Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I AM THE NIGHT

Limited series about the Black Dahlia murder. Chris Pine stars. Patti Jenkins directs. Looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2019 3:05 PM

What time period does this take place in? It doesn’t look very 1940s....

by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2018 2:30 PM

Another Black Dahlia movie/series?

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2018 2:34 PM

It’s set in the late 40s. Hairstyles are not period appropriate imo.

It’s based on a true story, r2, so a unique angle at least.

by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2018 2:36 PM

Um. I believe it's actually set in the 60s.

[quote]Inspired by true events, I AM THE NIGHT tells the gripping story of Fauna Hodel (India Eisley), a teenage girl who is given away at birth, and grows up outside of Reno, Nevada. Fauna lives more-or-less comfortably with the mysteries of her origin, until one day she makes a discovery that leads her to question everything. As Fauna begins to investigate the secrets of her past, she meets a ruined reporter (Chris Pine), haunted by the case that undid him.

[quote]Together they follow a sinister trail that swirls ever closer to an infamous Los Angeles gynecologist, Dr. George Hodel (Jefferson Mays), a man involved in some of Hollywood’s darkest debauchery, and possibly, its most infamous unsolved crime

by Anonymousreply 4December 26, 2018 2:43 PM

This looks great. Patty Jenkins and Pine work very well together.

by Anonymousreply 5December 26, 2018 2:46 PM

Ugh. Another one of the "Chris actors" thrust upon us? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2018 2:51 PM

R6 what are you, prejudiced or something?

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2018 2:53 PM

I haven't seen Wonder Woman, but Monster was a good film and I thought Patty Jenkins did a fantastic job directing the pilot and, then, season 2 finale of The Killing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2018 2:55 PM

Does he get naked in this one?

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2018 2:58 PM

It's all the same, bland, fungible, mind-numbing, nondescript, anodyne actor. Chris Pine, Chris Klein, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Chris Hemsworth. They all put people in a Chris COMA.

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2018 3:00 PM

Chris Klein wishes he could be included in that group.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2018 3:05 PM

He looks like a younger Peter O'Toole.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2018 3:10 PM

R11 what group?

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2018 3:11 PM

[QUOTE]what group?

One of those things is not like the others.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2018 3:16 PM

[quote]I believe it's actually set in the 60s.

So, are they claiming that the girl's mother is Black Dahlia who was murdered in 1947 or merely that this girl's story is somehow connected to the doctor who has been linked by amateur sleuths to that murder?

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2018 6:01 PM

It's about the Hodel girl and her connection to Dr. Hodel, the presumed BD killer, in the mid sixties. I am not certain, but I believe that he and John Huston raped her multiple times at parties held in the Hodel home--an LA architectural landmark which looks like a Mayan temple. Steven Hodel her brother was an LAPD detective who wrote a book declaring his father to be the killer.

fun fact: her bff as a young woman was Michelle Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2018 6:43 PM

Is it on tv or movies

by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2018 7:06 PM

No, Dr. George Hodel was suspected of being the Black Dahlia killer. He was charged with incest of his daughter Tamar, who claimed that he raped and impregnated her and then forced her to get an abortion. She was sent to a detention center after his acquittal. She was later raped by another student and gave birth to that child -- Fauna Hodel. Tamar's father placed Fauna with a black family in Nevada on the condition that the child would never be formally adopted and would keep her name.

This Fauna Hodel is the main character in this miniseries. She is not half black as her birth certificate indicates. When her mother Tamar was in the juvenile detention center, she was horrified by how the black kids were mistreated by the whites, so she lied on the birth certificate as she was embarrassed.

Tamar Hodel eventually married a black man, had another daughter (Deborah), divorced and then forced the 10-year-old Deborah into prostitution to pay the bills.

by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2018 7:51 PM

Additionally, Tamar Hodel became good friends with Michelle Gilliam Phillips (Mamas and Papas). Michelle knew that Tamar had been telling the truth about the incest that she had suffered at the hands of her father. Years later, Michelle would date Jack Nicholson. She told him things about Tamar and George Hodel. Nicholson was a friend and collaborator of Roman Polanski and starred in Chinatown. In that movie, Faye Dunaway plays the role of a woman who was raped by her father (but forced to have the child).

Ironically, the father in Chinatown was played by John Huston, a former friend of Dr. George Hodel's and who once tried to rape Tamar (her mother intervened).

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2018 7:55 PM

[quote]Michelle knew that Tamar had been telling the truth about the incest that she had suffered at the hands of her father.

And yet she still called Mackenzie a liar?

by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2018 8:00 PM

Pine's lucky to have his pretty face, because that's all he has. He doesn't even have a hot body to go with it, it's totally average.

by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2018 8:21 PM

Sheesh, guys. We all know how to Google, but not all of us are deeply familiar with this case and may, ya know, want to go into the series not knowing the full history of the Hodels.

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2018 9:37 PM

Chris Pine can get back to the top of the slide and kiss my bloody bollocks. That chap is not the night. More like a midday sigh. And yeah, I am the walrus. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2018 9:41 PM

American Horror Story covered this already.

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2018 9:48 PM

loooove me my chris pine

only gets hotter with age.

very kool guy in person too

by Anonymousreply 25December 26, 2018 10:53 PM

Ide eat his ass out right there on santa monica blvd by whore corner...

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2018 11:25 PM

Did anyone else watch this? I thought it was average. The podcast the Root of Evil which is hosted by Fauna's daughters is interesting. You feel bad for Fauna because her adoptive mother was an abusive drink and her biological mother and other relatives were also fucked in the head.

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2019 7:33 PM

What a waste of time; "I Am The Night" sucked!

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2019 10:09 PM

boring show, damn with chris in it ide hoped for more, worse even than the new true detective.....and that's bad. like SLOW AS A TURTLE ON HOT PAVEMENT

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2019 7:25 AM

Don't give the op asswipe the honor of a reply, she now she a paid shill

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2019 7:38 AM

oop wrong thread sorry

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2019 10:11 AM

yea, the show so below chris pine's talent and hotness, the show is a big nothing

by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2019 10:11 AM

"William Hurt, John Hurt, John Heard, Jon Savage: One of these actors must die." David Letterman told that joke because those actors' names were often confused. Today it would be Chris Pine, Chris Klein, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, and Chris Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2019 10:22 AM

For those who are watching/have watched this series: I’m fascinated by the true life story (the Black Dahlia, the creepy Mayan inspired house on Franklin Ave., the Hodels, etc.) and I like Chris Pine as an actor.

I was super excited for the show, but found the first episode to be dull, amateurishly written, and slow—which was a big disappointment.

Sometimes the first episode of a series is not indicative of how the rest of the show will be though, so I’m curious: does it get better??

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2019 10:48 AM

Pine inherited his dad’s bad skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2019 11:02 AM

no it stays dull as fuk. pos.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2019 11:07 AM

Is the Fauna character based on real life or is she fictional? I don't remember her in all I read about the murder.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2019 11:15 AM

:( R36

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2019 11:16 AM

So far Jenkins is a one-hit wonder ("Monster"). Wonder Woman was a dreary slog.

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2019 11:45 AM

Bump. Watching this now. The most twisted and outrageous story ever, and they made a big bore of it, with all of this stupid unrelated subplots. The Chris Pine character is superfluous and annoying, and the nonstop scary music is ridiculous. The whole thing reminds me of that Manson show they fucked up a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2019 4:58 AM

^ I meant the real story is insane, and they actually made it dull.

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2019 4:59 AM

The podcast about the family is better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2019 5:20 AM

r33 = Chris Klein

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2019 5:56 AM

R35 nothing wrong there.

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2019 6:02 AM

worst series of the year so far.

chris why u in this piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2019 11:32 AM

I agree, the podcast is fascinating. That's what got me onto the show, actually. The show goes out of its way to be ......I dunno, about something else.

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 1:22 PM

[quote]Is the Fauna character based on real life or is she fictional? I don't remember her in all I read about the murder.

Yes Fauna was a real person. The real Fauna died of cancer in 2017. As another poster said the podcast Root of Evil is better than the show.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2019 12:14 AM

I'm listening to the podcast up through episode two and it is WACK.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2019 10:55 AM

Oooh, now I want to listen too, R48!

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2019 1:05 PM

I don't watch a lot of Chris Pine movies, but he seems to be aping some early Jeff Bridges in this performance.

by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2019 11:31 PM

This series really, really, really sucked.

by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2019 11:36 PM

Chris Pine was wonderful though

by Anonymousreply 52March 23, 2019 11:40 PM

There's something about the way Chris Pine looks in this series, really dirty, smelly, and unpleasant..

I used to think he was moderately attractive - no more.

by Anonymousreply 53March 23, 2019 11:49 PM

I

AM

THE NIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 54March 23, 2019 11:53 PM

I

NEED

A SHOWER!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2019 12:05 AM

I used to love Chris Pratt.

Now he's a "Christian", gun loving fatty. And he's heading to the alter with that sad looking Shriver girl.

Chris Pine is way better. Although my friends tell me he's a big boozer.

The story is a great one but the series wasn't. That doctor Hodel and that nasty J.H. were in it up to their necks.

by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2019 12:30 AM

OP's photo of Chris Pines-his lips are SO PINK AND GAY.

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2019 1:04 AM

flop, boring. dull, still love chris pine tho, the girl was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2019 12:33 PM

A better writing and producing team could have made a great series if they had focused on Steve Hodel's book Black Dahila Avenger as source material. Fauna Hodel's book One Day She'll Darken is a great book to read because it shows how Tamar Hodel's lie about Fauna being biracial caused a lot of mental issues for Fauna. Tamar would have probably good friends with Rachel Dolezal

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2019 12:56 PM

I think it's almost comic that the only reasonably effective Black Dahlia movie is the zero budget Movie of the Week version from the early 70s starring Lucie Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2019 3:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!