Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I always wondered why Spielberg didn't put Amy Irving in Raiders of the Lost Ark

She and Karen Allen are the same type.

Looking at the dates of their relationship it looks like they would have been together when it was being made although the broke up brifely in 1980 when she supposedly had an affair with Willie Nelson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2019 9:47 PM

I don't know, but you sure could have picked a better photo, OP. She was so damn gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2019 9:35 PM

I don't think she had the right hair for the role.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2019 9:36 PM

Anti-semitism!!

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2019 9:37 PM

Avigdor, wait! It’s a trap!!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2019 9:41 PM

I think Karen Allen is a horrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2019 9:41 PM

I don't like Karen Allen as an actress and didn't think much of her in that movie, but Amy Irving was just too refined for that role. Allen looked the part, if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2019 9:43 PM

Casting Amy Irving in an adventure movie would be like putting Kevin Hart in a Merchant Ivory film.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2019 10:15 PM

The only requirement for actresses in Indiana Jones movies was the ability to scream for 120 minutes straight. Why would he need Amy Irving for that?

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2019 10:22 PM

R7, she was in a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2019 10:24 PM

Karen Allen had a bit of a gym teacher vibe. Amy was like frills and tutu’s.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2019 10:26 PM

Yes, that's basically what happened, OP. Irving had an affair with Willie Nelson while shooting "Honeysuckle Rose," which resulted in she and Spielberg splitting, and losing the part of Marion in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the process.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2019 10:30 PM

She also had an annoying voice.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2019 10:59 PM

How the hell did the unambiguously odd looking Speilberg land the unambiguously beautiful and hot ( not usually a combination) Amy Irving? I mean, he doesn't even look like he knows his left from his right , much less anything about the parameters of a mattress, if you know what I mean.

LA , at least "Industry" LA, pound for pound has the most strong stomached and thirsty people in creation.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2019 11:30 PM

I don't think she was a great beauty. Attractive, yes. And wrong for the role of Marion.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2019 11:48 PM

r13 in that landmark book on 70s films that people always cite............someone fill in the name and author...............they make it sound like Irving married him for roles and was actually very dismissive and mean to him. All his friends and colleagues thought she was a bit of an Eve Harrington. (and what a dope she was, she spent five years with him and then ruins her chance at a meaty role to sleep with WILLIE NELSON?!?) I mean to quote Joan Rivers he was dirty: "The combed Willie Nelson's beard and they found the Lindbergh baby.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2019 4:09 AM

agree r13, it’s true.

I heard a rumor ages ago that Amy Irving was banging everyone while she was married to Spielberg and after they split up he was humiliated that he was the last to know.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2019 4:23 AM

Then she divorced him and got 250 MILLION

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2019 4:28 AM

the money didn't seem to matter r17. She always comes across as very bitter in interviews. Bitter Spielberg never cast her in anything, bitter that other people got scared to hire her for fear they would offend Spielberg, bitter that she got cast as Sue while Sissy Spacek got Carrie, bitter that Carrie Fisher got cast as Princess Leia and not her, bitter she didn't get to repeat her stage role in the film version of Amadeus especially after the first choice (Meg Tilly) got injured and they needed a last minute replacement, bitter that DePalma told Betty Buckley to really insult her in the detention scene in Carrie so that she'd look vulnerable and tearful as opposed to letting her just act it, bitter................

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2019 4:33 AM

I think she got $100 million. Not bad for five years or marriage and one kid.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2019 4:36 AM

She was all wrong for the role of Marion, who was beautiful but fearless, adventurous, and a bit coarse.

Irving was a quiet and passive screen presence, she was okay in the right role but Marion HAD to be played by someone livelier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2019 5:33 AM

Irving should have been cast in Downton Abbey

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2019 5:42 AM

funny, i've always wondered and sometimes still do why i could never be in a long term loving relationship with or without a family so i didn't end up all alone like i have,

never once have i wonder about Amy Irving Steve Spielberg Karen Allen or that movie. even now, i could give a rat's ass.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2019 8:36 AM

At her peak, Amy Irving was moderately pretty, a passable actress, and a rather lifeless presence on screen. She would have been lucky to get any B-list leading lady roles, if she hadn't snagged Spielberg.

I can't believe she thinks she had a shot at the iconic roles like "Carrie" and Princess Leia! Those roles required some genuine acting ability and the spark she lacked, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2019 8:41 AM

Allen was brilliant in the first Indy movie, especially if you compare her with Kate Capshaw and that unfortunately named Irish chick from the third film. I know the chances are small but it would be great to see in her in the next installment as well - bringing her back was one of the few redeeming qualities of that horrible fourth part.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2019 9:01 AM

R24, I had to look it up and laughed my ass off: Alison Doody.

Amy Irving was quite a beauty but she always looked... predatory... to me. I don’t care for her. And she looks terrible with blonde hair.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2019 9:31 AM

WHat in the hell is r22 blathering about?

R17, I heard Amy’s settlement was 90 million. Nothing to sneeze at.

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2019 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!