Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Possible sighting of a Tasmanian tiger

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2019 10:20 PM

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2019 4:25 AM

The article says it happened Jan. 4,2019.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2019 4:29 AM

Donald Jr and Eric are putting together a hunting expedition as we type!

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2019 4:31 AM

Why would anyone capture it?

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2019 4:31 AM

Because there are assholes who would love to capture and kill an endangered animal.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2019 4:35 AM

The head doesn't look like it matches the body, but they both look like a thylacine.

It had been speculated that some survived on the Australian mainland due to being kept in private menageries.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2019 4:35 AM

And eat them, r5.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2019 4:38 AM

Chupacabra

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2019 4:42 AM

Oh God. I was a kid when that Chupacabra craze happened lmao

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2019 4:43 AM

They should close the area, and send in some trustworthy wildlife biologists, if anyone.

The best thing they could possibly do is keep people out of the area forever, and give the poor beast a chance to reproduce without any grief from us, but what are the odds that they actually will.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2019 8:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2019 8:16 AM

No, there are no more. They would find evidence of it such as bones or scat droppings. Better off looking for a passenger pigeon or a ivory billed woodpecker.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2019 10:01 AM

It turned out to be a Chinese woman from Hobart.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2019 10:05 AM

It looks more like a coatamundi to me, although the area is way off.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2019 5:18 PM

The YouTube says "4/11/2016."

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2019 1:08 AM

r12 I think they are extinct, & the video has to be doctored, because if it isn't they're alive. That is a thylacine, no question.

I don't agree they necessarily would have found scat/tracks. I've been fascinated by these animals since I was a child, and I've read a lot over the years. All the descriptions of the possible habitat area include large, isolated tracts that most outsiders don't see. Those traces would easily be naturally destroyed before humans could get a chance to verify them. The locals allegedly have a contact number for a few wildlife biologists who will discreetly investigate any evidence, and keep their locations/names out of the public domain. The obvious problem is the time lapse between sighting and investigation. There have been "credible reports" over the years, but nothing definitive.

With mobiles being as good as they are now, I think a good video would've surfaced if they were still alive.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2019 5:58 AM

R11, I will never understand the need to hunt, stuff or skin an animal for sport.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2019 6:05 AM

I don't know. I only hope that there's still a chance for these wonderful creatures. It's a tragedy that we ever lost them in the first place. Our species can be so incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2019 6:29 AM

I read that it's highly likely that there are still thylacines in Papua New Guinea, but they are in too remote of an area to check it out properly. Tribespeople of the area are apparently aware of them.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2019 6:29 AM

There have been thylacine spotted over the years. And no, not like Big Foot sightings. Documented. They need to be given a protected environment I which to procreate, flourish, and be FABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2019 6:56 AM

If there were any left they would've either been spotted, left a trace or died out from lack of appropriate partners.

You need quite a few to have a viable population which means they WILL leave a trace. If only say six or ten are left, they won't live long because they will inbreed and that will be their demise. These things have been gone now for over 75 years.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2019 7:13 AM

Bring back the Barbary lions, too.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2019 7:26 AM

r21 doesn't that depend in part on the remoteness from humans & size of appropriate habitat? (Theoretically, it's not impossible--although I think they're gone.)

I also don't remember how many offspring they have. Being marsupials I imagine complicates matters.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2019 7:33 AM

"If there were any left they would've either been spotted, left a trace or died out from lack of appropriate partners. "

I don't think that's true of Tasmania, and it's certainly not true of New Guinea. Certainly New Guinea is largely genuine wilderness, as in there are no roads and much of the country is completely inaccessible to civilized people. Not to mention it's rain forest, where remains of anything vanish quickly. I believe Tasmania is also thinly populated enough that wildlife that wished to avoid humans could do so easily enough, I believe there is still a vast amount of this rocky scrubland where humans don't go or hardly ever go, I mean look at this landscape and imagine there's the skeleton of a Tasmanian tiger under one of those bushes. Would you ever find it?

No, I'm saving the "where are the remains" argument for Bigfoot, which is supposed to inhabit moderately well populated parts of the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2019 7:42 AM

I have to agree with the Daily Mail commenters on this one. The farmer claims the animal was unafraid of him and sat there for 5 minutes, yet all he has to show for it is one conveniently grainy photo? You'd think someone would be excitedly snapping tons of pics and recording video if they actually came across one.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2019 7:51 AM

"Hope” is the thing with feathers "

A quote from Emily Dickinson, and also, a very good book, which I highly recommend. I hope (so very much) that this species has survived. I don't believe it, but I will cling on to every possible hope for it. Sometimes, don't you want to be proven wrong?

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2019 8:01 AM

[Quote] I read that it's highly likely that there are still thylacines in Papua New Guinea, but they are in too remote of an area to check it out properly. Tribespeople of the area are apparently aware of them.

Well they could do a lot worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2019 10:30 AM

It is an interesting video but I don't think there are any left, sadly. A great creature my fucking nation destroyed, and should be ashamed. If there is some alive, and there has to be more than one as the last one died decades ago, then a small pack somewhere in the Tasmania wilderness is possible, but there would have to be enough to breed over decades.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2019 10:38 AM

[quote]'Voice of the forest': George the snail, last of his kind, dies at age 14

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2019 9:10 PM

Nothing has made me hate a group of people like that dog meat festival.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2019 9:17 PM

I saw a Great Auk and it was eating an Ivory Billed Woodpecker. I didn't know which one to shoot.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2019 1:57 PM

Don't worry, if this is found to be a Tasmanian tiger, human will do everything in its power to kill it.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2019 4:04 PM

Humans really have ruined the planet, haven't they?

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2019 9:00 PM
by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote]A frog believed to be the last of his kind in the world has been granted a reprieve from solitude. Romeo, known as the world's loneliest frog, has spent 10 years in isolation at an aquarium in Bolivia. Scientists say they have found him a Juliet after an expedition to a remote Bolivian cloud forest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2019 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!