Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking back, which movie score has stood the test of time while the Oscar winner has not?

I love movie soundtracks (not vocals) and some are favorites.

Curiosity led me to check on some of those that I like to see if they were the Oscar winning score.

I was surprised, for example, to see that "The Magnificent Seven" score, while nominated, lost the Oscar to the score for "Exodus".

And astonished to see that Bernard Hermann's score for "North By Northwest" was not even nominated.

Which Oscar winners do you agree with and which winners are more forgettable than some of the losers?

There were some changes to the name of the Category, so some years there were different Oscars given for scoring of a musical vs scoring for a drama or comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2019 11:07 PM

I think Alexandre Desplat's score for "The Queen" is his masterpiece, and better than Gustavo Santaolalla's score for "Babel"

This is my favorite piece from "The Queen": the unnerving "People's Princess" theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2019 3:13 AM

Most of Bernard Herrmann's great scores were not even nominated: Vertigo, Marnie, Fahrenheit 451, Sisters, Obsession...

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2019 3:40 AM

plus Taxi Driver r2

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2019 3:40 AM

I was very surprised the score for Rain man didn't win. I love that music!

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2019 6:07 AM

Too popular a choice, but there's so much in The Empire Strikes Back score is his most emotional and memorable score. Tess won. forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2019 6:29 AM

I can't believe that "It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae beat out "Rainbow Connection".

Everyone knows Rainbow Connection but who would even know the lyrics to It Goes Like It Goes??

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2019 6:29 AM

The Silence of the Lambs has great music. It sounds so cool when they play it here when Jodie wins the Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2019 6:33 AM

It's a shame Once Upon a Time in America couldn't qualify to even be nominated.

I do love the score to Tess r5 but Empire is amazing. In fact, all of Williams' scores for the Star Wars films are excellent, even the prequels, which are underrated (the scores, that is).

Blade Runner is another brilliant score although E.T. (which won) is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2019 6:46 AM

The Natural (specifically the scene where G stands up in the bleechers and he hits a homerun) is much more memorable than A Passage to India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2019 6:51 AM

Borehood

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2019 9:46 PM

John Barry's, "Inside Moves" is still absolutely heartbreaking to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2019 9:57 PM

Too many genius Jerry Goldsmith scores to mention. Still reeling from the fact that his majestic music to 'Star Trek The Motion Picrure' lost out to George Delure's 'A little Romance' back in 1980. I mean, WTF!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2019 10:06 PM

Thanks OP this my kind of thread. I love the soundtrack to The Heiress (1949) by Aaron Copeland. It always seems ahead of its time to me. Very beautiful and dramatic. I also love the music in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2019 10:12 PM

Chariots of Fire is alright

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2019 10:17 PM

My two favorites are Born on the Fourth of July and The Music Box. Prologue from Fourth of July is so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2019 10:24 PM

Round Midnight winning over The Mission, one of the most beautiful scores ever composed.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2019 10:32 PM

I'm still a little sore that Queen didn't get a nomination for their score for "Flash Gordon," or for "Princes of the Universe" from "The Highlander."

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2019 10:33 PM

Not film but...Ramin Djawadi does not get nearly enough credit for his incredible music on Game of Thrones. I loved, loved, loved the concert.

Joseph LoDuca did a great job with the Spartacus series.

An underrated FILM soundtrack for me has always been Ever After.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2019 10:33 PM

'The Sheltering Sky' is my favorite score, and it wasn't even nominated. It makes me tear up, every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2019 11:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!