Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tiffany Welles

My unsung angel. Nice video montage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2019 10:21 AM

The sophisticated angel.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2019 8:46 PM

I unapologetically LOVED her.

She took a tongue-in-cheek approach to the show and her character.

There are several moments where it looks like she is just going to break out in laughter at the ridiculousness of some of the lines/plots.

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2019 8:49 PM

The stripper name Tiffany undercuts the veneer of sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2019 8:53 PM

REPUBLICAN BITCH...

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2019 8:53 PM

She was no Tanya Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2019 8:56 PM

R5, none of the Angels were like that unsophisticated cunt!

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2019 9:01 PM

With Roberts, they were obviously trying to recapture the harder, lipstick lez vibe that Kate Jackson gave off. But Roberts was just a terrible actress and had no chemistry with Ladd or Smith.

by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2019 9:16 PM

Tiff was my 2nd fave. Kelly was my fave.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2019 10:37 PM

When I left, no one cared about Tiffany and the ratings plummeted. Viewers missed me as the smart Angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2019 10:54 PM

I had Shelleys poster of her with her blue raincoat on. She didn’t seem to have much of a bustline.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2019 11:03 PM

Um, r9 doesn’t know her ass from a hole in the ground. Tiffany was “smart” !

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2019 11:19 PM

God, I ❤️ that woman!

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2019 11:41 PM

Her hair was always bushy and dry looking - it stood out - and that era was filled with bushy, dry hair!

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2019 11:50 PM

Beautiful woman, lousy fucking actress. She made Jaclyn Smith look like Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 14January 3, 2019 11:54 PM

R14= idiiot

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2019 12:00 AM

The guy who went to bat to get Shelley hired immediately regretted it, as she turned into a megabitch the first week.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2019 12:00 AM

R15 = Shelley Hack

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2019 12:08 AM

R16 That was Nolan Miller, he was the costume designer for the show. He really pushed Aaron Spelling hard to hire her. Her being "the Charlie girl" in commercials running on TV then, sealed the deal. They thought they could milk that and get additional publicity. And yes, Miller said she was nice at first and then turned into a demanding bitch very quickly.

Her acting was so bad in her first episode, they cut a big chuck of her lines and save them to Cheryl Ladd. She improved some as the season progressed, but ratings were dropping significantly and she rubbed too many people behind the scenes the wrong way, so she was fired.

Her firing was very poorly handled though. They were taping on a Valentines Day and Jaclyn, Cheryl and David Doyle all got invitations to return for another season. She didn't find out until the next day when the press called her to ask for comments about her being fired from the show.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2019 12:15 AM

Bullshit r18

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2019 12:17 AM

R19 All of what I was posted was true. The Nolan Miller interview is on youtube where he talks about how bitchy Shelley became, the part about her being so bad in her first episode, cutting a bunch of her lines and them giving them Cheryl was from the Charlie's Angels Casebook, taken from an interview with Ed Lasko, who was a writer on the show, and the part about her being fired was in People Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2019 12:29 AM

EAT ME!!!

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2019 12:30 AM

Did you know that Tiffany is the love child of Anne Welles and Lyon Burke?

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2019 12:56 AM

R20, LInks and receipts please!

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2019 1:04 AM

Nolan Miller said Shelley wore clothes well but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2019 1:14 AM

[quote] Her firing was very poorly handled though. They were taping on a Valentines Day and Jaclyn, Cheryl and David Doyle all got invitations to return for another season. She didn't find out until the next day when the press called her to ask for comments about her being fired from the show.

So she had to film all of the remaining episodes of the season knowing she would not be returning?

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2019 4:14 AM

Link and Receipts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2019 1:12 PM

Thanks for posting r26. So reading the transcript, Miller says Shelley became a bitch months into filming. Her struggle with acting began right in episode one per upthread comments. My take is that she struggled to perform, and then she got stressed out and started at some point holding others responsible for her struggle. It's just a hunch of course, but I see that pattern sometimes at work when people have a hard time meeting expectations. She probably became difficult when she couldn't get it right, but not right away.

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2019 1:55 PM

I do feel sorry for Shelley, as they seemingly tried to place all the blame about Season 4 on her. The biggest problem of the season wasn't her acting (when was Charlie's Angels about the acting?) but the increasingly repetitive, dull, scripts, the focus on one Angel per episode (removing the camaraderie), and their clumsy attempt to take on Serious Issues (not the time or place!) And yet the writers weren't fired, only her. I suppose she had a bit of revenge in that Season 5 was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2019 2:07 PM

I liked Shelley Hack and saw her as a breath of fresh air when she was brought on. She wasn't bad at all. The scripts were bad.

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2019 3:01 PM

ok. here's my rundown of the angels:

Jill: pretty, kind of stuck on herself. was into race car driving and later thought she was "miss big shit".

Kelly: pretty, but had a bit of a wall built up around herself due to her childhood. she was tender n tough.

Sabrina: smart but acted like she was a lesbian when she was not.

Kris: earnest to try shit to solve cases. was a little bit too perky.

Tiffany: smart, pretty, brought east coast sophistication to the group.

Julie: pretty

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2019 3:08 PM

Tanya and Shelley did the best they could given the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 31January 4, 2019 4:01 PM

Julie brought a past career as a shoplifter to the group.

by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2019 4:05 PM

Shelley Hack was not a good actress on CA but she hardly made Jaclyn Smith look like Meryl Streep as R14 thinks. Smith was terrible too and I think Hack improved (somewhat) in subsequent roles. I don't Smith ever did improve although she managed to land a ton of Danielle Steel-type TV movies post-CA where acting talent was not required. Yet Smith was always my favorite Angel. I have no idea why because it wasn't like she possessed a ton of charisma either.

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2019 4:13 PM

Drew Barrymore- combo of Sabrina (boss) and Julie (slut)

Cameron Diaz - combo of Jill and Kris (blonde, upbeat)

Lucy Liu - combo of Tiffany (sophisticated) and Kelly (tough)

by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2019 4:18 PM

Here a review of the Season 4 DVD that had a compilation published quotes from people that worked on the show on why they thought Shelley didn't work on the show. Some were easy on her and some sure weren't!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2019 5:27 PM

People Magazine article on her firing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 4, 2019 5:28 PM

I like Jaclyn Smith, but never thought she was much of an actress either, but I thought she fit great for the show. Leonard Goldberg said ABC called them after seeing a preview of the pilot and wanted to fire her because she couldn't act! Ultimately of course she stayed with the show until the bitter end.

The Goldberg interview, he start talking about Jaclyn Smith between to 4:30 to 5:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 4, 2019 5:35 PM

As derided as Shelley was, at least she didn't have someone pick away at her filmography in a major newspaper. A very bitchy (yet funny) review of Jaclyn's career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 4, 2019 5:44 PM

Jaclyn was perfect for the range required for Charlie’s Angels - she understood the tone of the show and worked well with Farrah, Kate and Cheryl. By Season 4, however, she was completely over it -this maybe lent itself to Kelly coming off as a bit nasty to Tiffany at times.

On the other hand, Jaclyn could never do something like what Shelley did in “Vanities”.

by Anonymousreply 39January 4, 2019 5:46 PM

r35 - interesting comments from her co-stars.

Jaclyn Smith: "Shelley came in with stronger opinions than Cheryl did, which can sometimes be a mistake in an ensemble show...Cheryl really tried to fold into the groove of the show, but Shelley had her own ideas."

David Doyle: "You didn't get the feeling that these girls hung out together away from the office."

Ladd: "There was a whole bunch of things going on that Shelley took a lot of shit for that she didn't deserve."

by Anonymousreply 40January 4, 2019 5:52 PM

“Shelley was treated like total shit because they were fucking jealous!”

by Anonymousreply 41January 4, 2019 5:58 PM

Unfortually for Shelley, she didn't have a high Q score like Jaclyn did. Jaclyn managed to appeal to gay and straight men and women (many of whom are threatened by beautiful women). Not sure how lesbians feel about her, but she seems liked by a good amount of people. A number of women would also buy clothes from her clothing line. She was really smart branding herself and made herself very rich.

I think Shelley came across and little too aloof and elite to be able to make it big. While she did manage to improve as an actress, you need to be able to appeal to a wide audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2019 6:02 PM

I guess that’s why she was the face of Charlie cologne and on the front cover of fashion magazines prior to CA because she didn’t appeal to a wide audience? Paleezee!

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2019 6:06 PM

Jaclyn had the brains to ride out the series and use her once-in-a-lifetime weekly network TV exposure as a springboard to continued employment in TV movies and business/endorsement opportunities. Farrah left too early and her movie career rapidly fizzled.

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2019 6:18 PM

R44 Farrah had critical and commercial success with The Burning Bed and Extremities in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2019 6:20 PM

Thanks for posting Leonard Goldberg's interview, R37. I loved what he said about Jaclyn--that it was impossible to take a bad picture of her and many directors tried to get bad angles, shots, etc., but couldn't because Jaclyn was so beautiful. I think that was a huge part of her appeal. She looked so beautiful but it was an accessible beauty because she radiated a sweetness to go along with her stunning looks. Like R42 pointed out, women loved her (she was my mother's favorite Angel) and men thought she was hot. That's a killer combo and hence the high Q rating.

by Anonymousreply 46January 4, 2019 6:21 PM

Men didn’t really like smart women. Still don’t. That’s why compared to other angels, Kate and Shelley weren’t as popular.

by Anonymousreply 47January 4, 2019 6:24 PM

R45 True, but I was talking about when/why she left the series in 1977: Somebody Killed Her Husband/Sunburn/Saturn 3 were big screen b.o. disasters and her movie career as a star was essentially over. Extremities did OK years later as an low-budget indie. Other than that and The Apostle (small role), there was nothing. David Caruso did the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 48January 4, 2019 6:36 PM

Farrah got a lot of good reviews for Small Sacrifices (she was great in that one) and some of her other TV movies. She even got some Emmy, Golden Globe and Ace Award nominations.

by Anonymousreply 49January 4, 2019 6:45 PM

Shelley wasn't required to speak for her Charlie commercials, so of course she had appeal. Then when she got the CA gig, she had to speak and all bets were off. No one was responsible but her. Her subsequent non-CA efforts like DEATHCAR ON THE FREEWAY and her short-lived TV series JACK & MIKE proved that as an actress, she made a great model.

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2019 6:51 PM

She was also in the critically acclaimed movie King of Comedy in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2019 7:37 PM

Farrah received most of her 80s acclaim via the nbc tv movie The Burning Bed where she portrayed a battered wife who killed her husband.

by Anonymousreply 52January 4, 2019 7:38 PM

FYI who insists Farrah was over after CA... True she never had the level of mass-cultural popularity as she did while on CA, she still had post CA success.

Extremities is a 1986 American thriller film starring Farrah Fawcett, Alfre Woodard, Diana Scarwid and James Russo. It was adapted from the successful, yet controversial, 1982 off-Broadway play of the same name by William Mastrosimone.

Both Fawcett and Russo had appeared in the stage play (Fawcett taking over a role originated by Susan Sarandon), and Fawcett received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress for her performance in the film.

by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2019 7:41 PM

The Burning Bed starring Farrah Fawcett:

Having adapted the book into a made-for-television movie, Goldemberg's screenplay, The Burning Bed, premiered on NBC on October 8, 1984. Directed by Robert Greenwald, the film starred Farrah Fawcett as Francine Hughes and Paul Le Mat as Mickey Hughes.

The movie was filmed in Rosharon, Texas. The house that served as the Hughes' home still stands today.

Ratings] The movie premiered with a household share of 36.2 ranking it the 17th highest rated movie to air on network television.

Critical response Television critic Matt Zoller Seitz in his 2016 book co-written with Alan Sepinwall titled TV (The Book) named The Burning Bed as the 7th greatest American TV-movie of all time, writing that "The film was a landmark in terms of content, depicting domestic violence as an unambiguous horror and a human rights violation". Seitz also praised the performance of Fawcett as "one of the finest in the history of TV-movies"

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2019 7:44 PM

Roger Davis tried to get his then-wife Jaclyn Smith cast as nuVictoria Winters on Dark Shadows to replace the exiting Alexandra Moltke (she of Klaus von Bulow fame). The actress they picked, Betsy Durkin, was atrocious, so one can just imagine how awful Smith's audition was not to make the cut.

by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2019 7:46 PM

Tiffany Welles was my favorite!

by Anonymousreply 56January 4, 2019 9:00 PM

The whole show was stupid!

by Anonymousreply 57January 4, 2019 9:47 PM

Tanya Roberts seemed like such a weird casting choice. She was beautiful but didn't have any chemistry with the others. And her blatant sexuality was at odds with Cheryl Ladd and Jaclyn Smith who were looking like middle-aged soccer moms by that last season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 4, 2019 11:05 PM

I still think poor writing was responsible for the show's demise. The writing WAS shit. Aaron Spelling pretty much outlawed good writing. Yes, he understood to ride a trend and get out shows with relevant concepts in their time. But that's all he understood. He did not understand how to build longevity for a show if that even was a goal. Everything was developed for one or two seasons with no concept on how to go beyond.

Having said this, I really want to know who deliberately botched the reboot in 2011. The concept of the show could have held its own. But it was so poorly executed like it was designed as a tax write-off. They chose the absolutely worse writers (those dialogues!) and actors. The show still has a workable concept. Just imagine what CA could convey in this #MeToo era if done right. Maybe the new movie is a starting point for a new TV show.

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2019 12:13 AM

Good Times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2019 12:20 AM

Weird that intro at r60 doesn't show a second of Kate Jackson or Tanya Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2019 12:35 AM

Interesting observation.

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]She was also in the critically acclaimed movie King of Comedy in 1982.

The movie was critically acclaimed, not Shelley. She was also in a Woody Allen movie, but didn't have many lines. For good reason, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2019 12:39 AM

Punt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2019 12:43 AM

R59 They actually made an attempt to improve the scripts after about 4 or so episodes, but after the show started airing and was a massive hit even with the lackluster scripts so they just said forget it, it's a hit so why mess with success. Producer Barney Rosenzweig, who worked on the shows first season talks about that in this video interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2019 10:49 AM

all of those who like tiffany welles can stay in here. all of the motherfuckers who don't like her can jump in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2019 1:39 PM

Thinkin bout her. Thinkin bout my Tiff!

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2019 5:09 PM

I hate to tell you this R7, but Jackson NEVER gave off a lipstick lez vibe.

With 10 being a lipstick lez and 1 being a bulldkye, Jackson was a 5.

by Anonymousreply 68March 10, 2019 7:08 AM

Thank you R38 I've been looking for that article ever since I read it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2019 10:54 AM

I am OBSESSED with Tiffany Welles and all things SEASON 4.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2019 11:45 AM

I liked her unique acting style. She was different.

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2019 5:51 PM

Patrick Duffy is sleeping with Jaclyn and Cheryl today but is passing on Tiffany for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2019 9:15 PM

R72, I just saw that episode and was shocked to see Mr. Brady himself on it. Robert Reed hated Brady Bunch but he appeared on this. Overall, it was interesting because they were trying to transition to a different type of detective show, more glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 73March 20, 2019 1:05 AM

Robert Reed was also a villain on Wonder Woman and a "guest star" on the Love Boat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 20, 2019 1:14 AM

He was on all of the shows that appealed to the gays!

by Anonymousreply 75March 20, 2019 12:37 PM

If only this had happened. Tiff could have left the agency to become their Bosley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 23, 2019 7:43 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2019 9:19 AM

Please make this the introducing Tiffany Wells part 2 thread!! Pleaaaase

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2019 9:30 AM

The problem with Julie is that every scene she was in you always expected by the third line in she would be saying to whoever her scene partner was (male or female), 'Do you want me to take off my pants and panties?'

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2019 10:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!