Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SEX EDUCATION on Netflix

It’s a high school show. But it’s in Great Britain, there’s plenty of nudity, gay characters, hot actors, and it’s actually funny!

Oh, and the very first episode shows tits, ass, and two dongs (one of them super huge).

All centered around a recluse high school junior whose Mum is a sex therapist. His bff is a gay black kid (I know, very Molly and Duckie).

by Anonymousreply 201November 25, 2019 4:55 PM

Naked high schoolers?

Uh nope.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2019 8:00 PM

Oh, and the sex therapist mum is a very skinny, very blonde, very British Gillian Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2019 8:07 PM

I just It’s much more than just high school kids shagging. It’s also about all that other shit high school shows are about. Fitting in, cliques, getting invited to parties, prom, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2019 9:53 PM

The best friend is a smoking hot actor who has to make a concerted effort to come across as geeky and undesirable (by the self appointed in-crowd), and he does a pretty good job at it. Decent actor.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2019 8:05 AM

The Brits aren't hung-up like Amewr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2019 9:30 AM

R5 **like Americans**

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2019 9:31 AM

Not interested in quasi-exploitative teen comedies commissioned by horny, much older producers. It doesn’t sit well with me, and this applies to Riverdale, Sabrina, The 100, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2019 9:41 AM

Yup, r5, that’s Hung as Hell Adam in the show.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2019 10:24 AM

Just discovered there’s lesbian mums too

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2019 11:09 AM

Are the actors 29 year olds playing high school kids a la Glee?

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2019 11:22 AM

I quite enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to watching the rest of the first season this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2019 12:32 PM

Still, r6 r5, it would have been nice to see his dong in all its frontal glory, rather than that from-the rear shot.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2019 12:37 PM

No, r10. A la BH 90210.

In reality, Asa Butterfield is 21, Connor Swindells, 22.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2019 12:40 PM

R10- When the movie GREASE was filmed Stockard Channing was 33 years old and playing a high school student.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2019 12:57 PM

Which is the standard age for teen shows, specially if there are sex scenes. On Elite the ages were from 18 to 24

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2019 12:57 PM

You have to be 18 or over, don't you, before you're not being pulled out of scenes after two minutes, to go have cookies in the kitchen with Mrs. Martinez?

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2019 1:00 PM

That dude was wearing a prosthetic.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2019 1:16 PM

Seriously, r17?

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2019 1:23 PM

There were full frontals on the Instructional videos accidentally played by the lead

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2019 1:27 PM

True, r19, but that's not the dong we were looking for. Connor Swindells' was.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2019 1:30 PM

Asa Butterfield reminds me a little of Topher Grace.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2019 1:39 PM

It's really weird. It's like they've transplanted an American High School into the UK. UK schools are nothing like that. We don't wear those jock jacket things or have school branding all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2019 2:23 PM

Is that a typical public (US definition, not UK) high school, r22?

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2019 3:17 PM

R23 It's nothing like a UK school, anyway. We also don't have hallways lined with lockers so the TV/film trope of having someone be bullied up against their locker is really out of place.

I don't know if the writer is American or something but it just doesn't look or feel right. I'm not suggesting I was expecting a documentary but when we see obviously American images injected into what's supposed to be a British environment, it really grates.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2019 3:25 PM

Hey, r23, what does "Head Boy" mean? Would that be like our Student Body President?

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2019 3:53 PM

Maeve (?) living in a 'trailer park' is also weirdly American for something set in Britain. We don't have those here. If she's supposed to be poor she'd be living on a council estate.

Is it based on an original American story?

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2019 5:06 PM

The writer, Laurie Nunn, is Australian which kind of makes sense. Australian High schools tend to look like their American equivalents rather than the British.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2019 5:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Lately Netflix has a wonderful group of new shows

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2019 5:26 PM

Final credits are given to the Film Boards of England and Wales.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2019 5:27 PM

How is it set in today's society when it looks like it's from the 1980's? Their clothes, hairstyles etc remind me of 1985, yet they had laptops and cell phones, wtf?!

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2019 5:36 PM

It is very odd. The cars are really old and cheap but they live in multi-million pound mansions with all mod cons. Yet the headmaster of this huge school with brilliant facilities lives in a three bed terrace.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2019 5:43 PM

Enjoying it. Something you wouldn't see coming out of the US. Whatever happened to "No Sex Please, We're British.?" I always thought that the British were very uptight because France and Greece and post-Franco Spain had nude beaches Britain didn't have. Maybe it's the Conservative government.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2019 5:57 PM

Finished it this morning. Good little series. The gay kid had a good arc.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2019 7:03 PM

[quote]Are the actors 29 year olds playing high school kids a la Glee?

That young? I guess it could work.

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2019 7:17 PM

Of course they couldn't make the main male character gay, had to be his friend. Oh well, at least it's representation.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2019 8:31 PM

R35: If the best friend has an storyline that just make it better than 90% of american shows (lately the token gay characters are back).

I find it very surprising when the gay character in Merlí was the son of the main character instead one of his students (of course that show has a gay creator and that character was not the only gay in the show)

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2019 8:34 PM

Has anyone gone to a showing of Angry Inch dressed in drag ?

Would a Webster lookalike help you get over a Margot Robbie lookalike ?

Still I liked the series. Gillian is becoming more interesting as she gets older. I hope it get renewed.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]Gillian is looking more like the original G as she gets older.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2019 9:04 PM

I can't tell if i like it or not. It's a very british show and they're talking about sex, those two things are grating on my American ears.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2019 9:17 PM

Of course the gay sex scene was a lot less explicit than the lesbian scissor scene. Fucking hypocrisy. I'm so sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2019 9:37 PM

I wondered where this was filmed since it looked nothing like England. Turns out I was right. It was filmed in Wales. England is nowhere near this beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2019 9:38 PM

I know Gillian Anderson really is British but there's something off about her accent.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2019 9:45 PM

Wait is that Gillian Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2019 9:48 PM

While I can accept Gillian Anderson speaks with a British accent since she was brought up here, there is still something 'off' with her accent.

She actually speaks more convincingly when she's being interviewed than she does when she's acting.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2019 9:55 PM

Interesting, r24 and r26. I’m enjoying the series, but do feel free to tell us about all the things that are wrong. Kind of adds to the attraction.

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2019 10:50 PM

It could've been Netflix who decided to make the show more international friendly.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2019 11:03 PM

Gillian can definitely do the British accent (born in Chicago but raised European) but her inflections tend to slip into American mode. It’s all cute enough.

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2019 11:10 PM

r47 I agree that she's not going full obnoxious with the accent like most brits

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2019 11:16 PM

I found it weird. Like Gillian Anderson, but the rest felt off--inauthentic and trying way too hard. Found Derry Girls much, much funnier

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2019 11:19 PM

I suspect this TV show is VERY inaccurate—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2019 11:32 PM

I wanna watch!

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]what does "Head Boy" mean?

Sadly, not what you think.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2019 12:53 AM

Wis there had been a warning about that lesbian sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2019 1:46 AM

Head boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2019 4:04 AM

Ncuti Gatwa on His Unapologetically Queer Character in Netflix’s “Sex Education”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2019 6:51 AM

The BIG DANCE was on a school night?!

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2019 11:43 AM

I enjoyed the comedy in this series but it's otherwise a complete mess. They've Americanised it as if they were after the Riverdale audience but it's rated 18, all the cars have 80's registrations but everyone has a smartphone and laptop.

Obviously I can understand Netflix going for an international audience but the British school depicted in this series is completely alien to British people. No-one on this side of the Atlantic has ever worn a school-branded jacket with "swim team" on it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2019 1:03 PM

I had so many issues with this show, the time period it was set in, the Americanization (the trailer park, the prom, even the school looked American). What bothered me the most though was that the gay characters were stereotypical. Will we EVER see out and proud masculine gay men on tv? Yes, I know about the plot twist in the last episode, but he was a self hating closet case, something we have seen a million times before. Last but not least the gay sex scene was pathetic and nowhere near as explicit as the lesbian sex scene. I'm sick of the double standard when it comes to gay men. Only lesbians are allowed explicit sex scenes. It's such bs. The whole show was a mess. The only good thing about it was some strong acting at times.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2019 1:31 PM

I am 4 minutes into it and the American telephone on the wall in the British household jumped out at me.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2019 1:39 PM

Connor Swindells reminds me of James Marsters from his Buffy days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2019 1:49 PM

Americans have to put up with British playing Lincoln, MLK, and Superman, yet some of you complain about lockers and the wrong phone on the kitchen wall...

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2019 2:19 PM

The song that played during the saliva games

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2019 2:39 PM

R61 you don’t “have to put up with” British actors playing Americans - it’s mostly invisible as they are acting...the same as most of the time it’s invisible when Toronto stands in for American cities.

This isn’t invisible and it’s not ‘just lockers’ and the phone.

It’s a full American TV high school with English accents in the Welsh countryside.

I find the odd mix of eras (is it the 80s or today?) far more annoying than the school. The sex therapy angle would make more sense in the 80s...

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2019 3:38 PM

Asa reminded me of Joshua Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2019 3:42 PM

It's not that invisible, r63. Anyone who lives in the US knows when Toronto is being substituted for a US city...much like British folks know that the show had been Americanized. The rest kf the world doesn't care.

Also, not all Brits playing Americans have the accent down and that can be distracting.

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2019 3:44 PM

Remember Asa as a child on Merlin. Interesting that how many actors I like were on Merlin: Colin & Bradley of course, also Tom Ellis, Holiday, Asa etc.

Asa is the most high profile now, hoping that Colin makes it big in Hollywood too. Certainly has the talent.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]the same as most of the time it’s invisible when Toronto stands in for American cities.

I can almost always tell, but I'm old and have watched a lot of TV.

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Is Asa Butterfield British? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2019 4:09 PM

I'm not really enjoying the show. I don't care about the Wales v. UK thing, or the Americanness of the high school. I simply don't find the storytelling compelling. And I had a super-intrusive mother, so Gillian Anderson's character makes me run screaming to the Datalounge. Which is the problem defined, really. I find it more interesting to be online than to watch SEX EDUCATION.

I'm sure I'd like it more if Asa's character were gay. And Adam.

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2019 4:10 PM

While the Adam storyline went pretty much where I was expecting, wasn't really a fan with how it ended. Hopefully there'll be a second season to improve it.

Also fuck them for not showing any actual gay sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2019 12:20 AM

There wasn’t as much nudity as I was hoping/expecting.

by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2019 12:25 AM

You aren't alone in being confused about that r22. Very odd production choice.

[quote]Netflix’s Sex Education is set in a British school – so why does it feel so American? Breakfast Club lockers, Letterman jackets, American footballs in the corridors – where is this British comedy meant to be set?

Basically it is just a blatant attempt to make it more familiar to American audiences.

[quote]Gillian Anderson told RadioTimes.com that this was a purposeful move from the writers and Netflix, and pointed out that it’s an element many British viewers will clock but that Americans will probably miss. “There is a bit of both worlds, decidedly, in the series, and the aim and the hope is that Americans won’t notice,” she says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2019 12:43 AM

[quote]How is it set in today's society when it looks like it's from the 1980's? Their clothes, hairstyles etc remind me of 1985, yet they had laptops and cell phones, wtf?!

Look at teen series success Riverdale, Netflix is copying that. Giving it a period piece aesthetic although it still set in the modern day.

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2019 12:46 AM

Asa has beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2019 2:12 AM

R74, and a big beautiful dick.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2019 2:13 AM

Would be nice if he didn't look like a 15 year old boy though

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2019 2:15 AM

Is Otis asexual? I don't think I've ever seen a asexual lead character on TV before.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2019 2:44 AM

With everything that's happened to him, I wouldn't blame him if he were.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]That dude was wearing a prosthetic.

Yeah, full frontal doesn't count when it is a prosthetic!

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2019 3:06 AM

I kind of hope he is. It would make a change from the usual teen narrative.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Australian High schools tend to look like their American equivalents rather than the British.

I went to high school in the US, England and Australia. The Australian and English schools were more similar to each other.

These were all private schools, but I still think your statement is incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2019 3:41 AM

Yeah I have never seen a crowd get excited over a swim meet like it was a football game. The swimmer who was Maeve’s boyfriend was too short to be big man on campus but he was very good looking.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]The swimmer who was Maeve’s boyfriend was too short to be big man on campus but he was very good looking.

He isn't a "big man on campus;" he has been designated by the faculty as the best student. He is the head prefect.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]The swimmer who was Maeve’s boyfriend was too short to be big man on campus but he was very good looking.

He’s no Doug Simpson, that’s for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2019 6:00 AM

R70 This always happens. Explicit lesbian sex scene but then refusing to show a gay male sex scene. I'm sick of the double standard. It's like this on every tv show. Gay men are neutered and barely there while the lesbians get to kiss and have sex.

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2019 6:44 AM

I am glad to others found the show oddly international. As an American brought up in a trailer park, I was delighted to see a UK one as I’d never seen one depicted. Interesting to learn albeit unsurprising that it’s inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2019 7:31 AM

I find it a bit sad that demographic appeal was more important than authenticity. To me it would have made the story plots and character developments more compelling. This was like watching Belle getting an abortion so her and the baby are not getting in the way of Beast becoming a Prince.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2019 8:14 AM

r75, where can we see Asa's "big, beautiful dick"?

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2019 8:30 AM

No place , Rose. Asa still looks like a 10 year old child actor.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2019 8:34 AM

Just realised that Adams mother played the deputy headmistress on Bad Education.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2019 8:39 AM

Completely useless trivia:

Asa Butterfield 's co-star Tanya Reynolds (Lily) is on another show called Delicious (starring Dawn French). The show also stars Emilia Fox who, as Asa Butterfield, played a regular guest character on Merlin.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2019 8:45 AM

It's like the time Joey Heatherton played Lola Falana's character in that Laugh-In skit, I'm sure.

I don't understand why people seem to demand such locative verisimilitude from a light entertainment show produced by a GLOBAL CORPORATION.

GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL GLOBAL

I'm totally high, can you tell?

I can.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2019 9:02 AM

The Americanization didn't bother me too much, but I was wondering why Gillian Anderson agreed to do this since it wasn't really such an interesting part for a woman of her talent. Easy paycheck?

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2019 9:16 AM

It’s a job. Girl’s gotta pay her high mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2019 10:34 AM

I assumed that caravan parks existed. In Broadchurch, the crazy lady lived in a rundown caravan. I also remember the caravans in something else - maybe Glue?

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2019 11:15 AM

Caravan parks exist. Lots of people in the UK live in caravans. Particularly hippies.

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote]I find it a bit sad that demographic appeal was more important than authenticity. To me it would have made the story plots and character developments more compelling.

I agree. I like seeing shows set in other countries because I enjoy seeing the differences. If you wanted to have it be an American highschool setting, just set it in America.

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2019 1:10 PM

r95, Glue was about gypsies who either travel around or live in trailers because nobody wants them nearby.

by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2019 1:24 PM

There was a scene where Gillian's character was stilling at the kitchen table cradling her mug of coffee, or perhaps it was tea. Need I say more? I've only watched two episodes but I'm finding it easy to watch.

by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2019 1:48 PM

Detention until the end of term R99! Be gone! I can't stand the sight of you.

by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2019 3:51 PM

[Quote]Will we EVER see out and proud masculine gay men on tv?

There have been tons of masculine gay characters on television, what a ridiculous thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 101January 15, 2019 3:17 AM

R101, but they aren't SEXUAL.

BTW, I'd love to see your list of these "Tons".

by Anonymousreply 102January 15, 2019 3:21 AM

Idk, of shows I've watched I can think of a fair number off the top of my head.

A lot of the "Looking" characters. Richie, Dom, Kevin.

Ian and Mickey from "Shameless"

Omar from the "The Wire"

Connor from HYGAWM

John Cooper from "Southland"

Max from "Happy Endings"

Sam Adama from "Caprica"

Captain Jack Harkness "Torchwood"

Oberyn Martell "Game of Thrones"

(Last two were bi to be fair)

I'm all about more gay characters, but your comment was very hyperbolic.

by Anonymousreply 103January 15, 2019 3:40 AM

I'm sorry, R103, but exactly how many of those shows are on RIGHT NOW?

And how many of those characters were allowed to be fully and unapologetically sexual, dating and having sex the way lesbians are. Ian & Mickey, and Captain Jack Harkness and Oberyn… so you've named... three?

by Anonymousreply 104January 15, 2019 4:31 AM

Connor on How to Get Away With Murder, especially during the first season.

by Anonymousreply 105January 15, 2019 4:33 AM

How is the new guy, Dr. Kim, on Grey's Anatomy? (I don't watch.) Is his character written as a doctor who just happens to be gay, or is he found in a sauna exposing himself or making passes at straight men in the hospital? I've been watching Sex Education and I'm okay with the two gay characters that have been introduced so far. I recognize the character Eric as a couple guys I knew in high school and college. Also Anwar, who was more like me and my friends in school. The two moms of Jackson were okay (perhaps a little over-played), but what I'd like to see is a gay character where being a gay male, lesbian, bi, or trans is just written into the story without any embellishment.

by Anonymousreply 106January 15, 2019 4:58 AM

Omar and Andres in Élite

by Anonymousreply 107January 15, 2019 7:58 AM

Love the scene where Otis and Lily try to have sex. Lily's attempt to be alluring while dancing and Otis shrieking in terror whenever Lily tries to kiss him. The funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 108January 15, 2019 8:40 AM

Lily looks surprisingly attractive as soon as her geeky clothes come off. You can tell she’s an attractive actress portraying an awkward unattractive girl and she does a good job at it, becoming desirable only at these special funny moments:

by Anonymousreply 109January 15, 2019 8:50 AM

R106, I’m going to infer that you haven’t seen the whole season through yet because you are omitting other gay character(s) and I SERIOUSLY hope you weren’t the complete asshole Anwar is when you wee in school. SPOILER he doesn’t improve. He gets worse.

by Anonymousreply 110January 15, 2019 8:53 AM

Why didn't they Americanize the dong?

by Anonymousreply 111January 15, 2019 9:08 AM

Tanya Reynolds (Lily) reminds me of Billie Lourd (Scream Queens, American Horror Story: Cult / Apocalypse). Tanya is great in another show, Delicious, but her character is pretty fucked up and dark.

by Anonymousreply 112January 15, 2019 9:10 AM

Anwar is a secondary character at best. He doesn't get a lot of time apart from being the gay one in the Mean Heathers gang and being dismissive towards Eric and shutting him down whenever Eric tries to talk to him.

Spoiler:

The biggest part he plays is when Eric punches him in the face and Eric apologizing for it later.

by Anonymousreply 113January 15, 2019 9:14 AM

R103 You are full of shit. Most of those characters aren't even on tv anymore. Besides, that's a huge time period. Everyone can name shows with gay characters in the past 10 years. The lesbians get those numbers in a year, while the gays have to go back 10 to even have enough to count. There's literally a 1 to 20 ratio on gay to lesbian chatacters on Netflix. I counted. And even those gay characters are NOT allowed to kiss let alone have sex.

by Anonymousreply 114January 15, 2019 9:26 AM

R107 They were NOT allowed to have sex, unlike all the other straight characters so you just proved my point. Also, Elite is Spanish. Foreign tv shows tend to be slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) better with gay characters. They too have more lesbians on tv, but at least the ratio is like 1:10 or 1:5 compared to the US. Also, they are on average more sexual than their American counterparts although Elite fucked up there.

by Anonymousreply 115January 15, 2019 9:34 AM

[Quote]I'm sorry, [R103], but exactly how many of those shows are on RIGHT NOW?

PREACH

[Quote]And how many of those characters were allowed to be fully and unapologetically sexual, dating and having sex the way lesbians are. Ian & Mickey, and Captain Jack Harkness and Oberyn… so you've named... three?

👏👏👏👏

by Anonymousreply 116January 15, 2019 9:37 AM

[Quote]There have been tons of masculine gay characters on television, what a ridiculous thing to say.

Absolutely not true. Even the few who were masculine were not allowed to have sex. Eric is yet another stereotypical gay character, just like Titus on UKS, Sean on Corrie and the list goes on and on and on. These characters are the comic relief. They are played up for laughs. Here we have YET ANOTHER show that falls into this trope and on top of that he wasn't allowed an explicit sex scene like the lesbian couple on the show. Hypocrisy at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 117January 15, 2019 9:42 AM

[quote]Eric is yet another stereotypical gay character

Really? He's your idea of a stereotypical gay? Not mine.

by Anonymousreply 118January 15, 2019 9:44 AM

At first it was "ever" in all caps, but now it is only currently airing characters count. That's called moving the goal post.

by Anonymousreply 119January 15, 2019 12:58 PM

Yeah r58, immafraid you never “EVER” said anything about just current shows in your original complaint. And when presented with plenty of evidence to refute your point you added a new rule about shows that are in nowadays and shows that are not European because the Euros are more loose.

You lose, you were wrong, admit it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 120January 15, 2019 1:43 PM

I’m afraid

Shows that are ON nowadays

by Anonymousreply 121January 15, 2019 1:44 PM

R120 has reading comprehension problems.

And is indignant when called out on them.

by Anonymousreply 122January 15, 2019 1:48 PM

No one has called me out on anything, r122. I’m just the OP, not the guy who listed the examples of previous shows with stable out gay male characters.

by Anonymousreply 123January 15, 2019 2:12 PM

You forget to add Leonard Pine played by MCW on Sundance’s Hap & Leonard

by Anonymousreply 124January 15, 2019 2:23 PM

^make that MKW

by Anonymousreply 125January 15, 2019 2:27 PM

Alec Lightwood in Shadowhunters.

by Anonymousreply 126January 15, 2019 3:49 PM

[quote]Is Otis asexual? I don't think I've ever seen a asexual lead character on TV before.

I'm still working my way through season 1, but considering that Maeve showing him a bit of intimacy lead to a raging erection that wouldn't subside, he doesn't seem very asexual. Just has a ton of hang ups about sex, which considering how strongly he has associated sex with his mother his whole life, there are a lot of issues there to unpack.

by Anonymousreply 127January 16, 2019 3:14 AM

SPOILER

R127, his erections get very graphic down the road

by Anonymousreply 128January 16, 2019 6:26 AM

Graphic = fake dicks

by Anonymousreply 129January 16, 2019 9:15 AM

R129 - It's a show about teenagers. Were you expecting anal cream pies and bareback piss orgies?

by Anonymousreply 130January 16, 2019 9:23 AM

I watched it last week and I liked it more than I expected. It was sweet. I liked how they tackled many issues. The strange look and strange accents did not bother me. And I have a major crush on the one who has a huge dick (fake or not). Also, the black gay kid and the relationship with his father was beautiful. I also loved the anti-abortion girl and that whole episode. I am sure that season 2 will suck. And Gillian Anderson (who I will see on stage again next month in ALL ABOUT EVE, after a great Blanche at St Ann'sW) is really wonderful, fake accent or not. Gorgeous woman and great actress. She should be more recognized.

by Anonymousreply 131January 16, 2019 10:48 AM

Still hot, r129. And as a matter of fact, it’s exactly the fact that it’s a fake representation that I find hot. I wouldn’t be turned on at all by watching a real 15-year old get an erection FFS!

by Anonymousreply 132January 16, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]I wouldn’t be turned on at all by watching a real 15-year old get an erection FFS!

Connor Swindells is 22 "FFS!" Presumably his penis is the same age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 16, 2019 11:54 AM

Duh. I know, r133, hence my labeling the whole thing a fake representation. And Asa is 21,BTW. That’s what I like, adults reminding me of what it was like to be a horny kid. I DON’T like actual horny 15-year olds.

by Anonymousreply 134January 16, 2019 12:19 PM

Ncuti Gatwa who plays Eric is 26, I think he is the oldest the regular teen cast. Though he does honestly look younger than his age.

But yes, no one wants actual teens in these highschool shows, the audience prefers to look at 20-somethings.

by Anonymousreply 135January 16, 2019 12:25 PM

R117- You are right. That HBO show GIRLS had one gay character in it. The show was supposed to be SO contemporary and original but the gay character ELIJAH was a stock FAGGOT character designed for laughs. He was SCENEY, QUEENY and very BITCHY.

by Anonymousreply 136January 16, 2019 12:47 PM

I just finished watching episode 8. Is this all of the episodes for this season? Yes, I searched via Netflix, Google, IMDB, Wiki, and nothing about how many episodes in this season.

by Anonymousreply 137January 16, 2019 7:53 PM

IMDB shows 8, r137. And episode 8 felt like an "end of season" ep, didn't you think?

by Anonymousreply 138January 16, 2019 7:57 PM

R138 You're right. E8 did seem like a final episode. Bummer.

by Anonymousreply 139January 17, 2019 12:44 AM

A lot of British shows have small episode orders, so 8 episodes isn't surprising.

by Anonymousreply 140January 17, 2019 2:39 AM

Most streaming/cable shows have short seasons, so it isn't surprising either way. Even now some broadcast television is starting to make the move to shorter seasons.

by Anonymousreply 141January 17, 2019 2:45 AM

My Experience Being In Netflix's Sex Education

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 19, 2019 4:19 AM

^ Nothing more boring than an extra making it all about himself ... for 11 minutes! ^

by Anonymousreply 143January 19, 2019 5:20 AM

This is a great show. Dirty as hell, yet still wholesome.

by Anonymousreply 144January 19, 2019 6:01 AM

Finished the season now.

The homophobic bully being a closet case is now a well worn trope, wasn't surprised to see it used again with Adam. They sort of telegraphed that with how much screentime they had together and how much Adam was always staring at him.

Though in reality Adam would be a headless torso on grindr asking for "masc for masc".

It was a fun little series though, look forward to the next one.

by Anonymousreply 145January 20, 2019 2:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 20, 2019 4:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 20, 2019 4:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 20, 2019 4:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 20, 2019 4:40 AM

I loved this show. Somehow dirty and wholesome at the same time. Skins, but less cynical

by Anonymousreply 150January 21, 2019 5:04 AM

I had so many issues with the show; the era looked more like 1980s than 2019, the americanization, the filming location that was clearly not England. My biggest issue however was with the gay character. Once again he is the stereotypical gay sidekick only there for comical relief. I'm sick of it. Seems like we will never get masculine gay characters on tv, sigh. Also, don't get me started on the fact that the lesbians got an explicit sex scene but not the gays, of course. So fucking typical. I will however say the actor who played Eeic did a great job, despite me disliking his character. The actor is clearly talented. I'm also glad that he was a gay POC character, not many of those on tv. It pisses me off though that the one masculine gay character on the show is a self hating closet case. Oldest trope ever. And like he would EVER fall for a guy lile Eric? Lol bitch please. Nah. This show was a mess from start to finish. I hope the Eric actor gets better material next time becaus he's very talented.

by Anonymousreply 151January 21, 2019 6:15 AM

The actor that played Adam was really good. Brought some depth to what could have been a crappy, one-note character.

by Anonymousreply 152January 21, 2019 6:16 AM

Where was his "depth," r152? I only noticed the "one-note."

by Anonymousreply 153January 21, 2019 6:22 AM

[quote]And like he would EVER fall for a guy lile Eric? Lol bitch please. Nah.

Your mind is very narrow. Some masculine guys do go after feminine men. Otherwise you’d never get any.

by Anonymousreply 154January 21, 2019 7:48 AM

R154 Some may fall for the femme twink type, but even then they are usually pretty boys. Eric is not even pretty. I just can't picture someone like Adam falling for someone like Eric. Totally unrealistic. I can sorta picture Adam going after Eric just because he's one of only two openly gay guys at school. In that scenario it's realistic, but only for sex. There's no way someone like Adam, a 9, would fall for Eric, who is more like a 2.

by Anonymousreply 155January 21, 2019 8:10 AM

Your silly numbers are a matter of opinion. I think Eric is hotter than Adam.

by Anonymousreply 156January 21, 2019 8:17 AM

Eric is very good looking but the way he carries himself isn’t attractive. I’m sure his role was written as flamboyant and they thought he would be funny. They were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 157January 21, 2019 8:22 AM

I don’t know why some of you bitches are complaining, this show is totally where we are as a society atm. This series isn’t really about individuals, it is about Identity Politics.

You have the Black school star , son of two Lesbians , both of whom are multi racial. You have every single White man an idiot or an asshole or absent. The most loving family is Black , the most fucked up White and of course the asshole White kid is a closeted Gay, while the fabulous and likeable Gay guy is Black and obviously when you have obsessed with Trans issues and a Gay Community that doesn’t know if that pushes Trans issues over most Gay people’s life experiences, the Gay guy has to be guy wanting to be fabulous as a girl. This is exactly what people have been pushing for years. Now you have it. Hope you are happy.

On the other hand I liked the show. I read that though set in Wales , it could be anywhere at anytime, hence the Globalists wet dream. You are not supposed to be thinking where in Wales it is . You are supposed to be thinking it could be anywhere at anytime. Hence the 80s feel, but the 2019 vibe . The American school in the British countryside gives it the widest possible feel

by Anonymousreply 158January 21, 2019 9:46 AM

R158 again. I actually loved Eric and I thought the relationship with Adam and Eric was quite realistic. I was bullied nearly every day of my school life at 15 and called a Fag, by the same guy who sucked me off in the evening at boarding school.

I loved the way that the show reversed expectations by having Adam go down on Eric , instead of the porn view of “ I bet you want to suck my dick fag” Again realistic . I wouldn’t suck the school bully’s cock until he sucked mine and he did a good job.

As for the Lesbian /Gay sex difference , a bit of reality needs to hit some of you . According to Pornhub 7% of searches about are in Gay Male Sex, which is great but just so we don’t lose all grasp on reality , it also means 93% of porn searches are not and the biggest search? Lesbian porn , both men and women and guess who makes up and pays for most of the viewing Public , that would be 93% of the population, Straight people.

Now I love Gay movies and I love being Gay , but to expect the Straight World to give as much attention to Gay sex is totally unrealistic. It doesn’t follow reality and tbh it all comes down to market share. If you have a potential market of 93% who might buy your film ,as opposed to 7%, who are you going to cater for?

by Anonymousreply 159January 21, 2019 10:26 AM

I agree r152. Connor Swindells has some talent.

Also it is interesting that Ola in so many ways was coded as a lesbian even though she is meant to be a love interest for a male character, I mean showing up in a tux is a classic dyke move.

by Anonymousreply 160January 21, 2019 2:18 PM

r160

she also wore a rainbow sweater when Otis spoke with her at work(when the old lady yelled at them)

by Anonymousreply 161January 21, 2019 2:30 PM

Why they have a gay guy who has no sex or romance whatsoever .the ugly girl from the,swingband had her tits out with a gay guy bit nothing on the gayside . The rest is fucking their brains out but Otis hasnt any sex or romantic scène nor is the lead . I found it a bit confusing that American feel when you are watching a show that plays in britain . Nobody speaks with a Brit accent . They all sound like Americans and look like americans . No sorry I watched 3 episodes and I have enough of it . The straight guys will love this shitfest . Lesbian sex that’s a fantasy of most straight men . Haha

by Anonymousreply 162January 21, 2019 4:34 PM

Loved the plumber’s ass

by Anonymousreply 163January 21, 2019 5:09 PM

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 164January 24, 2019 2:20 AM

The show or the ass, r164?

by Anonymousreply 165January 24, 2019 8:56 AM

I got through it. I didn't love it. I will watch again because of the last episode reveal.

by Anonymousreply 166January 24, 2019 8:59 AM

Wow, you didn’t love it and you’ll watch again just to look for color or clues? I’d hate to see what you do when you like something. Do you watch ten times, madturbate, and cum on the TV screen?

by Anonymousreply 167January 24, 2019 9:32 AM

"Color or clues"?

by Anonymousreply 168January 24, 2019 9:54 AM

"Again" was not the best word to use. What I meant was that I'll watch the next season, not that I'll watch this season over again.

by Anonymousreply 169January 24, 2019 9:56 AM

Ah ok, better.

To watch for “Color or clues” meant to watch for nuances that hint at the reveal, r168.

by Anonymousreply 170January 24, 2019 10:55 AM

[quote]Eric is not even pretty. I just can't picture someone like Adam falling for someone like Eric.

How incredibly silly, R155. Those are your opinions. I personally don't think that Adam is that attractive. However, we're not the characters in this story.

Eric is a kind and decent person. Adam may come off as a jerk but the series goes through great lengths to point out that his parents have a lot to do with that. As a matter of fact, Eric is the only one Adam bullied who stood up to him and now Eric is the only person who has been kind to Adam. They're a lot alike if only because neither seems to care what anyone at school thinks of them and as one of the characters pointed out, they're both outcasts. That's why they've connected. Adam watching the conversation between Eric and his father was leading up to this.

Down the road, Eric can easily give Adam the love that he so desperately wants because he has it to give, and that may also make Eric a better person. Although I do hate the idea of the bully and the bullied falling in love but many teenage relationships can be screwed up at their core. There is also clearly no one else around other than one gay student who isn't interested in Eric and who doesn't even like anal.

Let's break this down R151

[quote]The filming location that was clearly not England.

It was shot in England and Wales.

[quote]Once again he is the stereotypical gay sidekick only there for comical relief. I'm sick of it.

He wasn't there for "comic relief" any more than any of the other characters were in this comedy. He had very serious moments throughout the series including the touching scenes with his father.

[quote]Seems like we will never get masculine gay characters on tv, sigh.

So this was your problem with him? I hate to tell you this but femme gay men exist and they can be lovely.

[quote]Also, don't get me started on the fact that the lesbians got an explicit sex scene but not the gays, of course. So fucking typical.

Their sex scene was meant to be comedic. You got that, right? They showed it because it played into their story later on: that they're not actually compatible, they don't know what they're doing and one isn't into the other.

[quote]It pisses me off though that the one masculine gay character on the show is a self hating closet case. Oldest trope ever.

And sadly still an accurate one.

[quote]And like he would EVER fall for a guy lile Eric? Lol bitch please. Nah.

Already covered.

by Anonymousreply 171January 24, 2019 11:45 AM

Brav@ r171! Great analysis and wonderful post all around. And I’m glad there are people on DL not hung up on ”masc only.”

by Anonymousreply 172January 24, 2019 11:58 AM

I believe Adam is jealous of Eric's good relationship with his father who accepts his gay kid who likes to dress up in drag. And it's Adam's main attraction to Eric who, in his own unique way, is quite the badass, because yeah, I do believe it takes quite some balls to go out dressed up in drag especially in these deplorable Trump times.

by Anonymousreply 173January 24, 2019 1:06 PM

I do get it feels a bit like wish fulfillment. Look, the bullied gay kid gets a masc stud with a giant cock!

But whatever, nothing wrong with that. It's a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 174January 24, 2019 1:11 PM

A closet case is not someone who doesn't "care what anyone at school thinks of them."

by Anonymousreply 175January 24, 2019 3:40 PM

20 mins andthe gay characters are fugly, I am out!

by Anonymousreply 176January 24, 2019 10:04 PM

[quote]A closet case is not someone who doesn't "care what anyone at school thinks of them."

R175, you do realize that there's a whole spectrum between straight and gay?

We know he has been able to have sex with women before and his inability to ejaculate wasn't linked to his sexuality. He also sucked a guy's dick, a day or even hours later, almost held hands with him and then ... what? He got shipped off? Who knows how he'd feel about any of that in a week or a month? Who knows if it's a spur of the moment thing or if he's always thought about it or maybe it's something he'll dabble in? It's too soon to call.

He literally pulled his dick out in front of the entire school and talked about his feelings, after spending time before and after beating up other students despite the fact that his father is headmaster and threatened him with military school. I think that's a clear indicator that he doesn't care what other people think at least about most things. He spent the series embarrassing himself no matter what boundaries his ex put up and he just kept going.

by Anonymousreply 177January 24, 2019 10:45 PM

Renewed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178February 1, 2019 1:43 PM

[quote]you do realize that there's a whole spectrum between straight and gay?

If you say so.

by Anonymousreply 179February 1, 2019 1:45 PM

I loved the lady that played Miranda Priestly.

by Anonymousreply 180February 1, 2019 4:29 PM

Asa also has another movie out called Then Came You starring him, Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), and Tyler Hoechlin (Teen Wolf, Supergirl).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181February 1, 2019 9:45 PM

Good. I hope Asa gets back with the Margot Robbie lookalike and we see more hot gay sex with the school bully.

by Anonymousreply 182February 1, 2019 10:01 PM

They also need to resolve the loose end regarding whether or not the girl gets expulsed.

by Anonymousreply 183February 1, 2019 10:21 PM

The not ugly girl needs a makeover episode. I just love and hate it when she gets called ugly.

by Anonymousreply 184February 1, 2019 10:26 PM

Love her

by Anonymousreply 185February 1, 2019 10:26 PM

R155 LOL, I just googled the Adam actor and thats supposed to be a 9? Excuse me while I die laughing. Whiteness is a helluva drug, huh

And no, I dont think Eric is good-looking either. So on the basis of looks, these two fugs deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 186February 2, 2019 12:09 AM

There actually wasn’t much real male nudity.

by Anonymousreply 187February 2, 2019 12:29 AM

All nudity was humorous, except for the “adult” roles.

by Anonymousreply 188February 2, 2019 3:39 AM

Unlike Élite, where actual “high school kids” were boning naked, within a serious frame.

by Anonymousreply 189February 2, 2019 3:41 AM

Javier Muñoz saying what we're all thinking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 9, 2019 5:36 AM

Sex Education Best Friends Challenge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 7, 2019 9:30 PM

Can't wait for the second season.

by Anonymousreply 192March 7, 2019 9:53 PM

I like this.

by Anonymousreply 193March 29, 2019 12:00 AM

Team Elite.

by Anonymousreply 194March 29, 2019 12:01 AM

Season 2 has started filming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195May 2, 2019 1:41 PM

Another shitty Netflix show that won't depict GAY SEX. The show had no issue depicting lesbian sex though, of course. Same shit happened on Bonding. Explicit straight sex yet ALL the gay sex happened entirely off screen. Such bs.

by Anonymousreply 196May 2, 2019 2:52 PM

R196 they were too ugly anyway, we don’t want to see ugly actors depicting sex

by Anonymousreply 197May 2, 2019 6:51 PM

This show was very good! I have to admit that I found Maeve's character to be the most annoying one on the show.

by Anonymousreply 198May 14, 2019 7:03 PM

Elite deserves way more attention here. Like big little lies meets 13 reasons why...but with more nudity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199June 21, 2019 6:22 AM

First look at season 2. Adam's hairy chest at military school! 🤤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 14, 2019 4:06 PM

Second season drops January 17th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 25, 2019 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!