Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trader Joe's 2019

Let's chat about our fave store!

by Anonymousreply 301July 25, 2019 12:32 PM

I love their vegan frozen meals. And I'm not vegan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2019 5:42 PM

The most overrated place on the planet?

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2019 6:04 PM

i was wondering if the vegan orange chicken was good. glad to know. i like the vegetable quesadillas

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2019 6:11 PM

I have a few of these in the evening for a treat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2019 6:16 PM

I got really, really sick from the beef and broccoli Asian dinner. Actual projectile vomiting. And now I feel a little iffy about shopping at TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2019 6:20 PM

Why are there always so many Trader Joes threads on DL? WHY???

Oh, because OP is a SHILL.

F&F the OP.

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2019 7:01 PM

My parents dog loves all of TJ's dog treats. There's a bunch of "dog snacks" (versus actual dog food) that they get him, including these dehyrated chicken strips that look like chicken jerky. He goes crazy for those.

I'm a big fan of the Montezuma chocolate. It's 100% cacao and has no sugar but somehow is actually quite tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2019 7:08 PM

Love everything but their bread. It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2019 7:09 PM

I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like the Orange Chicken. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2019 7:14 PM

I’m not a fan of Trader Joe’s. Their food is too simple. I don’t want to look down on the shoppers but my taste palate is more sophisticated and refined.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2019 7:34 PM

In my area, the most revolting fake people line up at Trader Joe's. I have to find this spy cam thing on YouTube where they asked people to try out various recipes, etc. and they were all from WalMart. Everyone said shit like "Omg, SEE, BUFFY, this is why I love Trader Joe's - taste this orange chicken!"

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2019 7:39 PM

I ate a bag of Colgate potato chips over Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2019 8:33 PM

I've only tried one type of TJ's bread - multigrain, thin sliced, sesame seeds on top - but I really liked it. The slices were large dimension-wise but had fewer calories than that kind of bread usually does. Plus it's only $2.99 a loaf which is much cheaper than Arnold but just as good and fewer calories.

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2019 11:01 PM

I like to go into trader joe’s just to see what the pretentious yuppies are buying. It’s fun. For about 8 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 3, 2019 11:12 PM

Jackfruit Cakes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2019 2:12 AM

[quote]I got really, really sick from the beef and broccoli Asian dinner. Actual projectile vomiting.

Do you think he's telling the truth?

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2019 2:22 AM

All of their food tastes cheap. I don't get the attraction. It's not good food. It's not even as good as generic brands.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2019 2:36 AM

I go there for block cheese & organic eggs/dairy, cut flowers (amazing for the price), and a few frozen staples like the Dorot minced garlic cubes. Prices and quality are also good on all those bad for you cookies and candies they stack over the frozen aisle. I find the meat and produce very over priced and only buy things I can't easily find elsewhere like English Peas and true baby carrots (not those bullet shaped machine made "baby carrots" most places sell). The liquor side has some decent prices on wine, and the house brand vodka (Vodka of the Gods) is better than OK, especially considering it's priced comparably to the low end lighter fluid they sell in most liquor stores for similar prices. Most of the bakery is comparable to other stores like Target and Aldi that don't bake locally - it's made hundreds of miles away, frozen and thawed upon delivery to the store and tastes it. I've also quit buying the frozen entrees. The quality seems to decline by the day.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2019 2:43 AM

It seems to be slightly more $ these days. I can't really back that up with specifics but I have felt like the last few times that I've gone there, I've gotten less bang for my buck.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2019 2:57 AM

I went there today for saffron in the little $5.99 bottle. Kroger wanted $12.99 for the exact same size and I wasn’t having it.

They seem to have discontinued the cheddar with Italian truffles, which I really liked. Hasn’t been stocked for weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2019 3:01 AM

I like the frozen langoustines.....for crawfish pie. Delish!

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2019 3:03 AM

Those bastards seem to have discontinued their Sponge Candy.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2019 3:07 AM

I pick up a few boxes of their Indian stuff on each visit. I haven't tried their orange chicken yet.

Just a warning that I bought a packet of their Japanese mochi rice crackers snack, which I promptly threw out as totally disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2019 3:09 AM

The way TJ markets the produce is a total deal breaker for me. Sell that shit by weight, not by the piece. And stop with all the cellophane wrapping of the vegetables. Hideous.

The cheese section is good. The Greek yogurt is, too. Nuts and chopped nuts, check. The little bottle of Sesame Oil is also pretty good quality and a very good price.

Some of the selection is just fine. But I shop there very, very selectively. Still, in every regard it is better than Aldi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2019 3:10 AM

Cowchego....bleh.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2019 3:20 AM

Was pissed that they stopped carrying dried black currants, now I'm pissed again because they stopped carrying the lump crab meat.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2019 3:21 AM

It seems like they carry about a third of the baked goods and bread products from a few years ago. There used to be a selection of different cheese focaccia bread, challah bread, blueberry, cinnamon coffee cakes, more than the one or two they carry now.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote] Japanese mochi rice crackers snack,

Gross. Mochi is supposed to be soft.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2019 3:25 AM

I only go there for their organic bread. Can’t beat $2.99/loaf.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2019 3:30 AM

Their Cinnamon Roll Bread is delish. It sells out fast. Their soups are fantabulis

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2019 3:36 AM

[quote]The way TJ markets the produce is a total deal breaker for me. Sell that shit by weight, not by the piece.

It would be expensive to add that on to the checkout stands, and it would slow down the checkout process. Go elsewhere for your produce if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2019 3:36 AM

You can't work there unless you have at least 5 tattoos, ears gauged and a quirkie/aspie personality.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2019 3:48 AM

It's the one place everyone will likely agree that the employees are nice. Not too many business would you say that about.

I was asking an employee about a new product, and he said that the sample person in the back would open anything in the store to try.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2019 3:55 AM

I always get pumpernickel pretzel sticks, hummus, feta cheese, and frozen vegetables there. I also like the tangerine juice. They used to have lingonberry jam, but I have not seen it in ages. I love smearing it all over crackers and topping it with feta.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2019 4:08 AM

Cookie Butter Ice Cream is good.

Chocolate Croissants (frozen) are always in my freezer.

Key Lime Pie (frozen) in the spring/early summer is very good.

Creamy Polenta with Spinach and Carrots (frozen) - had this the other day, good.

Lacey Milk Chocolate Macademia Cookies - I was disappointed in these, World Market's are way better.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]You can't work there unless you have at least 5 tattoos, ears gauged and a quirkie/aspie personality.

Well, the people who used to staff Tower Records need to work SOMEWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2019 4:15 AM

It's a good place for those who want their food to be "delish." I only go there when I run out of coffee filters.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2019 4:20 AM

Is the cookie butter a cinnamon flavoured product?

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2019 9:39 AM

Their frozen Indian food is good. The chocolate babka too!!! Their little peppermint ice cream comes are great, but seasonal! Their Kringle is seasonal, but tasty!!!

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2019 9:43 AM

For #TBT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2019 9:58 AM

I like the vegetarian kati pouches for lunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2019 10:10 AM

Good store if you don't like to cook.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2019 10:12 AM

This is my new addiction at Trader Joe's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2019 10:23 AM

"Good store if you don't like to cook."

It is and I don't.

And I live within walking distance of one.

What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2019 11:01 AM

They have the best potato chips--very crunchy and with just the right amount of salt.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2019 12:28 PM

Everything is packaged and filled with crap. I won't shop there.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2019 12:35 PM

i like their mini avocados, they used to have blueberry juice but it's been discontinued. i shopped there last night. I've wanted to try their pancake bread but haven't been able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2019 12:46 PM

Have you listened to the TJ podcast? It's well produced, quirky like TJs, and the episodes are only ~20 each.

I get nervous when I don't have at least two bags of their sundried tomatoes in my pantry. I put those fuckers in everything. Their bags of fresh Marzano little tomatoes are a staple for me, too. Over the holidays I tried their Platinum Reserve bubbly Rose and it was [italic]very [/italic] good. They are the place to get sliced raclette cheese in winter. The little tinned cedar balsam candles are a cheap and wonderful when they come around. And if you like their frozen Indian food, try the pouches on the shelf: the yellow daal and Madras lentils are yummy if you doctor them with some fresh tomatoes and spinach or chilis.

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2019 7:11 PM

Their food sucks.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2019 8:04 PM

1) TJ's frozen Mandarin orange chicken puffs or whatever they're called taste EXACTLY like the ones from Panda Express, which can be either a very good thing or a very bad thing, depending on your point of view.

2) I do not say this in any racist way whatsoever, but in my life I think I have only seen 3 or 4 Mexicans or other Latin Americans shopping at TJ's. I live in Southern California, where Latinos make up more than half the population, but they all avoid Trader Joe's. Similarly, I don't think I've ever seen a Latino TJ's clerk.

3) When TJ's first was introduced in SoCal in the…what?…1980s or '90s?…it was noted for a huge selection of trendy and unique alcohol products, such as small bottles of flavored rum, specialty gin, oddball liqueurs, etc., that you couldn't find anywhere else. I think they must have been close-outs or something, and they were really inexpensive. Alas, all those have been gone for years.

4) I used to go out of my way to go to a TJ's that was farther away from my house, because there was a clerk/stocker there with whom I was smitten. He was okay-looking, but he wore this one VERY faded, tight pair of Levi's 501s that fit him like a glove, and he had a spectacular ass inside them. GOD, he had a nice ass! I used to chat him up about mundane shit like when the next shipment of Gingeroos was due in, etc. One day I flat out asked him if he'd like to stop by my house after work. He didn't ask why, but happily agreed. He actually let me remove his Levi's, and I proceeded to show him how to make the best use of his fantastic ass. The best thing I ever found at Trader Joe's—and it didn't cost me a nickel.

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2019 9:51 PM

When I get there which is rare I only buy their canned goods and their flowers. Also love the frozen potato latkes which I serve with smoked salmon and a mustard dill sauce.Their produce rots within a day of buying it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2019 9:59 PM

I buy their Charles Scwab Shiraz by the case...still $1.99 a bottle!!! I serve it to guests while pouring myself the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2019 10:41 PM

Really good: their Bakti Pies. Like some sort of middle eastern potpie. Chicken way better than beef. However, it's the kind of offering that you think you'll never ever get sick of eating but eventually you will.

Really good: honey crisp apple cider.

Really bad: their breakfast burritos are awful.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2019 10:54 PM

They no longer sell kringle coffee cakes.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2019 10:56 PM

For some reason, TJ's house brand of grated cheddar cheese is fantastic. It actually tastes like real cheese (which it is), and not some cardboard-tasting dreck from Kraft or Borden.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2019 11:22 PM

Their cheeses are very good, and the vanilla-fudge swirl with a ribbon of salted caramel ice cream is magic.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2019 11:50 PM

I stopped there yesterday for the first time in about a year, bought maple syrup, olive oil, frozen edamame, and some fresh carrot juice. I really only stopped to get maple syrup,

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2019 11:56 PM

I like everything I've tried except for their breads. However, I'm not able to get around as before so I've had to leave Trader Joe's because they don't do home delivery.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2019 11:56 PM

Used to love the rosemary almonds and movie time popcorn. I think they changed the formula on both. The almonds are bitter and the popcorn is too salty.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2019 12:00 AM

They changed up the fantastic red pepper spread as well, to a product which I can pass on now.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2019 12:08 AM

[quote]It would be expensive to add that on to the checkout stands, and it would slow down the checkout process.

You're funny. Management slows down the checkout process by making every cashier act interested in you. They are always commenting about what I've bought or what I'm wearing or just general chatty shit. They're not interested in the checkout process.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2019 12:09 AM

Trader Joe's needs self-checkout more than any other business.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2019 12:11 AM

Express lanes!!!

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2019 1:41 AM

I've rarely been to a Trader Joes'--even at a busy time like right before Thanksgiving or Christmas -- where there was more than one person in line. They are one of the best stores for opening more checkstands when they're needed.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]The best thing I ever found at Trader Joe's—and it didn't cost me a nickel.

But they're supposed to let you sample anything you want in the store!

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2019 1:51 AM

r43 Those look yummy. Do they have sugar added? How many calories?

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2019 1:51 AM

Rosemary Almonds - how she doing?

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2019 2:45 AM

the carrot turmeric juice is good, has some pepper too

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2019 1:01 PM

So what shit will they discontinue now, the cunts?

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2019 1:04 PM

Start home deliveries, TJ!

by Anonymousreply 70January 29, 2019 11:26 PM

TJ's is just sub-par product put in fun packaging. It may taste "good", but so do McDonald's french fries.

by Anonymousreply 71January 29, 2019 11:27 PM

It ain’t all that.

by Anonymousreply 72January 29, 2019 11:28 PM

R66 They are delicious I just had a few I can't have the bag in front of me, I would inhale the entire bag.

by Anonymousreply 73January 29, 2019 11:40 PM

R73 get a life!

by Anonymousreply 74January 29, 2019 11:44 PM

Good: ABCK Salad (seasonal), Canadian White Bread (when you need white bread) because it lasts forever, and the peanut butter. And easy checkout.

Bad: discontinuing stuff I buy.

by Anonymousreply 75January 29, 2019 11:46 PM

What's your problem R75 did the batteries die in your vibrator?

by Anonymousreply 76January 29, 2019 11:47 PM

Coffee Blast ice cream is excellent. It tastes like the Starbucks coffee ice cream that I used to love and they stopped making. The French Vanilla ice cream is also outstanding. It tastes like cooked vanilla pudding, if vanilla pudding were ice cream.

The precooked, uncured bacon is another favorite of mine because it heats in a few minutes and doesn't leave a ton of grease in the pan. It's also nitrate-free.

I also like their frozen turkey burger patties and the sweet potato fries. As someone else mentioned, TJ's is perfect for people who don't like to spend a lot of time cooking.

by Anonymousreply 77January 29, 2019 11:48 PM

I’d rather go to Aldi

by Anonymousreply 78January 29, 2019 11:49 PM

[quote] Bad: discontinuing stuff I buy.

Indeed, R75 -- sometimes I think I must be a jinx:

Their gingerbread mix used to be better than any of the many recipes I've used, so naturally they've discontinued it & replaced it with something boring. I sent a polite e-mail of complaint & received a polite but clueless reply pointing out that they'll make full refunds for merchandise that's returned for any reason at all.

I also really liked their little 4 pack of different flavored bitters, which eventually disappeared.

I still love their chocolate-covered espresso beans, so watch for those to be discontinued any day now.

by Anonymousreply 79January 30, 2019 1:03 AM

I never mention things I like from Trader Joe's. They get off on "retiring" items.

by Anonymousreply 80January 30, 2019 1:08 AM

To all the people afraid of TJ retiring items... doesn't TJ just basically find items made by smaller companies/distributors and then slap their brand on it?

If you look on the packages it will usually tell you what company distributes the product.

I remember not too long ago enjoying one of their items and then not being able to find it in the stores any more. I still had a package at home, I looked at it, and found out that the place the company that originally made the product (and licensed to TJs) was local to me. I found out that they sold the item directly and in other shops (licensed out just like they did to TJs).

That might be able to help some of you.

by Anonymousreply 81January 30, 2019 2:06 AM

tru dat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2019 6:35 PM

[quote]They no longer sell kringle coffee cakes.

It is usually seasonal. The raspberry kringle around easter is to die for. They stopped carrying the 'some enchanted cracker', which I love. They said it was a quality issue and, last fall, they kept saying they would have them back by the end of November. Still haven't seen them.

I love their dark chocolate peanut butter cups. And I nearly OD'd on chocolate covered mint jo jos at Christmas. I'm glad they are seasonal or I would weigh 300 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2019 6:52 PM

They're coming out with a thin Joe-Joe now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2019 7:03 PM

They discontinued the Spa Salad a while back. That was my go-to lunch to take to work -- low calorie and very tasty (chicken breast, noodles, grapes, mandarins, walnuts, romaine, and Romano cheese with a nice light curry dressing.)

by Anonymousreply 85February 1, 2019 7:06 PM

TJ's Thai Yellow Curry Sauce in a bottle would make an old army boot tasty. I usually add mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 86February 1, 2019 7:28 PM

I just got back from TJs and they have a big ole pecan kringle, R54.

by Anonymousreply 87February 1, 2019 9:06 PM

I don't even know what pecan kringle IS, and now I want one more than anything in the world. But it's too cold out.

by Anonymousreply 88February 1, 2019 9:10 PM

This is a great thread. I've learned about a lot of products that I'll try. My partner and I love the grapefruit juice, chocolate croissants and the flowers. I want everyone to know that I have a partner so I'm not confused with some frauen.

by Anonymousreply 89February 1, 2019 9:27 PM

I haven't had the pecan one yet, R88 but kringles are big round 'danish' pastries that are filled and frosted. At Christmas they are filled with almond paste and at easter they are raspberry. The almond and the raspberry are amazing. I've been told that they also have a chocolate one, but I haven't seen it. They usually fly off of the shelves despite the rather high price.

by Anonymousreply 90February 1, 2019 9:28 PM

Thanks, r90. Do they have that drizzly white glaze stuff like Danish has?

by Anonymousreply 91February 1, 2019 9:33 PM

Wasabi Mayonnaise. The one product I’ve known to have been brought out of retirement due to customer feedback. Very versatile and you don’t need to use much.

by Anonymousreply 92February 1, 2019 9:38 PM

it's at least 12 inches diameter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 1, 2019 9:45 PM

Thanks, r93. Is that the one with almond paste?

by Anonymousreply 94February 1, 2019 9:49 PM

I think the sweet chilie dipping sauce was discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 95February 1, 2019 9:54 PM

vegan split pea soup, delicious! just finished a giant bowl.

by Anonymousreply 96February 2, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]vegan split pea soup, delicious! just finished a giant bowl.

That soup is really good if you chop up a few pieces of bacon or ham and throw it in.

by Anonymousreply 97February 2, 2019 12:09 AM

ha ha ha!

r97

by Anonymousreply 98February 2, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote]I like to go into trader joe’s just to see what the pretentious yuppies are buying.

Oh, you poor thing. How many teeth do you have?

by Anonymousreply 99February 2, 2019 12:12 AM

Hey, R198, that really is the only way you can eat vegan anything.

by Anonymousreply 100February 2, 2019 12:13 AM

so yummy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 2, 2019 2:49 AM

Has anyone tried their sweet and spicy pecans? They’re really good.

by Anonymousreply 102February 2, 2019 4:31 AM

[quote]Has anyone tried their sweet and spicy pecans? They’re really good.

Haven't tried those, but their pecan pralines in the little square plastic containers are quite nice. Not as good as pralines you'd get in the South, of course, but very tasty as a cookie-type item.

by Anonymousreply 103February 2, 2019 5:02 AM

The Hollywood store in Portland, OR now has express checkout lines.

by Anonymousreply 104February 2, 2019 6:47 AM

They didn't have the Japanese Fried Rice last time I went a couple weeks ago (rarely go). Did they get rid of it? Loved it... vegan and so tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 2, 2019 7:02 AM

TJ is owned by one of The Aldi companies from Germany. It pretends to be upscale but it i really middle of the road.

by Anonymousreply 106February 2, 2019 7:25 AM

I have not had any problems with TJ's bread - although I would never buy bread there if I needed something really good. Their cheese selection is amazing and amazingly priced. I would never buy their meat - beef, poultry, fish, etc. The Italian parsley is outrageously over-priced (sold in a very small container at the prices of basil, etc.), but I do like most of TJ's produce. It is not a store that you go to for everything and it never will be.

by Anonymousreply 107February 2, 2019 7:41 AM

R106, have you been to Trader Joe's? There's nothing upscale about it.

by Anonymousreply 108February 2, 2019 8:52 AM

Will be going to TJ later on this morning, for my twice-monthly stock-up.

Fresh berries are always good, particularly like the blackberries.

Prepared guac in the single-serve pouches(wish they did the spicy guac this way) make a great addition to hummus sandwiches(and no leftovers that go brown)

Plain kefir, shredded wheat cereal( the Joe's O's are very good too), butter, S&P potato chips, chick peas, rice milk, Brussels sprouts, red onions, those greenish-brown Mexican tomatoes, beef meatballs and a couple Indian entrees are always on my list.

Have tried several of their tomato-based pasta sauces and liked them all.

You can't beat their prices, or selection, on dried fruits and shelled nuts.

Pet peeve discontinued item: cooked assorted grains, this was a great addition to stir into soups, stews, even oatmeal.

Current addiction? Their prosciutto/mozzarella sticks, which are sold individually but are displayed in a box of 12. But why run out?

An oddity? They display their pumpkin pies on edge, not lying flat as is usually done. I can't imagine why?

Have never bought anything there that I didn't enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 109February 2, 2019 10:06 AM

They never mark any of their prices down, or put anything on sale. Even when their prepared salads and meals are about to expire, they are put up front to sell, then apparently tossed in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 110February 2, 2019 4:51 PM

or donate the soon to be expired foods.

produce can be expensive there

by Anonymousreply 111February 2, 2019 4:54 PM

TJ's produce department is the store's weakest link. I don't like having to buy several bell peppers or other produce items when I only want one. I think the produce is actually better at any local supermarket. Other than that, I love TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 112February 2, 2019 5:33 PM

I agree R112 I've always found the produce at my local market better quality and fresher.

by Anonymousreply 113February 2, 2019 5:43 PM

R108 I said it pretends to be upscale. It is has certain goods that try to be gourmet/upscale but it is low rent when compared to Whole Foods. Which is becoming more low rent under Bezos and Company.

by Anonymousreply 114February 2, 2019 5:48 PM

My Trader Joe's has the city's worst rated parking lot. It's a nightmare. Fortunately, I live within walking distance. Milk, spices, eggs, bananas, some of the veggies, nuts and cereals are much cheaper than a regular grocery store's comparable items. Good wine selection. The Two Buck Chuck is perfectly fine for cooking. Their pork gyoza is really good. It's their top rated frozen food and cheap. $2.99 for two dozen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 2, 2019 6:02 PM

R7 so nice I had to post it twice. Absolute Black 100 percent cocoa dark chocolate is only available at Trader Joe's. It's the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 2, 2019 6:03 PM

Kringle fans, I was told by a checker they have a pumpkin filled Kringle for the fall Halloween season and it's wonderful! Haven't tried it myself, but hope to next year!

by Anonymousreply 117February 2, 2019 6:24 PM

[quote]My Trader Joe's has the city's worst rated parking lot.

I've long maintained that a requirement for any Trader Joe's is that it's built wherever the worst parking lot is in town.

by Anonymousreply 118February 2, 2019 6:29 PM

Trader Joe's moved to a different location in Glendale, California a few years ago. The parking lot was big enough that you could always find a parking space - even at peak times. I remember thinking it was unusual for a Trader Joe's to park easily, and that it probably wouldn't last.

A Coffee Bean opened up sharing the same lot about a year later and BOOM! Packed parking lot all the time. It's easier to park on the street now.

by Anonymousreply 119February 2, 2019 7:19 PM

R119 I know which you're talking about. I actually didn't mind where the old location was.

by Anonymousreply 120February 2, 2019 7:37 PM

I used to love TJ but over the years they stopped carrying everything single thing I bought, so I rarely go there now.

by Anonymousreply 121February 2, 2019 8:54 PM

Not only are our Trader Joe parking lots overcrowded, they were never levelled when they were built. I've got red scratches all over my car from shopping carts that hit my car while I was in the store because there's a downslope everywhere in that damned lot.

by Anonymousreply 122February 2, 2019 8:57 PM

[quote] [R108] I said it pretends to be upscale

Oh yeah, sure. That's why they hire seniors, autistic people, people with Down Syndrome and local college kids to work there. Because they're so "upscale." That's why they sell affordable food. That's why they let you sample the food. They're sooooooo upscale.

by Anonymousreply 123February 2, 2019 9:03 PM

I think my TJ actually hired more staff to cycle shoppers through more quickly to alleviate the overcrowded parking situation. First, they had an attendant or two directing traffic in the lot which helped lessen frustration and potentially dangerous situations, but it wasn't enough. Then I noticed how much wait times at the registers were cut down. Now, it's rare for there to be more than three people waiting and there's always an extra clerk or two to open up cashiers. Since I walk I don't buy too much at once and never have to wait.

by Anonymousreply 124February 2, 2019 9:15 PM

Every time I've gone to Trader Joe's every register is open. Every supermarket, Target and Walmart I've ever been in NEVER have every register open. It's not unusual for the Super Walmart to have only 3 registers open and a huge line at the self checkout area.

by Anonymousreply 125February 2, 2019 9:22 PM

Absolutely, same here, R125. Target is horrible and Walmart is worse. But no grocery store is worse than Safeway. Only two checkers available at peak times with lines extending into into the food aisles. And by no grocery store, I am including the 99 cent store. And Safeway is the most expensive chain in town!

So TJ's staffing pattern wasn't a response to the parking situation, just good customer service. The store is hugely busy from open to close, but you couldn't tell from the register situation.

by Anonymousreply 126February 2, 2019 9:41 PM

R10 is why they hate us

by Anonymousreply 127February 2, 2019 9:48 PM

Like R7 and R116 I am addicted to the Montezuma chocolate bars which are actually not unhealthy as they have very little sugar in them. (FWIW, I googled and it's a British company that makes a number of other interesting flavors I wish TJs carried.)

Not a big prepared foods guys so I avoid those, but I find their produce is actually good--bags of organic spinach, broccoli and cauliflower, good prices on avocados, great prices on various berries in season. Meats can be good too--their shrink wrapped filet mignon is good and is packaged in a way you can do single servings. Always like the tasting counter and the free coffee. Also good prices on raw almonds/cashews and raw almond butter.

The workers are what set them apart though. I always want to ask them what they really do as a number of them I've talked to are artists/musicians/writers/grad students. They are incredibly helpful and friendly (not to mention in several cases, hot.)

As for those of you who are complaining that it's not upscale enough for your prisspot tastes, TJ's vibe has always been Subaru (Volvo for the eldergays) not Mercedes or Lexus.

by Anonymousreply 128February 2, 2019 10:04 PM

This is the UK Montezuma site. TJ's carries the Absolute Black bar and it's cheaper than the website-- $1.99, IIRC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 2, 2019 10:06 PM

[quopte]They never mark any of their prices down, or put anything on sale. Even when their prepared salads and meals are about to expire, they are put up front to sell, then apparently tossed in the trash.

They do on holiday items after Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 130February 2, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote]Will be going to TJ later on this morning, for my twice-monthly stock-up.

Probably not the best idea to go the day before the Super Bowl. It will be a zoo.

by Anonymousreply 131February 2, 2019 10:38 PM

It was, r131. Lots of empty shelves, displays. coolers. This was the South Burlington VT location.

by Anonymousreply 132February 2, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote] They never mark any of their prices down, or put anything on sale. Even when their prepared salads and meals are about to expire, they are put up front to sell, then apparently tossed in the trash.

Couldn't be more wrong. They donate TONS of food daily. Salads. Produce. Sandwiches. Baked goods. Fruit. Breads. I know. They are good people at TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 133February 2, 2019 11:32 PM

Avocados were on sale at my TJs earlier this week. They had a lot of them and they were ripe and it was a most excellent deal.

by Anonymousreply 134February 2, 2019 11:35 PM

Their cinnamon graham crackers and vanilla wafers (the ones in the plastic tubs, not boxes) are to die for. Love them! Also, their cheddar cheese with a hint of parmesan is delicious. And their peanut butter puffs (in the aisle with the potato chips) is the best 99 cents you can spend.

by Anonymousreply 135February 2, 2019 11:36 PM

Tell me about the peanut butter puffs. The peanut butter pretzels are excellent as, unsurprisingly, is the peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 136February 3, 2019 12:04 AM

R133 but not wrong on never marking down the price on about to expire prepared meals

by Anonymousreply 137February 3, 2019 12:08 AM

r136, they're kind of like cheetos except covered in peanut butter powder. If you like peanut butter you will love them and at 99 cents a bag the price cannot be beat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 3, 2019 12:40 AM

My favorite TJ experience occurred at the De la Vina Street store in Santa Barbara. TJ's, as you probably know, has talented chalk artists who draw pictures, do fancy lettering, etc., on chalkboards, usually extolling the virtues of some product in the store.

On the day in question, I was browsing around when I saw that the chalkboard had a tasteful drawing of a kitchen apron that said "KISS THE COOK" in great big letters. I instantly saw the potential, so I surreptitiously went over to the sign, and when no one was looking, I quickly erased part of the second "O" with my thumb, making it read "KISS THE COCK." My partner told me I was no better than a street vandal and said he was going to buy me a can of spray paint for my birthday.

by Anonymousreply 139February 3, 2019 1:04 AM

R138 Thank you but I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 140February 3, 2019 1:16 AM

I do enjoy the little tubs of thin chocolate chip cookies (with coconut) that they sell.

by Anonymousreply 141February 3, 2019 1:43 AM

Snapped at my local Trader Joe last summer.

Someone there has a sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 3, 2019 5:02 AM

R114 I understood what you said. What I was saying is that there is nothing about TJ that's a simulacrum of anything upscale.

by Anonymousreply 143February 3, 2019 7:01 AM

R143 Trader Joe's is a rich man's Aldi...or at least an upper middle class one

by Anonymousreply 144February 3, 2019 7:24 AM

You can save quite a bit of money by making the items you might by at TJ by scratch. They taste better and no preservatives.

by Anonymousreply 145February 3, 2019 6:10 PM

You could save quite a bit of time and effort by buying the items at TJ's - isn't that the idea of stores - we buy our food and clothing rather than make it?

And if you like, you could add your own preservatives...

by Anonymousreply 146February 3, 2019 6:49 PM

didn't get the joke r142

by Anonymousreply 147February 3, 2019 11:49 PM

r131 I get to my local TJ(here in CC Philly) about 15 minutes before they open on Saturdays, to be assured of a parking spot( I wouldn't take the chance to go there at any other time of day). The store didn't seem to be any more crowded than usual. Their night crew did a bang-up job, every shelf, bin, display, freezer, reefer and kiosk was packed out. I'm always in and out within 30 minutes. At that point the store is jammed, the lot is overfilled and I want no part of either. It pays to get up early.

by Anonymousreply 148February 4, 2019 12:28 AM

I've visited TJ's once, and once, only: upon first entering the store, the first thing I noticed was there were no signs above the respective grocery aisles to list each aisle's contents. My immediate reaction: this place is a scam.

Haven't returned since then -

by Anonymousreply 149February 4, 2019 12:42 AM

R149 cool story

by Anonymousreply 150February 4, 2019 12:52 AM

r149, staff will help you find things, annoyingly helpful

by Anonymousreply 151February 4, 2019 12:54 AM

r149. Ta.

by Anonymousreply 152February 4, 2019 12:54 AM

R89 Mary!

by Anonymousreply 153February 4, 2019 12:56 AM

Aldi is DISGUSTING R143

by Anonymousreply 154February 4, 2019 12:58 AM

Some Aldi stores are better than others, it depends on the area. The one that is closest to me is several towns over and in a place that is a bit economically depressed. I drove almost 40 minutes there just to see what the big deal was and it was a huge waste of my time. The produce looked disgusting and old, there were boxes everywhere, and the place was in general practically trashed. I've seen frauen on YT doing Aldi hauls with food that looks amazing but is cheap. The Aldi I visited ain't got it like that.

by Anonymousreply 155February 4, 2019 1:10 AM

We don't have Aldi here, but Grocery Outlet is similar enough to me.

by Anonymousreply 156February 4, 2019 1:37 AM

In the USA Aldi caters to lower middle class to poor people. Trader Joe's caters to more of an upper middle class crowd.

by Anonymousreply 157February 4, 2019 1:39 AM

The workers at my local TJs are really nice. Not fake-friendly, but actually engaged and happy...like how neighborhood markets were when I was a gayling in the 70s. My current TJ faves are frozen jackfruit curry, chile rellenos, and shrimp tempura. I'm generally a from-scratch cook, but Trader Joe's is good when tIme is tight. Their wine/spirits SUCK, however. Charles Shaw (aka 2 Buck Chuck) is plonk and their other stuff is more expensive than good discount retailers. Their meat and produce are sub-par and overpriced, too, but the packaged goods make up for these shortcomings. Great dog treats, as mentioned earlier. Overall, Trader Joe's is not worth rhapsodizing over, but it is a decent option if you have one nearby. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with exceptional grocery options (North suburban Chicago)...which helps offset the fact that it is colder than Mars.

by Anonymousreply 158February 4, 2019 1:57 AM

If nothing else, their chocolate covered espresso beans make it all worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 159February 4, 2019 2:09 AM

Whoever upthread recommended the dried mandarin oranges -- thank you! They really are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 160February 4, 2019 2:15 AM

R160 You're welcome, I bought another bag last night. I can't have the bag next to me, I will eat the entire bag.

by Anonymousreply 161February 4, 2019 2:31 AM

They are dangerous. I inhaled the bag and I didn't really even like dried fruit before this.

by Anonymousreply 162February 4, 2019 2:38 AM

i tried the jackfruit curry and dislike the mushy texture

by Anonymousreply 163February 4, 2019 2:42 AM

r156 Grocery Outlet is NOTHING like Aldi.

by Anonymousreply 164February 4, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]there were no signs above the respective grocery aisles to list each aisle's contents.

Their stores are not that big, and they don't usually move things around too much. You can easily remember where things are after one or two trips.

by Anonymousreply 165February 4, 2019 2:59 AM

I dunno. I like their wine selection much better than a regular supermarket. I don’t bother with the Charles Shaw, but they’ve got more interesting choices for $10 or less than a standard grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 166February 4, 2019 3:10 AM

R166, Grocery Outlet has some good wines in that price range too. They take advantage of periodic deals and some stores' managers are more knowledgeable than others so the selection varies but is always worth at least a glance.

by Anonymousreply 167February 4, 2019 12:31 PM

The store I visit was sold out of the dried oranges, I wanted to try the product too.

by Anonymousreply 168February 11, 2019 8:10 PM

I just tried them-- they're exactly as described. And definitely like crack.

by Anonymousreply 169February 11, 2019 10:04 PM

Claremontsters (hi, 91711)!

by Anonymousreply 170February 11, 2019 10:07 PM

r170 Who/what are you replying to?

by Anonymousreply 171February 11, 2019 10:12 PM

How much $ were the Soft and Juicy Mandarins?

by Anonymousreply 172February 11, 2019 10:19 PM

Around $3 R172

by Anonymousreply 173February 11, 2019 11:06 PM

I tried the dried mandarins too, thanks to the recommendation here. I finished the whole package while driving home (only about a 20 minute trip, it's a small package, and I was overdue for lunch) -- maybe a bit too sweet, but I didn't let that stop me....

by Anonymousreply 174February 11, 2019 11:50 PM

I've tried the dried mandarins and found them too sugary/sweet for me.

I also just tried the orange "chicken" cauliflower meal that someone recommended and I thought it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 175February 12, 2019 12:28 AM

The Subaru analogy is spot on.

There's something about Trader Joe's that attracts the upper middle classes. and seems to intimidate the lower ones.

Maybe it's the fact that so many of the people working there seem like grad students.

Or the lack of options.

But there's something about it that sets it apart from other low-priced grocery stores

by Anonymousreply 176February 12, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote]Start home deliveries, TJ!

Where do you live? TJ does home deliveries in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 177February 12, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote]Maybe it's the fact that so many of the people working there seem like grad students.

Really? Because all the ones by me are mostly staffed with middle aged and senior workers.

by Anonymousreply 178February 12, 2019 12:44 AM

r177

the service is ending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179February 12, 2019 12:50 AM

But the memory lingers on.

by Anonymousreply 180February 12, 2019 12:51 AM

Oh, I didn't know, R179. Thanks for the link.

by Anonymousreply 181February 12, 2019 12:53 AM

postmates can fill this void, perhaps?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 12, 2019 12:53 AM

Their "Block" boxed wines are very good, I really like the Cab and Pinot Grigio, 12.99 for the equivalent 4 bottles of wine...can't beat that. Tip it Kathleen!

by Anonymousreply 183February 12, 2019 12:55 AM

The jackfruit cakes were ... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 184February 12, 2019 4:32 AM

not a fan of tj jackfruit product

by Anonymousreply 185February 13, 2019 12:02 AM

We are talking about the dried mandarins that come in relatively small pieces, rather than the dried oranges they also sell on the same shelf? If so, those are quite addictive, however they are sweet enough that I can't eat more than a couple of handfuls at a time - ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 186February 13, 2019 1:24 AM

Goddamn you TJs for making the condensed portobello mushroom soup and the all purpose salve in a tin a seasonal thing. I've also noticed that many of their salads and prepared foods have canola oil in them. No bueno.

by Anonymousreply 187February 13, 2019 5:58 AM

Never my favorite store. Does anyone know where I can get #2 coffee filters cheaper? They're 100 for $1.99, which is the cheapest I see by far.

by Anonymousreply 188February 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Mushroom ravioli in truffle sauce is inedible. Had one bite and the rest went down the disposal.

by Anonymousreply 189February 13, 2019 9:00 AM

R177, I live in Vegas and would really appreciate home deliveries as well. BF said he would shop for me at TJ but unlike other chains they don't list their products online. So much easier to scan pages of items online readngi the labels, and to use the search function to compare products.

by Anonymousreply 190February 13, 2019 9:50 AM

Pictures of some of TJ offerings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 13, 2019 11:25 AM

Some baking items from TJ's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192February 13, 2019 11:36 AM

I tried TJ mushroom risotto last night; half the container nuked for three minutes came out as mushroom-rice soup! Great soup though.

by Anonymousreply 193February 13, 2019 3:49 PM

The ice cream bon bons are the best. The perfect chocolate coating crunch, the chocolate cookie holding up the semisphere of vanilla ice cream. Just a couple of bites, 12 in a pack. Try to make them last a week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194February 13, 2019 5:35 PM

Any info re Japanese Fried Rice? Do you still have it at your TJ?

by Anonymousreply 195February 13, 2019 5:37 PM

Interesting R178

The one near my parents in the burbs is more mixed age-wise.

But they all seem very different than your typical grocery store employees, including Whole Foods. Intelligent, college-educated, more middle class, like you get the sense that this is their backup gig and they have another passion.

by Anonymousreply 196February 13, 2019 5:52 PM

Trader Joe’s produce ain’t great. But I do love their snack items and a few frozen meals. Also, their fresh flowers last longer than the ones I’ve gotten at Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 197February 13, 2019 6:56 PM

Hardly ever go there anymore. They’ve discontinued all the products I used to buy there except some hors d'oeuvres. Haven’t found anything there worth replacing the 30 or so items I used to buy there.

I’m not big on snacks or any of their chocolate stuff. I don’t buy desserts. The only snack I liked was their yogurt covered raisins...the yogurt was so much better tasting than those horrible Sun Maid yogurt covered raisins. But...since it’s Trader Joe’s ...they discontinued those, too.

One of the checkout people told me to contact corporate, because a lot of times it’s a local thing. When things don’t sell in a particular location, they drop it from that store. So I contacted them and listed all the food I used to buy that they’ve discontinued and they answered back that none of them depended on location. They were just plain discontinued and they were never coming back.

I’ve never come across another food retailer who does this. I mean, we’re talking a 5 or 6 year period of of time where scores of items are discontinued.

So fuck em.

by Anonymousreply 198February 13, 2019 10:41 PM

R194 You are so right. They remind me of the sort-of-standard desert 20 years ago on TWA (yes, kids, they used to serve dinner on the plane! Oops, they have no idea what TWA was or means and no, it's not "Twinks With Attitude") that was the same thing, only a little bigger. They said it was a St. Louis specialty when that was their hub but I've never seen them there or anywhere else since until I found these at TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 199February 13, 2019 10:53 PM

My Trader Joe's still carries the yogurt covered raisins. I wonder if they're different ones?

by Anonymousreply 200February 13, 2019 10:56 PM

I think they keep items as long as the sales volume remains at a certain level. If the sales of a product fall they replaced it with a new item.

by Anonymousreply 201February 13, 2019 11:47 PM

MY local TJs hires a variety of ages/types. When it first opened it was just young people (college/grad students) but over the years they've changed to a pretty diverse group of employees. Plus it pays pretty well, I know that store managers make in the low $100,000. An ex-boyfriend once went to an open cattle call for a new TJ's opening in WeHo and he got hired on the spot due to being ex-military, which is great for veterans that the give them a hiring advantage.

BTW, this is the TJ in Silverlake that had the shooting last year. It was heartbreaking, we all knew that manager Mely and to make matters worse, it was later reported that the bullet that killed her was determined to be from an LAPD gun.

After the shooting, the store was closed for about a week. When it reopened customers were openly weeping as the hugged the TJs staff and offered their condolences. It really shock our little community here. This Trader Joe's now has a permanent honorary display of artwork for Mely sent over from other TJ's stores throughout the country. It gives me pause every time I see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202February 14, 2019 12:05 AM

Thanks for that anecdote, r202.

by Anonymousreply 203February 14, 2019 12:18 AM

Trader Joe's stores are all quite small. They wouldn't have any room for new items if they didn't discontinue some of the old ones that are no longer selling well.

by Anonymousreply 204February 14, 2019 1:57 AM

they got rid of my favorite bar soap!

by Anonymousreply 205February 14, 2019 2:20 AM

Which was what, R205?

by Anonymousreply 206February 14, 2019 2:31 AM

They're supposed to have the best sunscreen.

by Anonymousreply 207February 14, 2019 2:36 AM

tea tree oil bar soap, its non drying and a steal, two for two bucks.

lasted forever in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 208February 14, 2019 2:37 AM

I really like Trader Joe’s but I’m annoyed that this thread was obviously started by a TJ social media intern.

by Anonymousreply 209February 14, 2019 2:37 AM

Sad story at r202....terrible for her family and the Trader Joe employees and customers who knew her.

by Anonymousreply 210February 14, 2019 2:41 AM

i hope the intern reports back that the discontinuation of our favorite products is a drag!

by Anonymousreply 211February 14, 2019 2:41 AM

I used to buy their cheese platters.

by Anonymousreply 212March 22, 2019 1:00 PM

rumor has it theyr all owned by ubrer right wing family in Austria, how ironic

by Anonymousreply 213March 22, 2019 1:39 PM

[quote]rumor has it theyr all owned by ubrer right wing family in Austria, how ironic

Moron.

by Anonymousreply 214March 23, 2019 1:39 AM

Has anyone tried the freeze-dried red grapes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 23, 2019 1:41 AM

Is there any Trader Joe's branded shampoo that cleans hair properly? None of us is pleased with Tea Tree Tingle.

by Anonymousreply 216March 23, 2019 1:45 AM

These should be part of your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 24, 2019 1:59 AM

blueberry lavender almond milk, sounds vile but im enjoying it

by Anonymousreply 218March 24, 2019 3:08 AM

Their low-acid French Roast is great for coffee lovers who suffer from GERD or reflux.

by Anonymousreply 219March 24, 2019 3:25 AM

I love their peony scented candles. So cheap and good quality.

And the Cherry Cider was discontinued. Devastated.

by Anonymousreply 220May 15, 2019 12:18 AM

I love the ready pizza dough. I can role it out and create an exotic pizza.

by Anonymousreply 221May 15, 2019 12:22 AM

R219 thank you

by Anonymousreply 222May 15, 2019 12:22 AM

I liked Trader Joe’s before it became a spawned, crotch fruit running wild store.

by Anonymousreply 223May 15, 2019 12:25 AM

R220 what kind of wax are those candles?

by Anonymousreply 224May 15, 2019 12:26 AM

The Tea Tree Tingle body wash was awful.

by Anonymousreply 225May 15, 2019 12:28 AM

r224 soy

by Anonymousreply 226May 15, 2019 12:37 AM

R217

I can't stand cucumber pickles, but am willing to give those jalapenos a try. Perhaps chop them up in egg salad?

by Anonymousreply 227May 15, 2019 12:46 AM

I fucking hate those mini shopping carts for kids, always hogging the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 228May 15, 2019 12:54 AM

R223 Gays are having kids now too you caftan wearing, Rip Taylor acting old timer......

by Anonymousreply 229May 15, 2019 1:27 AM

i tried the dried mandarins, the fruit tastes like starburst candy

by Anonymousreply 230May 15, 2019 1:43 AM

I have come to prefer Fresh Thyme . The produce is more varied and much cheaper. They have a real meat department (not just the hermetically sealed meat from Australia and New Zealand TJ offers), a much better selection of bread and baked goods, and an actual deli counter with good quality cold cuts and cheeses. Plus the huge selection of in house squeezed juices. Trader Joe's only beats them on affordable frozen entrees, snacky stuff, cut flowers and liquor.

by Anonymousreply 231May 15, 2019 4:41 AM

My TJs stopped selling the frozen grass-fed beef (steaks, burgers). I liked that stuff. I'm not paying Whore Foods $20/lb for the same stuff.

by Anonymousreply 232May 15, 2019 7:32 PM

FWIW, Australian and NZ beef is grassfed. Sometimes it's grain finished, but it's always at least partially if not 100% grass fed.

by Anonymousreply 233May 15, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote] I'm not paying Whore Foods

Loving that typo (assuming it WAS a typo!)

by Anonymousreply 234May 15, 2019 10:01 PM

[quote] I can role it out

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 235May 15, 2019 10:02 PM

R230, what makes the dried mandarins special isn't their taste, it's the combination of that with their texture.

Last week, the space on the shelf for dried mandarins was empty. An employee passing by heard me sigh and offered to check in the back, where he found some newly-delivered cartons and brought one out. I thanked him and he said that these have been selling out pretty fast lately. The power of DL?

by Anonymousreply 236May 15, 2019 10:56 PM

the mandarins are tasty, great alternative to candy, r236.

& usually sold out at my store too

by Anonymousreply 237May 15, 2019 11:56 PM

I've been looking for these for a week or so. The vanilla are new (cocoa batons already exist).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 16, 2019 10:52 PM

They used to sell some pre-prepared chicken dishes (not frozen) - one that was called Southwestern Chicken. It was fantastic - you just needed to stick it in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. And they stopped selling it. It was so damn good too.

by Anonymousreply 239May 16, 2019 10:54 PM

I would like to try these, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Another new product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241May 16, 2019 11:01 PM

Some of their summer faves are back in stores. These are amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 16, 2019 11:04 PM

R241, I just drank a can of that watermelon juice 10 minutes ago! It tasted oddly cucumber-like. Not bad; just not what I expected.

by Anonymousreply 243May 16, 2019 11:13 PM

I don't go there anymore. They stopped carrying every single thing I bought there.

Once you take everything away from a customer, you lose the customer.

by Anonymousreply 244May 16, 2019 11:21 PM

Thank you DL. I love the dried mandarin. I bought 3 bags.

by Anonymousreply 245May 17, 2019 8:58 AM

Is it really anyone's favorite store? Last time I was there and needed garlic, I would have had to buy four heads. How the fuck am I supposed to use four heads of garlic?

by Anonymousreply 246May 17, 2019 9:21 AM

You could have made some damn good mashed potatoes with that garlic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2019 9:34 PM

Garlic keeps a long time on the counter, at least a month or 2.

by Anonymousreply 248May 17, 2019 9:40 PM

Invite some Italian and/or Korean friends for dinner, R246. And broaden your own horizons -- I put garlic in everything except desserts and my breakfast smoothie.

by Anonymousreply 249May 17, 2019 9:55 PM

Months, r248? No. It gets that green thing after about a week. And it's not like buying four heads of garlic is the only way I can get it. I only go to TJ's when I need coffee filters and tea.

by Anonymousreply 250May 17, 2019 11:11 PM

You don't know much about Italian cooking, r249, if you think I'd use that much garlic in it in a year.

by Anonymousreply 251May 17, 2019 11:12 PM

Add garlic "to taste", R251, which means quite a lot in my case. And Korean cuisine uses even more garlic than Italian -- such as the recipe at the link for pickled garlic, which calls for a pound of garlic (approx 8-9 heads).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252May 17, 2019 11:23 PM

Making out my shopping list for tomorrow's purchases. Can I pick up anything for you guys?

by Anonymousreply 253May 17, 2019 11:32 PM

Where is your local TJ's, Bronzie?

by Anonymousreply 254May 18, 2019 7:15 AM

They discontinued these. Unforgivable.

Where can I find something similar for cheap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255May 18, 2019 7:22 AM

Discontinued as well. :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 18, 2019 7:23 AM

r255 is perfectly emblematic of the other thing that's wrong with TJ's: you like something, so they discontinue it. I got tired of the not knowing. Coffee filters and teabags. That's it for me now at TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 257May 18, 2019 7:26 AM

They most definitely changed the ingredients in their Cocoa Truffles a few months ago. I thought it was just a bad batch, but the new version has a distinct coarseness to the cocoa and the taste is different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 18, 2019 7:26 AM

Wafer Cookies are new this year, I believe. The main taste is... sweet. No chocolate, nothing. Avoid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259May 18, 2019 7:29 AM

The "European style whole grain" bread is like crack to me, I had to stop buying it. Dense and chewy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 18, 2019 7:34 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 261May 26, 2019 6:29 AM

Gotta get me some of them dried mandarin oranges.

You know, before TJ's discontinues them.

And they will.

by Anonymousreply 262May 26, 2019 7:11 AM

I'm enjoying the dried California persimmons. Chewy.

by Anonymousreply 263May 26, 2019 10:22 AM

I've become hooked on these for a quick lunch, very tasty and not too spicy. Great with a bit of tamarind sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 26, 2019 10:33 AM

r254 In CC Philadelphia, 22nd and Markets Sts. The place is a zoo, so I always get there a bit before it opens. The deceptively large parking lot fills up quickly, and they have to have someone outside directing traffic.

The store itself is small, and they recently lost even more floor space in a redesign that gave too much open area at checkout. It's a shame there's nowhere for them to expand their retail space, it'd be nice to have some things I see are for sale in other areas of the country.

There's the occasional rumor of a TJ opening up in South Philly, but so far nothing.

by Anonymousreply 265May 26, 2019 12:26 PM

That's the same one I went to when I used to visit friends who lived in West Philly, Bronzie. It seemed like a lot of schlepping, as I didn't drive while I was there. Here in Pittsburgh, our formerly small TJ's broke down a wall and doubled in size, most of the space going to merchandise. Much better shopping now. I hope yours improves.

by Anonymousreply 266May 26, 2019 12:29 PM

They are building an Aldi across from my Harris Teeter. Is it basically the same as TJ’s?

by Anonymousreply 267May 26, 2019 12:37 PM

No, r267, it is not. I will give you one distinction: You know how nice the TJ's people are? That's how officious and snotty the Aldi people are. I went to Aldi twice. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 268May 26, 2019 12:39 PM

Because they share the same origins, there seems to be a myth here that Aldi and Trader Joe's are essentially the same thing. The experience at each is quite different.

by Anonymousreply 269May 26, 2019 2:37 PM

“2) I do not say this in any racist way whatsoever, but in my life I think I have only seen 3 or 4 Mexicans or other Latin Americans shopping at TJ's”

The Latin American stores in the US have the best fruits and veggies, TJ’s can’t compete,

by Anonymousreply 270May 26, 2019 2:48 PM

These corn chips are excellent. I got the last bag at my store and it was only 11am. If you see them, grab them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 26, 2019 2:55 PM

I hook up with one of the cashiers on a regular basis

by Anonymousreply 272May 26, 2019 2:56 PM

I hear stories that TJs is the place to hook up and get fine dick. How does one go about doing that?

by Anonymousreply 273May 26, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote]Because they share the same origins, there seems to be a myth here that Aldi and Trader Joe's are essentially the same thing. The experience at each is quite different.

While they are tenuously connected now, they certainly don't share the same origins. Aldi started in Germany; Trader Joe's in southern California.

by Anonymousreply 274May 26, 2019 4:23 PM

Has anyone tried these baby bananas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 26, 2019 4:24 PM

The one Trader Joe's item that I buy religiously and always have in my refrigerator is the grated Pecorino Romano cheese. I've never been able to find anything like it in other stores-- usually it's either shredded or way more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 276May 26, 2019 4:26 PM

Too funny R276- There are two things I buy there- the Pecorino Romano and their delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies that come in the plastic tub.

TJ is particularly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 277May 26, 2019 4:28 PM

DL HOMOS run down to Trader Joe's and buy Grilled Chicken Jerk Thigh Skewers with Mango Chutney. YUMMY.

by Anonymousreply 278May 26, 2019 4:29 PM

How much, r276?

by Anonymousreply 279May 26, 2019 4:29 PM

Are they very spicy, R278?

I love the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. They used to make little bags for a dollar but I haven't seen them lately. I don't dare buy a whole tub of them because I will eat them in one sitting.

On a whim, I bought the Milk Chocolate Caramel Crunch Medallions. Wish I didn't know they existed. They are sooo yummy.

They finally ran out of the raspberry kringle. And I just ate my last piece, which I froze because I can't eat it all before it spoils.

by Anonymousreply 280May 26, 2019 4:42 PM

The Chicken skewers are a bit spicy but not objectionably so. You can buy them and don't add the sauce. The chicken is so juicy and tender.

What is raspberry kringle?

by Anonymousreply 281May 26, 2019 6:15 PM

Tunisian Harissa -- REALLY good.

by Anonymousreply 282May 26, 2019 7:02 PM

[quote]While they are tenuously connected now, they certainly don't share the same origins. Aldi started in Germany; Trader Joe's in southern California.

And there are 2 Aldi companies. Aldi Nord bought Trader Joe's, Aldi Sud owns the US Aldi stores. The two Aldis split 60 years ago when the 2 Albrecht brothers (sons of the owners of the original Aldi) could not agree over whether to sell cigarettes. While Trader Joe's and the USA Aldi have similar private label oriented business models - they are not owned by the same company.

by Anonymousreply 283May 26, 2019 10:18 PM

r283 Right -- that's why I said they are "tenuously connected."

by Anonymousreply 284May 27, 2019 2:46 AM

r279 The grated Pecorino Romano (in a plastic tub) is $9.99/lb. Most containers are around $6. They also have a Parmesan (not Parmigiano Reggiano)-Pecorino blend that's good and somewhat less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 285May 27, 2019 2:47 AM

the checkout line was short and the shelves were full tonite, (tomorrow is memorial day)

by Anonymousreply 286May 27, 2019 3:11 AM

The Aldi's closest to me is a total dump, I never see anyone working the floor, and the cashiers are always hillbillies. The Trader Joe's, on the other hand, is always spotless, employees hustling, everyone friendly and well-groomed. Aldi's could learn a thing or two from Trader Joe's.

by Anonymousreply 287May 27, 2019 5:25 AM

Chocolate-covered cacao nibs, organic, from Nut.com.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 27, 2019 5:35 AM

Nuts.com

by Anonymousreply 289May 27, 2019 5:36 AM

R223 I agree it used to be a spawn free zone. The last time I was there I couldn’t take all the kids running wild in there. I haven’t been back.

by Anonymousreply 290May 28, 2019 7:39 PM

I want the pizza dough recipe.

by Anonymousreply 291May 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Pick up the best dick at Trader Joes!

by Anonymousreply 292May 28, 2019 7:58 PM

I've seen some good looking cashiers at Trader Joe's over the years.

by Anonymousreply 293May 28, 2019 9:31 PM

This isn't new -- it was available last year. Has anyone tried it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 29, 2019 12:33 AM

The scallion pancakes!

by Anonymousreply 295May 29, 2019 12:35 AM

I got some great soap bars, and I am usually a liquid gel kind of person.

by Anonymousreply 296July 15, 2019 5:06 AM

TJ's Nourish shampoos/conditioners are fantastic for$2.99. Even my longtime snooty hairstylist said so.

by Anonymousreply 297July 15, 2019 6:26 AM

San Francisco I live near several Trader Joe’s I prefer the Trader Joe’s on 4th St., at Market it’s subterranean. Good vibe.

The Nob Hill Trader Joe’s California at Hyde gets a little crazy during rush hour some of the stockers are seriously passive aggressive.

The SOMA Trader Joe’s 9th at Bryant it’s pretty good. Sometimes they allow beggars or hustling kids selling candy bars near the shopping carts that sort of bugs me because I would like a beggar-free zone for five minutes.

The Trader Joe’s Geary at Masonic is BroLand. Seriously emaciated females and testy tech bros.

4th street for the win. Except they don’t sample coffee because our protected class the homeless/street bums exploited that service.

by Anonymousreply 298July 15, 2019 6:36 AM

[quote] 4th street for the win. Except they don’t sample coffee because our protected class the homeless/street bums exploited that service.

The biggest free coffee/sample whores at the Studio City TJ's are the rich white people. We chase out the homeless. But God forbid that the coffee machine ever breaks down, or we decide to sample a holiday tea (like the Candy Cane tea) instead of coffee. Everybody has a fucking meltdown because they can't get their 4 oz free coffee.

by Anonymousreply 299July 15, 2019 1:30 PM

I’d like to visit that Trader Joe’s then. Are those little cups 4 ounces? They seem so tiny I thought they were one or 2 ounces

by Anonymousreply 300July 15, 2019 10:06 PM

[quote] I got some great soap bars, and I am usually a liquid gel kind of person.

R296, when did you discover this about yourself?

by Anonymousreply 301July 25, 2019 12:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!