she is suspect.

by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2021 4:23 PM

She was sweet on Community but not as good as Yvette Nicole Brown. I thought Alison was married to Vincent K from Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 55January 3, 2021 4:34 PM

I adore her. I hope that rumor about the breakdown isn’t true.

She was supposed to be a one episode wonder on Mad Men but she was such a scene stealer she got bumped up to recurring.

by Anonymousreply 56January 3, 2021 4:34 PM

She shot a Mad Men scene in pee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 3, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote] I thought Alison was married to Vincent K from Mad Men.

That’s Alexis Bledel, who played a character he had a pathetic affair with on the show.

Both tiny brunettes with the initials AB.

by Anonymousreply 58January 3, 2021 4:36 PM

Thanks, Bootsy.

by Anonymousreply 59January 3, 2021 4:46 PM

I'd rather have pudgy face Anna Faris, better comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 3, 2021 4:53 PM

I like her a lot too. She’s excellent on Community (disclosure: it’s one of my favorite shows) and Glow. Also very good on Mad Men. I read a gossip blurb somewhere that said she used to donate a full paycheck once a month to a variety of charities when she was working on both Mad Men and Community. It could be bs, but she seems like the type who would share the good luck.

R24 I KNEW it. I knew A S-P was insufferable in real life. She seems the type who talks endlessly about herself and the second anyone says one thing about themselves she gets bored and asks “do you ever talk about anyone but yourself?” All her shows revolve around a self-absorbed narcissist as a main character.

by Anonymousreply 61January 3, 2021 11:37 PM

I’ve also heard she’s a good egg. She was so good on GLOW, it’s a shame Netflix reneged on the final season

by Anonymousreply 62January 3, 2021 11:50 PM

That almost made me homicidal, r62. Talk about leaving a narrative dangling. The show itself wasn't of great consequence, but there were some very good performances.

by Anonymousreply 63January 4, 2021 6:48 AM

Love her as an actress.

Saw her on Kimmel a few months ago, and I was really impressed. She was smart, funny, warm, and really entertaining. Came across as a genuinely nice person and had Jimmy laughing a lot.

by Anonymousreply 64January 4, 2021 8:01 AM

I like her a lot. She's always interesting either as the lead (HORSE GIRL, GLOW) or supporting (MAD MEN, SCREAM 4, that awful Hulu lesbian Christmas movie).

Netflix really sucks for not giving GLOW one more season.

by Anonymousreply 65January 4, 2021 3:37 PM

"Happiest Season" was not awful. Anyway she was in a lot of movies this year. I enjoyed all of them. "Horse Girl" was my favorite, but Promising Young Woman will probably overtake it on repeat viewings.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2021 9:31 PM

She was a very naughty girl on Community and needed periodic punishments by her co-stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2021 10:06 PM

67 posts and no mention of Bojack Horseman?? She was fantastic as Diane.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2021 10:44 PM

I remember seeing a Q&A with some of the Community cast members from back in the day and she was drunk as a skunk.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2021 11:51 PM

I guess you haven’t met friend Brittanie Camembert?

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2021 11:52 PM

I think most comedic actors/actresses and comedians do hard drugs. So it makes sense that she would as well. It's in their personality.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2021 4:48 PM

And a vary good singer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2021 8:10 PM

She comes across as very intelligent. During her scenes in Mad Men, she stole the show. There's another Allison who stars in superhero movies who is bland as hell.

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2021 10:24 PM

I notice there's always been a balancing act with Alison Brie. She wants to this cool girl female comedian who acts super sexual in male-driven nerdy shows like Community and other make-driven movies. Naked in female-driven movies and shows. Flaunts her feet to creeps. Admits to doing drugs and having wild sexual adventures in college. Very delicately defends/apologizes for problematic people like Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase. But she doesn't push it too far because she doesn't want to offend more sensitive progressive types. She also hasn't done a sexy photoshoot in years and doesn't take on male-driven nerd fantasy "Community" or "Get Hard" type roles anymore.

by Anonymousreply 74March 31, 2022 8:40 AM

She never apologized for her cultural appropriation playing an Asian woman. Even Emma Stone apologized for that and promised she'd never do it again.

by Anonymousreply 75March 31, 2022 9:00 AM

She was good in Horse Girl on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 76March 31, 2022 9:56 AM

R75 I had to Google that absurd shit and yeah, she did say she regrets voicing an Asian cartoon. Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 77March 31, 2022 9:58 AM

I only know her from Happiest Season & Promising Young Woman and she was great in both of them.

by Anonymousreply 78March 31, 2022 10:39 AM

Horse Girl was a great, weirdly disturbing film and she was fantastic in it.

I really hate Netflix for not doing a final season of GLOW. Allison and Betty Gilpin were great together.

by Anonymousreply 79March 31, 2022 10:46 AM

She never even talks about Community anymore.

by Anonymousreply 80April 7, 2022 10:08 PM

She doesn't want kids and that's very admirable. A woman who doesn't want to have a child seems very sci-fi or something.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2022 1:53 PM

R76, another case of appropriation!

by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2022 2:05 PM

I bet she’s down for MMF three-ways with Franco

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2022 2:09 PM

Yes I said before she has access to some nice James Franco dick.

It's probably not stinky the other Franco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2022 2:10 PM

She even flat-out admitted to being embarrassed by some of her earlier photoshoots.

by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2022 7:18 AM

The Britta character on "Community" is the embodiment of what a Republican thinks all liberals/progressives are like. The writers treated her like crap. i know Dan Harmon is an asshole, but I wonder if he's a Republican as well?

Overall, "Community" isn't nearly as funny or clever as it thinks it is. And it largely upholds the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 86May 14, 2022 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!