Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dirty John - what the hell is wrong with Debra?

So a friend of mine is hooked on the Bravo dramatization of this story, which was a viral (real life story) podcast. I was intrigued enough to look this up, and found the following:

59 year old, rich interior designer (Debra), four times divorced! - meets Irish-American "doctor" (John) on match.com. They go out, he's wearing cargo shorts while she's in Gucci, but to her he's sexy, so they go back to her place. He comes on strong, she turns him down, writes him off, but he love bombs her in texts.

A few weeks later they move in together to the tune of a 6k a month Newport waterfront condo (her money) and he proceeds to behave as shadily as every no-account psycho in every Lifetime movie ever made.

Surprise! He's unemployed, newly out of prison, not a doctor, not even the roaming freelance anesthesiologist he later claimed to be, nor a nurse! He's got a trail of restraining orders and pissed off women behind him! He's hooked on Class III narcotics!

He tells her these are for legitimate ailments.

They get married!

Debra has adult daughters. She also has a history. Back in her youth, her brother-in-law murdered her sister in cold blood. Her mom took the brother-in-law's part, testifying on his behalf for hours and hours. Upshot, he barely served time and is now free. Mom "works" as a professional "forgiveness" lecturer. BTW, the dead daughter wanted out of the marriage due to her husband's controlling, paranoid, and abusive ways, but mom hand-waved all that. Everybody goes to a megachurch called Mariners, where one presumes "Men are the bomb, women - everything is your fault and responsibility" is a big theme.

Back to the present. Hubby makes jokes about killing her grown daughters, who don't like him. Debra doesn't take it seriously. It feels so good to be with him! It feels SOOO good to finally be with the ONE! He brings her orange juice in the morning, and massages her shoulders!

Her kids hire a private PI who uncover all kinds of mess.

Debra is confused, in a quandary. Does this mean she has to give up her feels? It FEEEEEEls so good to be with him! He's ALL about her, all the time! How can that be WRONG?

After vacillating, and after data theft, camera surveillance (from him to her), and more, Debra talks to a lawyer (AGAIN) and leaves John. Still, she earnestly converses with him, just to see - maybe it's all a mistake! Maybe there's an explanation!

Ah, fuck it. She goes back to him. (To be continued)

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2020 9:00 AM

Cont'd:

But then she leaves him again. He waxes threatening. It's stalker-city now, wigs, changed phone numbers, switch up your route, consult with your lawyers, police, and menace-experts.

John corners her daughter (Terra) in a parking lot and out comes a knife. Her daughter, a devotee of "Walking Dead" makes a HUGE fuss. She also works in a dog shelter, so has strong, developed shoulders. Ultimately, she is on her back in the parking lot, cycling her legs to ward off his stabward intentions. The knife is kicked away (he's a drug addict, so probably not in condition) and it lands next to her! Everyone in the parking lot is ignoring this, going about their business save a 14 year old off-duty female lifeguard who calls 911 and rushes in to help. Terra grabs the knife, and stabs, stabs, stabs, stabs, and stabs. Stabs some more. One goes through his eye and into his brain, so that is that.

Terra, btw, has her arm flayed open from his original attack, and muscle is hanging out, so she requires medical attention.

Four days later, Debra can't bring herself to pull the plug on John, so asks a nurse to make the call. The nurse is like, fuck, pull the plug twice! And again to make sure! (No, the nurse checks the brain scans - she's a professional.)

Terra is grateful to her dog, Cash, who diligently bit her assailant's ankles until Tara managed to chop him into hamburger. She also apologizes to her mom for killing her husband. Her mom is like "It's aight. Stuff happens."

Moral of the story per the original journalist, sociopath profilers, and general coverage of this case.

Narcs and psychos - they can victimize anyone!

I don't think that's the moral of the story. I think it's - Big Religion Hates Women. And it's "It's easier to "forgive" your child's killer whom you harbored in your home after she kicked him out than to confront and deal with your fucking shit." AND, "FEELS is no excuse to push aside reality and nearly get your twenty something daughter murdered."

Seriously. I don't think this could have happened to me. I think the cargo shorts, love bomb texting and dirty fingernails would have warded me off.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2018 2:24 AM

She was 59 and divorced 4 times?

I'd say John was quite a catch.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2018 2:31 AM

i quit watchin. no one would be as dumb as connie britton to keep a man like him in her cunt. 'not believable. even with a do do like ms britten, miss homely 1999.

and the prissy daughter:::::grease fire!

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2018 2:31 AM

BUT - R3, it actually happened! And if anyone questions the red flags - such as, is her mom's attitude radical, super Christian forgiveness or is it toxic, dyed in the bones misogyny? - it's handwaved. The real John was just as obviously gross, and the real Debra still kept rationalizing. Rather than deal with the threat to her kids, the threat to her own life, and her finances, she wanted to stay in her feels bubble. That's the real Debra. A 59 year old who wanted to get high off love vibes. What she wanted trumped reality at every turn.

Who can buy a guy (or woman) who loves you instantly, and not just does that, but INSISTS on it. Does a lot of shit that is clearly practiced? Are people just raging egomaniacs? At last, a sexy person who SEES me, and INSTANTLY wants to be forever with me! I totally buy it.

What is wrong with people?

Even now, she's giggly when she talks about him. Watches wedding video and says he looks happy. Apparently has not apologized to her kid. Resents "victim blaming."

It's disconcerting to me that this is a very rich, self-made woman who enabled this guy. She had a million options. There isn't the sort of economic or social desperation that would drive this. She's just all about the vibes.

AND, she thinks she's a normal person who just ran into a bad one.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2018 2:43 AM

John really worked hard to destroy anyone who crossed him, including his ex-wife and mother of his children, and his sister. He was a big, muscular, good-looking guy in real life and is played by Eric Bana in the series, though I'm not liking Bana in this. He comes off pretty flat and doesn't seem particularly attractive or charismatic so you would understand the connection.

So far, the series is staying pretty close to the original podcast. The two daughters are both incredibly vapid and self-centered, even though their protective instincts where their mother is concerned were right on. The mother is a ridiculous person. When she meets John, she's 59 and already divorced four times and has absolutely no introspection. She married him about 5 weeks after they met.

Jean Smart plays the grandmother and she's really good in this, even though her character takes her son-in-law's side after he killed her daughter. Just nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2018 3:02 AM

I've met a few people in my life who are almost pathological optimists . It's like the flip side of chronic depression. They weren't bad people mind you, they just view everything through rose colored glasses.There are so many strange aspects to this story though, particularly her non chalance when confronted with the things that John said or did I love Terra though, she rocks!

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2018 3:05 AM

I meant for there to be a period after the word did.

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2018 3:06 AM

"Ultimately, she is on her back in the parking lot, cycling her legs to ward off his stabward intentions."

This made me wheeze-laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2018 3:29 AM

If anyone wonders what kind of woman falls for a creep like this,, see DL fave Vickie Gunvalson and her empty, dry Love Tank.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2018 3:33 AM

Maybe the people in the ORIGINAL Dirty John thread might be able to help you, op.

That way you won't have to start an entirely new thread. For nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2018 3:34 AM

There's a "don't date this pyscho" type webpage with a whole thread on John. Women who encountered him for one night's hook-up and immediately got his whole deal in one. Drug addict, liar, phony, bullshit. One night! And they got the whole thing. I figure they'd have gotten it sooner only they were probably drunk when they took him home. AND several report that, like many classic/drug addict narcs, he does it with men, too. One man weighs in on his experience.

So many of these women, it didn't take long. A couple of dates, one night. Or just one night. Deborah, it took months and months. Repeatedly, the women on this thread say he was bad in bed, a bad kisser, gross hygiene (that comes out in "Dirty John". He was literally Dirty John, including fingernails.

But for Debra, a four time 59 year old rich divorcee, he was Prince Charming. Is this optimism, or denial? At some point, I think it's a moral question. If you prioritize your fantasy, and the denial that enables your fantasy, over the safety of your love ones, you are scum. 59 is too old for this. Her religion is an enabler, too. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote]There's a "don't date this pyscho" type webpage with a whole thread on John.

Link please? That sounds entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2018 3:56 AM

R9 except Vicki concocted the scheme and then blamed Brooks. She rented that coat and said it was from him. She got some schlep to pay for implants and said she bought him teeth. She bought into that fake cancer juice scam business and needed a miraculous patient to be cured by it so she could turn a profit and get Huns to buy into yet another of her MLM scams...of course he had to play the role of cancer patient, otherwise no martinis for him. Gunvalson is a whole different brand of sociopath. This Debra was stupid stupid, not stupid dishonest like Gunvalson

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2018 4:14 AM

The way Connie Britton plays her, Debra comes off as a total ditz. It's amazing to me she was ever able to build a business, she seems so stupid. I wonder what all of her other exes think of her.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2019 2:17 PM

This probably answers your question OP -as if many DLers wouldn't have done the same. Yes, there are women thinking with their pussy instead of their brains (surprise, surprise!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2019 2:24 PM

R5 Some women just hate their daughters. My mom is like that. She was a total helicopter parent to me and my brother, but flat-out hates my sister. My sister never did anything to deserve that hate.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2019 2:29 PM

As much as I have liked Eric Bana in the past, he does not come across as sexy or charismatic in this, and is not as attractive as the real John was. I think he's totally resistable in the series.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2019 2:50 PM

Alexyss Tyler explains it for you OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2019 2:51 PM

I gave up the podcast after 1 episode. There is no drama - just the sordid tale of a very dumb sad cunt.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2019 3:35 PM

The nephew on the show is hot

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 10:13 AM

In the tv series Jon fucks another guy and then blackmails him

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 9:56 AM

He must have been one helluva good lay.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 10:44 AM

Debra is a dumb ass. I read in the Daily Mail that she had met another guy and was traveling out of the country with him 6 weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2020 8:22 AM

Debra is a Narcissist and dirty john was a sociopath. Both have severe empathy disorders. This is the only way that explains this.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2020 8:36 AM

Women like that usually view their daughters as competition

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2020 9:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!