Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sao Paulo

Is it as nightmarish as it looks on Google Maps/Street View? Who here has been there?

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2019 12:29 AM

Not a nightmare at all.

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2019 7:41 PM

Try the floating slums of Lagos, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2019 7:42 PM

Try Philly or East St. Louis yet?

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2019 7:46 PM

OP, I've never been to Brazil but would like to go someday. I have a few Brazilian acquaintances who tell me right now is not the time to go though. I'm going to hold off a few years until the situation improves and would like to check it out eventually...

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2019 7:55 PM

Used to have the world's worst airport. Now they have a beautiful new one.

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2019 7:57 PM

Brazil is a very dangerous country. You have a very good chance of being kidnapped or killed if you step foot in it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote] Is it as nightmarish as it looks on Google Maps/Street View?

What I've seen of it on Google Street View looked gorgeous, but I assume it's a place of extremes (much like the whole country).

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2019 8:22 PM

It's a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2019 8:28 PM

It's like you took Chicago and combined it with Detroit, Cleveland, St Louis and for good measure Baltimore.

Then blew it up ten times as big.

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2019 8:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 11:24 PM

not as bad as you think.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2019 11:27 PM

Lots of hot cock for $100.00 or less.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2019 11:35 PM

It depends very much on the neighborhood you're in. Vast stretches of it seem like a fully developed, world class city. Other others are rife with poverty, drugs and crime.

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 1:22 AM

If you value your life, you don't go to Sao Paulo.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2019 8:49 PM

I flew over it at night and the lights of the city seemed to go halfway to Argentina.

Huge city!

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2019 9:09 PM

World's biggest gay pride parade.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2019 9:53 PM

Yes, it's that bad.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2019 10:43 PM

From here, it looks like a dystopian hell out of a young adult sci-fi novel.

I have no plans to visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2019 11:24 PM

My partner goes there several times per year for work. When he's there he has a local guide (one of his employees). He says the traffic is absolutely horrendous and he spends hours upon hours in a car waiting for traffic. Businesses are corrupt, but the people are lovely. He's frequently invited and goes to colleague family homes and dinners and has nothing but nice things to say. Maybe because he has contacts there and is there several times per year, he doesn't feel it is dangerous. I'm talking about Sao Paulo by the way!

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2019 11:32 PM

Ugliest city I’ve ever been to, and that includes Beijing (which at least has a few pockets of gaudiness).

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2019 11:36 PM

I've been a few times for business. I remember the first time I was there and the company I was meeting with sent an armored SUV to pick me up at my hotel. Turns out that is quite common in SP. People of means usually have drivers / body guards. The better hotels have a high level of visible security. The Paulista neighborhood is quite nice and the Emiliano is a wonderful hotel in that area of the city.

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2019 11:59 PM

R12 - Is this the future of repulsive old gay men? Paying others to touch your saggy old body?

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2019 12:13 AM

If you're going to the trouble to fly to Brazil, go to Rio instead. Just as unsafe, but gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Sao Paulo is staggeringly ugly and profoundly unsafe. Good restaurants and culture, but otherwise no.

Tons of auto body places that do "blindados" (armor plating for car doors, bulletproof glass for the windows). There are defensive driving classes in SP that teach you how to get out of shooting range before they can fire 4 shots (the number needed to break the bulletproof windows).

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2019 12:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2019 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!