Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I AM THE NIGHT

Limited series about the Black Dahlia murder. Chris Pine stars. Patti Jenkins directs. Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 6003/24/2019

What time period does this take place in? It doesn’t look very 1940s....

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2018

Another Black Dahlia movie/series?

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2018

It’s set in the late 40s. Hairstyles are not period appropriate imo.

It’s based on a true story, r2, so a unique angle at least.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2018

Um. I believe it's actually set in the 60s.

[quote]Inspired by true events, I AM THE NIGHT tells the gripping story of Fauna Hodel (India Eisley), a teenage girl who is given away at birth, and grows up outside of Reno, Nevada. Fauna lives more-or-less comfortably with the mysteries of her origin, until one day she makes a discovery that leads her to question everything. As Fauna begins to investigate the secrets of her past, she meets a ruined reporter (Chris Pine), haunted by the case that undid him.

[quote]Together they follow a sinister trail that swirls ever closer to an infamous Los Angeles gynecologist, Dr. George Hodel (Jefferson Mays), a man involved in some of Hollywood’s darkest debauchery, and possibly, its most infamous unsolved crime

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2018

This looks great. Patty Jenkins and Pine work very well together.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2018

Ugh. Another one of the "Chris actors" thrust upon us? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2018

R6 what are you, prejudiced or something?

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2018

I haven't seen Wonder Woman, but Monster was a good film and I thought Patty Jenkins did a fantastic job directing the pilot and, then, season 2 finale of The Killing.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2018

Does he get naked in this one?

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2018

It's all the same, bland, fungible, mind-numbing, nondescript, anodyne actor. Chris Pine, Chris Klein, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Chris Hemsworth. They all put people in a Chris COMA.

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2018

Chris Klein wishes he could be included in that group.

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2018

He looks like a younger Peter O'Toole.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2018

R11 what group?

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2018

[QUOTE]what group?

One of those things is not like the others.

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2018

[quote]I believe it's actually set in the 60s.

So, are they claiming that the girl's mother is Black Dahlia who was murdered in 1947 or merely that this girl's story is somehow connected to the doctor who has been linked by amateur sleuths to that murder?

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2018

It's about the Hodel girl and her connection to Dr. Hodel, the presumed BD killer, in the mid sixties. I am not certain, but I believe that he and John Huston raped her multiple times at parties held in the Hodel home--an LA architectural landmark which looks like a Mayan temple. Steven Hodel her brother was an LAPD detective who wrote a book declaring his father to be the killer.

fun fact: her bff as a young woman was Michelle Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2018

Is it on tv or movies

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2018

No, Dr. George Hodel was suspected of being the Black Dahlia killer. He was charged with incest of his daughter Tamar, who claimed that he raped and impregnated her and then forced her to get an abortion. She was sent to a detention center after his acquittal. She was later raped by another student and gave birth to that child -- Fauna Hodel. Tamar's father placed Fauna with a black family in Nevada on the condition that the child would never be formally adopted and would keep her name.

This Fauna Hodel is the main character in this miniseries. She is not half black as her birth certificate indicates. When her mother Tamar was in the juvenile detention center, she was horrified by how the black kids were mistreated by the whites, so she lied on the birth certificate as she was embarrassed.

Tamar Hodel eventually married a black man, had another daughter (Deborah), divorced and then forced the 10-year-old Deborah into prostitution to pay the bills.

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2018

Additionally, Tamar Hodel became good friends with Michelle Gilliam Phillips (Mamas and Papas). Michelle knew that Tamar had been telling the truth about the incest that she had suffered at the hands of her father. Years later, Michelle would date Jack Nicholson. She told him things about Tamar and George Hodel. Nicholson was a friend and collaborator of Roman Polanski and starred in Chinatown. In that movie, Faye Dunaway plays the role of a woman who was raped by her father (but forced to have the child).

Ironically, the father in Chinatown was played by John Huston, a former friend of Dr. George Hodel's and who once tried to rape Tamar (her mother intervened).

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2018

[quote]Michelle knew that Tamar had been telling the truth about the incest that she had suffered at the hands of her father.

And yet she still called Mackenzie a liar?

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2018

Pine's lucky to have his pretty face, because that's all he has. He doesn't even have a hot body to go with it, it's totally average.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2018

Sheesh, guys. We all know how to Google, but not all of us are deeply familiar with this case and may, ya know, want to go into the series not knowing the full history of the Hodels.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2018

Chris Pine can get back to the top of the slide and kiss my bloody bollocks. That chap is not the night. More like a midday sigh. And yeah, I am the walrus. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2018

American Horror Story covered this already.

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2018

loooove me my chris pine

only gets hotter with age.

very kool guy in person too

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2018

Ide eat his ass out right there on santa monica blvd by whore corner...

by Anonymousreply 2612/26/2018

Did anyone else watch this? I thought it was average. The podcast the Root of Evil which is hosted by Fauna's daughters is interesting. You feel bad for Fauna because her adoptive mother was an abusive drink and her biological mother and other relatives were also fucked in the head.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2019

What a waste of time; "I Am The Night" sucked!

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2019

boring show, damn with chris in it ide hoped for more, worse even than the new true detective.....and that's bad. like SLOW AS A TURTLE ON HOT PAVEMENT

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2019

Don't give the op asswipe the honor of a reply, she now she a paid shill

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2019

oop wrong thread sorry

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2019

yea, the show so below chris pine's talent and hotness, the show is a big nothing

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2019

"William Hurt, John Hurt, John Heard, Jon Savage: One of these actors must die." David Letterman told that joke because those actors' names were often confused. Today it would be Chris Pine, Chris Klein, Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, and Chris Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 3303/10/2019

For those who are watching/have watched this series: I’m fascinated by the true life story (the Black Dahlia, the creepy Mayan inspired house on Franklin Ave., the Hodels, etc.) and I like Chris Pine as an actor.

I was super excited for the show, but found the first episode to be dull, amateurishly written, and slow—which was a big disappointment.

Sometimes the first episode of a series is not indicative of how the rest of the show will be though, so I’m curious: does it get better??

by Anonymousreply 3403/10/2019

Pine inherited his dad’s bad skin.

by Anonymousreply 3503/10/2019

no it stays dull as fuk. pos.

by Anonymousreply 3603/10/2019

Is the Fauna character based on real life or is she fictional? I don't remember her in all I read about the murder.

by Anonymousreply 3703/10/2019

:( R36

by Anonymousreply 3803/10/2019

So far Jenkins is a one-hit wonder ("Monster"). Wonder Woman was a dreary slog.

by Anonymousreply 3903/10/2019

Bump. Watching this now. The most twisted and outrageous story ever, and they made a big bore of it, with all of this stupid unrelated subplots. The Chris Pine character is superfluous and annoying, and the nonstop scary music is ridiculous. The whole thing reminds me of that Manson show they fucked up a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4003/13/2019

^ I meant the real story is insane, and they actually made it dull.

by Anonymousreply 4103/13/2019

The podcast about the family is better

by Anonymousreply 4203/13/2019

r33 = Chris Klein

by Anonymousreply 4303/13/2019

R35 nothing wrong there.

by Anonymousreply 4403/13/2019

worst series of the year so far.

chris why u in this piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 4503/14/2019

I agree, the podcast is fascinating. That's what got me onto the show, actually. The show goes out of its way to be ......I dunno, about something else.

by Anonymousreply 4603/14/2019

[quote]Is the Fauna character based on real life or is she fictional? I don't remember her in all I read about the murder.

Yes Fauna was a real person. The real Fauna died of cancer in 2017. As another poster said the podcast Root of Evil is better than the show.

by Anonymousreply 4703/14/2019

I'm listening to the podcast up through episode two and it is WACK.

by Anonymousreply 4803/15/2019

Oooh, now I want to listen too, R48!

by Anonymousreply 4903/15/2019

I don't watch a lot of Chris Pine movies, but he seems to be aping some early Jeff Bridges in this performance.

by Anonymousreply 5003/23/2019

This series really, really, really sucked.

by Anonymousreply 5103/23/2019

Chris Pine was wonderful though

by Anonymousreply 5203/23/2019

There's something about the way Chris Pine looks in this series, really dirty, smelly, and unpleasant..

I used to think he was moderately attractive - no more.

by Anonymousreply 5303/23/2019

I

AM

THE NIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2019

I

NEED

A SHOWER!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2019

I used to love Chris Pratt.

Now he's a "Christian", gun loving fatty. And he's heading to the alter with that sad looking Shriver girl.

Chris Pine is way better. Although my friends tell me he's a big boozer.

The story is a great one but the series wasn't. That doctor Hodel and that nasty J.H. were in it up to their necks.

by Anonymousreply 5603/23/2019

OP's photo of Chris Pines-his lips are SO PINK AND GAY.

by Anonymousreply 5703/23/2019

flop, boring. dull, still love chris pine tho, the girl was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 5803/24/2019

A better writing and producing team could have made a great series if they had focused on Steve Hodel's book Black Dahila Avenger as source material. Fauna Hodel's book One Day She'll Darken is a great book to read because it shows how Tamar Hodel's lie about Fauna being biracial caused a lot of mental issues for Fauna. Tamar would have probably good friends with Rachel Dolezal

by Anonymousreply 5903/24/2019

I think it's almost comic that the only reasonably effective Black Dahlia movie is the zero budget Movie of the Week version from the early 70s starring Lucie Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 6003/24/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!