Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Intermittent fasting

I have a friend who has lost a good deal of weight doing this but he's over 40 and I have to wonder if this is healthy. He recommended I try it to lose my Christmas weight but I'm not sure it's good for you in the long run. Couldn't it damage your metabolism? He doesn't eat for 24 hours sometimes. Does anybody here have personal experience with it?

by Anonymousreply 3003/13/2019

OP is worse than...

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2018

Here's a good video on it OP. I learned a lot from this.

I avoid eating for 16 hours straight 2 or 3 days a week. I actually find myself a little mentally sharper those days.

No risk of damage to your metabolism, regular eating all day isn't actually what humans evolved to do. And our lack of adjustment to it is one reason diabetes is so common. Our body wasn't meant to produce as much insulin as frequently as it does and we still aren't really used to it

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2018

Like "keto" and "paleo" and "HIIT" it's one of those words that's misused and overused constantly.

I've heard people call not eating between 7pm and breakfast (9AM) "intermittent fasting"

Dave Asprey from Bulletproof helped to popularize it and there's plenty online about the benefits. As per OP some people do it for 24 hours straight--just water, coffee and tea. Others will drink Bulletproof coffee as part of the intermittent fast.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2018

I'm in my late 50s and have lost weight doing IF and generally feel all around better. I do 16/8, eat during an 8 hour window. I started out 12/12 and worked my way up to 16/8.

Additional benefits for me have been no more snoring , no more heartburn at night, I wake up refreshed and with a flatter stomach than what I went to bed with. I do stop eating at 4:00 p.m. which works for me as I'm retired. The initial weight I lost has stayed off and I'm more lax now with calories than at the beginning but I do stick to the time frame. It's been 1.5 years.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2018

Screw that nonsense and try aerobics, OP. With a little hard work, your body can look as good as mine.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2018

What about intermittent farting?

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2018

I'm doing the 16/8 eating only between 1pm -9pm working out fine now that I'm used to black coffee

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2018

Yes, the black coffee is key.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2018

I fast every day from somewhere between 8-9 pm and 5-5:30 pm the following day.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2018

I've been eating two meals a day, one at 11:30AM and one at 6:30PM for three months - no snacks and only a couple of cups of coffee (with Stevia and a splash of milk or cream in the morning.)

This has helped with my diabetes, tremendously, my fasting blood sugar is now around 100mg/dl as opposed to 150+mg/dl I previous had which I attributed to dawn phenomenon.

I also trying to eat less than 60 grams of carbohydrates at each meal and eat a lot more vegetables and fruits that I used to and very little bread and no pastries or desserts.

I've been losing around 1.5lbs a week. The only side effect I've had is that I'm horny AF much more often than I'd been for a few years.

I'm hoping to be able to maintain this lifestyle indefinitely. Has anyone been able to do two meals a day as a regular lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 1001/11/2019

One meal a day for me, R10. Started 1-2 weeks 12 years ago; full-time the last 5.

by Anonymousreply 1101/11/2019

Did you lose weight/how much, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1201/11/2019

About 50 lbs, R12, a loss I've been able to maintain. I have a friend who's followed my lead & has also been successful.

by Anonymousreply 1301/11/2019

R11:

Could you walk us through some of your meals?

by Anonymousreply 1401/11/2019

Nothing special, R14. My meal is usually a dinner that's rather simple & small, followed by dessert (a must) & fruit. On those rare occasions I go out for lunch, I skip dinner, although I'll have dessert & fruit.

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2019

Thank you R13, R15, very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 1601/12/2019

Actual fasting for 24 hours or more slowed my metabolism some years back. Even when I would eat extremely low calories for days and weeks at a time messed me up as well. But the intermittent fasting works as long as I don't go an entire day without food. I do this between 2 to 5 days a week and depending on my hours, instead of breakfast and lunch, I just eat a brunch (the majority of the food during that time) and a light early dinner then drink a lot of water but don't eat anything else until the next late morning or noon. I feel more energetic and focused and of course lost and maintain ideal weight this way. I also don't feel too exhausted for workouts whereas full fasting left me too tired. I don't know about the really long-term effects, but I've been doing the intermittent for 8 months with no harm. My doctors are varied on their opinions, one's fine with it, the other says it might be okay as long as I don't truly starve myself: he was hinting caution at going into anorexic territory which isn't the case for me. That doctor suggests one shouldn't go more than maximum 4 - 6 waking hours without at least a small snack, but most days I don't snack. One meal per day didn't work for me at all and added no wellness benefits. So it's 2 meals a day for me, but the 2nd is an early and light one.

by Anonymousreply 1701/12/2019

Combine Keto with intermittent fasting. For the fasting, you need to not eat for 18-20 hours. Stop at 8 at night then don't eat until 6 p,m. the following night. Do that three days a week and eat keto the rest.

by Anonymousreply 1801/12/2019

There's two forms of intermittent fasting - there's the 8 or 12 or 16 hour fast every day (say, no eating from 8 pm to 8 am), and there's the fast where you eat normally 5 days a week and fast more or less completely 2 days a week. They both seem to work pretty well.

I'm not sure why black coffee would be key, though.

by Anonymousreply 1901/12/2019

I eat 500 calories on my fast days. It's not really fasting. It works best if you don't eat go wild on your non fasting days. I don't think it's magical. I just consume fewer calories over a week if I "fast" 3 to 4 days a week. It works for my lifestyle. I have a lot of events to attend. I just make those days my non fasting ones. I find the fasting helps me distinguish between genuine hunger and boredom or emotional eating. I do cranky in the late afternoon on fast days. I just remind myself it's just hunger and calm down. That feeling passes. I'm not hungry constantly, but there are times I'm preoccupied with thoughts of food. It's easier to stick with because I know I won't go hungry tomorrow.

R19 caffeine lowers your appetite and gives you energy. If it's black it has no calories. I have acid reflux so I can't do coffee on an empty stomach. I do drink a lot of black, white and green tea.

by Anonymousreply 2001/12/2019

I have seen results and feel better doing 15/9 (eating breakfast no earlier than 9 AM and finishing dinner no later than 6 PM). I am usually up until 10 PM and wake up around 7 AM.

by Anonymousreply 2101/12/2019

Currently doing the 16:8. Nothing before 9am, nothing after 5pm. I get off work at 4, so I don't have much time for a big dinner. Tonight I had toast and hummus. I was going to do just one meal a day, but my nutritionist told me that it would be too severe for someone just starting, so she put me on 16:8.

by Anonymousreply 2203/13/2019

Fasting is a stupid idea, just as a 40 year old running 10 miles a day is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2303/13/2019

I fast for 15 hrs each day - don't eat between 8PM and 11AM. I found I lost a few pounds at the start, then my body adjusted to it.

by Anonymousreply 2403/13/2019

Extreme Fasting has proven to extend life by many years. Google it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2503/13/2019

I had the same experience, R24. Maybe we don't much weight to lose.

by Anonymousreply 2603/13/2019

Intermittent farting!

by Anonymousreply 2703/13/2019

How do you go that long without eating? I'd kill myself

by Anonymousreply 2803/13/2019

Eating is overrated

by Anonymousreply 2903/13/2019

I lost 45 pounds on IF. Only ate between 11 and 5, no booze.

I've kept it off 6 years. If I eat at 9 pm, no big deal, I just back to 11-5:00 when I can.

by Anonymousreply 3003/13/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!